Log 061

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> Having reunited after a short separation, our party has successfully tracked down and rescued Grand Duchess Candela and the Marquis de Cordova de la Camara-Villena, who had been banished to a Ren Faire in Chicago.
<rkcgm> Our malefactor, however – Condessa Rozas de Rosario de la Palla – was shoved through a portal by Llewelyn, and her whereabouts are unknown.
<rkcgm> Further, there is an additional threat: somewhere out there is another powerful mage who seems set on crossing swords with you all…
Havrasti is glad to be back
[2015-02-07 13:56:43] <havrasti> “So, now Sila goes looking for the Condessa’s portal?”
[2015-02-07 13:56:56] Ellie finishes up telling the Grand Duchess and Marquis about what happened to the Old Man of the Mountain, presumably after Havrasti and Sila have finished telling their stories.
[2015-02-07 13:57:59] <rkcgm> Candela calls on the Old Man and wishes him a speedy recovery.
[2015-02-07 13:58:18] <rkcgm> ((Also, by this point it’s fairly late in the evening – say seven.))
[2015-02-07 13:58:44] <sila> “Do we want to look for the Condessa? I mean…ancient dragon malice sounds like something we’d want to look into, but here-and-present-enemy has to have priority.”
[2015-02-07 13:59:22] <havrasti> “How ‘here’ is this other enemy, do you think?”
[2015-02-07 13:59:46] <ellie> “No telling. They *wereright outside the palace.”
[2015-02-07 13:59:58] <sila> “Well, based on that and what Ellie told us about the Condessa’s, eh, plotter-status? It doesn’t sound like she’s the real enemy we started out trying to find.”
[2015-02-07 14:00:26] <ellie> “I had wanted to ask the Old Man of the Mountain if he knew of anyone who wanted him dead. Haven’t gotten a chance to, yet.”
[2015-02-07 14:00:42] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “This place has too many plotters.”
[2015-02-07 14:01:24] <sila> “Yeah, I’ve been in engineering company print rooms with less plotting going on than this place.”
[2015-02-07 14:02:11] <rkcgm> ((I totally was thinking that.))
[2015-02-07 14:02:42] <sila> ((hehe :) ))
[2015-02-07 14:03:08] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “I think the Condessa might be our first priority. We don’t have enough of a lead on our mystery spell-sniper.”
[2015-02-07 14:05:03] <sila> “Hmm. Well, all right. Point me to the spot where she disappeared, and let me see what’s there to see. We might consider holding off on opening it until morning, but I may want to stabilize the remnant some in the mean time.”
[2015-02-07 14:05:59] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Well, she was standing about… here.”
[2015-02-07 14:06:14] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “And going thataway.”
[2015-02-07 14:06:33] Sila studies the nearest portal-remnant
[2015-02-07 14:08:36] <rkcgm> ((Perception versus difficult.))
[2015-02-07 14:08:41] <rkcgm> !5d6: versus
[2015-02-07 14:08:42] <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (6+1+3+2+2). Total: 14.
[2015-02-07 14:08:44] <sila> !6d6
[2015-02-07 14:08:45] <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (6+2+6+6+5+5). Total: 30.
[2015-02-07 14:08:49] <rkcgm> ((Crit))
[2015-02-07 14:08:54] <sila> !2d6
[2015-02-07 14:08:55] <painbot> [Sila] rolled “2d6”: (1+5). Total: 6.
[2015-02-07 14:09:00] <rkcgm> ((Red.))
[2015-02-07 14:11:02] <rkcgm> ((Sorry, brainderp…))
[2015-02-07 14:11:27] <rkcgm> Sila is able to determine that this also portal goes to Earth, although she can’t tell where.
[2015-02-07 14:12:22] <havrasti> “To earth? Interestingly omnious.”
[2015-02-07 14:12:22] <sila> "Huh, another Earth-bound. I wonder how the Condessa got so interested in Earth? Did she just figure it for “harder than usual to get back from” or something?"
[2015-02-07 14:13:54] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Knowledge of Earth isn’t exactly rare here – but I think a lot of people treat it as the equivalent of Purgatory. So that may explain the rationale.”
[2015-02-07 14:14:30] <ellie> “Heh. Earth: so very horrible.”
[2015-02-07 14:14:50] <ellie> “Though I suppose if you’re not used to it, and you have to hide who you are and everything…”
[2015-02-07 14:14:50] <sila> “…well, no magic I guess.”
[2015-02-07 14:15:14] <sila> “Weird, all the same.”
[2015-02-07 14:15:58] <sila> “So what do you think? Shall we see what’s there tonight, in hopes it goes as fast as finding Her Grace? Or rest first and go in the morning?”
[2015-02-07 14:16:02] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Most humans here know about Earth from the pre-1700 era. Maybe a bit as late as 1800, but not much after that.”
[2015-02-07 14:16:13] <havrasti> “Yes, but if what the Tadhg said is true and she’s with this ancient weapon of the dragons’ malice, and it’s on Earth… a bit strange.”
[2015-02-07 14:16:41] <sila> “Sure not /on/ Earth…”
[2015-02-07 14:16:47] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Maybe we should take a quick peek tonight, and go back tomorrow if it seems threatening.”
[2015-02-07 14:16:50] <sila> “At least, I hope she wasn’t /carrying/ it.”
[2015-02-07 14:17:02] Sila attempts to spin open the portal
[2015-02-07 14:17:15] <rkcgm> !5d6: difficulty check
[2015-02-07 14:17:16] <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty check”: (2+6+4+3+4). Total: 19.
[2015-02-07 14:19:02] <sila> !6d6: open sesame
[2015-02-07 14:19:03] <painbot> [Sila] rolled “open sesame”: (3+4+5+6+2+5). Total: 25.
[2015-02-07 14:19:11] <rkcgm> ((Success.))
[2015-02-07 14:20:20] Sila looks through her 5th interdimensional portal of the day
[2015-02-07 14:20:39] <sila> (not counting the Esserean-local one that blindsided her anyway :P )
[2015-02-07 14:20:50] <rkcgm> The portal opens on the interior of a large cinder-block walled room. There is only one window, and no artificial lighting. Sila immediately notes a bit of radiant heat migrating back through the portal.
[2015-02-07 14:21:33] <sila> “Hm. Did we find the depths of Africa after all…?”
[2015-02-07 14:21:54] Havrasti takes a look in as well
[2015-02-07 14:22:07] Ellie is waiting in line, watching with interest.
[2015-02-07 14:22:29] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “We want to poke our heads through?”
[2015-02-07 14:22:46] <sila> ((what kind of furnishings, if any?))
[2015-02-07 14:23:01] <havrasti> “There doesn’t seem to be an immeinant threat. Or do you really want to wait till tomorrow?”
[2015-02-07 14:23:17] <rkcgm> ((Sila, roll perception versus intermediate.))
[2015-02-07 14:23:21] <sila> “There must be an exit, I don’t see the Condessa…”
[2015-02-07 14:23:24] <sila> !6d6
[2015-02-07 14:23:25] <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (6+1+4+4+5+4). Total: 24.
[2015-02-07 14:23:32] <sila> ((or DO I? :P ))
[2015-02-07 14:23:32] <rkcgm> !4d6: versus
[2015-02-07 14:23:33] <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (2+3+2+4). Total: 11.
[2015-02-07 14:25:28] <rkcgm> Sila: in terms of decoration, it seems pretty barren, aside from a flag pasted up on one walll and bunch of cloth-rapped debris on the ground. Er… strike that, there’s a dozen bodies.
[2015-02-07 14:26:02] <sila> ((What flag?))
[2015-02-07 14:26:53] <sila> “I think this place is hostile. Or the Condessa was hostile in it. Or both.”
[2015-02-07 14:27:03] <rkcgm> This flag: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/AQMI_Flag.svg/125px-AQMI_Flag.svg.png
[2015-02-07 14:27:56] <rkcgm> Voice: “Uh. Hey. HEY! Um, help!”
[2015-02-07 14:28:13] <ellie> ((Was that English?))
[2015-02-07 14:28:19] <rkcgm> ((It was.))
[2015-02-07 14:28:26] <sila> "Also, I don’t recognize that flag specifically, but I don’t particularly associate black and arabic writing with – " breaks off at the sound of the voice
[2015-02-07 14:28:39] <sila> “Who’s calling?”
[2015-02-07 14:29:17] <rkcgm> Voice: “Uh. Technical Sergeant Jimenez.”
[2015-02-07 14:29:40] <sila> “…seen any crazy women dressed in hostile jewelry lately?”
[2015-02-07 14:29:48] <havrasti> “Sounds like we came in the mid east, not africa.”
[2015-02-07 14:30:23] <rkcgm> Voice: “Bleep Yeah. Can you, um, come rescue me please? I’ll be happy to tell you about that bleep.”
[2015-02-07 14:30:32] Havrasti enters in and looks around
[2015-02-07 14:30:37] <sila> “Yeah. I think…we should poke just one head through, carefully, in a helmet, while I keep the exit open.”
[2015-02-07 14:30:55] <rkcgm> ((Sniped by your one true love. :P ))
[2015-02-07 14:30:56] Ellie steps near the portal, to be ready in case medical help is needed.
[2015-02-07 14:31:16] Sila eeps as Havrasti puts words to action even before she finishes talking
[2015-02-07 14:31:24] <sila> “You forgot the helmet part!”
[2015-02-07 14:31:48] <rkcgm> Havrasti sees a soldier in BDUs tied up in a chair which is located behind the portal. There are another six bodies around him.
[2015-02-07 14:31:58] <sila> ((that’s what I get for long posts :P ))
[2015-02-07 14:32:07] <ellie> ((How are the bodies dressed?))
[2015-02-07 14:32:12] <rkcgm> Also, a video camera on a tripod is laying on the ground.
[2015-02-07 14:32:34] <rkcgm> ((Arabic. A few robes, a few jeans, lots and lots of head-scarves.))
[2015-02-07 14:32:37] Havrasti goes over to him and pulls the ropes off the soldier
[2015-02-07 14:33:03] <rkcgm> Llewelyn comes through the portal as well – relieves one of the bodies of an AK-47.
[2015-02-07 14:33:37] Sila hisses “Be careful you two! Get back where we can see you as quick as possible, please?”
[2015-02-07 14:33:37] Ellie still watches from the near side of the portal. Maybe a little nervously. :-p
[2015-02-07 14:33:50] <rkcgm> Sergeant Jimenez: “Thanks, man. I don’t know who you are… but thanks.”
[2015-02-07 14:34:11] <havrasti> “What was going on here?”
[2015-02-07 14:34:32] <ellie> “Um… should we maybe talk *over hererather than in potentially hostile territory?”
[2015-02-07 14:34:37] Ellie calls through the portal.
[2015-02-07 14:35:10] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Well, the bleepity-bleepers were going to bleeping cut off my head for YouTube.”
[2015-02-07 14:35:11] <havrasti> “Sure, sure… hey, uh, Sergent Jimenez. Ever been a fan of stories like Narnia?”
[2015-02-07 14:35:45] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Saw the movies. The third one was bleeping bleep.”
[2015-02-07 14:35:51] Havrasti pulls him out of the chair and towards the portal.
[2015-02-07 14:35:54] <sila> “Talk on THIS side, Havra! Move to safety now, explain later!”
[2015-02-07 14:36:05] Ellie mutters, “Saw the movies…”
[2015-02-07 14:36:18] <havrasti> “Well, it’s not Narnia, but this is no movie, either.”
[2015-02-07 14:36:47] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “I figured that out when Crazy McLady came through.”
[2015-02-07 14:36:55] <ellie> "But it doesn’t really matter where it is. It’s not *there.
"
[2015-02-07 14:37:44] <sila> “Is it an American, guys? It sounds like an American accent…”
[2015-02-07 14:38:11] <rkcgm> Jimenez looks around at the other side of the portal. “Believe me, ma’am, I’m pretty happy not to be in that bleeping place any bleeping more, WHEREVER this is!”
[2015-02-07 14:38:32] Havrasti leads the soldier through the portal. Also follows Llewelyn’s lead and grabs a gun for himself; ‘cause, why not?
[2015-02-07 14:38:51] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Oh – hey, a G3. Better than this AK.”
[2015-02-07 14:38:53] <ellie> “I can imagine. You injured at all?”
[2015-02-07 14:39:14] <rkcgm> Llewelyn switches out guns and steps back through the portal, signalling Sila to close it behind them all.
[2015-02-07 14:39:28] <sila> "The good news is, we’re Americans; the bad news is, we’re a minimum diplomatic party sent to make the official ‘permission to open diplomatic relations’ request."
[2015-02-07 14:39:31] Sila closes the portal
[2015-02-07 14:39:53] <sila> “The crazy news is, someone’s trying to frame us for trying to kill the local head of state. Fun, huh?”
[2015-02-07 14:40:18] <ellie> “Their frame is pretty broken, but that doesn’t mean the danger’s over.”
[2015-02-07 14:40:23] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Well, ma’am… Not injured per se, but definitely in need of some food and a bathroom break, in no bleeping particular order.”
[2015-02-07 14:40:57] <ellie> “We can probably manage both those things. Maybe the second first, and then you can fill us in on what happened over food.”
[2015-02-07 14:41:12] <ellie> “We were actually poking our heads through there looking for the crazy lady you mentioned, so…”
[2015-02-07 14:41:13] <havrasti> ((so how many locals are around? The Duchess or such?))
[2015-02-07 14:41:35] <rkcgm> ((The Duchess is nearby, but doing other things.))
[2015-02-07 14:42:00] <sila> “…do please make /some/ effort to observe formal vocabulary soldier, this is a palace not a battlefield. Diplomacy and all that. I realize after a near-death experience it probably seems a low priority, but still.”
[2015-02-07 14:42:55] <rkcgm> Jimenez looks slightly cowed. “Yes ma’am.”
[2015-02-07 14:43:36] Ellie goes to a nearby servant, asks directions to the nearest restroom, and also asks that food be arranged.
[2015-02-07 14:44:03] <sila> “Thank you. Permit me to introduce you to the palace guard of Elmercina, by the way. Consider them allies unless otherwise demonstrated.”
[2015-02-07 14:44:04] <rkcgm> The servant hops to it.
[2015-02-07 14:44:34] Ellie goes back over to the solder and tells him directions to the restroom.
[2015-02-07 14:44:42] <ellie> She figures that might need to be taken care of soon. :-p
[2015-02-07 14:44:58] <rkcgm> Jimenez spends five minutes in the bathroom, then returns looking slightly refreshed.
[2015-02-07 14:45:00] Sila agrees, and stops inflicting formalities on the poor man
[2015-02-07 14:45:10] <havrasti> ((probably more like a privy than a restroom :P ))
[2015-02-07 14:45:24] <ellie> ((He was on the battlefield. Whatever it is, it’s luxury. :-p ))
[2015-02-07 14:45:51] <havrasti> ((heh, fair enough))
[2015-02-07 14:46:08] <ellie> When he returns, Ellie informs him that we’ve arranged to have food brought. “In the meantime, fill us in on your story and what happened with the crazy lady.”
[2015-02-07 14:46:21] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Yes ma’am.”
[2015-02-07 14:46:28] <sila> “OK…Duchess, I request that you station a guardsman or three by this portal until we’re done and ready to dissipate it properly.”
[2015-02-07 14:48:31] <rkcgm> Jimenez stands at attention. “I’m part of a training contingent training Iraqi National Army troops to fight ISIL in northern Iraq. We got ambushed by terrorists and I was taken prisoner.”
[2015-02-07 14:49:52] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Obviously, they had a blee… er, they were going to kill me for YouTube.”
[2015-02-07 14:50:44] <sila> “I’m glad Countess le-Crazy interrupted that, anyway.”
[2015-02-07 14:51:16] <sila> “God had a hand in the timing, it would seem.”
[2015-02-07 14:51:32] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “They were setting up their camera when, bam, crazy shimmery CGI disk in the middle of the room. And about ten seconds later, your Crazy Lady comes flying through.”
[2015-02-07 14:52:43] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “All the towelheads were screaming and got their guns to bleeping waste her – er, sorry! Bad habit. But she was bouncing around off every wall screeching like a banshee.”
[2015-02-07 14:53:32] <sila> “Forgiven. /Did/ the get her?”
[2015-02-07 14:54:52] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Half the towelheads accidentally shot each other in the melee, and suddenly she just totally OWNS the rest of them with this crazy glowy green magic bleep. Er. Yeah…”
[2015-02-07 14:56:05] <sila> “No other friendlies in the room, I hope?”
[2015-02-07 14:56:45] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Nobody I’m gonna cry about.”
[2015-02-07 14:57:08] Ellie is somewhat unclear on whether that means allies he didn’t like, or no friendlies. :-p
[2015-02-07 14:57:45] <sila> “Anybody else nearby we should rescue, as fellow-citizens or allies?”
[2015-02-07 14:58:11] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Don’t think so.”
[2015-02-07 14:58:46] <sila> “OK, so the Condessa took out the hostiles with magic. What happened next?”
[2015-02-07 14:58:47] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “It was a ble… er, a miracle I didn’t get wasted, either by her or by those crazy Muslims shooting off all their AKs.”
[2015-02-07 14:59:32] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “I tried to talk to her, and she hit the ceiling. Uh, I don’t mean figuratively. I mean she actually hit the ceiling.”
[2015-02-07 14:59:51] <havrasti> “Yeah, that was Sila’s work, I think.”
[2015-02-07 14:59:54] <ellie> “Yeah. Um… more magic.”
[2015-02-07 14:59:56] <sila> “Yes, I cast that spell, and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving person, heheh.”
[2015-02-07 14:59:57] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Nice work, Sila. You definitely made her day…”
[2015-02-07 15:00:16] <ellie> “Also, I don’t know that she would have understood you anyway, though. I don’t believe she spoke English.”
[2015-02-07 15:01:06] <rkcgm> Jimenez shrugs.
[2015-02-07 15:01:23] <ellie> “At any rate, where did she go after that?”
[2015-02-07 15:02:18] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Well, she did something then that caused all the sound to stop. Then she waved her hands a bunch, and made another wacky shimmery portal, and left.”
[2015-02-07 15:03:00] <sila> “Aw, nuts. She could be anywhere in at least two worlds, then.”
[2015-02-07 15:03:04] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “So I sat there for another three hours until you guys… made your magic world door.”
[2015-02-07 15:03:27] <ellie> "Well… I suppose there’s nothing for it but to go back and try to find where she went, like you did with this one.
[2015-02-07 15:03:35] <ellie> “Not ideal, considering the location, but…”
[2015-02-07 15:04:00] <sila> “Ugh. I’m definitely not going back until I’ve had some rest and time to put on a bunch of protective spells.”
[2015-02-07 15:04:17] <rkcgm> Jimenez looks a bit skeptically at Sila: “So… um, tell me if this ain’t my bleeping business, but is this like Thor and Loki from Asgard, and dark elves, and all that sh…stuff?”
[2015-02-07 15:04:31] Ellie smirks.
[2015-02-07 15:04:38] Havrasti chuckles
[2015-02-07 15:04:41] <ellie> “Not exactly.”
[2015-02-07 15:04:42] <sila> “No. There are elves, but they are not racially dark light or otherwise.”
[2015-02-07 15:04:46] <ellie> “But… well, it may feel like it.”
[2015-02-07 15:05:19] <havrasti> “It is a fantastical world though, magic, elves, even dragons.”
[2015-02-07 15:05:31] Havrasti wonders how he’ll respond to that last bit ;)
[2015-02-07 15:05:34] <sila> “And we dragons use shape-shifting. I’m what you would properly call a native-/hatched/ American.”
[2015-02-07 15:05:49] <havrasti> ((aww, Sila went and spoiled it :P ))
[2015-02-07 15:05:59] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Right – far out, man.”
[2015-02-07 15:06:33] <sila> “Assume nothing, but trust me, you’ll get used to it faster than you think. Ellie here did.”
[2015-02-07 15:06:52] <ellie> “It’s true. I’ve known about all this for… gah, I lose track of time. But not long.”
[2015-02-07 15:06:57] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “If you don’t mind, I’m just going to tell my debriefing officer that they gave me some wicked crack cocaine, cause… okay, right, I’ve seen it, but there ain’t no way I can convince anybody of that story.”
[2015-02-07 15:07:22] <sila> “Well, DEAR will probably want to debrief you too, now that you’ve been here.”
[2015-02-07 15:07:25] <ellie> “Heh. That’s probably for the best. It mostly needs to be kept secret, anyway.”
[2015-02-07 15:07:53] <ellie> “…Actually… we’ll need to get you back one way or another. It may be best for you if we bring you back to *them,because they’ll be able to figure out the best cover story for you.”
[2015-02-07 15:08:00] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “DEAR? What’s DEAR?”
[2015-02-07 15:08:14] <sila> “Men in Black, but for magic instead of space aliens.”
[2015-02-07 15:08:34] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “DEAR is like SHIELD, only with more magic and less Iron Man.”
[2015-02-07 15:08:47] <havrasti> “They don’t use neurolizers, though. At least as far as I’ve seen.”
[2015-02-07 15:08:49] <sila> “What’s SHIELD?”
[2015-02-07 15:08:58] Sila does not read comic books :P
[2015-02-07 15:09:02] Ellie is amused. But also figures that the pop culture references arethe best explanation.
[2015-02-07 15:09:16] <rkcgm> Llewelyn turns to Sila: “It’s from The Avengers.”
[2015-02-07 15:09:54] <sila> “Oh, right. Well close enough then, I guess. Take all the movie references with a /big/ grain of salt though.”
[2015-02-07 15:10:07] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Okay, I get that.”
[2015-02-07 15:10:51] <sila> “But yeah, DEAR is the right agency to get you connected back up with the regular military without getting you committed to the nearest psych ward.”
[2015-02-07 15:10:55] Ellie imagines him debriefing with Douglas, and stifles another smirk.
[2015-02-07 15:11:09] <havrasti> ((he seems to be taking it rather well; or perhaps it just hasn’t fully hit him yet :P ;) ))
[2015-02-07 15:11:12] <ellie> “Or in trouble for being places you shouldn’t.”
[2015-02-07 15:11:18] <sila> ((I’m betting on the latter :P ))
[2015-02-07 15:11:33] <ellie> ((He was about to have his head cut off. He’s not going to argue with how that was avoided, no matter WHAT it was. :-p )
[2015-02-07 15:12:04] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Yeah… about getting me back to my unit… uh, don’t suppose I can text my wife from here, can I?”
[2015-02-07 15:12:33] <havrasti> “No signal, sorry.”
[2015-02-07 15:12:36] <sila> “Alas, Esserea doesn’t even have /local/ wi-fi, never mind inter-dimensional.”
[2015-02-07 15:12:42] <ellie> “Aaaah. No, that signal won’t go through. But Sila… do you think you have a portal back to DEAR in you tonight? That really might be the best way of handling things all the way around.”
[2015-02-07 15:13:18] <sila> “I…yeah, maybe. I’m wondering if we’ll want backup for when we go back /there/ to check out the other portal, though…”
[2015-02-07 15:14:09] <sila> “Though it’s probably not fair to ask Sergeant Jimenez to do it…”
[2015-02-07 15:14:15] Ellie looks uncertain and shrugs. “If he tries to help us at all, that’s just longer that he’s missing and no one knows what happened to him.”
[2015-02-07 15:14:41] <ellie> “I mean, I can keep us *invisiblewhen we go back there to check out the portal…”
[2015-02-07 15:14:54] <sila> “Yeah, all right. Let’s spin the one I used before open again, it’ll take less energy, and it’ll be less likely to come out on Doug’s desk.”
[2015-02-07 15:14:55] <ellie> “And of course, now that I think about it, you won’t need my help.”
[2015-02-07 15:15:13] <sila> “Everyone else will!”
[2015-02-07 15:15:41] <ellie> “Yeah, I know. Just saying, we’ve got that well covered.”
[2015-02-07 15:15:45] Sila sniffs
[2015-02-07 15:16:04] Ellie looks around to see if anyone has shown up with food, since we’re talking about sending the soldier back, and he’s still hungry. :-p
[2015-02-07 15:16:11] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “Hey, I am totally awesome with the concept of getting home.”
[2015-02-07 15:16:23] <sila> “Smells like food – let’s let him eat first, then if he ends up tangled in red tape at least he’ll be fed.”
[2015-02-07 15:16:28] <rkcgm> ((Food arrived during the conversation – GM just forgot.))
[2015-02-07 15:16:45] <ellie> “Yes, yes, food first.”
[2015-02-07 15:17:08] Sila checks it for poison
[2015-02-07 15:17:22] <rkcgm> There is no poison.
[2015-02-07 15:18:19] Sila does some figuring while he eats…
[2015-02-07 15:18:50] <sila> “Llewelyn, what do you figure is the time difference between here and HQ right now? I didn’t think to look at the clock while I was there.”
[2015-02-07 15:19:13] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “It’s probably mid-morning.”
[2015-02-07 15:20:01] <sila> “Oh, good. We won’t freak people out too much by showing up in Douglass’s outer office then, relatively speaking.”
[2015-02-07 15:20:10] <sila> “…that portal-magnet isn’t working so well.”
[2015-02-07 15:20:51] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Yeah, I know. It’s what you get when you task me of making something to attract portals when I know nothing about portals.”
[2015-02-07 15:21:16] <sila> “It threw off my aim when I was /trying/ for the lobby… I guess I better see if I can do anything about it when we get home.”
[2015-02-07 15:21:24] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “In fairness, it’s worked well enough to get SOME people, at least.”
[2015-02-07 15:22:09] <sila> “Well, from the research we did between missions, it works better on some kinds of magic than others.”
[2015-02-07 15:22:18] <rkcgm> ((Clarification: Wayf thought someone other than Llewelyn made the magnet. I thought he helped make it. If not, clarify the above statement as required.))
[2015-02-07 15:24:26] Ellie has seen to making sure the soldier is taken care of and translating any requests if he should have him. But he’s a soldier who’s just come from the battle field; he’s quickly finished.
[2015-02-07 15:24:57] <rkcgm> After letting Jimenez finish up his dinner, Sila manages another portal back to DEAR HQ.
[2015-02-07 15:25:40] Sila comes out where she cast last time, using her previous portal as a guide; therefore we appear in the Outer office this time, and have the opportunity to actually knock ;)
[2015-02-07 15:25:58] Ellie follows the others through, figuring we’ll all want to report in.
[2015-02-07 15:26:29] Havrasti comes along too, of course
[2015-02-07 15:26:40] <ellie> Once they get through, she comments as an aside to Jimenez, “From *here,you ought to be able to get a text to your wife.”
[2015-02-07 15:26:50] <sila> “Sergeant Jimenez, welcome do D.E.A.R. headquarters.”
[2015-02-07 15:26:56] Sila knocks on Doug’s door
[2015-02-07 15:27:27] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Woof.”
[2015-02-07 15:27:48] <rkcgm> Hickory: “Come in, Sila.”
[2015-02-07 15:28:19] <rkcgm> Jimenez: “…I’ll need to get a cell phone to text her.”
[2015-02-07 15:28:32] <ellie> “We’ll probably be able to arrange that, too.”
[2015-02-07 15:28:42] <sila> “Hi Doug! Hi Hickory! I’m pleased to introduce Tech Sergeant Jimenez, whom the crazy Condessa accidentally saved from beheading in the middle east.”
[2015-02-07 15:29:20] <sila> “She also made a portal to Chicago by the way – we really need to do some more work on the magnet.”
[2015-02-07 15:29:23] <havrasti> “We found him when following the portal she went through, though it best to bring him here.”
[2015-02-07 15:30:22] <sila> “We need some backup, though, ‘cause we have to go back there, and there’s a whole bunch of dead terrorists in the room right now.”
[2015-02-07 15:30:38] <ellie> “He’ll need help working out a cover story for why he’s here rather than in Iraq, but… we figured you could handle that.”
[2015-02-07 15:31:00] <rkcgm> Hickory rises and shakes Jimenez’s hand. “Good to meet you, Sergeant Jimenez.”
[2015-02-07 15:33:04] <rkcgm> Hickory: “I did hear about your capture on the news. We’ll do our best to take care of you.”
[2015-02-07 15:33:35] <ellie> "He’d also love it if at some point he could borrow a cell phone to text his wife. Especially considering the news thing….
[2015-02-07 15:33:37] <ellie> :
[2015-02-07 15:33:40] <rkcgm> Hickory (and Douglas, on his doggie-bed) throw an ‘I expect explanations’ look at Llewelyn, then Sila.
[2015-02-07 15:34:33] Ellie notices the look and suggests, “Perhaps he could borrow one now and step outside to call while we report? That way she doesn’t have to worry any longer.”
[2015-02-07 15:34:45] <sila> “We’ll report properly, I promise. Just leading with the critical data, yeah?”
[2015-02-07 15:35:31] <sila> (aside to Jimenez) “I’ve done this to him twice today, I might get a demerit or something.”
[2015-02-07 15:36:12] <rkcgm> Hickory: “…Sergeant, I recognize that you’re no doubt anxious to contact your wife, but let me at least get the full story from my agents before that.”
[2015-02-07 15:36:42] <rkcgm> Hickory buzzes in his secretary and asks her to take Jimenez to a place where he can rest and relax.
[2015-02-07 15:36:50] <sila> “He was tied up in a chair for hours, maybe he’d like a nap in a real bed?”
[2015-02-07 15:37:50] <rkcgm> Hickory: “Of course. One of the bunk-rooms will do nicely.”
[2015-02-07 15:39:16] Sila sits down on the nearest sittable surface with a yawn.
[2015-02-07 15:39:21] <rkcgm> Jimenez thinks this sounds pretty good, and departs with another round of ‘thank-yous’.
[2015-02-07 15:40:01] <sila> “An early bedtime wouldn’t hurt me either, that’s my 5th inter-dimensional today and I’ve got to open it back to Esserea again before I sleep.”
[2015-02-07 15:40:27] <sila> “…7th.”
[2015-02-07 15:40:28] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Not so fast. Where did this guy come from, huh?”
[2015-02-07 15:40:44] <havrasti> “From the palace in Elemancha.”
[2015-02-07 15:40:56] <sila> “Somewhere in the middle east.”
[2015-02-07 15:41:01] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sure, smart-alec.”
[2015-02-07 15:41:28] <ellie> “He in Iraq, and his unit got ambushed.”
[2015-02-07 15:41:43] <havrasti> ((oh, thought he asked where we came from :P ))
[2015-02-07 15:41:54] <ellie> “The Islamics who took him were about to behead him.”
[2015-02-07 15:42:33] <sila> “Via the palace.” *YAWN"Look, I told you before about the condessa portaling people all over the place – it turns out she hit me as previously reported, Havrasti but he just had to fly in from offshore, the Duchess and her head of security were the ones that ended up by Chicago, and Llewelyn tossed the condessa herself through the Iraqui one."
[2015-02-07 15:42:49] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Yeah, he’s been on the news.”
[2015-02-07 15:43:21] <rkcgm> Douglas: “…wait, we have an Elmercinan mage running around Iraq now?”
[2015-02-07 15:43:39] <ellie> “No, she portaled out as soon as she got things under control.”
[2015-02-07 15:43:40] <havrasti> “He said she made another portal and went elsewhere.”
[2015-02-07 15:44:05] <ellie> “We haven’t had a chance to investigate where yet. It’s on the late side, we’re tired, and the remnants of the portal are on hostile ground.”
[2015-02-07 15:44:13] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Erg. That at least saves me a bit of a headache.”
[2015-02-07 15:44:20] <sila> “So the God you refuse to acknowldge arranged for her to show up /in the same room/ as the beheading party, /at the same time/ as they were setting up. She killed most of the them, excepting a few that killed each other trying to shoot her with each other for backstops.”
[2015-02-07 15:44:53] <ellie> “We do plan to go back and try to track her down, but preferably after we’ve all had a chance to rest.”
[2015-02-07 15:45:16] <sila> “The Sergeant was /miraculously/ unharmed, and she didn’t kill him herself either before portaling out to who knows where, and when we tried to follow her a few hours later we found and rescued him.”
[2015-02-07 15:46:06] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Thank you, Agent; your opinions are noted.”
[2015-02-07 15:46:23] <rkcgm> Douglas: “So what did he see of our business?”
[2015-02-07 15:46:41] <ellie> “The portals, for one thing. And whatever magic the Contessa was throwing around.”
[2015-02-07 15:47:00] <sila> “Deadly green magic. Also: Technically, we don’t know what world she’s on. The Condessa, I mean.”
[2015-02-07 15:47:43] <ellie> “By way of explanation, we’ve likened things to Narnia, and Agents of Shield. I think he’s just content not to be dead, at any rate.”
[2015-02-07 15:48:04] <sila> “He proposed telling his commanding officer the terrorists drugged him.”
[2015-02-07 15:48:27] <ellie> “We said we should bring him here, and that you guys would be the best ones to suggest a cover story.”
[2015-02-07 15:48:42] <rkcgm> Douglas: “That sounds like a reasonable idea on his part.”
[2015-02-07 15:48:51] <sila> “The doctors would’ve caught the lie though, no?”
[2015-02-07 15:49:02] <havrasti> “I think he half believes it himself.”
[2015-02-07 15:49:34] <sila> “Yeah, if he wakes up in a hospital in Iraq he’ll probably believe it’s just a dream. Mean thing to do to a guy, though.”
[2015-02-07 15:49:58] <ellie> “It could also be reported that ‘we’ happened to have top-secret agents in the area who managed to rescue him.”
[2015-02-07 15:50:04] <ellie> “If we wanted to go a different direction.”
[2015-02-07 15:50:16] <ellie> “No need to define ‘we.’ It would be too top-secret to disclose details.”
[2015-02-07 15:50:44] <rkcgm> Douglas: “That’s the direction I’d suggest. We’ll have him back to his family within a day, though.”
[2015-02-07 15:50:53] <sila> “Top-secret operatives on a separate mission found and rescued him; magic portals were just a dream?”
[2015-02-07 15:51:29] <ellie> “No need for anyone to know magic portals were involved. Except for him. You can evaluate whether he’s able to keep a secret, but… well, he made the sensible remark that no one would believe him, anyway.”
[2015-02-07 15:52:35] <sila> "Getting back to the whole “where is the condessa” question, though. If we’re going to trace her, we have to go back to her last known location, /in Iraq/ in a terrorist compound. So about that backup?"
[2015-02-07 15:53:03] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sure. You want a SEAL team or something?”
[2015-02-07 15:53:42] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Or maybe I could send along two of the dragons who work for us.”
[2015-02-07 15:53:51] Sila looks to Llewelyn to evaluate this suggestion
[2015-02-07 15:54:10] <havrasti> “I thought we were the only two dragons that work for you.”
[2015-02-07 15:54:36] <rkcgm> Douglas looks amused and wags his tail: “Woof woof.”
[2015-02-07 15:54:53] Ellie rolls her eyes. “I think that was his point. But really, it’s not *unreasonableto have back-up, especially when the Iraqis figure out someone raided their base.”
[2015-02-07 15:54:54] <sila> “I don’t count, I’m going to be the one too busy doing magic to defend herself from terrorists in the first place.”
[2015-02-07 15:55:22] <ellie> “Besides, do you really want the dragons acting /as dragons/ in front of people not in the know?”
[2015-02-07 15:55:38] <havrasti> “We can secure the area first, Sila. Get all raory and stuff.”
[2015-02-07 15:56:09] <sila> “…I have no idea what muslims would make of live dragons. Would the be liable to take us for demons?”
[2015-02-07 15:56:11] Ellie sighs. “Roaring first is likely to draw danger *tothe area, not secure it…”
[2015-02-07 15:56:56] <sila> “I don’t want a bullet to the head in any form. Can we at least get proper helmets?”
[2015-02-07 15:58:47] Sila (thinks about asking for a refresher on the ROE for dealing with terrorists on foreign soil, considers what’s going on with the Condessa, and decides ignorance is easier to work with than rules right now.)
[2015-02-07 15:59:16] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Seriously speaking – the four of you will likely be safer alone than if I attempted to send our Seal Team along.”
[2015-02-07 15:59:58] <rkcgm> Douglas: “If you REALLY want a Seal Team, then we’ll make it look like we rescued Jimenez at the same time.”
[2015-02-07 16:00:18] <sila> “…I /really/ want a helmet and a bulletproof vest.”
[2015-02-07 16:00:42] <rkcgm> Douglas: “That’s fine. Llewelyn, fetch.”
[2015-02-07 16:00:51] <ellie> “Pfttt.”
[2015-02-07 16:01:18] <rkcgm> Llewelyn smirks. “Woof woof.” *Pant
Pant*Pant ((Leaves room.))
[2015-02-07 16:01:28] <rkcgm> Douglas: “…everyone has to be a comedian.”
[2015-02-07 16:01:30] Ellie snickers.
[2015-02-07 16:01:37] <ellie> “You included?”
[2015-02-07 16:01:54] <rkcgm> Douglas: “…woof woof.”
[2015-02-07 16:02:00] <ellie> “Indeed.”
[2015-02-07 16:02:19] <sila> “I think I just learned the word for ‘obviously’ in doggish.”
[2015-02-07 16:03:51] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Well, if you want a Seal Team, then I’ll arrange it. Give me… uh, twelve hours, say? Then teleport yourselves back here.”
[2015-02-07 16:04:22] <ellie> “I want to do this the safest way possible. If that’s not with a Seal Team, let’s not complicate it.”
[2015-02-07 16:04:36] Havrasti wonders if there are SEAL teams that are “in the know”
[2015-02-07 16:04:56] <ellie> “But it was an enemy compound, and that enemy just sustained serious losses in that building. Won’t that have them watching it more closely? That’s my biggest concern.”
[2015-02-07 16:05:24] <havrasti> ((and DH reminds me that there are; selkies :P ))
[2015-02-07 16:07:29] <rkcgm> Douglas: “If they want to watch it more closely, great. I can also arrange some Apache gunship pilots who want to watch it more closely, too.”
[2015-02-07 16:08:23] <sila> “I’m guessing some folks in the regular military would like a good look too, eventually.”
[2015-02-07 16:09:34] Ellie looks somewhat confused at Douglas’ answer, but says nothing.
[2015-02-07 16:09:51] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Is something wrong, Miss Ross?”
[2015-02-07 16:10:35] <ellie> “I just… am not sure how to connect your answer with my question. How does having gunship pilots watching the area help us if they’re also on the alert and watching.”
[2015-02-07 16:13:10] <rkcgm> Douglas: “I doubt the terrorists will try to return so soon to an area where they’ve been hit hard already. If they do try it, then they’ll have broken concealment – and they know that invites a lot of Hellfire missiles.”
[2015-02-07 16:14:24] <sila> “Ah. Just make sure they don’t shoot us, then.”
[2015-02-07 16:14:29] <ellie> “So you expect that the Contessa’s… massacre there has actually made the area relatively safe?”
[2015-02-07 16:15:22] <havrasti> “That’s what I would have though.”
[2015-02-07 16:15:25] <havrasti> *thought
[2015-02-07 16:15:37] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sure. Whatever cell they had operating there, it’s probably taken massive casualties, if what you’ve said is accurate. Over a dozen dead terrorists? A good day’s work.”
[2015-02-07 16:16:53] <ellie> “Well… in that case, I’m content going back without dragging other people in.”
[2015-02-07 16:17:06] <ellie> “So long as we have the bulletproof gear and whatnot that Sila’s wanting.”
[2015-02-07 16:17:07] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Still, maybe they’ll be stupid and try to engage you when we run in the Seal Team.”
[2015-02-07 16:18:07] <rkcgm> Llewelyn returns. “ACH Helmet and Kevlar vest, as requested.”
[2015-02-07 16:19:33] <ellie> “Well… is there anything else we need to arrange, or are there any other questions we need to answer?”
[2015-02-07 16:20:06] <rkcgm> Douglas: “Nothing I need to know about.”
[2015-02-07 16:20:41] Sila tries on the gear
[2015-02-07 16:21:10] <ellie> “Just so we’re clear… when we do go back, *arewe trying to coordinate with anyone else, or are we free to go whenever? Sorry, if that seemed decided, but I just want to be sure we understand.”
[2015-02-07 16:21:15] <sila> “Thanks. Hehe.”
[2015-02-07 16:21:21] <havrasti> “Oh, what about if the Duchess wants to send a military representative with us? Afterall, it’s to find a traitor to herself.”
[2015-02-07 16:22:22] <ellie> “I would think that would be her prerogative, but….”
[2015-02-07 16:23:17] <rkcgm> Douglas: “You should come back here in twelve hours to pick up the Seals for the raid. It’ll at least give us the opportunity to ‘stage’ Jimenez’s rescue.”
[2015-02-07 16:23:37] <ellie> “Okay.”
[2015-02-07 16:23:44] <sila> “That sounds efficient.”
[2015-02-07 16:25:31] <havrasti> “Fine with me.”
[2015-02-07 16:25:44] <havrasti> “Ready to make that portal, Sila?”
[2015-02-07 16:25:55] Sila stands up and stretches
[2015-02-07 16:26:06] <sila> “OK, last one for today.”
[2015-02-07 16:26:11] Sila opens the portal again
[2015-02-07 16:28:00] <rkcgm> The palace beckons.
[2015-02-07 16:28:12] Ellie returns to the palace along with the others.
[2015-02-07 16:30:45] <ellie> “Well, guys, shall we trouble the palace staff for some food before heading to bed?”
[2015-02-07 16:30:54] <ellie> “It’s probably dinner time by now.”
[2015-02-07 16:31:58] <havrasti> ((when was the ball supposed to take place?))
[2015-02-07 16:32:04] <sila> “…foooood…”
[2015-02-07 16:32:38] <havrasti> (sorry, Sila, the Condessa isn’t here. :P ;) )
[2015-02-07 16:32:51] <rkcgm> ((Hee!))
[2015-02-07 16:32:53] <sila> (( :P ))
[2015-02-07 16:33:06] Ellie finds the servants again and asks if we could arrange a meal.
[2015-02-07 16:33:44] <ellie> She also asks where the Grand Duchess is so we can report that we’re back.
[2015-02-07 16:34:06] <rkcgm> The servants have been instructed to treat you like the Grand Duchess’s own family, and Candela invites you to join her for a late dinner.
[2015-02-07 16:34:58] <havrasti> “Sounds good to me.”
[2015-02-07 16:39:23] <sila> “Dinner works. Dinner has food and precedes rest.”
[2015-02-07 16:39:25] <rkcgm> Candela seems to have recovered from her post-portalling funk.
[2015-02-07 16:40:30] <ellie> “Well, our endeavors are… progressing, at least. We were able to rescue a soldier from our country from hostile territory and arrange for back-up going back in to try to follow the Contessa.”
[2015-02-07 16:41:20] <rkcgm> Candela: “Good. I’m anxious to find out what happened to her.”
[2015-02-07 16:42:05] <ellie> “Well, as an intermediary step, she got tossed into a situation that ought to have scared the living daylights out of her, at least for a short period. From the sounds of it, she did collect herself in the end.”
[2015-02-07 16:43:28] <rkcgm> Candela smiles. “I shall pray for her.”
[2015-02-07 16:44:24] Ellie smiles as well, though quite seriously. “Good. That is the best thing to do.”
[2015-02-07 16:44:44] <sila> “What are we going to do about mystery-assasin in the mean time?”
[2015-02-07 16:45:24] <ellie> “The only lead I can think of would be to talk to the Old Man of the Mountain. I mean, it’s interesting that he was the one targeted; I’d like to know why. Other than that…”
[2015-02-07 16:46:01] <sila> “Watch out for anyone else doing magic, and pray?”
[2015-02-07 16:46:38] <ellie> “Pretty much. How *isthe Old Man of the Mountain doing, by the way? Think there’s any chance we might be able to talk with him tonight?”
[2015-02-07 16:46:48] Ellie asks the Grand Duchess.
[2015-02-07 16:49:48] <rkcgm> Candela: “The dear old man seems to be recovering very well. Humble Prospero is still with him, although I think he’s getting on everyone’s nerves.”
[2015-02-07 16:50:09] <ellie> “Hmmm. How so?”
[2015-02-07 16:51:26] <rkcgm> Candela smiles. “Prospero is a very nervous sort. There’s a reason he locks himself in a monastary.”
[2015-02-07 16:53:43] <havrasti> ((the perfect cover for a villainous mastermind! :P ))
[2015-02-07 16:55:13] <sila> “OK, wild paranoia time: Supposing for the sake of argument Prospero was our assasin with the rings. If he had a ring-puppet outside, and cast a spell through said puppet, would it still look like it came from outside even though he was the real origin?”
[2015-02-07 16:56:02] <ellie> “I… don’t think it was Prospero. I kinda mind-scanned him to see if he was guilty of what was going on, and from all I could tell, he wasn’t.”
[2015-02-07 16:56:43] <sila> "OK, good. Back to “the assasin is outside not inside” then. I like that paranaoia level better anyhow."
[2015-02-07 16:58:33] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “I don’t suspect Prospero, either. I sensed his magic when he and Ellie were trying to heal the Old Man. He doesn’t have sufficient subtlety of skill, and not much in the way of practice.”
[2015-02-07 17:01:14] <ellie> “Well… I think if anything remains to be done tonight, it would be talking with both of them, at any rate.”
[2015-02-07 17:01:27] <havrasti> “Ok, so back to it being an outside force, who would be the most likely?”
[2015-02-07 17:01:27] <ellie> “After that, rest. Because we’ll need it for tomorrow.”
[2015-02-07 17:01:35] Havrasti looks to Candela
[2015-02-07 17:02:55] <rkcgm> Candela: “I’m afraid I’m out of ideas. The only four mages in Elmercina with any sort of skill or power are myself, the Condessa, Prospero, and the Old Man.”
[2015-02-07 17:03:17] <sila> “So who outside of Elmercina wants you out of power?”
[2015-02-07 17:03:30] <rkcgm> Candela: “If it is not one of them – and the Condessa’s plotting aside, I suspect it is not – then it must be someone else.”
[2015-02-07 17:04:20] <rkcgm> Candela: “The only people I can think of – perhaps – would be the Teseans.”
[2015-02-07 17:05:50] <sila> “And their motive is…?”
[2015-02-07 17:08:26] <rkcgm> Candela: “We have warred with the Teseans many times over the past few years. My half-sister married the King of Gornine simply to solidify an alliance against them.”
[2015-02-07 17:09:44] <sila> “Ah. They would be the ‘usual suspects’ for foreign intrigue then.”
[2015-02-07 17:10:42] <rkcgm> Candela: “Naturally so. Of course, being one of the ‘usual suspects’ means nothing.”
[2015-02-07 17:11:26] <sila> “It’s not evidence, just a place to start maybe.”
[2015-02-07 17:12:13] Sila devours whatever food isn’t claimed by others with great efficiency while trying to think
[2015-02-07 17:12:19] <ellie> “Are we all done? Maybe we can go talk with the Old Man and Prospero now. That actually seems to be the best lead we have.”
[2015-02-07 17:12:34] <ellie> “I don’t suspect Prospero, but he still may know something that would help us.”
[2015-02-07 17:14:38] Havrasti contests Sila for some of the last of the food
[2015-02-07 17:15:02] <havrasti> “Oh, talking to them sounds like a good idea.”
[2015-02-07 17:15:30] Sila beats him to the last slice of meat, then considers, and divides it… /almost/ evenly with him :P
[2015-02-07 17:16:08] <rkcgm> Candela: “I shall accompany you. This matter affects me far too closely.”
[2015-02-07 17:16:30] <ellie> “Of course. It only makes sense. After all, something they say may ring bells with you that we would miss.”
[2015-02-07 17:16:51] Sila runs out of food and announces, “I have reached two conclusions.”
[2015-02-07 17:17:53] <sila> “1: someone needs to check out the condessa’s residence in case she did the most obvious thing and portalled herself straight home. 2: Crossing the boundary of worlds six times in as many hours takes a lot out of a person.”
[2015-02-07 17:18:36] <ellie> “Hmmm. Actually… searching her home might have precedent, even if she didn’t portal herself home. She may have papers or something that could yield evidence.”
[2015-02-07 17:18:45] Havrasti pats Sila sympathetically
[2015-02-07 17:18:46] <rkcgm> Candela: “I’ve already ordered surreptitious spying on her home.”
[2015-02-07 17:19:44] <ellie> “Any outright searching? Surreptitious spying would not reveal fi she’d hidden anything there that could provide clues.”
[2015-02-07 17:21:26] <rkcgm> Candela: “I – or one of you – would need to be the ones to do it. The Condessa’s acumen in magic would likely keep anyone but another mage from discovering well-hidden secrets. Assuming they are not perilously trapped.”
[2015-02-07 17:22:17] <ellie> “That’s a fair point. And it’s probably not something any of us feel like doing tonight. Well, then, talking and then bedtime.”
[2015-02-07 17:22:21] <havrasti> “Hmm, when would you like to get to that?”
[2015-02-07 17:22:51] <ellie> Well, we need to find the Contessa, and once we do that, it may be a moot point, anyway.
[2015-02-07 17:23:16] <ellie> “But at any rate, I’d say… after we find the Contessa. That’s the more time-sensitive matter.”
[2015-02-07 17:24:35] <rkcgm> Condessa: “Truth. And there is still the ball, although I rescheduled it for tomorrow night.” She looks amused. “I would appreciate it if you would attend.”
[2015-02-07 17:25:23] <havrasti> “Hopefully we’ll be less tired by that time.”
[2015-02-07 17:25:28] Sila leans on Havrasti’s shoulder.
[2015-02-07 17:25:37] <sila> “… zzz …”
[2015-02-07 17:25:50] <havrasti> “Hmmm, but I think it’s time to take this dragoness to bed.”
[2015-02-07 17:26:24] <rkcgm> Candela giggles: “Oh dear.”
[2015-02-07 17:27:05] Sila starts awake
[2015-02-07 17:27:09] Havrasti picks Sila up, easily
[2015-02-07 17:27:23] <ellie> “She’s done a lot of work today. Maybe Havrasti can get her off to bed, and you can come with me to talk with The Old Man of the Mountain and Humble Prospero before I head off to bed, myself.”
[2015-02-07 17:27:41] <sila> “DEAR again? Can it wait for – eep! Oh. Hey Havra.”
[2015-02-07 17:28:51] <rkcgm> Candela summons a servant and instructs them to set your party up in rooms in the palace.
[2015-02-07 17:29:27] Sila puts an arm around Havrasti’s neck and goes back to sleep
[2015-02-07 17:29:29] <havrasti> “Oh, and perhaps fetch our belongings from the hotel?”
[2015-02-07 17:29:45] <rkcgm> Candela: “Done and done.”
[2015-02-07 17:32:23] <rkcgm> The Old Man of the Mountain is awake when you arrive at his room. Humble Prospero, who was clearly a mother hen in a previous life, is puttering around the room.
[2015-02-07 17:32:42] Ellie greets them both as we enter.
[2015-02-07 17:33:21] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero jerks in surprise. “Your Grace! Your Wisdoms. You startled me.”
[2015-02-07 17:34:00] <ellie> “Aaah, sorry. We just came to ask a few questions, trying to untangle everything that’s been going on.”
[2015-02-07 17:34:12] Ellie takes a seat somewhat near The Old Man of the Mountain.
[2015-02-07 17:34:31] <ellie> “…Straight to the point, has anyone told you what happened to you?”
[2015-02-07 17:34:40] <ellie> she asks the Old Man.
[2015-02-07 17:37:14] <rkcgm> The Old Man: “He,” nodding to Prospero, “Told me that God was punishing me for my sins, and smote my heart with a curse as a warning.”
[2015-02-07 17:37:26] <rkcgm> Prospero sputters: “That’s not what I said!”
[2015-02-07 17:37:31] Ellie looks displeased.
[2015-02-07 17:37:38] <rkcgm> Old Man: “That’s what you meant.”
[2015-02-07 17:37:40] <ellie> “That is *notwhat happened.”
[2015-02-07 17:38:07] <ellie> She looks at Prospero with narrowed eyes. If he feels guilty because of it, so much the better.
[2015-02-07 17:38:17] <rkcgm> Prospero looks like he just swallowed all of his teeth. “That is not what I meant, either!”
[2015-02-07 17:39:41] Ellie sighs. “For the moment, let’s get to what actually *didhappen. At first, we thought you’d had a heart attack. But what happened to you wasn’t just some natural thing. In the course of investigating, Llewelyn found traces of magic that revealed that a caster attacked your heart with magic from outside the palace.”
[2015-02-07 17:39:58] <ellie> “It was an unexpected piece to this whole puzzle, and we’re trying to figure out where it fits.”
[2015-02-07 17:40:31] <ellie> “Can you, sir,” Ellie nods to The Old Man, “Or you, for that matter,” she looks to Prospero, “think of anyone who might be able to target you in this way, and want to do so?”
[2015-02-07 17:44:08] <rkcgm> Old Man: "Able to target me in this way? Humph… not particularly. And I have no enemies left. I outlived them all.
[2015-02-07 17:44:42] <ellie> “You have had enemies, then. Might any of them have had heirs or protoges who might carry on a grudge?”
[2015-02-07 17:48:46] <rkcgm> Old Man shrugs: “Unlikely.”
[2015-02-07 17:49:06] <rkcgm> Old Man: “I prefer to stay away from people at all cost.”
[2015-02-07 17:50:35] Ellie sighs. “It just seems odd that you, out of the entire court, would be targeted. I’d hoped maybe you could help us in working out why.”
[2015-02-07 17:51:35] <rkcgm> Old Man: “It’s not that odd. I’m a wizard – the oldest one in these isles.”
[2015-02-07 17:53:17] <rkcgm> Old Man: “Her Grace is quite strong and skilled for her years, but I’ve been what I am for sixty years.”
[2015-02-07 17:54:06] <rkcgm> The Old Man suddenly looks thoughtful.
[2015-02-07 17:54:35] <ellie> “Yes?”
[2015-02-07 17:55:20] <rkcgm> Old Man: “Patience, young lady. Let an old man think.”
[2015-02-07 17:55:32] Ellie grins a bit and nods.
[2015-02-07 17:55:44] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero: “If there’s anything I can-”
[2015-02-07 17:55:57] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero suddenly mutes, even though he keeps talking.
[2015-02-07 17:56:05] Ellie stifles a giggle.
[2015-02-07 17:56:30] <havrasti> (but was it the Old Man, Candela, or Llewelyn who muted him? :P ;) )
[2015-02-07 17:56:51] <rkcgm> Llewelyn looks amused and also completely innocent.
[2015-02-07 17:57:06] <rkcgm> Candela looks amused and totally, absolutely innocent.
[2015-02-07 17:57:20] Ellie looks amused and *iscompletely innocent. :-p
[2015-02-07 17:57:43] <rkcgm> The Old Man looks smug while still looking thoughtful.
[2015-02-07 17:58:32] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero looks oblivious.
[2015-02-07 17:59:37] <rkcgm> Old Man: “A thought does occur to me.”
[2015-02-07 17:59:50] Ellie nods, but doesn’t speak to interrupt.
[2015-02-07 18:01:18] <rkcgm> Old Man: “Her Grace said earlier that there has been mischief and conspiracy in the air – all a magician’s work.”
[2015-02-07 18:01:32] Ellie nods again.
[2015-02-07 18:03:02] <rkcgm> Old Man: “And so Her Grace summoned us all to come together to give an account. All four of Elmercina’s great mages, all together in one room.”
[2015-02-07 18:03:44] <ellie> “Yes.”
[2015-02-07 18:04:17] <sila> ((oh, I see where he’s going with this – if he’s right the condessa did us a favor :P ))
[2015-02-07 18:04:50] <ellie> “Do you think it was someone who just wanted to eliminate Elmercina’s mages?”
[2015-02-07 18:05:05] <ellie> “All of them, if they could? And they were prevented by the chaos?”
[2015-02-07 18:05:25] <ellie> “…I’m not sure how the chaos would have stopped them, though, since that would have rather put everyone *offtheir guard.”
[2015-02-07 18:07:19] <rkcgm> Candela: “Perhaps they hoped we would come to blows amongst ourselves.”
[2015-02-07 18:07:43] <ellie> “…by eliminating one, and raising suspicion in the minds of the rest?”
[2015-02-07 18:07:52] <ellie> “Each suspecting the other?”
[2015-02-07 18:08:13] <rkcgm> The Old Man smiles. “Absolutely.”
[2015-02-07 18:09:14] Ellie looks thoughtful, but slightly skeptical. “I’m… not sure why they would think it necessary to attack one of you, though, unless they just didn’t know the relationship between the Grand Duchess and the Contessa. Unless what they were trying to set up was to have the Grand Duchess accuse the Contessa, and to have the Contessa retaliate.”
[2015-02-07 18:09:37] <ellie> “And I’m not sure how they would have expected to draw Prospero into the matter.”
[2015-02-07 18:10:40] <rkcgm> Old Man: “He is the only mage in these islands who is a healer. Strike down one, and his vows to the church would nearly force him to stay by my side.”
[2015-02-07 18:11:47] <rkcgm> Old Man: “And I am the most vulnerable to attack, you see – Her Grace, and the Condessa, must both worry every hour about assassination by some villain or another.”
[2015-02-07 18:12:28] <ellie> “Whereas you live alone and don’t usually have to be on your guard. And since you’re older than they are, your health would be more fragile.”
[2015-02-07 18:13:29] <rkcgm> Old Man: “My health would be more fragile, indeed! I may be seventy years old, but I’m as strong today as when I was thirty!”
[2015-02-07 18:14:00] Ellie smiles. “My dad likes to reference that verse, too.”
[2015-02-07 18:14:08] <rkcgm> Llewelyn: “Mhm.”
[2015-02-07 18:14:11] <ellie> “Still.”
[2015-02-07 18:14:55] <ellie> “At any rate, in a way, these goals do fit with those we were encountering in the plot that started all this. Someone out there wants to destabilize this government.”
[2015-02-07 18:15:07] <ellie> “Striking at your nation’s mages could be part of that.”
[2015-02-07 18:17:02] <ellie> “…Well, it’s not a lead, exactly, but it makes more sense now.”
[2015-02-07 18:17:56] <ellie> “Does anyone see anything else we can sort of put together now with the information we have? Otherwise… we should probably be leaving you to your rest, sir.” She nods to The Old Man as she says this last.
[2015-02-07 18:18:24] <ellie> “Strong as when you were 30 or not, you are still recovering from an attack.” She grins playfully.
[2015-02-07 18:19:14] <rkcgm> The Old Man suddenly looks anxious. “Yes. Send someone back to my home to make sure the wolves don’t get to my lambs.”
[2015-02-07 18:19:37] Ellie looks to Candela, who would be the most likely person able to take care of this matter.
[2015-02-07 18:19:57] <rkcgm> Candela: “I shall have it seen to at once.”
[2015-02-07 18:23:53] <sila> ((mmm….lamb. Tasty.))
[2015-02-07 18:24:08] <ellie> ((yes. don’t send the dragons for that task :-p ))
[2015-02-07 18:24:13] <ellie> “Well, with that settled, I think maybe we should leave you to your sleep. I know I’m more than ready for mine.”
[2015-02-07 18:25:24] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero seems to have figured out that people stopped listening to him.
[2015-02-07 18:26:37] <sila> ((poor guy :P ))
[2015-02-07 18:27:26] Ellie looks thoughtful. “Humble Prospero, I have had a thought. We’re going to need to send someone to Xavier’s home to see to his sheep. But given all that’s going on, it might be well to have someone with the ability to sense and use magic go along to attend them. My party and I are going to be gone tomorrow, and of course her Grace cannot go. Would you mind helping us all by going along with Her Grace’s messenger?”
[2015-02-07 18:29:51] <rkcgm> Humble Prospero looks startled at being addressed. “Me? Well – I suppose it might be well advised. And just as Our Lord said to the Apostle, ‘feed my sheep’, then I might follow in his footsteps, albeit with more literal sheep than…” (He wanders off talking to himself.)
[2015-02-07 18:30:37] Ellie is a little surprised at his walking off, but pleased that at least her idea seems to have worked.
[2015-02-07 18:32:04] Havrasti meanwhile has left Sila’s room after staying a bit in there. A package has been left behind, labeled for Sila with the note “Perhaps for the ball, if able. For later, certainly.”
[2015-02-07 18:32:33] <rkcgm> Old Man: “…finally. Wouldn’t stop talking about my need to see a priest for confession.”
[2015-02-07 18:33:02] <ellie> “Heh. I suspected you might need a bit of a break.”
[2015-02-07 18:33:36] <ellie> “Perhaps from everyone, I suspect.” She grins and stands at the same time.
[2015-02-07 18:33:51] <rkcgm> Old Man: “He means well. But I’ve never found God in his giant cathedral.”
[2015-02-07 18:34:27] <ellie> “Ehh. God is certainly not limited to being there. Though if He’s in you, He’s there when you are.”
[2015-02-07 18:35:53] <rkcgm> Old Man: “Mm. Yes.”
[2015-02-07 18:36:10] <ellie> “In any case, I wish you goodnight. Rest well, and thank you.”
[2015-02-07 18:36:26] <rkcgm> Old Man: “Thank you, young miss.”
[2015-02-07 18:36:42] <rkcgm> The Old Man is sleeping before you reach the door.
== END LOG ==

Log 061

Red King's Command BrockPaine