Log 035

<~brock> == START LOG ==
<~brock> Last time you shared a meal aboard your ship with Yveshyna, a nice lady-dragon who’s waging a singleclawed war against the evil dragons of the world. You all had a jolly nice conversation.
<~brock> After Yveshyna’s departure, the fog lifted and you spotted the Alamanchois port town of Saint Jerome on the southern horizon.
<~brock> Saint Jerome looks like a nice deepwater port, where a healthy river comes down and meets the sea, emptying into a bay. The human inhabitants have constructed a stone breakwater, and inside the harbor shelter dozens of sailing ships.
<~brock> At the end of the breakwater is a large sort of squat rounded tower, like a fortress, with cannons visible atop the ramparts. A rudimentary light-house pokes up from the back side of the fortress, and a long white twin-tailed flag flies above the fortress.
^ Llewelyn stands out on deck, watching.
^ Sila is glad to have met the Good dragon and been approved by her – that could be some seriously valuable diplomacy even if Yveshyna isn’t really a representative of any nation per say
<havrasti> (this feels very familiar, having been listening to Temeraire :P ;) )
<havrasti> “It looks like a nice place, like from some of those old sea novels.”
<llewelyn> “It’s a pretty close equivalent, I think. Alamanche is probably about the most ‘modern’ place in Esserea in terms of technology.”
^ Ellie is playing with Cinnamon Sugar up on deck. She keeps the light-spot he’s chasing safely away from the side.
<sila> ^ Sam is still thrilled at hearing that his father was considered a foe worth blaming stuff on by Whiteteeth – not because of the source exactly, but because of what it implies about his dad’s powerfulness
<havrasti> “How long ago did it get like this?”
<ellie> She just might happen to be nearish Llewelyn, sitting on a bollard.
<ellie> ((I only know what a bollard is because Brock just told me. :-p ;-) ))
<llewelyn> me glances at Havrasti. “Well, it’s been happening for years… but I understand its really taken off in the last twenty to thirty years.”
<sila> "I hope the whole thing about helping them industrialize while skipping the worst parts of our own process works. It will be nice to have a place in Esserea where there are things that say more than “ohm…ohm…”
^ Ellie smirks a little. “You know how funny it sounds to talk about wanting things to talk to you?”
<ellie> “…Like I’m one to say anything, considering that I have animals talk to me. But it still sounds funny.”
<sila> “…I was going to say. But yeah, I know what you mean all the same.”
<sila> Sam: “Yeah, it’s freaky, but you get used to her. OW!”
^ Sila kicks her brother’s ankle
<ellie> “Sam, you have the same telepathy as me, now. You have no room to say anything, either.”
<llewelyn> “Alamanche doesn’t have any magicians that they know of; so they have to cope in other ways.”
<~brock> Anna giggles.
<sila> Sam: “Huh. I guess I haven’t had time to get used to thinking about that as normal yet.”
<sila> “…it’ll be great for dealing with hatchlings someday, though!”
<sila> Sam: “…”
<~brock> Anna: “I suppose it would be handy.”
<havrasti> “I feel the most ‘normal’ among you all and I’m a dragon.”
<sila> “I’m going to make you come over and help with our siblings /all the time/ until they can talk, you know.”
<ellie> “Pffft. So are most of the rest of you.”
<ellie> ((To Havrasti))
<sila> ^ Sam looks at Anna… “Well, maybe…”
<havrasti> “Yeah, but except for the shape shifting, I don’t really have anything magical.”
<sila> “Well, that’s nobody’s fault but yours. You /could/ study magic if you wanted to.”
<~brock> The ship slows way down to wait for a little sloop-rigged vessel that is making funny flag signals.
^ Ellie shrugs. “I think my sensibilities have become warped. I go from not knowing anything about magic to suddenly seeing magic seemingly everywhere. There is no longer any such thing as normal.”
<havrasti> “Didn’t really have much of a means to study before now, and we’ve been all busy much of the time.”
<sila> “Well, yeah, but I’m just saying – it’s not like you’re a non-magical being.”
<sila> “You are, after all, a /normal/ dragon, hehe.”
<~brock> The crew lowers a ladder and hoists aboard the harbor pilot.
<havrasti> “Perhaps normal wasn’t the best word. Mundane would be more appropriate. Anyway, I think we’re about ready to disembark soon.”
<llewelyn> “Another half-hour or so – unless you want to fly ashore, which I believe would be permitted.”
<havrasti> “Sounds like a good idea.” (were there any libraries here that we were going to visit or are they in other cities?)
<ellie> “What would we do there, if we did? Where do we need to be next, and when?”
<~brock> ((Mostly libraries in other cities, I think. I can make this clearer IC if you ask IC, though.))
<sila> “Is there a library we should be visiting here?”
<sila> “Because otherwise we should probably wait and status-up the ambassador’s landing.”
<llewelyn> “I think there’s a small library here – not one of the large ones.”
<havrasti> “Well, would the ambassador like that now?”
<llewelyn> “Captain Magaron told me that Saint Jerome is just the only entrepot in the east that has a harbor deep enough for the ship.”
<llewelyn> “So even though it’s a smaller town, we come here first.”
<havrasti> “Ahhhh.”
<sila> “Heh, that’s the trouble with being the biggest.”
<~brock> After a few minutes, the ship starts moving very slowly into the harbor again.
<~brock> ((Do you want to go find the ambassador, or shall I move things along?))
<havrasti> ((if things can simply be moved along, then let’s move along))
<sila> ((move along))
<~brock> The ship spends nearly forty-five minutes maneuvering into the deepest part of the sheltered harbor, and Captain Magaron successfully gets it all turned about so he can leave port if a storm comes up.
<~brock> The crew also readies a nice boat for the ambassador who’s name I’ve forgotten.
<havrasti> (( <~brock> Ambassador: “I’m Robert Crouch. You are?” ))
<~brock> ((Ah, thanks.))
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch appears on deck, wearing a very nice suit, complete with a vest and nice hat.
<ellie> “Hello, Ambassador, good morning,” Ellie greets him. Then she pauses, “Actually, what should we be calling you?”
^ Sila puts on her Best Behavior face and gets ready to support her nation’s public image
<~brock> Crouch: “In private, go ahead and call me Bob. But when there are foreigners around, it might be best to still address me as ‘Mr. Ambassador’ – at least until we get a better feeling for Alamanche’s society.”
<ellie> “Aaah, okay then. I wasn’t sure what would be expected.”
<sila> "It won’t hurt to help them get a feel for how we Americans deal with our officials either. When Washington decided on “Mr. President” as his title, it was kind of revolutionary. So to speak."
<~brock> ((If anyone wishes to roll Perception, it’s versus standard to see what’s happening ashore.))
<sila> !6d6: Sila likes to stay aware of her situation
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “Sila likes to stay aware of her situation”: (2+2+1+3+2+1). Total: 11.
<havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (5+6+6+4+1). Total: 22.
<ellie> !6d6: Ellie might notice what’s going on around her, even when talking
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Ellie might notice what’s going on around her, even when talking”: (6+6+6+2+2+6). Total: 28.
<~brock> !3d6: versus perception
<painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus perception”: (4+5+6). Total: 15.
<havrasti> ((I do bel;eive she does ;) ))
<~brock> ((Crit for Ellie.))
<ellie> !2d6: Crit roll to give to party coins
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Crit roll to give to party coins”: (6+1). Total: 7.
^ Sila sees NOTHING on shore >.<
<llewelyn> !5d6: Perception
<painbot> [Llewelyn] rolled “Perception”: (6+5+4+4+4). Total: 23.
<sila> “Wow, the fog really did clear up completely, didn’t it…”
<~brock> Havrasti, Ellie, and Llewelyn note that they seem to have attracted quite a crowd ashore in order to stare at that GIANT METAL SHIP.
<~brock> Ellie additionally notices that a significant percentage of the crowd appears to be in uniform.
<havrasti> “Looks like we’re suitably impressive. Shall we impress them more with the appearance of dragons?” grins
<ellie> “Hmmm. Well, looks like we have quite a greeting party. Apparently including a sizable official one, of some flavor or another,” she nods toward the recurring uniforms.
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch: “Hm – probably the town fathers turned out the local regiment as a welcoming party.”
<~brock> The Ambassador turns to Havrasti and Sila. “I’ll leave it up to you whether you’d prefer to go ashore looking as humans or fly as dragons.”
^ Sila may have been oblivious at first, but that mention of a “regiment” gets her attention
<havrasti> “Then excuse me, I need to change.”
<sila> “I…think until we know for sure what’s with the soldiers I’ll be more comfortable in my natural form.”
^ Havrasti goes to a private place on the ship
^ Sila steps back from the railing to take off and stow her jewel
^ Havrasti then emerges and sits upright and alert on the ship deck
<~brock> Anna is wearing her RCMP uniform, complete with the hat and the riding boots. Nice, bright and red. She’s of the opinion that she’ll stay that way.
<sila> ^ Sam decides to stick with Anna. He already had his Looking Impressive cloths on anyway.
^ Havrasti looks at Anna, looks at himself, “We seem rather similar at the moment… I wonder if we have any blue and white body paint.”
<~brock> Ambassador: “Well, it looks like they’ve got the boat ready for us. Shall we go ashore?”
<sila> “What??”
<havrasti> “Just being a little silly.”
^ Havrasti is bright and red, like Anna’s uniform
^ Sila tries to figure out what the blue and white are for, and has to be clued by Sam making a little waving motion at her
<sila> “Oh. Flags are for waving, not wearing silly.”
<llewelyn> “Indeed.”
^ Llewelyn has dressed in nice but nondescript clothes.
^ Ellie has dressed in some of her semi-formal travel clothing.
<~brock> ((They’re so nondescript that I can’t describe them.))
<havrasti> “I suppose I should get more serious now.”
<sila> “At least pretend long enough to fool the welcome committee.”
<~brock> The ambassador boards the boat.
^ Ellie follows toward the boat, herself.
^ Sila stands on deck to one side of the boat, figuring to fly escort when they launch it
^ Havrasti stands on the other side
^ Llewelyn helps Ellie down into the boat, then waits to board last.
^ Ellie smiles her thanks for Llewelyn’s help, then finds a seat where she’ll be nicely out of the way.
<~brock> The Ambassador looks to the boatswain. “All aboard – let’s go.”
<~brock> The boat motors slowly toward the pier.
<~brock> ((Diesel engine: “Put-put-put-put-put-put-put-put…”))
^ Havrasti leaps off the ship
<~brock> A perceptive ear notes a series of ‘OOH" and “AHH” from ashore.
^ Sila launches in tandem with Havrasti and does her best slow glide, so as not to leave the boat behind
^ Havrasti tries to stay in sync with Sila as well
<~brock> The boat ride doesn’t take very long at all, delivering the non-fliers to a pier.
<~brock> A group of the soldiers receive orders from an officer, and they form a line and start clearing the pier of onlookers so that Havrasti and Sila have a large enough landing zone.
^ Ellie belatedly realizes that she brought Cinnamon Sugar along, and hopes that won’t be a problem. Then she figures the ambassador could’ve said something if it would be, and decides not to worry about it.
^ Sila lands neatly just before the boat bumps the pier and waits for the ambassador to disembark
^ Havrasti lands gracefully without a thump
<~brock> The boat is tied up, and Ambassador Crouch gets off first, going up the steps to the pier.
^ Ellie waits her turn to disembark, doing so whenever she has a clear path.
^ Llewelyn offers a hand.
^ Ellie receives it gratefully, especially since she’s having to keep her balance with one arm occupied by kitten.
<~brock> A bugler in uniform sounds his bugle, and all of the soldiers on the waterfront snap to attention.
<~brock> The soldiers number about eight hundred men strong. A keen eye will notice that they’ve arranged themselves in four groups, each of which is in turn divided into four smaller groups of about fifty men each.
<~brock> The soldiers all wear black pants and dark blue thigh-length jackets, buttoned down the front and crossed with a black leather belt. All of them wear hats, too. There is one group of soldiers, though, that is dressed in dark green instead of black-and-blue.
^ Ellie is a little nervous, really, at all the formality. She tries not to show it, though.
<~brock> They all carry a very long wooden-stocked rifle. Havrasti once saw something similar in a Civil War reenactment.
^ Sila mentally earmaks the green-jackets as possible green-beret equivalents
^ Ellie isn’t noticing jacket colors. She’s just noticing row upon row of intimidating formality.
<~brock> ((Sorta correct, actually…))
<~brock> A set of men in nice suits come out from the crowd.
^ Havrasti looks over the crowd of soldiers, keeping an eye out for the Amalache’s peer to their own ambassador
<~brock> ((Oh – belated note: Eudocia has joined you in going ashore as well.))
^ Sila gestures with her tail, getting Eudocia properly placed up front and to one side
<~brock> The leader of the Well-Dressed Men introduces himself – in moderately acceptable English – as the Town Mayor.
^ Ellie hangs somewhat to the back, figuring Ambassador Crouch will lead the way with introductions.
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch spends about two minutes exchanging various pleasantries with the Well-Dressed Men, then gestures behind him. “Permit me to introduce the rest of my delegation.”
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch then introduces all of you by name, and the Town Mayor, who’s name is George something-or-other, welcomes all of you.
^ Ellie gives a smile and something between a nod and a bow when she’s introduced, but says nothing.
<~brock> ((Somebody roll luck.))
<havrasti> !5d6 : Luck
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Luck”: (1+3+4+3+1). Total: 12.
<~brock> !3d6: versus luck
<painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus luck”: (1+6+2). Total: 9.
^ Ellie will donate, if possible. :-p
<~brock> ((Not possible. :P ))
^ Havrasti gives a respectful nod of the head when named
<~brock> After the Ambassador introduces everyone, he turns back to discuss things with the Mayor.
<~brock> While all of the adults are distracted by the boring diplomacy stuff, a pair of young schoolboys walk brazenly past the soldiers and right up to Havrasti.
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: (Poor english) “Hi!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “Are you a real dragon?”
<havrasti> “Laid and hatched, yes.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “I have a kite that looks like a dragon.”
^ Havrasti wonders if these kids have some relation to the mayor
^ Havrasti glances at teh adults to see if they’ve noticed
<~brock> The adults have not noticed, but some of the soldiers are trying not to giggle.
^ Sila is trying not to giggle too
^ Havrasti is surprised they haven’t noticed a dragon whispering
<havrasti> “And who are you?”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “I’m Erwan.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “My name’s Francis.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “What’s your name?”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “Francis.”
<havrasti> “Havrasti, who are your parents? Do they know you’re here?”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “I hope not.”
^ Sila lets out a snicker at that one
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “Yeah, your Pa will whip you good if he learns we’re skipping school.”
<havrasti> “Just for skipping school, not for walking in on a formal diplomatic meeting?”
^ Havrasti does have a slight chuckle in his voice
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “What’s a dimplematic meeting?”
<sila> “You shouldn’t skip school. When our countries start trading information, you’ll need to know your maths to be able to help make cool new stuff.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “Yeah, but I just wanted to see dragons. Pa didn’t let me come see the last one.”
^ Sila belatedly wonders if they’ll get the “cool” figure of speech
<havrasti> “Last one?”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “There was a dragon here last year!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “My friend Abel said he was black and yellow.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “Abel didn’t come with us.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “He’s scared of skipping school.”
<sila> “He sounds like a sensible young man. At least he’s not afraid of dragons.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “Why should we be afraid of dragons? That’s not loga… logick… logical.”
<sila> “Well, no, but some people aren’t very logical.”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “People who aren’t logical are stupid.”
<sila> “Well…sometimes they just don’t know what they need to know to make the logic work.”
<sila> “Come to think of it, that’s another thing school is good for.”
<havrasti> “But school helps you to be logical. But not if you skip it.”
<~brock> A soldier wearing sergeant’s stripes finally marches out from the welcoming committee and collars both of the boys by the ear. “Skipping school, you two? Don’t you know better than to disrupt formal ceremonies? Your parents will hear of this!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “Ow!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “Ow!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #1: “We’ll go back to school!”
<~brock> Schoolboy #2: “We just wanted to see a dragon!”
<~brock> Sergeant: “Git – before I have my men take you home!”
<~brock> Sergeant looks up at Havrasti. “Apologies for that, sir.”
<~brock> The two schoolboys run like the seat of their pants depends on it, which it probably does.
<havrasti> “It’s alright, I’m not the one doing the formal speech making.”
<~brock> The sergeant nods and returns to his men.
^ Ellie has been paying attention to the formal speechmaking, and didn’t notice this little interlude. It’s a pity – it would’ve been far more entertaining than the speech-making.
<~brock> ((By this time, some of the Well-Dressed Men noticed the Boys Errant, but didn’t choose to call attention to it.))
<~brock> The Mayor and the Ambassador finish up their speechifying, and the Mayor insists that they’ve prepared a formal welcome banquet-luncheon at the Merchant’s Square.
^ Ellie wonders whether she’s ever experienced quite this combination of high-level nervousness and boredom before, and wonders what the banquet-luncheon will be like…
<ellie> She entertains herself by petting Cinnamon Sugar and trying to decide whether the nervousness or the boredom were higher. Unfortunately, the latter doesn’t take too long. It was most definitely the nervousness.
^ Sila has time to get bored again herself, and become slightly jealous of Ellie for having Cinnamon to pet and think to.
<~brock> Several of the Well-Dressed Men invite members of the delegation to join them in their carriages (some of which include wives and older children) for the ride to the Banquet.
<~brock> An antiquated-looking older gentleman, with an almost-as-elderly-looking wife, invites Ellie and Llewelyn to join them in their carriage.
^ Havrasti asides to Sila “Hmm, walk or fly do you think?”
<~brock> Another Well-Dressed Man tries to figure out how to politely escort Havrasti and Sila when they will smash his carriage flat.
<~brock> WDM to Havrasti and Sila: “Ahh…”
<sila> “…looks like we shift.”
<sila> “Otherwise, we’ll be running after the horses, and horses don’t like that.”
<havrasti> “…I left my cloths.”
^ Sila sighs
<~brock> ((ROFL))
^ Ellie follows Llewelyn, thanking the gentleman and wife for the ride once they’re all seated inside.
<havrasti> (( _ ))
<sila> “I have that emergency outfit in my bag, but it’s just blue jeans and a T-shirt.”
<havrasti> “Let’s just saunter along at a easy pace a good ways behind them.”
<~brock> The town councilman resorts to sending his carriage ahead and walking with Havrasti and Sila.
<sila> "If you insist
<sila> “So…merchant’s square…what kind of merchandise does the area specialize in, sir?”
<~brock> Councilman: “It is only proper, sir and madam…oiselle?”
<~brock> The Old Councilman nods back to Ellie. “My pleasure, my dear. It’s not a long walk, but old bones don’t do that well any more.”
<sila> “Hm. I suppose madamoiselle is correct for a little while longer.”
<havrasti> (( oiselle? ))
<havrasti> ((oh))
<~brock> ((He’s trying to ask whether Sila is a Ms. or a Mrs.))
<havrasti> ((yes, just caught that now))
^ Ellie wishes she were better at casual chit-chat. However, as nervous as she is (trying not to appear), she’d probably be even worse at it than normal.
^ Havrasti considered something to say about that, decided better of it
^ Llewelyn is able to help cover for Ellie.
<ellie> She continues her devoted petting of Cinnamon Sugar. Who isn’t nervous in the slightest. In fact… he’s actually fallen asleep. :-p
<~brock> The commander of the regiment does not have a carriage – he has a set of thoroughbred horses, one of which he offers to Anna, and the other of which he offers to Sam.
<~brock> Anna, being a Mountie, knows exactly what to do with said horse.
<sila> Sam: “Thank you commander…”
<havrasti> “For a little while longer, yes, until things settle down a little.”
<sila> ^ Sam has a clue, but isn’t by any means an expert
<sila> “Hopefully we’ll find your parents this trip, so we can inform them. That would be good.”
<~brock> The entire procession moves off through town, heading uphill to a very large building, which seems to be the “Chamber of Commerce” for the town.
<havrasti> “Yes, hmm, I don’t suppose there are any records of recent dragon arrivals somewhere?”
<~brock> In the square out in front, you notice a few decorative grecian-inspired statues.
^ Ellie looks intrigued by the statues, which remind her very much of Earth.
<~brock> Councilman Granger (for that is his name), answers Havrasti. “I believe we do keep records of that – it’s only logical. Would you wish me to inquire where the records might be kept?”
<havrasti> “Yes, please.”
<~brock> Senior Councilman Romilly notes Ellie’s interest in the statues. “Interesting, aren’t they?”
<ellie> “Aaah, yes. Mostly because they remind of me a very similar style back on Earth.”
<~brock> Romilly: “Ah, yes – the Grecian style. We emulate it somewhat. All of the statues you see are of Saint Jerome’s great philosophers.”
<ellie> “Aaah, I see. And the two here, then? Who are they?” Ellie grabs ahold of the first shred of small-talk she’s run into.
<~brock> Romilly points: “That’s Simon – he died twenty years ago, and developed the philosophy of Simonism. Which was total rubbish, if you ask me – but he’s very famous.”
^ Havrasti converses with his and Sila’s escort about how life is here, particular for dragons
<~brock> Romilly: “And that’s Villeneuve. He was Simon’s apprentice, and diverged from his philosophy. He also studied a great deal of astronomy…”
<ellie> “Heh. Yes, that seems to be the pattern in philosophy – for the student to diverge from the teacher. All the way back to Plato and Aristotle.”
<~brock> Romilly looks happy. “You understand philosophy?”
^ Sila gets back around to asking about local businesses eventually, too
<ellie> “Oh, a bit. It was one area of my studies in college.”
<~brock> Councilman Granger walks with Havrasti and Sila. “Well, I believe life here is quite good for dragons.”
<~brock> Granger: “Not many of your kind, here, of course – no more than a hundred or so.”
<~brock> Granger: “None live in Saint Jerome, but there’s four, I think, in Trois-Rivieres.”
<sila> “Three rivers, four dragons, huh?”
<sila> “What are their names?”
<~brock> Romilly: “Oh, you went to college for philosophy? How fascinating! You’ll get along well here, I expect.”
<~brock> Romilly: “My daughter went to a school to study; but she died sixty years ago in the Epidemic.”
<~brock> Granger: “I’m afraid I don’t know them personally, mademoisselle.”
<sila> “Ah, well, it was worth asking. If they’re well enough known to know their numbers, you might have heard their names too.”
<havrasti> “Hmm, just a hundred dragons in the country? I thought there’d be a few more than that.”
<~brock> Granger: “Oh, your folk come and go as they please, be it to the northern kingdoms, or the southern wildernesses.”
<~brock> Anna and Sam ride their horses at the rear of the procession. A few members of the crowd note Anna as a Female In Uniform, and there is a general agreement by the masses that these Americans are extraordinarily liberal in allowing such a thing.
<~brock> Anna finally retorts to someone “I’m not an American, I’m a Quebecois Canadian!”
<sila> Sam: “Well don’t give them the idea that America doesn’t have women in uniform too…”
<havrasti> (( /me refreshes his memory of the map ))
<~brock> (Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59024239/Other/RP/Esserea.png)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59024239/Other/RP/Esserea.png
<~brock> ((Sorry: (Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59024239/Other/RP/EssereaUpdated.png)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59024239/Other/RP/EssereaUpdated.png ))
^ Ellie replies sadly to Romilly, “Oh, I’m very sorry to hear that.”
<havrasti> ((oh, I didn’t mean I needed a link; I was looking at the one on Obsidian Portal))
<ellie> She doesn’t feel it appropriate to clarify the nature of her studies after that. :-p
<havrasti> ((how big is Alamache compared to say England?))
<~brock> ((About twice the landmass of England.))
<havrasti> ((ok))
<~brock> Romilly: “Oh, thank you. Ironically, she was studying medicine at Soucy – and when the Epidemic started, she helped to treat the afflicted.”
<ellie> “Ahh. Is that how she became ill, herself?”
<~brock> Romilly: “Indeed.”
<ellie> “Well… I admire her courage, then.”
<~brock> Romilly nods.
<~brock> Romilly: “In any case, I dare say that if it comes out you studied philosophy, you’ll soon find yourself invited to all of the noted salons.”
^ Havrasti flicks a tongue out as they near the market square, can he smell the food?
<~brock> ((Perception versus simple, Havrasti.))
<~brock> !2d6: please dicebot, make it simple
<painbot> [Brock] rolled “please dicebot, make it simple”: (3+4). Total: 7.
<havrasti> !6d6 : Perception + Being a Dragon
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception + Being a Dragon”: (1+6+5+4+2+2). Total: 20.
<ellie> “Oh, I hope not!” Ellie looks embarrassed. “My studies in philosophy were hardly enough to stand up to that! I pursued them alongside other things, really; it wasn’t just philosophy…”
<~brock> Romilly: “Ah, a Renaissance woman. My point stands.”
<ellie> “I was in… heh, well, the program was called ‘Interdisciplinary Studies.’ I say that back home if I want to get blank stares.”
<~brock> Havrasti determines that Alamanchoise cuisine consists, at least in part, of meat cooked with spices."
<~brock> Romilly’s stare is not exactly blank, but it’s definitely a “that’s not a logical title for a Renaissance education” stare.
<ellie> “It was kind of program that allowed a self-designed course of study, drawing on multiple disciplines in order to apply them to a topic they all related to.”
<~brock> Councilman Granger waves to the Chamber of Commerce, which does in fact have a door large enough for dragons. The SMELL OF SUCCULENT FOOD wafts out the doors."
<havrasti> “MMmmmmm, smells good in there.”
<ellie> “Hence ‘Interdisciplinary.’ I was interested in the ways literature conveys meaning. So I drew on philosophy and communications in relation to the meaning, and on literature, creative writing in relation to the literature.”
<sila> “Mmmmm…”
<~brock> Romilly: “Aha! Ingenious – I’m astounded that none of our own universities have ever thought of such a thing.”
^ Havrasti would hope Councilman Granger isn’t too disturbed being next to a salivating dragon, but he’s too busy salivating to think of that
<ellie> “It is an intriguing concept, isn’t it? I went into it because I enjoyed the idea of finding the connections between different kinds of things.”
<~brock> Councilman Granger isn’t TOO disturbed, but definitely moves ‘Feed the Dragons’ to the very top of his list of priorities.
<sila> "Now which ‘philosopher’ was it that said…oh, yes, the wolf. ‘Here is food sitting before us, getting cold. Let’s eat.’ "
<~brock> The maitre d’ thoughtfully knew to provide a straight path for the dragons from the door to the place where they are intended to sit, where food is nearly ready to be served.
^ Havrasti enters after the core of the delegation and and looks for a place for him and Sila to sit
<~brock> Romilly disembarks from his carriage – he was too busy talking to notice they’d arrived – and heads inside. Llewelyn and Ellie are seated with the Romillys and a couple called the Baudins, who are involved in the wool trade.
^ Havrasti reclines in the space designated for him, and subtly curls his tail around Sila when she settles down
^ Ellie follows obligingly inside and sits where she’s told. ;-)
<havrasti> ((so are there two or four spaces for dragons? ))
<~brock> Anna and Sam are seated with Colonel Bellerose of the Saint Jerome Regiment, his wife, and Councilman Abraham, who is in charge of City Infrastructure.
<~brock> ((A space that can be expanded for up to six.))
^ Havrasti looks to either side of himself and Sila to see who their neighbors are
<~brock> ((Sam will need to declare if he wants to eat as a dragon, otherwise Anna will just sit down at the table.))
<sila> ^ Sam is following Anna’s lead at the moment
<havrasti> ((Sam is following Anna, Anna is following Sam, thus they remain as humans for now? :P ))
<~brock> To Havrasti’s right is a small table with the Grangers and another couple who trade in livestock. To Sila’s left is the table with Mayor George (it actually turns out to be his last name), Ambassador Crouch, and their immediate assistants, as well as George’s wife.
<ellie> ((They sat the dragons next to cattle ranchers? :-p Aaaah, well, they’ll find more in common than they expected. ;-) ))
^ Havrasti gets into fairly detailed, though short of TMI, conversation with the livestock trader
<~brock> The livestock trader listens very carefully especially once he finds out that Havrasti is a cattle baron; he starts inquiring how Americans treat cattle and how it differs from the local method.
<ellie> Back at her table, Ellie does her best to join whatever small-talk is available. She’s certainly not going to be the one to bring up philosophy… as much fun as the discussion might be, she considers herself warned. :-p However, if it came up on someone else’s part, could she resist joining? Hmmm…
^ Sila listens carefully to the cattle-talk, since she is about to marry into the business
^ Sila finally turns to the mayor’s wife when she’s done eating and the cattlemen are getting technical
^ Havrasti tells him various details, some about the technology they use (and which might surprise Sila a bit in his knowledge, since he was a technophobe; he was able to learn about it in general, even if uncomfortable if actually using it :P ;) )
<~brock> The food comes out. The maitre’d wisely has his servers take the first serving cart to the ambassador’s table, and the second arrives for Havrasti and Sila a very precise fifteen seconds later.
<~brock> The platter of food for Havrasti and Sila is almost ten feet across. The humans pushing it on carts look a tad nervous, and may inconspicuously interpose the food between themselves and the dragons.
<~brock> ((Shield of Food!))
<ellie> ((Or – for Brock’s sake – a new definition for ‘meat shield’))
<~brock> ((Hee!))
<havrasti> ((why, Wayfarer, is that a pun you just made?))
^ Sila doesn’t snap at the food at /all/ but politely waits for them to remove their hands and begins decorously starts carving off slices.
<ellie> ((Only for Brock’s sake. Oh, the things we’ll do for love… :-p ))
<~brock> ((It’s how I know she loves me!))
<havrasti> ((I’d expect the food to come pre-sliced for us, so as to be less messy or akward))
<~brock> The servers quickly serve everyone else some very nice-looking food. Everyone but the dragons starts with soup and vegetables; then a second course of meat; then a third course of fruit and some sort of flambe dessert pudding.
^ Havrasti is good and keeps himself patient like Sila. He is also amused that even in the country that’s friendly to dragons, they still have a healthy respect for a dragon’s appetite.
<havrasti> ((do they let us dragons flambe our own pudding? :D ))
<~brock> ((Yes, they do.))
^ Sila lets Havrasti flambe her pudding
^ Havrasti obliges
<~brock> As for the dragons, it’s a course of meat, garnished with meat, which is garnished with spicy meat, followed by the dessert pudding.
^ Sila savors the many flavors of meat
<~brock> Senior Councilman Romilly, in introducing Ellie and Llewelyn to the Baudins, notes that Ellie is a college graduate and has an interest in philosophy.
<sila> ^ Sam enjoys his soup and reminds himself several times not to be jealous of Sila just because she got a different banquet
^ Ellie groans inside, and hopes at least part of her introduction will go unnoticed… :-p
<sila> (Maia lords it over the galley back on the ship – she’s hear for magic support, not boring speeches :P )
<~brock> ((Roll luck versus difficult, Ellie.))
<~brock> !5d6: difficult luck
<painbot> [Brock] rolled “difficult luck”: (2+2+5+2+2). Total: 13.
^ Havrasti takes nice big portions of meat, rolls them around his tongue before letting them slide down his throat whole
<ellie> She covers her discomfort by settling Cinnamon Sugar beneath her chair and mentally ordering him to sit still. She does promise occasional tasty treats, though.
<ellie> !5d6: Can Ellie go unnoticed?
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Can Ellie go unnoticed?”: (3+3+3+6+5). Total: 20.
^ Ellie sighs in relief as her education at very least goes un-commented upon.
<~brock> Fortunately for Ellie, the Baudins are dullards who don’t appreciate good philosophy, and instead pester Llewelyn to learn the magical secrets of the universe.
^ Llewelyn finds this somewhat irritating.
<ellie> Councilman Romilly is probably rolling his eyes at the Baudins’ clear lack of taste. ;-)
^ Llewelyn ensures he doesn’t show it.
<~brock> Senior Councilman Romilly rolls his eyes at the Baudins’ clear lack of taste, and wishes he could have gotten them seated with Colonel and Mrs. Bellerose. Now they have keen minds.
<havrasti> ((so does anyone ask the dragons annoying questions, or are they not foolish enough for that? :P ;) ))
^ Ellie probably enjoys lunch the more for not being on the spot, though. Granted, she does feel sorry for Llewelyn that he has to be on the spot, instead.
<~brock> At Sam and Anna’s table, Colonel Bellerose demonstrates his keen mind and good wit in his discussions with the two dragons he doesn’t actually know are dragons.
^ Sila tries to rescue Llewelyn by giving the Baudins a thinlyh-disguised physics lecture on energy types as related to magical interchanges.
<sila> ((Oh, I’m sorry is this over your head? No, you say? Good, ‘cause I can talk about it for hours :P ))
<~brock> Mayor George does take a few opportunities to talk with Havrasti and Sila.
^ Llewelyn nods gratefully at Sila.
^ Sila gives Llewelyn a half-wink in return… she will laugh about this when her victims – er, conversation partners – aren’t there to get offended
^ Havrasti converses with the mayor about this and that
^ Ellie enjoys her food and surreptitiously sneaks little bits of her meat to Cinnamon, who is actually very well behaved where he’s sitting.
<~brock> Mrs. Baudin suffers the need to go powder her nose, and abandons her husband to the tender loving mercies of the elf and dragon.
<havrasti> ((and has Mr Baudin’s eyes glazed over yet? :P ;) ))
<ellie> He is mildly disappointed that he has to curl up for his nap on the floor rather than on Ellie’s lap… but occasionally waking up to tasty bits of meat is something of a consolation.
<~brock> Mr. Baudin’s eyes flicker with rage at being abandoned by his wife to this incomprehensible bombardment of whateverism.
<ellie> At this rate, with so much cover, if a philosophical topic comes up with Counsilman Romilly, Ellie might actually join in…
<ellie> ;-)
<sila> “…so you see the magical conversion rate if much better than the mechanical one but…is something wrong, Mr. Baudin?”
<~brock> Baudin: “You will have to forgive me, madam, but I feel I must go check on my wife – she’s been away powdering her nose for a very long time indeed, and I’m getting concerned about her.”
<havrasti> “Oh, don’t worry if you can’t understand all of what she says, I don’t.”
<havrasti> ((Cha 2 ;) ))
<~brock> Mr. Baudin looks slightly purple with embarassment. “I’m just a humble wool merchant, I’m afraid.”
<sila> “Hmph. He /asked/ about magic…I didn’t even bring /up/ electronics!”
<sila> “…is wool big in this area?”
<havrasti> “And I a cattle rancher. Still going to mate her.”
<~brock> In the aftermath of Mr. Baudin’s departure, Romilly laughs. “Never seen anyone pull the wool over their eyes like that.”
<~brock> Romilly looks up at Sila and Havrasti. “So you are pledged to each other, then?”
<sila> “Yes. We’d have redeemed the pledge already, but we’re also taking into account the local human culture where we live, and that takes more time.”
<havrasti> “Plus it would be good to locate my parents first, since we have hope of finding them here. Last I knew they were in the clutches of The Tadgh.”
<~brock> Romilly: “I understand. I do wish you good fortune and many years together – it’s quite an experience.”
<~brock> Romilly looks back at his own wife next to him. “Arriane and I shall celebrate seventy-four years next FĂ©vrier.”
<sila> “Oh, congratulations.”
<havrasti> “It is a bit more complicated to have a purely draconic marraige there, as dragons aren’t known in that world and the local humans would ask pointed questions about why two ‘humans’ are being together that way.”
<havrasti> “Ah, congratulations, yes.”
<~brock> Romilly’s wife laughs. “Maybe in another ten years or so I’ll convince him to retire, and we can do a bit more travelling.”
^ Ellie considers Romilly and his wife carefully. Though she remembers his mention of losing their daughter 40 years ago, and now notes their 75 year marriage, they certainly don’t look that old…
<~brock> ((They definitely look in their sixties.))
<sila> “That sounds like fun. What sort of places do you want to visit?”
<~brock> Arianne Romilly: “I’ve always wanted to see Lake Aglae. It’s so beautiful there in the summer – and not too cold in the winter. And the mineral hot springs will be lovely.”
<~brock> Councilman Granger has absented himself for ten minutes. He returns and comes up beside Havrasti. “Sir, I thought you might like to know…”
<havrasti> “Yes?”
<~brock> Granger: “I inquired about records kept on dragons who pass through Alamanche. I’m told that the records for the eastern part of the country will be kept both at the Bureau of Displaced Persons or the Bureau of Travel and Trade, both in Trois-Rivieres.”
<sila> “Guess that tells us where we want to go next time the ambassador doesn’t require our presence.”
<sila> “…how’s the library there?”
<~brock> Granger: “There’s a very good library in Trois-Rivieres, mademoiselle; one of the best in the world.”
<havrasti> “And four dragons to meet. Sounds like a good destination.”
^ Havrasti is going to do his best to not have too high of hopes when there’s mention of two or mroe dragons at a location
^ Ellie is eating happily, when a quiet “Mew” comes up from under her seat. /Cinnamon! You’re supposed to be quiet!/ “Mew!” (tr. “But I’m Booooorrred! I wanna come sit on your lap now!”)
^ Ellie sighs and allows Cinnamon to quietly jump on her lap and curl up again.
<havrasti> “Thank you, Granger.”
<~brock> The Councilman nods. “Pleasure to be of assistance.”
<~brock> The party is mostly winding down, and Ambassador Bob comes around to glad-hand all of the Councilmen. He also explains that the American Delegation is currently offered accommodations in the local Hotel.
<~brock> ((“Hotel”, in Alamanche, does not mean a Motel Six. It means “We acquired this old palace and we restored it into a hotel.”))
^ Ellie will probably quite thoroughly enjoy the architecture.
^ Llewelyn accepts the hotel accommodations.
^ Sila is fine with a hotel – any bed that doesn’t rock with the waves will be a fine change
^ Havrasti contemplates the hotel or a nice cozy warm cave…
^ Havrasti thinks “Eh, hotel is ready and waiting, not sure about a cave.”
<~brock> The dinner party starts to wear itself out, and your guides show you to the local accommodations prepared on your behalf.
^ Havrasti wonders if there is a dragon sized room, or if he’ll have to shift down
<~brock> The room earmarked for Havrasti – and a similar one earmarked for Sila – is indeed large enough for dragons, complete with a tiled floor so talons don’t scratch the nice wood.
<~brock> The only problem is the candelabra, which is a bit too low and threatens to entangle wings and heads.
<havrasti> “Oooh, nice.”
^ Ellie looks around in greatly impressed intimidation at the palace hotel. Definitely the kind of place she’d never even dream of staying back on Earth…
^ Havrasti curls atop a pile of many furs
<sila> “Ah, a good solid tile floor. It’s not quite the same as mom’s ‘worn-in old stone’ but it beats snaggy carpeting for sleeping in natural form.”
<~brock> Sila’s room has FOUR FIREPLACES!
^ Sila lights two of them – tile floors need a little heating after all ;)
<sila> ^ Sam points out to the hosts that he and Anna are dragons too
<~brock> The maitre’d of the hotel promises to make immediate accommodations, and once he’s out of earshot, flies into a tizzy because he didn’t know there were four dragons, not too.
<havrasti> ((poor maitre’d ;) ))
^ Ellie is relieved to have made it through her first ambassadorial function while remaining nicely and quietly in the background. Now if only the rest will go as well…
<sila> Sam: “I didn’t mind so much about lunch, but really, enough is enough.”
<havrasti> (1 down, 99 more to go)
<ellie> ((Sibling jealousy, Sam? ;-) ))
<~brock> The hotel staff manages to sweep up the furniture in two of their other rooms, and shows them to Anna and Sam. Not QUITE as good as Havrasti and Sila’s rooms, but they’re better than any hotel rooms you can get on earth for three figures or less.
<sila> Sam: “Aaah, room to stretch out!”
<sila> ^ Sam shifts and curls up on the tiles
<havrasti> ((fortuantely, Sam and Anna are smaller dragons ;) ))
<sila> ^ Sam stares intently at his single fireplace until the fuel therein suddenly catches
<~brock> Evening falls, and the town rolls up their sidewalks at dusk. Ambassador Crouch comes around to inform you that he’ll be meeting again with the city fathers the next day; and then two mornings out, you’ll start overland for Trois-Rivieres.
<~brock> You won’t be needed the next day, so the Ambassador suggests you take it for yourselves.
<~brock> You all head to bed as the town nestles down to sleep…
<~brock> == END LOG ==
<havrasti> (and is awaken in the middle of the night by dragon snores)
<havrasti> ( j/k )
<~brock> And is awakened in the middle of the night by FIREBALLS RAINING FROM THE HEAVENS!
<~brock> j/k… I think. ;)

Log 035

Red King's Command Wayfarer