Log 034

<~rkcgm> == START LOG ==
<~rkcgm> Last week, in Red King’s Command, you were sailing to the port of Saint Jerome where you expect to begin your short diplomatic tour of Alamanche.
<~rkcgm> This week, in Red King’s Command… Doom, doom, doom, ninjas. Go now!
<ellie> Ellie is oblivious to doom, doom, doom, and ninjas.
<ellie> :-p
^ Sila has no thoughts of doom or ninjas…she is looking forward to Books, books, books, Clues.
<ellie> Hehehehe
<sila> “So does this port have one of those libraries we’re supposed to check out?”
<~rkcgm> You wake up at 6:00 in the morning to a giant, ship-shaking sound.
^ Havrasti will be keen to keep a watch for his family, particularly his parents.
^ Havrasti is awoken up from his sleeping in, most annoying, he gets up and looks out in the hall for anyone who might know what’s happening
<~rkcgm> The sound repeats. It is EXTREMELY LOUD.
<havrasti> ((it could be Doom, doom, doom without ninjas :P ))
^ Sila wakes, listens for electronics, doesn’t hear any and suddenly comes fully awake…and promptly covers her ears
<sila> “Oh, yeah…Esserea…who’s using the ship as a bell?”
<ellie> Ellie is pulled groggily from sleep by Cinnamon Sugar’s frightened “MEW! MEWMEWMEWMEWMEW!” slightly before the the extremely loud repeated sound shakes her into full awakeness.
^ Ellie looks around, and over toward Anna’s bed. “What’s going on?”
<ellie> She lifts Cinnamon, in any case, and tries to comfort him while standing and beginning to search for her housecoat.
<sila> ^Maia was awake and on her feet moments after the first sound, and immediately goes to the cabin door and cracks it open
<~rkcgm> Anna sits up in confusion, speaking only French.
<~rkcgm> The ship’s horn sounds again.
<sila> ^Maia relaxes a bit as she identifies the “loud” as “not attack sounds”
<sila> “…what /is/ that, a fog horn?”
<~rkcgm> When Maia cracks the door open, she is able to see over one side of the ship into a dark and whispy cloud.
<ellie> Juggling Cinnamon from one arm to the next while donning said housecoat, Ellie proceeds from the task of covering herself to the task of peeking out the door.
<sila> Maia: “Perhaps – it does seem to be foggy. Why don’t you go make sure, child?”
<~rkcgm> Ellie sees the same thing as Maia did.
<sila> “Don’t call me a child…”
^ Ellie tries to discern if there’s anything other than fog going on.
^ Sila pulls on a jacket against chilly fog and heads up to the bridge
<~rkcgm> Anna rolls over in bed and puts her pillow over her head. Muffled complaints in French periodically come from beneath it.
^ Ellie considers, then tries using her telepathy to see whether there are any thoughts of alarm in the area.
^ Havrasti figures that since he’s up he might as well get about for the day. He heads out shortly after Sila does
^ Llewelyn is on the bridge with Captain Magaron. He looks well-rested. He also has a big red button that is labeled “FOG HORN”.
<ellie> !6d6: telepathy
<~rkcgm> ((Versus easy, Ellie.))
<~rkcgm> !2d6: versus
<ellie> ((No dicebot))
<sila> “Good whatever-time-it-is, Llewelyn, Captain. Any special reason we’re blowing the horn? I mean, I can see the fog, but you know…my mom didn’t see two millenia without a little healthy paranoia…”
<ellie> ((Either of you know where to find a dicebot? Brock does not.))
<~rkcgm> !2d6: versus
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (4+4). Total: 8.
<ellie> !6d6: Telepathy
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Telepathy”: (6+6+4+1+6+2). Total: 25.
^ Llewelyn points out the window. “Coastal fog bank.”
<ellie> !2d6: coin for crit
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “coin for crit”: (6+5). Total: 11.
<~rkcgm> ((Crit, Ellie.))
<~rkcgm> Green
<sila> “Ah, OK, just garden-variety weather then.”
<~rkcgm> Ellie is not able to detect any thoughts of alarm from the crew, just high alertness.
^ Ellie settles down and decides to go back to bed.
<havrasti> “So no giant sea monster striking the ship, then?”
<~rkcgm> Captain Magaron: “We’re gettin’ near the coast of Alamanche. There’ll be fishermen out here, and while our radar might show them at close range, I’d rather not run them down.”
<sila> “Hi Havrasti. Just clouds.”
^ Sila hugs Havrasti
<ellie> ((Nice try getting Ellie up at 6:00 am. Not happening like this. :-p ))
^ Llewelyn pushes the Big Red Button a few more times.
^ Ellie nestles more deeply in her bed, covering her head with her blankets.
<havrasti> “So I see, rather dreary.”
<sila> “I think that clock is trying to tell me it’s supposed to be morning, but given the lack of sea monsters, I’m inclined to go back to sleep.”
<havrasti> “But it’s after the normal getting up time, look, you can see where the sun is, even.”
<~rkcgm> Captain Magaron shrugs. “If you’d like. We’ll be coming into port here in the next few hours, though.”
<sila> “It might be after /your/ normal getting-up time, but not /mine/ – and I didn’t plan my going-to-sleep time to match this.”
<havrasti> “…we’re going to need some adjustments when we’re married, aren’t we.”
<sila> “Hehe, every marriage needs a crazy morning person to balance the night person. One manages crying children in the night, and the other makes sure the first one doesn’t oversleep on important days.”
<sila> “Or something like that.”
<~rkcgm> ((Spot checks for Sila, Havrasti, and Llewelyn, versus standard.))
<~rkcgm> !3d6: standard versus
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard versus”: (5+2+5). Total: 12.
<havrasti> !5d6 : Notice
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Notice”: (3+3+1+4+5). Total: 16.
<sila> !6d6
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (5+5+5+2+1+6). Total: 24.
<llewelyn> !5d6: perception
<painbot> [Llewelyn] rolled “perception”: (4+3+5+1+6). Total: 19.
<~rkcgm> Havrasti is too busy making eyes at Sila to notice a giant shadow that passes outside the bridge windows. But Llewelyn and Sila both happen to look that way just in time to see it.
<sila> “…on the other hand, I’m suddenly not feeling sleepy…”
<llewelyn> “What was THAT?”
<havrasti> “Oh? How come?”
<sila> ((what sort of shape and elevation is this shadow?))
<sila> “Because, what was THAT?”
^ Havrasti looks around for a That
<~rkcgm> ((Shadowy, and in the air. Against the background of the fog, hard to tell.))
^ Sila gestures “helpfully” in the general direction of the window
^ Ellie is finally asleep again in her cabin, blissfully unaware. Pity, that. :-p
<sila> “Maybe…maybe they have senior dragons in their coast guard, and someone just came to check out the unusual horn…”
<sila> “I’m going out on deck.”
<havrasti> “Or just a dragon curious about the horn.”
<havrasti> “Oh something else entirely.”
^ Sila goes out, standing carefully up against some structure where she won’t be an interesting silouette, and tries to locate The Shadow again
<~rkcgm> ((Roll perception versus standard, again.))
<~rkcgm> !3d6: versus
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (6+2+6). Total: 14.
<llewelyn> !5d6: perception
<painbot> [Llewelyn] rolled “perception”: (2+2+2+5+6). Total: 17.
<llewelyn> “I don’t see anything.”
<sila> !6d6
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (3+5+1+4+2+4). Total: 19.
<havrasti> !5d6; 1d6 : Perception + Being a Dragon
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception + Being a Dragon”: (3+6+4+5+4). Total: 22.
<havrasti> !1d6
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “1d6”: (6). Total: 6.
<havrasti> (so if “Being a Dragon” counts, then I got it, otherwise I don’t))
^ Sila gets and errant breath of smoke from the ships’ stack in her lungs and eyes and ends up coughing and tearing up instead of scanning the foggy sky properly
<~rkcgm> Only Havrasti sees the shadow moving, this time on the other side of the ship from you. It is large… might be a dragon, but not definitely.
<havrasti> “Still can’t make it out, it’s over there though.”
<sila> “Well…it’s airborne, and this is a dragon friendly area…let’s try air-code.”
^ Sila takes off her bracelet and roars the general challenge-to-strangers-not-in-my-territory
<~rkcgm> ((Roll luck versus standard, Sila.))
<sila> !4d6
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “4d6”: (6+4+3+2). Total: 15.
<~rkcgm> !3d6: luck versus standard
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “luck versus standard”: (5+3+2). Total: 10.
<~rkcgm> Sila just barely gets her challenge out before Captain Magaron hits that durned fog-horn again.
<ellie> !6d6: Does a dragon-roar re-awaken Ellie?
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Does a dragon-roar re-awaken Ellie?”: (3+1+3+4+4+1). Total: 16.
<~rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate for Ellie, who is trying to sleep through a ship’s fog horn and wake up for a quieter dragon roar
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate for Ellie, who is trying to sleep through a ship’s fog horn and wake up for a quieter dragon roar”: (6+6+6+1). Total: 19.
<sila> ((the dice heard you on that description I think :P ))
<ellie> Ellie apparently fell back asleep even more deeply than before.
<~rkcgm> ((The GM crits! :P ))
<ellie> ((Yeah, I said, “Who says a dragon’s roar would be quieter?” The GM and the dice, pretty much. :-p I’d imagined the reverse, really.))
<sila> ^Sam, on the other hand, never got back asleep after the fog horn woke him, and the sound of roaring is enough to convince him to get up.
^ Havrasti clambers atop Sila to get a better vantage point, totally not related to being in physical contact with her, nope nope
<~rkcgm> For twenty or thirty seconds after the fog-horn falls silent, Sila hears no reply; then she hears a roared ‘challenge-to-strangers-not-in-my-territory’.
<~rkcgm> ((Not an echo, just to clarify.))
<sila> “Huh…well at least we aren’t accused of tresspassing…”
<havrasti> “That’s good, I hope.”
^ Ellie dreams. Sweet, sweet dreams.
<ellie> In which there is no mysterious roaring.
<ellie> At all.
<ellie> Just the way she likes it.
^ Havrasti keeps an eye on the shadow
<~rkcgm> The Shadow is very, very indistinct.
^ Sila thinks a minute, then roars “Visitor seeking landing” which is not /quite/ accurate if you aren’t flying, but it’s the best fit air-code has for a boat seeking harbor
^ Havrasti takes a moment to glance at the waters to see if there are any local fishing boats
<~rkcgm> ((No fishing boats here.))
<~rkcgm> The Shadow does not respond for several minutes: Havrasti can’t see it anymore.
<~rkcgm> ((Roll perception one more time, versus difficult.))
<sila> !6d6
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (5+3+2+2+5+4). Total: 21.
<~rkcgm> !5d6: perception versus difficult, being a dragon applies
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “perception versus difficult, being a dragon applies”: (4+6+1+3+3). Total: 17.
<havrasti> !6d6 : Perception + Being a Dragon
<painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception + Being a Dragon”: (2+5+1+5+2+5). Total: 20.
<llewelyn> !5d6: perception
<painbot> [Llewelyn] rolled “perception”: (3+5+1+1+4). Total: 14.
<sila> “…someone’s pretty rusty on their air-code, it seems…”
^ Sila squints at the sky
<havrasti> “No idea where he or she went.”
<~rkcgm> A massive swirl of thick fog sweeps over the bridge. Accompanying it is a hush of wings, extremely close; but that is all.
<havrasti> “…well that was a little unnerving.”
<llewelyn> “That sounded close.”
<havrasti> “I’m going to go get Ellie, see what her telepathy can find out.”
^ Havrasti hops down and goes to knock on Ellie’s door
^ Ellie once again stirs groggily, this time at door-knocking. With a groan, she pushes herself up out of bed, once again dons her housecoat, and then goes over and peeks out the door.
<~rkcgm> Anna wakes up again, too.
<ellie> “Do people have something against sleep in the morning around here?” She grumb.es
^ Havrasti explains the situation
<sila> ^Sam finishes getting ready for the day and comes on-deck about this time
<havrasti> “So, can you look around with your telepathy for this dragon?”
<sila> ^Sam finishes getting ready for the day and comes on-deck about this time
<ellie> It takes a moment for the sleepy-fog to clear again, but by the time Havrasti has finished with the explanation, she’s fully awake.
<sila> ((oops, repost, sorry))
<ellie> “Hmmm. Yeah, I can try…” A look of concentration comes over Ellie’s face.
<ellie> !6d6: Telepathy to listen for unfamiliar dragonish thoughts
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Telepathy to listen for unfamiliar dragonish thoughts”: (3+6+5+6+3+2). Total: 25.
<~rkcgm> ((Crit – though only to the party coins.))
<~rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate versus
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate versus”: (1+2+1+6). Total: 10.
<ellie> !2d6: Party coin?
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Party coin?”: (1+3). Total: 4.
<ellie> Blue party coin
<~rkcgm> Ellie manages to establish telepathic contact with a dragon who is quietly circling the ship – and scanning the passengers and crew telepathically.
^ Havrasti heads back out to deck
^ Ellie raises an eyebrow. “Huh. So you’re listening for us, too. Are you friendly, by chance?” While she’s asking, she goes back into the cabin to dress herself properly.
<ellie> (^T)
<~rkcgm> The unknown dragon replies in an archaic telepathic voice: “I am friend to those who desire peace and justice, and plan not evil – of such folk art thou?”
<ellie> “Yes, that description would be true of us. We are are here on a peaceful ambassadorial mission. And even aside from our mission, we carry among us the desire to see wrongs righted and help for those in need of is. We would welcome speech with one whose goals are the same. Would you come down so we may greet you properly?” Ellie replies formally, while also stepping out of her cabin, having hastily donned daytime clothing.
<ellie> ^in need of it
<~rkcgm> Voice: “I shalt withdraw and consider.”
<~rkcgm> Anna notes that Ellie has gotten up and dressed; she grumbles and does the same.
<ellie> “As you choose,” Ellie replies to the telepathy voice. “In the meantime, our ship is making for port in Alamanche, and shall continue to make our way there.”
<havrasti> (at least ask for his name))
<ellie> “May I ask for your name? I am known as Ellie.” (T)
<ellie> ( T )
<~rkcgm> !1d2: on a one the dragon responds, on a 2 they do not since they’ve already withdrawn from range
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “on a one the dragon responds, on a 2 they do not since they’ve already withdrawn from range”: (1). Total: 1.
<sila> ^Sam: “Morning Sila, Havrasti…what’s the roaring?”
<havrasti> “An unknown dragon is flying around us.”
<sila> “Somebody’s circling…I /think/ they gave up and headed out just now. Responded to air-code, but slow – might be rusty on the codes or something.”
<~rkcgm> Dragon (Tele): “If I return I will tell you my name.”
<havrasti> (( boooo :P ))
<ellie> “As it suits you. It was an honor to speak with you. I hope in time we may meet in person,” Ellie replies.
<sila> “Hey Ellie – any luck?”
<~rkcgm> Ellie gets a sort of mental image, a sort of telepathic pictoral rhyme, dealing with a shadow of a light.
<ellie> ((Will answer in a moment))
<ellie> !6d6: Perception to see if Ellie noted any signs of deception in the foregoing conversation.
<painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Perception to see if Ellie noted any signs of deception in the foregoing conversation.”: (1+2+6+6+1+6). Total: 22.
<~rkcgm> !5d6: difficult versus to detect if the Voice is deceptive
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficult versus to detect if the Voice is deceptive”: (2+5+5+6+5). Total: 23.
<~rkcgm> ((The other dragon was not being deceptive.))
^ Havrasti heads to the bridge to inquire when they shal likely get in to port
^ Ellie joins the others on deck. “Well, so-so. She was scanning us telepathically. So I said hello and asked if she was a friend. She said she was a friend to those who desire peace and justice, and I confirmed that we’re some of those and invited her to come down and talk. She said she needed to think about it, and was going away and might return.”
<ellie> “I asked her name and told her mine, but she didn’t want to tell me unless she came back.”
<ellie> “…I think she may have given me a hint. But she definitely didn’t say. In any case, I told her we were heading to port in Alamanche, so… it’s kinda up to her what happens from there.”
<~rkcgm> Captain Magaron informs Havrasti that it’s still two hours to port, mostly because he had to slow the ship down because of the thick fog.
<sila> “Well…hmm. They’re expecting us in Alamanche, so it shouldn’t be too much trouble.”
<sila> “Havrasti, get down, I need to shift for breakfast.”
^ Ellie shrugs. “I guess I just wasn’t meant to finish my night’s sleep.” Ellie still looks rather disgruntled at being awake. :-p
<sila> “But look on the bright side – fresher bacon!”
^ Sila shifts
<~rkcgm> The dragon roars out ‘visitor-seeking-landing’ in air code.
<sila> “HAVRA! Are you going to come…nevermind…”
<ellie> “Aaah. Hmm, there you go.”
^ Sila shifts again and roars “Offering-landing”
<havrasti> “For bacon yes I’m- hmm, did that dragon hear you?”
^ Sila makes a fire-circle around the landing zone, to mark the flat spot
<sila> !6d6: Magical landing lights
<painbot> [Sila] rolled “Magical landing lights”: (4+2+5+5+3+3). Total: 22.
<~rkcgm> !3d6: standard versus for Sila
<painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard versus for Sila”: (2+2+4). Total: 8.
<~rkcgm> ((Success))
<~rkcgm> A very, very large dark gray dragon sweeps out of the fog, mist smoking off her wings as she comes in for a perfect four-claw landing.
<~rkcgm> ((Not even Havrasti has seen a dragon this large before.))
^ Havrasti looks her over, does she look familiar? (Perfect Memory)
<sila> ^Maia has been watching from the stairway ((older than her? Really?))
<rkcgm> ((Younger, but larger.))
<havrasti> ((ah, I guess if I haven’t seen one this large before, then I haven’t seen her :P ;) ))
<rkcgm> ((Prolly.))
^ Sila lowers her wings in a dragonish bow
<sila> “Greetings, elder.”
^ Ellie steps forward. “Greetings. I am Ellie. We are pleased you chose to come and meet us.”
<~rkcgm> Dragon reciprocates: “I thank thee for the hospitality and fair landing.”
<havrasti> “I am Havrasti.”
^ Havrasti gives a slight bow
^ Sila can totally do “ancient”
<sila> “I am Sila, daughter of Leto.”
<llewelyn> “Llewelyn ap-Arwel.”
<sila> Sam: “Samurr son of Leto.”
<~rkcgm> The dragon folds her wings. “I greet thee, Sila Leto-daughter, Sam Leto-son; Havrasti; Llewelyn; Ellie. I bear the name Yveshyna.” ((Translated from Draconic – “Shadow of a light.”))
<havrasti> ((/me will have added a “son of Khern” to his))
<sila> “Yveshyna, be welcome in…pardon, /on/ our vessel. Rest thy wings and be at peace.”
^ Sila mangles the formal greeting to a visitor seeking landing slightly, since “in our territory” doesn’t apply
^ Havrasti is quite shocked and amazed that she would show up here
^ Ellie has no clue who we’re talking to, and will let the dragons take the lead.
^ Sila is not placing the name, but she can at least be polite
<havrasti> “How can we help you?”
^ Llewelyn whispers to Ellie: “Yveshyna’s one of the greatest of dragons – she’s almost legendary.”
^ Ellie blinks in surprise a little at the information. She’s not really sure what to say to that…
<ellie> She’s even more going to let the dragons take the lead. :-p
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna mantles her wings, and nods formally to the dragons, particularly in response to Sila’s greeting. “I thank you for your welcome and the rest, Sila Leto-daughter.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna moves forward a bit to clear the landing area and make for a more polite conversation.
<sila> ^Maia takes that as her cue to come out from behind the visitor
<sila> ^Maia: “Greetings, Yveshyna. I am Maia Leto-wife.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna sees Maia, and ducks her head respectfully. “Greetings, Elder.”
<sila> ^Maia: “It has been long since I have spoken with one at near my own age as yourself – will time permit that you tarry for conversation?”
^ Havrasti whispers to Sila, “Yveshyna is nerely a legend, imagine that you’re meeting George Washington or someone like that.”
^ Sila whispers “George Washington? He’s dead, what are you…Oh. OH. That Yveshyna…erk. No wonder she talks more like mom than you.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna keeps her head inclined downward, as is extremely polite, until Maia acknowledges her greeting.
^ Llewelyn lets the dragons converse.
<sila> ((Maia did acknowledge, and is now awaiting information about the visitor’s intended schedule))
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna addresses Maia: “I regret have little time this morn; I fly north with speed on… business. But I shall tarry an hour in good company.”
^ Havrasti asks respectfully “What brings you to us?”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Passing over, my curiosity stirred: five kin bound south on a ship of the otherworld. Of such things, I consider worthy of attention.”
<sila> “Ah, I see. We are come to support the ambassador of our nation, in hope of arranging peaceful relations with Alamanche.”
<havrasti> “Can you assume a humanoid form? We were about to have breakfast, there’s bacon.”
<sila> Maia: “My family have now flown the winds of Esserea this millenium, so I was glad to be offered the opportunity.”
<sila> ((have NOT flown))
^ Sila practically holds her breath, wondering if the elder-dragon will take offense at being asked to get small
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna gestures with one wing, then blurs down to a smaller size and humanoid form.
^ Havrasti didn’t think of that, low Cha and being in that form so much it’s common
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Very well.”
^ Sila lets out her breath
<havrasti> ((is she a human or elf, or a human sized and shaped dragon?))
^ Sila Sam and Maia all put on their shifting-jewels
<havrasti> (oh, didn’t know they had them off)
<sila> ^Maia “Please, join us in the galley and we will share our provision.”
<~rkcgm> In humanoid form, she looks vaguely half-elven – wearing chainmail armor finished to an almost glittering finish.
<sila> (Sila at the Very least had hers off to roar ;) )
<havrasti> ((yeah, Sila I knew))
<~rkcgm> Anna was standing in the back, still in human form.
<sila> (and Maia would take hers off for formal introductions – plus, otherwise, how would Y. identify her as an elder?)
<havrasti> (fair enough)
<sila> (not that she had trouble identifying us as dragons anyway, what with telepathy and all :P )
^ Ellie allows the dragons to lead the way, but turns to follow after.
<sila> ^Sam hangs back to walk with Anna
<~rkcgm> Anna elbows Sam. “Who’s this lady again?”
<sila> Sam: “The big famous not-evil dragon from the orientation pack, I think?”
<sila> Sam: “Let’s duck in and let the cook know we need an extra serving.”
^ Havrasti doesn’t bother with getting the ambassador, since Yveshyna isn’t actually part of the Alamache government or the like, and is here to see us dragons, he’d probably just get annoyingly in the way
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna joins you as you walk to breakfast.
<sila> Sam: “Whoever she is, she’s massively elder to me, that’s for certain.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Right. Let’s go find the cook, then.”
<sila> ^Maia takes on the role of hostess, and offers Yveshyna a seat at the table, then details Sila to serve
^ Llewelyn walks with Ellie to breakfast.
<sila> Maia: “It’s not precisely yesterday’s hunting, but you understand we share our provision with the other races here.”
<ellie> “Well, unexpected visitors are always interesting,” Ellie comments quietly while they’re on the way down.
^ Havrasti does wonder where the captain is in all this, surely he’d have interest when an enormous dragon lands on his ship
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Don’t concern yourself with it; I am well-acquainted with human provisions.”
^ Sila gets lots of bacon from the breakfast layout, and slightly less of things like fruit and bagels
<~rkcgm> Magaron is on the bridge saying “Eh, dragon – them dragons can handle their own, so long as they don’t go rarin’ or fightin’ on me ship…” ;)
<havrasti> (rather understanding for a captain, or just knows his place in regards to dragons :P ;) )
<ellie> ((And elven magic-users. :-p ))
<sila> Sam: “…so you see, I know it’s weird to make fish for breakfast, but it’s most polite to offer recent hunting and since we /have/ hunted recently, if you could fry up some of the sharkfish, that would be best. But only if it’s fast, she has to leave within the hour.”
^ Llewelyn nods at Ellie. “Right. Yveshyna’s certainly an interesting sort – though I’ve never met her before.”
<~rkcgm> The cook gets the fish fryers out.
^ Havrasti feels a little intimidated by her
^ Sila serves around the food, very different from the usual buffet-style arrangements
<ellie> Once they arrive, Ellie takes a seat at an available spot.
<ellie> Quietly, as is the norm for her. ;-)
<sila> “I hope you like bagels – I don’t know if they really make them here?”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna shakes her head. “I have not encountered them before.”
^ Sila slides a fruit-and-bagel heavy plate in front of Ellie, only two pieces of bacon on it since she was running out
^ Ellie doesn’t comment on the low bacon rations. :-p ;-)
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna looks at Maia: “If you might pardon my presumption, Elder, you said your name was Maia Leto-Wife?”
<sila> “I think they’re originally from mid-eastern Earth? Anyway, a dense bread…”
^ Sila shuts up
<sila> Maia: “Yes. Leto and I left Esserea many centuries ago.”
^ Maia considers Yveshyna
<maia> “Large as you are, I think perhaps you were not hatched yet?”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna appears very curious. “THE Leto?”
<havrasti> “The?”
<maia> “It was during the time of Vanceglere’s great slaying… what, has there been more than one Leto? Leto the Worldwalker was my mate.”
^ Maia snorts
<maia> “Not that he /ever/ made a portal on the ground, to my knowledge.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “The world-crosser. I had heard he was slain, many years ago.”
<maia> “Alas, yes, we were not a decade in the other world before one found us that thought to become great by slaying a monster. Alas that he slew my lifemate instead.”
^ Maia pokes at her food
<maia> “It goes to show…no place is safe unless you make it safe.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Verily? Such was not the chronicle I was told in my youth.”
<maia> “Oh? What then were you told?”
<maia> ^Sila shakes her head at her mother’s pessimism, but stays quiet to hear the story
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna speaks in a sort of singsong – if she’d been speaking draconic, she’d have the start of an epic poem: “Twas told to me that He-Speaks-in-Seven-Voices tried to tempt him to his side, as a servant and ally; but refusing the temptations, they fell to blows. Long and furious was the struggle – and in such He-Speaks lost his first voice before at last triumphing.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “But many are his lies; I would not doubt that such was yet another of them, spoken even to my own ears.”
<maia> Sila: "Wait…art though claiming my father fought with Whiteteeth?
"
<maia> “Well. It is true enough that Leto once came to blows with one of the Silent ones, and that not terribly long before we departed, but so far as I recall he never met the Falseling himself.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “The claim is not mine, but his.”
<maia> “Feh. He who lies with seven voices, indeed.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “But as I say, many are his lies.”
<maia> Sila: “Well this is certainly truth: when he died, my mother and my egg, and that of my hatchmate and two other siblings, were already on Earth. It seems unlikely that, having once gained such safety, he would then return to Esserea without them, no?”
<havrasti> “Though I doubt the legend as commonly told on Earth is entirely accurate either.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “When you said your names, though, I remembered old and long-forgotten tales, and wondered at the truth of it.”
<maia> “Hah. Indeed. He did not die at the hands of the Falseling, nor did he die eggless. My daughter has inherited his gift for world-crossing.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Is that so?” She looks at Sila approvingly.
<maia> “…and Samurr his obsession with getting involved in other people’s battles, but there, that is noble. Where /is/ Sam?”
<maia> ^Sila nods at Yveshyna, adding “Woefully undertrained, but I’m working on that.”
<~rkcgm> Anna appears, with Sam, each carrying one side of a supersized platter of fried fish.
<maia> Sam: “Here we are – by the grace of the cook, a serving from yesterday’s hunting!”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Oho, splendid!”
<havrasti> “Yay!”
<maia> “Ah, very thoughtful Samurr. We must remember to thank the cook for altering his breakfast plans on such short notice.”
<maia> ^Sam takes a turn serving out food
<maia> Sam: “You want some sharkfish, Ellie? Or are you full already?”
<ellie> “Oh, I would like to try some,” Ellie answers.
<llewelyn> “I’ll try some too, thank you.”
^ Ellie is actually kinda curious, though she doesn’t normally like fish.
<maia> ^Sam serves them in turn
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna glances over at Havrasti. “Do pardon me – but I find your name and form curiously familiar. Have we met in some distant place?”
<maia> “A narrow filet – is this from your take, Anna?”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Yes ma’am.”
<maia> Sam: “It fit the pan best.”
<havrasti> “I certainly do not recall meeting you, at least not in your true form.”
^ Maia adds to Yveshyna, “Anna was raised in a humanoid family – this is the biggest prey she’s ever taken!”
<havrasti> “I was a prisoner of the Tadgh for some years, rescued around twenty years ago.”
^ Maia doesn’t mind being proud of her students as well as her children ;)
<~rkcgm> Anna nods. “Anna Vaillancourt, madam.”
<havrasti> “My father and mother had also been captured with me, but I hear they were freed at some other point in time. May you have heard news of Khern or Fivlari?”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna smiles politely at Anna before turning back to Havrasti.
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Khern – or Fivlari? Verily, I do know those names, though not well. Was not Khern a scholar, and one of the first and finest amongst the ranks of our kind?”
<havrasti> “They both were, yes.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Tis unfortunate that their example is not more often emulated…”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna looks thoughtful.
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Say you they were freed – where are they now?”
<havrasti> “We hear they are in Almanache, so I was quite glad to be brought on this diplomatic trip.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Is that so? You seek them, then?”
<havrasti> “I do, yes.”
<havrasti> “As does my brother and his mate, who we met on the way here.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Then I might instruct you to go to Trois-Rivieres. Speak with a man there, a merchant named Joseph Gilles. He is trusted by me to learn many things.”
<havrasti> “Thank you.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “Ask him for his aid, and give him this in return.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna gives Havrasti one of her ear-rings. “He shall recognize it and aid you, so far as he is able.”
^ Havrasti takes it in his hand carefully
<havrasti> “Thank you again.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “As I told your half-elven friend – I am friend to those who desire peace and justice.”
^ Havrasti nods
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “And now, I thank thee for this hearty meal and companionship; but I must be about my errand in the north. I dare say we shalt meet again.”
<maia> “Thank you for pausing with us. May your flight benefit from a tailwind and your business from reasonable associates.”
<havrasti> “Farewell.”
<sila> “If the honored elder permits, I will show you out to the launching zone.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna rises and bows, accepting Sila’s offer.
^ Ellie nods politely, having waited for most of the dragons to say their farewells. “Thank you for honoring us with your time and conversation.”
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “And thank you for thine.”
^ Sila bows back and leads her back up on deck
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna goes with Sila (and anyone else) out on deck.
^ Sila falls back on earth tradition rather than dragon tradition for her final words: “Fare well wherever you fare.”
<~rkcgm> Once she’s back in the open, it’s back to dragon form – Sila wonders how a dragon that big can even fly, even with a wingspan that large.
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna: “And the same to thee and thine, Sila Leto-daughter.”
^ Havrasti waves goodbye
<~rkcgm> Yveshyna takes to the air with a casual ease – you might almost say she falls into the sky.
^ Sila wonders in the the “that’s amazing” sense, not with any actual sense of doubt. After all, she’s seen her mother fly, and knows a lot about both aerodynamics and magic ;)
^ Sila waves goodbye too
<havrasti> (are the mists gone by now?)
<sila> “That was great – we got a new story about dad!”
<~rkcgm> ((Actually…))
<sila> Sam: “Yeah, it’s like pulling live scales to get mom to talk about dad!”
<~rkcgm> Within five minutes of Yveshyna’s departure, the sun suddenly cracks through the fog and scatters it in moments; all you see is a bank of fog retreating rapidly northward.
<sila> “Is it just me, or is she carrying around her own weather?”
<llewelyn> “I’m pretty sure she can do that.”
^ Ellie , who followed Llewelyn up when he apparently followed Sila and Yveshyna… doesn’t comment, but does watch.
<sila> “I guess it’s discrete?”
<havrasti> “Impressive.”
<havrasti> ((and we’ll need to be going now))
<~rkcgm> Now visible on the southern horizon is a low land-mass, and a port filled with sailing ships. Your vessel begins its slow approach.
<~rkcgm> Next week, on Red King’s Command, diplomacy with something that’s NOT a ninja dragon. ;)
<~rkcgm> == END LOG ==

Log 034

Red King's Command Wayfarer