Log 033

<~brock> == START LOG ==
<~brock> Last time (and it was a bit of time ago), you returned to the ship which is transporting you and the rest of your party to your first stop in Alamanche.
<~brock> Sila’s mom had a minor freak-out moment because you brought back a young giantess, who is now “de-sized and disguised” as a mostly-normal human.
<~brock> The ship’s captain anticipates picking up the official ambassador to Alamanche sometime the next morning (who shall be transported to the ship by we-don’t-know-what-means). The ship is scheduled to arrive two days out at Alamanche’s largest northeastern port, Saint Jerome.
<havrasti> (flown on by dragon? :P ;) )
<~brock> ((Teleported by a magical portal hidden in the back side all laundry dryers, actually.))
<havrasti> ((so he’s as big as a sock? :P ))
<ellie> ((The one that also incidentally teleports one and only one of each pair of socks Somewhere Else?))
<~brock> ((He’s an Obama appointee, so he has the personality of a sock, yes.))
<havrasti> ((oh dear))
<~brock> (( :P ))
<ellie> ((I asked Brock whether we were intended to like the ambassador or not. He had not decided yet. I take it he now has. :-p )
^ Llewelyn has a nice rest and wakes up to watch the sunrise at sea.
^ Ellie … is not so ambitious as to be awake by sunrise. Cinnamon Sugar, however, is hungry, and has other ideas…
^ Havrasti is up early as well (habits of a cattle rancher) but has nothing much to do besides eat breakfast… lots of breakfast, yum
^ Havrasti has a to wait a an hour or so for the cook to wake up, unfortuantely
^ Sila and her mother sleep in easily enough – the old aches and pains that used to wake Maia up aren’t there anymore, after all ;)
^ Ellie carries Cinnamon Sugar up on deck before the sunrise colors have faded, grumbling at him quietly about not pouncing her multiple times while she’s asleep in the morning.
<ellie> “Mew!” (Tr. “But I was huuuuungry!”)
<ellie> ^Cinnamon Sugar ;-)
^ Llewelyn is eating a bagel on the main deck. “Morning, Ellie.”
^ Sila does wake up when the ship starts smelling like frying bacon…
<ellie> “Morning!” Ellie tries not to sound too grouchy.
<llewelyn> “Sleep well?”
<ellie> “Oh, yes, just fine. At least until this little one took it into his head to be a hungry pest.” She looks down at Cinnamon Sugar reprovingly. Cinnamon puts on his best cute, innocent kitten look.
<llewelyn> “Ohhh.”
^ Sila wanders into the mess, Maia behind her, and Sam just exiting his room as well
^ Llewelyn looks at Cinnamon Sugar. “Are you wanting some food? I can take you to find something tasty, so Miss Ellie can go back to bed…”
<sila> “Baaaaacon…”
<havrasti> “Hello Sila.”
^ Sila does the zombie-arm thing
<havrasti> “Good to see you finally up.”
<sila> “Baaaaaaaaaaaacon…”
^ Havrasti laughs
^ Sila winks at Havrasti
<ellie> “Heh. Thanks, but I’m up now. I might as well stay up. Now that I’m moving, I think I’m hungry, myself. Seems you’ve already eaten?” Ellie glances at the bagel.
^ Sila checks the deck for non-dragons
<sila> <.>< >.>
<llewelyn> “Just a snack. I was feeling a bit peckish.”
<llewelyn> “Shall we head to the dining room?”
<sila> ((any non-dragons in sight? Sila is trying to decide if it’s safe to say stuff that would gross out Ellie :P ))
<ellie> ((Well, Ellie and Llew are up on deck, still…))
<~brock> ((Roll luck versus simple, Sila.))
<sila> ((don’t want the crew to think I’m a barbarian either))
<~brock> !2d6: luck
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “luck”: (1+3) = 4.
<sila> !2d6
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled 2d6: (4+1) = 5.
<~brock> ((Success. Barely. Nobody else in sight…))
^ Sila lowers her voice and tells Havrasti “Not that I don’t like brains too, but you have to eat them fresh or they just go nasty.”
<ellie> “Sure. Sounds like a good idea.” Ellie looks over at the sunrise colors. “Pretty sunrise… but that won’t keep this little one from pestering me for food, I think.” She pets Cinnamon affectionately as she makes the comment.
<havrasti> “True, though I do you eat them all by themselves and not with the rest of the body?”
<sila> “Never tried. I hear some human culture in …Asia? Knows how to prepare them, though. I may have to try and find out some day.”
^ Llewelyn offers to hold Cinnamon Sugar as they walk to the cafeteria.
<havrasti> “I’m not sure asian food counts as sane examples among humans.”
^ Ellie hands off the kitten, who mews a little, but settles down without too much fuss.
<sila> “Aw, don’t you like Asian? I’ll grant you they eat too much vegetarian for dragons to appreciate as a habit, but some of it’s still good.”
^ Llewelyn rewards Cinnamon Sugar with much pettings.
<sila> “You should try Mongolian Barbecue. Mom says it’s not too far off from some old dragon feasting ritual…I beg leave to doubt the degree of similarity, but still.”
<~brock> ((Mmm. Mongolian Barbarque…))
<~brock> ((Stop making the GM hungry, by the by.))
<havrasti> “Oh, sure, some is interesting and edible, but some other kinds? Fish icecream… no. Just… no.”
^ Llewelyn then heads to the cafeteria, grabbing a saucer of milk for the wee little kitty.
<sila> ((hehe – we’re making each other hungry too. Maybe we should fast-forward to /after/ breakfast?))
<sila> “Well if you like fish, and you like cream…”
<havrasti> “No, just no.”
<sila> “I mean, most of the humans I know who think Asian food is all crazy point to sushi, but let’s face it, I’ve eaten all kinds of meat raw. Fish, venison, beef…not pork, though, even Mom draws the line somewhere.”
<~brock> AFTER BREAKFAST, which was very good and mouth-watering, you find yourself sitting around a table as the ship’s steward’s mates remove the dirty dishes.
<sila> Maia: “…so you see, it was probably dragons who invented alchemy, even if others have taken it further.”
<llewelyn> ((I’m disconnected again.))
<brock_> ((Arg.))
<sila> Sila: “Mom, I love you but sometimes you sound like the crazy dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Kimono does not have a greek root; give it up.”
<sila> Maia: “It’s /true/ you ungrateful eggling! Look, no one can deny our people have taken energetic manipulation further than any other culture, taken as a whole.”
^ Ellie is diplomatically uninterested in the roots of alchemy.
^ Havrasti ‘s head is all passed over in this discussion
<sila> Sila: "Irrelevant, and don’t call me an eggling."
<llewelyn> “Well, it’s an interesting position to take, none the less.”
<sila> Maia: “And everything is energy, as you very well know!”
<sila> Sam: “Sure, sure, except when you observe it, we passed advanced Physics. What does that have to do with alchemy?”
<sila> Maia: “So who but a hoardless dragon would get the idea of altering the energy levels of base metals to get better ones? And that’s where it all started, so…”
<sila> Sila: “Um, gee let me think…only /every/ mage and non-mage ever to experience an economic disaster.”
^ Llewelyn dabs his napkin in the last of his water and wipes his face. “That’s where it started in the legends on Earth, but not elsewhere…”
<sila> Maia: “Humph.”
^ Havrasti asks Llewelyn “So when is the ambassador supposed to arive, any minute now?”
<llewelyn> “He should arrive sometime this morning, yes.”
^ Ellie has taken to playing with Cinnamon via a lightbent “laser-pointer” dot.
<havrasti> “Ok.”
<llewelyn> “He’ll probably use our most regular method of tween-world transit.”
<ellie> “What’s that?”
<havrasti> “Which is?”
<llewelyn> “Well, it’s a sort of metal box, about the size and shape of a telephone booth. Go in, close the doors, and a mage activates the device on one end; it then sends you to a similar device on the other end. We call it a Wardrobe.”
<llewelyn> “Except for Douglas, who calls it a Transmogriportifier.”
<ellie> “Heh”
<ellie> “Soooooo many references involved, it’s not even funny. Though I like that the wardrobe comes first.”
<havrasti> “I doubt it’s quite as elegant as the original wardrobe.”
<llewelyn> “That was my doing.”
^ Ellie grins
<llewelyn> “The only hitch with the Wardrobe is that it doesn’t quite work on anything that’s not living material.”
^ Sila chuckles
<havrasti> “What, transported naked only?”
<ellie> “Heh, um… okay, yeah, I could see where that would be a problem. So someone has to discretely pass in clothing once the person gets here?”
<llewelyn> “Yes.”
<havrasti> “Ah, so it really does need to be a wardrobe.”
<ellie> “Hehe. That would be convenient. Need to build a wardrobe onto the front of it, for the person to step out into.”
<ellie> “And then when the come out of that, they really could have come through a wardrobe.”
<havrasti> “So where is the wardrobe on this end we’re going to? Or is it on the ship all this time already?”
^ Llewelyn snorts. “The one in DEAR headquarters is a bit like that, yes.”
<llewelyn> “I think we put our spare Wardrobe in the ambassador’s soon-to-be cabin. We should hear when it goes off.”
<~brock> There’s a sound that echoes through the ship that sounds like a “THUMP!”
<llewelyn> “Like that.”
<ellie> “Heh. I wonder if he came because his ears were burning…”
<havrasti> “Aha! Shall we go greet him then?”
<sila> “Give him time to get dressed, dear.”
<llewelyn> “I think the ‘only living matter’ thing came because we wanted to make sure nobody transported fully-armed warriors between the worlds.”
<ellie> “Aaah. Yeah… I can see the advantages of that…”
<~brock> (Two of the crewmen go to knock on the ambassador’s door to help.)
<sila> “Ah, kind of like how free-standing portals are supposed to divert to the DEAR lobby?”
<ellie> “…Why am I getting the feeling that they’re concerned about having to fend off an invasion?”
^ Ellie lightbends Cinnamon through a final bit of acrobatic light-point chasing, then disappears the dot at catches him into her arms. He squirms and mews complainingly about the disappearance of his prey.
<ellie> “Heh, settle down, little one, it’ll be back.” Ellie pets him to calm him.
<havrasti> “Well, you’ve got wars and aggressive dictators over here looking for expansion. It only makes sense to prepare against them.”
<llewelyn> “Well, the Red King did threaten that, once – twenty, twenty-five years back, I think it was. He threatened to send a few mages to Earth.”
<havrasti> “What happened to stop that?”
<sila> “Send a few mages? I’ll grant there’s not many on Earth, but that hardly sounds like an invasion.”
<llewelyn> “President Reagan threatened to send a Trident missile submarine across the barrier to nuke everything. And also to use all the gold in Fort Knox to massively devalue Starmarch’s currency. Not sure which threat the Red King feared more, but he made a sort of truce with the Earth-nations.”."
<ellie> “Heh. When threatening an enemy, make sure they aren’t able to make threats more dire than yours…”
<llewelyn> “As to ‘just a few mages’ – keep in mind that we didn’t really have an organization like DEAR at the time.”
<ellie> “And I suppose if Sila keeps trying to convince me that I’m dangerous, a few fully trained mages bent on doing an evil dictator’s bidding…” Ellie glances at Sila teasingly.
<havrasti> “Well, the Red King does have a mage with your exact capability, and yes, he does use it dangerously.”
<sila> “I didn’t say they weren’t dangerous, just that it wasn’t the same as an invasion.”
^ Ellie looks a little more serious, but shrugs and continues administering ear-skritchies to Cinnamon Sugar.
<ellie> “Anyway… we didn’t have to deal with that, for which we are grateful.”
<sila> “Would’ve been a different world growing up, that’s for sure.”
<ellie> “Heh. Hard to imagine.”
<llewelyn> “It certainly would have challenged the Earth-held opinions of science and magic.”
<~brock> After a few more moments, a new face appears in the dining lounge.
^ Ellie looks up to study the new arrival, though she’s probably not going to be the first to say anything, of course. ;-)
<~brock> The newcomer is in his late forties or early fifties, male, with a receding hairline. He wears nice pants and a long-sleeve dress shirt, but with the sleeves rolled up at the cuffs.
<sila> “Hello.”
^ Ellie adds her greeting to Sila’s.
<~brock> The ambassador looks over. “Good morning.”
<havrasti> “Did you have a pleasant trip?”
<~brock> He heads over to your table. “You must be the group I was told to expect?”
^ Ellie nods an affirmation, looking around at the others as she does.
^ Sila nods too
<~brock> The ambassador sticks his hand out at Havrasti, as the closest person to him. “A short trip… for the distance traveled. Not exactly the way I’d prefer to travel, though.”
<~brock> Ambassador: “I’m Robert Crouch. You are?”
<havrasti> “Havrasti Dvorak.”
<~brock> Ambassador: “Ah. Feel free to call me Bob?”
<sila> “Sila Leto.”
<~brock> ((Remove the question mark, sorry.))
<~brock> “Bob” shakes hands with Sila, then with Llewelyn.
<llewelyn> “We’ve met before – about a year ago.”
<llewelyn> “You probably won’t remember me.”
^ Llewelyn introduces himself anyway.
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch: “I’m afraid I don’t remember you, but I’ve heard your name. One of Douglas’s mages.”
<llewelyn> “That’s right.”
^ Ellie waits til last to introduce herself. “Ellie Ross,” she says, also offering a hand.
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch shakes hands. “A pleasure, Miss Ross. I understand I should congratulate you for finding your mother, correct?”
<ellie> “Yes. My father and I have been relieved and excited to have her back. Thank you.”
<ellie> “Douglas must have passed along information about each of us, then?”
<~brock> Crouch: “Just a few bits and pieces I’ve picked up along the way.”
<ellie> “Ah.” Ellie doesn’t know what to think of this answer, but covers for it by returning her hand to its former petting of her kitten. Cinnamon Sugar makes no protest against this.
<~brock> Crouch: “I’m told that the four of you – and possibly a few others? – shall be joining me in the tour of Alamanche governmental functions.”
<sila> Sam: “I’m along to make suitably impressive goodies for gifting.”
<ellie> " We were told we’d be accompanying you to Alamanche and Elmercina, yes. And Douglas briefed us a bit on what we’d be doing Anything you’d particularly like us to know, though?"
<sila> ^Sam offers a hand. “Sam Leto. My alchemy tutor is around here somewhere too – can’t think how she wasn’t drawn in by the cooking smells.”
<~brock> Crouch: “A pleasure, Mister Leto. And yes – we have a bit of a schedule in Alamanche. Have you been told about that?”
<ellie> “Aaah, generalities, I think. Not too much in the way of specifics.”
<havrasti> “So what bits and pieces do you know about us? Surely they’d have told you we’re not all human.”
<sila> “…that we’re all not human…”
<havrasti> “Not exactly true, Ellie is half human.”
<~brock> Crouch: “…oh, um. I was given to understand that – though I don’t know all of the particulars.”
^ Ellie is dissatisfied with the fact that this individual is not forthcoming with his sources and will not be volunteering any more information about herself as yet. :-p
<~brock> Crouch: “Er… shall that have any impact on our visit which I need to be informed of?”
<sila> “Well, I thought you were the one who was supposed to know that?”
<sila> “A bunch of us are dragons, but I hear Alamanche doesn’t have a problem with that…”
<havrasti> “No, it doesn’t, lots of dragons live there.”
<~brock> Crouch: “Oh, good. Alamanchois have very good relationships with the northern dragons. That shall not be a problem at all, I think.”
<havrasti> ((does Havrasti’s perfect memory confirm or disprove that?))
<~brock> ((Confirms.))
<havrasti> “That about sums it up, yes.”
<~brock> Crouch turns back to Ellie: “In any case, as I was saying the major event will be two weeks from now. The Consuls shall be presenting their yearly address to the Alamanche Assembly – it’s the time for all of the movers and shakers in Alamanche to gather and discuss politics. It’s the time where foreign ambassadors usually present their embassies to the Consulate.”
<~brock> Crouch: “My objective, coming straight from the President, is to solidify relations with what the US government believes to be the most friendly and forward-looking of the Esserean nation-states – a potential key ally in this world.”
<ellie> “Aaah. And what do you anticipate that involving?”
^ Llewelyn looks at Crouch. “You know they’re going to ask for weapons and technology, right?”
<~brock> Crouch uses his diplomatic face on Llewelyn: “Yes, I know that. Certainly, technological transfer could perhaps be arranged, but at the present time we don’t wish to be involved with arming otherworldly states – at least until we have fully studied the ramifications of such activities.”
<sila> “What are we looking for in return?”
^ Sila tries to memorize the diplomatic phrases for later use
<~brock> Crouch: “The President hopes that Alamanche will have an interest in trading raw materials to the US.”
<sila> “…do the Alamanchoise make good steel? I’m sure we’d like to reduce our dependency on the Chinese stuff…”
<havrasti> (Perfect Memory: do they?)
^ Ellie is thinking, “Oh, great, trade relations. And where exactly are we fitting in, again?…”
<ellie> She concentrates her nervousness on kitten-ear skritching. Cinnamon purrs.
<havrasti> “Alamanche does have decent steel, yes. And a few other good metals, such as tin and nickle.”
<~brock> Crouch nods. “Alamanche is just generally well-positioned to lead an Esserean industrial revolution – and the President certainly hopes this can be accomplished in a more environmentally-friendly fashion than our own.”
<sila> “That would be good – we wouldn’t want to become associated with the discovery of industrial smog.”
<sila> “…though I hear heating a city with fire places has a similar effect.”
<~brock> Crouch nods.
<~brock> Crouch: “In any case, the primary purpose of our mission will be to establish general good feelings between ourselves and Alamanche. They do feel a lot of pressure from their place in the world, what with Starmarch breathing down their collective necks.”
<ellie> “So. Get them to like us enough that they’re not as afraid of the local bully?”
<havrasti> “Because they’ll be able to call on us to stomp the local bully.”
<havrasti> “Sounds good.”
<havrasti> ((waits for the ambassador to go “OH NONONON! No stomping!” :P ;) ))
<~brock> Crouch: “Between ourselves, I have doubts the President will ever let us become militarily involved in Esserea. But we certainly would like to cultivate influence in the event that sort of thing does happen.”
^ Havrasti comments to Sila, “Maybe the next pres will be more gunho.”
<sila> “I bet his diplomats will still be focussed on influence, though.”
<ellie> “Well… I guess that gives us a bit more of a picture what we’re doing here. You said this main event is in two weeks. What’re we doing between now and then?”
<~brock> Crouch: “Once we arrive in Saint-Jerome, I’m going to be traveling a quick circuit of the northeastern cities. You can accompany me, or meet me in the capital in twelve days.”
<havrasti> “We have some renowned libraries to visit, there’ll likely be some on the circuit.”
<~brock> Crouch: “Very well. Now… if you don’t mind, I’m going to grab some food before they clean it all away.”
<sila> “Of course. I’m going to go find Anna before she misses out altogether, too.”
^ Sila gets up and finds her brother racing ahead of her
<sila> Sam: “Hey Anna…”
<sila> ^Sam knocks on the right door
<llewelyn> “You should’ve expected that one, Sila…”
<sila> “Heh, yep, really should’ve.”
^ Sila stretches
<~brock> ((One person roll luck, only one, versus intermediate.))
^ Havrasti tackle hugs Sila from behind as she stretches
<ellie> I has 5 luck. Anyone match that?
<sila> “Well, I’m going to do /something/ else anyway, if I stay here I’ll be tempted into – aiekheehehe!”
<havrasti> (I’ve 5 myself)
<ellie> (Go ahead, then)
<ellie> ((I think I did it last time))
<havrasti> !5d6 : Luck
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Luck”: (5+4+2+2+3) = 16.
<~brock> !4d6: versus
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “versus”: (5+2+3+4) = 14.
<havrasti> (I’ve got an extra 2))
<~brock> ((Aw, no random pirate encounters. :( ))
<havrasti> ((Awww))
<ellie> ((Not Awww :-p ))
<sila> ((hehe, did you just lose-by-winning? :P ))
<ellie> ((Though that was his solution to my asking whether we were going to do a time-skip to where were doing something.))
<~brock> ((Yes he did.))
<ellie> ((:-p ))
<havrasti> ((yes, :‘( ))
<ellie> ((No, he did not. Pirate encounter would not have been a win. :-p ))
<sila> "Ahem. As I was saying, I don’t /really/ want more bacon, I just think I do because I can see it. I’m going up on deck, or maybe for a flight or something."
<havrasti> ((says the non-dragon))
<havrasti> “A flight sounds good, I think I’ll join you.”
<ellie> ((Yes. Yes, indeed, I am.))
<sila> ((bloodthirsty wretch :P ))
<havrasti> ((oh well, since no pirates to encounter, anything else that’s encountered while flying, or on the ship, before we reach port?))
^ Ellie looks to Llewelyn. “So, what’s the latest book you’ve been reading? I think I’m about half-way through my second reading of Dr. Price’s, now. I’ve read both of them once, working on my second time…”
<llewelyn> “Oh, I’ve been reading this book by one of Alamanche’s political philosophers – I thought it might be a good thing to read before touring Alamanche.”
<ellie> “Aaah. So, what’s it been saying, then?”
<llewelyn> “Well, it’s just a dialog of how he envisions the ideal political system ought to work, according to an intensely logical blah blah blah blah…”
^ Llewelyn continues for several minutes with a discussion of the book.
^ Ellie listens, figuring it actually is a good idea in preparation for their current job.
<~brock> Havrasti, in flight, can take a perception check versus standard.
^ Sila does go for a flight, circling over the ship and seeing what there is to see, and stretching her aching wings after yesterday’s long flight
<~brock> !3d6: perception versus
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “perception versus”: (6+6+6) = 18.
<havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (4+6+4+5+3) = 22.
<havrasti> (evil, Brock :P ))
<~brock> ((I will spend two super-secret GM dice to force a re-roll on that.))
<sila> ((little haze on the water, I take it? Major fog bank, perhaps? :P ))
<~brock> !3d6: Sila can roll for perception, too
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “Sila can roll for perception, too”: (3+4+4) = 11.
<~brock> ((Sila?))
<sila> !6d6
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled 6d6: (4+6+1+4+6+1) = 22.
<~brock> Funny enough, there is a very thick fog-bank, but a few minutes after Havrasti takes off, the sun finally dissipates the fog. Havrasti and Sila therefore note a school of a very large sort of marine creature about a mile away from the ship.
^ Sila flies over to look, not too low, mostly thinking “I wonder what the local whales look like?”
^ Havrasti flies over them to get a closer look, and see if they’re dangerous or boring.
^ Havrasti looks closer to see if it’s a kind of local shark he recalls hearing about
<~brock> ((There are about thirty of them, yes.))
<havrasti> “Ah, it’s a kind of shark, Sila. I hear they’re good eating.”
<ellie> ((So, do Llew and Ellie take their literary discussion up on deck? And does the ambassador join them after breakfast, or does he head off to hermit himself in his cabin (like Ellie would :-p ;-) )?))
^ Llewelyn does get into an avid literary discussion.
<~brock> Ambassador Crouch develops a case of Teleportlag and sleeps it off in his cabin.
<sila> “Non-sapient, right? Shall we try and surprise the cook?”
<~brock> ((Right. They’re basically a cross between very large fish and shark.))
<havrasti> “Sounds like a good idea.”
^ Havrasti swoops down and has fun sharking
^ Sila tries to catch a large fish-thing in her claws…
<sila> ((but is it a speed test or a strength test?))
<~brock> Havrasti: dexterity check versus standard to catch a shark in the claws: then a strength check versus intermediate to get the wiggling thing out of the water and into the air.
<~brock> ((Same for Sila.))
<~brock> !3d6: dex check for Havrasti to grab a sharkfish.
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “dex check for Havrasti to grab a sharkfish.”: (4+4+5) = 13.
<havrasti> !4d6; 1d6 : Dex + Being a dragon
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Dex + Being a dragon”: (5+4+4+4);(3) = 17.
<havrasti> !6d6; 1d6 : Str + Being a dragon
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Being a dragon”: (6+1+1+4+4+1);(4) = 17.
<sila> !4d6: dex to catch a fish
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “dex to catch a fish”: (4+5+3+3) = 15.
<~brock> Havrasti learns that sharkfish are surprisingly fast and agile, and barely grabs a fifteen-foot young sharkfish.
<~brock> !4d6: strength check for Havra
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “strength check for Havra”: (3+3+3+4) = 13.
<~brock> …but the sharkfish proves surprisingly light, partly due to its younger age and smaller size.
<~brock> !3d6: dex check for Sila
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “dex check for Sila”: (4+1+4) = 9.
<~brock> Sila also grabs a sharkfish in her claws.
<sila> !2d6
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled 2d6: (2+4) = 6.
<havrasti> “Gotcha! You shall make good eating.”
<~brock> !4d6: strength check for Sila to get it into the air
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “strength check for Sila to get it into the air”: (2+6+6+4) = 18.
<sila> “I got one! I got one! …eurg…”
<sila> “Aw, I don’t got one…”
<~brock> That was a big one – and thus much heavier, and Sila can’t quite get it out of the water.
^ Sila is muchly splashed by an escaping sharkfish
<~brock> Three other adult sharkfish, ignoring the dragons overhead, attack the wounded sharkfish that Sila tried to catch. After a few moments of thrashing, there’s not much left of it…
<sila> “Somehow I expected it to be harder to catch and easier to lift.”
^ Sila looks for a smaller specimen
<~brock> ((Perception versus intermediate – there are many sharkfish, but where’s a smaller one?))
<~brock> !4d6: perception versus intermediate
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “perception versus intermediate”: (2+2+3+1) = 8.
<sila> !6d6
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled 6d6: (4+6+3+5+4+1) = 23.
^ Havrasti is flying back to the ship to drop off his catch… it came with that big bloody gash in its neck, honest. (burp)
<~brock> THERE’s a smaller sharkfish…
<~brock> !3d6: standard for Sila to grab it
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “standard for Sila to grab it”: (2+2+1) = 5.
^ Sila tries again
<sila> !4d6: to catch
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “to catch”: (6+5+4+5) = 20.
<~brock> !4d6: intermediate for Sila to lift it
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “intermediate for Sila to lift it”: (2+2+5+4) = 13.
<sila> !2d6: but can she get it up?
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “but can she get it up?”: (5+6) = 11.
<~brock> Sila grabs a juvenile sharkfish and gets airborne with it, despite gratuitous wiggling.
<sila> “Woo HOO! Take that, fish! I AM the huntress, RAWR!”
^ Sila is entirely too proud of herself :P
<ellie> Back aboard the ship “Um… that sounds… happy?”
<~brock> The crew on the ship applauds Sila and Havrasti as they catch the sharkfish.
^ Sila flies her prey back to the ship, conveniently eating the head off before Ellie can see its eyes and decide they look sad or something
<~brock> Sharkfish actually have beady little eyes, filled with a dark and fishy evil.
<ellie> Hehehe. Fear Ellie, the freer of dinner! ;-)
^ Sila whisperes to Havrasti “…and I got my fresh brains for the day, too.”
<havrasti> “So you did.”
<sila> “Mom! Check it out, I caught a fish right out of the water!”
<sila> Maia: “My goodness, it’s big enough for a full meal, too.”
<sila> Sam: “Aw, did I miss something fun?”
<havrasti> “There’s plenty more out there, Sam.”
<~brock> Anna has come out to watch the show with Sam.
<havrasti> “A great big school of sharkfish.”
<~brock> Anna: “Shall we, Sam?”
^ Ellie applauds the hunters upon their return. An absolutely excellent literary discussion is interrupted for this purpose.
<ellie> ;-)
^ Llewelyn doesn’t mind.
<sila> Sam: “Absolutely. I’m not afraid of water, anyway.”
<ellie> ((We hope you two appreciate the sacrifice. ;-) ))
<sila> ^Sam may be feeling the slightest bit nervous about failing to stack up to his sister, in front of his hopefully-soon-official-girlfriend
<~brock> Anna gives Ellie custody of her coin in order to transform into a dragon, and takes off.
^ Ellie guards the coin.
^ Sila slices off a bit of something from her fish
^ Havrasti proceeds to flop on the deck in a place the crew have no doubt prepared for the dragons to be at least not too much in the way of their work
<sila> “Here, Ellie, you can feed Cinnamon something that doesn’t make you feel guilty for lunch.”
<ellie> Cinnamon doesn’t wait for Ellie to reach for said slice of fish. He bounces across the deck toward where Sila is dangling it and paws at it enthusiastically.
<sila> “Hehe. Here you go, little guy.”
^ Sila lets him snag it
<ellie> (Incidentally, Sila thus prevented Cinnamon from pouncing her fish once it hit the deck and claiming credit for the kill himself. ;-) Also, she earned eternal kitten gratitude.)
<~brock> Anna circles over the sharkfish school, picking out a target. (Perception versus intermediate to spot a smaller one – more so than Sila, she doesn’t expect to grab a truly large one successfully.)
<~brock> !4d6: perception for Anna
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “perception for Anna”: (6+2+5+6) = 19.
<ellie> Cinnamon tears into the fresh fish meat with incredible kitten gusto.
^ Ellie smiles. “Heh, thanks, Sila.”
<~brock> !4d6: versus for Anna
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “versus for Anna”: (1+6+3+2) = 12.
<~brock> ((actually, Anna’s perception is 5, I just mis-rolled.))
<sila> ^Sam wants to get a bigger one than Sila, because he’s the dragonly male hunter-provider and it would be embarassing otherwise :P
<sila> ((plus, sibling rivalry ;) ))
<~brock> Anna spots a ten-foot sharkfish that’s picking through the remains of the larger now-dead sharkfish.
<~brock> !3d6: Anna attacks
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “Anna attacks”: (1+3+1) = 5.
<~brock> !3d6: versus roll
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (6+1+6) = 13.
<~brock> Anna misses in her initial attack, since she’s a little too preoccupied with not running into the ocean.
<sila> !6d6: Sam attacks
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “Sam attacks”: (1+1+6+6+5+4) = 23.
<~brock> Anna circles around to watch Sam.
<~brock> !3d6: the big fish evades?
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “the big fish evades?”: (5+5+6) = 16.
<sila> !4d6: and lift-off again?
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “and lift-off again?”: (1+1+4+2) = 8.
<~brock> Sam picked out a large and very wily fish – but it was not wily and agile enough.
<~brock> !4d6: versus
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “versus”: (4+3+3+6) = 16.
<sila> ((sam uses his red :P ))
<sila> !4d6: and lift-off again?
<~brock> ((Okay.))
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “and lift-off again?”: (3+5+4+1) = 13.
<~brock> ((Not quite…))
<~brock> ((Use Sam’s Blue?))
<~brock> ((Or Anna can help…))
<sila> ^Sam makes two tries to get the fish out of the water and doesn’t make it, but he’s not letting go yet…
<sila> ((yeah, using the blue))
<sila> !2d6: keeping 5 and forced to keep 1
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “keeping 5 and forced to keep 1”: (6+2) = 8.
<~brock> That sharkfish was a LOT heavier and squirmier than Sam expected, but he manages to get the twenty-two footer into the air…
<sila> ^Sam growls, then takes a deep breath and drives the fish deeper instead. Then, when bouyancy pops him back up to the surface, he takes advantage of the momentum to boost that critical leap out of the water
<ellie> ((…out of sheer determination to impress a girl…))
<sila> ((pretty much :P ))
<~brock> Anna roars “Bravo, bravo!”
<havrasti> ((impress a girl and do better than a rival))
<~brock> Anna is sufficiently impressed.
<sila> Sam: “Yeah! No fish gets the better of me!”
<sila> ^Sam has some hard flying getting the huge fish back to the ship, considering he’s even smaller than Sila, but as far as he’s concerned it’s SO worth it – ‘cause the girl he like complimented his hunting :D
<sila> ((likes))
<~brock> Anna takes another run on the small sharkfish she attacked earlier, before hunting season ends.
<~brock> !3d6: Anna’s attack
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “Anna’s attack”: (6+2+6) = 14.
<~brock> ((Crit, but Anna’s got all coin slots full.))
<~brock> !3d6: versus
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “versus”: (5+2+1) = 8.
<sila> ^Sam flies a slightly non-straight line, looking back over his shoulder at Anna’s run
<~brock> !4d6: Anna versus the fish
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “Anna versus the fish”: (3+3+6+3) = 15.
<~brock> !3d6: strength
<karmabot> [Brock] rolled “strength”: (4+6+4) = 14.
<~brock> Anna’s choice of the smaller sharkfish was good – because she wouldn’t have managed to lift anything larger than a ten-foot sharkfish.
<sila> “Wow, you caught the grand-daddy, Sam.”
<sila> Sam: “Yeah, I’m good. Mover over so Anna can set down…Good catch Anna! Bet you’ve never been fishing like that before!”
<sila> Sila: “Sam, /you/ have never been fishing like that before.”
<~brock> Anna lands a moment behind Sam. “Look at the size of that thing! How did you manage to lift it? Mine’s half as large as yours and I barely got it out of the water…”
<sila> Sam: “I used Physics! Gotta outsmart the fish!”
<ellie> ((How? Sheer manly need to impress, that’s how! Oh wait, did I just say that out loud…?))
<sila> ((LOL))
^ Havrasti opens an eye, “That’s a large fish, Sam.”
<~brock> Anna contributes her fish to feeding the crew with sharkfish fin soup.
<sila> Sam: “Yeah, that was fun. It’s nice to be in a place I can hunt prey the right size for me again – hasn’t happened since we were small enough to hunt in the garden.”
<~brock> Anna: “It was fun. We’ll need to do this again.”
<~brock> ((And I think we’ll end here for the day – Wayf and I need to get some dinner before we Skype with family.))
<sila> ((OK – diplomacy next week, then? ))
<~brock> ((Sure.))
<~brock> == END LOG ==
<dragonhawk> and for a bonus, Ellie had Llewelyn all to herself for a while, even if they did get interrupted by the return ;)
<wayfarer> Ellie: I had an excellent discussion of books, yes…
<wayfarer> :-p
<wayfarer> A good literary discussion is a rare thing, after all… ;-)
<wayfarer> ((Well, it is. :-p ))

Log 033

Red King's Command Wayfarer