Log 032

<~rkcgm> == START LOG ==
<~rkcgm> Last time, on Red King’s Command, you departed the island of Ros to rendezvous with your ship. Accompanying you is your new translator / freedwoman Eudocia, who Sila’s mother is undoubtedly going to be THRILLED to see.
^ Sila is so used to dealing with the Scary Scary Elves by now that she has totally forgotten to be properly antogonistic to a young giantess. Becuase really, if elves can be nice people, why not anybody else?
^ Llewelyn flies his air dragon golem toward the rendezvous.
^ Sila still wants to do sciency stuff with the liquid nitrogen when we’re done using it as a mount :P
^ Ellie rides along with Llewelyn, grateful for the rest, but also thinking to herself that she really needs to build up more flying stamina…
<ellie> After all, it’s kinda embarrassing to wear out half-way through the trip…
^ Llewelyn quietly hopes his spellwork doesn’t evaporate halfway through the trip.
^ Ellie just hopes her embarrassment isn’t noticeable… and tries to distract herself from it by watching the interesting scenery below.
^ Havrasti flies gracefully though the air, only doing fancy maneuvers occasionally, as they have a long way to go
^ Sila flies steadily, trying not to let on how out-of-shape she actually is for long flights
^ Ellie begins quietly, absent-mindedly humming a tune as she watches things below.
<llewelyn> “What are you humming?”
<ellie> “What? Oh- heh. Didn’t realize I was. Nothing really. Just kinda making it up. Sorry.” Ellie blushes, and when she looks back down to the ground, she stops humming.
<sila> “Well…” huff, puff “…sing something real then!”
<llewelyn> “Aw, I liked the tune.”
<ellie> “…Um.” Ellie is flustered for a moment. “Something real, Sila? Like what? Don’t, um… don’t have any ideas…”
<sila> “Favorite songs? Hymns? Campfire tunes?” puff, puff, “Some of us are too exerted to talk properly, but we don’t have to fly in silence.”
<ellie> “I… um, hm… I don’t just… usually sing alone. To other people, I mean. To myself, sure, but….” She hesitates, then asks, “Hey, Llewelyn, do you… maybe have your harp along with you?”
<llewelyn> “My small one. The sound won’t carry far unless I amplify it with magic, though.”
<ellie> “Aaaah, hmmm. Well… I don’t know that my voice will carry all that far, either.” She thinks to herself, /Even if it did carry farther than I intended already…/
<havrasti> “We have good hearing”
<ellie> “Aah, well… if Llewelyn plays something, I’ll try singing along to that. If it’s a song I know. I don’t… I really don’t want to just sing by myself.”
^ Llewelyn pulls out a sort of baby harp from his bag.
<ellie> “So, um… what songs might we both know?”
<ellie> “Do you know… ‘In Christ Alone’?”
<llewelyn> “Hmm, well… I’ve been experimenting with one you should know..”
^ Llewelyn starts playing ‘Pilgrims to the City of God’.
^ Ellie gets a sudden grin on her face as she recognizes the melody. She lets Llewelyn play a few bars of introduction, then starts in with the words.
^ Llewelyn also sings.
^ Havrasti wing-beats to the music
^ Ellie very much enjoys watching the land they’re flying over, thinking through the words as she sings.
^ Sila falls into rythm too, occasionally taking up snatches of a tenor line when she’s got the breath for it
<~rkcgm> ((Everyone roll perception against difficult.))
<~rkcgm> !5d6
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled 5d6: (3+3+2+6+6) = 20.
<havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (5+3+6+6+1) = 21.
<sila> !6d6
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled 6d6: (4+4+3+5+3+6) = 25.
<ellie> !6d6: Is Ellie paying attention?
<karmabot> [Ellie] rolled “Is Ellie paying attention?”: (1+6+1+6+6+2) = 22.
<ellie> ((Wow. Apparently she really, really is.))
<llewelyn> !5d6: perception
<karmabot> [Llewelyn] rolled “perception”: (3+6+5+1+1) = 16.
<havrasti> ((looks like both me and Ellie get it, but alas, too many 1s for a crit))
<ellie> ((Yes.))
<~rkcgm> Ellie and Havrasti both spot, on the cloudy southwestern horizon, a dragon doing cartwheeling turns.
<havrasti> “Oh look, someone is over there.”
<havrasti> “Oh look, someone is over there.”
<sila> “’s not (puff) your brother already (puff) is it?”
<ellie> “Whoever it is seems to be having an awfully lot of fun… and… heading south? Maybe…”
<ellie> ((Can we see color from here? Is it the right color for Havra’s brother?"
<ellie> ))
<~rkcgm> ((Can see color with another difficult perception check.))
<havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (3+5+2+3+2) = 15.
<~rkcgm> !5d6
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled 5d6: (3+4+6+3+3) = 19.
<havrasti> “I can’t tell from this distance. Shall we fly over and find out?”
<ellie> !6d6: Perception
<karmabot> [Ellie] rolled “Perception”: (1+1+5+6+4+1) = 18.
<~rkcgm> Ellie perceives that the dragon is light blue.
<ellie> “Whoever it is, they’re light blue.”
<ellie> “So definitely not Sivroh, at least.”
^ Havrasti banks over to flyby the other dragon
^ Ellie watches, a little concerned about whether we can afford a delay, but obviously in control of nothing about her current transportation, so…
^ Havrasti is not going straight for the other dragon, merely flying closer but heading in the same general direction they were going
^ Havrasti roars out a greeting when he gets closer, presuming the other dragon doesn’t do so (or otherwise act oddly)
<havrasti> (effectively “Hi fellow flyer that I am passing by.”)
<ellie> With the current distraction, Ellie forgets that she’d been about to tell Llewelyn how good his harp arrangement of the song sounded. Aaah, well, these things do happen. Maybe she’ll remember later. ;-)
<~rkcgm> The other dragon comes around a cloud, and it turns out to be Anna.
<havrasti> ((Aha!))
^ Ellie waves when she recognizes Anna.
<havrasti> Roars “Hello Anna!”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Hello Havrasti! Hello all!”
^ Sila roars a greeting too – air code, not English, ‘cuase she’s really starting to get winded
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Glad to see you all! We expected to see you this morning.”
^ Sila looks around for Sam
^ Ellie refrains from joining the conversation, as she doesn’t feel like yelling.
<~rkcgm> Sila, roll perception versus difficult.
<sila> !6d6: Where’s my brother?
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “Where’s my brother?”: (5+3+2+1+5+4) = 20.
<~rkcgm> !5d6: Where is Sam?
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Where is Sam?”: (4+1+6+4+5) = 20.
<sila> (bah)
<sila> (might the party donate a red?)
<~rkcgm> Sam dive-bombs out of a cloud and tail-tags Sila. “Hey Sis!”
<sila> “Gah! Ah – Hi, Sam! I was just wondering where you were hiding.”
<havrasti> (failed perception leads to sneak attack!)
<sila> ((hehe))
<sila> (puff) “We have got to…” (puff) “…do this more, I…” (puff) “…feel like a fat guy trying to walk a marathon.”
<havrasti> “There should be plenty of opportunity for that on this trip.”
<havrasti> “Where’s the ship?”
<sila> “One of the best parts…” (puff) “…hopefully it’ll get me back in shape.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “A bit southwest. We’re just exercising as well.”
<havrasti> “Well we are most definitely ready to go there, been flying all day.”
<ellie> “Well, not quite all day. But it kinda feels like it. Definitely long enough that I couldn’t make it all the way.”
^ Llewelyn aims his cloud dragon toward the direction of the ship.
^ Havrasti switches to a glide
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Sila, draft behind me – your mom tells me it really works well.”
<sila> “It does – Sam and I used to practice when we were smaller.”
<sila> “I just haven’t…” (puff) “…been flying much since…” (puff) “…I got big enough to be mistaken for…” (puff) “…something dangerous.”
^ Sila thinks for a beat
<sila> “Well…” (puff) “…for something /else/ dangerous. Heh.”
^ Sila falls in gratefully with Anna’s draft
^ Ellie watches for the ship as they head downward.
<~rkcgm> !6d6: Anna does a wee bit of magic to a sort of bracelet she’s wearing. (Versus difficult.)
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna does a wee bit of magic to a sort of bracelet she’s wearing. (Versus difficult.)”: (4+6+4+5+4+3) = 26.
<~rkcgm> !5d6: versus
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (4+4+5+6+4) = 23.
<~rkcgm> ((Barely successful.))
<~rkcgm> Sila discovers its suddenly just a little bit easier than normal to take advantage of Anna’s draft, and she’s doing it a lot better than a dragon of her size would normally be able to do.
<sila> “Wha-?”
<~rkcgm> Anna calls back over her shoulder. “Is that helpful to you?”
<sila> “Yeah…Anna, did you invent…a draft-optimizer??”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “It makes my aerial cross-section like a larger dragon. At least that’s what I tried to do.”
<sila> “Yeah…yeah, I’d say it’s working beautifully.”
<sila> “Does it make it harder for your to fly, too, or does it just center on your position?”
<havrasti> “Oh, you two, we didn’t find my parents, but we did find my brother and his new mate, and evidence of my parents heading to Alamachy. Which my brother and his mate are also headed to.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “A little harder, but I need the training, and we’re not that far.”
^ Sila gives Anna a small air-code roar, the one that means “acknowledged/affirmative”
<sila> “Our plan for next steps on Havrasti’s parents is to search Alamanch-ish libraries. Is that the right adjective? Alamancher? Alamanchesque?”
<havrasti> “Or just ask among the dragons, now.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Alamanchois!” (You can tell her breathing has started to pick up a bit.)
<sila> “Right, Alamanchois libraries. I can’t wait!”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Alamanche has the best libraries! Of course, I might be biased because my parents are from Alamanche.”
<sila> “That’s what everyone else has been telling me too, so I guess even if you’re biased you’re not all wrong!”
<havrasti> “My father would generally agree with you, and he was not from Alamnche.”
<havrasti> “Though I wonder what he’ll think of the internet when we tell him about that.”
<sila> “Probably that it needs a curator, heh”
<llewelyn> “Probably what I thought of the internet when I discovered it.”
<llewelyn> “The greatest informational treasure-trove known to man and it’s used for Flash games where polar bears smack penguins? Bah!”
<sila> “It’s not a treasure-house, it’s a treasure-delivery-system. Still have a point, though.”
<ellie> “It’s also used as a platform for every paranoid, delusional conspiracy theory under the sun. It’s an excellent tool, capable of exactly the same misuse as every other excellent tool.”
<ellie> “However, it does have lots of kitten pictures. That has to be a redeeming quality.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia shouts from up top: “What’s this internet that’s a treasure-delivery system?”
^ Ellie facepalms.
<~rkcgm> Anna: “What the… Llew, you’ve got a Noroth up there!”
<~rkcgm> ((At this point, you see the ship.))
<sila> “It’s a tool for spreading information, Eudocia. Some of it’s good, some of it’s bad, some of it’s ugly, and some of it is entertaining (which, come to think of it, also comes in good bad and ugly).”
<ellie> “She was a slave to a bunch of goblins when we ran across her. We kinda had to help,” Ellie explains.
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Uh… okay.”
<sila> Sam: “She…seems to be a giantess?”
<~rkcgm> Anna is puffing a bit harder, and steers toward the ship.
<sila> “Yeah, go figure. Apparently someone was selling all the local giants into slavery at one point, and she got caught in the politics.”
<sila> Sam: “Um. Have you thought about how you’re going to introduce her to mom?”
<sila> “No? …uh. Maybe I should think on that a little…”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Think quick, we’re kinda preparing to land!”
^ Ellie looks a little perturbed at the big deal over Eudocia. Probably because she remembers when it was a big deal over her elvenness…
<ellie> She may even be perturbed enough to say something if it becomes too much of an issue. gasp :-p
^ Havrasti didn’t think it’d be that much of an issue, not like the whole elven issue
^ Havrasti lands on the ship, and rests himself on the deck
^ Sila lands gratefully, and flops theatrically on the deck off to one side a bit
^ Llewelyn lands his cloud dragon golem on the deck, setting himself and Ellie down lightly.
<sila> “Aaahhhhhh.”
<~rkcgm> Anna deactivates her bracelet and puffs for breath.
^ Ellie stands a bit aside from the cloud dragon, but doesn’t stray too far off from Eudocia.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia tumbles to the deck and looks around in wonder at the GIANT SHIP.
^ Sila stretches and sits back up, then puts her bracelet on
^ MaiaLeto comes up on deck at the sound of many landings taking place above
<havrasti> “Welcome to an Earth ship, Eudocia.”
<sila> “Hi mom! We’re back! My wings are so sore, I don’t even have them anymore and they’re still sore.”
^ Sila stretches her back again
<~rkcgm> Eudocia is clearly about two feet taller than Llewelyn and dressed like a local.
<maialeto> “Tsk. I told you to keep up your exercises while you were at university, and did you listen?”
^ MaiaLeto shakes her head and looks around…and instead of “my daughter’s future inlaws” sees “person too big to be human”
^ MaiaLeto gasps
<maialeto> “…Noroth!”
<havrasti> “That is what she is, yes.”
^ MaiaLeto ducks back into the companionway
<havrasti> “Also our new translator.”
^ Llewelyn opens his mouth to say something, is interrupted.
^ Ellie steps a little closer to Eudocia.
<ellie> She also watches Eudocia’s reaction to this reception.
<sila> “…mo-om, don’t embarrass us!”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia is looking around, sees Mrs. Leto run away.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia appears confused.
<maialeto> (hissing a little) “Sila are you mad, that’s an Esserean giantess!”
^ Ellie sighs.
<havrasti> “I thought it was elves you were scared of?”
<sila> “Mom, she’s a recently emancipated slave. If she didn’t slaughter the goblins in their sleep, we’re probably safe.”
<maialeto> “Who do you think taugth the elves to honor dragon slayers?!?”
<ellie> At this, Ellie looks a little more resolved.
<ellie> “Mrs. Leto…” she hesitates. “You… weren’t too happy about meeting a couple of elves, once, either. Has that turned out so very badly for you?” Ellie keeps her tone gentle, but she does look at her a little reproachfully
<~rkcgm> Anna dons her bracelet and becomes a very short human again.
<sila> “Um…many years worth of bereaved family members in the boundary territories? Come on mom, I know it’s traditional -didn’t you tell me that yourself? But seriously. If elves aren’t the boogeyman, and the people that chased you out of Esserea in the first place were actually elves, then why can’t certain giants also be not-the-boogeyman.”
^ MaiaLeto peers furtively around the corner at Eudocia…
<ellie> “She needed our help. And she has already helped us in return.”
<maialeto> “…I’m too old for this kind of madness…”
<sila> “So we borrowed you enough time to see one more amazing wonder, eh?”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia bows at Maia and tries to smile politely.
<maialeto> “…”
^ MaiaLeto comes out from the stairwell and bows back (not as deeply)
<sila> “Translator. Know me Maia Leto-wife.”
<sila> (…not Sila)
<maialeto> “Translator. Know me Maia Leto-wife.”
^ MaiaLeto is stiffly formal
<sila> “That’s better. Mom, this is Eudocia.”
<sila> “Eudocia, my mother.”
^ Ellie is a little disappointed at the stiffness, but says nothing. At least it’s not fear or accusation.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia makes a courtesy and speaks in now-nearly-flawless English. “I am Eudocia the Freedwoman. It is a pleasure to meet you, Maia Leto-Wife.”
<maialeto> “Thank you. …If you need me, I’ll be below decks, trying to learn new tricks.”
^ MaiaLeto walks quickly back below, in a manner which is /certainly/ not to be misconstrued as fleeing
<llewelyn> “Well, that could have gone worse. But it could have gone better.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “I don’t understand…”
<ellie> “Her family has had… some hard experiences at the hands of other races.”
<samleto> “Mom is used to Noroth being all anti-dragon. Not that she’s seen a Noroth this millenium, you understand.”
<sila> “She was used to elves being anti-dragon too, though, and you see she’s getting along fine with Llewelyn and Ellie and people now.”
<havrasti> “Last she saw them, and elves in quantitiy, was what, two and a half thousand years ago?”
<sila> “Give her a few days, she’ll loosen up and stop hiding behind corners.”
<samleto> “One and a half, Havra, she didn’t come over /before/ Christ.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “You mean she’s AFRAID of me?”
<sila> “Paranoid would be a better word, but yeah.”
<havrasti> “…right.”
<havrasti> “Got my math mixed up.”
<ellie> “Yeah. I wouldn’t suggest giving her the idea that occurred to you, either.” Ellie half-grins… but is entirely serious. :-p
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “I don’t understand… I suppose I could hurt people smaller than me, but if she’s a dragon, there is no possible way I could hurt her…”
<ellie> “And what do you think I could do to her? She had the same reaction toward me when we first met.”
<sila> “How about phobia, do you know the word phobia?”
<ellie> Ellie’s voice isn’t bitter. But wry. Definitely wry.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “Oh, I know the word phobia. I didn’t realize your language uses it too.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia looks at Ellie: “But you’re a mage, too.”
^ Ellie shrugs. “Not much of one. Especially not at the time.”
<sila> “So is mom. A better one, no offense to Ellie.”
<~rkcgm> Anna taps Sila’s shoulder. “Don’t suppose you noticed she’s too tall for the doors aboard this ship, right?”
<sila> “Uh…”
<sila> “Well, I didn’t think about it, but…it’s still gotta beat a goblin cave.”
<sila> “Got anything for shrinking sophonts?”
<~rkcgm> Anna looks up (way up) at Eudocia. “I think I can work something up. Like one of my coins, maybe, just tailored to her.”
<sila> “She’ll be overwhelmed. Takes magic as a big deal, does Eudocia.”
<havrasti> “Hey, if a dragon can be made to look human, I don’t see why a Norath can’t.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “…I must admit, I wouldn’t object to having to bend over every time I’m inside.”
<sila> ( ^not ?)
<~rkcgm> ((Not, rather.))
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Right… um, let’s see… let me go grab stuff to make awesome things!”
<~rkcgm> Anna scampers off to get Stuff. She might have grabbed Sam’s hand and dragged him with her.
<sila> Sam: “Ooh, are we making stuff today?”
<sila> ^Sam follows willingly
<ellie> “Well, stuff to make Eudocia smaller, at least.” Ellie finds someplace on deck near the conversation to sit down.
<havrasti> “Hmm, perhaps we should inform the captain about our new guest?”
<llewelyn> “I’ll go do that while Anna and Sam are collecting information.”
^ Llewelyn knows Captain Magaron and has a pretty decent grasp of how to approach the situation.
<havrasti> ((“Hey dwarf, there’s a giant joining us.”))
<havrasti> ((that’s probably not what he’ll say :P ;) ))
^ Ellie remains seated and watches whatever ends up going on near her. She swings her legs a bit. She is very quietly humming “Pilgrims to the City of God” now.
<ellie> She deliberately hums quietly enough to hope she’s not overheard. :-p
<~rkcgm> ((Hey Maggie, I know you’ll punch me for this, but if you do, I’ll make your beard three feet long and flaming pink. We liberated a giantess slave and she’s on your boat!))
<~rkcgm> ((Magaron: Don’t call me Maggie and don’t you touch my beard! A giantess? Eh, whatever, just make sure she doesn’t cause any more trouble than you do.))
^ Llewelyn returns a few minutes later. “All smoothed over with Mags.”
<havrasti> “That’s good.”
^ Llewelyn explains to Eudocia. “The captain has a bit of a short fuse for surprises, so I wanted to offer him a little warning. But don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll look up to you as a friend in no time.”
^ Ellie rolls her eyes. Subtly.
^ Havrasti can practically feel Ellie’s eyes roll at Llewelyn’
<~rkcgm> Eudocia nods, not getting the puns.
<havrasti> s pun
^ Ellie looks pointedly out over the ocean. Pun? I do not deign to further notice any pun here.
<sila> “The captain is a dwarf, just so you know, Eudocia.”
^ Llewelyn lets it go without a comment or even a smile. He starts humming “Pilgrims to the City of God” as they wait.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “Oh really?”
<sila> !6d6: notice two people humming the same song, out of synch…
<karmabot> [Sila] rolled “notice two people humming the same song, out of synch…”: (1+6+4+6+4+4) = 25.
<ellie> ((Don’t assume it was out of sync))
<sila> ((since at least one is being deliberately quiet…))
<llewelyn> ((I presumed Ellie had stopped.))
<ellie> ((Didn’t say she had, but I was kinda imagining so, yes.))
<sila> (Aww, missed my chance then :P ))
<ellie> ((Honestly, as soon as Llewelyn started humming, Ellie would either have synced hers, or stopped. And the latter is more likely.))
<~rkcgm> Anna and Sam come back, each with a case full of magical equipment.
<samleto> “Makin’ with the magic, the magic, the magic, makin’ all the magic, stuff for everyone…” ((tune of ‘following the leader’ ))
<~rkcgm> Anna: “I have stuff to make awesome things!”
<llewelyn> “Would you like a bit of help?”
^ Havrasti ‘s tail gets kicked out of the way of the space they need to work
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Sam and I can handle it… well, can you hold my coffee? Thanks…”
<samleto> “I totally have dibs on helping!”
^ Sila snerks
^ Llewelyn holds Anna’s coffee and sits down again next to Ellie.
^ Ellie doesn’t blush a little at this. Nooooo, not at all. Quite a fresh breeze we have going on the deck here, really. She does notice a seagull’s facinatingly graceful swoop out over the ocean, though. Really quite gorgeous… ;-)
<havrasti> !5d6 : Perception to hear Ellie’s heart beat
<karmabot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception to hear Ellie’s heart beat”: (6+4+3+2+4) = 19.
<~rkcgm> Anna sets out a half-dozen glasses she pillaged from the ship’s mess, and has Sam arrange them in the necessary pattern.
<havrasti> (( :P ;) ))
<~rkcgm> !5d6: difficulty roll to hear that Ellie’s heartbeat hasn’t actually changed that much
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty roll to hear that Ellie’s heartbeat hasn’t actually changed that much”: (1+2+5+2+6) = 16.
<ellie> The surf here is really sounding against the side of the ship. And there’s the sound of a nice breeze, and seagulls… :-p
<~rkcgm> Anna: "Okay, let’s see… now we need to fill the glasses with water… Eudocia, please stand in the middle.
<~rkcgm> "
^ SamLeto arranges glasses, considers his pattern, and tweaks it a bit…
^ SamLeto gets the water and starts adding measured amounts to each glass
^ Havrasti enjoys the remainder of the setting sun
<~rkcgm> Anna looks Way Up at Eudocia: “Okay! Here’s what we do. I am going to create a piece of magic bound to a physical item. So long as you have it close – within a few inches of you – you will fully appear to be human.”
^ Sila leans against Havrasti and watches the proceeding with interest
<~rkcgm> Anna: “What sort of item will you be able to carry on you at all times? A ring? A necklace? Your ears aren’t pierced, so not ear-rings…”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “I… don’t know? I’ve never had jewelry before.”
<sila> “Go for a ring, then. It’s harder to lose by accident.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Right! A ring it is, then.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Sam, put that metal lump in the north glass.”
<sila> “…something simple, that people won’t think they can take away just because she’s a freedwoman or something nasty like that.”
^ SamLeto adds metal to the north glass, as instructed
<~rkcgm> Anna: “So… er… Eudocia, there’s one more thing. If we’re changing your height and appearance, we might want to make you the same height as me – or Sila, or Ellie. That way we can loan you spare clothes and shoes for when we return to Earth… er, nice dress and all that, but it doesn’t fit our fashion.”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “So do you want to be short like me, or taller, like Sila or Ellie?”
^ Sila comments to Sam, “Hee, I think she just called me /tall/ hehe.”
<~rkcgm> ((Is Sila or Ellie taller? Do you have heights stated for either of them?))
^ Sila is 5’3"
<ellie> ((Ellie is 5’5))
^ Ellie watches the work in progress, then something occurs to her. "Oh! By the way, Llewelyn, I liked the harp you worked out for the song. It ends up having a very different feel with the different instrumentation, but it was really pretty.))
<llewelyn> “Thanks, Ellie.”
<havrasti> ((both quite a bit shorter than Havrasti’s human 6’2"))
<llewelyn> “I really liked the tune; but it’s hard to play with the harp. I had to add some improvisation…”
<ellie> “Heh. But then, improvisation is the fun part of music.” Ellie grins.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “Don’t make me too short. I think Mistress Ellie is about as short as I’m eager to be.”
<sila> “Aww. I’m not surprised, though, we’re /all/ short – even by the standards of humans, where we live.”
<havrasti> “I’m a little on the tall side.”
<havrasti> “When I’m in human form.”
<ellie> “I don’t think I’m that short. I’ve always thought of myself as fairly average, really.”
<ellie> “When I was young – like, seven or eight – I used to wish I was either much taller or much shorter, just because it seemed more interesting to be on one of the extremes. But I was always pretty much right in the middle…”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Then let’s get going. Sam, activate the circle!”
<~rkcgm> ((Int versus standard for Sam.))
<samleto> !6d6: let’s make some MAGIC
<karmabot> [SamLeto] rolled “let’s make some MAGIC”: (3+3+6+4+1+6) = 23.
<~rkcgm> !4d6: int versus standard
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “int versus standard”: (5+1+6+6) = 18.
<~rkcgm> ((Oh, piffle.))
<samleto> ((using my red coin))
<~rkcgm> ((For the record, Sam has a gold, red, and blue.))
<samleto> ((actually, my blue I think. gotta keep those 6s))
<~rkcgm> ((Anna has two greens.))
<samleto> ((want to donate instead then?))
<~rkcgm> ((Anna can donate a green – it’d be better.))
<samleto> !4d6: keeping 6,6
<karmabot> [SamLeto] rolled “keeping 6,6”: (6+3+2+3) = 14.
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Oh, Sam – that last glass, a hair to the left… perfect!”
<~rkcgm> ((So 666332 – Anna gets back a coin.))
<~rkcgm> ((Sam has full coins, as does the party – so he can’t benefit from a crit.))
<~rkcgm> !2d6: Anna gets back a coin
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna gets back a coin”: (2+5) = 7.
<~rkcgm> ((Red.))
<~rkcgm> Anna steps back a pace and casts an illusion. (Versus intermediate.)
<~rkcgm> !4d6: int versus intermediate
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “int versus intermediate”: (3+1+5+1) = 10.
<~rkcgm> !6d6: Anna can do this, usually
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna can do this, usually”: (1+5+5+2+1+2) = 16.
<~rkcgm> Anna takes a few moments to bring the illusion up right, but makes an illusion of Eudocia being shorter, Ellie-height.
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Sam. You remember about how I told you we need to envision the final product correctly before we enchant? This is it!”
<samleto> “OK, Got it. One translator, yay heigh.”
<~rkcgm> Anna tells Sam to do one or two adjustments to the energy patterns in the circle now that it’s up and running. (Int versus standard.)
<~rkcgm> !3d6: int versus standard
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “int versus standard”: (2+4+4) = 10.
<samleto> !6d6: adjustments
<karmabot> [SamLeto] rolled “adjustments”: (6+3+4+6+5+6) = 30.
<~rkcgm> ((Crit… irritatingly, he’s still full of coins. :P ))
<sila> ((this is where it’s actually good to use your own coins once in a while :P ))
<sila> ((Can he roll to try and get a better-than-blue and replace one?))
<~rkcgm> ((Hmm… okay, sure.))
<samleto> !2d6
<karmabot> [SamLeto] rolled 2d6: (1+3) = 4.
<~rkcgm> ((Blue. :P ))
<sila> ((well nevermind then :P ))
<~rkcgm> Sam very successfully manages the changes that need to be made. The glass with the metal piece in it begins glowing very brightly, with the light sparkling out like reflections toward the other glasses that Sam set out.
<~rkcgm> Anna: “…wow, nicely done, Sam!”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Okay. Now the hard part… Eudocia, hold still a second.”
^ SamLeto beams at Anna’s compliment
<~rkcgm> Anna does the magic to match the illusion so that it becomes a form. ((Versus extremely difficult.))
<~rkcgm> !6d6: versus
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (6+2+5+1+4+6) = 24.
<~rkcgm> !6d6: Anna’s int
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna’s int”: (2+1+6+6+6+3) = 24.
<~rkcgm> ((And crits, too.))
<~rkcgm> !2d6: Anna crits
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna crits”: (4+6) = 10.
<~rkcgm> ((Green.))
<~rkcgm> Anna grins. “Got it. Okay, now, Sam – we’re going to transform that lump of silver into a ring, and then permanently bind in the spell. You want to handle that last part, and I’ll rework the metal?”
<samleto> “If you want, sure.”
<~rkcgm> Anna gestures towards the glowing glass with the lump of metal in it. ((versus difficult.))
<samleto> “I can use the binding practice, certainly.”
<~rkcgm> !5d6: versus difficult
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus difficult”: (5+6+2+1+1) = 15.
<~rkcgm> !6d6: Anna’s int
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “Anna’s int”: (4+5+5+6+5+6) = 31.
<samleto> !6d6
<karmabot> [SamLeto] rolled 6d6: (3+4+1+3+6+5) = 22.
<~rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate for Sam’s binding
<karmabot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate for Sam’s binding”: (3+4+4+6) = 17.
<~rkcgm> The water in the glass fumes and steams like it’s got a chunk of dry ice in it; then the glow fades as the work completes.
<~rkcgm> Anna walks over to Sam and high-fives.
<samleto> “Woohoo! We’re awesome, and our job is awesome too!”
^ Ellie watches the process, impressed. She also watches Eudocia to see how she feels about it…
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “…I’m still the same height, though. I don’t understand…”
<sila> “You’re not wearing the ring yet.”
<sila> “Anyway, I’m still a dragon. Doesn’t keep me from fitting through doors though, eh?”
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Right. Reach into that glass there – you’ve got to be the first person to touch it to keep it working right.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia can’t fit her fingers into the glass, and instead pours it out into her hand. One plain silver ring comes out.
^ SamLeto comes over to see
<~rkcgm> She looks a bit hesitant about putting it on. “Are… you sure this is really mine?”
<samleto> “Nice. Classic, not too tempting for the greedy, goes with anything.”
<ellie> “Well, they didn’t have you stand in the middle of that circle so they could give it to someone else,” Ellie grins. “Go ahead, try it on.”
<sila> “Heh, it’s too late to give it to anyone else now anyway.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia fits it around her finger. For a moment, she blurs and suddenly she’s Ellie’s height.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “AAAh! That… felt weird!”
<sila> “Nice job, you two. She’s the right proportion for a human, but still looks like herself.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “I’m not freakishly huge any more… or rather, everything around me is not so small. I… still feel as tall as I did…”
<sila> “Freakishly huge? I thought you were pretty normal sized, for a Noroth.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “Yes, but the only other people of my kind that I ever knew were my parents…”
<samleto> “Ah, we know how that is. We were the only dragons we knew about in the whole world, growing up.”
<sila> “At least we had the jewels…”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia: “I know there are other giants out there, but… I guess I always just thought we were really abnormal people.”
<sila> “Oh, no no no /no/, that’s not the way to think of it at /all/ Eudocia.”
<~rkcgm> ((It is getting dark on the deck of the ship, by the way.))
<sila> "You aren’t /abnormal/ you’re /exceptional/ "
<samleto> “I’m exceptionally /hungry/ you guys. Let’s go see if dinner’s ready.”
<ellie> "I was beginning to wonder about that, myself, actually.
^ Havrasti opens an eyelid a crack, and sees the sun has sadly gone, alas. He yawns, stretches, gets up, and shifts in dark privacy somewhere.
<havrasti> ((dinner does sound good))
^ Sila saves a seat for him in the dining hall
<ellie> “You ready for dinner?” Ellie glances over at Llewelyn.
<llewelyn> “Absolutely. I smelled them cooking up lasagna when I went inside to talk to Captain Mags.”
<llewelyn> “One of my favorites.”
<ellie> “Aaah, sounds good.” Ellie stands. “I may not have flown the whole way today, but I still worked up an appetite.”
^ Llewelyn politely offers an arm. “Can I escort you to dinner, m’lady?”
^ Havrasti returns to the others, “Dinner talk? Count me in.”
<sila> “Come sit by me, dear!”
<sila> "…come sit by me, /darling/ "
^ Ellie looks a little surprised, but then grins playfully. “Why, thank you, sir.” She takes his arm and follows.
<havrasti> “Where else could I sit?”
<ellie> She doesn’t know quite what to think of the formal manners play, but she beats the question back with a stick so as to avoid getting flustered. :-p
<sila> “Depends on how ornery you’re feeling I guess. There are counters.” :P
<~rkcgm> Anna: “Sam and I will get this stuff cleaned up and then we’ll join you.”
<samleto> “We can’t eat until we clean, huh? Get ready to see speed-cleaning…”
^ SamLeto starts picking stuff up
^ SamLeto uses both hands And magic
<ellie> “So, practice-training for being all formally diplomatic, eh?” Ellie jokes to Llewelyn, with a slight nudge of the arm by which he’s escorting her.
<llewelyn> “Yup, that’s it.”
^ Llewelyn smiles and winks at Ellie.
^ Ellie takes that answer and bashes it over crush-Ellie’s head. And smiles back.
^ Havrasti comments to Sila “Nice thing about all that flying exercise? Didn’t get these humans forms all hot and sweaty.”
<sila> “True. My wings are going to be sore next time I have them out, though.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia joins you for dinner. You discover that you do need to train her in the use of silverware, though once that’s out of the way, she has very few other issues fitting in – she may have lived with goblins, but she’s not a complete slob at the table.
<~rkcgm> Eudocia’s only problem is that she doesn’t entirely understand “You aren’t required to clean the dishes after dinner.”
<sila> “Just count yourself lucky we don’t belong to a culture that uses chopsticks – now that’s hard to learn.”
<llewelyn> “It just requires a different mindset.”
<llewelyn> “I apparently don’t have it, though.”
<sila> “That and a lot more practice.”
<llewelyn> “The last time I needed to use chopsticks, I cheated and used magic to keep my soup stuck to them.”
<ellie> “…”
^ Ellie does not comment, and hopes he’s joking…
<sila> “Your…soup. Right.”
<havrasti> “That ought to have raised some eyebrows.”
<ellie> …Because no one – not even HER – can be that oblivious…
^ Havrasti is almost sure he isn’t joking
<llewelyn> “What?”
<ellie> “Please tell me you realize that chopsticks aren’t for soup…?”
^ Llewelyn pauses.
<llewelyn> “Then how was I supposed to eat it?”
<ellie> “Did they not provide a spoon? Might’ve been a little differently shaped, more like a small ladle, but… yeah, they don’t use chopsticks.”
<ellie> "
<ellie> “Rice, meat, vegetables – anything solid, yes. But… not soup.”
<~rkcgm> Eudocia thinks this “lasagna” is the most awesome food she’s ever had. And there’s so much of it!
<sila> “Maybe they expect you to drink it from the bowl? I dunno, I think there’s supposed to be a spoon for soup.”
<llewelyn> “There wasn’t. And everyone else used chopsticks to fish the noodles out.”
<sila> “Oh, well, the noodles. Sure.”
^ Ellie shrugs. “…Odd. But okay.”
<llewelyn> “I just couldn’t keep the noodles between the sticks.”
<sila> “Well I guess that’s practice again.”
<llewelyn> “Quite.”
<~rkcgm> Captain Magaron appears late to dinner.
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Sorry I’m late.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron sits down next to Eudocia; his head only goes to her shoulder.
<havrasti> “Evening, Captain.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Evening to you too.”
<sila> “Hello Captain. We saved you a few crumbs.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Dangit. I need MEAT…”
<sila> “There’s sausage in this one.”
^ Sila points to sausage lasagna
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “OutSTANDing.”
<havrasti> “Did you think the cooks would dare serve a meal without meat with dragons aboard?”
<ellie> “I would think the presence of hungry sailors would be sufficient on that point, really…” Ellie comments quietly.
<~rkcgm> Magaron digs in. “The cook’s an elf. It’d be just like them to serve some environmentally friendly salad!”
<llewelyn> “Hey!”
<llewelyn> “We like meat just as much as anyone!”
<ellie> “…erm…” Ellie sighs and wonders what it is with people and the racial stereotypes. She’s kinda still not used to it. :-p
<sila> “Yeah, and yet there’s still /zuchini/ or something in the other lasagna.”
^ Sila pretends to shudder in disgust
<~rkcgm> Magaron winks at Sila. “That’s spinach, little lady.”
^ Sila chuckles
<havrasti> “The sailors can have the spinach.”
<havrasti> “Makes ’em strong.”
^ Havrasti eats his MEAT
<~rkcgm> The cook comes out and puts a bowl of salad down in front of Magaron. He digs into it with unseemly gusto.
^ Ellie raises an eyebrow, but refrains from commenting, figuring it’s all a set-up. ""So, is everything going okay with the ship?" She asks. “No any problems keeping you late?”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “No problems that aren’t out of the ordinary for a ship of this vintage.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Anyway – just got the news – we’ll actually meet with our ambassador when we arrive in port.”
<sila> “Oh, good.”
<havrasti> “How long until then?”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “We’re back in deep water, so we can buckle down with the engines and make speed again!”
<ellie> “Aah, well, that sounds good. And it seems everything went pretty smoothly while we were gone?”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “We got tripped up a bit in the reefs south of Ros. But we didn’t put her into any rocks – and we outran the one pirate scow that came anywhere near us.”
<ellie> “Aaah, well… then not as boring as you might’ve wished, but no disasters.”
<ellie> “I suppose that’s still pretty good.”
<sila> “Just as well you didn’t make any better time, seeing as we were busy ourselves.”
<havrasti> “Aww, we missed the pirate action.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “The pirates would’ve gotten a real surprise if they got close.”
<sila> “I bet they were surprised anyway, outrunning them without benefit of sails and all.”
<~rkcgm> Magaron beams. “I’d still love to get a fast cutter, like one of our Coast Guard jobs, on these Esserean seas. My only regret is that I wouldn’t get to see the looks on the locals’ faces when I run circles round them at three times their maximum speed!”
<sila> “Hehe. Maybe someday.”
<ellie> “Heh, have a competitive streak, do you? Or would it just be the fun of showing off?” Ellie jokes.
<~rkcgm> Magaron: “Definitely both.”
^ Ellie chuckles a little.
<~rkcgm> Dinner finishes up, and you all retire to your rooms for a good night of sleep – the next day promises to see you arriving in eastern Alamanche to begin your diplomatic tour.
<~rkcgm> == END LOG ==

Log 032

Red King's Command Wayfarer