Red King's Command

Arc 10
Iverindor Vacation

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> Last time, we acquired what appears to be the personal journal or notebook of your dear dragonhunter friend Lockwood. Unfortunately, you can’t decode it, because it’s written in a very obscure language where the letters move.
Llewelyn also announced his intention of going on a vaca… visit to Iverindor to meet with his grandfather, who possibly has a way to translate that language.
<rkcgm> But first, you need to sit through a group meeting at DEAR headquarters.
<ellie> Lovely. Meetings. ;-)
<rkcgm> ((I believe you were still in MI in Havrasti’s cave, yes?))
<havrasti> ((home at least))
<rkcgm> ((We’d better start there.))
<havrasti> “So when is the meeting, exactly?”

  • Sila is asking her dad about the script. Because she can ask her dad things now!
    <llewelyn> “Starts at 10 tomorrow morning.”
    <havrasti> “…I’m glad we have a portal maker and don’t have to take an overnight flight.”
    <llewelyn> “We should probably arrive a 8 even so. I’ve got some things to pull together from my office.”
    <sila> “OK.”
    <sila> “So breakfast at 7, at least for people who have to portal to work.”
    Llewelyn laughs.
    <ellie> “I might as well stick around here this evening. I’ll come over at 7 to join for the portal.”
    <havrasti> “Sounds fine.”
    <ellie> “Might drop by and visit Seth on my way home, actually. Haven’t been able to say hi to my big brother in a while.”
    <havrasti> “Heh.”
    <sila> “Heh, I wonder what he’ll think of a dragon president for Cuba?”
    <llewelyn> responds dryly: “Shrieking terror, probably.”
    <ellie> “Hehe. I’m not sure, though I don’t know if I’ll ask. I try not to talk too much about work, y’know.”
    <ellie> "No need to figure out which things should remain secret that way.
    <sila> “Yeah, that’s true.”
    <rkcgm> ((Well, shall we time-skip to arriving at HQ?))
    <havrasti> ((sure))
    <ellie> ((Works for me))
    <sila> ((OK))
    <rkcgm> You arrive at DEAR headquarters via portal shortly after a filling (and bacony) breakfast; you find the place more crowded than usual, perhaps since everyone’s actually there at the same time.
    <rkcgm> There’s all six members of the Seal Team; Colin and April Lamb, Betsy and Theodore, Carnildo (sigh), almost everyone…
    <havrasti> ((“almost”? who’s missing? :P ))
    <rkcgm> The moment you arrive, Douglas gives you a telepathic greeting: <can>
    <rkcgm> Douglas: <grab>
    <sila> *Sam came through with us of course
  • Ellie replies with a <yes,> and keeps a lookout for Charlotte on the way.
    <sila> “Go on in Sam, we’ll catch up with you after the boss catches up to us.”
  • Havrasti heads on up with the others
    <llewelyn>: “Anyone seen Charlotte?”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo: “Probably sleeping in or calling in sick again…”
    <sila> “Again? Is Charlotte sick a lot?”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo shrugs. “Twice last week.”
    <sila> “Huh. I hope she’s OK.”
    <havrasti> “Huh, wonder with what.”
    <ellie> “Let’s see if she checked in for work.”
    <sila> “Don’t you think we’d better see Douglass first?”
    <sila> “Besides, he probably knows.”
    <llewelyn>: “If her badge cleared the door? Shouldn’t be too much of a problem.”
    <ellie> “If we check, we can at least report to Douglas that she’s not here, if that’s the case.”
  • Ellie goes to the front desk to as Mrs. Lamb to check.
    <rkcgm> April: “Charlotte? No, she hasn’t badged in yet today. Or called, for that matter.”
    <ellie> “Hmm. Okay, well… thanks anyway.”
  • Ellie returns to the others to report this. “Let’s go on to Douglas. If he wants to have us check up on her later, we can do that.”
  • Havrasti nods
    <sila> “Yeah. Maybe she’s just running a few minutes late.”
    <sila> “…wait, we’re 2 hours early. Maybe she’s not /even/ running late.”
  • Sila heads up to Douglas’s office
    <ellie> “Well, Douglas thought she might be in. We’ll see.”
  • Havrasti knocks on Douglas’ door
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Yup, come in…”
    <havrasti> “Hello, sir.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: "Morning, folks. How’s my A Team?
    <rkcgm> "
    <ellie> “Doing well enough. Charlotte’s not in yet, so we couldn’t bring her along.”
    <sila> “We found something interesting in the slayers’ lair, finally. We’ll need help translating.”
    <havrasti> “Overall, in high spirits.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas sighs and his tail doesn’t wag. “That’s unfortunate.”
    <ellie> “What’s wrong?”
    <rkcgm> ((Response to Charlotte’s lack of presence.))
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “I’d hoped to discuss this with all of you here. But maybe this is better to talk to you four first.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “I’d like to assign Charlotte to your team for… the foreseeable future. She’s not working out well with the ‘B’ Team.”
    <sila> “…does that mean, she’s not interacting well with Carne?”
    <sila> “Or something else?”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “I can neither… okay, yes, she’s not working very well with Carnildo.”
  • Ellie nods and says nothing.
    <llewelyn>: “Who does?”
    <sila> “Color me shocked.”
    <ellie> That’s what Ellie’s nod amounted to, though she didn’t want to badmouth Carnildo. ;-)
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Theo and Betsy tolerate him, but they’re both older and more grounded than Charlotte.”
    <havrasti> “So being on our team, what will her duties be? In the field with us or more of a back home support role?”
    <rkcgm> Hickory interrupts: “And Carnildo isn’t hitting on either of them, either.”
    <sila> “Did she hit him back?”
  • Sila sounds curious and possibly a smidge hopeful
  • Ellie snerks
    <rkcgm> Douglas sounds exasperated: “Thank you for saying that out loud, Hickory. That shouldn’t leave this room; and no, Charlotte didn’t hit back. She started calling in sick instead.”
    <ellie> “I’m sorry, sir, but I don’t think any of us are surprised. It kind of fits with Carnildo’s general pattern of behavior. We won’t mention it, though.”
    <sila> " Sounds like a less efficient preventative to me, but then, she’s probably thinking avoidance rather than prevention."
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “I know, Ellie – it hasn’t escaped my notice, and Carnildo’s not going without ahem corrective measures.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “But for now, I’d like you to take Charlotte with you into the field.”
    <sila> “Out of sight out of mind?”
    <ellie> “I don’t think any of us have a problem with the idea of working with Charlotte.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “And give her a greater degree of experience working with the magical realm. She’s a neophyte, even more so…” Douglas glances to Ellie, “…than any of you on your first day here.”
  • Ellie grins a little. “Well, I know how that goes.”
    <sila> “For that matter, having her on our team will give me a better excuse to sit between them even when we’re here. For /some/ reason he doesn’t really hit on me. I’m not sure if it’s having my tall, steer-wrangling husband in the room, or if it’s just that he knows I’m actually big enough to take the meat jokes more seriously than a human.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas glances at Llewelyn: “Stop thinking that, by the way.”
    <llewelyn>: “Well, why not?”
    <llewelyn>: “It’d solve the problem.”
    <sila> “What’d sold which problem?”
    <ellie> “…And what is it he’s not supposed to think that would solve the problem? I mean…. if you really didn’t want us to know, you didn’t have to say it out loud, Douglas.”
    <sila> ((er, sold = solve ))
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “He wants to glue Carnildo to the back of a train headed for-”
    <llewelyn>: “Toledo.”
  • Ellie snerks. “Now, now…”
    <havrasti> “Problem with that plan, the train would eventually come back.”
    <sila> “Poor solution. He’d eventually get to Toledo, and they’d want to unglue him and send him home.”
    <ellie> “We’re going to Esserea. I don’t think he’ll be able to bother us there.”
    <sila> “That’s not work it’s vacation. Although I guess Charlotte can still come if Llewelyn says its ok.”
    <llewelyn>: “I can dream, can’t I?”
    <llewelyn>: “And yes, that’s fine.”
    <ellie> “…I guess it’s just reflex to expect that vacation will inevitably turn into work…”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Good. Now… call her cell phone and get her in here. Her sick day is declined.”
  • Havrasti chuckles at Ellie
    <sila> “I’ll do it!”
  • Sila magics at her cellphone. “Hi Charolotte! Good news, you’ve been added to our field team just in time to take an ever-so-slightly-working vacation to Esserea!”
    <rkcgm> ((Text message?))
    <sila> ((Assuming she answers, it’s a barely-letting-her-get-a-word-out greeting. As in, ’I’m telling you the good news before you start trying to lie to me." If she doesn’t pick up, then a text message.))
    <rkcgm> ((She doesn’t pick up.))
  • Sila adds a second line: “Douglass says, no sick day for you, bring your tissues or whatever and get in here before the meeting so we can get you up to speed.”
    <ellie> ((Can Sila figure out whether the receiving phone is on?))
    <rkcgm> ((Sure. Roll versus easy…))
    <rkcgm> !2d6: versus easy
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “versus easy”: (2+4). Total: 6.
    <sila> !6d6: you are /getting/ this message, right?
    <painbot> [Sila] rolled “you are /getting/ this message, right?”: (3+1+5+1+5+3). Total: 18.
    <rkcgm> Sila: You are able to determine that the phone is on, and the alarm is going off, as it has been for the last hour.
    <sila> "Uh…
    <sila> “Boss? Are you sure she’s not /sick/ sick? Like, stuffed up ears and stuff?”
    <ellie> “What’s up?”
    <sila> “Her phone tells me it’s ringing her alarm…based on the /sixth/ 10-minute auto-snooze. That means it’s been ringing for 30 or the last 60 minutes with no response. Most people get fed up way before then if they can actually hear it, you know?”
    <sila> ((30 OF the last 60 minutes))
    <sila> “And /auto/ snooze means she’s not turning it off herself.”
  • Ellie frowns…
    <ellie> “Maybe we should go by her home and check on her.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Maybe you should head over there and investigate.”
    <sila> “…could be silenced. On the charger in another room. Or like I said before, if her head is stuffed…”
    <havrasti> “Alright.”
    <sila> “Most employers would consider that overkill. Just saying…”
    <havrasti> “Our line of business is a bit different than most companies.”
    <ellie> “Most employers don’t have a means of discovering that a phone alarm has been suspiciously neglected.”
    <sila> “Do we need a portal for this mission of tough mercy?”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Most employers aren’t in the national security business with magic.”
  • Sila nods at Douglas, acknowledging a salient point
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “She lives five minutes away. You can take a car or portal if you want.”
    <sila> “For local commuting, we can stick with physical transportation. Llewelyn needs an excuse to drive his Cuban purchase anyway, right?”
    <sila> “Do we have plates on that yet?”
    <llewelyn>: “No. And it broke down.”
    <sila> “Aw. Next week then.” ;)
    <llewelyn>: “I needed more bailing wire and duct tape.”
    <havrasti> “So some other car then. Let’s hit the garage.”
    <llewelyn>: “But let’s go.”
    <ellie> “You should bring it by my dad’s house.”
    <ellie> “He could help you out with it.”
    <sila> “I hear myself being volunteered for portals again…”
    <sila> “Let’s see, there’s four of us, and we might want to bring Charlotte back…one of the vans?”
    <llewelyn> heads out and gets his work car in the parking lot.
  • Ellie bids Douglas farewell, then goes on out with the others.
  • Havrasti let’s Sila in fist
  • Sila gets in
    <llewelyn> opens the door for Ellie, and has the car remote-started before he gets around to the driver’s side.
  • Ellie gets in
    <rkcgm> ((brb))
    <rkcgm> ((Back))
    <havrasti> ((wb))
    <rkcgm> Charlotte lives quite close to DEAR’s office in a nice but hardly luxurious apartment complex.
  • Sila heads up to the appropriate unit, and pauses at the door to listen for electronics etc.
    <sila> (and ordinary noises for that matter.)
  • Ellie follows Sila, and listens at the door with telepathy.
    <rkcgm> Sila: the phone has just finished sounding the alarm again, still unsilenced. There’s a laptop on sleep mode. Nothing else.
    <sila> “Hm. Phone’s still at it. Just auto-snoozed again.”
    <sila> “You getting anything, Ellie?”
    <rkcgm> ((Roll versus standard, Ellie.))
    <rkcgm> !3d6: standard
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “standard”: (6+6+1). Total: 13.
    <rkcgm> !3d6: vs standard
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “vs standard”: (1+4+4). Total: 9.
    <ellie> !6d6: telepathy check
    <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy check”: (2+3+5+1+4+1). Total: 16.
    <rkcgm> ((I’m sticking with the second roll.))
    <rkcgm> Ellie: there are two cats and Charlotte, who is… terrified. Nothing else.
    <havrasti> “…Terrified??”
    <havrasti> “Are they normal cats?”
  • Ellie will have told the others.
  • Ellie telepathies to Charlotte, /Charlotte, it’s Ellie. From DEAR. What’s wrong?/
  • Sila carefully tests the door. Is it locked?
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: <ellie,>
    <rkcgm> ((It is locked, yes.))
  • Ellie replies, /We’ll be in as soon as we can, but the door’s locked…/
  • Ellie quickly tells the others what Charlotte answered.
    <ellie> She then tries to telepathy-check the cats….
    <sila> “Havrasti, do you hear any magic?”
  • Havrasti checks for magic
    <rkcgm> Havrasti: none, really.
    <havrasti> “Nope.”
    <rkcgm> Ellie: one of the cats is sitting on top of a bookshelf thinking: “This is a FANTASTIC game!” The other one is wishing there was more food in her bowl.
    <llewelyn> waves at the door.
    <rkcgm> !7d6: sorcery versus standard
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “sorcery versus standard”: (1+4+4+4+1+5+6). Total: 25.
    <rkcgm> !3d6: versus
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “versus”: (3+1+1). Total: 5.
    <llewelyn>: “Door’s open now.”
  • Ellie telepathies to Charlotte, /We’re on our way in. Don’t worry./
    <sila> “Tell her we’re coming in, Ellie? Don’t want to scare her any worse.”
    <llewelyn> steps inside. “So, uh… where?”
  • Sila looks around for cats
  • Havrasti looks
  • Ellie follows Llewelyn inside, and starts heading (cautiously) toward where she’d heard Charlotte.
  • Ellie telepathies to the others, /Cats don’t seem to be an actual threat, from telepathy./
    <rkcgm> One of the cats, a fluffy Maine coon, is sitting on the couch in the living room licking her paw. She looks up when Llewelyn enters, and then runs for the back bedroom.
    <rkcgm> Cat (in catthink): <unfamiliar>
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: <the>
    <sila> “Charlotte? Can you hear me yet?”
    <rkcgm> A very quiet voice from the back bedroom answers: “Heeelp meeeee!”
  • Ellie heads toward the back bedroom, calmly but quickly.
  • Sila follows the cat
  • Ellie was following the voice.
    <sila> ((that too :P ))
    <rkcgm> The Maine Coon scampers under the bed; you now see there’s a large Savannah cat sitting on top of the bookshelf at the foot of the bed, staring down at the bed with a fascinated expression and the air of something that wants to pounce.
    <rkcgm> The second cat is… slightly smaller than the Maine Coon. Both big cats, but…
  • Havrasti looks for Charlotte…. gets an idea and looks for a /tiny/ Charlotte
  • Sila picks up the Savannah cat
    <sila> (trying anyway :P )
  • Ellie is also looking for Charlotte.
    <havrasti> “The cats seem normal, is something wrong with you?”
    <rkcgm> The covers on the bed are very messed up, but it’s obvious that no human could fit under them. But something moves under the covers anyway.
    <rkcgm> Savannah Cat: <no>
  • Havrasti lifts the covers after the cat is secured
  • Sila scritches the cat under the chin
    <ellie> “Sila, could you take the cat out of the room and close the door?”
    <ellie> “Or set the cat out of the room and close the door?”
    <rkcgm> Tiny Charlotte: “Eeek!”
    <sila> “The other one’s under the bed, but I can take this one.”
    <ellie> “Charlotte, what /happened/?”
    <ellie> “I think the other one’s fine; it’s that one that thinks this is a game. It doesn’t recognize her.”
  • Sila puts the cat in the bathroom
    <rkcgm> Charlotte is… twelve inches tall, glowing kinda yellow, and has very fancy pretty butterfly wings.
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “THE COOKIES WERE A DISASTER.”
    <ellie> “Oh. Oh dear…”
    <sila> “This you call a disaster? Can you fly??”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte answers in a shrill helium voice: “I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO TRY YET! MY CATS HAVE BEEN STALKING ME FOR… ahem! They’ve been stalking me for nearly two hours!”
    <sila> “Not the best start then, I admit.”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Austria sat on me and nearly suffocated me!”
    <ellie> “They didn’t know they were going to hurt you, for the record. But we’ll get them out of the room so you’re safe, okay?”
  • Ellie telepathies to the cat under the bed, /Hurry! Hurry! You want to run out of this room where all the strange people are! Run to the door…/
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Then find me some pants!”
  • Sila snerks
    <rkcgm> Maine Coon (named Austria): OMGHUMANSGETOUTGETOUTEJECTEJECTEJECT!
    <sila> “Maybe a nice dish-towel wrap skirt?”
    <ellie> “Aaah, hm. At your size, pants might be more difficult, but we can make the guys leave while we work something up.”
  • Ellie looks to Llewelyn and Havrasti. “Maybe let the cat out on your way? And make sure the other doesn’t come in?”
    <sila> “I’ll go look for something pretty in the kitchen.”
    <llewelyn> takes the Savannah cat. “Here, kitty kitty. I have a laser pointer…”
  • Havrasti goes for the ‘coon cat
    <sila> ((Savannah cat is already in the bathroom, remember?))
    <llewelyn> has his sidearm with the laser designator out. “Shiny laser!”
    <rkcgm> Savannah Cat (named… Pancake…): “Ooh, toy!”
    <sila> “Vine print tea towel – that should do for now. Hey Charlotte, you keep safety pins around here?”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Um. Maybe. Probably in one of my boxes?”
    <rkcgm> ((Now that you have time to notice, you can observe that Charlotte has obviously just moved in, and hasn’t unpacked all her boxes yet.))
    <sila> “…we’ll make do without for now.”
    <ellie> !5d6: How prepared is Ellie? Does she have a mini repair sewing kit in her purse?
    <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “How prepared is Ellie? Does she have a mini repair sewing kit in her purse?”: (6+4+5+5+3). Total: 23.
    <rkcgm> !3d6: luck versus standard for Ellie…
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “luck versus standard for Ellie…”: (3+3+2). Total: 8.
    <rkcgm> ((Very prepared, it appears!))
  • Sila brings the tea-towel back to the bedroom
    <sila> ((and that’s a costumer’s daughter for you ;) ))
    <ellie> ((Indeed. ;-) ))
    <rkcgm> The phone starts going off again.
  • Ellie rummages in her purse. “Aaah, perfect, I thought I had that in here.” She pulls out the kit.
    <havrasti> “Oh, perhaps we should call Douglas.”
    <sila> “Here you go Charlotte – is this new, as in, easy to replace?”
    <ellie> “Hm. Mind if I turn that off?” she asks Charlotte.
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “It’ll do.”
  • Ellie turns the phone off, then takes the dish towel Sila found. She fits it to Charlotte appropriately, then adds stitches where appropriate to make it work as a skirt/dress/ whatever’s needed.
    <rkcgm> Charlotte pouts as Ellie finishes her dress: “I am never baking cookies again… this was not supposed to happen. I was SURE I had the recipe right…”
    <sila> “I gotta tell you, Charlotte, cat problem aside this looks like a really neat transformation. Do you know when it will wear off, or how to exit?”
    <sila> “It might be worth recording /this/ recipe for later use.”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “No…”
    <sila> “Hm. We’ll take notes for next time then.”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “And you’re friends, so you really should call me Carley. Only telemarketers, bosses, and students call me Miss Charlotte.”
    <sila> “Heh, ok, Carley then. And maybe I’ll see about getting Sam to teach me how to make a jewel that would get you back to your normal form when you have expiremental surprises like this – that seems like it’d reduce the research trauma quite a bit.”
    <sila> “I’ve been thinking about learning the jewel enchantment anyway, now that I’m married.”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte (Carley) waits until her dress is complete, and then flutters her butterfly wings. “I wonder if I can AAIE I CAN WATCH OUT I CAN’T STEER AAAH-” (She flies haphazardly around the room before crashing into a pillow.)
    <sila> “I’ve seen worse maiden flights! Don’t tell my brother I said so, though.”
    <ellie> “Nice! Well done, for a first flight.”
    <havrasti> “Are things arlight in there? Is she clothed yet?”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte: “…I’m okay!”
    <sila> “Tell you what – you can ride on my shoulder, and if there’s room at the staff meeting, I’ll shift and you can sit on my back. Then you won’t be the only non-human-looking one in the room.”
    <sila> “And we can teach you to fly properly afterwards!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Okay!”
    <rkcgm> Carley tries to fly again. Hits the blinds, clings on for dear life.
  • Ellie goes over and holds a hand out for her under her feet.
    <ellie> “Actually, maybe I can make some appropriately-sized clothes, and I can shift down to the same size.”
    <sila> “Do you think it’s close enough to a standard 12” doll that we could outfit the pair of you from a toy store?"
    <sila> “Because if you’re going to be flying, you probably do want pants, or at least under-bloomers for your dress.”
    <ellie> “Actually, that’s probably a good idea.”
    <rkcgm> Carley consents to be retrieved from the blinds: “Well, this was definitely NOT what I had in mind. And yes, it’s probably going to be awesome once I figure it out… but I was trying to get superhuman strength.”
    <sila> “Heh, do you have massive /proportional/ strength now?”
    <sila> “Like the might ant, hehe!”
    <rkcgm> Carley manages to fly over to her dresser, and manages to lift her hairbrush, which is now half her height. “Uh… no. This is kinda heavy.”
    <sila> “Ah. Definitely needs more work then.”
    <sila> “Still, the guy who invented galvanized rubber wasn’t trying either.”
    <ellie> “Well. I mean, at some point we probably want to figure out how to return you to your proper size. But for now, we can get you some things to make this size livable, and you can figure out some of the fun of it.”
    <sila> “Not to mention, we still have to get to the meeting. So if we’re gonna hit a toy store, let’s move.”
    <rkcgm> Charlotte sneezes. Glowing pink dust erupts from her vicinity like a geyser.
    <sila> “HAHAhahaha you’ve got pixie dust!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “What? I can’t go out in public like this!”
    <ellie> “I can make you invisible if you want…”
    <sila> “DEAR isn’t public.”
    <sila> “And if you don’t feel like being invisible, we can stay in the car while Ellie runs into the toy store.”
  • Sila gets a ziplock and collects a sample of the pink dust
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…well.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Okay. Invisible, then.”
    <rkcgm> Carley turns invisible.
  • Sila blinks
    <ellie> “…I didn’t do that. Hm. That form has more interesting abilities than you knew, I think.”
    <sila> “Shoulder-ride offer is still open, anyway.”
    <havrasti> “What’s going on in there?”
    <sila> “We’re compromising on semi-public appearances, and plotting a clothes shopping trip.”
  • Sila googles nearby toy stores
    <sila> …on Llewelyn’s phone :P
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Didn’t do what?”
    <sila> “Turn you invisible. Did you know you were invisible?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “No.”
    <sila> “Ooh, let’s try International Doll Boutique! I bet they’ll have all kinds of great outfits. Maybe even something that won’t take too much alteration for the wings!”
    <ellie> “I suspect you willed yourself invisible and it happened. Try willing yourself visible again.”
  • Sila tells Llewelyn’s phone to send the address to it’s driving-directions app
    <llewelyn> is sitting on the couch, pointing his gun (and its associated laser) at the floor. Pancake is chasing the laser.
    <rkcgm> Pancake: <sila> “You can stay on Havra if you want, but you should probably sit up, instead of hanging over just like you hit.”
    <rkcgm> Carley transfers shoulders. “Ready to go.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…if only the recipe worked as intended, I could’ve been… I don’t know, Supergirl or Wonder Woman.”
    <sila> “Except then you wouldn’t be flying.”
  • Sila heads for the car
    <ellie> “And you wouldn’t be able to go invisible at will.”
    <rkcgm> Carley sighs. “…this is probably going to be a problem when I need to use the restroom.”
    <havrasti> “I wonder if the pixie dust actually does anything.”
    <sila> “I grabbed a sample so we can find out. Not that she doesn’t seem to be producing plenty.”
    <ellie> “I think you landed on something pretty cool. We’ll work out the issues as we go. Once we get decent clothes, I’m going to try and shift to a similar form, and we can work things out from there.”
    <havrasti> “She got plenty on me… hmm, moment.” * thinks of happy thoughts (aka, Sila) *
    <llewelyn> puts away his gun (and laser). The cats decide food is super-important.
  • Ellie makes sure the food and water bowls are full before we leave.
    <rkcgm> Carley (in tiny pipsqueak voice): “Mommy’s going to work now, girls! Behave! KEEP OFF THE COUCH!”
    <sila> (I’m sure the cats pay as much attention as they usually do :P )
  • Sila grabs Carley’s purse for her
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Thanks!”
    <havrasti> “Off to the toy store, then.”
    <rkcgm> Once you’re all in the car and bound for the shop, Llewelyn quickly explains in a mostly-officialish tone how Carley’s transferred to Team Elves & Dragons.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…so I’m on a new team, then?”
    <ellie> “Yep, in short.”
    <havrasti> “Stuck with us now, yep.”
    <sila> “We’re going to Esserea soon, too. Family visits and maybe library research.”
    <rkcgm> Carley in pipsqueak voice: “Thank God! I mean… yes, of course. I’m sure we can make it work.”
    <ellie> “Hehehehe”
    <ellie> “So, welcome to the team.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yay. So… a great introduction to the powerful abilities I can bring to the team! +5 bonus to ‘hide from cats’!”
    <ellie> “hehehe. Bravo. Though I’ll bet if you’d known you were able to make yourself invisible, you’d have had an even better edge on them.”
    <sila> “Heh, fortunately, we’re familiar with the whole Doing Science to Magic thing. We’ll have all kinds of fun and learning, baking between assignments.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…maybe. But after Austria nearly suffocated me and Pancake started stalking, I couldn’t even reach my phone to call for help.”
    <sila> “Yeah, new recipe testing might be the kind of thing you should do with a spotter at hand.”
    <sila> “Live and learn, right?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Eyup.”
    <rkcgm> ((Let’s time-skip: clothing acquired, and back for the meeting?))
    <ellie> ((Works for me))
    <sila> ((Sounds good))
    <rkcgm> ((Unless you want to shop. In which case, we’re there.))
    <ellie> ((Ellie acquired clothing, too. All I wanted to do.))
    <havrasti> ((skip is fine))
    <rkcgm> You arrive back at DEAR just in time for the start of the meeting, which is being held in the large conference room, now filled with perhaps forty people.
    <ellie> ((Assuming Carley got dressed at the shop?))
    <rkcgm> ((I guess?))
    <ellie> ((Probably for the best.))
    <sila> ((maybe we got a paper shopping bag and she used it for a tent :P ))
    <ellie> ((Heee! Also works.))
    <sila> ((doll shops doen’t really have dressing rooms, but there are ways of working it out))
  • Sila keeps her promise and tries to find room to shift, so the faux faries can sit on her back.
    <ellie> ((Shall we say Ellie’s already shifted and changed, as well?))
    <rkcgm> One of the Seals: “Oi, hey, what’s the deal? That’s your wing in my face! Watch it!”
    <sila> “Sorry, I didn’t see you there. Excuse me.”
    <rkcgm> Another Seal commando just shrugs, folds up his chair, leans against Sila.
    <rkcgm> Leaning Seal puts on dark shades.
  • Sila settles down and lets people use her as a bench as necessary
    <havrasti> (there probably isn’t enough room for two dragons, so Havrasti is just sitting against/on Sila as well)
  • Ellie had already shifted and changed. She sits down alongside Carley on Sila’s back.
    <rkcgm> Hickory comes out to the front of the conference room. “All right, folks; let’s get started.”
  • Sila has her “everything is normal” face on
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “It’s been a long time since we’ve had one of these meetings, and we’ve grown a lot since the last one… so let’s introduce some of the new folks, and some of the not-so-new folks…”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “…we’ve got two teams of mages, now; one under Llewelyn…” (He names all of you, including Charlotte.) “…wait, Is that you, Charlotte?”
    <rkcgm> Carley (helium fairy voice): “Hiiii boss!”
  • Havrasti chuckles at “Grown”, he and Sila probably increased their mass by an order of magnitude all by themselves
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Cooking accident?”
    <havrasti> “And cats being cats.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yeah, I made cookies.”
    <havrasti> ((can I roll luck to see if other cookies were being served here and if Carnildo was eating one? :P :) ))
    <rkcgm> Carnildo mutters from across the room: “Note to self – don’t eat Charlotte’s cooking.”
  • Ellie thinks to herself that he /really/ doesn’t have much tact… :-p
    <rkcgm> Carley: grumble grumble
  • Ellie whispers to Carley, “He doesn’t have to worry much about that, now does he? You’re on /our/ team now.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “…and our second team, lead by Theo Fisher, and composed of Betsy Mercer – when her other duties allow – and Mark Mahan, better known to you as Carnildo Mahani.”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo stands up and bows several times in all directions. “Thank you, thank you; I’m glad to be here.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “That makes one of us.”
  • Ellie makes a face akin to .
    <rkcgm> Carnildo misses the comment. The Seals chuckle.
  • Sila rolls her eyes are Carne and flicks her tail in disdain
    <rkcgm> Douglas introduces a few other people who are new, and then moves on.
    <rkcgm> Douglas talks a bit about a few of the things that have been accomplished by DEAR over the last year (although no secrets are outed).
    <rkcgm> For instance, did you know that Theo Fisher and Betsy Mercer went with Vincent to defeat an evil sorcerer at the North Pole?
    <sila> (Did they save Christmas? :) ))
    <rkcgm> Why, yes, they did! :P
    <rkcgm> And… sigh, Carnildo, in his one overseas trip, managed to singlehandedly prevent a suicide bombing in the Middle East.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I’m sure we’re never going to hear the end of that.”
  • Ellie reeeeaaaaaaally wishes she had magic control over sound, right about now. So she could silence him….
    <sila> “Hey, give credit where credit is due. It /was/ well done.”
    <llewelyn>: “Only one suicide bomber? My team stopped Islamic terrorists from taking the Bowl of Plagues.”
  • Ellie chuckles. Very, very quietly.
    <rkcgm> Douglas also touches on some of your accomplishments, too.
    <havrasti> (only some, because otherwise it’d be a long list and we’d be here all day :P ;) )
    <ellie> ((And some are secret, still. ;-) ))
  • Sila whispers to Carley “…we also talked down the angry bereaved dragon left over after the bowl’s carrier was assassinated. That was a challenge all on its own.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I saw that on YouTube!”
    <sila> “Yeah, that was the downside of the mission, unfortunately.”
    <sila> “I just hope he’s stable enough not to end up on YouTube again.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I thought the footage was SOO faked… I was sure it was a filming stunt for one of the Marvel movies.”
    <ellie> “Some of that was Llewelyn’s work, I think. He made the dragon look pixellated, if I recall correctly.” Ellie is whispering.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Or maybe Transformers, because the Marvel movies are actually GOOD…”
  • Sila snerks, and returns her attention to what Douglas is saying
    <rkcgm> Douglas turns the topic to narrating a few various projects that are in process around DEAR; most of them are nothing all that special. There’s Valgrim’s work on creating some magic armour-exoskeleton that will work for the Seal Team…
    <sila> Sam: “Oooooh…”
    <rkcgm> One of the Seals: “It’s not going to punch me in the face again, is it?”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “I FIXED THAT PROBLEM!”
  • Havrasti laughs
    <rkcgm> Seal: “I had to have my nose ‘fixed’!”
    <sila> “You taking up nose jobs, Ellie?” :P
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “At least it got you a short vacation, even if it didn’t help your appearance.”
  • Ellie snickers. “They didn’t come to me with that one.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “And Llewelyn’s up to some sort of secret project with that marble duck. Llewelyn, care to share?”
    <llewelyn>: “Neeeope.”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Uh… not even a little?”
    <llewelyn>: “Nope.”
    <sila> “He won’t even tell us. I don’t know how Ellie stands the temptation.”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo: “My money’s on a magic cruise missile.”
    <rkcgm> Colin Lamb: “Prank for Vincent.”
    <rkcgm> Theo Fisher: “Word.”
    <rkcgm> Betsy: “Easy money.”
    <ellie> “…I think they got it.”
    <llewelyn> grins, but says nothing.
    <llewelyn> is smug.
    <sila> “It made a good doorstop when we needed one, anyway.”
    <llewelyn>: “Eyup.”
    <havrasti> “Then put me down for magically self-replicating doorstops for everyone.”
    <sila> “You…think he should /breed/ giant stone ducks?? They wouldn’t even be edible!”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Well then. Time for open discussion, and then questions. Anyone care to talk?”
  • Havrasti doesn’t have anything at the moment
    <rkcgm> Betsy gets up and talks for a bit about her experience working with the White Council. She also delivers a very succinct (and extremely interesting) five minute history of magic in the US, as told by someone who was alive for most of it.
    <rkcgm> ((Remember that Betsy was born in the early 1840s – and was an original, pre-Civil War genuine certified Southern Belle.))
    <havrasti> ((ahhh))
    <rkcgm> After Betsy finishes, Carnildo stands up. Douglas looks at him. Carnildo stops. “Er, need to use the restroom… be right back.”
  • Sila tells the true story of Sir George and the Dragon, thought she leaves out the details of how The Dragon’s Daughter rediscovered the time portal. She does emphasize the unfortunate lack of utility of said time portal.
    <rkcgm> Theo: “I bet you could actually do something useful with it, but I can’t think of anything yet. And the power requirements…”
    <sila> “Yeah, I wouldn’t care to burn myself out that way.”
    <sila> “I use regular interspacial portals too much to give them up. Of course, The Dragon in the story was taking a last-ditch survival chance, so you can see where the cost/benefit ratio hit an unusual extreme there.”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Too bad you can’t go back, either. If it was easy on power, you could use it to really increase computing power or something.”
    <sila> “We’re working on another solution to that with the folks from the California mission.”
    <sila> “Magically increased computing power, I mean.”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim grins. “Finally. I will be able to play Skyrim on top graphics!”
    <sila> “Yeeeeeeah…good luck with that.”
    <havrasti> “…..”
  • Sila isn’t fond of that particular game.
    <havrasti> “You are familiar with the phase ‘Poking the dragon’, right?”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: "Actually, it’s “tickling the dragon’s tail”, which was created by the physicists who worked on the first atomic bomb and the ‘Demon Core’…"
    <rkcgm> Valgrim rattles on for a few minutes.
  • Sila lets him, then puts in, “I think Havrasti was thinking of the Esserean figure of speech, which actually does rely on the analogy of prodding an unfriendly dragon. Nobody likes being poked with a stick, you know?”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “…and as to irritating the more literal dragons in the room, I say that you can kiss my flabby white-”
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “NEXT!”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim mutters: “Fus-ro-dah, baby.”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim turns around and winks at Havrasti and Sila.
    <llewelyn>: “Troll, troll, troll your boat…”
  • Sila misses a few minutes of whatever comes next because she’s busy deleting a few key graphics files out of Valgrim’s skyrim installation. His character will lack lower-body armor next time he plays.
    <rkcgm> ((Distressingly… this is not going to change much for Valgrim’s character.))
    <rkcgm> ((And now it’s the GM trolling. :P ))
    <ellie> ((…facepalm… :-p ))
    <sila> (( :P ))
    <ellie> ((Well, Sila could always change it so that the leg graphics themselves don’t show up…))
    <ellie> ((He’s an upper half floating in midair…))
    <sila> ((I don’t know Skyrim all that well, but rest assured Sila will find something sufficiently obvious to troll Valgrim back :P ))
    <rkcgm> The leader of the Seal Team talks very briefly about some training he’s putting his team through. Not really useful to you.
    <rkcgm> Carnildo returns from the bathroom.
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “Very well then. Any final questions?”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo: “Just one.”
  • Ellie suppresses an eye-roll.
    <rkcgm> Carnildo: “If you’re a were-dog… why are you ALWAYS a dog?”
  • Ellie refrains from suppressing. :-p
    <rkcgm> Douglas stares at Carnildo.
    <rkcgm> Everyone else stares at Carnildo.
    <rkcgm> Douglas stares at Carnildo.
  • Ellie is beginning to feel ALL the awkwardness he should be feeling and probably isn’t. :-p
    <rkcgm> Douglas stares at Carnildo.
  • Sila wonders how much telepathy is happening right now…
  • Ellie doesn’t check, because she’s not sure she wants to know…
    <rkcgm> Carnildo discovers that he didn’t entirely finish going to the bathroom.
    <rkcgm> Douglas: “…you are dismissed.”
  • Ellie kinda shudders and wonders what is Carnildo’s problem. :-p
    <sila> “Sheesh, Carne, did you have to train for that level of anti-diplomacy, or is it a natural handicap?”
    <rkcgm> Carnildo leaves the room so fast he might perhaps have flown (or teleported).
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Someday that boy’s going to push the wrong button. And trust me, I know about pushing the wrong buttons.”
  • Sila snorts.
    <sila> “Your saving grace is that you don’t usually /seek people out/ and push their buttons.”
    <sila> “I hope whatever Douglas is doing for discipline makes enough of an impression to inspire actual change before he meets an /unfriendly/ dragon, you know?”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim: “And I also don’t push buttons belonging to people who can glue me to the back of a train bound for Toledo.”
    <ellie> “…And how did you hear about /that/ particular idea?”
  • Sila eyes Llewelyn
    <sila> “Popular route, is it?”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim grins. “At least, I don’t do it more than once!”
    <rkcgm> Valgrim heads for the door.
    <llewelyn> looks innocent.
  • Sila wonders how Valgrim feels about people who can bug his video game installation. Also, how he will feel about same tomorrow.
    <sila> “Well. That’s the meeting over with. Next up: Science!”
    <rkcgm> Thirty minutes later, Sila gets a text from Valgrim saying “ZOMGROFLMAO uploaded to the mod website thx have nice day.”
    <sila> “Hm. My approach needs some work, perhaps, but at least it got his attention.”
    <sila> “…I suppose it would be petty to point out the timestamp to Douglass? Valgrim doesn’t exactly work 9-5 anyway…”
    <rkcgm> Carley spends much of that thirty minutes learning to fly without running into anything. After about thirty minutes, she’s buzzing around the office pretty proficiently.
  • Ellie has been flying about with her, learning some of the finer points of this small form, and also giving Carley pointers sometimes.
  • Sila finally shrugs and goes back to setting out the fairy-effect cookies where they will be only moderately tempting to the unwary.
  • Sila adds a “Do Not Filch” sign, just to be sure nobody get a surprise they don’t deserve
  • Ellie sees this and suggests that even this might be considered irresponsible… :-p
    <llewelyn>: “…I’m running down to the gas station for some cookies I can actually EAT.”
    <sila> “So how did they fix the super-strong preschoolers?”
    <ellie> “We don’t actually have a way to undo this yet, after all.”
    <ellie> “…Hm. I do not know, actually. Carley? How did that get fixed?”
    <havrasti> “Hence why we need more test subjects, Ellie.”
    <ellie> “We probably ought to have a way to fix it for the subject that we /have/, first, Havrasti.”
    <sila> “You could always eat one, Havrasti. Then see if it interferes with your natural shifting.”
    <sila> “After all, we’re not on assignment anytime soon, we’re getting ready for vacation. And we already know how to fly.”
    <ellie> “…Actually, that might be a /worthy/ test, if we’re going to look for more test subjects.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “It wore off after about three hours. Which was good, since that was just about the point the parents started arriving to pick up their darling little monsters.”
    <sila> “How long has it been so far, this time?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I don’t know, but longer. I ate the cookies last night, and nothing had happened when I went to bed.”
    <sila> “Strange. Oh! I know what we should try first. Here.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I tried to fly, tried to pick up my couch… no superhero flight, and no super-strength…”
  • Sila arranges herself carefully in the office, then takes off her pendant again.
    <sila> “See if this turns you into a normal-sized red-head.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “You sure?”
    <ellie> “…Well, you ended up with flight in the end…”
    <ellie> “At least that part came out right.”
    <havrasti> “Sort of.”
    <ellie> “Pfft. Flight is flight.” Ellie winks at Carley.
    <rkcgm> Carley tries on Sila’s pendant, and…
    <rkcgm> Carley opens one eye. “…it… didn’t work?”
    <sila> ((what do we see? :P ))
    <llewelyn>: “Your hair turned red and your wings turned orange. Other than that, nothing.”
    <havrasti> “So we now know the order of precedence.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Oh. Yeah, but at least I’m a redhead now. That’s cool.”
    <ellie> “Hmmm, interesting.”
    <sila> “Hm. Guess that backup plan won’t work.”
  • Sila takes the pendant back
    <sila> “I suppose the pendant ‘knows’ you’re already human or something.”
    <rkcgm> Carley’s hair stays red and her wings remain orange.
    <ellie> “…Hm. That’s… unusual.”
    <ellie> “Carley, do you /want/ to be normal-sized again?”
    <ellie> It’s not an accusing tone, but more a suggestive one…
  • Sila places a mental bet
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…well. Yes. I want to pet my kitties and not be eaten. And I don’t want to explain this to my parents, either…”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “And how would I ever get a good boyfriend?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “So… yeah.”
    <sila> “Would a magic feather help?”
    <ellie> “You remember when you wished yourself invisible? Try… wishing yourself normal again.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Tried it already, but… urrrrgh…. ggrrrrr… eeaaaghhh… nope.”
    <ellie> “hmm. Well… we’ll figure it out…”
    <ellie> “…There’s not any reason you /wouldn’t/ want to return to normal, is there?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Can’t think of anything.”
    <sila> “I’m surprised by how much logic you put into your answer before, though. What are the upsides of staying like this, do you think?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I can do funky magic.”
  • Ellie thinks to herself, /And Carnildo will leave her alone…/ but says nothing.
    <sila> “Hmm. Technically, you already could…but OK, different magic.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yeah, different magic. You… remember we were in that doll store, and you walked past that mother and her three year old daughter at the register?”
    <sila> “Yeah?”
  • Sila starts rummaging in her desk while she talks
    <rkcgm> Carley looks reluctant: “I… don’t know how or why, but I gave her a fairy protection spell.”
    <sila> “Really? Uh, do you know what it will actually do for her?”
    <sila> “Aha, there they are!”
  • Sila fiddles in her drawer, and finally pulls out a very large dark grey feather, at least a full foot long from quill to tip
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yes. She’ll always find loyal friends.”
    <sila> “Wow, that’s nice!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…and… I’m not sure how I know that, but I’m certain it’s true.”
    <ellie> “That’s… quite an interesting ability.”
    <sila> “OK, here, let’s try this: if it works the way it’s supposed to – and after the pendant I guarantee nothing of course – but if it behaves, what it will do is enlarge your existing form. You won’t lose the wings or anythign, but it will make you human-sized again, and then maybe we can try for making just the wings invisible or something. You use it by tucking it behind your ear -awkward at…
    <sila> …your size, but it’ll be smaller when you grow. See if it works.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “What’s it from?”
    <sila> “Giant duck.”
    <llewelyn>: “Not my duck.”
    <rkcgm> Carley tries the feather. It… doesn’t work.
    <sila> “Nertz.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Oh well. It was worth a try.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Maybe I just need more time…”
    <sila> “Yep. We try stuff until something works!”
    <havrasti> “Or it wears off.”
    <llewelyn>: “My grandfather might have something to suggest, too.”
    <ellie> “That’s a good idea.”
    <sila> “In the meantime though…I’m really, really disinclined to call these a failure. Powerful enough to require careful handling, yes, but not a failure.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I shouldn’t have eaten three of them.”
    <sila> “…”
    <havrasti> O.o
    <sila> “Carley my friend. We need to talk about your research techniques. OH yes.”
    <ellie> “Tasted good, did they?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Like duh, double chocolate chip cookies hot from the oven…”
    <ellie> “Heh. Maybe make a kind you don’t like quite as much next time.”
    <havrasti> “WEll, one other good thing. Just imagine what a cookie will be like at your current size.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…I need to go to the bathroom.”
    <ellie> “…Iiiiii’m not sure that would be a good idea.”
    <ellie> ((Tot he cookie))
    <ellie> ((Before she mentions the bathroom.))
    <llewelyn>: “…that’s my cue to go pick up something for lunch.”
    <sila> “You need a doll-house for this.”
    <ellie> ((Well, are we laying a large stick across a regular toilet, or getting her a cup? :-p ))
  • Sila and Sam put in lunch orders with Llewelyn and get on with the Science!
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Someone just raise the lid. I discovered I can hover. That rhymed!”
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> …I have no intro scroll today, sorry.
<rkcgm> I think we’re still at DEAR HQ; we’ve picked up a new NPC partner, and… I don’t know if we’d decided yet what we planned to do.
<sila> (When last we saw our heroes, Carne was running for the bathroom and the rest of us were just leaving the conference room, IIRC. Fast-forward to vacation time?)
<sila> (Or trying to big-ify our diminutive new teammate?)
<rkcgm> …after some attempts to fix Carley’s issue with getting turned into a 12" tall fairy, you have… had no success. She’s still short and winged.
<rkcgm> Carley has made use of the time by learning to fly, which occurred mostly without permanent disaster.

  • Ellie participated in the flying lessons as her faerie-shifted self. ;-)
    <ellie> …And helped heal things that would otherwise have been permanent disasters.
    <havrasti> ((only mostly? What small permanent disaster did occure? :P ))
    <rkcgm> Aside from nearly being squashed by her cats and having to wear “old lady doll clothes”, Carley seems to have had surprising success so far at fairyhood.
  • Sila makes sure the relevant cookie recipe gets written down. For Science!
    <ellie> Given time, Ellie might have made her some nicer faerie clothes.
    <ellie> ;-)
    <rkcgm> Carley had already written down her recipe in her (now too large for her to use) iPad, along with all her other experiments to date.
    <sila> Did we manage to learn anything about the dust, so far?
    <rkcgm> It seems to glow right up until the point that it settles on something.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I’m pretty sure it doesn’t make you fly, like in Peter Pan.”
    <sila> "Yeah, we’d have noticed by now if it did.
  • Havrasti already tried that specific experiment
    <sila> “That doesn’t necessarily mean it doesn’t do /anything/ though.”
    <rkcgm> Carley attempts to self-incite a sneeze to get more.
  • Sila snerks
  • Ellie sprinkles a little bit of pepper near her…
    <ellie> Very fine, powdered pepper.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Sns… sns… achoo!”
    <rkcgm> Pepper and fairy dust scatters everywhere.
  • Sila sweeps it off the countertop into her sample baggie
    <llewelyn>: “…My office is going to look like it was visited by a band of ten-year old glitter girls.”
    <llewelyn>: “Also, I think the amount of pepper multiplied from when Ellie used it.”
    <sila> “You’ll never get it all off the duck! At least we have plenty of samples though.”
    <ellie> “…Hm. Well that’s interesting.”
  • Sila looks dubiously at the pepper shaker
    <ellie> “A possible affect of the glitter?”
    <llewelyn>: “I don’t know. And yes, I can get it all off the duck.”
    <sila> “Or the sneeze. I mean, she can apparently make fairy blessings, remember? Maybe our pepper will never run out now or something.”
    <llewelyn>: “I’d rather my root beer never run out.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Not sure I can guarantee that.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…what ARE you going to use that duck for, by the way?”
    <llewelyn>: “Cover.”
    <sila> “What, it isn’t obvious? He’s already using it. For trolling the entire Department.”
  • Sila sticks a tongue out at Llewelyn
    <llewelyn>: “You’ll all eventually see.”
    <ellie> “Llewelyn does like to multi-purpose things…”
    <ellie> "So I’m certain he’s enjoying making it do both.:
    <ellie> "
    <ellie> Ellie winks. ;-)
    <llewelyn>: “So, is everyone ready to travel?”
    <havrasti> “Sila and I’ve got our bags, yep.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Wait! I need someone to watch my kitties!”
    <ellie> “I’m all packed. …Oh. Cat-sitter.”
    <ellie> "Hmmm…
    <ellie> “I have Seth watching Cinnamon Sugar…”
    <sila> “I’m glad we thought of that before portaling…even if it is awfully last minute.”
    <llewelyn>: “I have a plan.”
    <ellie> “Oh?”
    <sila> “Does it involve toasting things?”
    <llewelyn>: “No.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “TOAST? That should have NOTHING to do with my kitties!”
    <llewelyn> nabs a bit of remaining fairy dust on his finger, blows it into the air, and…
    <sila> “Hah, oh, but the last time he made magical toast, we got another kitty out of it!”
    <rkcgm> !7d6: animation magic versus intermediate
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “animation magic versus intermediate”: (3+1+5+2+2+3+4). Total: 20.
    <rkcgm> !4d6: versus
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “versus”: (3+2+1+4). Total: 10.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…waitaminute… you made a bigger version of ME?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…and I glitter.”
    <sila> “Pft haha, the cats will love it.”
    <llewelyn>: “Uh, problems with the working material.”
    <rkcgm> Carley’s doppleganger stares stupidly at the wall, and then waves slowly.
    <sila> "I can just picture them spending the week going ‘sparkly thing must pounce!’ "
    <ellie> “Hehehe. Well… there’s an interesting solution.”
    <sila> “They’ll get tons of exercise!”
    <ellie> “Just need to give her enough… programming, so to speak… to actually be able to care for the cats.”
    <llewelyn> addresses the doppleganger: “Go to Carley’s apartment. Feed and water the cats. Play with them. Do not answer the door.”
  • Sila stage whispers, “Empty the litterbox”
  • Sila stage whispers, “Empty And Refill the litterbox”
    <llewelyn>: “That too.”
    <ellie> “And by ‘water the cats,’ he means, ‘put water in the water dish.’”
    <ellie> “And by ‘feed the cats,’ he means, ‘put food in the food dish.’”
    <rkcgm> The doppleganger nods in a very stupidly comprehending way at Ellie, and then dissipates into a glowing cloud of dust, which migrates swiftly toward the door.
  • Sila bites her tongue until the glitterdust is all gone
    <sila> "Hahaha oh man, can you imagine if it actually did misunderstand the “Feed and water” insructions? I can just picture it with a watering can, hehehe. And then trying to spoon-feed the wet cats HAHAHA oh boy I’m glad we made sure."
    <llewelyn> leans over and pats the stone duck.
  • Ellie gives Llewelyn a raised eyebrow. “Plan on missing the thing? Or on it missing you?”
    <llewelyn>: “It has administrative duties now.”
    <llewelyn>: “So, are we ready to go?”
    <havrasti> O.o
    <sila> “Administrative duties? What’s it going to do, file our mail?”
    <ellie> “Aaah.” Ellie nods dubiously… but not too dubiously – she knows better.
    <havrasti> “…yes.”
    <ellie> “All ready here.”
    <sila> “Just gotta give one last instruction to my desk computer I think. I’ll be there in a sec.”
  • Sila tells her webcam to record, and retain all 5-minute recording blocks in which there is motion recorded. Then, if everyone has conveniently preceeded her out of the office, she slips an egg-shaped field stone under the duck for Llewelyn to find upon return. If it doesn’t move too much, anyway…
    <llewelyn> grabs his backpack, his rifle, and a walking staff.
  • Sila comes out and passes Havrasti his satchel
  • Havrasti slings it on
    <ellie> ((Note: strike from record mention of Ellie having Seth cat-sit…))
  • Ellie has her bags, upon which Cinnamon Sugar is sitting quite proudly.
    <sila> ((does that mean we can see a cat? ;) ))
    <ellie> ((That does mean you can see a cat. ;-) ))
  • Sila eyes Cinnamon Sugar and thinks thought Ellie would object to…
    <ellie> Cinnamon: /I am special! I get to go travelling with Mommy!"
    <rkcgm> Carley keeps in the air, making sure she isn’t within pouncing range.
    <ellie> “You don’t need to be too nervous, Carley – I already told him about you, and that you weren’t to be pounced.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Oh, okay. That’s cool, then.”
    <rkcgm> Carley hesitates a moment, and then dive-bombs into Cinnamon Sugar. “HE’S SO FLUFFY.”
  • Ellie shoots off a quick warning to CS – /Steady!/
    <ellie> “…I didn’t warn him you might dive into him, though…”
    <ellie> Cinnamon flinches a little, but stays admirably still.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Sorry. Moving right along, right?”
  • Ellie grins and pets him. “Good boy.” Cinnamon looks smug and prim and all kinds of pleased with himself. ;-)
    <sila> “Heh. Down to the garage then.”
    <rkcgm> The Seal team is working on one of their vehicles in the garage, but it is otherwise empty.
  • Havrasti chuckles
  • Sila waves at the seals.
    <rkcgm> One of them: “Need us to move?”
    <sila> “Nah, I’m just putting a portal in the corner bay. See you in a few days!”
    <rkcgm> “Okay, later then!”
    <llewelyn>: “Iverindor.”
    <sila> “That’s the target, yes. Uh…just a quick sanity check, but our target /is/ nearest the Circle base, compared to other places I’ve actually been in Esserea?”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, and to the southwest a hundred and twenty leagues.”
    <sila> “Right, right…”
  • Sila commences casting. Crossing worlds to a place she’s never been…can’t be /that/ much harder than hitting Cuba, right?
    <sila> !6d6
    <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (1+6+5+4+1+6). Total: 23.
    <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate difficulty
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “intermediate difficulty”: (1+1+6+4). Total: 12.
    <rkcgm> Sila successfully makes a portal.
    <rkcgm> Five seconds after it stabilizes, it suddenly goes “TTHBBBBT.”
    <rkcgm> …and closes.
    <ellie> “…Hm.”
    <llewelyn>: “Odd… did you do that?”
    <sila> “Um…not…on purpose?”
    <ellie> “Could there have been a portal-blocking effect on the other end?”
    <sila> “And if so, would that be because I aimed it right, or because I aimed it wrong?”
    <llewelyn>: “I don’t know if there’d be a portal-blocking effect or not. If there is, then it’d probably be the Lady’s doing.”
    <ellie> “So… would next best thing be to aim for a bit outside Iverindor?”
    <llewelyn> thinks about it for a moment.
    <sila> “I can try that…It’d be a long flight though, no?”
    <llewelyn>: “So… the next closest place would put us in Starmarch.”
    <havrasti> “Erg.”
    <llewelyn>: “The only place I could assure is safe there would be Talyllyn.”
    <sila> “Where…I really, totally haven’t been. How will I know it?”
    <llewelyn>: “You’ve been to Talyllyn.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “That rhymed!”
    <llewelyn>: “…Talyllyn’s the secret rebel base.”
    <havrasti> ((she probably would have remembered that))
    <sila> “Oh! Right. Well I can get there easy, that’s where I /learned/ this stuff.”
  • Sila forgot the name of the secret rebel base
    <llewelyn>: “Unfortunately, if we have to start at Talyllyn, that’s going to be a bit of a longer trip than I expected.”
    <ellie> “Well, we can fly it, right? I mean… doesn’t make it completely short, but… helps?”
    <sila> “Especially if our passengers are going to be super small.”
    <sila> “…want a cookie, Llewelyn?”
    <llewelyn>: “No, I do not want a cookie. I want a car.”
    <havrasti> “I don’t think the roads are good enough there for a car.”
    <sila> “Got any nice statues you want to pack along? I’m not sure the duck is big enough.”
    <llewelyn> points to where the Seals are working. “Hey Sarge, mind if I borrow the smaller Oshkosh?”
    <rkcgm> Seal Sergeant: “Sure, just bring it back in one working piece.”
    <havrasti> “Guess that means we can lose the cigarette lighter.”
    <ellie> “…Man, he knows how to close loopholes in a deal…”
    <llewelyn>: “…yup. Don’t need roads, the way we’re going.”
    <llewelyn>: “You’ll need to make a bigger portal, Sila!”
  • Sila sighs
    <llewelyn>: “Hey, don’t knock it. It’s heated.”
    <llewelyn>: “You can still fly if you want.”
    <sila> “OK, one unexpected tank for a surprise visit to a paranoid rebel base…”
  • Sila starts casting for her new portal
    <sila> !6d6
    <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (2+2+1+5+6+4). Total: 20.
    <ellie> “And… why are you bringing a jeep?”
    <llewelyn>: “Because it’s heated, and I’m not as hardcore as I once was.”
  • Sila mutters distractedly, “Probably turn the doors into wings and fly anyway…”
    <llewelyn> gets the keys to the Oshkosh. “This is going to look funny when we get to the Northern Marches.”
    <llewelyn>: “But whatever. Sila – portal. We’ll go through first, and then I can drive it over.”
  • Sila spins open a portal. The tunnel includes proper road markings and a sign reading “warning: rough road ahead” :P
    <llewelyn> walks through.
  • Havrasti follows
  • Ellie will ride through with Llewelyn.
  • Sila follows Llewelyn, makes sure there’s no surprised-and-hostile soldiers on the other end
    <llewelyn> waves to the first person that comes running up to investigate. “Decima! You’re looking as surly as ever!”
    <rkcgm> Decima: “Oh, it’s just YOU.”
    <rkcgm> ((Decima is a middle-aged elvish female, well dressed, with a staff and sword.))
  • Ellie kinda grins at that reception.
    <sila> “Should I anchor this for return use, or just hold it open until you drive in your … should I ask how you’re planning to gas that thing in Iverindor, Llewelyn?”
    <havrasti> “Hello, just passing through.”
    <llewelyn>: “Yup, just me. Steel Rose in?”
    <rkcgm> Decima: “If she was, I wouldn’t tell you, Harper.”
    <rkcgm> Another mage shows up. “Harper! It’s been too long!”
  • Ellie mutters to Llewelyn, “Would she tell /me/ if I said Steel Rose was my aunt…?”
    <llewelyn>: “Morning, Daybreaker.”
    <rkcgm> Decima: "I’d tell you that I have exquisite hearing. But if that’s the truth… ahem. No, she’s not in.
    <ellie> “It is true.” Ellie doesn’t show any bashfulness at having been overheard.
    <rkcgm> Decima: “She’s actually raiding across the river, one of the Red King’s strongholds. They think they might be able to catch the Tadhg there, even.”
    <ellie> “Aaah. …I’m sorry we missed her.”
    <sila> “Here’s hoping it goes well, and we go in the precise opposite direction.”
  • Havrasti attention grows, “Oh? The Tadhg?”
    <rkcgm> Daybreaker nods. “She’d be sorry she missed you guys, too.”
    <rkcgm> Decima: “If our intelligence is good.”
    <rkcgm> Carley flutters through the portal. “Oh wow, this place is awesome!”
    <sila> “It’s a nice spot, huh? It’s not bad for family visiting either, just a different family.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “If only I were big enough to fly around without it taking so much time!”
    <ellie> “Heh. We’ll figure out how to fix that eventually.”
    <sila> “We’ll be flying around anyway soon enough.”
    <sila> “Does this really look like a place you /drive/ away from?”
    <llewelyn> explains to Daybreaker (Decima has wandered off, citing that she is ‘very busy’) what you’re all doing.
    <rkcgm> They have a polite conversation, and Daybreaker eventually heads back to her post.
    <sila> “I mean, they get supplies up here somehow, but still…”
    <llewelyn>: “Right. Let’s retrieve the car, and get on the road.”
    <sila> “Bring it through.”
    <sila> “…Hey Havrasti, I’ll bet you the odd-numbered jerky strip that he ends up enchanting it to fly somehow.”
    <llewelyn> walks back across the portal and drives the Oshkosh through.
    <havrasti> “No bet.”
    <llewelyn> brings the car across and sticks his head out of the machine-gun port. “I suppose you want to fly, huh?”
    <havrasti> “It would be a nice change of pace.”
    <ellie> “It would be preferrable, though I’ll ride with you.”
    <llewelyn> glances at the sky. “Yup. I think I’ll, you know, turn the heater on to a nice 75 degrees…”
    <sila> “Just get it off the edge of the portal so I can close it please.”
    <llewelyn> pulls it forward a bit and waits for Ellie to get in.
  • Ellie gets inside and settles Cinnamon Sugar on her lap.
  • Sila closes the portal fully instead of leaving it anchored for later use, since this /is/ a sensitive location and there’s a chance we might not come back this way anyhow.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…I think I’m going to ride in the car, too.”
    <sila> "Yeah, all the benefits of elevation without someone else’s flight wind pulling on your delicate wings.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “That, and it’s probably fifty degrees, and it looks like it’s going to rain.”
    <sila> “So Llewelyn…just to be sure and all, before we head out…can people just fly into Iverindor? If I’m at risk for flying into an invisible barrier, I’d like to be warned.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh, you definitely shouldn’t just fly over the border.”
    <llewelyn>: “When you get to Donal’s Dyke, land at the gate and let me talk to the guards.”
    <havrasti> “Ok.”
    <sila> “Right. Glad I asked.”
  • Havrasti stores their stuff in the oshkosh
    <ellie> “This is part of the advantage of riding along.”
    <llewelyn>: “You’ll definitely see the border, though.”
    <llewelyn>: “Can’t miss it.”
  • Sila shifts and puts her jewel and smartphone in a smaller carry-bag around her neck
    <sila> “Yeah, the no-green thing.”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes. The no-green thing…”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Wait, what no-green thing? I’m wearing green!”
    <llewelyn>: “And the Oshkosh is green. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when we get across the border.”
    <sila> “You’ll get amazing color-changing old lady doll clothes!”
  • Havrasti stretches his wings, “Aaaaah, that’s good.”
    <ellie> ((She’s probably wearing clothes Ellie made for her, rather than the knitted ones.))
    <llewelyn> starts driving once his other two passengers are aboard.
  • Sila takes off, does one acrobatic twirl before settling in for long distance flying
  • Sila expects to be Plenty warm in a few minutes, because Exercise ;)
    <rkcgm> The road he uses is rough – really more the equivalent to somebody’s muddy unpaved driveway – but it’s regular enough that Llewelyn can easily drive just as fast as the dragons want to cruise.
  • Sila roars at Havrasti, “They may have warmer air, but we’ve got a smoother ride!”
    <rkcgm> After half an hour, the road goes across a little isthmus between two lakes and a cold drizzle starts to fall; but ahead another fifteen flying minutes, Sila and Havrasti see that the land turns… white? Yes, definitely white.
    <havrasti> “Indeed!”
    <sila> “That’s gotta be it. …Was it always white?”
  • Havrasti swoops and dives with ease and grace
  • Sila reluctantly lands a the intersection of the white border and the road.
    <sila> “Somehow I thought the foliage would end up yellow or something. Just think what the autumn leaves must be like for people who live here!”
    <havrasti> “Snow, perhaps?”
  • Sila lands and looks closer
    <rkcgm> The border is defined by a deep (obviously intentionally-dug) ditch, with the dirt piled up on the reverse slope. The road comes up to what looks like some sort of large fortified house.
  • Havrasti lands next to the “car”
    <rkcgm> Across the border, Sila is able to see that – although the foliage on both sides hasn’t really started growing for spring – the little bit that has grown is currently white grasses.
    <sila> “The Oshkosh is going to be grey, huh?”
    <llewelyn> gets out in time to hear the comment. “…probably.”
    <sila> "You need us to shift?
    <llewelyn>: “Nope. The border guards have already seen you.”
    <sila> “Well I wasn’t planning on trying to sneak in undetected. Just didn’t know if they’d want to, you know, wave security wands at me or whatever.”
  • Sila is thinking Airport security metal detectors, though magical-type wands are doubtless more likely here :P
    <rkcgm> A troop of said border guards, armed with some seriously wicked-looking pikes, have formed up. They don’t look at all intimidated by two dragons and a big metal self-propelled cart.
    <llewelyn> raises his voice and shouts to the leader. “Go raibh an Tiarna libh!”
    <rkcgm> Commander: ""Agus leat féin…"
  • Sila mutters, “I’m just glad I don’t have green scales.”
  • Ellie is listening with telepathy translation – what are they saying?
    <rkcgm> The commander wanders over closer to the vehicle, eying you all cautiously. “…and who are ye lot? And company with dragons, as well?”
    <rkcgm> In the background, one of the soldiers makes a sign against evil.
  • Sila notices this, but keeps her response down to an ironic snort
    <rkcgm> Ellie: Llewelyn spoke to them with the Iverindorene greeting “The Lord be with you”, and the commander responded “And with yourself.”
    <sila> ((so they’re making the sign of the cross at us? Or some more literally magical warding gesture?))
  • Ellie nods to the guard politely and replies, “Ellie Ross.”
    <llewelyn>: “I am part of Clan Ó Cuinn, and returning to Iverindor with companions after travels. I am Íomhar Mac Giolla Rí.”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “Ah.”
    <rkcgm> ((Yes, making the sign of the cross, and using it as a literal warding gesture beside.))
  • Sila wonders how “Llewelyn” comes out of that, and whether it’s a true name thing
    <sila> “You can tell your men we’re not afraid of the symbol of our Lord and our God.”
    <rkcgm> The commander glances over to Sila. “As the book says, even demons know his name and fear; but if you make the claim to serve the Holy One, then I shall not find it amiss.”
    <havrasti> “We do.”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “Then we have nothing to fear from each other. You are of the Cenél Yephishnaigh?”
    <havrasti> ((translation?))
  • Sila eyes Ellie. “Translation?”
    <llewelyn>: “He’s asking if you’re of Yveshna’s Clan.”
    <llewelyn>: “Meaning, on her side of the war, rather than on Whiteteeth’s.”
    <havrasti> “Ahh, closer to yes. Certainly not with Whiteteeth.”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “…and your Chieftainess would vouch for your behavior within the Lady’s realm?”
    <sila> “Our…? Um. If you’re asking, willy Yveshna vouch for us? I think so. We’ve only met once, but it was a friendly meeting.”
    <sila> ((oops, extra Y there :P ))
    <rkcgm> The commander turns back to Llewelyn. “You say you come from Clan Ó Cuinn? What sept?”
    <llewelyn> sighs very quietly. “…finte Brán.”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “Oh! Why didn’t you say so at once. I shall not hinder your travels any further.”
  • Ellie gives Llewelyn a sidelong glance. Then telepathically pokes him, /Man, you get quite the reception in a lot of places…/ There’s a definite kidding tone to the thought.
    <sila> “Are we good to keep flying?”
    <llewelyn>: <yes,><havrasti> “Yeah, though I don’t know with what. But I guess it’ll let people know somehow.”
    <sila> “It’s OK to put it in my bag though, right? I don’t have to carry it in my hand for it to work?”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “It will be sufficient for you to keep it in close proximity.”
    <sila> “OK then. Thank you. It’s ever so much easier to make friends with people when they aren’t panicking.”
    <rkcgm> Commander: “The spell will wear after seven days. If you need to get another…” *another glance at Llewelyn. “..I’m sure you’ll know where to go!”
  • Sila tucks the rock into her jewel pouch
    <llewelyn> gets back in the vehicle.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…so that was weird.”
  • Sila shakes the water off her wings (away from the soldiers)
  • Ellie never left the vehicle. She nods in agreement with Carley.
    <sila> “Weirder than being a fairy driving across another world?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Well, I suppose that’s weird, too. But it’s so weird that my mind hasn’t bothered processing it at all.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Did they know you or something?”
    <llewelyn>: “Sorta.”
    <sila> “Do we have to call you Iv…Iam…do we have to learn a new given name for you while we’re hear?”
    <sila> ((here even))
    <llewelyn>: “You don’t, but I’m going to use it while we’re here.”
    <llewelyn>: “Since my mother’s family is from Iverindor, I have a translation of my name in this language.”
    <sila> “Should we use our nicknames for avoiding true-name problems, from before? I don’t know what kind of risk factor we’re expecting from local strangers.”
    <llewelyn>: “Íomhar Mac Giolla Rí Clan Ó Cuinn. Yew-warrior, the Son of the King’s Servant, of the Cuinn clan.”
    <llewelyn>: “Shouldn’t be a problem. The only people more dangerous than us that we have any potential of meeting are my grandfather and uncle.”
    <sila> “OK then.”
    <llewelyn>: “…the Ó Cuinns are a midsized clan that’s part of Clan Drugain. But finte Brán – the family of the raven – is kinda well-known.”
    <llewelyn> drives across the border and the Oshkosh turns dull cobalt blue.
  • Sila gets in the air
    <rkcgm> A few moments after Sila takes off, she notices that she seems to have attracted some sort of weird aura.
    <sila> “That’s kind of a pretty color, actually – not very camo friendly, but fortunately we’re not hiding, so…uh?”
  • Sila looks at Havrasti
    <rkcgm> The majority of it is white, but at the edge it darkens to… green.
    <rkcgm> Havrasti has it, too.
    <havrasti> “Huh, some green. My guess was right!”
    <sila> “I guess that’s a pretty good way of saying ‘friendly’ to Ivendorian eyes.”
  • Sila resists the urge to try to blow it away like a clinging cloud. It wouldn’t be effective /or/ wise, after all…it just feels a bit weird.
    <llewelyn>: “If you were friendly, it would all be green; the white means neutrality. The green at the edges, though, means you’re traveling at the Lady’s discretion.”
    <sila> “Good enough. Let’s get moving before my wings freeze up, or that storm really does catch us!”
    <havrasti> “Yes.”
  • Havrasti takes off
  • Sila circles higher and follows the road
    <rkcgm> The western horizon does look very dark. And the temperatures are dropping. And the wind is starting to rise…
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> Last time, you were traveling through Iverindor, following the road along the shores of Loch Thuaidh.
<llewelyn> is driving “the Oshkosh”, a military four-wheel drive vehicle; Ellie and Carley are riding in it with him.
<rkcgm> Havrasti and Sila, however, are flying… which means they are enjoying the lovely weather, which is 40 degrees, windy, and sleeting.

  • Sila is warm because she is /flying/
    <sila> …OK, and maybe just a little because she has a water-redirecting enchantment up at this point ;)
  • Havrasti is definitely getting his exercise this trip. You don’t often see a fat, sedentary dragon, not when there’s flying to do ;)
    <rkcgm> Carley tries looking out the window. “You think we should stop and ask them if they want to ride?”
    <llewelyn>: “I think they’d make it clear when they stop being comfortable.”
    <ellie> “They love any chance they get to fly.”
    <llewelyn> absent-mindedly turns on the radio.
    <ellie> “And back home, they have to worry about being seen.”
    <ellie> “So a chance to fly openly? They’d have to be having a really TERRIBLE time not to take advantage of it.”
    <llewelyn> frowns at the radio. “Pity. No harp music.”
  • Sila notes the new active circuit in the Oshkosh and starts sending a rousing draconic flying song
    <havrasti> (still no harps, though :P )
  • Ellie notices the comment. “…Do they even have radio here?”
    <llewelyn>: “Only so long as Sila is here.”
    <sila> *Radio roars in 4-part harmony
  • Ellie winces a bit at the roaring.
  • Havrasti just has fun swooping and diving, and keeps an eye out for our destination
    <llewelyn> turns down the music. “Could use a little less bass and a little more harmony. At least it’s better than what I heard from the ricer hot-rods coming in to work this morning.”
    <ellie> “Heh. Well. I mean, how hard is that?”
    <ellie> “By the way, how far are we going?”
    <rkcgm> “Well, another hundred and fifty miles, I think…”
    <ellie> “Aah, okay.”
    <ellie> “Just occurred to me – do you have any way of sending ahead to let your family know you’re coming, or are we just surprising them?”
    <llewelyn>: “The border station probably reported in. If they didn’t, we’ll surprise them.”
    <llewelyn>: “My grandfather likes surprises.”
  • Sila has time to reproduce the entire “Rurrin’s Longflight in Major Key” on the way! She even sings some of it aloud up above while she’s at it. :D
  • Havrasti roars to Sila, “We could really use a couple of headsets to talk to them.”
    <rkcgm> In the car, Carley starts talking about some of the movies and books she enjoys.
    <sila> “…and we fly in sun and we fly in rain and if wind force us down, we’ll soon be up again – Oh, don’t worry, they can hear me! And if they need to tell us anything, well, the radio /does/ have a transmitter as well as a receiver. This is an security vehicle after all.”
    <sila> “…where was I? Oh yeah.”
  • Ellie joins the discussion of books and movies, bringing up some to see if Carley has read/seen them.
  • Havrasti flies along until something interesting catches his eye
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Oh, I’ve read that one McDonald book with the princess.”
    <ellie> “Oh, really? The Princess and the Goblins, or the Princess and Curdie? Or have you read both?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Um… I’ve… forgotten. I read it in middleschool at my grandma’s house.”
    <ellie> “Aaah, okay. Well, do you remember…” Ellie goes into a summary of the two storylines…
    <ellie> ( ;-) )
    <sila> hehe
    <sila> ((I read it in college to maintain sanity between engineering classes :P ))
    <havrasti> ((I saw a cartoon :P ))
    <ellie> ((Hehehe. Yes, George MacDonald would make an EXCELLENT antidote to engineering classes. ;-) As to the cartoon… well… I’ve never seen it, so I don’t know exactly how pained to be. ;) )
    <rkcgm> Carley then starts talking about the movies she’s looking forward to (the next Hunger Games, Guardians of the Galaxy, and especially Captain America).
  • Ellie answers as best she can – mostly about how she was amused by Guardians of the Galaxy, since she’s not seen either of the other two…
  • Ellie answers as best she can, though she’s only seen trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy. ((There, corrected :-p ;-) )
    <rkcgm> Havrasti: some interesting things actually do catch your eye. Specifically, at various places around the landscape, there are things that look like mounds surrounded by standing stones.
    <rkcgm> ((They do not appear to be menhirs, but they do have some sort of magic about them.))
  • Havrasti drifts over towards one of them that’s reasonably close to our path to get a good look at it
    <rkcgm> Havrasti determines that the closer he gets, the more he is urged to be someplace else.
    <havrasti> (but the interesting thing is there!!! :P )
  • Havrasti drifts away, then. He’ll ask Llewelyn about it. He dives down to fly just above the Oshkosh. “Llewelyn, what are those mounds and stones?”
    <llewelyn> stops the car. “The barrows?”
  • Sila lands, since the car is stopped
    <havrasti> “Those over there, there, there, and there.”
    <llewelyn>: “Two purposes. First, they’re safe havens for travelers. That’s pretty much all that anyone living in Iverindor could tell you.”
    <llewelyn>: “But they’re also burial mounds.”
    <havrasti> “They gave me the feeling of wanting to be away from them. I guess they don’t count dragons as travellers.”
    <llewelyn>: “Probably because most of the things buried beneath them are dragons.”
    <llewelyn>: “Whiteteeth’s minions.”
    <sila> “…oh. How on Ear- I mean, how on Esserea does that make them safe havens for travellers?”
    <llewelyn>: “Irony.”
    <havrasti> O.o
    <havrasti> “Yeah, staying away. That’s creepy.”
    <ellie> “Why would they make safe havens of dragon burial mounds? I mean… with a more serious answer than ‘irony’?”
    <llewelyn>: “If you see one covered with green flowers, then it’s one of the burial mounds for one of The Lady’s children.”
    <sila> “Are we allowed to visit /those/ or will they try to repel us too?”
    <llewelyn>: “They’ll definitely repel you. Pretty much everyone will be… discouraged from visiting. I’ve only been to one, myself.”
    <llewelyn>: “The legend – which is entirely unsupported by historical evidence – was that The Lady ordered the barrows to be turned into safe havens as a way of… pardon the expression – flipping the bird to Whiteteeth.”
    <sila> “heh, that would sorta make sense at least.”
    <llewelyn>: “Actually – that barrow over there – come on, let’s head in there.”
    <havrasti> “What?”
    <llewelyn> parks the Oshkosh and starts walking toward one.
    <sila> “In spite of repulsion then…?”
  • Sila follows (?)
  • Ellie gets out and follows.
  • Havrasti follows Llewelyn
    <rkcgm> Carley, afraid of being blown away in the wind, sits on Ellie’s shoulder.
  • Ellie is completely fine with this, and tries to angle herself so Carley is more sheltered.
    <llewelyn>: “Just because it doesn’t want you there doesn’t mean you can’t go in.”
  • Sila looks for green flowers, or lack thereof
    <rkcgm> ((No green flowers here.))
    <havrasti> “So why are we coming here?”
    <llewelyn> walks right past the standing stones and into a doorway in the side of the barrow. “Human interest story.”
    <llewelyn> turns around. “I guess that was suitably cryptic. I actually camped in this one for a few weeks, once.”
  • Sila considers the door. Will she have to shift for this one?
    <sila> “So it’s an elven interest story then?”
    <rkcgm> ((Yup. It is pretty much one human wide.))
    <llewelyn>: “You might say so. However, the human part of that story was the interesting person I met, who also camped here during that time.”
  • Havrasti will just stick his head in
  • Sila shifts so she can go in properly
  • Ellie heads in, of course.
    <llewelyn> walks into the tunnel a little bit, and brushes one of the walls with his hand. Glowing white runes light up the passage, which comes to a T, turning left of right.
    <llewelyn> walks into the tunnel a little bit, and brushes one of the walls with his hand. Glowing white runes light up the passage, which comes to a T, turning left of right. The two tunnels open up into a single chamber, about the size of a large living room.
  • Havrasti perhaps ran back to the oshkosh for a change of clothes, as this doesn’t seem to be a thing where he can just stick his head in :P
    <llewelyn> gestures. “The firepit there will burn without fuel on cold days, enough to cook food and heat travelers caught out in a storm.”
    <sila> “Did we bring anything to cook?”
    <llewelyn> chuckles. “This isn’t much of a storm for Iverindor.”
    <ellie> “Heh, so the firepit doesn’t consider today cold, is what you’re saying?”
    <llewelyn>: “I mean that we don’t need to stay.”
    <llewelyn>: “If you want to actually have good food, then we should still try to make Linn Mhuir before evening.”
    <ellie> “Aah. Then are we sitting in to hear your story, or just popping in to have a look around?”
    <sila> “Well of course we’re not staying the night, I’m just saying it’s no like we can stop at a McDonalds for lunch.”
    <llewelyn>: “Just popping in.”
    <sila> “Aw. Oh well, I guess we can eat birds instead.”
    <llewelyn>: “And anyway, now that you’ve been inside one, you know what they’re for – and they likely won’t keep trying to reject your presence.”
    <sila> “Ah – that’s good. Thanks!”
    <llewelyn> heads back for the vehicle.
  • Sila follows, shifting as soon as she has space
    <sila> “I hope this better food also comes with better heat. My clothes are going to be damp as soon as I shift back.”
    <havrasti> “Ok, onward then! Ooh, a flock of geese.”
    <sila> “Ooh! Come back here, lunch!”
  • Sila eats half a flock of geese for lunch. Flying takes a lot of energy, after all :P
    <llewelyn> shakes his head and gets back on the road.
  • Ellie giggles as she also gets back in the car.
    <havrasti> (fast travel now?)
    <rkcgm> With the headwind slowing Havrasti and Sila down, it takes nearly three more hours before you arrive at the outskirts of something resembling civilization – although you’ve passed through plenty of small villages and farmsteads.
    <rkcgm> Linn Mhuir, however, is a much larger city – with city walls, towers that probably were imported from the Renaissance, and some obviously cathedral-like churches.
    <havrasti> “Impressive.”
    <llewelyn> stops at the city gate and talks briefly with the guards.
    <llewelyn>’s chat with the guards becomes substantially more animated when the guard realizes Llewelyn wants him to let a pair of dragons into the city, rather than just being fought off.
    <llewelyn>: “Look, yes, I know this isn’t in your training handbook…”
    <llewelyn>: “Look, they…”
  • Ellie telepathies to the dragons, “Maybe hold up the stones you were given?”
  • Havrasti chuckles and does so
    <rkcgm> The guard appears unconvinced.
    <llewelyn> rolls his eyes. “Okay, you know what… obfuscating stupidity and bureaucratese…”
  • Sila holds up her stone and waves it
    <havrasti> (is that a spell he’s saying? :P )
    <rkcgm> The guard looks back at Sila, holds up his middle finger, and waves it.
    <sila> “Oh, that /that/ was uncalled for.”
    <llewelyn> pulls a cloak out of the back of the Oshkosh, puts it on, waits a few moments as it turns green, and then walks back over to the guard. “Open. The. Gate.”
    <havrasti> ((is that a similarly rude gesture here? :P ))
    <rkcgm> Guard: “Eep! Have a nice day, sir!”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, yes. By the way, are you all out of vacation leave?”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “Er… no?”
  • Ellie telepathies to Sila, /Sorry. I guess the suggestion wasn’t such a good one. But… I suppose that works…/ added as Llewelyn shows his cloak.
    <llewelyn>: “You are now, kid.”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “Thank you, sir. Have a nice day, sir.”
    <llewelyn> heads back to the vehicle. “Kids these days have no sense of respect.”
    <havrasti> “Seems Llewelyn has some clout here.”
  • Sila stomps proudly through the gates. "Maybe your superiors will have pity and send you on a nice weekend trip to learn all about the concept of “professionalism.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Um… isn’t green not a color here?”
    <havrasti> “It must be the color of Special people.”
    <llewelyn> takes off the cloak, and it turns dark blue (like it used to be before Llewelyn put it on). “It’s… complicated.”
  • Sila puts her head down to the Oshkosh windows. “We should probably shift though. Cities are crowded and all. Do you think there’s a convenient place for Havrasti to dress?”
    <llewelyn>: “Guard – please make your guard shack available for two minutes for my associate to change.”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “Sir, yes sir.”
  • Havrasti changes
    <sila> “Hehe. You may have lost your low profile, but it certainly had a salutary effect on the locals.”
    <rkcgm> The guard watches a dragon go in and a human come out. He immediately starts gesticulating wildly to his fellows, complaining about how it’s all terribly unfair.
  • Sila waits for Havrasti to come out, then shifts.
    <havrasti> 9.9 @ the guard
    <rkcgm> The guards all stare at Sila. (One mutters ‘Wow, with that red hair she’s actually kinda-" and is then wapped upside the head by another guard.)
    <sila> (at the guard) “This way you can’t accuse us of sneaking in. All open and honest here, right? Bye now.”
  • Havrasti grins and says a bit louder, “She is very, yes.”
    <rkcgm> Other guard: “Shut up, you buffoon! You want to lose your vacation time, too?”
  • Sila snerks and gets in the car
    <ellie> ((Translation of Havrasti: And VERY MINE ;-) ))
    <sila> ((Yep yep))
    <havrasti> ((heh))
    <llewelyn> mutters as he gets back behind the wheel. “Somebody forgot the first lessons in Iverindorene hospitality.”
    <sila> “No rude gestures at unknown visitors?”
  • Ellie snerks.
    <llewelyn>: “The first rule is ‘The traveller is your brother’ and the second is that ‘Your hospitality will be repaid in kind.’”
    <sila> "Ah. So if he ever comes to Earth, I should make a rude gesture at him then? :P "
    <ellie> “Well, /we/ live under other rules, I think…”
    <sila> “Yeah, the actual golden rule, not the ‘gold-plated’ rule.”
    <llewelyn>: “That would be fair turnabout, but I wouldn’t advise it even so.”
  • Ellie chuckles a bit.
    <sila> “I know, I know, I kid.”
    <ellie> “Of course. Fully acknowledged.”
    <sila> “So how much further is it, as the horseless-carraige drives?”
    <llewelyn>: “Two or three minutes.”
    <sila> “Ah, good, not enough time to get properly cold then.”
  • Sila spends the time drying out her sleeted-upon clothing, making a challenge of using minimal magical energy to achieve the effect
    <havrasti> “That’s one benefit of keeping the clothes in the car.”
    <sila> "Yeah, but on the other hand, I had the option to make a quick shift even if the car wasn’t available.
    <sila> “How are you doing, Carley? Staying warm enough?”
    <sila> “I know Llewelyn’s been running the heater, but with such low body-mass…”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yup. These doll clothes are actually pretty hefty, so I’m pretty warm.”
    <sila> “Good.”
    <sila> (benefit of going the knitted-specialty clothing route ;) )
    <rkcgm> There are a lot of very interesting buildings – all made of stone – and Llewelyn parks in front of one that has a very antiquated look.
    <sila> “The local quarries must be amazing.”
    <llewelyn>: “And welcome to the Oseolteigh. Don’t worry, it’s bigger on the inside.”
    <sila> “…literally?”
  • Sila listens for dimensional magics
    <havrasti> (does it look pretty big from the outside? :P )
    <rkcgm> Sila doesn’t hear anything immediately, but she does eventually pick up something that sounds like the wind sitting still and a stream running backwards.
    <sila> “Hmmm…not a pocket dimension, but /something/ interesting.”
  • Ellie will follow Llewelyn inside whenever he heads in.
  • Havrasti also follows
    <llewelyn> heads up to the front door, where there is another guard. “Five to see the Brendan Bran at his earliest convenience.”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “The Archmage does not take visitors after the seventh hour, sir. Can you return tomorrow?”
    <llewelyn>: “Tell him Íomhar Mac Giolla Rí Clan Ó Cuinn is here. I think he’ll make an exception, even if all he does is lecture me.”
    <llewelyn> winks at Ellie.
    <havrasti> ((hehe))
  • Ellie grins
    <rkcgm> The guard nods politely, lets you into the foyer, and then disappears.
    <sila> “So does he now know your name, or is he just that good at keeping a poker face?”
    <llewelyn>: “I think that’s his poker face.”
    <sila> “Heh.”
  • Sila waits politely
    <rkcgm> The guard returns a few moments later with someone dressed more like a butler or a herald. “The Brendan will see you and your companions, Prócadóir.”
    <llewelyn>: “Ha! Total poker face.”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “If you say so, sir.”
    <sila> “Good job. Much better than the city gate bufoons.”
  • Ellie snerks
    <rkcgm> Guard: “There is a reason we banish them out there, ma’am.”
  • Ellie upgrades the snerk to a giggle, albeit a very slight one.
  • Havrasti mutters to Sila, “Probably not the best place to banish them, makes bad first impressions.”
  • Sila murmurs back “Ah, but on the city, not the household, heh.”
    <rkcgm> Guard: “Fortunately, sir, we have few visitors who have not already had an impression of some sort.”
    <rkcgm> Herald: “Quite true. No one wants to go to Iverindor. It’s cold and it rains all the time.”
    <llewelyn>: “But secretly, all the other lands are green with envy.”
  • Sila laughs
    <rkcgm> Herald: “Quite so, sir. If you would follow me, please?”
  • Havrasti chuckles and follows
  • Ellie grins, and also follows.
    <rkcgm> The herald escorts you through three left turns, up a staircase, two more left turns, and then opens a fairly fancy double wooden door.
    <rkcgm> He raises his voice formally.
    <rkcgm> Herald: “A Shoilse, de réir an grásta ar Dé – an Brendán Brán, Chéad Draoi na Iverindor, bail ar fónamh orthu an Mhuire agus duine féin dá glas, tús na naoi rúin-”
    <rkcgm> Herald (translated): “His Excellency, by the grace of God – the Brendan Bran, Archmage of Iverindor, favored of the Lady and wearer of her green, initiate of the nine secrets-”
    <rkcgm> From the far end of the room, an older man calls back: “Herald, just get to the part where you say ‘Feidhlim Mac Alaois Bran’ so I can greet my grandson!”
    <rkcgm> Herald: “…Feidhlim Mac Alaois Bran!”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Finally! Íomhar, my boy, it’s been eleven years and I’M STILL FEEDING YOUR DAMNED UNGRATEFUL HORSE!”
  • Ellie giggles.
    <llewelyn>: “Your memory’s going, Grandfather. First, it’s been TEN years. Second, the horse has always officially been yours. Third, even if it wasn’t you’d still dote on him. Fourth, the horse is ungrateful because… who raised it to be feisty, again? Wasn’t it you…?”
    <ellie> ((Before the last line))
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Youngsters these days never respect their elders! When I was a youth, I NEVER corrected adults with facts!”
    <llewelyn>: “There’s also a toll bridge to Scamall Naoi that you’re selling.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Of course. An old man has to make a living, tá mé deas?”
    <llewelyn> laughs: “Ar ndóigh, tá ceart agat – of course you’re right again, Grandfather.”
  • Ellie is grinning through this whole exchange.
  • Havrasti can’t help but grin either.
    <sila> “Oh, so cars you make me open a portal for, but the horse you leave with someone else eh?”
    <llewelyn>: “But it’s not my horse!”
  • Sila chuckles
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “So get in here. We’re just about to have dinner. Should I tell Garvan that we’ll actually eat everything he puts in front of us?”
    <sila> “Yes!”
    <ellie> “In fairness, you were opening the portal anyway. He just made you make it a little bigger.”
    <havrasti> “Of course! As long as it’s all meat.”
    <sila> “Don’t be picky dear, we’re guests.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Sorry. We don’t eat meat in Iverindor. It’s against our religion. We only eat boiled cabbage.”
    <havrasti> “True, let me rephrase that to ‘especially all the meat.’ then.”
  • Havrasti is pretty sure he’s joking.
    <havrasti> “I can definitely see where Llewelyn gets it from, sir.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks at Havrasti. “Don’t you know it’s always cold and rainy here in Iverindor? All we can grow is cabbage. All of the cows rotted due to the rain at least a millennium ago.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim delivers this with a straight face.
    <sila> “We live in Michigan sir. If cows could rot from rain, our herd would be in very difficult straits.”
  • Ellie is still grinning.
    <sila> "Anyway, this “rainy all the time” myth is clearly false. We’ve been here a whole day, and not seen a drop of rain – only sleet!"
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Yes; there was a bit of a battle in the west last night, and that’s the result.”
    <sila> “A battle made the weather freeze over?”
    <llewelyn> quickly interrupts to introduce all of you.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Yes; it happens a few times every year.”
  • Sila takes the introductions as a moment to try and figure out if that’s plausible or more joking
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The Lady’s boys have to go take it to a few dragons who try to push the border – not dragons like yourselves, mind; I’m talking about Whiteteeth’s rats.”
    <sila> “Obviously. Got an ice-maker with them, do they?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim waves you over to a very large wooden table, and waits a few moments while a butler and a maid bring out a Whoa That There Is Some Meat.
    <sila> “…if that’s cabbage, I’m gonna start growing a garden, uh-huh.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “That cabbage gave us one grand old fight on our last hunting expedition.”
    <sila> (roast boar?)
    <rkcgm> …It might be a boar. You can’t tell anymore, because it’s been covered in bacon, brown sugar, and baked braided dough which is covered in drizzled honey. You think it’s honey. Might be cabbage.
    <sila> “Congratulations on your successful hunt then. Mm, bacon-crusted…”
    <havrasti> “Yum.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “But you’ll excuse me – I brushed completely over the introductions.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim puts on a pair of glasses, stares for a moment at Carley, and then looks at Ellie. “So, you’re the one who’s having to put up with this vagabond of a grandson, hm?”
    <ellie> “Aaah, heh.” Ellie laughs a tad nervously. “I wouldn’t say the ‘putting up with’ goes one way…”
    <ellie> “But yes. We are courting.” Ellie smiles at Llewelyn.
  • Sila leans on Havrasti and grins at them
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks over to Llewelyn and gives a look: “Well, very good. Very excellent.”
    <llewelyn>: “Stop giving me that look, Grandfather. I AM old enough to pick out a fine young lady without being scandalously young.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “True, you did just turn sixty-five. Not that you ever believed in convention before.”
    <llewelyn>: “I wonder who I got THAT trait from.”
    <sila> “Living in another entire world, not to mention society, doubtless has nothing to do with it either.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Your MATERNAL line, boy.”
    <ellie> At the ribbing of Llewelyn about his age, Ellie bites her tongue. Hopefully the question of her age doesn’t come into things. It’s still awkward enough for her to think about Llewelyn’s actual age…
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim turns and looks at Carley again, taking off his glasses and then putting them back on. “Magical accident?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…yes? I made brownies…”
    <sila> “I still say it’d be a great spell if it was repeatable and dismissable.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Hm.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Not easily dismissible, you say?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “We haven’t figured out how, yet…”
    <sila> “So, unproven.”
    <sila> “It might be very easy if we knew what we were doing.”
  • Sila eyes the bacon-crusted pig
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Tsk. All you need is hair of cat, bark of dog, wisp of cloud, and – most critically – the shadow of a beam of light.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Or, barring that -”
    <sila> “I bet Ellie can provide the last one.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim calls a staff to his hand from one corner of the room, and suddenly Carley is standing there life sized and non-faerie-fied.
    <rkcgm> ((Note: she is actually wearing what appears to be local garb, very fancy sort of gown with some plaids.))
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “…you could also have waited until the morning. That spell seems to have been designed to last only from a midnight to midnight.”
    <ellie> “Aaah. Well, that’s good to know.”
    <sila> “It would be great to talk over the dismissal recipe anyway. We’d probably learn a lot. Maybe after we eat?”"
    <rkcgm> Havrasti notes that, when Feidhlim does the spell, it’s… like minor magic.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Ohhh… so I messed up the time component and didn’t get the dismissal component I wanted.”
    <havrasti> “Seems it certainly was an easy thing to fix, just a hard thing to find.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Indeed. Now, your dragon friends are salivating on my area rug, and I’d prefer to save my staff the cleaning time.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Shall we?”
  • Ellie snerks at the commentary.
    <sila> “Hah. That’s not saliva, it’s tears of appreciation for this incredible work of culinary art.”
    <sila> “So who called ahead, the gate-keepers? Or is it in your glasses or soemthing?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim grins. “Old men don’t reveal their secrets.”
    <sila> “Heh, if you insist.”
    <llewelyn>: “He’s hearing the echo of your current jewel and shapeshifting spells.”
  • Sila sits
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks irritated. “Old men don’t reveal their secrets because YOUNG MEN BLAB THEM OUT ALL THE TIME.”
    <havrasti> “I wouldn’t expect to be able to hide something like that from an archmage.”
    <sila> “Ah, that makes sense. I can only do that well for the one dicsipline.”
    <llewelyn> grins.
  • Ellie giggled at Feidhlim’s irritated declaration.
    <rkcgm> ((I think we’ll pick up next week after dinner.))
    <sila> “Although I suppose by the time I’m as old as an Archmage I’ll have had time to learn.”
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> You are dining with Llewelyn’s grandfather, Feidhlim Mac Alaois Bran, also known as the Brendan Bran.
<rkcgm> There is meat on the table.

  • Sila aims to re-position said meat in the direction of her stomach. …ok, she’ll let the rest of you help :P
  • Havrasti politely digs in
  • Ellie also eats.
    <sila> “Mmm, now this is a pig roast. You chef is a genius. …I wonder if I could re-create it back home?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I wouldn’t know, honestly; cooking is hardly an interest to me. The students and the other instructors like to eat well, though.”
    <llewelyn>: “It’s a substantial improvement from when I was here last.”
    <sila> “What, did you get yourself put on bread and water? Or was this particular cook just not hired yet?”
    <llewelyn>: “Hardly bread and water, but there was definitely an overabundance of boxty, colcannon, and stew.”
    <ellie> “And what are the first two?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks at Llewelyn archly: “She can’t cook boxty?”
    <llewelyn>: “Why would I WANT her to?”
  • Sila mutters, “Unproven…”
    <llewelyn> looks back to Ellie: “Like potato pancakes.”
    <ellie> “It’s hard to cook something you’ve never heard of.”
    <sila> “Potato pancakes aren’t so bad.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The saying among the women goes ‘Boxty on the griddle, boxty in a pan – if you can’t cook boxty, you’ll never get a man.’”
    <havrasti> “Besides there’s lots of other things to cook.”
    <sila> “Yeah – like toast, heheh.”
  • Ellie snickers a little at Sila’s comment.
    <llewelyn>: “And colcannon is like a… mush made of kale and potatoes and milk.”
    <sila> “…speaking of toast, where is the little guy? You didn’t leave him in the car did you?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Mashed potatoes with kale mixed in, yes.”
  • Sila tries not to make a face at the description of colcannon
    <ellie> Cinnamon mews from under Ellie’s feet.
  • Havrasti eats meat
    <sila> “Ah, there you are!”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “And colcannon is hardly bad.”
  • Ellie coaxes Cinnamon onto her lap with a tidbit of meat."
  • Sila treats Cinnamon to a little pork
    <havrasti> “I don’t mind that you don’t know how to make boxty or colcannon, Sila.” ;)
  • Sila laughs
    <sila> “I’ll stick to pulled pork, yes.”
    <sila> “…though potato pancakes really aren’t bad, for a side dish. I do know how to make those.”
    <ellie> “I’ve made hash browns with my dad, at any rate. They’re probably… at least a little similar.”
    <llewelyn>: “Well, Grandfather – you DO remember the person who insisted on cooking the colcannon when I was here, right?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Um… wasn’t it Granya?”
    <llewelyn>: “No – it was Gornflaith.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Oh. Oh dear.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Poor Gornflaith. I miss her.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Not her cooking, mind you.”
    <llewelyn>: “Or her singing.”
    <havrasti> “Who was she and why is she gone?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “…right.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Gornflaith the Righteous. A very… religious girl, very spirited.”
    <sila> “Not so great at boxty, though?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “She moved on and became an Inquisitor when she graduated.”
    <havrasti> “Ah.” (how are Inquisitors in this world?)
  • Ellie is similarly uncertain whether to take this as a good thing or a bad thing.
    <rkcgm> ((Mixed bag in Iverindor. More generally positive than negative, given their roles, but they’re still The Dreaded to your normal person on the street.))
    <sila> “Um, how…nice?”
    <sila> “I’m sorry, the more I think about it the less sure I am of what that actually means.”
    <llewelyn>: “Anyway, Ellie doesn’t need to make either boxty or colcannon, since we don’t live here. How many Iverindor women can play the cello or send text messages?”
    <havrasti> “Or seat passengers on planes?”
    <havrasti> ((iirc, her old job before all this))
    <ellie> “Heh. It would be hard for them to send text messages without a cell phone network. …Or to seat passengers on airplanes that don’t exist over here.”
    <ellie> ((Yep.))
    <sila> “Or fail alchemy-aided hijacking plots on planes, for that matter.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Quite true, boy – your situations are quite distinctly different.”
    <sila> “Or even do the light-shaping thing, though I grant there may be more of those in Iverindor than the US.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks over to Ellie: “It’s just my job to give him a hard time, you see.”
  • Ellie laughs a bit at this. “It’s in every family contract, yes. My dad gave him the hardest time about learning to change the oil in a car.”
    <sila> “You’ve been pretty lucky that way, I guess, eh Havrasti? Though it’ll be interesting to see what my dad gives you a hard time about now.”
    <llewelyn> sulks. “It ought to change itself.”
  • Ellie laughs more. “How do you figure?”
  • Havrasti chuckles at Sila, then turns to Llewelyn, “And just how many mechanical things do take care of themselves such that you’d expect a car to do so, too?”
    <llewelyn>: “If I’d had my way, my car would drive itself down to the mechanic and get its OWN oil changed, thank you very much.”
    <sila> “You know, I never thought about it, but if you were used to all horse-driven transportation, Earth immigration must have been quite a shock.”
  • Ellie chuckles at Llewelyn’s answer, but lets the matter drop.
  • Sila feeds Cinnamon another strand of pork
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim finally leans forward. “So, while it’s nice to have you here, Íomhar, I know you didn’t come just to talk about boxty.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh, I didn’t fool you at all?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I’ve got a hundred years practice at being more clever than thou.”
    <llewelyn>: “Ah, well then…”
    <llewelyn>: “I’m actually looking for a few things. The first thing is a book named ‘An Ionchoisne ar Cód Ceathrú na Scoile Iolairean’ – I’m pretty sure it’s in your library.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The Inquisition’s Fourth Codex of the Iolairean School? That sounds familiar, but if it’s an Inquisition writing, then you should remember that’s in a restricted section.”
    <llewelyn>: “Good thing I know who to ask for permission, then.”
    <sila> “Why are inquisition writings restricted?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim looks wary. “You can’t take it with you until you return all your OTHER overdue books.”
    <llewelyn>: “…what.”
  • Ellie looks at Llewelyn with an arched eyebrow.
    <havrasti> “How many does he have?”
    <sila> “Pft hahaha, this is Llewelyn, probably hundreds, hehehe!”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim grins at Sila’s answer. “Getting warmer.”
    <llewelyn>: “There were extenuating circumstances.”
    <sila> “Are we going to have to go home and scour your appartment for books behind the couch, Llewelyn?”
    <ellie> “Llewelyn… how many overdue books do you have?”
    <havrasti> “‘extenuating circumstances’, eh? Are they recoverable?”
    <llewelyn>: “Not really…”
  • Ellie raises her eyebrow further.
    <llewelyn> glares at his grandfather. “And you’re just giving me a hard time now.”
    <ellie> “Okay, I think it sounds like storytime…”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim grins.
    <sila> “Um. Are we talking, lost in time of war unrecoverable? Or lost in old Cuba unrecoverable? Or lost at sea unrecoverable?”
    <llewelyn>: “Well, time-of-war is… yeah, I’ll go with that.”
    <sila> “Also, can we scan this book, or is it going to be written in that obnoxious moving script the the dragon-slayer diaries?”
  • Ellie narrows her eyes. “THAT is not a story.”
    <ellie> ((To Llewelyn ;-) ))
    <sila> “…ooh, can we rent the setup we used for the Library of Dragons again, and do the whole collection?? At least the unrestricted parts and whatever’s needed for our current investigation?”
    <llewelyn>: “I had them legitimately checked out when the Red King… kinda squashed our uprising, see. And the fortress got nuked from orbit, to use the best analogy.”
    <havrasti> “Ouch.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Yes, which results in the books being quite thoroughly scattered.”
    <sila> “…is there a radioactive crater?”
    <ellie> “Hmm. And is this the book we need to try and interpret the journal? Maybe you should show it to your grandfather, at any rate. He might be interested in seeing it…”
    <llewelyn>: “No, it’s for my own purposes. But he can interpret the script anyway.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “What is this? What script?”
    <llewelyn>: “Pungho Script.”
    <sila> “It’s the dragonslayer diary I mentioned a moment ago.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim’s eyes light up. “You found something written in Pungho Script? Recently?”
    <havrasti> “Yep.”
    <sila> “The monster who wrote it took an involuntary time-jump to the near-past from the much more distant past.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim nods. “Show me.”
    <havrasti> (who has the book?)
    <sila> (I thought Llewelyn did)
    <rkcgm> ((I thought Sila or Havrasti did.))
    <rkcgm> ((Going to fiat that Sila has it.))
  • Sila produces the book
    <sila> “We’re understandably concerned about what it says.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim rings a little handbell and instructs his butler to fetch the Oseolteigh’s librarian.
    <rkcgm> While he’s waiting, Feidhlim leafs through it. “Hm.”
  • Sila distracts herself from pestering him with more bacon-crusted wild pig
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Fantastic penmanship – and definitely written by someone who learned prior to the Third Remove. This has archaeological value…”
    <sila> “I’ll trade you the original for a full translation.”
    <sila> “Earth archeologists probably aren’t equipped to properly appreciate it. And my family is probably more inclined to burn it.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Done.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The number of Pungho documents we have prior to the Third Remove can be counted on one hand. Most people DID prefer to burn them, see.”
    <sila> “There might be reasons for that, but I’ll trust your judgement on keeping this one.”
    <sila> “So, um… /would/ you let me digitize your non-restricted collection? I’d have to come back with some bigger equipment, but it wouldn’t take /that/ long.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I’d have to think about it.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “There are reasons we do not publish it widely.”
    <havrasti> “What was the Third Remove, though?”
  • Sila sighs – apparently it’s not so much “non-restricted” as “less-restricted”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Oh.. sorry. The Removes were a series of purges by the Reino-Liege – the elvish empire at the time – and Iverindorene mages of a series of demon-consorting cults that were amassing power and influence.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The Third Remove took place sixteen hundred years or so ago; one of the most thorough, I must say. Pungho Script was widely used prior to that time to write down the Thousand Mysteries.”
    <havrasti> “I see.”
    <havrasti> ((iirc, 1700 years ago was when Sila’s father and the slayer came from, right?))
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Afterwards, there were a lot fewer people versed in the script, and so it began a series of four morphological changes… aha! Angus Mac Cahil!”
    <rkcgm> ((Yes.))
    <sila> “Yikes. I hope he didn’t spread that demon-consorting part around too much when he got thrown forward.”
    <rkcgm> A middle-aged man – unclear if he’s human or elvish – has entered the room. He’s probably the librarian, from the way he took a look at the book and is gesticulating wildly (and completely silently).
    <llewelyn>: “He’s totally geeking out about it.”
    <sila> “Is he deaf?”
    <havrasti> “Librarians are quiet.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Calm yourself, Angus. You’ll give yourself a heart-attack.”
    <sila> “Most of them aren’t so quiet they resort to sign language.”
    <rkcgm> Angus sputters: “Mrrghlmlblgwheredidyoufindthisit’ssobeautifulIwantohwowit’sprethirdremovelookatitpleasecanhas.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Breathe.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Gasp, yessir.”
    <sila> “So was Lockwood a poet or what?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “A journal written in pre-Third Remove script? I will hug it and keep it and call it ‘Colum’…”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “No, no. The texts themselves are usually quite vile.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “But history!”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “I have never seen such a well-preserved example! All of the letters still live!”
    <sila> “Well I’m still not letting it go without the translation. Some of it is /recent/ history, and we need to make sure there’s no continuing danger to dragon citizens.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Er… explain?”
    <sila> “Time trave.”
    <sila> (travel)
    <sila> “The author got an involuntary trip to 1700-ish years in future, as measure from the time of casting.”
    <sila> “When he arrived, he continued to behave in vile and murderous manner, and collect accomplices.”
    <ellie> “He was… shunted forward about fifty years ago. As in, that’s when he arrived in our time.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Uh. Is the author still ALIVE?”
    <ellie> “He died by his own hand trying to kill us along with him when we defeated him.”
    <sila> “Monster tried to nuke a major city.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Whew! For a minute there I was worried he might still be alive.”
    <ellie> “Not any more, no.”
    <sila> “Well if he was, that would be even more reason to read the book, wouldn’t it?”
    <sila> “Not that I’m not glad he’s out of the way, mind you. He came real close to killing my father, and framing an innocent man for the murder.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Normal.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Did less damage than most, really.”
    <sila> “Should I understand that to mean that most of them were mass-murderers?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Oh yes. The rivers ran red. Babies were eaten and puppies were kicked.”
    <sila> “…I believe that.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Fortunately, there were never more than a dozen of them at any given time.”
    <sila> “I would think the part where they ate hatchlings would tend to lead to a frequent thinning of the ranks, yes.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “That sounds more like the Fourth Remove. In the immortal words of the great historian Diarmaid Mac Piaras, ‘the Great Munching.’”
    <sila> “Heh. That’s one way to put it I guess.”
    <havrasti> “How many Removes have there been?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “You know that somebody’s really evil when elvish empires and the dragon clans unite to turn them into fertilizer.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Seven – three major, four minor.”
    <sila> “Was the seventh one major enough that no more are expected?”
    <sila> “Or is that the sort of thing the Inquisition deals with?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “This book is definitely written in pre-Third Remove script. Look here, at this esrau-fil! This letter is totally not found after Third Remove.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Well. Yes, that’s one of the Inquisition’s things, so to speak. Any time anyone does something bad with magic, or contacts something from the Outside, that’s Inquisition business.”
    <sila> “The Outside of what?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Outside the nine spheres of the mortal universe, of course.”
    <rkcgm> ((Sorry, that was Angus.))
    <llewelyn>: “In other words, we’re talking about the differences between the physical and the spiritual realms.”
    <havrasti> “That’s what I thought.”
    <sila> “Huh. So is this nine spheres business religion or advanced physics?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Er…”
    <llewelyn>: “Supposition and religion.”
    <rkcgm> Angus looks up, sees Llewelyn, jumps about half a foot in the air.
    <sila> “Ah. Too bad, for a moment I was hoping there might actually be study materials on this whole multiple-worlds and inter-world travel thing.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Er, didn’t see you there! Uh. We have some on that. What exactly are you looking for, hm?”
    <sila> “…anything that isn’t just suppositional? I suppose I’ll have to impose upon Llewelyn for translation.”
    <sila> “Though there was some material in the Dragon library too. I really need to read more of that.”
  • Havrasti wonders what those two think about “The Dragon Library”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Oh, you’re interested in practicum. Well, the best option for that is Ríodhgach Ronan Ruadh. That covers both the techniques of the Dirakassene dragons going back to Leto and Artuis, and the elvish channel-spinner and the Merlunian scholars.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Very good book, highly recommended if you ever think you have the talent for portal magic.”
    <sila> “…um, I made the portal that brought us here from Earth. So yeah. I think I have some talent.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Ah, a practitioner, then. Excellent! Far too many theorists about portals and world-crossing…”
    <sila> “Hmm.”
  • Sila thinks it will be interesting to see what the elvish author had to say about Leto and Artoriun anyway
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim explains to the librarian that you want the journal translated in exchange for keeping it.
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Oh! Oh, yes, that will be most excellent. Are you in a terrible hurry? This is probably two or three weeks of work, you see…”
  • Sila eyes Llewelyn. Were we planning on a three week vacation here?
    <llewelyn> shakes his head.
    <sila> “I think we will have to come back for it then.”
    <sila> “I ah…don’t suppose you happen to know why we can’t form a portal locally? Is there someone I have to meet to gain permission or a password, or is it just plain sealed, or…?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “You can’t form a portal in Iverindor without The Lady’s permission. She doesn’t like them. It seems someone misused them in the past.”
    <sila> “I can’t pretend to be to surprised. It is an awfully exploitable skill.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “She automatically rejects any first attempts, and then redirects the second to the ocean.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “That’s actually quite hilarious to watch.”
  • Sila looks thoughtful “Is it terribly difficult to get an audience to ask permission?”
    <rkcgm> Angus chokes on his own tongue.
    <sila> “I’ll take that as a yes then.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Usually. But Llewelyn can get you in.”
    <llewelyn>: “Er…”
    <llewelyn>: “Is this punishment for the library books?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Obviously.”
    <sila> “I don’t want to overdo it too badly Llewelyn, but I’d rather not be coming in to the resistance camp every time we want to visit your relatives, or magic experts. It might draw attention to them.”
    <llewelyn> sighs. “Fine.”
    <sila> “What makes it such a punishment, do you have to wear /real/ dress clothes or something?”
  • Wayfarer snickers
  • Ellie snickers
    <havrasti> “Hehe.”
    <llewelyn>: “You have no idea.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “She’s not that bad.”
    <llewelyn>: “Well, you’d certainly think so.”
    <sila> “Am I going to need five hours of etiquette lessons for a five minute interview?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Hardly. She’s just a bit…”
    <llewelyn>: “Unstable?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Not entirely incorrect, I suppose.”
    <havrasti> “Eccentric?”
    <sila> “I think we figured out the /eccentric/ part when we learned about her reserving a /color/ from usage.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I’m eccentric. The Lady invented eccentric.”
    <sila> “Look at it this way Llewelyn. If we all go to the interview, then you’ll have an excuse to give Ellie an fancy Iverindorean dress and see her wear it.”
  • Ellie snerks a little, and also blushes a little. “I think the more compelling argument would be that it really /would/ be worth it if we /could/ get permission for you to portal here.”
    <llewelyn>: “Hey, I said I’d take you, right?”
    <ellie> “Yes. Just trying to make it not seem so bad,” Ellie grins.
    <sila> “Heh, OK, I’ll stop bugging you about it. Just be sure you /do/ give me /enough/ etiquette lessons. We don’t want her to think American dragons are rude.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Rudeness is not going to be your concern – but oh, I see you’ve got pass-stones, so you should be safe enough on that count, then.”
    <sila> “They’ll expire after a while, though…”
    <sila> “Which might be another issue we should bring up.”
    <sila> “…not that I’m planning to make a habit of coming through the portal in my natural form, if we can portal into the local area.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Yes. If you manage to be fully-recognized as part of the Cenél Yephishnaigh, then it would be of benefit to you should you ever end up here again.”
    <sila> “Hm. Yeah, that’d be good, but…wouldn’t we have to track down Yyvshinah herself to accomplish that?”
    <sila> “Last time we met it was by chance. Sort of.”
    <sila> “I have no idea how I’d go about locating her again. Do you, Havrasti?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Very few people meet her except by chance.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “And most of those who don’t meet her by chance… don’t profit from the experience.”
    <havrasti> “I do not, no.”
    <sila> “Right well…I’m just saying, it could make it hard to request her endorsement, even if she remembers us, which I don’t think is particularly guaranteed.”
    <ellie> “Well, it might be enough to start by talking to the Lady, and going from there.”
    <sila> “True. You never finish any task you don’t start.”
  • Sila tries to feed another pork bit to Cinnamon, but the kitten has fallen asleep.
    <rkcgm> ((How about we end here.))
    <sila> ((OK.))
    <havrasti> ((fine with me))
    <ellie> ((Yeah, seems about a good spot))
    <sila> “Heh, the kitten’s all done in. So, Llewelyn: we’ve got Carley fixed, talked about boxty, got the book translation in progress, and showed off the girlfriend to the relatives. Did you have any other goals this trip, before we started talking about audience with the Lady?”
    <llewelyn>: “Well – I need that book; and a command stone, and the box that I left with you, Grandfather. Also… a glass of water from Seachnall’s Well.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “What, are you on a scavenger hunt or something?”
    <llewelyn>: “What – it’s healthy for you…”
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> Last week, we finished dinner with Llewelyn’s grandfather, Feidhlim Mac Alaois Bran.
<rkcgm> You decided to go visit the Lady, and Llewelyn is apparently on a scavenger hunt.
<rkcgm><rkcgm> Carley: “What, are you on a treasure hunt or something?”
<rkcgm>Llewelyn: “What – it’s healthy for you…”

  • Sila wants to know more about this “command stone” and why Llewelyn needs one…
    <ellie> "You really do like to evade explaining your plans, don’t you, Llewelyn?
    <havrasti> “He thinks he’s a Gandalf.”
    <llewelyn> “I’m prettier than Gandalf.”
  • Ellie snerks
    <ellie> “We don’t want you to be Gandalf. But we would like to know if you have plans you’re not telling us.”
    <llewelyn> “I have plans I’m not telling you.”
    <havrasti> “And now we’d like you to tell us those plans if they don’t endanger national security.”
    <ellie> “Excellent! A good first step! Now, what are they? Or for what reason do you not want to tell?”
    <ellie> (We’ll pretend Ellie and Havrasti spoke at the same time. :-p ;-) )
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I know his plans.”
    Llewelyn looks at his grandfather.
    <ellie> “…So were we supposed to be able to guess?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I think I do, anyway.”
    <sila> “You probably know what a command stone /is/ and why that specific well is considered extra-healthy.”
    <sila> “We require more data.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim winks at Llewelyn: “Nope, I’m on his side.”
  • Ellie gives Llewelyn A Look. “Okay, fine. Not telling us the plans. Option B was telling us why you didn’t want to tell us.”
    Llewelyn considers.
    <llewelyn>
    <llewelyn> “Grandfather, help?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Nope.”
    <llewelyn> “Hm. Well then.”
  • Ellie snerks again. “I thought you were on his side?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I changed my mind. I’m old and wise, and I have the right to do that whenever the occasion suits me.”
  • Ellie chuckles. “Fair enough. I’ll bear that in mind as a reason for changing my own mind, even if can’t claim the ‘old’ part.”
    <havrasti> “So, either tell us more, or perhaps we should get on with business?”
    <llewelyn> “I’m collecting stuff from a project I’m working on. It’s called Operation Darkwing. I’d tell you more, but if I talked about it, it wouldn’t be a surprise.”
    <ellie> “…Does it have to do with that giant duck you’re keeping in your office?”
    <llewelyn> “…Maaaaybe definitely?”
  • Ellie chuckles. “Aah, well, if you want so badly to be mysterious, I’ll let you have your fun.”
    <ellie> “What’s next on the agenda, then?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Are you staying the night?”
  • Ellie looks to Llewelyn for that one.
    <sila> “Unless the Lady keeps very odd hours and grants interviews on very short notice…”
    <llewelyn>: “It’s a long trip to the Great Barrow anyway.”
    <ellie> “So I take it the answer to my question is, ‘Next on the agenda is rest for the evening, so we can get a good start tomorrow’?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Would you like to play a game?”
    <havrasti> “Sure. What do you have in mind?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “A little Iverindor mage’s game.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “It’s called Dara Caisleán.”
    <ellie> “Okay. What are the goals and the rules?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Well, we’ll need to go get the necessary items to play it.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim stands up and heads into his study, where there’s a sort of deep table set up along one of the sides of the room.
    <ellie> On our way in, Ellie glances to Llewelyn. “Next time I’m wondering why you can’t give a straight answer, I’ll know where you get it from…”
  • Sila follows them in, chuckling at Ellie
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Being closed-mouthed about things is an Iverindor national trait.”
    <havrasti> “One wonders why.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim shows you something that looks like a large chess-board, with a set of white pieces in the middle of the board, and four sets of black pieces arranged around each edge.
    <havrasti> “Do they move on their own?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “If they need to.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “As you can see, the black pieces surround the white pieces; and the white pieces have a warlord that they must protect.”
    <havrasti> “Ok.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The white team must get the warlord to the edge of the board, while the black team must capture him or her.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The white pieces have certain advantages, of course, to make up for their positioning and lesser numbers.”
    <sila> “Wouldn’t be that much of a game otherwise.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The warlord is very powerful. There’s also this piece – the enchantress, which can restrict the movement of black pieces.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “And the dragon, which can attack a random black piece.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “If you’d like, we could play against the board.”
    <ellie> “That might be a good place to start.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim nods.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim explains the rest of the rules: white can move two pieces, black moves one. A piece can move to melee or attack at range. There’s the warlord, the enchantress, the dragon, the gallowglass, and the spearmen. Black has four gallowglass and twenty spearmen.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Now – since you’re new to the game – you should have a seat and close your eyes. Sometimes new players have a moment or two of nausea.”
    <havrasti> O.o
  • Havrasti takes a seat
  • Ellie does as she’s told…
    <rkcgm> You all experience a momentary sensation of dizziness before you appear on the board in random roles (on the white team).
    <rkcgm> Sila becomes the Warlord; Carley becomes the Enchantress; Ellie becomes… the dragon; and Feidhlim, Llewelyn, and Havrasti becomes the Gallowglass.
  • Ellie looks over her dragonified game-piece self. “…I’m not sure this was /at all/ appropriate…”
    <sila> “Rawr, I are the leader and stuff!”
    <ellie> “…And I kinda prefer my /own/ dragon form.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Woohoo, I have an awesome staff, and I’m not even dressed like a tramp!”
    <havrasti> “You look like a decent dragon, Ellie.”
    <sila> “Too many real sorceresses in this world for them to get away with that, Carley.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “This game gets really fun when you have a full dinner party of thirty-six.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Remember, Mistress Sila – it takes two enemies to capture you, and you have to get to the board before that happens.”
    <sila> “Right.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim suggests a strategy, and then the explains winning and losing – technically, the two player teams bid on who can win the fastest, and the lowest bidder plays white. But if they don’t win in the time they bid… they lose.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “…but against the board, we have fifteen moves.”
    <havrasti> “Not too many.”
  • Sila looks around. “So do they have to hit me twice, or do two of them have to be able to move onto my square at once?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Two of them have to be in a square to any side of you.”
    <havrasti> “So who decides on the moves?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Once you get the hang of the basic game, there’s the two-stage version, which is why the game is named ‘Second Castle’.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The Warlord has a move, and one of the subordinates has a move – decided upon by the group as a whole. If the warlord wishes, her move can be given to another player.”
    <rkcgm> ((I’m going to roll a 1d20 to see how many moves before we win. And then I’ll see if any of us get knocked out by the black pieces.))
    <havrasti> ((fair enough)
    <rkcgm> !1d20: the number of moves before we win with >15 being a defeat
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “the number of moves before we win with >15 being a defeat”: (17). Total: 17.
    <havrasti> ((alas))
    <rkcgm> It turns out we were a bit too cautious. None of us were actually taken out by the black pieces, but Sila nearly got surrounded three times.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Learning experience. Would you like to play again?”
    <havrasti> “Sure.”
    <rkcgm> !1d20
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “1d20”: (4). Total: 4.
    <rkcgm> It turns out that Carley has powers as the Enchantress to make the Warlord move faster aka cheat capture. So you win in four moves, this time.
    <rkcgm> The black soldiers scuttle back to their places with unaired declarations of hax.
    <sila> “Muhahaha!”
    <sila> “That was a lot more fun!”
    <havrasti> “Indeed.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Very well done.”
  • Ellie didn’t move. That didn’t make it more fun, but it was probably more comfortable. ;-)
    <havrasti> ((so what is next?))
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Do you want to play one more round, and reset the pieces?”
    <ellie> “Yeah, I’d be up for ‘playing’ a different role…”
    <havrasti> “Maybe one of the dragons can be the dragon.”
    <llewelyn>: “Grandfather, you should break out the mounted pieces, too.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Well, if you’d like. Give me a moment…”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim disappears from the board, and a few moments later, some of the spearmen disappear, and one horse archer and something like a war-elephant get plunked down in the playing area.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim’s disembodied voice sounds through the gaming arena: “Now we’re going to mix it up again…”
    <rkcgm> (randomizes.)
    <rkcgm> (Randomizes again.)
    <rkcgm> This time, Llewelyn’s the warlord, Sila’s the dragon, Ellie’s the enchantress, Feidhlim’s still the gallowglass, Carley is a horse archer, and Havrasti is the war elephant rider.
    <sila> “RRAWR!”
    <rkcgm> To counteract the addition of more powerful pieces, the Black side gets a few more weightier pieces.
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Care to bid on how many rounds it takes us to win?”
    <ellie> “I still don’t think I’ve got the feel of the game quite enough to do that yet.”
    <havrasti> “How about 13 moves?”
    <sila> “That first game would’ve taken us, what, two or three more moves? And the second one went like lightning. It seems pretty widely variable.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “How about we stick with thirteen, then.”
    <rkcgm> ((I’m going to switch the roll to 3d5+5 to ensure there’s a minimum of eight moves, then – so we don’t just win in a single move. We’ll say that the 4-move game was eight moves, instead.))
    <sila> “Sure, why not.”
    <rkcgm> !3d5+5: moves to win
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “moves to win”: (4+3+2)+5. Total: 14.
    <havrasti> ((argh :P ))
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “So close!”
    <havrasti> “ARGH! One off!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Aaaugh!”
    <ellie> “…So when we bid on how many moves it’ll take us, what’s our incentive to choose a lower rather than a higher number, again?”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “The team that bids lowest plays white.”
    <ellie> “Aah, okay.”
    <ellie> “Well… we did have one really good game. I’d say, for beginners, we did decently enough.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “Indeed, very well.”
    <rkcgm> Feidhlim: “I’m afraid, though, that this game will be my last for the evening. An old man needs his sleep.”
    <havrasti> “Yes, getting a bit tired as well, a good few hours flight will do that.”
    <ellie> “We probably all ought to rest up, just in case Llewelyn’s secret plots for tomorrow prove to be extra energy-intensive.”
    <llewelyn> snorts. “Unlikely.”
    <ellie> (So, time-skip to tomorrow? Or was this all you had planned for today?)
    <rkcgm> ((I’d actually be fine with this for the evening – there’s one thing for ‘tomorrow’ that I want to plan just a bit more.))
    <havrasti> ((ok))
    <sila> ((all right))
    <rkcgm> ((Shall we end here, then? Short night, but…))
    <sila> ((yeah, quite short, but if you’re not ready for the next bit… and besides, that, there’s us having the sick :P ))
    <rkcgm> ((True.))
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> Last week, you continued visiting with Llewelyn’s grandfather. After a lovely meal and a few games, you headed to bed.
<rkcgm> You wake up to sunlight peeking through the cracks of the shutters, and smell the scent of fresh baked goods.

  • Sila dresses and goes to see who is baking, and whether Llewelyn will give her an excuse to tease him about Cinnamon Toast :P
  • Havrasti comes down for food (easily manipulated dragon :P )
    <llewelyn> isn’t to be seen, but one of the servants is setting out a big pan of… hrm, it looks like… some kind of fritters?
  • Sila sniffs to identify filling?
    <rkcgm> Some cream cheese filled, some berry filled.
  • Ellie awakens to Cinnamon Sugar pouncing her and mewing hungrily. Alarm Clock Cat for the win!
  • Ellie pats his head sleepily, but eventually drags herself out of bed, dresses, and tromps downstairs to join the other. Cinnamon follows at her feet, alternately head-nuzzling her legs and mewing.
    <rkcgm> Carley walks out, tugging uncomfortably at the collar of her locally-provided dress. “Aargh, I can’t figure out how to do this help.”
  • Sila snags a cream cheese if the cook is ready to let her
  • Ellie looks up somewhat sluggishly. With her mom’s background in fashion, though, she sees how the dress is supposed to be arranged and goes over to help Carley with it.
  • Havrasti does not offer any help what-so-ever
  • Sila shakes her head. “If I had to be hatched in a humanoid culture, I’m glad it was modern America, where a woman can put on a simple shirt and pants and be done with it if she wants to.”
  • Ellie grins. “Awww. The dress may be fiddly, but I do think it has an elegance about it…”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Oh, it’s actually really comfortable to wear, but I just couldn’t tighten that… what did you call the vest again?”
    <sila> ((bolero?))
    <ellie> “It’s a [insert proper technical term ;-)]. And there, looks just right now.”
    <rkcgm> Two of the servants, seeing that most of you are up now, start bringing out more breakfast foods, which include hashed potatoes, eggs, fruit, more baked goods, and a plate of cheeses.
    <havrasti> “Yum! So, after breakfast what is the plan for the day? I don’t suppose the Lady will be seeing us this soon?”
  • Sila is mildly disappointed that they seem to have used up the bacon on last night’s dinner, but makes do with eggs instead ;0
    <sila> (( er, emoticon typo. ;) ))
    <rkcgm> The servants also bring out… um, is that some kind of…
    <rkcgm> Carley drinks some of it.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…is this punch with… rum?”
  • Ellie takes some of each food item, sharing some of the eggs with Cinnamon.
  • Sila sniffs the beverage. Alcoholic?
    <rkcgm> ((Mildly.))
    <sila> “Huh. Seems early in the day for it. Is this one of those places you need it for food safety, do you think?”
    <rkcgm> Carley drinks some more. “I’m not driving, right?”
    <llewelyn> is still nowhere to be seen.
    <sila> “Well I’m quite possibly flying and/or casting, so none for me.”
  • Ellie sends out a telepathy query for Llewelyn: /So, where are you? No breakfast?/
    <rkcgm> ((Roll versus very difficult.))
    <rkcgm> !6d6: versus
    <rkcgm> ((Oh hi dice. :P ))
    <havrasti> ((well, we had a bot earlier :P ))
    <havrasti> ((and it’s still offline))
    <rkcgm> ((Hm, well then.))
    <rkcgm> ((Looks for physical dice.))
    <sila> I happen to have 6 d6s here
    <sila> 654432
    <rkcgm> 543311
    <ellie> 6,5,3,2,1,1
    <sila> (have them still sitting here at the desk in a nice roll-catcher from the last time we had this problem ;) ))
    <rkcgm> Ellie picks up Llewelyn very distantly, and there seems to be a weird echo going on in the telepathic communication, but… “Hm? Oh, morning, my sweet.”
  • Ellie replies, /Morning. Where are you?/
    <llewelyn>: “Library. Restricted section. Are you up?”
  • Ellie anwers, /Yep. In the kitchen getting food. Am I correct in assuming we wouldn’t be allowed to join you in the restricted section?/
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, that’s right. Um… I’m nearly done with my research, so… maybe another thirty minutes or so? If you finish breakfast and want to wait in the regular part of the library…”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh, and my grandfather had to leave; some urgent business out east. I said goodbye already; we can leave for the Barrow after I’m done.”
  • Ellie answers, /Okay. I’ll let the others know./
  • Ellie speaks up. “So, when we’re done eating, we can go wait for Llewelyn in the library. He’s in the restricted section, and we won’t be able to go there, but he’ll meet us out in the regular section. We’ll be heading out once he’s done; apparently his grandfather had to leave, so nothing more to do here once Llewelyn is finished with his research.”
    <sila> “Huh, so we really are going off to see the Lady first? Or are we doing prank-generation scavenger hunt first?”
    <havrasti> “Waiting in the library for a bit is fine with me.”
    <ellie> “Going to see the Lady, from the sound of it. If Llewelyn planned a stop on the way, he didn’t mention it.”
    <sila> “OK, last fritter then…”
  • Ellie also finishes up munching a few more things…
    <ellie> As does Cinnamon Sugar, who makes very sure he’s not forgotten. ;-
    <ellie> ;-)
    <sila> “Speaking of fashion. Can you imagine my poor dorm-mates in college, having to share a cafeteria with me? I told them my figure was magic, but they didn’t believe me, heheh.”
    <ellie> “Heeee! Oh dear.”
    <ellie> “Were they all jealous?”
    <sila> “They were So jealous.”
  • Ellie chuckles
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yup, I agree.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: "I put on fifteen pounds my first semester of college because of that STUPID free ice cream service.
  • Ellie chuckles. “‘Free’ can have a dark side. Who knew?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Well, I sure didn’t. But boy, did I learn.”
    <sila> “Hee. Yeah, a lot of people had that problem, freshmen year especially. So of course they kept trying to tell me I was going to turn into a blimp, eating so much when I’m so small. I couldn’t exactly tell them I flew it all off and then some on weekends when I went hunting.”
    <ellie> “You probably also couldn’t tell them what your dragon form weighed,” Ellie smirks.
    <havrasti> “And no doubt ate a lot more than they saw you eat in a single sitting.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yeah, okay… I just joined the college rowing team.”
    <sila> “Hahaha! Oh man. That would’ve been good for a few priceless faces.”
    <sila> “…come to that, I’m not sure I know. I don’t exactly fit on a bathroom scale in full form.”
    <ellie> “I… somehow escaped paying any attention at all to my weight going through college…”
    <sila> “Healthier than trying to live on all-you-can-eat salad bar and wondering why lettuce doesn’t keep you from gaining weight when you cover it in ranch dressing…”
    <ellie> “Heh. There is that. Any case… we all ready to head to the library? …If so, all we need to do is ask for directions…”
    <rkcgm> A servant comes into the room to pick up empty plates.
  • Havrasti hails one of the servents for that question
    <rkcgm> The servant stares at Havrasti and responds in Iverindorene.
  • Ellie ‘listens’ for telepathy translation.
    <rkcgm> Servant: “I don’t speak your language, sir.”
  • Ellie steps in, re-asking the question, providing telepathy support.
    <sila> “…nuts. We’re not going to be able to read much in there, are we?”
    <havrasti> “Maybe they have picture books?”
    <rkcgm> Servant: “Oh! The library? Let me show you there, miss.”
    <sila> “Hm. Maybe something in the way of a bird-watching book or something, I guess…”
  • Ellie stands, adding, “C’mon, she’ll show us the way.”
    <sila> “I’d rather read about dad’s world-walking theories, as recalled by 2000-years-later elves.”
  • Sila follows
    <rkcgm> The servant shows you to a pair of very thick wooden double doors, which are guarded by a pair of men armed with menacing-looking pikes. They don’t appear to object to your presence.
    <sila> “Huh. Don’t see that at libraries much.”
  • Ellie addresses one of the guards. /Our friend is in the library. He told us to come wait for him in there./
    <ellie> She does speak aloud as well…
    <ellie> (ie. she’s just doing telepathy translation, and I mis-punctuated it)
    <rkcgm> The guard just nods at Ellie.
  • Ellie goes to open the door, then…
  • Havrasti goes in
    <rkcgm> The guards don’t seem to object in the slightest to Havrasti and Ellie going in.
    <rkcgm> Beyond the doors, the library… is awesome.
  • Sila follows of course
    <rkcgm> The main hall of the library appears to be five stories tall, with terraced shelves going up towards the roof. But beyond the main aisle, there are dozens of apparent reading nooks and little passageways, some of which have iron gates.
    <sila> “Whoo. Wait half an hour he says. Good luck finding me in half an hour! I’m going to go look for …picture books, I guess.”
  • Sila wanders around looking for English titles or failing that a section with lots of nature-themed covers where she might find the afore-posited birding book or something like that.
  • Havrasti goes along with her. Hey, maybe they’ll find a nature book on dragons and similar creatures here.
    <rkcgm> Sila has a difficult search for those, which ends when she finds a shelf full of books written in English.
    <sila> “Ooh, readables!”
    <rkcgm> Unfortunately, they’re all by Samuel Johnson.
    <sila> “…huh. The title is The Plays of William Shakespeare, but the author isn’t… oh, I see, it’s an editor.”
    <rkcgm> A voice comes out from between the books Sila is looking at. “Do you need recommendations?”
    <sila> “…”
    <sila> “Um, I really need a translator actually. Who is asking?”
    <rkcgm> The librarian appears from the next aisle over. “Angus Mac Cahil, at your service, madam! We met last evening when you brought me that lovely journal.”
    <sila> “Ah yes, another case of needing a translator, heh.”
    <sila> “Pleasure to see you again.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Likewise!”
    <rkcgm> Angus is loud for a librarian.
  • Sila holds up the collected Shakespeare. “I was looking for anything in my primary language, but it seems this is the only author available, and I own a rather newer edition of Shakespeare’s works myself.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Ah. Regrettably, our source of English-language texts is largely constrained to a large quantity of…” disgusted face “…financial journals from Alindon, which is the only thing they write that has even a modicum of quality and content.”
  • Sila snerks
    <sila> “You should make Llewelyn send you some. He has access to a massive body of English-language literature /from another world/ after all.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Now, I will show you – all my visitors do LOVE this book.”
    <sila> “It might not be quite a fair replacement for the lost books, but it would be something.”
  • Sila lets Angus lead her to the book in question
  • Ellie follows along. She was hanging about, holding and petting Cinnamon.
    <rkcgm> Angus heads over, unlocks one of the iron gates, and retrieves a thick leather-bound book that has funky words on the front. The letters momentarily re-sort themselves into English to say: “Biography of the Reader.”
    <sila> (Aside to Ellie) “I wonder what the folks here would make of Harry Potter? hehe.”
    <ellie> “Heh. That’s… an intriguing question, really…”
  • Ellie sees the cover. “Huh… Well now… that looks interesting. Does it… read the reader’s mind or something?”
    <sila> “At least it gets the reader’s language right. That’s pretty impressive right there, actually.”
    <havrasti> “How about Narnia or Lord of the Rings?”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Indeed! It also tells you ways your life might have taken a turn for the… different, I suppose.”
    <rkcgm> Angus waves it at Sila. “Go on!”
    <sila> “…OK, this I’ve got to see.”
  • Sila opens the book
    <ellie> “…Hm. Sounds like it could be interesting. …Or troubling.”
  • Ellie asides to Havrasti, “Well, those would be worthy additions to any library, regardless, so…”
    <sila> “I bet I give it tons of scope. Just think of all the different time periods my mother could have chosen to hatch me!”
  • Sila starts reading, aloud so everyone doesn’t have to crowd over her shoulder
    <havrasti> “Wow, yeah, lots of potential. Though perhaps it’s based more on your own choices, rather than your mother’s.”
    <rkcgm> The first half of the book is, as it turns out, a very detailed biography of Sila’s life.
  • Sila flips forward several times, as she is familiar with this material ;)
    <havrasti> (plus skipping the embarassing parts? :P ;) )
    <sila> “…Hmph, opinionated artifact. Who told you dumping him was an overreaction?”
    <sila> ((that too :P ))
    <rkcgm> ((Havrasti is correct – sometimes the book narrates the uncomfortable truths.))
  • Sila does not read aloud the part about her breakup with the British elf
    <rkcgm> ((Tsk. :P ))
    <sila> ((for some reason can’t imagine why <.>< >.> ))
  • Ellie is confirmed in all her opinions on whether it would be such a brilliant idea for her to read this book. :-p
    <rkcgm> Sila reaches the present day and finds the last chapter, which starts with a single line saying “Are you sure you want to read this part?”
    <sila> “That’s why I skipped forward, book.”
  • Sila turns the page.
    <havrasti> “A touch ominous.”
    <sila> “Well, like you said, it could be disturbing.”
    <rkcgm> Sila starts reading about how, even though she totally freaked out when she learned Luke Hanley was actually an elf… she stuck around and married him anyway. This means that she was living in Britain when she was found and killed by Lockwood and his team of dragonslayers. Luke, in turn, teamed up with brother Sam and killed Lockwood… and both died doing so.
    <sila> “Ugh. I’m grateful to God that THAT didn’t happen.”
    <havrasti> “Indeed.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “…that’s actually one of the most depressing alternatives I’ve heard so far.”
    <rkcgm> Angus eyes the rest of you. “It’s not always that gloomy.”
    <ellie> “But which do people regret reading more – the gloomy ones, or the really, really bright ones?”
    <havrasti> “Eh, as long as it’s just in the book, and not real life. What would actually be worse would be to read an alternative that was better than what actually happened.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “The bright ones, every time.”
    <sila> “Yeah, being jealous of your hypothetical different self would kind of stink.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Usually, it’s just… different. Like my alternative tells about what would have happened if I’d gone with the Tributary Levy to the Barrow, rather than becoming a librarian. Not really better or worse, just… different.”
    <sila> “I can see why you show visitors, though. It’s a book where you need someone else to read it to learn anything new.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Can I look for myself? I mean, I guess it’d tell me how my life would be different if I didn’t turn a bunch of kindergarteners into Hulks.”
    <havrasti> “Less interesting, no doubt.” ;
    <havrasti> ;)
    <sila> “Sure. Though it might go back further you know. What if you’d never become a teacher in the first place?”
  • Sila makes room for Carley
    <rkcgm> Carley has a quick browse through her biography section, blushes and quickly skips the high school part, and heads straight for the last chapter.
    <sila> “Hehe, I bet if the book biographied itself, it’d have a paragraph about how most readers skipped to the end.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “…uh. You’re right. This actually talks about how I chose to take a nursing major in college, met a guy sophomore year, dropped out of nursing, and currently work as a…”
    <rkcgm> Carley gulps. “Manager of a Taco Bell.”
    <sila> “Eugh.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “But it says I’m mostly happy.”
    <sila> “…hahaha. Now I’m imagining if you accidentally turned a bunch of 11:30 Taco Bell patrons into hulks, instead of kindergarteners!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yeah, this last paragraph seems to hint that’s what would eventually happen.”
    <sila> “Hehehe, or a shift-full of high school employees!”
    <ellie> “Make your choice, adventurous stranger./ Ring the bell and bide the danger,/ Or wonder, til it drives you mad/ what would have followed if you had,” Ellie mutters to herself as the discussion of Carley’s reading wraps up. She’s a tiny bit curious, but mostly telling herself to make a wiser choice than Digory. :-p
    <sila> “Manager Carley, what happened to your store? Well, I think the breakroom snacks, um, went bad…”
    <havrasti> “Either way, interesting disaster.”
    <sila> ((I thought of that reference too))
    <ellie> ((Hehe! We really DO think too much alike :-p ;-) ))
    <rkcgm> Carley shoves the book at Ellie.
    <sila> ((I actually looked up Jadis’s name to mention it, but by the time I found it conversation had moved on))
  • Ellie conveniently has an armful of cat. :-p
    <ellie> “Haven’t decided if I want to read it.”
    <sila> “Do you know what Llewelyn’s alternate is about?”
    <rkcgm> Carley shrugs and hands the book Havrasti’s direction.
  • Havrasti will take a read, sure.
    <sila> (asking Angus)
    <rkcgm> Angus: “I don’t recall. It was twenty years or so ago that he last read it.”
  • Havrasti reads to himself at first, getting an idea of what’s in there.
    <rkcgm> Havrasti finds in his alternative-biography about how, after he was rescued from Starmarch by Steel Rose, he remained in Esserea rather than taking the option to go to Earth. After some (abbreviated) hardships, he ended up with a mate (not Sila) and several offspring, and lives in Alamanche, trying to help his parents search for the lost dragon library.
    <havrasti> “Hmm, yeah, different.”
  • Sila tries to read over his shoulder
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Well, that’s about what most people seem to get.”
    <sila> "This Delturr…I dislike her. :P "
  • Ellie chuckles.
    <ellie> “Now, now, Sila – you ended up marrying someone else in yours, too.”
    <havrasti> “Very possessive, dragonesses.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “But it said that she’s nice and they’re in wuuuv.”
  • Sila laughs
    <sila> “Well I bet if we go back a few pages it will say something similar there, so that’s OK really.”
  • Ellie shrugs. “Okay, fine, I’ll read it. Probably not out loud at first, though…”
    <rkcgm> Ellie’s alternative story is how, somewhat at the last moment, she decided against going back to work as an airline stewardess. The plane she was supposed to take disappeared, sparking one of the greatest aviation mysteries of the modern age… but Ellie didn’t care, because about three months later, her mom “returned from the dead”.
    <sila> (while Ellie is reading to herself) “Besides, we got to actually Find the dragon library. …I’m an idiot, why was I looking for English texts when I should have been looking for the draconic section here?”
    <ellie> “Hmm. …Interesting.” Ellie shrugs, and shares the summary with the others.
    <havrasti> “That would be nice, yes.”
    <havrasti> @Sila and draconic books
    <havrasti> “Well…. I glad you decided to stick with the airlines.”
    <sila> “Heh, yeah, Cinnamon is happy too. He never would have been your toast if you’d missed that plane.”
    <llewelyn> pops out of one of the side-passages, letting himself out through one of the creaky iron gates. “What’s this?”
  • Sila scritches Cinnamon behind the ears
    <ellie> “I’m kinda happy that I ended up with my mom back either way, at least.”
    <sila> “We’re reading ‘Biography of the Reader,’ Llewelyn.”
    <ellie> “Aah, hi Llewelyn.” She holds up the book. “I hear you’ve seen this before.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh, that one? Yes, it’s interesting.”
    <ellie> “So, what was your alternate future? …Though I’ll bet it’s changed since you’ve last read it.”
    <llewelyn>: “It almost certainly has not.”
  • Ellie raises an eyebrow. “Oh?”
    <llewelyn> smiles. “Well, the alternative it proposed for me when I read it… oh, probably fifteen years or so ago? That alternative was pretty distinctly different.”
    <sila> “Where did it branch for you?”
    <llewelyn>: “The alternative it proposed was would have occurred if I hadn’t become a Christian when I did. The narrative still had that happen… just at the very end.”
    <ellie> “Aaah, hm.”
    <sila> “Sounds scary.”
    <sila> “Something to thank God it didn’t happen, like mine.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh? What was yours?”
    <sila> “Oh, I freak out less about Luke’s scary elf boogeyman-ness and end up staying in England, but then Lockewood finds us, and ends up killing Me, Sam, and Luke before he’s taken out. And I guess dad never gets to the present, so actually him too.”
    <llewelyn>: “Ah, yeah… I can understand that.”
    <llewelyn>: “So… are you guys ready to leave? Or are you still discovering the wonders of the library?”
    <ellie> “I’m ready whenever you are.”
    <sila> Actually, speaking of dad – it just now belatedly occurred to me that maybe I should have been searching the draconic section for that treatise on Leto’s world-walking magic…"
    <sila> “But if our next errand prospers, I can come search for it another time I guess?”
    <havrasti> “If it’s not in the restricted section.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Oh, if you’ll be back in a few weeks, I’ll reserve it for you!”
    <sila> “That works! We have to collect Llewelyn’s apology donation anyway.”
    <rkcgm> Angus: “Yes… Ríodhgach Ronan Ruadh, I’ll need to find it again… and I’ll have to reserve it… yes, yes…”
    <rkcgm> Angus gets on a rolling ladder, mumbling to himself, and starts scooting it back into one of the more cluttered sections. He disappears, although you hear him talking to himself for several more minutes.
    <ellie> “Well, sounds like we really are good to go now.”
    <havrasti> “Yep.”
    <sila> “We can plot our addition to Esserea’s body of English literature while we…walk? Fly? Drive?”
    <llewelyn>: “Well then. My grandfather had to leave early to deal with an issue in Tun Maór, so we can show ourselves out.”
    <havrasti> “Lead the way, sir.”
  • Sila follows Llewelyn, since he knows which way is “out” from here
    <llewelyn>: “And yes, we ought to drive. It’s probably a hundred twenty miles to the Great Barrow; although the road is excellent.”
    <llewelyn> heads outside. Carley gasps. “WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SKY?!”
    <llewelyn>: “Huh? What about the… oh, yes.”
    <sila> "Too thickly inhabited for dragons, do you – " *looks at the sky
  • Ellie looks up, as well.
    <rkcgm> Iverindor’s sky – clear, unlike yesterday – looks like a multifaceted pale blue diamond from horizon to horizon. Cue dragon hoarding instinct.
    <sila> “…is that a /thing/ up there? Can we fly up to it??”
  • Ellie tilts her head to the side. “Hmm, it’s pretty. What causes that affect? I mean, I presume it’s something the Lady does, but…”
    <havrasti> “Shiiiiiny.”
    <llewelyn>: “…yeah. The Lady does that.”
    <ellie> “How? And why?”
    <llewelyn>: “Because she can, I think. I don’t know how… maybe some kind of crazy lightbending thing, but who knows?”
  • Ellie shrugs. “Well, it’s pretty, at any rate.”
    <sila> “I really, really want to see if it’s something you can fly up and touch. But that might not be wise, I suppose. Maybe we can ask her.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Well, I’m definitely impressed.”
  • Ellie gets in the car once Llewelyn’s opened the door for her.
  • Sila contemplates the car door with disfavor
    <llewelyn> gives Ellie a pleasant smile as he opens and then closes the door for her.
    <sila> “Would it be bad to fly again? I mean I don’t want to scare the whole city but…”
    <llewelyn>: “Just wait until we get outside the city, if you please.”
    <sila> “All right.”
  • Havrasti helps Sila in
  • Havrasti also puts his arm around her when they’re in, something much harder to do while flying ;)
    <rkcgm> ((It’s easy to do, it just has unpleasant consequences. :P ))
    <havrasti> (( :P ))
    <sila> ((It’s easier to get the person to stop trying to evade when on the ground :P :) ))
    <ellie> ((Also, you don’t plummet straight to the earth directly afterward. ;-) ))
    <rkcgm> ((Indeed.))
    <rkcgm> ((So, let’s go ahead and end here.))
  • Sila spends the part of the drive where they’re in the car expanding on the list of books that “Llewelyn” should donate
    <ellie> ((Hehehe))\
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<llewelyn> “So I took my friends to Iverindor to meet my grandfather while I picked up a few items, and found a translator for Lockwood’s journal.”
<llewelyn> “Unfortunately, one of the things I wanted to get was a command stone… which I can only get from the Lady, who I didn’t really want to go visit.”
<llewelyn> “…and Sila needs to ask the Lady’s permission to make portals in her territory.”
<llewelyn> “So we’ve driven four hours from Linn Mhuire to the more remote northwest of end of Iverindor, where the Lady lives in the Great Barrow, on a peninsula that juts into the Western Ocean.”
<llewelyn> “Yay. What… fun we are going to have.”
<havrasti> (( hehehehe ))
<sila> “I’ve been trying to find a chance to ask this all day – What is a command stone?”
<llewelyn>: “It’s a sort of small gemstone that can be used as the focus for a spell.”
<llewelyn>: “Most Esserean mages end up setting something similar in… eh, a staff, or a wand, or a necklace.”

  • Sila reflects that if Llewelyn wants to get a laugh out of Mr. TV Tropes, playing “narrator” like that every time they arrive at a destination next visit will work too.
    <sila> "What, and your staff doesn’t already have one?
    <llewelyn>: “No, I’ve never had need of it before. I tend to cast more off-the-cuff.”
    <sila> “Is there any chance you’re going to /put/ it in your staff, as opposed to in an oversized bath toy?”
    <llewelyn>: “I was thinking of mounting it in the handle of a snowshovel, actually.”
    <llewelyn> might grin mischievously at that.
    <ellie> “You really, really like sounding off-the-wall, don’t you?” Ellie jibes with a wink at Llewelyn.
    <sila> “So if every Esserean mage and his apprentice uses these, how come you can ‘only’ get one from the lady?”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, and I’m afraid I have no good excuse.”
  • Ellie grins and shakes her head, leaving him time to answer Sila’s question.
    <havrasti> “Maybe he wants a specific kind or quality that he can only get from The Lady.”
    <llewelyn>: “Not everyone uses them. Think about it this way – you can be a musician without owning sheet music, but some times you need to get sheet music to play something particular.”
    <sila> “Sure, it just doesn’t sound like something that should be all that rare. Sheet music is a specialty item, but there are still multiple producers.”
    <llewelyn>: “And I’m sure that the next time I visit Ruadhri, he’ll be happy to grant me a command stone.”
    <sila> “…so, what, they’re usually government controlled?”
    <ellie> “So in short, this is something you have to be exceptionally powerful to make…”
    <ellie> Ellie’s guess followed close on Sila’s.
    <sila> “If that was the whole deal, we could ask your mother, heheh.”
    <llewelyn>: “Tried that.”
    <ellie> “What, she wanted to know what you were going to do with it?” Ellie jokes with a grin.
  • Sila snerks
    <llewelyn>: “She can’t make one on Earth. Lack of materials.”
    <ellie> “Aaaah.”
    <sila> “Oh. …we should bring back some raw materials too, then.”
    <ellie> “And in the meantime, we should maybe head inside?” (We have arrived, correct?)
    <sila> “What, you don’t want to just sit in the Oshkosh talking?” :P
    <rkcgm> ((Uh, almost?))
    <sila> ((and here I thought Llewelyn was So excited about going in, he was just…not…moving. Yet.))
    <ellie> “Well, y’know…” Ellie answers Sila. ( ;-) )
    <rkcgm> The road you’re driving on comes over the crest of a hill and looks across a small valley, which is noteworthy for several reasons.
  • Havrasti makes mental notes
    <rkcgm> In the center of the valley is a giant hill or mound, shaped like a dome, and surrounded by hundreds of standing stones. Six much smaller barrows are arranged around it like a perimeter.
    <rkcgm> Inside the ring of the smaller barrows, the grass is green and warm; outside the ring, the grass is blue and white, and craggy trees crowd in.
    <sila> “Sometime you’ll have to explain what it is with Iverindor and putting things inside of /tombs/ Llewelyn. Creepy.”
    <rkcgm> On the green lawn, lines of glittering white stone – or possibly deep runs of chalk – form something that looks like a Celtic knot.
    <rkcgm> There are a bunch of horses grazing on this lawn.
    <llewelyn>: “I don’t know that answer myself.”
    <sila> “Hmm.”
    <llewelyn> stops outside the outer ring.
  • Sila takes a deep breath and wills herself not to start sweating out a ton of ‘nervous-dragon’ scent right before approaching the horse area.
    <havrasti> “Well, in we go.”
    <llewelyn>: “Don’t get near the horses. Not all of them are friendly, and they don’t fear you.”
    <ellie> “Hmm. Okay, then.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “They look pretty, though – and they’re big!”
    <sila> “…are you sure about that? Because in my experience, horses don’t like my scent. It takes a long time to get a herd critter used to a dragon.”
    <llewelyn>: “I’m pretty sure of that. Barrow Horses fear nothing.”
    <sila> “Not that I want to approach a scared horse in this form either, mind. Just saying.”
  • Sila looks for the entrance
    <havrasti> “They’re not usual horses. They’re raised by The Lady.”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes. Mm… the belief in Iverindor is that she’s breeding the horses for the saints to ride to Armageddon.”
    <llewelyn>: “Or maybe the Lady just likes nice horses.”
    <havrasti> “Heh, that might be a tad presumptuous.”
    <llewelyn>: “Iveridor has plenty of errant superstitions.”
    <sila> “Um. I guess both can be true, all the same. I mean, God may not need the help, but if she wants to breed fearless horses as an act of worship, who’s going to stop her?”
    <llewelyn>: “Another one, for instance, is that the Lady is also the Virgin Mary. Which is definitely wrong.”
    <sila> “…they don’t worhip her like the catholics, do they?”
    <llewelyn>: “They’d prefer to use the word ‘reverence’ rather than ‘worship’.”
    <sila> “Uh. Does she /encourage/ this?”
    <llewelyn>: “No, and the Inquisitors don’t like it either.”
    <sila> “Well that’s a relief.”
    <llewelyn> goes to the back of the vehicle and gets his cloak out of his travel bag, and reluctantly puts it on.
  • Sila is reminded that she is doing something important and ought to pray about it, so she pauses to say a short prayer.
    <llewelyn>: “We’ll need to walk from here.”
    <sila> “Obviously. So which way around the horses, then?”
  • Ellie prepares to follow Llewelyn in.
    <llewelyn> points. “We can stay on the road.”
  • Sila links arms with Havrasti and walks up the road
  • Havrasti happily takes Sila’s arm
    <havrasti> “Onwards, then.”
    <rkcgm> Several of the horses take notice of you all, and one of them spends several minutes staring at Havrasti (and Sila) with a look that says “What, you want to come fight me, bro? Come on, I dare ya…”
    <rkcgm> Otherwise, the half-mile walk is made without event.
    <rkcgm> At the base of the Great Barrow, between two tall standing stones, the road abruptly turns to go down into a tunnel that leads under the mound.
    <llewelyn> stops between the stones.
  • Havrasti deosn’t go where Llewelyn doesn’t
  • Sila rolls her eyes at the horse and gets out her enchanted rock
  • Ellie follows, particularly fascinated by the shift from no-green to green. She also enjoys watching the horses, though she’s careful not to show too particular an interest.
    <rkcgm> Carley is just watching the horses.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I keep expecting to see that one of them’s a unicorn or something.”
  • Sila keeps Carley from accidentally wandering off the road ;P
    <llewelyn> waits between the stones for a few moments, and then Havrasti gets the feeling that… something magical in the area has changed. Precisely what, he can’t really tell.
    <llewelyn>: “Ah… there. We can go in.”
    <sila> “My mom claims unicorns are less like horses than Earth mythology makes them sounds, so- oh, good. How do you know?”
    <llewelyn> points at the tunnel: “Because it doesn’t lead to a trap-filled death maze anymore.”
    <sila> “…yeah, that’s a good clue.”
    <ellie> “Yes, comforting to know.”
  • Sila resists the urge to repeat her question :P
    <llewelyn> starts walking down into the tunnel.
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Wait… trap-filled death maze…?”
  • Ellie follows Llewelyn. “He wouldn’t be heading in if it weren’t safe now.”
    <havrasti> “The Lady likes her privacy, I guess.”
    <llewelyn>: “The doors only open at sunrise and sunset. Any other time, the tunnels lead to a trap-filled death maze. I had to ask permission.”
    <sila> “Sounds very old-story-ish.”
    <sila> “Considering who she calls enemies, though, I’d be surprised if she didn’t have some hefty security.”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes. If you didn’t have those handy stones, you wouldn’t have gotten this far, even with me nearby.”
    <rkcgm> The tunnel leads downward into an open chamber which seems utterly empty of everything, including other exits.
    <havrasti> “Rather barren.”
    <sila> “So we’re not going to need to physically show them to anybody, then?”
    <rkcgm> There’s a few shafts of light coming down from somewhere, but otherwise, it’s a bit dim.
  • Ellie decides she’d like things a little less dim, and lightbends to enhance the light.
    <rkcgm> Ellie’s lightbending serves for a few moments, and then it just… kinda fades back to its original dimness.
    <sila> “Heh, no messing with the stage effects, Ellie.”
    <ellie> “…Well, then. Okay.”
    <llewelyn>: “Look up.”
  • Ellie does so.
  • Sila looks
    <rkcgm> Floating over your head, you see what looks like a night sky – a million millions of stars, whispy clouds, and a blue-green auroral glow flickering around you.
    <ellie> “Okay. Well, I suppose I can appreciate that.”
    <sila> “Are we actually experience non-standard timeflow? Speaking of old stories.”
    <rkcgm> When you all look back to the ground, you’re in a garden of glowing white and pale-yellow night flowers.
    <rkcgm> There’s a tree to Havrasti’s right that looks like it’s made of turquoise and growing emeralds as fruit.
  • Havrasti resists the urge to go touch it
  • Ellie takes in the lovely scenery with wonder and a smile.
  • Sila finds the tree moderately distracting
    <rkcgm> Carley reaches up for a star. “It looks so tiny and… ouch, hot!”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Okay, not a projection… that’s a real star, but super-tiny.”
    <sila> “Wow…”
  • Sila cups her hand around a star to feel
    <rkcgm> Sila’s hands are warmed.
    <sila> “SO Cool!”
    <rkcgm> A few more looks around, and you finally notice that the Lady is floating in the center of the garden in the middle of the starfield, muttering something. “You like it? That one exploded three millennia ago.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It’s a cloud now, but you can’t see it from here yet.”
    <sila> “I like the representation, anyway. Supernovae I can take or leave – that’s kind of up to God anyway, you know? They’re neat to observe at a sufficient distance.”
  • Havrasti examines The Lady
    <rkcgm> The Lady is tall – a head taller than Llewelyn, and looks somewhat unusual, at least in comparison to most of the “elves” you’ve ever seen before. She has dark hair – almost black – and she’s darker-skinned, more like an Arab.
    <rkcgm> She’s wearing green – what else? – but is otherwise unadorned with anything so gaudy as coronets or jewelry. And while she looks young and beautiful, it’s not overwhelmingly obvious.
    <rkcgm> But the Lady is most definitely not a delicate wallflower, either – she looks like she could take down an ogre in one punch.
    <sila> “God and NASA do some pretty awesome nature-art with the resulting nebulae.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady doesn’t respond immediately; she’s apparently looking at a star-cluster nearer to where she’s floating.
  • Sila examines the lady while she waits
    <rkcgm> ((See previous description. :P ))
    <sila> ((yes, naturally))
  • Ellie decides it’s time to be… as polite as she knows how. She curtsies and says, “Greetings, Lady. Thank you for allowing us to come.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hm? Oh, yes. Of course. Merry met.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Aren’t you going to say hello, Llewelyn?”
    <llewelyn> not-quite-sighs: “Of course. How are you doing, Grandmother?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Lolwut.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady giggles.
    <havrasti> “You didn’t mention that.”
  • Ellie looks over at Llewelyn with raised eyebrows.
  • Sila kind of chokes. By her face, you’d guess she’s trying to figure out if we have sufficient information to place the Lady in Llewelyn’s family tree (relative to the known Grandfather especially)
    <llewelyn>: “I didn’t? Hum. Must have slipped my mind.”
    <sila> “Yeah, um, /nobody/ mentioned that. Guess we know where you got your sense of humor.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady abruptly looks at Sila. “EEEK! DRAGONS! …wait, dragons? Yes… are you Yveshna’s minions?”
    <sila> “Technically, I’m an Earthling, but in the choice between Yveshna and the evil, evil enemy? We choose Yveshna.”
    <havrasti> “Mmm, not minions, but inclined towards her view of things rather than Whiteteeth’s.”
  • Sila snorts and adds, “Inclined is not a strong enough word.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady smiles. “Excellent. Excellent. Now I just need one more of you, and we can have an execution!”
    <havrasti> “…”
    <llewelyn> rolls his eyes.
    <sila> “…what??”
    <rkcgm> The Lady waves the stars off to hide in a vault of the ceiling, and you notice – they were probably there the whole time – that there is a ring of men in armour, carrying pikes, all around the perimeter of the garden.
    <ellie> “…I’m hoping, Llewelyn, that we’re now seeing where you get your penchant for making shock-statements from…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Ooh, this is so exciting! I haven’t had enough dragons for a trial in… what year is it? Two years!”
    <sila> “Argh. Your family, Llewelyn. Someone needs to find the ‘high drama’ dial and turn it down halfway for the lot of you.”
  • Havrasti is wondering how serious she actually is
    <rkcgm> The Lady suddenly teleports about a foot in front of Sila. “Do you have a favored method?”
    <sila> “Favored method of performing what task?”
    <llewelyn> mouths in the background “I DON’T COME HERE MUCH CAUSE SHE’S CRAAAAZY.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Executions, of course! Maybe an axeman? Hanging is very hard for something the size of a dragon, but I suppose it can be done…”
    <ellie> “We did come in peace… not to be executed…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “What? Why would you be executed?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “We’re still missing a third dragon, anyway, and we can’t have an execution until we have three. Treaty says.”
    <havrasti> “Why are you executing dragons at all?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady might be pouting. Or she might not be.
    <ellie> “These are my friends. If they are executed, it matters to me just as much as if I am.”
    <sila> “Personally, I’m in favor of avoiding executions whenever possible. I’ve never been asked about method before, so I haven’t really considered it.”
    <sila> “Are we being tried or is this the local idea of giving someone a jury of their peers?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Well, it ate half a village on the border. Chewed without remorse, and not even in self-defense!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks at Sila: “Oh dear, you thought I was talking about YOU being executed? No wonder you looked so blue.”
    <sila> “What can I say? I lack context.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hahaha, oops.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady teleports across the garden, and comes back five seconds later with a flower that looks like a dragon’s head. The flower’s petals snap at Sila.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Treaty says!”
    <sila> “…nice snap-dragon.”
    <havrasti> “So three dragons to judge another dragon?”
    <sila> “If I’m being asked to stand as juror, I may be able to resolve the number issue, pursuant to the question I originally came here to ask.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Yveshna says not all dragons are evil. But most of them serve Whiteteeth, who is evil. So Yveshna and I made a treaty.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Now, I don’t kill the good dragons, only the evil ones. And if I catch a good dragon, one of Yveshna’s, then I let them go!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “But if I catch a bad dragon…”
    <sila> “He that sheds the blood of other people, by other people shall his blood be shed, eh?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Well then, I need three good dragons to agree before I will execute the bad dragon. Yveshna’s rule. She really insisted, and didn’t want to change her mind AT ALL.”
    <sila> “Can’t imagine why.”
    <ellie> “Well, I think I see the direction you’re thinking, Sila. You might as well explain.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I know, I couldn’t either! But she insisted anyway, and she fights Whiteteeth, too… so I will humour her.”
    <sila> “Right…so I’m, ah, descended from Leto the portal-maker, and have inherited his gift.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh!”
    <sila> “You may have noticed me trying to make a portal nearby yesterday. Sorry about that, I hadn’t been aware I needed permission.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I remember Leto. He was a funny little dragonet. Always up to mischief! I heard he died a few years ago.”
    <sila> “A few…? Um, sure. A lot of people heard that someone named George killed him. I think the rumors may be rather exaggerated, though, since I’m pretty sure a giant was involved.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, that Portal! I thought it might have been that stupid southron countess again… I nearly connected you to the ocean. That whale would sure have been surprised!”
    <ellie> “…Um, hm. I think we know who you’re talking about… but it might be better to let Sila finish her point, first.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady tucks the snapping snapdragon into Sila’s hair, where it… seems to behave, for now.
    <sila> “Right – my point is this. I would like permission to make portals here. Besides allowing Llewelyn to visit home more often,it would allow me to bring another dragon here relatively quickly.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hmm…”
    <sila> “…without scaring the daylights out of all your citizens.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “So… you want portal-permission… and you’d bring me another dragon?”
    <sila> “Temporarily of course. For jury duty.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “…is it a good dragon?”
    <ellie> “One of her family members, presumably. So yes.”
    <sila> “Of course it’s a good dragon. I wouldn’t have anything to do with an evil dragon!”
    <havrasti> “We don’t have any bad dragons in our home. We have a grouchy one, but that’s about it.”
  • Ellie telepathies, /If you wouldn’t be worried about it, you could offer to bring your dad, since she already knows him…/
  • Havrasti doesn’t mention the one we talked down who was involved with the bowl of plagues
    <sila> (T) “I dunno, dad’s still pretty sick. And…I’m not completely sure I trust her, she seems like she might be a few apples short of a barrel.”
  • Sila pictures a barrel with a few apples decorating the bottom
  • Ellie tries not to laugh. She answers, /Fair enough. Just figured it might help if she already trusted the dragon in question./
    <sila> “I’m actually thinking about Anna. Law enforcement experience, international experience, Christian. She should be an exemplary juror, if she can get the day off.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks skeptical, but then brightens. “Maybe. So if I give you permission to make portals in my Iverindor, then what will you give me in… oh, right. Another dragon. Ha ha.”
    <sila> “Even better, next time you need a jury, you can /ask/ me, instead of waiting two years for someone to coincidentally show up.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hm… I suppose. But only because you asked nicely. It’s so rare that some people ask nicely.”
    <havrasti> “Well she is a nice dragon, after all.”
    <sila> “It works so much better, I almost always try it first. …unless someone is already shooting at me, but that’s a special case.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “The last one who asked thought I was being so terribly unfair to refuse him, as if it was his right to invade my country with his stupid portals and make crude holes all through everything!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady teleports somewhere out of sight, but her voice still comes from right in front of Sila. “I don’t /like/ holes in everything. It’s so nasty.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady appears again. “Food?”
    <sila> “Do you have a specific location I should land the portal then? Or may I choose a specific location or two based on discussion with Llewelyn and other family members?”
    <havrasti> “Um, I suppose. What sort of food?”
  • Sila glances at the emerald-tree, if it’s still there
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, do whatever you like. I know you now, so I can tell when you are coming. But if you get denied… well, sometimes I’m fighting a war, and I’m not paying attention. Just try back later!”
    <sila> “Duly noted.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady follows Sila’s glance at the emerald-tree. “Ah. I see… you think that will taste good, hm? Maybe as good as it looks?”
    <sila> “Mostly, I’m incredibly curious.”
    <sila> "I have no idea if it’s even food, but I want to /find out/ "
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Very well. But I suggest eating one of those glowing pink flowers afterward, as a dessert.”
    <sila> “Really? Thank you.”
  • Havrasti wonders why
  • Sila picks an emerald and a glowing pink flower and tries them, in the recommended order, assuming nothing exceptional happens in the process
  • Ellie looks at the glowing pink flower. She lightbends a twin right next to it, just for amusement.
    <sila> (note, I intend to have the flower in hand when eating the “emerald,” just in case it turns out to be a poison dragon-trap :P )
    <rkcgm> Sila discovers that the emerald fruit has a taste that is… surprisingly kinda bland. But the sensation of biting into it is shockingly unique, and totally makes it worth finishing.
    <rkcgm> The glowing pink flower, on the other hand, is like eating a really soft piece of cabbage. But the taste is almost intoxicating. You want another.
    <havrasti> “So, how are they?”
    <sila> “Whoo! Amazing! The jewel-fruid is kind of bland, but had an incredible bite. The flower is incredibly tasty, for all it has a vegetative texture. Well, I mean, it is a plant. So are these purely magical constructs, or do they have seeds?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, I’ve been working on them for… when did I start working on them? Hm… Probably a thousand years. Maybe fifteen hundred.”
    <sila> “Since Leto was a dragonet?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady glances over at the flower and Ellie’s light-flower next to it. She looks back to Sila, and then does a double-take on the light flower. “Ooh!”
  • Ellie looks up at the Lady. “They kinda resemble a flower we have back home… though it doesn’t glow. I used that as a basis for a bit of a symbol-signature, and… so I was kinda copying to compare/contrast.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks at Ellie, and then closes one eye and looks at Ellie.
  • Ellie looks back at the Lady kinda curiously.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Who’s your mother?”
    <sila> “Llewelyn, if I ever need to get off the Earthly map for a couple centuries, I’m gonna come and ask very very nicely for your grandmother to give me lessons in animal husbandry and horticulture.”
  • Sila imagines doing to a line of cows whatever sort of thing the lady did for those flowers, yum.
    <ellie> “Heh. You could tell it’s from my mother I get magic? I think she’s mostly known here as Golden Rose.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Mmm, not familiar… Who’s your grandmother?”
  • Ellie thinks hard for a moment, “I only met her recently, but… I believe Mom said her name was Ninyaheri Nele.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “More familiar, but I still can’t place her.”
    <havrasti> “Have you heard of Steel Rose?”
    <ellie> “Well… I’m told my great-great grandmother was Mossymoor.”
  • Sila listens to the world-song here while they discuss elven lineages. Is the barrow normally connected to Iverindor, or are we actually in a pocket dimension?
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Mossymoor? You mean Laicalinquënórë, the light-dancer of the Mossymoor?”
    <ellie> “Um. You seem to know more than I do there. I do know she was one of three sister Ilfirins.”
    <rkcgm> Sila: it’s like a pocket dimension, but it’s actually made out of the exact materials that this spot was originally made of, and so it’s a lot more of a ‘native’ to this place than any pocket world you’ve ever encountered before.
  • Sila is quietly fascinated by this eddy-dimension for a while ((BRB))
    <rkcgm> The Lady does a sudden cartwheel. “Oh, oh, haha. I remember her. She was my handmaiden for years, many years, she and her two sisters – before they fell… IN LOVE. Oh, how it made them swoon.”
    <ellie> “Heh. I’ve heard a very, very little of that.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, it was so funny to watch! Until they started trying to kill each other off. That was not so funny… I didn’t permit it. It was very rude. But they got over it and became friends again.”
    <ellie> “Hmm. I had not heard about that part, though… I think I recall that they all fell in love with the same man, so…”
    <ellie> “It is interesting to know that my lightbending traces back to my great-grandmother, though.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Laicalinquënórë was a light-dancer, a sun-weaver – I liked her. Oh!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “She died?!”
    <ellie> “Aaah… yes. Um… I never mentioned that, though. How did you know?”
  • Ellie telepathies, /I’m sure you’re powerful enough to have read my mind, but… I’d like to know if you did. …Also, you almost certainly know I have not tried to read yours./
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I feel an echo of it in the magic you carry with you.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It means she died, not alone, because it was passed on… bits to you.”
    <ellie> “Aah, hm. That’s interesting. I didn’t know that was possible, though… it makes sense. Her power – the power from the Somerstone – passed to my mother. Hm, along with the gifts of breath she had given to one of her servants. And Mom has gifted a little of that to me.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hm. That makes me very sad… she was only two centuries younger than me. My… we won’t speak of that.”
    <ellie> “I am sorry. I didn’t know her, but it sounds like she was a wonderful person who did a lot of good for those around her.”
    <llewelyn>, who’s inspecting a plant in the corner, raises an eyebrow.
  • Ellie sees, and telepathies to Llewelyn, /And what was that expression supposed to mean?/
    <llewelyn>: /She said your great-grandmother was two centuries younger than her. I’ve never heard of any other Ilfirin who were anywhere as close to the Lady’s age./
  • Ellie replies, /Aaah, hm. I guess I didn’t know enough to pick up on the significance of that as much./
    <llewelyn> shrugs.
    <rkcgm> The Lady abruptly teleports away.
  • Sila starts paying attention to her visible surroundings again
    <rkcgm> Carley, happily unnoticed until now, is munching on a fruit that looks like a large black pearl. It’s making her hair stand up on end.
  • Sila snerks at Carley
    <sila> “What do you think, Carley? Want to join me asking the lady for gardening lessons?”
    <rkcgm> ((Seriously, like when you touch one of those static balls and your hair goes everywhere.))
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Yes. This tastes like a steak that died and went to heaven.”
    <havrasti> “Are there more?”
    <sila> “Maybe learn how to grow Vandegraaff fruit?”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I was thinking about how to make it into a cobbler.”
  • Ellie is wondering where the Lady ported off to.
    <sila> “…Vandegraaff steak cobbler… I totally want to try that.”
    <sila> “And if it works, I want to try it on the rest of DEAR next April 1st.”
    <rkcgm> Carley nods enthusiastically. “It’s coming up, you know.”
    <rkcgm> Carley’s hair slowly starts going back down.
    <sila> “But can we get the fruit…”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “I suppose we can ask.”
    <havrasti> “So when are you going to ask her about your request, Llewelyn?”
    <llewelyn>: “When I get a word in edgewise.”
    <ellie> “Also, perhaps, when she comes back.”
    <rkcgm> …which happens at almost that exact moment.
    <havrasti> ((of course :P ;) ))
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Sorry. Distraction. Four dragons tried to fly towards my borders. The nerve of them! Flying around like birds on the wing… I had to send some of my soldiers to fight them, but they retreated. Village-eating cowards. I’ll kill them all for what they’ve done!”
    <sila> “…for…flying?”
    <sila> “No wonder you can’t get jurors.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks miffed. “No, for eating my people.”
    <havrasti> “Did these ones actually try to eat your people?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “No, but they would have! That’s why I’ve fought them. I will not let them eat anyone again. I won’t let it happen.”
    <sila> “If you’re in the habit of greeting potential visitors with soldiery, you probably don’t get many innocent visitors…scaring away all the good folk of a species does kind of guarantee that you’ll only meet the bad ones thereafter.”
    <sila> “But you know, making a few more friends with good dragons might help with dissuading the bad ones from coming around.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady suddenly looks very angry, and stomps her feet with such force that the garden disappears, turning to ash-blackened snow, with a burning village all around you.
  • Sila winces
    <rkcgm> You see the Lady standing in an empty, burning house that’s been torn apart by dragon claws, shaking her fist at the heavens, screaming in some ancient language.
    <sila> “Evil is evil, you don’t need to re-enact horror scenes to convince me of that. Murder is evil, and the blood of the slain cries out for justice.”
    <rkcgm> …and suddenly you’re back in the garden, and the Lady looks embarrassed.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “…my apologies. I didn’t mean for you to see that.”
    <sila> “Apology accepted.”
  • Sila sighs
    <ellie> “And apologies on our behalf; we didn’t know the details of what you defend against.”
    <sila> “My mother would have a fit if she could see me, standing in a barrow talking to an elf about making friends…”
    <ellie> ((Whether the dragons like it or not, Ellie feels that the attempts at reasoning were coming across more as criticism, and were not sufficiently informed."
    <ellie> ))
    <rkcgm> The Lady takes a deep breath. “They attack my land often, you know. In the summer, nearly every week. Less in the winter.”
    <sila> “That’s appalling.”
    <sila> “I suppose it’s just hard for me to forget that…well, before I met Llewelyn I was as terrified of elves as your people are terrified of dragons. And for very nearly the same reason.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It is… a curse upon the whole world, you know.”
    <sila> “Yes. I suppose only the return of Jesus will stop it altogether, but we do what we can in the meantime.”
    <sila> “Or…did you mean something more specific than ‘hate, murder, and speciesm’ is a curse?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It is more specific than that.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady peers at Sila. “And I will put emnity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “…as was said to Whiteteeth’s father and master.”
    <sila> “Madam, I am NOT a snake.”
    <ellie> “That was the curse spoken to the serpent, and father here could be figurative, Sila.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Hardly. Nor are you a follower of the serpent.”
    <ellie> ((Ellie is distinguishing between serpent and snake, which are, in my understanding, not necessarily the same.))
    <sila> “…Ah, yeah, that makes more sense. Sorry.”
    <sila> “There’s really no arguing the question of Whiteeth’s master.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady remains quiet a few moments. “I was unborn when that curse was pronounced, but I have seen it acted out.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady studies Sila closely: “Do you know where the dragons come from?”
    <sila> “My mother says God made us, much as he made mankind and presumably all other sapient races, but since the Bible focuses on humanity as the bearers of the truest image, we don’t know the details.”
    <sila> “…my mother says Whiteteeth is a liar, like his master.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “There is enough seed of truth… to deceive many.”
    <sila> “Do you know, well, more about where dragons come from?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “He was supposed to be the prince of your kind, but he was deceived, just as many others in heaven were deceived, by the prince of lies.”
    <sila> “Ah. Wait, are you saying Whiteteeth is a literal demon?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Yes.”
    <sila> “But he has children… does that make them the, the dragon-equivalent of the Nephilim??”
  • Sila has that brain-cramp look on her face again
    <havrasti> “Or… what?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady nods. “In the old years, things were not as divided as they seem now. It is true, and yet his offspring Yveshna has a soul and a conscience.”
    <sila> “Well if /he/ had enough soul and conscience and free will to /rebel/ then of course his offspring would have to have enough to choose as well. And God says in the new creation will be people from every tribe and tongue and nation, so of course there’s a faithful remnant everywhere at some point…”
  • Sila mutters “One understands why God solved it all with a flood on the Earthly plane, it’s so much /simpler/ there these days.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Whiteteeth, following his master, deceived your entire race to share in my father’s fall; and so as enemies we cling to each other, fallen fighting together the same curse of death that consumes all of creation.”
    <sila> “Right. That’s roughly what I was trying to get at before.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady nods.
    <sila> “Missionaries on Earth often have to do peacemaking between new believers in warring or formerly-warring tribes, but this takes it to whole other levels. But the closest we’ll ever get to a solution /is/ evangelism.”
    <sila> “That’s why I’m so concerned about founding a church among the refugee clan off Hawaii. Um, that’s dragon refugees.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady nods. “I hope that it might be successful.”
    <sila> “Thank you.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks lost in thought, floating about a foot in the air.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I’m too tired for an execution.”
    <sila> “That’s just as well; I’m sure you don’t want me making a portal /in here/ anyway.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I would have permitted it. You are of Yveshna’s Clan, and you’ve proven it enough for me.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks over to Llewelyn. “As silent as normal.”
    <llewelyn>: “I’m told I got it honestly.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Yes. From your /father’s/ side of the family.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “My dear Feidhlim loves talking…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Humph. So what did you come here for?”
    <llewelyn>: “Command stone.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks quizzical; she then looks at Ellie. “Oooh! You a cunning little rascal.”
    <ellie> “Um…” Ellie looks genuinely confused.
    <ellie> “I’m really not sure why I’m being accused…”
    <havrasti> “So you know what he wants to do with it?”
    <ellie> “No clue. Hence the confusion…”
    <ellie> “So far as I know, I was the one without a particular reason for coming here…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady pats Llewelyn on the head. “Him – not you, my dear! He’s such a mischievous, cunning boy.”
    <havrasti> (he was asking The Lady :P )
    <llewelyn> looks excessively put-upon by the pat on the head.
    <ellie> “I don’t suppose you want to ruin his surprise by telling us why he’s cunning, do you?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks at Llewelyn.
    <llewelyn>: “I wouldn’t…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady appears to think Llewelyn’s joking-warning tone over: “No, I think not.”
  • Ellie raises her eyebrows but doesn’t press the point.
    <havrasti> “Someday, Llewelyn, we’ll figure it out.”
    <ellie> “We won’t have to. Eventually he’ll execute this supposedly cunning plan, and we’ll get to see it firsthand.”
    <ellie> “Or we had Better be able to,” she adds in her own warning tone.
    <sila> “And then we’ll have to find a new door stop, because at least that ridiculous statue will be out of our office.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady closes her hand into a fist and then opens it, handing a small stone that looks like an opal to Llewelyn.
    <ellie> “You mean the tripping hazard that drove up DEAR’s insurance costs by at least 20%?”
  • Ellie would look surprised at the ease with which the Lady produced the stone, but… nope. Just nope. :-p ;-)
    <sila> “DEAR has to be self-insured. No earthly insurance company could possibly offer /hostile enchantment/ coverage.”
    <ellie> “Heh. Fair point.”
    <ellie> “Doesn’t mean that stupid duck didn’t drive up costs, though.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady glances around, and then waves a hand. The garden disappears, and you appear to be floating over a giant, painstakingly-replicated map of Esserea. ((Actually, it’s probably a globe, but you’re only seeing a tiny slice of it.))
    <rkcgm> Blue-white Iverindor is immediately obvious, since everything else is green.
    <havrasti> “Wow, nice view…why are we here?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Quiet, please. War’s on.”
  • Sila tries to be subtle about checking if the spearmen are still here
    <rkcgm> There are no spearmen left at all.
  • Ellie looks around for signs of the war she’s talking about.
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks at something up north, toward the Arctic, where there are a bunch of red glowing dots coming south."
  • Sila counts dots
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Children, this is not Santa Claus and his twelve reindeer.”
    <ellie> “Is there anything we can do, or are we just watching?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady starts giggling. “Sorry. I’ve waited three decades to use that line.”
  • Ellie snerks
    <sila> “Heh. Too bad, reindeer are probably tasty.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Just watch. This is a serious probe, but my men can handle it easily. I will not even have to get involved.”
    <rkcgm> ((Sorry – “a more serious probe”))
  • Ellie watches
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Doubtlessly testing the resolution of this year’s tribunes.”
    <sila> “Hm.”
    <rkcgm> There doesn’t seem to be much of a battle. The dragons reach the border of Iverindor, and then… four of the twelve dots disappear. The rest turn around.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Humph. No spine at all.”
    <sila> “Retreating with 30 percent losses is not spine?”
    <sila> (no spine I mean)
  • Havrasti grimaces
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, his dragons have spine – to fly towards my borders with only twelve of their number, and not even one of the Silent Children in company? It is Whiteteeth that has no spine.”
    <sila> “Ah.”
    <rkcgm> ((I’m going to end us here.))
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==

  • Sila is debating whether this would be a reasonable time to go ask Anna if she would be willing to stand juror to a murder/war crimes trial
  • Ellie is, as uncannily usual, on the same wavelength as Sila. “Well… so, what more were we trying to do today? Did you want us to go to our home-world to see if we could recruit another dragon for your trial, Lady?”
    <ellie> After speaking, she wonders whether she used proper formailties… but decides it’s too late to wonder that now. :-p
    <havrasti> ((she did give Sila permission to open a portal, right?))
    <rkcgm> ((She did.))
    <ellie> ((Yes. Iirc, she already said yes. “Because you asked nicely.” ;-) )
    <sila> ((I think she even gave me general permission to put it wherever, as opposed to only one specific location in the country?))
    <rkcgm> ((Yes – she’s basically able to recognize your distinctive ‘tell’ behind it, and won’t redirect it to the middle of an ocean or volcano.))
    <rkcgm> The Lady doesn’t seem to hear Ellie’s question, instead looking down at the large-scale map.
  • Sila examines the map for more red marks
  • Ellie is not bold enough to push again. She looks at the map, too.
    <llewelyn> is completely not paying attention to the map. He’s looking at the opal-like rock the Lady gave him.
  • Havrasti observes Llewelyn. Is he doing anything magical?
    <rkcgm> Those of you who are also paying attention to the map hear – somewhat distantly – some voices speaking in Iverindorene.
    <ellie> ((Can Ellie understand them through telepathy translation?))
    <sila> ((Does it sound like they’re coming “from the map” ?))
    <rkcgm> ((No, because that works through actually having the proximity to use telepathy for the people who are talking. These people are out of range.))
    <rkcgm> ((Yes.))
    <sila> (softly) “Ah, after-action reports.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady speaks in the direction of the map: “But I don’t see why it was done at all.”
    <rkcgm> Sound of distant talking
  • Sila prods Llewelyn
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “No, there’s nothing else in the entire hemisphere.”
    <sila> “Hey, can you understand this?”
    <llewelyn>: “Hmm? Understand… oh, I can hear it now.”
    <sila> “I mean…stupid question…what I mean is, are you listening?”
    <llewelyn>: “I am now.”
    <rkcgm> Sounds of distant talking
  • Sila just realized she asked him if he could “understand” his native language. So now that pale irish complexion the gem gives her is turning rather red :P
  • Havrasti also switches attention to the map and the talking
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I suppose that’s a possibility.”
  • Ellie stands by to listen for any explanations Llewelyn might be able to give.
    <llewelyn> asides: “The centurion suggested that the dragons were disrupting the order of Whiteteeth’s legion, and they were ordered to make an attack to prove their loyalty.”
    <ellie> “Semi-death sentence. But hey, at least it would inconvenience his enemy,” Ellie observes wryly.
    <havrasti> “Mmhmm.”
    <sila> “Ugh. And then the ones that retreated will probably get reamed out for cowardice.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Likely, considering that their attack was repulsed without loss on my behalf.”
    <sila> “Does that sort of thing happen a lot?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Often, in the spring and summer months.”
    <sila> “Figures. Take a large group of dragons and convince them that evil, murderous, and backstabbing is how they were made, and then wonder why you have discipline problems…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I doubt Whiteteeth wonders at all about it; destruction of life suits him equally.”
    <ellie> “With a leader like him, you’d think the dragons wouldn’t need any more enemies…”
    <sila> “With a leader like him, it’s not surprise they have so many though.”
    <sila> “We need more missionaries.”
    <havrasti> “Yes.”
    <havrasti> “Heavily armored missionaries.”
    <ellie> “Heh. Isn’t that the truth…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady gestures, and the map scrolls slightly, up towards the Arctic regions. Across the sea to the northwest there’s a small-ish island that appears to be mostly ice-covered; except for a dozen canyons that are backlit with fire.
    <sila> “Missionaries mostly wear the breastplate of righteousness and the shield of salvation and trust God to deal with the violent types. For the record, though, I wasn’t proposing sending outsiders directly to Tooth’s warcamp, or whatever he has.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “THAT is what he has. It’s called… Gathilgabol, I believe is the name I’ve been told.”
    <havrasti> (is there a translation?)
    <ellie> ((Can Ellie tell what “Gathilgabol” means, if anything?))
    <sila> ((or if it’s draconic, what does it mean to me?))
    <rkcgm> ((There is no immediate translation you can think of. Perhaps the name is more ancient than the languages you know.))
    <ellie> “Hm.”
    <havrasti> “What does the name mean?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Perhaps Yveshna would know. If she does, she didn’t tell me.”
    <sila> "I guess for our purposes, it means “Bad People Live Here” – that’s enough to be going on with."
    <sila> ((Goliath of Gath, “Corruption” of Gathilgabol? :P ))
    <rkcgm> The Lady gestures again, giving you a closer look at the canyons, some of which appear to be bottomless and backlit with fire. “I don’t even know how far down they’ve gone.”
    <sila> “Someone forgot to tell Toothy that dragons are meant for the /sky/ it seems.”
    <rkcgm> ((And no, I re-spelled an orcish name of one of the dwarven kingdoms of Middle Earth.))
    <havrasti> ((he))
    <havrasti> ((heh))
    <ellie> “So, wait – are those natural fissures, or did they dig them…?”
    <sila> “Or maybe he thinks that’s funny too. Because evil, and stuff. If he’s so careless of his tools, though, then convincing people not to sign up might help empty out those crevices, over time.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Perhaps Whiteteeth did it himself, or through his slaves; it was like that when I claimed this land.”
    <ellie> “What do you mean?”
    <sila> “Looks like a festering rake-wound.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I mean that those canyons were there when I first came to Iverindor.”
    <ellie> “Aaah, I understand.”
    <sila> “Where did you live before here?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady remains quiet for a few moments, almost making you think she was ignoring the question, but eventually says “Before that, we were nomads.”
  • Ellie is hesitant to ask, but eventually prompts, “We?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady definitely ignores your question this time, and instead reaches out with a hand toward the fire-backlit canyons. “Does your legion grow so disordered that you must order them to die on my borders?”
    <rkcgm> A chorus of seven raspy draconic voices answers: “Just wanted to see if you were awake, witch-queen.”
  • Ellie mutters, “Well, that’s creepy.”
  • Sila makes a shushing gesture at Ellie, thinking “We don’t know what kind of pickup the map-spell-thing has…he might be able to hear us!”
  • Ellie didn’t hear Sila’s thought, but she still telepathies, /I don’t think I’m revealing any state secrets by making that observation, even if it can be heard through the map…/
    <sila> (T) “Not worried about state secrets. It’s just, do you really want /Whiteteeth/ of all beings wondering who you are?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady makes a sound that simultaneously mixes the idea of “Yeah, well, bleep you” and “You’re tiresome to talk to, now go away.” She then removes her extended hand and pulls back the view to see a large portion of the hemisphere.
  • Ellie replies, /Well… so long as he can’t figure it out… I don’t necessarily see the harm in him being annoyed by curiosity…/
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Not an execution, today – but perhaps a trial? Yes, do bring your third dragon here.”
    <sila> “I’ll go invite her. Hopefully she isn’t in the middle of a case. Do you want me to go outside to make the portal?”
    <sila> “Oh – and how long should I tell her (and her employer) we’ll be needing her?”
  • Ellie telepathies, /Even if we couldn’t bring back Anna, your brother might be able to come…/
    <rkcgm> The Lady blinks, and you find yourself standing in the garden, next to a door set in a pair of stone pillars. “Make it there.”
    <sila> “That works.”
  • Sila starts weaving the portal while still listening for the time-frame answer.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “I doubt it will take long.”
    <sila> “Hm. OK then…”
    <sila> !6d6: portal to Mountie “Special” HQ
    <painbot> [Sila] rolled "portal to Mountie “Special” HQ": (5+1+5+6+1+2). Total: 20.
    <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “versus intermediate”: (4+6+3+5). Total: 18.
    <rkcgm> ((success))
    <sila> “I’ll just leave it anchored until we get back, and then I’ll close it up neatly, OK?”
    <rkcgm> You hear a distant door slam, and then the door in the garden opens into Anna’s office. Anna is, in fact, there – and she’s spinning around in her chair with a submachine gun that’s…
    <rkcgm> Anna: “OH! It’s just you guys.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Does that constitute the American version of knocking?”
    <sila> “Sorry, but I was in Iverindor – no cell service there.”
    <sila> “Otherwise I’d have called ahead.”
    <havrasti> “I suppose you could have made a portal to our home first, called, and then made another.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “It’s fine – my office door just suddenly slammed with no apparent reason, and then reopened all spooooky-like. So… where are you?”
    <sila> "Still Iverindor, if you mean the far end of the portal. Um, brace yourself for chaos: Anna, as Christian dragon and general non-servant of the demon Whiteteeth, you are cordially-slash-urgently invited to come stand as juror for the trial of a man-eater and/or war criminal, in Iverindor, per the terms of the Iverindor/Yveshina treaty on dragon trials. "
    <havrasti> ((and here is where Anna stares at Sila for a few moments processing that :P ))
    <sila> ((Sila kind of expected that, yes :P ))
    <rkcgm> Anna: “O…kay. Is this going to cut into my lunch break, eh?”
    <ellie> “Probably a bit. To the extent that you may perhaps need to ask for additional time away from work.”
    <sila> “The Lady says she doubts it will take long, but you know…not too long isn’t a standard block on the timesheet.”
    <rkcgm> Anna nods and texts her boss.
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Do I need to bring anything, perchance?”
    <sila> “Not that we know of.”
    <ellie> “Just your good judgment.”
    <rkcgm> Anna nods, grabs her Mountie hat, and stands up. “Lead on.”
    <sila> “Thanks. Right this way…”
    <rkcgm> Anna raises an eyebrow as she steps across the threshold into the Lady’s garden. “Juror for a trial of a man-eating what? Flower?”
    <ellie> “The accused isn’t here…”
    <havrasti> “Polymorphed dragon.”
    <havrasti> ((or is the “snap dragon” not here?))
    <rkcgm> The Lady poofs at Anna’s side, pokes her, and… Anna abruptly shifts into her dragon form, so fast that her hat stays on her head.
    <rkcgm> Anna: “YEEP!”
    <havrasti> ((hehehe))
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, she is a dragon! Her disguise was good.” She looks at Anna: “Your disguise was good.”
    <sila> ((I think Sila’s still wearing the snap-dragon :P ))
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Grkthanskuntiehatstringpleasechoking.”
  • Sila pulls the hat string
    <sila> “Anna, meet the Lady of Iverindor…protocol isn’t her thing.”
    <havrasti> “At least, not by most standards.”
    <ellie> “Protocol totally is her thing. Her’s. As in, she gets to define it,” Ellie winks.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “One of my daughters invented protocol to make her feel smarter than the rest of her siblings.”
  • Sila snerks
    <ellie> “Heh. Oh dear. How did that work out for her?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It worked about as well as any child attempting to create rules to control siblings.”
    <ellie> “So, badly. I’ve heard stories, though I had no siblings, myself.”
    <rkcgm> Anna starts breathing again after getting her hat string untied, and looks at the Lady. “So that’s the… ah… Good afternoon, Lady. I am Anna Vaillancourt, of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.”
    <sila> “Havrasti and I are mostly here as friends of her grandson, but apparently she hasn’t had enough dragons for a jury in a while.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady simply nods and looks distractedly at one of the stars floating above her garden. “Oh, that’s right! A jury!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady claps her hands once, and the garden disappears. You find yourself in… well, it’s dark, actually.
    <havrasti> “She is… a little quirky…”
    <havrasti> “I suppose we’d better shift, too.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “That’s becoming clear. Did I just step on one of the humans?”
    <sila> “Ow. Technically, no.”
    <rkcgm> Carley: “Almost. I moved.”
  • Sila takes off her jewel
    <llewelyn>: “And that was your wing in my face…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Oh, I forgot. It’s dark in here.”
    <sila> “Sorry, Llewelyn.”
  • Havrasti finds a secluded spot in the dark to shift
  • Havrasti hopefully does so before the Lady realized it was dark :P
    <rkcgm> All the lights go on, and you find yourself in a small stone cavern that seems to have no entry – unless it’s that hole in the floor, which is covered by a massive grate.
  • Ellie listens for thoughts from inside the grate.
    <rkcgm> Ellie: you hear “If only that one voice steps a little bit closer, I bet I could flame them…”
    <ellie> “So… I’d recommend staying back from the grate…”
    <rkcgm> The Lady seems to be hanging back towards the far wall already.
    <havrasti> “Oh?”
  • Sila gets her wings disentangled from Anna’s
    <ellie> “And I’d recommend you not try any tricks,” she adds to the thinker in the hole.
    <ellie> “Someone thinks they could help their situation – or at least wreak a little more destruction – by flaming anyone who comes near enough.”
    <rkcgm> Voice in the Hole: “Tricks? I’m a feeble prisoner… what tricks would I have to try? Heh heh heh.”
    <havrasti> “Ah, guess I’ll take the lead, tehn.”
    <ellie> ((Pretend that Ellie said her previous statement after the “feeble prisoner” thing))
    <ellie> ((Makes more sense.))
  • Ellie thinks to herself, /Any possibility that this prisoner might be penitent has preeeety much just eliminated itself from my mind…/
    <sila> “I have news for you. Your time of imprisonment is nearly over.”
    <rkcgm> Voice in the Hole: “Well, it took long enough. What’s the matter? Had a bit of trouble finding three ‘good’ dragons?”
    <havrasti> “It seems difficult this far north.”
    <llewelyn> is explaining the situation of the treaty to Anna.
    <sila> “Apparently someone’s been lying to people, telling them dragons come from Whiteteeth when obviously we were made my almighty God like everyone with souls.”
    <rkcgm> ((Who was that to?))
    <sila> (the prisoner – everyone else knows this already :P )
    <rkcgm> Voice-in-the-Hole: “Well, OBVIOUSLY.”
    <ellie> “So… what’s the protocol here? How do we start?” Ellie asks, mainly of the Lady.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Start however you want. The trial ends when you decide whether or not I should release him or put him to death.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Wow, okay, now there’s a worryingly broad mandate.”
    <havrasti> “So, what all do you accuse him of? How many has he killed?”
  • Ellie telepathies to the others, /So… if we were modeling this off an earth trial, the accused should have representation. But under the circumstances… is there a reason to add the extra layer of beauracracy?/
  • Ellie adds, /I mean… would there really be a gain or loss of fairness either way?/
    <havrasti> “/I don’t know, it’s fairly simple rules we’re dealing with here. Would we have anyone willing to do the defense?/”
  • Ellie answers, /I heard him thinking about wanting to randomly flame whoever stepped near enough. I’m not sure I’m unbiased enough./
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “He was found among the injured following a major battle at the end of last summer. There were many depopulated homesteads nearby, and he was found unconscious in the middle of one of them, having apparently eaten most of the family that lived there – but clearly he had been wounded by one of the occupants.”
    <havrasti> “Most of? Are there survivors? Witnesses?”
    <rkcgm> Voice-in-the-hole: “Yes, the elder male was quite upset when I ate one of his screaming offspring.”
    <llewelyn>: “Does that count as a confession, cause…”
    <havrasti> “…”
    <ellie> “I’m pretty sure it does, really.”
    <sila> “I’m pretty sure that that was a sufficient confession, yes.”
    <havrasti> “Are you desiring to be condemned?”
    <ellie> “Let’s just jump to this part for a minute – do you have absolutely ANYTHING to say in your own defense? …And what should we call you, other than ‘Prisoner’?”
    <rkcgm> Voice-in-the-Hole: “Syrilth. And I object to the rules of morality being applied by the victor, rather than by the code of my own race. The witch-elf mother has caused you to rebel against [Draconic name for Whiteteeth], our one true lord and god, who shall someday overthrow the heavens and feast upon his enemies.”
    <ellie> “…Oh dear me.”
    <havrasti> “You are deadly mistaken.”
    <sila> “Um, the Lady hasn’t caused anything. She just met us, like, an hour ago. {Whiteteeth} is a liar, who shall be thrown into the pit at the end of days, and seeks to decieve our people into joining him there.”
    <ellie> “Also, he’s absolutely not a god…”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Pfft.”
    <sila> “He can’t even get you out of this hole in the ground! How can you imagine he will overthrow his own creator?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Oftentimes his followers shall be tested in times of great torment and peril – but when we die in his service, we shall ascend to his right wing to continue our fight, immortal and all-conquering!”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “…and do I hear from your voice that you are a female?”
  • Havrasti thinks about saying “And taken.” but wonders where he is going with that
    <sila> “I’m really sad for you. You’re about to discover the most horrifying truth, but it will be eternally to late to reconsider.”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Ha. Then at least the life of the lie was fun… and tasty. I will take these moments to reflect on the joyous sounds of battle. Say, I suppose none of you are courageous enough to face me openly? You’ll simply nod to the witch-queen, and away I’ll go, to disappear with magic?”
    <rkcgm> Anna just shakes her head.
  • Ellie also shakes her head.
    <ellie> “So… You really don’t care if you’re wrong, and about to pay for it forever?”
    <ellie> “I mean, I’m not saying you believe you’re wrong – but entertaining the theoretical prospect, it doesn’t bother you?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth pauses for a few moments. “Maybe a bit… but I’m not wrong. And anyway, what if I’m right?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “What if YOU’RE the ones who are wrong?”
    <llewelyn> mutters. “We’re not wrong.”
    <havrasti> “Whiteteeth is a created being, and a dependantly-exisiting created can not overthrow a self-existing creator.”
    <ellie> “We have one among us who has seen proof positive that we’re not wrong. And what if we are? What, aside from our lives, do we lose in opposing your master?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Oh, yes, and who told you all that, hm? Have you seen it?”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, I have. And you’re wrong.”
    <sila> “Besides, like I said before, Whiteteeth can’t even overthrow anyone on this one world. His weakness is self-evident. He may be powerful compared to other people on this world, but he is nothing compared to the Creator.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “He’s spent over five millennia not even being able to beat a girl.”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Not the mother, perhaps, but he ate your first brood of mewling rats!”
    <sila> “Five millenia -?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady suddenly stomps her feet and screams at the top of her lungs, loud enough to deafen everyone. The bars over the pit melt and you hear some screaming from the pit.
    <sila> “…apparently he does want to die.”
  • Ellie is concerned about the lacking bars at the top… but then again, it may be unwise of him to actually show his face to the Lady right now….
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Can I have an execution? It will be quick! I’ll place him in the heat of the sun, or the airless frost of the darkened moon – the crushing depths of ocean, kill him!”
    <rkcgm> The Lady suddenly seems to regain her senses.
  • Sila sighs
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Sensetive topic.”
    <ellie> “If you want even the barest chance of living, Syrilth, you’d better start taking this process a WHOLE lot more seriously.”
    <sila> “You think?”
    <sila> (at Anna :P )
    <ellie> “So far, for my part, I’ve seen no evidence that you should be released. You seem to show no remorse for how you’ve treated those around you, and no sign that you’d ever even consider wanting to change.”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth’s voice sounds very pained. “It doesn’t matter. I was dead from the moment SHE captured me.”
    <sila> “Syrilth, the only reason we’re still talking is this:”
    <sila> “You are guilty by your own admission of murder, and the punishment is death. The Lady will not have mercy.”
    <havrasti> “Not necessarily. If you had truely repented and felt remose for what you’ve done, you might have lived.”
    <sila> “But God will have mercy on whomever he pleases, so if you hear the truth and repent, you might yet escape hell, by a scale’s thickness.”
    <ellie> “You weren’t dead from the moment she captured you. There’s a reason her treaty required a trial. A trial is not a foregone conclusion. But you seem to have made your life a foregone conclusion against an awfully lot of other people.”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Your god has mercy. Mine does not. Weakness in facing my appointed death will only result in punishment. I cannot relent.”
    <havrasti> “Then he’s not a god worth following.”
    <sila> “Fall on the mercy of the Creator, and {Whiteteeth} will not have the power to punish you.”
    <llewelyn>: “Maybe you’re serving the wrong god, then.”
    <ellie> “Do you really think mercilessness is the definition of the universe?”
    <ellie> “I mean, from the sound of things, maybe you do. Your god is merciless, and you are merciless, and you expect mercilessness from your enemies. But there is mercy – you recognize that in saying we serve One who shows mercy.”
  • Havrasti turns aside and asks the Lady, “Can you put a projection of God’s word on his wall, so that he can read it, but not destroy it?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Whiteteeth tells that your God shall lose because he shows mercy. It is a weakness to be exploited.”
    <havrasti> “A weak god can’t afford to show mercy. A strong God can show as much as he likes.”
    <llewelyn>: “My thoughts exactly.”
    <ellie> “Let me ask you this – if Whiteteeth were really god – really the source of everything – would he EVER have allowed freedom to what he created? Does he strike you as the kind of master who would choose to have anything outside of his control?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “No, he would not. Whiteteeth desires to fix that flaw in all creation.”
    <llewelyn>: “A flaw which let him choose to rebel in the first place?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “Uh. I suppose that’s right. Grave lack of foresight.”
    <ellie> “But how did that flaw come to be, Syrilth? If he has to fix it, how did it start int he first place?”
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “The first being permitted that flaw to be worked into all creation.”
    <havrasti> “It did let him rebel, yes, but it also let him not rebel, as he wanted. It let him want. Same with us.”
    <sila> “if you’re expecting to spend eternity as a willess puppet, why bother? Stand at the side of the Creator, and be the being of mind and spirit that God created you to be!”
    <ellie> “So Whiteteeth is not the First Being, by your own understanding as well. What if, like mercy, choice was something the First Being could allow because He is stronger than Whiteteeth?”
    <ellie> “Why would Whiteteeth hate that which isn’t under his control? Because those things show the limits of his power.”
    <ellie> “God allowed us choice because His power is great enough to deal with anything we decided to do with it.”
    <rkcgm> There is silence from the hole.
    <rkcgm> Syrilth: “…can you please not kill me yet? I have to think about that some more.”
    <sila> “Lady, I request that the accused receive a commutation of sentance for one month.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Seconded.”
    <havrasti> “Adjourning would be good.”
    <sila> “…and a Draconic-language Bible, and a light to read by.”
    <sila> “I can provide the Bible if you’ll allow him to have it.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “So it is granted, so it is done.”
    <sila> “All right then. See you in a month, Syrilth.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady spins her finger several times in a circle, and the cavern is partially transformed into a still-secure but slightly-more-comfortable-for-dragons environment.
    <rkcgm> Syrilth makes a sort of “I don’t want to appear grateful but kinda am” sound, and says nothing else.
    <ellie> “We will be praying for you, Syrilth. You’ve been desperately deceived. We do hope you come to see the truth.”
  • Sila cautiously sticks her head far enough out over the new bars to see Syrilth
    <rkcgm> Syrilth looks a bit like a smaller, more war-torn version of Havrasti.
  • Sila draws her head back, but refrains from commenting on his appearance
    <ellie> “So, Sila, you have a draconic Bible?”
    <sila> “Oh – I’ll have to fetch one from home. It’s the Maia-has-time-on-her-hands translation, with her personal study notes, heh.”
    <sila> “I digitized it in high-school, so I could have it on my computers. It also makes it easier to reproduce.”
    <sila> “I guess we can take Anna back to work, and hit up Kinkos or something. Bring it back tomorrow.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “You have it on your… electronical device?”
    <havrasti> “Yep.”
    <sila> “Yep!”
    <havrasti> “hmm, think you can copy it and make a giant one?”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “It is with you?”
    <sila> “It works better as several volumes, if one prints it for full size clawed hands…yes, sure, it’s on this one right here.”
    <sila> “Here, I’ll show you a sample…”
  • Sila brings up John 1 of the Maia translation to show the Lady
    <rkcgm> The Lady looks at Sila’s phone. “It will suffice.” She makes a beckoning motion towards the phone – which yelps – and there’s a sound of fluttering metal pages in the pit below.
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Come. We still must have you on your way.”
    <havrasti> “Alright.”
  • Sila glances down into the pit again
    <sila> “…I think she got my English and Spanish NIVs in there too…”
    <rkcgm> Sila catches the gleam of… huh, she copied the Bible on gold pages? Well that’s expensive.
    <ellie> But reverent.
  • Sila figures it’s appropriate, if one has the gold available.
    <rkcgm> You suddenly reappear in the garden, next to the door. …and Anna is human-looking again.
  • Sila checks her phone for damage :P
    <sila> (and puts back on her jewel of course)
    <havrasti> “…Where are my clothes? Did they get left behind?”
    <rkcgm> Sila’s phone has… no damage, unless you count an apparent increase in RAM as ‘damage’.
    <havrasti> ((how much of an increase?))
    <sila> “Huh. There’s another one to add to the ‘see if I can learn how to do it’ list…What did you say dear?”
    <rkcgm> ((Only about 10%.))
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “Clothes? Oh, those.”
    <havrasti> “That I’m hesitent to shape shift at the moment.”
    <rkcgm> Havrasti’s clothes suddenly flop out of midair onto his head.
    <havrasti> “…Thanks.”
    <rkcgm> The Lady: “…hm. I’m tired. I missed.”
    <rkcgm> Havrasti’s clothes disappear again and fall out of the air several feet in front of Havrasti’s head.
    <sila> “Hehe. Poor Havra, I’m going to start carrying around a bathrobe at all times, just for you.”
    <rkcgm> A few moments later, they reappear neatly-folded on the ground.
  • Havrasti thinks to himself, again, “Yep, quirky.”
    <havrasti> (meh, of the three appearances of the clothes, the second is their most common state when they’re not on Havrasti :P )
    <sila> “Thank you for coming on such short notice, Anna. I really appreciate it.”
    <rkcgm> Anna: “Eh, no problem, I guess. Even if we didn’t finally resolve the issue… Maybe he’ll have reconsidered by next time.”
    <havrasti> “It’s a good step in teh right direction.”
    <sila> “Yeah. Heh, still much more efficient than an American trial too.”
    == END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
<rkcgm> ((I think last time the Lady was seeing us out?))
<havrasti> ((yes))
<wayfarer> ((Yep. Determined the prisoner needed more time to reflect on his life choices, and he was granted a temporary reprieve by the Lady. So yeah, we were taking Anna home.))
<rkcgm> Anna: “Well, that was an interesting lunch break.”
<wayfarer> “Never a dull moment, eh?”
<havrasti> “Something to tell your co-workers about at the next break.”
<sila> “At least we didn’t keep you too long. Don’t forget to tell your boss you need off again in a month, though.”
<rkcgm> Anna raises an eyebrow. “A month?”
<rkcgm> Anna: “Oh, right.”:
<ellie> “Well, we will need to actually finish the trial. We only determined on a reprieve, yeh.”
<ellie> *yeah
<havrasti> “Well, given your line of work, I hope the rest of your day is less interesting.”
<ellie> “Heh. Yes. Sometimes boredom is a blessing.”
<rkcgm> Anna: “Eh, mostly going through some genetic evidence for a case I can’t really talk about yet.”
<ellie> “Fair enough.”
<havrasti> “Heh, don’t get too bored with that.”
<ellie> “Sounds sufficiently boring, but not too much so to me.”
<sila> “Guess we’ll leave you to it. Thanks for helping out.”
<rkcgm> Anna: “Yeah, not really boring, eh! Not a problem.”

  • Ellie turns to Llewelyn. “And what do we have next on our agenda? Did we have any other business in Iverindor?”
    <llewelyn>: “Nope. I got to look at the book I needed, picked up the box from my grandfather, and got the command stone. And I even got to fill this waterbottle at Seachnall’s Well.”
    <havrasti> “My wonderings exactly.”
    <ellie> “…When were we even near any sort of well?”
    <sila> “Explain to me again why you needed water from that particular well?”
    <llewelyn>: “It was that stream that we crossed on the way here. And it’s tasty water.”
  • Ellie shakes her head. “You always do like to preserve your air of mystery, don’t you?”
    <ellie> She is grinning mischievously.
    <llewelyn> drinks a sip of the water.
    <llewelyn>: “Yup, especially on this secret project.”
    <ellie> “Well hurry up with it, won’t you, so we can all find out what you’re working on.”
    <llewelyn> grins: “Oh, you want to see? You’re curious? Tiny bit?”
    <havrasti> “Until then, shall we head back to your grandfather’s to say goodbye?”
  • Ellie snerks. “I can tell that it would be extremely imprudent to answer ‘yes.’”
    <llewelyn>: “No, Grandfather was going to be out for a few more days. We can head back to Linn Mhuir, but there’s no reason to.”
    <llewelyn>: “Besides, you are all curious.”
    <havrasti> “Maaaaayes.”
    <llewelyn>: “Let’s get back to the car, then, and make a portal home.”
  • Ellie sighs. “I suppose for once I shall be imprudent.”
  • Ellie is grinning, however, and ready to follow the others to the car.
    <llewelyn> starts walking. “Anyway, aside from the somewhat real possibility of muffing it up, I want to show you guys what I’ve been working on, too.”
    <ellie> “Heh. Fair enough.”
  • Ellie follows close by Llewellyn in heading to the car.
    <sila> “I don’t know whether to be relieved or afraid.”
    <ellie> “Hehehe. Aaah, well, we’ll find out soon enough, I guess.”
  • Havrasti helps Sila into the car
    <havrasti> “I look forward to finding out what it’s all about.”
  • Sila resists
    <sila> “I have to cast the portal, silly.”
    <havrasti> “Oh, right.”
  • Sila gives Havrasti a peck on the cheek and starts casting
    <llewelyn> does help Ellie into the car, and smiles at her. “D’aw, true love.”
  • Ellie giggles. “Thank you, good Sir. And I’ll even admit to a little curiosity.”
    <sila> (do you want me to roll for the portal, or are we to the point of assuming I can hit DEAR HQ without rolling?)
    <rkcgm> ((I’m assuming you can hit without rolling, unless you’re in odd circumstances.))
  • Sila opens a car-sized portal to the DEAR garage
    <llewelyn>: “Excellent. Everyone keep your hands and toes inside the car…”
    <sila> "Go ahead and drive through, I want to video the transition as it drives across the “no-green” boundary."
    <llewelyn>: “Okay then.”
    <llewelyn> drives through without any issues.
    <rkcgm> The Oshkosh stays the same blue-camo color on the other side.
    <sila> “Aww.”
  • Sila folows it through
    <llewelyn> gets out and stares at the Oshkosh. “Huh.”
    <ellie> “Do things usually stay color shifted?”
    <rkcgm> Once Sila’s no longer filming, the vehicle changes back to green coloration.
    <llewelyn>: “Ha, called it. It’s shy.”
    <sila> “The vehicle, or the magic?”
    <llewelyn>: “The magic.”
    <havrasti> “That’s a new one.”
    <ellie> “I’m torn between being analytical, and just refusing to even try and analyze it…”
    <ellie> “As MacDonald says, it’s no use trying to account for things in faerie land…”
    <sila> “Ah well. At least my eyes should be back to normal now, right?”
    <llewelyn>: “When you work with magic for long enough, you start to get the feeling that it’s sometimes off drunk in a pub somewhere and having fun at your expense.”
  • Havrasti mutters, “Elven magic, maybe.”
    <llewelyn> says nothing.
    <ellie> “Anyway, are we heading off to see what your mysterious project is, or aren’t we?”
    <sila> “…dragon magic has more of a ‘wide-winged showoff’ personality, really. Not usually shy, but sometimes prone to exessive flare.”
    <llewelyn>: “I think we are. Let’s go to my office first. I need to get the duck.”
    <sila> “Oh boy…”
  • Sila follows Llewelyn up to the office
    <llewelyn> grabs a cardboard box on his way.
  • Ellie follows Llewelyn. “Need any help?”
    <llewelyn> arrives at his office, grabs his staff, places the marble duck in the box, and then starts rifling through his file cabinet.
    <llewelyn>: “Well, we’ll need the handtruck to carry that back down to the garage. I can’t show you in here.”
    <ellie> “Where’s the handtruck?”
    <llewelyn>: “Utility closet…”
    <havrasti> “Down the hall, a left then right.”
  • Ellie heads to the utility closet and brings it back.
  • Havrasti rmembers where it is perfectly
    <llewelyn> removes a plastic container of dirt from his filing cabinet, and puts it in the box with the duck. He then puts his water-bottle in the box with the duck.
    <llewelyn>: “Okay, back to the garage…”
    <havrasti> “Ah, something special with that water, or would any have done?”
    <llewelyn>: “Any would’ve done, but I like the taste of this kind best. And since we were going to Iverindor anyway, I decided to get some.”
    <llewelyn>: “Call me selfish.”
    <ellie> “Heh”
    <llewelyn> puts the box down in the middle of the garage and pauses for a few moments.
    <llewelyn>: “Okay, okay, psych… Let’s see…”
  • Sila places a mental bet about what this is going to become
  • Ellie is placing no bets, mental or otherwise. She’s just going to wait and see.
    <llewelyn> grabs his staff, grabs the command stone, and huffs.
  • Havrasti comments to Sila “Giant animated duck, a horde of ducks, somethign completely different? Spell goes awry?”
    <llewelyn>: “So the question I kept expecting Havrasti to ask was ‘Llewelyn, why are you using that marble duck to collect leftover magic energy at the end of the day?’ But nobody ever asked that one. It’s simple – because, weirdly, marble is one of the cheapest materials for storing magic easily.”
    <llewelyn> casts a magic circle (vs difficult)
    <rkcgm> !8d6: Llewelyn’s roll
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “Llewelyn’s roll”: (5+1+3+4+4+3+2+4). Total: 26.
    <rkcgm> !5d6: vs difficult
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “vs difficult”: (4+4+5+5+1). Total: 19.
    <rkcgm> ((thhbt. I use my gold.))
  • Sila whispers “What the water, I’m guessing something fountainesque, probably designed to spit tasty water at the unwary.”
    <rkcgm> !16d6: gold re-roll
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “gold re-roll”: (1+2+3+2+3+1+1+2+2+5+6+2+1+6+6+4). Total: 47.
    <llewelyn> casts a magic circle that spiders out through half of the garage. ((It gives him 2 dice for future castings made inside the circle.))
    <havrasti> ((oh, we can do that? :P))
    <rkcgm> ((It was the ability I took at the last level-up.))
    <havrasti> ((ahhh))
    <llewelyn>: “…and why do I need to easily store magic and then get a command stone? Because I’m going to use a lot of it…”
    <llewelyn> casts the big one.
    <rkcgm> !10d6: Llewelyn vs very difficult
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “Llewelyn vs very difficult”: (1
    6+2+1+5+6+1+1+3+3). Total: 29.
    <rkcgm> !6d6: very difficult
    <painbot> [<rkcgm>] rolled “very difficult”: (3+6+6+1+4+2). Total: 22.
  • Ellie is watching curiously, but is mostly fending off too much eagerness. Llewelyn is FAR too obviously trying to build up the suspence. ;-)
    <havrasti> “…But why a duck?”
    <ellie> “Probably just because it was marble and available.”
    <rkcgm> All the lights go out and you are plunged into complete darkness.
    <sila> “Did you /mean/ to do that, Llewelyn?”
    <llewelyn>: “AHAHAHA it worked.”
  • Sila listens for the electrical system
    <rkcgm> Sila: there is no electrical system.
    <ellie> “Heh. So your goal was to plunge us all into the dark?”
    <llewelyn>: “Wait for it… and there was light.”
    <rkcgm> A small sun turns on. There’s the sound of things crashing around.
    <sila> “…What happened to the /lights/ Llewelyn?”
    <ellie> “Okay, so… are you going to provide narration, Llewelyn?”
    <rkcgm> …and you’re standing on the stone patio of a little house sitting on a small partly rocky, partly sandy peninsula sticking out into a calm ocean. There’s a clear sky overhead and stuff is growing like crazy.
    <havrasti> “…Did you make a pocket world?”
    <llewelyn> looks around.
    <llewelyn>: “Maaaybe.”
  • Sila listens for the pocket signature, if any
    <ellie> “…Does one make a pocket world, or… find it?”
    <rkcgm> ((Small one, but totally correct – it’s a pocket world.))
    <llewelyn> looks over at Ellie. “And so what’s the purpose of going to all this trouble, my dear? I hope that-”
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon Sugar suddenly runs between his legs and jumps at Ellie, mraowing loudly.
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon: “Say yes, human, say yes! Mrow!”
    <ellie> “…My goodness gracious. Where did you come from? And what are you mewing about?” Ellie kneels to pick Cinnamon up."
    <llewelyn> freezes for a moment. “Uh, I’m the one who’s supposed to kneel, you know?”
    <sila> “Hm. Not bad…awfully rustic…”
    <llewelyn> has pulled out a fancy-looking old ring.
  • Ellie looks up at Llewelyn, though she blushes. “Umm… I suppose I can correct that.” She stands, and then sees the ring.
    <ellie> A smile spreads over her face, though her blush deepens.
    <llewelyn>: “Ettelewen Ross, would you please-”
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon mraows. “Say yes, say yes!”
  • Ellie giggles. She telepathies to the cat, /You need to let him finish, or I can’t./
    <llewelyn>: “…marry me?”
  • Ellie smiles even more widely. “Yes. Oh yes.” She reaches down to take his free hand.
    <llewelyn> grins: “Oh, yay.”
    <llewelyn> snaps his fingers once. There are fireworks.
  • Ellie giggles, then sits down next to Llewelyn, pulling him from his knee into a hug.
    <rkcgm> Karley: “D’aw!”
  • Havrasti hugs Sila
  • Sila asides to Havrasti, “I know one is supposed to have a lair before proposing, but this seems a rather extravagant way of going about it, hehe.”
    <ellie> “You, Sir, are amazing. I love you.”
    <llewelyn>: “I love you too.”
    <llewelyn>: “So, uh. Shall I explain the magic trick further?”
    <havrasti> “Sure. It does look like a nice place.”
    <ellie> “Yes, I think we’d all like to hear.” Ellie says this snuggled up next to Llewelyn on the sand. Cinnamon is curled in her lap, purring loudly and happily.
    <llewelyn> points at the rocky part of the peninsula. “So… the foundations of it all was the marble duck. Representative of the stone to build on.”
  • Ellie smiles at the symbolism.
    <ellie> ((Correction. They’re sitting on the patio, not the sand.))
    <llewelyn>: “I read about how pocket worlds were created a long time ago, in that book… which I didn’t remember all of it, specifically how to grab all the matter you need… I didn’t create any of the actual matter, I’d note.”
    <ellie> “Just determined how to put it together, then.”
    <sila> “Funny, there seems to be a lot more of it than was in the box.”
    <llewelyn>: “Right. You need representative elements, though.”
    <ellie> “Heee! So water from the well you like so much…”
    <ellie> “Where was the soil from?”
    <llewelyn>: “So I got the marble duck… at a yard sale, and a bucket of dirt and sand from the shore of Lake Superior, and the water from Seachnall’s Well.”
    <rkcgm> ((Sorry – Lake Huron.))
    <ellie> “Heh. And here we all thought you were going to animate that duck and use it as a prank.”
  • Ellie looks around. “I love it.”
    <sila> “Does that mean the lake is particularly nice to drink?”
    <havrasti> “Much more satisfying than a prank.”
    <llewelyn>: “Yes, it should have a bit of a sweet taste.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh! Oh! Check out the thermostat in the house, please, Ellie.”
  • Ellie raises an eyebrow. “The thermostat, huh. Okay. Where will it be?” Ellie scoops up Cinnamon and stands.
    <llewelyn>: “Main hallway.”
  • Ellie walks inside and looks for the “main hallway.”
    <ellie> And also, incidentally, of course, looks around at the house. ;-)
    <rkcgm> Currently, the house looks very Queen Anne style, both inside and outside.
  • Havrasti looks behind him for the first time for where the house is
    <ellie> ((We’re on the porch ;-) )
  • Ellie is delighted with what she’s seeing of the house, incidentally.
    <rkcgm> In the main hallway, there’s a thermostat which is labeled: ‘I want it to be…’ and there’s a half-dozen tick-marks running between ‘Winter’ and ‘Summer’.
  • Sila follows curiously
  • Ellie grins, thinking she knows where this is going. Is there a window somewhat near the thermostat?
    <rkcgm> ((Yes.))
  • Ellie turns the thermostat to “Winter,” then glances out the window expectantly.
    <rkcgm> Something about the interior of the house changes so it resembles more of a mountain chalet. The windows partially frost up, there’s snow on the ground, and the fireplace comes to life.
  • Ellie chuckles. “Heeee! Oh my goodness.”
    <ellie> “Okay, then, let’s try them each.” She tics it to the next mark.
    <havrasti> “Wow. Impressive…. can we go back to summer?”
    <ellie> “Hehe. I want to see what each of them are, though.”
    <rkcgm> The house changes to something that looks like a Japanese house in autumn, with golden leaves on all the maple trees outside.
  • Ellie shakes her head, grinning. She tics it to the next.
    <sila> “Heh, small but complicated… /very/ Llewelyn.”
  • Ellie snerks and nods.
    <rkcgm> There seems to be – in order – a winter chalet, a Japanese autumn garden house, a late summer farmhouse, an early summer Polynesian beach house, a spring Queen Anne’s house (with turrets!) and an early winter stone-built castle (Scottish baronial style).
    <rkcgm> The house’s floorplan never seems to change, but all the interior decorations change to match the appropriate house style.
  • Ellie turns to Llewelyn. “You, sir, have outdone yourself. This is utterly brilliant.”
    <llewelyn> grins. “Thanks.”
  • Sila has a sudden thought and starts looking for the portal, or however Llewelyn figures on getting in and out.
    <sila> “But where is the entrance…is it permanently bound to the DEAR garage??”
    <llewelyn>: “Nope.”
    <sila> “Well that’s good…”
  • Sila keeps poking around
    <llewelyn> points to the front door and closes it. “Ellie, I convinced your mom to loan me her talent with doors. Open this – er, with the hand your ring is on, please.”
  • Ellie follows the instructions.
    <havrasti> “Ah, so you schemed with her a bit, did you?”
    <rkcgm> Ellie’s mom and dad are standing on the other side, in their living room back in Michigan. “Hey kids!”
    <ellie> “Heee! Mom, Dad!”
    <llewelyn>: “Actually, I schemed with them a lot.”
    <rkcgm> Ellie’s Dad: “I insisted on it.”
  • Ellie runs through the door to give her mom and dad a hug and show them the ring.
    <ellie> “Hehehe. Of course you did.”
    <ellie> “High time you got your daughter married off, huh?” She winks at her father.
    <rkcgm> Cal Ross half-smiles: “Eh, he’s okay.”
    <sila> (At Llewelyn) "So…you /could/ lair here, but it would look like you were /living with your inlaws/ "
  • Ellie snickers at her father’s answer. “Wow, your highest form of praise!”
    <havrasti> “Maybe the door can open onto multiple palces?”
    <ellie> “No, wait. Your highest form would be to say you’d trust him to work on your cars…”
    <llewelyn> has a moment’s panic. “No, not that!”
    <rkcgm> Cal Ross: “Shh. We’re going to need to work on that Cuban junker you brought back.”
    <ellie> “Oh. So you’ll trust him to /help/ you work on /his/ car. Well… that’s still pretty high praise.” Ellie looks back at Llewelyn mischievously.
    <rkcgm> Cal: “We’ll work on it.”
    <ellie> She turns to hug her mother, as well.
    <rkcgm> Cal goes over to the thermostat and starts turning it from summer to winter repeatedly.
    <rkcgm> Laurie Ross hugs Ellie.
    <ellie> Ellie and Laure don’t need to exchange much in words. The looks they exchange, however, make their deep happiness evident.
  • Sila laughs at Cal
  • Ellie looks back to Llewelyn. “So how /does/ the door work? Does it always go hear if I use my left hand? Where else does it go?”
    <havrasti> “Don’t burn it out, Cal.”
    <llewelyn>: “You can use any door you want, so long as it’s with intention to get here and has roughly similar dimensions.”
    <llewelyn>: “And you can open this front door, with intention, to get to most any door on Earth. Sorry, not to Esserea.”
    <ellie> “Ooh. That’ll be helpful. Yay, no work commute!”
    <rkcgm> Cal turns it all the way to early summer, and then wanders outside. A few moments later, he comes back in and looks at his wife. “They have an infinity pool with a hot tub. That’s not fair.”
  • Ellie giggles. “Jealous, Dad?”
    <rkcgm> Cal grumbles.
    <ellie> “Hmm. How do cell phones work here?”
    <ellie> “I imagine they’re isolated from the cell phone network…”
    <llewelyn> blinks. “Uh…”
    <sila> “It /is/ a different world you konw.”
    <sila> “How do you get back in if you close the door you went out to?”
    <sila> “Or is the ring the carrier for the door enchantment?”
    <llewelyn>: “…how about I get back to you on cell phones?”
    <rkcgm> Laurie Ross: “The ring’s the carrier.”
    <sila> “Did you do one for him too?”
    <ellie> “Hehehe. Well I mean, it is nice sometimes to be cut off from all the world. But I imagine DEAR might have problems with two of its agents being completely unreachable half the time.”
    <llewelyn>: “I didn’t think of that. I got the electricity part, but not the communications part.”
    <rkcgm> Laurie Ross: “I’ll make one for him later.”
    <havrasti> “Has anyone gotten that sort of thing to work across worlds?”
    <ellie> “Heh. Aaah, well. Maybe a permanent mini-Way with wiring run through it?”
    <llewelyn>: “That’s what I did with the electricity.”
    <sila> “Ah, good, you can push a phone landline through the same way then.”
    <sila> “Or cable-and-phone, or whatever.”
    <ellie> “Yeah, should be easy enough to work around.”
  • Ellie turns back to her mom. “Ooooh! We have a new project: Wedding Dress!”
    <rkcgm> Laurie: “I have so many ideas!”
    <ellie> “Eeee!” Ellie giggles and does an excited bit of a dance.
    <havrasti> “So what’s this place’s mailing address?”
    <ellie> “I imagine we’ll have a post office box somewhere.”
    <sila> “Maybe they’ll have a PO Box, hehe.”
    <llewelyn>: “Post office box.”
    <sila> (( so much ninja :P ))
    <llewelyn> points to a box next to the door.
    <ellie> “Heh. You’ve got it connected to a post office box already?”
    <llewelyn>: “I planned ahead! On everything except internet.”
    <ellie> “Hehehehee! You did amazingly.” Ellie returns to Llewelyn and gives him another hug.
    <llewelyn>: “Thanks.”
    <ellie> “So… have you started thinking about a wedding date yet?”
    <havrasti> “So, will you host DEAR summer parties? Regardless of season?” ;)
    <llewelyn>: “A date? No, I figured we’d want to talk about that.”
    <llewelyn>: “And… maybe. We’ll see.”
    <ellie> “So… I’d love for you to take me on a tour of our house,” Ellie grins up at Llewelyn.
    <llewelyn>: “Sure!”
    <llewelyn>: “Well, we’re in the living room now… or the great hall when we’re castled up. Or the open breeze-room when we’re going South Pacific.”
    <sila> “I’d like a tour too, but I think it’d be fairest to let him show off for you, first. Mind if I set it to summer and go swimming?”
  • Ellie giggles.
    <llewelyn>: “Go ahead.”
  • Ellie nods her agreement. She’s looped her arm through Llewelyn’s so he can guide her.
    <havrasti> “Any dangerous currents here to be ware of?”
    <llewelyn>: “Nope. The water should be shallow most of the way to the edge, particularly on the summer setting. Pretty much a snorkelling lagoon.”
    <havrasti> “Nice. Time to scale-dip.”
    <sila> “And see if this drinking water stands up to the hype, heheh.”
    <rkcgm> ((Outside, there are palm trees and everything seems to be a slightly breezy 95. Inside the house – which in summer-mode has half of the walls removed for fresh air – it seems to be about 80.))
    <ellie> ((I’m surprised Llewelyn invented a home for himself that included such warm temperatures. ;-) ))
    <rkcgm> ((He knows how to be self-sacrificing, he just doesn’t like to be. :P ))
    <ellie> ((Hehehehe))
    <rkcgm> ((But for the right cause.))
    <havrasti> ((though it’s probably not too bad when swimming))
  • Sila takes off her jewel and investigates
    <rkcgm> (Link: https://cdn.batuta.com/media/1392618/%D9%85%D9%86%D8%AA%D8%AC%D8%B9-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%AC%D8%B2%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%8A%D9%81-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%83%D8%AC.jpg?404=default)https://cdn.batuta.com/media/1392618/%D9%85%D9%86%D8%AA%D8%AC%D8%B9-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%AC%D8%B2%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%8A%D9%81-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%83%D8%AC.jpg?404=default this is the color of the water outside, btw
    <ellie> ((I imagine it will be summer a lot when the dragons come visiting, but other seasons most of the time when it’s just Ellie and Llewelyn. ;-) ))
    <havrasti> ((also probably not much humidity…. or bugs ;) ))
    <rkcgm> ((There’s definitely a complete lack of noticeable bugs.))
    <rkcgm> Downstairs on the main floor, Llewelyn shows Ellie the living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast nook overlooking the sea (it has a bay window in the Queen Anne version), bathroom, etc…
    <rkcgm> There’s also an infinity pool out front, with a spa. All the decor seems to be South Pacific themed, and everything’s built of a dark, almost black wood.
    <rkcgm> The upstairs has more bedrooms, including a very large circular master bedroom that’s 75% windows looking out over the ocean.
    <ellie> “Oooh, this is gorgeous!”
    <ellie> “I love it so much!”
  • Ellie excitedly explores everything, peeking in closets and looking out windows.
    <llewelyn> notes that his library in the basement doesn’t change interior designs.
    <sila> ((hehe of Course the library is the most stable part of the house!))
    <ellie> “Heh. So long as it has some bookshelves free for me,” Ellie winks.
    <llewelyn>: “I made it with growth room.”
  • Ellie laughs. “Absoultely appropriate. You really did think ahead.”
    <llewelyn>: “I tried to.”
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon runs up to Ellie. <look>
  • Ellie looks to Cinnamon. /What is it?/
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon runs off to a corner of the room and pauses next to a cat-sized hinged door in the wall – which leads to a cat-sized ‘secret passage’ going to other rooms.
  • Ellie giggles. /But where did you come out? I can’t follow you, you know./
  • Ellie then turns to Llewelyn, “Is that how you convinced him to take your side and beg me to say yes?” She’s teasing, of course.
    <rkcgm> Cinnamon mraows excitedly and disappears into the passage. You hear running-cat-paws for a few minutes in the walls, and then Cinnamon reappears from a different bedroom.
    <sila> “Does it go through the wire-Way too?”
  • Ellie is chuckling at the cat’s excitement.
    <llewelyn>: “I didn’t actually bribe him at all.”
    <ellie> “Hehhee. I do have to ask how he got to be here. In your ‘big reveal’ moment, weren’t you making the place? He couldn’t have been here beforehand…”
    <llewelyn> shrugs. “I blame your mother?”
    <sila> ((so if there’s stuff growing, does that mean there’s a whole micro-ecology here? birds, fish, etc?))
  • Ellie chuckles. “Uhuh. …Well, likely as anything, I guess.”
    <rkcgm> ((Closer inspection shows that most of the plants are actually very convincing illusions, since the trees change from, say, maples to palm trees based on the settings.))
    <havrasti> ((ahhhh))
    <sila> “We need to stock their pond for them so there will be fish to chase.”
    <sila> “…maybe bring in a few ducks, heheh.”
    <ellie> ((Do I sense a probable wedding gift? ;-) ))
    <sila> (quite possibly, yes, if they go for it when Sila suggests it to them; right now, she’s talking to Havrasti out in the water)
    <ellie> ((I was just saying eventually Llewellyn will have to add a greenhouse so Ellie can grow actual plants that won’t end up hurt when they change the season dial ;-) )
    <sila> ((ila’s pitch will be along the lines of "Fresh eggs! Hormone free poultry at holidays! Feathers for stuffing into pillows!))
    <ellie> ((Hehehhee!))
  • Sila swims a few laps around the pond/sea, becoming increasingly introspective, and eventually gets out and goes looking for Llewelyn
    <llewelyn> is just finishing the house tour.
    <sila> ((so, in the Library?))
    <rkcgm> ((Probably main airway / living room.))
  • Sila comes up the steps to the front door.
    <sila> “Llewelyn, about that book that told you how to do this… I think I need a look at it myself. Maybe a copy of it; it’s written for practitioners of a different school of magic, so it might take a logn time to unravel it enough to figure it out.”
    <llewelyn>: “Oh?”
    <sila> “I need a place like this. Really /need/ it. But…bigger. Mom and the family will probably all have to help. It needs flying space for the little ones you know?”
    <sila> “Because, you know. I /didn’t/ have to settle for a human. My kids won’t /be/ half-human like I always though.”
    <sila> “I need a nesting grounds. A training grounds. A place where I can teach my younger-sibs and offspring to hunt without worrying about being shot at!”
    <llewelyn>: "Quite true. Though weren’t you going to take over the dragonhunter’s old pocket?
    <sila> “That was before I realized it was possible to /make our own/ Llewelyn. There could still be /dragonhunters/ that know how to get into their old pocket. I want a place that’s safe for hatchlings!”
    <llewelyn>: “Fair enough. I can write down for you everything you need and how to do it.”
    <sila> “Do that then – please. If you can do, then I’m sure any world-walker can learn. And you can’t…well, ok, you probably can imagine very well just how motivated I am to do it.”
    <sila> “That way, even if something happens, and things aren’t all safe and stable outside, I won’t have to be afraid to quicken my eggs. My children won’t ever get caught spending centuries in the shell because some lunatic humans have a disagreement about political borders or, or whatever.”
    <ellie> “I’ll admit I can see many advantages to raising a family in… one’s own little world, really.”
    <llewelyn>: “Sure. You’ll need a command stone, though.”
    <sila> “I’ll find a way to get one. Maybe your grandmother will do me a favor for helping her deal with juries, by and by.”
    <llewelyn>: “Maybe.”
    <llewelyn> pulls out the command stone he used, which looks like it got partially ashed. “I’d offer to loan you this one, except it was a one-time use thing.”
    <sila> “Burned out?”
    <sila> “I thought people used them on staffs.”
    <havrasti> “A big thing like this would use it all up.”
    <llewelyn>: “They do. That’s why I needed it – otherwise, that would’ve happened to my hands or something.”
    <ellie> “This must’ve used rather more than one on a staff would usually have to manage.”
    <sila> “Ah. Well, I’ll work on it. Anyway…thanks. I know it’s neither simple nor easy, but this means a lot to me. The one thing that’s really made me nervous since I got married was wondering if I could handle raising kids in hiding, how I could do better on the parts that bothered me worst as a child. I think this will make a world of difference.”
  • Ellie smirks and mutters, “No pun intended.”
    <sila> “…and if you find any more yard-sale marble statuary, call me, I believe we’re in the market for some.”
  • Havrasti chuckles
    <llewelyn>: “Sure. I can’t say ‘no problems’, but as I just proved… doable.”
  • Sila nods
    <sila> “It’s pretty, by the way. The structure I mean. The music of it is nice.”
    <havrasti> “So, Sila, what do you want our house to be like?”
    <llewelyn>: “Thanks.”
    == END LOG ==
View
Arc 9 Part 2
Cuban Pete

== START LOG ==
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Last week, you ended up in the middle of an anti-government political rally led by shapeshifted dragon Pedro Iglesias, who is in the process of orchestrating a coup to overthrow the communist government of Cuba.
4:51 PM <sila> “My what unusual weather we’re having.”
4:51 PM <rkcgm> ((He’s nothing if not ambitious.))
4:51 PM <ellie> ((Rocks fall… We roll the super-special gold coin.))
4:51 PM <rkcgm> A group of dragonhunters led by Lockwood, a very powerful mage, decided to crash the rally (since they’d been hired to off Iglesias by the Cuban government).
4:51 PM <rkcgm> The coup plotters friendly to Pedro instead arrested five of the six groups of dragon-hunters, leaving you to deal with the last one, led by Lockwood himself.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood now realizes that the Cubans turned on him, and has determined to take matters violently and decisively into his own hands. His initial action has resulted in the clear Havana sky quickly clouding up with lightning and hail.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> ((Now, roll speed for init order…))
4:52 PM <ellie> !5d6: speed
4:52 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “speed”: (4+5+2+1+6). Total: 18.
4:52 PM <havrasti> !4d6
4:52 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “4d6”: (5+5+4+3). Total: 17.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> ((Ooh, um. I forgot to stat out Lockwood’s five associates. Oops.))
4:52 PM <sila> !5d6: I’ve got your number, slayer…
4:52 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “I’ve got your number, slayer…”: (2+4+6+6+2). Total: 20.
4:53 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Llewelyn’s speed
4:53 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s speed”: (5+4+4+4). Total: 17.
4:53 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Lockwood and company
4:53 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood and company”: (5+1+2+6). Total: 14.
4:54 PM <rkcgm> ((So… looks like Sila, Ellie, Lockwood&Co, Havrasti, Llewelyn.))
4:54 PM <rkcgm> SILA
4:55 PM <rkcgm> ((Pause for snacks. :P ))
5:11 PM * Sila does the obvious-for-her thing and checks for more enemy tech she can Persuade to her service, or at least their disservice
5:12 PM <rkcgm> ((Perception versus standard.))
5:12 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: it’s not easy only because there’s hail and lightning.
5:12 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “it’s not easy only because there’s hail and lightning.”: (6+3+1). Total: 10.
5:12 PM <sila> !5d6: listening with other ears…
5:12 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “listening with other ears…”: (3+2+2+6+2). Total: 15.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> Three of the five mages up there with Lockwood have FitBits and the latest Apple watches.
5:15 PM * Sila sets all alarms and alerts to go off in sequence starting in 2 seconds, and makes the displays read “All your base are belong to us!” (She’s been craving a good excuse to use that line all day.)
5:16 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll versus intermediate…))
5:16 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: apple designers didn’t anticipate this
5:16 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “apple designers didn’t anticipate this”: (3+5+4+3). Total: 15.
5:16 PM <sila> * If any of the above have internet connectivity, she also set them to using their communication channels to post their GPS coordinates with the message “I’m attempting murder at this location right now!”
5:16 PM <sila> !6d6: not as good as that song, but still distracting
5:16 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “not as good as that song, but still distracting”: (4+4+4+6+6+5). Total: 29.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit))
5:17 PM <sila> !2d6:
5:17 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled "": (2+6). Total: 8.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Red to party.))
5:17 PM <rkcgm> BeepbeepbeepBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP!
5:19 PM <sila> ((can I also make it so they fail to respond to the power button? Or is it too late to add stuff? :P ))
5:19 PM <havrasti> ((maybe as part of the crit benefit?))
5:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure, I’ll allow that with the crit.))
5:20 PM * Sila only regrets that Lockewood has already thrown away his cellphone :P
5:20 PM * Ellie was still tapped into their telepathy net. Can she “watch” for reactions? She’s wanting to evaluate how distractable these people are.
5:21 PM * Sila mutters for hopefully Pedro’s ears only, “Watch out for falling watches, they’re throwing stuff off the memorial.”
5:21 PM <rkcgm> A few of the affected individuals glance at their beeping devices, and you all hear a shout of disgust from Lockwood. “Bah, an electronic drake? That explains a lot… throw those away, you idiots!”
5:22 PM * Sila is still invisible under Pedro’s table, as a reminder to the rest of the party.
5:23 PM <sila> ((There you go, spend an action – even a half-action – removing the distractions. Give everyone else 6 seconds to move…))
5:23 PM <sila> ((I figure I’m done now))
5:23 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE
5:27 PM <ellie> !6d6: INT to evaluate, based on the reactions she saw, how much of a waste of time earworm distraction would be…
5:27 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “INT to evaluate, based on the reactions she saw, how much of a waste of time earworm distraction would be…”: (1+6+1+6+4+5). Total: 23.
5:27 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: versus easy
5:27 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus easy”: (2+2). Total: 4.
5:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Probably not going to have that much of an effect.))
5:28 PM * Ellie sets aside the delightful thought of malicious annoyance and tries to come up with another plan…
5:30 PM * Ellie decides instead to go for a stretch, and try for a blinding/hot ball of light right in Lockwood’s face…
5:30 PM <ellie> !6d6: lightbending magic
5:30 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “lightbending magic”: (1+3+4+5+3+1). Total: 17.
5:30 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
5:30 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (2+6+2+3). Total: 13.
5:31 PM <ellie> ((If Havrasti were willing to donate a green, I could keep the five and re-roll the rest. I’d use a blue, but those two 1s…))
5:31 PM <havrasti> ((sure, have the green))
5:32 PM <ellie> !5d6: keeping the 5
5:32 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping the 5”: (1+2+1+3+1). Total: 8.
5:32 PM <ellie> ((…grumbles at the dicebot))
5:33 PM <ellie> ((What do we think? Try something else, or let it go?))
5:34 PM <ellie> ((I mean… at this point, I think the only things out there that /could/ help would be a red or a gold. The vs. roll shouldn’t be that hard to beat, but… the way the bot is hating me… :-p ))
5:34 PM <sila> ((I think the answer depends a bit on wider strategy…))
5:34 PM <havrasti> ((the RNGs are colluding against you :P ))
5:35 PM <sila> ((I have a red I could donate, though, as does the party))
5:35 PM <sila> ((the question is, would the damage done upon success be worth it?))
5:35 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, I’d point out that with all those 1s, it’s currently a crit fail, and since Havrasti donated, it’s going to explode on him, not Ellie.))
5:36 PM <ellie> ((Oh. Well… worth re-doing, then. :-p))
5:36 PM <sila> ((Yeah, have my red at least then.))
5:36 PM <ellie> !6d6: another roll; let’s try for being nicer, bot?
5:36 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “another roll; let’s try for being nicer, bot?”: (2+5+2+3+4+1). Total: 17.
5:37 PM <ellie> ((…glares at the bot. GLARES AT IT))
5:37 PM <havrasti> ((at least it’s not a crit fail))
5:37 PM <rkcgm> ((Not a success, but not going to do something to you guys, either.))
5:38 PM <ellie> ((I could leave it be, or I could use one of my own blues now to see if I can get a success. Soooo annoying to go through all that and not make it… but… :-p))
5:38 PM <ellie> ((What does party think?))
5:39 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, let it be for now, can’t win all the time))
5:39 PM <sila> ((yeah, get closer, try again. It’s a long way up there in poor weather, it’s no wonder Ellie’s having trouble :P ))
5:40 PM <ellie> ((Yeah… it’s just the difference between trying to redeem resources and… eh, well, at least we avoided the crit fail. :-p ))
5:40 PM * Ellie finds herself having a looot of trouble with the distance…
5:40 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes, save your coins for when they start hitting back.))
5:41 PM <rkcgm> BADDIES
5:43 PM <rkcgm> About half of the mages are distracted by removing their electronic devices. Lockwood and the ugly guy standing next to him are not among them.
5:45 PM <rkcgm> The Ugly Guy makes some wacky pantomime gestures, and the giant monument they’re standing on starts getting really fat at the base, and sinking into the ground; the viewing platform starts sliding slowly down the side until it reaches the bottom.
5:45 PM <rkcgm> ((The enemies are now on your level.))
5:46 PM <havrasti> “I don’t think the locals will like that.”
5:46 PM * Ellie is also kinda freaked out… :-p
5:46 PM <rkcgm> !1d4: which other mage isn’t distracted by the beeping?
5:46 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “which other mage isn’t distracted by the beeping?”: (1). Total: 1.
5:46 PM * Sila agrees, but doesn’t want to say it aloud in front of the massive crowd of locals O.o
5:48 PM <rkcgm> The third mage who isn’t distracted has something like a twin-barreled flintlock blunderbuss, which he points in the direction of Pedro; he fires one barrel.
5:49 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: dexterity versus Pedro’s dex to hit him
5:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “dexterity versus Pedro’s dex to hit him”: (5+3+4+4+4+5+6+5). Total: 36.
5:49 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: Pedro tries to duck for cover
5:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Pedro tries to duck for cover”: (6+3+6). Total: 15.
5:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Ahahahahaha.))
5:49 PM <havrasti> ((yay))
5:50 PM <ellie> ((Hehe))
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Pedro jumps down from the table and gets behind cover, right as the blunderbuss discharges a glowing green flaming dragon’s head that swoops back and forth over the crowd, looking for a target. After a few moments, it kinda dissipates.
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “Oh come on, that’s cheating hacks!”
5:52 PM <sila> ((LOL))
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood rolls his eyes. The people he has to work with…
5:52 PM <havrasti> “OK, the tower and that… gun… they started with the open use of magic. I’d like it on record.”
5:52 PM <sila> ((All’s fair in love and assasination attempts, dude.))
5:52 PM <sila> “Started with the weather, actually.”
5:53 PM <ellie> “Do you really think it’s going to matter who started it?!” Ellie hisses back to Havrasti.
5:53 PM <sila> “Llewelyn, any idea what that was??”
5:55 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood gestures with one hand, and his voice booms out to the entire crowd. “Pedro, come on out and fight me, you and your little friends – or I’ll kill them all.”
5:55 PM * Havrasti wonders how an SMG will do against Lockwood; he’s probably prepared for fire breath
5:56 PM * Ellie doesn’t like this turn of events /at all/. She’s tempted to animate his boots to kick him in the hind-end next… :-p
5:56 PM <rkcgm> !10d6: Lockwood uses draconic elemental magic to create a wall of lightning all around the plaza. Versus very difficult.
5:56 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood uses draconic elemental magic to create a wall of lightning all around the plaza. Versus very difficult.”: (5+4+4+5+4+1+4+2+5+2). Total: 36.
5:56 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus
5:56 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (6+4+6+4+3+1). Total: 24.
5:56 PM <havrasti> ((XD ))
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood fails to do what he wanted to do, but does cause all of the electric transformers in the neighborhood to explode. And all electronics in the region just got nuked.
5:57 PM <havrasti> ((Can Sila try to save hers?))
5:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Regrettably, nobody’s going to get this fight on their camera-phones!))
5:58 PM <ellie> ((Oh, what a pity…))
5:58 PM <rkcgm> ((I’ll permit that with a successful speed roll versus difficult.))
5:58 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: speed for Sila
5:58 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “speed for Sila”: (1+1+4+3+1). Total: 10.
5:58 PM <sila> !5d6: Oh no you DON’T
5:58 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Oh no you DON’T”: (5+1+3+3+5). Total: 17.
5:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Lockwood’s roll is 5554444 etc… that won’t do it.))
5:59 PM <sila> ((was the speed roll?))
5:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh wait, I mis-read what’s going on.))
6:00 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry: clarification. I was going to have you roll speed to try to intervene, and then another roll to actually do so. And then I conflated them.))
6:01 PM <sila> ((OK, so I made the speed roll, now I need to roll at least one six, correct?))
6:01 PM <rkcgm> ((So you have the speed to intervene, but now you need to beat his 5554444221 roll.))
6:01 PM <sila> !6d6: You’re just a thief, I was hatched this way.
6:01 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “You’re just a thief, I was hatched this way.”: (3+3+4+3+4+6). Total: 23.
6:01 PM <rkcgm> Sila saves her phone.
6:02 PM * Sila adds a note to her phone: Next mission, include faraday bag in equipment list.
6:02 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI!
6:04 PM <havrasti> ((guns should still work, not being electronic))
6:04 PM <ellie> ((Brock will brb)
6:05 PM * Havrasti will take a moment to get a sense of the magical enchantments they have on them to direct our dispellers
6:05 PM <rkcgm> ((That’s correct, Havrasti.))
6:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, roll perception versus difficult.))
6:05 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
6:05 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (4+2+2+3+5). Total: 16.
6:05 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perc
6:05 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perc”: (2+5+2+5+4). Total: 18.
6:06 PM <havrasti> ((554* vs 543*))
6:06 PM <rkcgm> ((I’m making a note here: adequate…))
6:07 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, you are able to determine that all six of Lockwood’s party have at least one kind of magic shield active around them; it appears it will be effective against both magical attacks and projectile weapons, although it can probably still be beaten by both.
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood and two of the other mages (the skinny girl in the back, and one of the guys with all the electronics, have an additional layer of protection on them.
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood additionally is wearing some body armor. Which is probably magicked.
6:10 PM <rkcgm> ((You can make an additional INT roll versus difficult for one additional piece of info.))
6:10 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus INT for bonus info
6:10 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus INT for bonus info”: (3+2+1+2+4). Total: 12.
6:11 PM <havrasti> !3d6 : Int
6:11 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Int”: (6+3+6). Total: 15.
6:11 PM <havrasti> ((woot!))
6:11 PM <havrasti> !2d6
6:11 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “2d6”: (5+3). Total: 8.
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((Red, and success.))
6:13 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, you are able to determine that Lockwood is… not immune to, but definitely highly resistant to, fire and electrical attacks.
6:14 PM * Havrasti whispers this intel to the group
6:15 PM <sila> “Makes sense. Those are pretty common elements.”
6:15 PM <llewelyn> nods. “Good to know; I won’t try lightning against him, then…”
6:15 PM <havrasti> “Sila nad I sitll have to contend with it, though.”
6:17 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, do I still have time to shoot one of the lesser defended mage’s in the legs?))
6:17 PM <sila> “That’s what full mage training is good for…I’m not limited by my element here.”
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Havra: yes, that’ll work.))
6:18 PM * Havrasti takes the shot then, while waiting for the more defended targets to be debuffed
6:19 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : Dex
6:19 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Dex”: (2+5+3+3). Total: 13.
6:20 PM <rkcgm> ((Let’s see. Figuring out who’s buffed and who’s double-buffed… moment.))
6:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, the three targets with only one layer of protection are the rifle mage, the ugly guy who redid the tower, and the big guy on Lockwood’s right. Which one do you want to shoot?))
6:25 PM <havrasti> (rifle mage)
6:26 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay.))
6:26 PM <havrasti> ((wait))
6:26 PM <havrasti> ((he’s dextrous; how about ugly mage :P ))
6:27 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: Rifle mage’s dexterity to avoid the shot okay nvm, cancel that
6:27 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Rifle mage’s dexterity to avoid the shot okay nvm, cancel that”: (1+5+3+1+4+5+6+2). Total: 27.
6:27 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: Ugly’s dexterity to avoid the shot
6:27 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Ugly’s dexterity to avoid the shot”: (3+3+3). Total: 9.
6:27 PM <havrasti> ((huzzah!))
6:27 PM <rkcgm> ((You hit him.))
6:28 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: stamina versus intermediate
6:28 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “stamina versus intermediate”: (2+3+1+3+2). Total: 11.
6:28 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate DC
6:28 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate DC”: (4+4+1+3). Total: 12.
6:28 PM <havrasti> (( :D ))
6:29 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti actually wounds him pretty seriously.
6:29 PM <llewelyn>
6:30 PM <llewelyn> notes that Havrasti hit Ugly with a pretty nasty shot, and so Llewelyn decides to try to take “a gun out of the fight” and focus him down.
6:31 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: Llewelyn casts a sphere of magic that randomly displaces everything inside it
6:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn casts a sphere of magic that randomly displaces everything inside it”: (1+3+3+5+3+4+3+5). Total: 27.
6:32 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus difficult
6:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus difficult”: (1+3+5+4+1). Total: 14.
6:32 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: stamina versus intermediate
6:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “stamina versus intermediate”: (6+5+6+1+1). Total: 19.
6:32 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate
6:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate”: (6+2+3+5). Total: 16.
6:34 PM <llewelyn>’s attack briefly makes it look like Ugly’s head was two feet to the left, and his feet were six feet up above his hands, but when the effect ends, Ugly is still standing. Barely.
6:35 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
6:36 PM * Sila collects the hail from the unnatural storm and shotgunns it at the observation platform.
6:37 PM <rkcgm> ((AoE attack?))
6:37 PM <sila> ((yes. LOTS of hail. Muhahaha, etc.))
6:37 PM <sila> !6d6: hard, brittle shot at high velocity. Thanks for the ammo, loser.
6:37 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “hard, brittle shot at high velocity. Thanks for the ammo, loser.”: (3+1+5+2+1+3). Total: 15.
6:37 PM <sila> ((…))
6:38 PM <ellie> ((…Mmm, I’d offer a coin, but I have only blue…))
6:38 PM <ellie> ((and gold))
6:38 PM <rkcgm> ((Argh, now I’m going have to roll for all six of these guys. :( ))
6:38 PM <sila> ((I’ll wait for the DC, but I’ve got a red of my own…))
6:41 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: this is an average of the various dex scores for all six
6:41 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “this is an average of the various dex scores for all six”: (4+4+4+2). Total: 14.
6:41 PM <rkcgm> ((Success… or close enough.))
6:46 PM * Sila pelts the enemy with stinging ice shot. She’d go for the eyes, but it’s not that fine-tuned an attack
6:47 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood seems generally unfazed, but there are yelps of irritation from the rest of the group.
6:48 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
6:49 PM <sila> ((while I’m manipulating it anyway – does the storm seem unnatural in any way other than its apparent origin from Lockewood and/or one of his mages?))
6:50 PM <rkcgm> ((Not really; Lockwood basically made a temperature sheer overhead, similar to what Llewelyn uses for air conditioning but more extreme. The extent of the sheer caused precipitation due to the local humidity.))
6:52 PM <sila> ((so somebody was being dramatic. Next he’ll be monologueing :P ))
6:52 PM <ellie> ACTION really does feel like Lockewood needs to go down. She can only think of a couple things that might contribute to that. Her light attack would’ve been one, but after failing at it once, she’d like to try something different before going for that again… so instead she does aim for animation: namely, animating his shoes: one with an insatiable desire to dance, and the other with the even more insatiable desire to kick its wea
6:52 PM <ellie> !6d6: animation magic
6:52 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “animation magic”: (2+3+1+6+5+2). Total: 19.
6:53 PM <ellie> (( cont: to kick its wearer in the hind end like he so sorely needs. :-p))
6:54 PM <sila> ((hehe))
6:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, so. As I noted for Havrasti, Lockwood has two layers of magic shields before you can hit him. Just to put it out there, the first is versus 6554433221 and the second is versus 65433321…))
6:58 PM <sila> ((does beating one disrupt it, or do we have to go through both each time?))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Through both.))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((And then you get to face his stamina roll.))
6:59 PM <sila> ((…yay))
7:00 PM <ellie> ((Well. I’ll throw one of my own blues at it, since I think there’s a semi-decent chance it could succeed. If it doesn’t succeed, I’ll stop there and think of something else for next turn.))
7:00 PM <sila> ((well…they’re not much worse than Sila’s grounding wards though, for DC. Two 6s will get through both of them.))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay then.))
7:01 PM <ellie> !3d6: keeping 6,5,1, using blue
7:01 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping 6,5,1, using blue”: (1+3+4). Total: 8.
7:01 PM <ellie> ((…I should know better. Bleh. The end for this turn. :-p))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> BADDIES
7:02 PM <rkcgm> ((Right, starting down the list…))
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood, realizing that there are invisible enemies attacking him and his group, decides to try to do something about it.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> !10d6: Lockwood casts a counterspell designed to deplete invisibility effects
7:06 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood casts a counterspell designed to deplete invisibility effects”: (6+5+2+2+5+6+6+6+1+6). Total: 45.
7:06 PM <havrasti> ((that is far too many 6s :P ))
7:07 PM <rkcgm> ((The dicebot says, “Don’t bother rolling a difficulty, he wins.”))
7:07 PM <ellie> ((The dicebot says, “I’ve been telling you I hated you all along; maybe NOW you’ll believe me.”))
7:07 PM <ellie> ((…Yeah, yeah, dicebot. I believed you already. You didn’t have to prove it this strongly.))
7:08 PM <rkcgm> The mage with the blunderbuss notes Havrasti shooting at his associate; he half-turns and snapshots at Havrasti.
7:08 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: dex versus Havrasti’s dex to hit
7:08 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “dex versus Havrasti’s dex to hit”: (6+2+1+3+6+6+5+1). Total: 30.
7:08 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : eep
7:08 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “eep”: (6+6+3+4). Total: 19.
7:09 PM <rkcgm> ((Since the effect is magical there will be a roll versus the protective shield Sila cast on Havrasti.))
7:10 PM <rkcgm> ((Want to leave it, or use dice?))
7:10 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, I do have a red, if I could have another coin we could force a reroll))
7:10 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry, coins.))
7:10 PM <rkcgm> ((I’ll donate Llewelyn’s blue for that.))
7:10 PM <havrasti> ((ok))
7:10 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: rifle mage’s re-roll
7:10 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “rifle mage’s re-roll”: (4+6+6+5+6+1+1+5). Total: 34.
7:11 PM <havrasti> ((boo, dicebot, boooooo :P ))
7:11 PM <rkcgm> ((Dice say: no, bleep you.))
7:11 PM <ellie> ((Dice say: You should’ve listened to Ellie – she knew our evil agenda all along. :-p ))
7:12 PM <havrasti> (guess we’ll see how well Sila’s shield holds))
7:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, where’s the roll on that?))
7:13 PM <rkcgm> ((I thought I saved it, but…))
7:14 PM <sila> Havrasti’s Grounding Ward: 6,6,5,4,1,1
7:15 PM <rkcgm> A glowing green dragon-head of energy erupts from the blunderbuss and seeker-targets Havrasti, hitting him… wait, he’s shielded? HAXXORS!
7:15 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: try to beat the shield
7:15 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “try to beat the shield”: (1+4+2+5). Total: 12.
7:16 PM <sila> Green energy arcs into the ground around Havrasti, kicking up dust and bits of debris
7:16 PM <havrasti> ((yay))
7:16 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “Shields? CHEAP HACKS!”
7:17 PM <ellie> “If we’re cheap hacks, what does that make you?!”
7:17 PM <rkcgm> The third guy charges Havrasti with an ox-bellow of YAYYAAARRRGH.
7:17 PM * Havrasti prepares to take him
7:17 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “Leet pwnzers, noob!”
7:18 PM <havrasti> “Funny, I thought you looked older than 12.”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> The third guy tries to tackle Havrasti.
7:19 PM * Sila really hopes this guy got around to seeing her “all your base” message, all the same ;)
7:20 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: since Havrasti’s ready to fight him mano-a-draco, strength versus strength
7:20 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “since Havrasti’s ready to fight him mano-a-draco, strength versus strength”: (3+1+6+5+5+5). Total: 25.
7:20 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + Wrestling
7:20 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling”: (3+2+5+2+6+3+2). Total: 23.
7:20 PM <havrasti> (hmm, need some more 5s))
7:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Yeah.))
7:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Party blue?))
7:21 PM <havrasti> ((anyone spare a coin?))
7:21 PM <ellie> ((I have a blue))
7:21 PM <havrasti> ((blue would be good here, no 1s to deal with))
7:21 PM <havrasti> ((I’ll take Ellie’s, keeping the 65))
7:21 PM <havrasti> !5d6
7:21 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “5d6”: (1+3+5+3+5). Total: 17.
7:22 PM <havrasti> ((beat him on the 3))
7:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Looks like.))
7:22 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Charging Man: “Yaaaarg… aaargh!?!?”
7:23 PM * Havrasti dodges
7:23 PM <rkcgm> The earthbender is hors de combat.
7:24 PM <rkcgm> The guy next to Lockwood turns, notes this, and gestures towards him.
7:24 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: heal two points of health versus intermediate difficulty
7:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “heal two points of health versus intermediate difficulty”: (6+1+4+2+2+3). Total: 18.
7:24 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate
7:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate”: (5+4+5+2). Total: 16.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> Hm, soo… the skinny girl at the back of the enemy party is not the healer? Weird. Maybe that’s because she’s the shield-caster who goes and re-sets the shield on Earthmover Dude.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: set up a shield versus difficult
7:26 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “set up a shield versus difficult”: (1+2+5+3+6+6+4+6). Total: 33.
7:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Earthmover Dude now has a 66654321 shield again.))
7:29 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI!
7:29 PM <havrasti> ((will the shield block punches?))
7:30 PM <rkcgm> ((No.))
7:31 PM * Havrasti tries to conk out the brawler then
7:31 PM <havrasti> !7d6
7:31 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “7d6”: (1+1+3+1+2+5+6). Total: 19.
7:31 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: dex to dodge
7:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “dex to dodge”: (3+5). Total: 8.
7:31 PM <havrasti> *WHAM

7:32 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: Ox-Charging Guy’s stamina to reduce the impact of the blow
7:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Ox-Charging Guy’s stamina to reduce the impact of the blow”: (5+1+6+4+4+2+4+3). Total: 29.
7:32 PM <havrasti> ((vs my attack, or another roll?))
7:32 PM <rkcgm> ((Versus your attack.))
7:32 PM <havrasti> ((ok))
7:33 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Charging Guy has a bloody nose.
7:33 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, roll intelligence versus difficult
7:33 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus difficult
7:33 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus difficult”: (3+6+4+1+5). Total: 19.
7:36 PM <havrasti> !3d6 : Int
7:36 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Int”: (2+5+3). Total: 10.
7:36 PM <havrasti> ((nope))
7:36 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh, maybe perception might’ve been better.))
7:36 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception?
7:36 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception?”: (5+4+5+1+5). Total: 20.
7:36 PM <rkcgm> ((This should include any notice-magic stuff you have.))
7:37 PM <havrasti> !1d6 : extra d6?
7:37 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “extra d6?”: (4). Total: 4.
7:37 PM <rkcgm> ((Nope, sorry. Just have to find out the hard way.))
7:38 PM <havrasti> ((/me growls at the dicebot))
7:38 PM <llewelyn>
7:39 PM <llewelyn> notes the girl casting shields – and the guy healing injured enemies. He realizes that knocking out either one would be beneficial for the long term fight…
7:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Suggestions?))
7:40 PM <havrasti> ((shields first))
7:41 PM <sila> ((Isn’t the healer barely up anyhow? Get him before he heals himself!))
7:41 PM <rkcgm> ((The healer hasn’t been hit yet.))
7:41 PM <ellie> ((I’d also say shields. Until they’re gone, we’re not going to be doing any damage for the healer to heal.))
7:42 PM <sila> ((ah, in that case, shields))
7:42 PM <llewelyn> was taught not to hit girls, especially ones with glasses, but he doesn’t see any real way around it.
7:44 PM <llewelyn> points. “Dismiss.”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: sorcery versus difficult
7:44 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “sorcery versus difficult”: (1+3+6+3+5+2+5+4). Total: 29.
7:44 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficult
7:44 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficult”: (1+6+1+4+3). Total: 15.
7:45 PM <llewelyn> shorts out Shieldmaiden’s personal shields.
7:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Sila, Ellie – hit the girl at the back!”
7:45 PM <llewelyn>: “She’s unprotected.”
7:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay… we’re at the top of init and approaching 8 PM.))
7:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Do we want to stop here for the week?))
7:48 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, it is at the end of the round))
7:48 PM <sila> (( “Want,” not really. “Need,” probably so :P ))
7:48 PM <sila> ((Errands. Chores. Church tomorrow.))
7:48 PM <rkcgm> ((Yeah, and this is going to be a long fight, I think.))
7:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, I’ll summarize for next week…))
7:49 PM <sila> ((no surprise there, really))
7:49 PM <havrasti> ((ok, so make notes, all the notes))
7:49 PM <havrasti> may as well write up the summary now while it’s fresh))
7:50 PM <rkcgm> SUMMARY – Order is Sila, Ellie, Lockwood&Co, Havrasti, Llewelyn.
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellowing Guy has a bloody nose.
7:51 PM <rkcgm> Earthmoving Guy was out of the fight, but then freshly healed and is protected by a 66654321 shield.
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden had a shield, but is now unprotected.
7:52 PM <rkcgm> == END LOG ==

4:34 PM <rkcgm> == START LOG ==
4:34 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
4:35 PM <ellie> ((Want to give a reminder of how things stand? Maybe please? ;-) ))
4:35 PM <sila> (do we get the update on what Pedro and the Crowd are doing yet?)
4:35 PM <rkcgm> 4:30 PM <rkcgm> 7:50 PM <rkcgm> SUMMARY – Order is Sila, Ellie, Lockwood&Co, Havrasti, Llewelyn.
4:35 PM <rkcgm> 4:30 PM <rkcgm> 7:50 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellowing Guy has a bloody nose.
4:35 PM <rkcgm> 4:30 PM <rkcgm> 7:51 PM <rkcgm> Earthmoving Guy was out of the fight, but then freshly healed and is protected by a 66654321 shield.
4:35 PM <rkcgm> 4:30 PM <rkcgm> 7:52 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden had a shield, but is now unprotected.
4:35 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh, I will do that, sure.))
4:36 PM <ellie> ((Okay, got it now))
4:38 PM <rkcgm> While you engaged the Georgian Safari Club mages, Pedro jumped off the platform and started waving his arms, calling for the crowd to remain calm and safely move back away from the area. His voice seems to be amplified across the crowd.
4:39 PM <sila> ((And Llewelyn pointed out his shield-break, so… ))
4:39 PM <rkcgm> At the same time, all of the hail that fell earlier is rapidly melting and rising into the air as a cloud of vapor, causing most of the crowd to now be invisible under a blanket of fog.
4:40 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
4:40 PM <sila> !6d6: Using the helpfully provided lightning conditions to give Shieldmaiden a really Big shock.
4:40 PM <sila> ((right, no dicebot.))
4:40 PM <sila> 655542
4:41 PM <sila> ((after all, the ending tagline 2 weeks ago said something about “those people are throwing lightning at each other” and I’d hate to make the GM a liar ;) :P ))
4:42 PM * Sila tries to make it look… well, no less unnatural than the lightning that came with the hail storm, anyway.
4:42 PM <rkcgm> ((Let’s see, we’ll roll 5d6 for stamina…))
4:42 PM <sila> ((er, no more unnatural. or no less natural. ))
4:43 PM <rkcgm> 64332 vs roll
4:43 PM <rkcgm> The shieldmaiden is hit by lightning; she remains standing, but looks dazed.
4:44 PM <sila> “My what fine weather we’re having.”
4:44 PM <sila> ((done))
4:44 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE
4:51 PM <ellie> 6,6,5,2,2
4:51 PM <rkcgm> vs 553 luck roll
4:51 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit, roll for it))
4:52 PM <ellie> 4,4
4:52 PM <rkcgm> Red
4:52 PM <rkcgm> ((That was a luck roll, btw.))
4:53 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden is actually wearing something like a sleeveless SWAT uniform: a bulletproof vest, dark green pants, fingerless gloves, and a helmet with a chinstrap.
4:53 PM <rkcgm> ((Please note the final four words.))
4:54 PM <ellie> ((Noted))
4:55 PM * Ellie knows that Shieldmaiden needs to go down. Ellie hones in on the helmet’s chin-strap, and attempts to animate it to tighten into a stranglehold until – but only until – she passes out, to loosen upon her passing out, but to tighten again if she shows signs of waking – wash, rinse, repeat. She hates doing it, but…
4:55 PM <rkcgm> ((vs intermediate))
4:56 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie wins.))
4:56 PM <ellie> 6,4,4,3,3,1
4:56 PM <rkcgm> 3111
4:56 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden: “GAK!”
4:56 PM <ellie> ((…dice vs. dicebot – less dicehate? Or have I just ruined it? ;-) ))
4:57 PM <rkcgm> ((You have. My next roll is 666…))
4:57 PM <rkcgm> ENEMIES!
5:03 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood acts first turning towards the first person he sees – which is Sila.
5:11 PM <rkcgm> He raises his hand and gestures towards Sila’s hiding-place; Sila feels a prickly sensation and a bit of heat even through the table she’s hiding behind. 6554332211
5:11 PM <rkcgm> ((This is versus your shield, which I believe defeats the attack.))
5:12 PM * Sila grounds a lot of heat with 663321
5:13 PM <rkcgm> ((It’s actually not heat, but I shan’t explain what it actually is. Unless Havrasti wishes to make a very difficult perception check.))
5:13 PM <havrasti> ((sure))
5:13 PM <sila> Whatever it was, it grounded out to heat :P
5:14 PM <havrasti> Perception 65211
5:14 PM <rkcgm> ((Uh, don’t bother? :P Versus roll is 666521.))
5:15 PM <havrasti> ((well, if there was a roll to have the 666 on, that was it :P ))
5:15 PM * Sila shivers at the sensation of a whole lot of energy passing through one of her wards. She offers up a prayer of thanks that the ward held.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> The Rifle Mage twirls his ‘flintlock pistols’ on his finger, and then aims it again and fires at Havrasti.
5:17 PM * Havrasti thinks “Show off”
5:18 PM <rkcgm> 65442211 dex to avoid, otherwise magic shield grounding…
5:18 PM <havrasti> ouch, 4331
5:19 PM <rkcgm> ((What’s the roll on Havrasti’s grounding shield, again?))
5:19 PM <sila> Havrasti: 6,6,5,4,1,1
5:21 PM <rkcgm> As with the previous occasions, a glowing energy-dragon is fired from the barrel and flies through the air in ‘seeking’ mode, hitting Havrasti – but failing to beat out the grounding shield.
5:21 PM <havrasti> “…Thanks, Sila.”
5:22 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellowing Man charges at Havrasti with an ox-bellowing shout of Rrraaaaaargh! (Grapple attack, roll dex to evade or strength to engage…)
5:23 PM <rkcgm> 64221 <→<havrasti> Str+Wrestling 6443321
5:24 PM * Havrasti is happy to take on the strong guy
5:24 PM <rkcgm> ((Care to narrate a ‘I punch him in face’ or something?))
5:26 PM * Havrasti steps aside just in time and counter throws the ox down
5:27 PM <sila> ((LOL Havrasti is a cattle rancher, he totally knows how to deal with obstreperous male herdbeasts :P ))
5:27 PM <havrasti> (( he does ;) ))
5:27 PM <rkcgm> Curiously, the Ox-Charging Man doesn’t seem at all injured.
5:29 PM <rkcgm> The guy who terraformed the tower, who has been put back into the fight, ALSO tries his luck against Havrasti.
5:30 PM <rkcgm> ((…how does he only have three… oh well)) 622
5:31 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, the portion of parking lot you’re standing on randomly decides to flip over. Dexterity to jump off before it lands on you…
5:31 PM <havrasti> Str + Wrestling again: 6654431
5:31 PM <havrasti> ((oh, dex))
5:32 PM <havrasti> ((well, then that’d just be 6431 :P ))
5:32 PM <rkcgm> ((lol))
5:33 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti doesn’t manage it with gymnastic style, but he does just jump off the concrete block before it turns over on him…
5:35 PM * Havrasti is safe, that’s what counts
5:37 PM <rkcgm> The plain guy next to Lockwood turns back toward the Shieldmaiden. “Get your helmet off, Vas!”
5:37 PM <rkcgm> ((He heals her.))
5:37 PM <rkcgm> ((654321, interesting…))
5:38 PM <rkcgm> ((vs 6421, so success.))
5:39 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden is healed, but gasps for breath and spends her entire turn trying to unbuckle her chinstrap.
5:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Dex versus intermediate))
5:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Wow, my dice REALLY hate the Shieldmaiden.))
5:40 PM <rkcgm> ((She crit-fails 211 dex versus 6641 opposed check.))
5:40 PM <havrasti> ((haha))
5:41 PM <rkcgm> NOT ONLY is the Shieldmaiden still getting choked by her helmet chinstrap, her hand got caught in it and she can’t pull it away.
5:41 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI!
5:42 PM * Havrasti moves to engage the gunman at point blank range, *punch
punch*punch*, while position himself such that if the Ox tries to plow into him again, he can dodge so the Ox will hit the gunman
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage rolls dex to evade
5:44 PM <havrasti> boo :P 4333111 str + wrestling
5:44 PM <rkcgm> 66643211 he evades
5:45 PM <havrasti> ((yeaaaah >.> ))
5:45 PM * Havrasti still tries to position himself to encourage some enemy friendly fire
5:46 PM <rkcgm> ((For that, roll luck vs easy.))
5:46 PM <rkcgm> ((42))
5:46 PM <havrasti> Luck 444311
5:47 PM <rkcgm> ((success.))
5:49 PM <llewelyn>
5:50 PM <llewelyn>… hits a girl.
5:52 PM <llewelyn> casts a spell that looks like some sort of small blue glowing water-sphere that hits the Shieldmaiden, washes over her, and then appears to slow her movements down to a crawl.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> 66544211 vs 6311, success
5:54 PM <llewelyn> artificially slows Shieldmaiden’s ability to move. She has to roll willpower vs that roll in order to take any action on her next turn, and loses a dice of dex even if she succeeds.
5:54 PM <rkcgm> ((In other words, she almost certainly will either lose or auto-fail her attempt to loosen her helmet; if she’s going to stay in the fight, she needs help from another.))
5:54 PM <rkcgm> NEW ROUND
5:54 PM <rkcgm> SILA
5:55 PM * Sila was hoping for a new un-shielded target, but failing that…
5:55 PM <havrasti> ((well, she did go unconcious for a bit, right? Wouldn’t that have ended the shields?))
5:56 PM <rkcgm> ((not her, no))
5:56 PM <sila> !6d6: magic to steal the energy from a bunch of that mist, and turn it into a thick “bubble-helmet” of frosted ice around the healer’s head.
5:57 PM <sila> 555211
5:57 PM <rkcgm> ((rolling vs. difficult.))
5:58 PM <rkcgm> 66432
5:59 PM <sila> ((anyone have a smaller coin than silver they’d like to donate?))
5:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Party has two reds and a blue.))
5:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti has a red.))
5:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie has a red.))
5:59 PM <sila> ((red then? Granted, I’m up against 2 sixes, but…it’s also a fumble right now.))
6:00 PM <ellie> ((red from me works))
6:00 PM <sila> 642211 ((ugh. Well at least I don’t have two uncancelled 1s anymore))
6:01 PM <rkcgm> ((Going to leave it, then?))
6:01 PM <sila> ((I think so. Can I maybe suceed at gathering the energy, but fail at the ice-building part?))
6:02 PM <rkcgm> ((I’ll permit that.))
6:02 PM <sila> The healer feels vaguely cold, and experiences a local snow flurry. Scary? :P
6:03 PM <rkcgm> The healer frowns around him. “Was ist das?”
6:03 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
6:06 PM * Ellie observes that healer-guy is, like Shieldmaiden, wearing a helmet. She knows the shields aren’t down yet, but she can’t really think of anything else to do – she attempts to cast the same animation on his helmet.
6:07 PM <ellie> 6,6,5,3,2,1
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Versus the shield of 65433321 – Ellie’s magic attack is successful.
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Healer: “GAK!”
6:11 PM <rkcgm> ((He has three rounds before he passes out.))
6:11 PM <rkcgm> ENEMIES!
6:11 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood goes first.
6:12 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood turns toward Ellie. “I’ve had quite enough with you messing with my assistants, little girl.”
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((ALL THE DICE…))
6:13 PM <rkcgm> 6544443211
6:13 PM <ellie> ((I had not recorded Ellie’s sheild; did you, Sila?))
6:13 PM <sila> Ellie: 6,5,4,3,2,1
6:14 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, that would hit…))
6:15 PM <ellie> 4,3,3,1 <dex><rkcgm> ((Llewelyn contributes a gold coin.))
6:16 PM <ellie> ((Ellie is rescued by the power of Llewelyn’s LOVE! ;-) ))
6:16 PM <havrasti> ((yay))
6:16 PM <ellie> 6,6,6,6,2,2,2,1
6:16 PM <rkcgm> ((Ooh.))
6:16 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit, and coin return.))
6:17 PM <ellie> 5,2
6:17 PM <rkcgm> 44
6:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Red and red return.))
6:17 PM <sila> ((hehe the power of love is red coins? :P :D ))
6:18 PM <ellie> ((Red – the color of many, many little love-hearts. :-D))
6:19 PM <llewelyn> reaches out his hand and annuls Lockwood’s attack: “Pardon me, sir; but don’t hit MY lady.”
6:20 PM * Ellie grins. “Yeah, what you don’t know about me – I’m pesky and not that big a threat. But it’s dangerous to make the people who love me angry.”
6:22 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage’s turn.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> He spins his flintlocks around his finger again, and apparently thinks about shooting Havrasti – but he changes his mind to shoot at Llewelyn.
6:23 PM <sila> (Llewelyn: 6,5,4,3,1,1)
6:23 PM <rkcgm> ((His roll is 55432211.))
6:24 PM <llewelyn> doesn’t even bother trying to dodge the glowy green energy dragon; he just lets it smack into the grounding ward and dissipate.
6:25 PM <rkcgm> ((LIKE A BOSS. :P ))
6:25 PM <ellie> ((Hee! Well, after all, Ellie did just say how dangerous it was to make him angry. ;-) ))
6:26 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellowing Man charges… guess who?
6:26 PM * Havrasti steps aside
6:26 PM <havrasti> (dex + wrestling?)
6:26 PM <rkcgm> vs 654321 :P
6:27 PM <havrasti> 66432 dodge
6:28 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow Dude: “Can’t stop me, I’m the JUGGERNAUT, b- whoah!”
6:29 PM <havrasti> “I’d never dream of stopping you. Have fun.”
6:30 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow Man charges right past Havrasti and, uh.
6:30 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “WAAUGH!”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> ((Rifle Mage dodges! Or tries to… since he rolled 43222111!))
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “WAAUGH! Get off me, you big oaf!”
6:32 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti, please roll luck versus intermediate.))
6:32 PM <rkcgm> ((No coin permitted.))
6:33 PM <havrasti> Luck 643221
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Luck vs 4311
6:33 PM <rkcgm> One of the Rifle Mage’s flintlocks gets knocked out of his hand and lands at Llewelyn’s feet.
6:35 PM <rkcgm> The Terraformer attempts to flip the ground underneath Llewelyn’s feet – rolling 641.
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Dex roll of 544321, I’m going to suggest using my red coin
6:36 PM <havrasti> ((have my red))
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Reroll of 665532
6:36 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, okay. It just came back to you, then.))
6:36 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit and coin return.))
6:36 PM <havrasti> ((4+5=9))
6:37 PM <rkcgm> ((Green, and I get a blue.))
6:38 PM <havrasti> ((excellent))
6:40 PM <llewelyn> casually steps off to the side and off the moving pavement. “Please. You totally flag your attacks seconds ahead of time. I’ve taught children who can do better.”
6:40 PM <rkcgm> The Healer attempts to loosen his helmet strap. Dex versus intermediate
6:41 PM <rkcgm> ((532 vs 6441, healer fails.))
6:42 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden is still attempting to get her helmet off, but her odds are very low: willpower versus Llewelyn’s slow-roll.
6:43 PM <rkcgm> 55432 vs 66544211
6:43 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden falls to the ground in slow motion.
6:43 PM <rkcgm> ((The shields remain until the end of the turn.))
6:44 PM <sila> ((hey, we even protected her from concussion. See how nice we are? :P :D ))
6:44 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI
6:44 PM <ellie> ((Yeah, we’re totally using non-lethal measures, which is sooooo much better than what they’re offering. :-p ))
6:45 PM * Havrasti tries to knock the other gun out of the guy’s hand
6:46 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll dex. He’s at a penalty because Ox-Bellow knocked him flat.))
6:46 PM <rkcgm> Dex vs 665433
6:46 PM <havrasti> Dex + Wrestling 66611
6:46 PM <rkcgm> ((Dag, brother!))
6:47 PM <havrasti> ((not yours anymroe))
6:48 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “Platon, you dumb noob! Look what you just caused!”
6:49 PM <havrasti> “Are you ready to surrender, yet?”
6:52 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “Shut up!”
6:52 PM <llewelyn>
6:55 PM <llewelyn> picks up the Rifle Mage’s lost flintlock pistol. “Huh, so you spin it to reload the spell? Does it just have the one energy seeking…?”
6:55 PM <rkcgm> *Pew pew

6:57 PM <llewelyn> discharges all the magic in the gun on the prone Rifle Mage and Ox-Bellow Dude. (664411 vs 65411)
6:58 PM <rkcgm> What looks like a hundred tiny white glowy energy-dragons launch themselves at the two enemy mages.
6:58 PM <llewelyn> tosses the emptied pistol away. “What, that’s all it does? I was hoping for something a little better than that.”
6:59 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage: “HAXXOR! MY PISTOL! OW! OW! OW! MY SPLEEN, OUCH THAT TICKLES ME IN UNPLEASANT PLACES AAIE.”
7:00 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
7:00 PM <rkcgm> ((New round!))
7:02 PM * Sila takes her gathered energy and deposits it into the ground under the human Ox. (You’ve never seen hot pavement until now, buddy.)
7:02 PM <sila> 664332
7:02 PM <rkcgm> No effect.
7:02 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, please roll intelligence.
7:03 PM <rkcgm> No, sorry – perception
7:03 PM <rkcgm> Perception vs 53332
7:04 PM <havrasti> wow, again
7:04 PM <havrasti> 66654
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit.))
7:04 PM <havrasti> (huzzah, 66))
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Silver.))
7:07 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, when you watch Sila’s spell have absolutely no effect, you’re able to pin down what eluded you several times before. Ox-Bellow Man isn’t just a random running-into-things dude. He is, in fact, a magician; and what appears to be his one magic talent is that he becomes immune to harm for a short period after being injured with magic.
7:09 PM <rkcgm> ((GM will note, however, that this effect shall power down at the end of this turn, until reactivated by another hit.))
7:10 PM <havrasti> “Aha.” Telepathy “Don’t hit that guy with spells, he uses it to make himself invulnerable.”
7:10 PM * Ellie picks up the message and passes it along.
7:11 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
7:14 PM * Ellie sees healer-guy struggling with the helmet strap, and decides that this won’t do. She next attempts to animate his sleeves to pull his arms down and back and away. /You guys want to keep him safe, and he’s only safe when he’s unconscious. So get him unconscious – protect him!/
7:15 PM <ellie> 5,5,4,4,4,2
7:15 PM <rkcgm> vs 64321
7:15 PM <ellie> ((I’ll use my own red unless someone has something they’d like to donate.))
7:16 PM <rkcgm> ((Llewelyn gives one blue.))
7:17 PM <ellie> Keeping the 5: 6,6,5,3,1
7:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Coin return: 54 for green))
7:18 PM <ellie> The arms and helmet know what’s better for their master better than he does! The helmet continues trying to cut off his air to get him into safe unconsciousness, and the sleeves fight with his arms to keep his hands away from defeating their protective purpose.
7:20 PM <rkcgm> ENEMIES!
7:21 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood glances around and looks mildly put out.
7:23 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “It’s so hard to find good help these days. But then I suppose it always was, even in the old days.”
7:24 PM <ellie> “It’s also hard for help to be good without good leadership. Hmmm…”
7:24 PM <havrasti> “You could always stop, then you wouldn’t need the help.”
7:25 PM <sila> “Good help doesn’t help you murder people.”
7:31 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood shrugs. “Everything dies eventually. I just am satisfied to profit by it. But now, let’s change the tone of the conversation, shall we?”
7:33 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood exercises the nuclear option with an area-of-effect attack centered on Sila, and uses his one special trait to… ((Ah… I’m going to need more dice.))
7:33 PM <havrasti> ((blarg :P ))
7:33 PM <rkcgm> ((For one turn, Lockwood upgrades to d8 dice rather than d6 dice.))
7:34 PM <havrasti> ((O.o ))
7:34 PM <ellie> ((I said before he acted that I thought we’d probably want to use the special coin. …I think my prediction is confirmed. :-p
7:35 PM <sila> ((yeah, sounds like it))
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood rolls 8775322111
7:36 PM <rkcgm> ((Everyone roll dex versus very difficult to evade.))
7:37 PM <sila> 6,5,4,3,1
7:37 PM <havrasti> 6431
7:37 PM <rkcgm> vs roll of 654421
7:37 PM <sila> ((come on, vs. 877? :P ))
7:37 PM <sila> ((oh, I see, that’s not the dex DC))
7:38 PM <ellie> 5,4,2,1
7:38 PM <rkcgm> ((That’s correct. I mean, I may be a GM, but I’m not THAT mean. :P ))
7:38 PM <havrasti> ((heh))
7:38 PM <llewelyn>’s dex 663331
7:39 PM <sila> ((that said, Llewelyn is currently the only one evading…))
7:39 PM <rkcgm> ((So anyone who doesn’t beat the 654421 doesn’t escape the AoE.))
7:40 PM <havrasti> ((I’ll use my green))
7:40 PM <rkcgm> ((I Highly Suggest using all coins you can, because otherwise you get hit by that.))
7:40 PM <havrasti> (keeping the 6)
7:40 PM <havrasti> ((6541))
7:41 PM <ellie> ((I can donate a red to someone, unless I use my own.))
7:41 PM <sila> ((I have a six, five; would a party blue be better for me do you think?))
7:42 PM <havrasti> ((probably; I’m still failing))
7:42 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti, I’ll give you Llewelyn’s gold.))
7:42 PM <havrasti> ((ok then))
7:43 PM <havrasti> 6544… they’re mocking me :P
7:44 PM <havrasti> ((though, would any skills apply?))
7:45 PM <rkcgm> ((with a gold?))
7:45 PM <havrasti> ((for the roll in general))
7:45 PM <sila> ((bah. re-rolled with blue, still failing.))
7:46 PM <rkcgm> ((You know, we could just force GM re-roll for the dex check.))
7:46 PM <sila> ((that might be a good idea))
7:46 PM <ellie> ((Yeah, I’ll donate red for that))
7:46 PM <havrasti> ((could try that))
7:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, and I’ll use Llewelyn’s red as well.))
7:47 PM <rkcgm> 65221
7:48 PM <havrasti> (better))
7:48 PM <rkcgm> ((So it looks like just Ellie is failing, now.))
7:48 PM <ellie> ((Are there any non-gold coins out there? Otherwise it’s down to Ellie’s gold))
7:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Red from the party.))
7:49 PM <sila> ((I have silver))
7:49 PM <rkcgm> ((She said she wants to use the red first.))
7:49 PM <ellie> 6,5,5,2
7:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Passes.))
7:50 PM <havrasti> ((yay))
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood nukes a giant section of the battlefield, but somehow fails to hit any of you.
7:51 PM <rkcgm> The term ‘nukes’ is, incidentally, not used without cause. Havrasti, please roll perception versus easy.
7:51 PM <rkcgm> vs 64
7:52 PM <havrasti> 64433
7:53 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, do you remember what Sam’s draconic elemental affiliation is, and what he can do with it? And what he DID do with it before he was old enough to control it?
7:55 PM <havrasti> ((…ah))
7:55 PM <ellie> ((So… what about all the people int he square?))
7:55 PM <havrasti> telepathy “That was very much like Sam’s power…”
7:55 PM <sila> ((I think I should be able to recognize that too, actually…))
7:55 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, I’ll give you that, Sila.))
7:56 PM <sila> “ARE YOU INSANE?!? Wait, I forgot who I was asking. IDIOT! NO RADIATION IN PUBLIC PLACES!”
7:57 PM <rkcgm> ((As for Ellie’s question: they’ve gotten minor radiation from the earlier attacks – like being out in the sun for way too long – but they haven’t been hit with anything lethal.))
8:00 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood doesn’t reply to Sila.
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage pulls out a little pocket over-under derringer pistol from his jacket and fires at the shouty-lady.
8:01 PM <rkcgm> ((I.E. Sila))
8:02 PM <rkcgm> ((Rolls 55544111))
8:02 PM <sila> ((if that’s vs. the grounding ward, too bad for him :P ))
8:03 PM <rkcgm> ((It is, unless you choose to dodge.))
8:03 PM <sila> ((I’ll try dodging first))
8:03 PM <sila> Dex to dodge: 6,6,4,3,2
8:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit.))
8:04 PM <sila> crit coin: 6,4
8:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Green.)
8:07 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow gets up off the hot pavement and charges (rolls) Ellie.
8:08 PM <rkcgm> Strength vs 655541 to fight him, or dex to evade
8:09 PM <ellie> 6,5,5,1
8:09 PM <ellie> dex to evade
8:10 PM <rkcgm> ((I rolled his dex and got 21.))
8:12 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow Man fails his 633 luck roll versus 651. He misses Ellie and charges straight into the area Lockwood JUST irradiated.
8:12 PM * Ellie looks at Ox-Bellow Man with an, “Are you utterly insane?!” look on her face as she dodges.
8:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Fortunately, he’s invincible… until the end of this turn. But now he’s also radioactive.))
8:14 PM <rkcgm> The Healer attempts to loosen the strap on his helmet.
8:15 PM <rkcgm> ((He rolls 665 versus 6211 to even get his hands up into position. Success.))
8:16 PM <rkcgm> ((But he 432 fails to get his helmet strap 5431 undone, meaning that at the end of next turn, unless something changes, he will pass out.))
8:16 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI
8:18 PM <havrasti> ((is Lockwood in the midst of the radiation?))
8:18 PM <havrasti> ((also, is his shield finally down?))
8:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Lockwood is not. And he still has one shield on him.))
8:20 PM * Havrasti rushes to grapple Lockwood then
8:21 PM <havrasti> Wrestling + Str 6655531 going for a hard takedown
8:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay then!))
8:22 PM <rkcgm> ((…fascinating.))
8:22 PM <rkcgm> ((It seems you turned him into a dolphin. I mean… success, you grapple him.))
8:23 PM <havrasti> (( XD ))
8:23 PM <sila> ((hehehe!))
8:23 PM <rkcgm> ((vs 4421, as it happens.))
8:24 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti tackles Lockwood. Well, this shall be interesting.
8:24 PM <llewelyn>!
8:24 PM <havrasti> ((any concussions into the pavement of the guy would be appreciated :P ;) ))
8:28 PM <llewelyn> points his staff towards Rifle Mage. “Would you like your departure from this battle to be dignified, or undignified? …too slow, it’s going to be undignified. Speed enforced by aircraft…”
8:29 PM <rkcgm> 66431111 versus difficult… 66441 boo, I use my green.
8:29 PM <rkcgm> ((rerolling everything but the 6s.))
8:30 PM <rkcgm> ((Final roll now 66655441, it’s a crit, coin back, success.))
8:30 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue.))
8:33 PM <llewelyn> animates one of the equestrian statues near the Marti monument, which rides over and grabs the Rifle Mage by the seat of his pants – and then starts riding off at high speed, with him still dangling in midair.
8:34 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage’s shouts fade into the distance: “O.o ZOMG HAXXORS!1…”
8:35 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay. It’s 8:30, I think we ought to wrap up and continue next weekend.))
8:35 PM <havrasti> ((yeah))
8:37 PM <sila> ((Fair Enough))
8:38 PM <rkcgm> So, wrap up for next week:
8:38 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden is down for the count, as are her shields.
8:39 PM <rkcgm> Healer is being choked by his helmet strap and has one more round to attempt to free himself.
8:40 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage is disarmed and being carried out of the Plaza in a seat-of-the-pants wedgie carry by an animated equestrian statue.
8:40 PM <rkcgm> Terraformer is still not recovered from his attacks from earlier, but is still standing.
8:41 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow Dude is now radioactive – and no longer immune to attacks.
8:41 PM <rkcgm> And Lockwood is tackled my Havrasti, but is definitely still full of fight.
8:41 PM <rkcgm> …and, somehow, none of you have yet been injured. Wow.
8:42 PM <llewelyn>: Gold, Blue
8:42 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: Gold
8:42 PM <rkcgm> Sila: Gold, Silver, Green
8:42 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti: Silver, Green
8:42 PM <rkcgm> Party: Blue, Red, Special
8:43 PM <havrasti> we’ve lost plenty of the secondary HP, aka coins :P
8:43 PM <sila> yep
8:43 PM <havrasti> I used my green
8:43 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay.))
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden is down for the count, as are her shields.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Healer is being choked by his helmet strap and has one more round to attempt to free himself.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Rifle Mage is disarmed and being carried out of the Plaza in a seat-of-the-pants wedgie carry by an animated equestrian statue.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Terraformer is still not recovered from his attacks from earlier, but is still standing.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Ox-Bellow Dude is now radioactive – and no longer immune to attacks.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> And Lockwood is tackled my Havrasti, but is definitely still full of fight.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> …and, somehow, none of you have yet been injured. Wow.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> Order of action is Sila, Ellie, Lockwood&Co, Havrasti, Llewelyn.
4:15 PM <rkcgm> So…. SILA!
4:17 PM * Sila has a whole new “appreciation” for the depths of Lockwood’s evil insanity.
4:18 PM * Sila calls the lightning on the terraformer again. Because lightning wants to go to ground, hah.
4:18 PM <sila> !6d6: just because Lockwood is immune doesn’t mean his allies are.
4:18 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “just because Lockwood is immune doesn’t mean his allies are.”: (5+5+3+6+5+4). Total: 28.
4:19 PM <rkcgm> ((That is a sweetfully oppressive pun. You make the GM laugh.))
4:19 PM <sila> (( :D ))
4:19 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: attempted evasion of lightning
4:19 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “attempted evasion of lightning”: (4+2+3). Total: 9.
4:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Neeope.))
4:20 PM <rkcgm> Terraformer doesn’t look like he enjoyed that. He remains standing… still… but he seems to be on his last legs.
4:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Done?))
4:21 PM <sila> (done)
4:22 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
4:24 PM <ellie> ((Moment. Am considering action.))
4:26 PM * Ellie wants to see Terraformer taken out once and for all. Aaaand (courtesy of Brock :-p ;-) ) she decides to take a page out of his own book to try and achieve it. She animates the pavement underneath his feet to lift itself vertically (to knock him down), smack him in the face just hard enough to knock him out, and then fold itself over him to hold him in place.
4:27 PM <ellie> !6d6: Attempting to beat the Terraformer at his own game…
4:27 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Attempting to beat the Terraformer at his own game…”: (1+5+6+3+1+5). Total: 21.
4:27 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: magic versus difficult
4:27 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “magic versus difficult”: (1+1+3+6+2). Total: 13.
4:28 PM <rkcgm> Terraformer is now unconscious and trapped in the grip of the plaza. You might say that with his fall, the way has been ‘paved’ for victory?
4:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Waits…))
4:29 PM <havrasti> ((awaiting the bapping of the GM to finish))
4:29 PM <sila> ((and you said my pun was opressive :P ))
4:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Either she’s not paying attention or she’s enduring in stoic silence.))
4:29 PM <ellie> ((Obligatory bapping done))
4:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Ah, that’s better.))
4:30 PM <ellie> ((:-p ))
4:30 PM <ellie> ((However, I will forgive you this much: You could’ve said I was enduring in stony silence…))
4:30 PM <havrasti> ((hehehe))
4:30 PM <rkcgm> ((Doh!))
4:31 PM <rkcgm> ENEMIES!
4:31 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood has been tackled by Havrasti.
4:31 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood’s first order of business is to deal with this pest!
4:32 PM * Havrasti will try not to be easy to deal with
4:33 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood grins at Havrasti. “You’re strong; I guess you’re the other dragon I’ve been sensing all this time, eh? Can you fly?”
4:34 PM <havrasti> “What’s it to you?”
4:34 PM <havrasti> *struggle*struggle*struggle*
4:34 PM <rkcgm> !10d6: Lockwood does some magic vs very difficult
4:34 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood does some magic vs very difficult”: (2+2+4+1+3+4+4+3+3+6). Total: 32.
4:34 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus roll
4:35 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (4+3+1+2+4+3). Total: 17.
4:35 PM <havrasti> ((tsk, the one time the difficulty doesn’t roll a 6 or 5 :P ))
4:36 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood locally reverses the effects of gravity. Lockwood and Havrasti fall into the sky.
4:37 PM <havrasti> “Meh.”
4:37 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “Of course this is potentially risky for me, engaging a creature of the sky while IN the sky – but you don’t have your wings out, do you? Tsk.”
4:39 PM <havrasti> telepathy “Hey, you guys ready for some telekinesis if needed?”
4:39 PM <rkcgm> Radioactive Ox-Bellow Dude watches as the target he’d prefer to punch goes flying five hundred feet up.
4:39 PM * Ellie passes along Havrasti’s request to Sila and Llewelyn, since they’re the ones who could possibly do something about it.
4:39 PM * Sila is ready, oh yes.
4:39 PM <rkcgm> Radioactive Ox-Bellow Dude: “Aw man. Lockwood gets to have all the fun.”
4:40 PM <rkcgm> Radioactive Ox-Bellow Dude looks at Sila: “Come here, girly. Wait, that’s not the right line. HERE I COME, GYAAAARGH!!!”
4:40 PM <rkcgm> Radioactive Ox-Bellow Dude charges Sila.
4:41 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: chaaaarge
4:41 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “chaaaarge”: (1+3+5+3+6+5+4+1). Total: 28.
4:41 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll strength to wrestle him or dex to evade.))
4:42 PM <sila> ((I’m still using the table for cover, can I perform table-judo and flip it over as he hits/tries to jump it so he gets flipped behind me?))
4:42 PM <sila> ((and would you consider that a str or dex attempt?))
4:42 PM <rkcgm> ((I’d consider that a… hm. Let’s go with dex.))
4:43 PM <sila> !4d6: not my best skill, but when the guy is charging you…
4:43 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “not my best skill, but when the guy is charging you…”: (1+2+4+4). Total: 11.
4:43 PM <rkcgm> ((It’ll be an intermediate vs roll, but that’s better than his 8d6 roll.))
4:44 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: table flip trip trap
4:44 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “table flip trip trap”: (1+5+1+1). Total: 8.
4:44 PM <sila> ((…party red for me?))
4:44 PM <ellie> Yes
4:44 PM <rkcgm> ((Fine by me.))
4:44 PM <sila> !4d6
4:44 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “4d6”: (5+4+4+5). Total: 18.
4:44 PM <sila> ((yes, now his crit fumble IS a fumble!))
4:46 PM <sila> ((well…if that difficulty counts as his attempt to evade the trap. Anyway, I can has table-judo :D ))
4:47 PM <rkcgm> Radioactive Ox-Bellow Dude: “HERE I COME, GYAAAARGH/wwaaahowmynode!”
4:48 PM <rkcgm> The Ox takes minor injury from his broken nose.
4:49 PM <rkcgm> Healer continues frantically attempting to free himself from the constricting grasp of his magicked garments.
4:49 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus… uh, what did we have as the versus roll?
4:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus… uh, what did we have as the versus roll?”: (2+6+2). Total: 10.
4:50 PM <sila> “Do you even CARE that Lockwood just gave you /radiation poisoning/ you…fool?!?”
4:51 PM <rkcgm> ((I think it was versus Ellie’s roll, and that it was high enough to beat that. I’m going to have him pass out.))
4:51 PM <rkcgm> The Ox: “Nod really, I’ll ged over id.”
4:52 PM <ellie> ((No arguments with that here. ;-) ))
4:52 PM <rkcgm> Healer is now hors de combat.
4:53 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI!
4:53 PM <rkcgm> …you are now falling upward through the air.
4:53 PM <sila> “In my experience, it doesn’t work that way. But if you know otherwise, please, tell me. I’d love to know how to cure radiation poisoning.”
4:56 PM * Havrasti attempts to punch Lockwood out
4:56 PM <havrasti> !7d6
4:56 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “7d6”: (5+2+2+6+6+2+6). Total: 29.
4:57 PM <havrasti> “I can recover from this, what about you?”
4:57 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: Lockwood tries to dodge that one.
4:57 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood tries to dodge that one.”: (1+4+2+2+4). Total: 13.
4:57 PM <havrasti> !2d6
4:57 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “2d6”: (1+5). Total: 6.
4:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Red.))
4:57 PM <havrasti> ((yay for overwhelming crits :) ))
4:58 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti punches Lockwood so hard that his magic shield goes down.
4:58 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “Very impressive. Have you considered the boxing circuit?”
4:59 PM <havrasti> “Only when bad guys like you are involved.”
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “True, the WWE is rather a farce.”
5:01 PM <llewelyn>!
5:02 PM <llewelyn> watches Havrasti and Lockwood flying off, and decides they’re too close together for magic to hit only Lockwood.
5:02 PM <llewelyn>: “Hm, but maybe that’s not bad…”
5:03 PM * Havrasti wouldn’t mind being hit by fire, really
5:03 PM <llewelyn> tries a dispel.
5:04 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: magic versus very difficult (since they’re falling into the sky)
5:04 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “magic versus very difficult (since they’re falling into the sky)”: (1+4+1+1+1+1+4+3). Total: 16.
5:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Boooo.))
5:04 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus roll
5:04 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (5+1+5+4+5+6). Total: 26.
5:04 PM <havrasti> ((wow))
5:04 PM <havrasti> ((have a red :P ))
5:04 PM <sila> ((green?))
5:04 PM <sila> ((red works too))
5:04 PM <rkcgm> ((I’ll take the red.))
5:05 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: try that one again
5:05 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “try that one again”: (4+6+6+2+6+4+1+4). Total: 33.
5:05 PM <havrasti> (( XD ))
5:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Min, max.))
5:05 PM <havrasti> !2d6 : coin back
5:05 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “coin back”: (6+5). Total: 11.
5:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Green.))
5:05 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: coin for Llewelyn as well
5:05 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “coin for Llewelyn as well”: (5+4). Total: 9.
5:05 PM <rkcgm> ((…also green.))
5:06 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, please roll luck versus…
5:06 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: versus luck
5:06 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus luck”: (5+4). Total: 9.
5:07 PM <havrasti> !6d6 : Luck
5:07 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Luck”: (1+4+1+3+2+2). Total: 13.
5:07 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, should I bother rerolling
5:08 PM <havrasti> ?))
5:08 PM <rkcgm> ((I mainly use luck as an event roll, so…))
5:09 PM <havrasti> ((ok))
5:09 PM <rkcgm> ((What’s the difficulty of Sila’s grounding magic on Havrasti again?))
5:09 PM <sila> Havrasti: 6,6,5,4,1,1
5:09 PM <rkcgm> ((Ooh, um. Yeah.))
5:11 PM <llewelyn> dispels the magic. All the magic. Including the shapeshifting ones that keeps Havrasti looking human, and the one keeping Lockwood looking human, and the one that Lockwood used to reverse gravity.
5:11 PM <havrasti> “Oh! Wings!”
5:11 PM * Havrasti flares them
5:11 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “Oh. Bugger.”
5:11 PM <havrasti> ((so what does Lockwood look like now?))
5:11 PM <sila> “What the…Douglass is going to flip.”
5:12 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood now looks just like himself, only nine feet tall.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: Lockwood’s luck versus very difficult
5:13 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood’s luck versus very difficult”: (1+6+1+2+2). Total: 12.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus roll
5:13 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (1+6+1+4+1+5). Total: 18.
5:13 PM <havrasti> ((denied))
5:13 PM <rkcgm> ((AAAHAHAHAHAHA.))
5:14 PM * Havrasti is glad he was wearing his tear-away clothing
5:14 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood is sufficiently surprised that he… lets go of Havrasti. Which is the only way he would have remained in the air at this point.
5:16 PM <ellie> ((This has not gone well for Lockwood. :-p ;-) ))
5:16 PM <havrasti> ((not at all; a creature that large falling that distance? not going to be pretty :P ))
5:17 PM <ellie> ((He has enough magic that he might be able to save himself. But he’s not going to be happy. :-p))
5:18 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
5:19 PM <sila> ((is he on the ground, or still falling?))
5:20 PM <rkcgm> ((Lockwood? Falling.))
5:21 PM <rkcgm> ((He’ll fall until the end of his action, unless he does something about it.))
5:21 PM * Sila uses her pseudo telekinesis to pick up the table and super-drop it on ox-wannabe a couple times.
5:22 PM <sila> !6d6: and stay down
5:22 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “and stay down”: (3+3+5+5+4+2). Total: 22.
5:22 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (3+6+5+4+5). Total: 23.
5:22 PM <sila> ((Hmm. I could use my green, but a b lue would work just as well…))
5:23 PM <rkcgm> ((Llewelyn has a blue.))
5:23 PM <sila> !4d6: keeping 5,5
5:23 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “keeping 5,5”: (4+6+4+3). Total: 17.
5:23 PM <sila> (thanks for the distracting action Llewelyn :P :) ))
5:25 PM <rkcgm> The Ox sighs as he’s hit several times by the table. “This day is just getting better and better, isn’t it.”
5:25 PM * Sila looks up to the sky, telekineses ready. Since Havrasti has his wings open, though, she casually directs that readiness towards a little pain for the fool behind her.
5:25 PM <sila> “If you’re being sarcastic, I think I actually agree. Strange.”
5:26 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
5:26 PM * Sila follows up with the last table-bounce
5:27 PM <havrasti> ((so how is the crowd reacting?))
5:27 PM <rkcgm> ((The crowd is having some difficulty seeing you, since Pedro still has the fog machine magic going.))
5:30 PM <sila> ((and in world news, cubans are reporting that a dragon came to support the cause of the people in last night’s coup. Only a single, non-digital, photograph survived the emp event at the rally. Experts are still trying to figure out what the clouded form in the photograph actually is, but suspect a small plane or some sort of balloon.))
5:30 PM * Ellie looks to ox-bellowing guy, "So… if you’re ready for the day to stop getting “better,” you could surrender. We aren’t so ruthless that we’d grant no quarter."
5:30 PM <ellie> ((There might have been a slight emphasis on “we,” as well… ;-) ))
5:31 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: intelligence versus standard
5:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intelligence versus standard”: (4+1+6). Total: 11.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus roll
5:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+1+5). Total: 8.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> The Ox: “Okay. My momma always told me to quit while I was ahead.”
5:32 PM <ellie> “Then you’re under arrest. Make no trouble, and you won’t get further hurt.”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> The Ox: “Eh, okay.”
5:32 PM * Ellie adds to Llewelyn and Sila, "We probably ought to secure the unconscious folks, too.
5:34 PM <ellie> ((done))
5:34 PM <rkcgm> ENEMIES… er, ENEMY!
5:35 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood (falling): “Keep calm and carry a…”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> !10d6: Lockwood does magic versus very difficult
5:35 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Lockwood does magic versus very difficult”: (5+1+5+6+4+1+1+5+2+6). Total: 36.
5:35 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus roll
5:35 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+2+3+3+5+2). Total: 17.
5:36 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood: “…grudge.”
5:36 PM * Havrasti tries to watch what Lockword is casting
5:40 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood manages to swing himself around to a three-point landing on the plaza.
5:40 PM <rkcgm> At the moment of impact, he focuses all of his magic into the ground in order to make a final statement.
5:41 PM <havrasti> ((Lockwood falls, everyone dies? :P ))
5:41 PM <rkcgm> ((That’s his idea.))
5:42 PM <rkcgm> The spell he uses is a powered-up version of the same radiation spell he used earlier. Except instead of irradiating stuff, he just wants to kill everything in a one-mile radius.
5:42 PM <rkcgm> Doing this… kills him.
5:43 PM <rkcgm> ((Everyone in the vicinity gets one reaction following order.))
5:44 PM * Sila tries to contain the radiation with her magic
5:44 PM <rkcgm> ((So… SILA.))
5:44 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay. You’re up against Lockwood’s roll above.))
5:45 PM <sila> !6d6: Oh NO you don’t. Seriously. Thank you Sam for all the practice. ((so… 66555 etc?))
5:45 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Oh NO you don’t. Seriously. Thank you Sam for all the practice. ((so… 66555 etc?))”: (6+6+5+6+4+3). Total: 30.
5:45 PM <sila> YES!
5:45 PM <rkcgm> ((Impressive.))
5:45 PM <sila> ((also YES! HAHAHA!))
5:46 PM <sila> !6d2: I do believe that was a crit!
5:46 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “I do believe that was a crit!”: (2+2+2+2+1+1). Total: 10.
5:46 PM <sila> !2dc: I do believe that was a crit!
5:46 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “I do believe that was a crit!”: (1+1). Total: 2.
5:46 PM <rkcgm> ((Purple. :P ))
5:46 PM <rkcgm> ((Gold coin, actually.))
5:46 PM <sila> !2d6: I’m so happy I keep typoing the roll :P :P
5:46 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “I’m so happy I keep typoing the roll :P :P”: (6+6). Total: 12.
5:46 PM <havrasti> ((excellent XD ))
5:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh wait. Ha. Silver… to the party.))
5:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, I guess we don’t need anyone else to act. Initiative ended.))
5:48 PM <rkcgm> ((But. Pause.))
5:48 PM <havrasti> ((heh, ok))
5:51 PM <rkcgm> As Sila contains Lockwood’s parting ‘nuclear option’, something weird happens; it feels like you are all affected by a portal of some type; and the battlefield momentarily disappears around you.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> You really can’t see anything so much as sense something, hovering nearby, almost watchfully.
5:52 PM <havrasti> (( O.o ))
5:53 PM * Sila really wants to be able to listen to this maybe-portal magic…containing the magical nuke takes priority though.
5:53 PM <ellie> Can Ellie hear anything telepathically?
5:53 PM <rkcgm> A thin and ethereal voice starts whispering in very old draconic: “I see that… well done.”
5:54 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie: no.))
5:54 PM * Ellie kiiinda feels a little creeped out. But. :-p
5:55 PM * Sila finishes what she’s doing…
5:55 PM <sila> Draconic: “Thank you…?”
5:55 PM <havrasti> “Who?”
5:56 PM <rkcgm> The voice kinda hisses, as if in pain. “How many years did it take, hatchling?”
5:57 PM <sila> “Er…well it’s the year of our Lord 2014…”
5:57 PM <sila> ((am I remembering the game-year right?))
5:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes.))
5:58 PM <ellie> “And… uh… where are we? Or where are you?”
5:58 PM <rkcgm> Voice: “Ah… long, then. Very long…”
5:59 PM <sila> “God knew what he was doing, I think…if my brother and I had hatched any earlier in history, I wouldn’t have known how to do that last thing.”
6:00 PM <rkcgm> Voice hisses in very pained laughter. “So then He knew what he was doing after all. What’s your name, hatchling?”
6:00 PM <sila> “Sila. Sila Havrasti-Wife.”
6:01 PM <sila> “…Daughter of Leto the Portal-maker, whom that guy never did explain how he’d hear of.”
6:02 PM <havrasti> “And I the aforementioned Havrasti.”
6:02 PM * Ellie sighs. Of course, without being able to sense anything telepathically, her own telepathic translation would probably be lost. Or no one but a dragon is worth this voice’s time. She can’t decide which… but oh well.
6:02 PM <ellie> She does keep it to a quiet sigh. ;-)
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Voice: “Hss. He wouldn’t have explained. I can imagine… he’d be quite cross whatever year I threw him into. Especially if it… was seventeen hundred years, hm.”
6:04 PM <sila> “…”
6:04 PM * Sila really wants to ask the obvious question but can’t quite choke it out
6:04 PM <havrasti> “So who are you?”
6:06 PM <rkcgm> Voice gives a whispered chuckle. “Leto the Portal-Maker.”
6:06 PM * Ellie understands the pertinence of the question. She rather thinks her “where are you” question was also pertinent, especially considering the pain the voice carries. But…
6:07 PM <sila> (choked whisper) “You’re alive?”
6:07 PM * Ellie would be more surprised at this if she hadn’t been suspecting it already.
6:07 PM <havrasti> “Gck, what?!?”
6:08 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “…for the moment.”
6:08 PM <ellie> “So he didn’t seem to hear me, but where is he? And is there any way to get to him?”
6:08 PM <ellie> The healer is kinda curious. :-p
6:09 PM <sila> “We thought you were dead… /mother/ thinks you’re dead!!”
6:09 PM <sila> "And what does “for the moment” mean anyway?!?"
6:09 PM <havrasti> “What did you mean ‘threw him through time’? Are we talking to you across time?”
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “I’m not sure you can do anything to change that, hatchling. I am at the other end of a very, very old connection…”
6:10 PM <sila> “I know a friendly Ilfirin…”
6:10 PM <ellie> “And also portal magic, if time is of the essence…”
6:10 PM <sila> “And a natural healer. Oh, and I’m good at portals, /not that a little experienced training wouldn’t still help/ and all…”
6:11 PM * Sila starts listening at the portal in earnest. Is this a decaying portal she could shore up?
6:12 PM <ellie> ((And, since Skype wants to update and wants to SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING to do so – explaining why I’m not there – We also still have the special coin… :-p ;-) ))
6:12 PM <sila> ((hah, so we do.))
6:14 PM <rkcgm> ((Sila: intelligence check versus very difficult.))
6:14 PM <sila> !6d6
6:14 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (1+6+6+2+3+1). Total: 19.
6:14 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus roll
6:14 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (3+5+1+6+2+2). Total: 19.
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Sila: yes, the portal is running through time; approximately 1700 years. It is extremely shaky because the caster is dying; it was apparently connected somehow to Lockwood, and became loosely disassociated upon his death.
6:20 PM <rkcgm> ((The steps you’ll need to take are, 1 – shoring it up; 2 – getting Leto through it and 3 – getting yourself out of the disassociated space. All of these will be versus 7d6 rolls.))
6:20 PM <sila> “…Ellie, I’m going to shore up the portal we’ve got here. If it opens to a proper path, GO and do what you can on the other end, he needs it.”
6:21 PM <ellie> “Ready.”
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “…no, no, you can’t come back. Only forward.”
6:21 PM <sila> !6d6: I’m learning to time travel!
6:21 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “I’m learning to time travel!”: (3+3+3+3+4+2). Total: 18.
6:21 PM <sila> (( >.< ))
6:21 PM <ellie> ((I have gold, if need be.))
6:21 PM * Havrasti will give Sila moral support
6:21 PM <rkcgm> ((And this is why we have LOTS of coins. :P ))
6:21 PM <havrasti> (( and I’ve got a silver ))
6:21 PM <sila> “WELL YOU BETTER GET READY TO COME HERE THEN!!”
6:22 PM <sila> ((I’ll start with the borrowable gold, then use mine if necessary. DC?))
6:22 PM <ellie> “…And I’ll still be ready for when he gets here.”
6:22 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: versus roll
6:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (3+3+6+3+4+4+1). Total: 24.
6:22 PM <havrasti> ((want a green first?))
6:23 PM <havrasti> ((maybe even just a red if one’s available))
6:23 PM <ellie> ((Save the green for if we have a good roll without a six on the two gold rolls))
6:23 PM <rkcgm> ((There are no reds available.))
6:23 PM <havrasti> (fair enough))
6:24 PM <sila> !12d6: use six
6:24 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “use six”: (3+2+3+4+4+3+2+1+2+6+4+6). Total: 40.
6:24 PM <havrasti> ((so 664443?))
6:24 PM <rkcgm> ((More than sufficient.))
6:25 PM * Sila spins up the portal properly
6:25 PM <sila> “Ready!”
6:25 PM <llewelyn>: “Perhaps we can’t go back, but I have something in mind. I can animate something on the other end to carry him through.”
6:26 PM <sila> “He’s an adult dragon, it’ll have to be soemthing – wait. Dad, are you by chance wearing a pendant?”
6:26 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “I’m afraid not any more. It was destroyed…”
6:26 PM <sila> “Something big then.”
6:26 PM <havrasti> “I can help carry him.”
6:27 PM * Havrasti is big himself right now
6:27 PM <rkcgm> Another, softer voice is heard in the background, speaking ancient Greek (which Ellie can pick up on): “Who are you talking to, dragon?”
6:27 PM * Ellie translates for the others telepathically, so as not to interrupt.
6:27 PM <sila> “Not until he gets over the threshold into our date, Havrasti. One-way remember?”
6:27 PM <llewelyn>: “Then I’ll make it big.” He does some animation work.
6:28 PM <rkcgm> You can hear Leto muttering something on his end, presumably in answer.
6:28 PM <sila> “I sure hope Pedro is keeping the cloud cover up…”
6:28 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: Llewelyn’s animation vs very difficult
6:28 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s animation vs very difficult”: (5+5+1+2+2+4+3). Total: 22.
6:28 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus for Llewelyn
6:28 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus for Llewelyn”: (4+5+4+1+2+4). Total: 20.
6:28 PM <havrasti> ((55 vs 54 :) ))
6:29 PM <rkcgm> ((We’re making a note here: minimal success.))
6:29 PM <sila> ((just has to get him through the portal and we’ll take it from there…))
6:29 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Why, do you want to come?”
6:30 PM <rkcgm> Second voice: “No. I’ll make sure there is no further pursuit.”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Oh, good thinking… ufff! That hurts…”
6:31 PM <sila> “1700 years into the future and you’re worried about pursuit?”
6:31 PM <ellie> “Well, it’s not like we’ll need distractions once he gets here…”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “They’ve followed us too far already.”
6:32 PM <sila> "I’m not leaving a 17-century time portal lying around open once he gets here!
6:32 PM <ellie> "I wasn’t sure how far behind they might be.
6:33 PM <rkcgm> There’s a clunking, stony sound from deeper within the portal; it looks like Llewelyn made some sort of ten-legged walking table.
6:33 PM <sila> “…time travel. Ugh. Makes my head hurt just to read stories, and now it’s real…”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Uff… hold on a moment, pause here.”
6:35 PM <sila> (nervously) “What are we pausing for?”
6:35 PM <rkcgm> Leto kinda is looking back deeper into the portal and responds in Greek. “God bless you, George – for all your help.”
6:35 PM <havrasti> (( O.o ))
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Very distant voice: “Ha, and same to you, dragon.”
6:36 PM <sila> “…George. /Sir George/ is – wha?!? You better live to tell us this story properly.”
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Ready to move again.”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “…and I suggest faster. I can feel it collapsing.”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> ((Sila, roll again versus 7d6.))
6:37 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: versus roll
6:37 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (3+2+6+2+4+3+6). Total: 26.
6:37 PM <sila> !6d6
6:37 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (4+4+2+5+2+3). Total: 20.
6:37 PM <rkcgm> ((Just use the special.))
6:37 PM <sila> !12d6: SPECIAL
6:37 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “SPECIAL”: (5+4+2+1+1+6+6+6+5+3+5+4). Total: 48.
6:37 PM <rkcgm> ((It expires at the end of this session anyway.))
6:38 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, now re-roll the 1s and 2s until they’re not.))
6:38 PM <sila> ((everyone else has a free 6 coming their way))
6:38 PM <sila> !3d6
6:38 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “3d6”: (2+3+3). Total: 8.
6:38 PM <sila> !1d6
6:38 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “1d6”: (3). Total: 3.
6:38 PM <rkcgm> ((So final roll is 6665554433333?))
6:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll for your crit coin. :P ))
6:39 PM <sila> !2d6
6:39 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “2d6”: (2+6). Total: 8.
6:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Red.))
6:39 PM <rkcgm> ((To party.))
6:40 PM <sila> “Oh no it’s not. After all this? NO. IT. IS. NOT.”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Sila: you have an option. The ‘modern’ end of the portal is now unanchored, since Lockwood was dead; the ‘ancient’ end of the portal is very soon to become unanchored. You need to (with that roll) make a new ‘modern’ end to the portal. Pick a place.
6:42 PM * Sila sensibly picks her own back pasture, near the visitor’s lair that the refugee clan stayed in when they came through.
6:43 PM <llewelyn> focuses on moving the stone “walking table”.
6:43 PM <sila> ((it’s convenient to cover, and to Maia, and it’s already in good shape for visiting dragons. And if DEAR thinks it should’ve come out somewhere else TOO BAD.))
6:44 PM <sila> “Havrasti, love, I think we’re about to be short a few cows.”
6:44 PM <havrasti> “I’m prepared to slaughter a dozne for the celebration.”
6:44 PM <havrasti> dozen
6:45 PM <sila> “I’m so very glad you chose a property with a good lairing cave on it.”
6:46 PM <rkcgm> It should now be obvious – as Leto is actually in view – that he is very, very badly injured. All of the pieces are there, but he has been pretty badly torn up, obviously by a mix of magic and actual physical weapons.
6:48 PM <sila> “Llewelyn can that thing move any faster? I want to help Ellie, and it looks like there’s plenty to help with, but I can’t until he’s out of the portal.”
6:48 PM * Ellie is ready to begin stabilizing healing as soon as he’s within reach. In the meantime, if she can get a telepathy message through now, she introduces herself.
6:48 PM * Ellie tells Leto, /Apologies if it’s an informal introduction. But I’m Ellie. I’m a friend of your daughter’s, and a healer. And I’ll probably want to get to work as soon as you’re here if that’s all right with you…/
6:49 PM <llewelyn> sounds a bit strained: “…as you pointed out, he is an adult dragon. I designed it for carrying capacity, not speed…”
6:49 PM <sila> “OK, Ok, acknowledged.”
6:50 PM <llewelyn> gets the thing to very carefully sit down just beyond the end of the portal.
6:50 PM <sila> “Oh. What am I thinking? Here, Ellie, put this on him as soon as you can reach him.”
6:50 PM * Sila takes off her pendant and hands it to Ellie.
6:51 PM <ellie> “I think Llewelyn just got him out. Probably best he stay in this form until he’s healed…”
6:52 PM * Ellie hurries over to where Leto’s been set down and sets a hand on his shoulder. Though she got no acknowledgment of her message, she’s assuming it went through…
6:53 PM <sila> “Were you wearing a pendant when you got the wounds, Father?”
6:53 PM * Havrasti gets his bulk out of the way
6:53 PM <sila> ((as a bonus, Leto can see Sila looking like her natural self ;) ))
6:54 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “No, I wasn’t.”
6:56 PM * Ellie begins feeling with her healing magic for wounds and the best place to start in order to stabilize Leto.
6:56 PM <ellie> !7d6: Magic with First Aid knowledge
6:56 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Magic with First Aid knowledge”: (4+4+4+5+3+5+5). Total: 30.
6:57 PM <sila> “Mmm… in my experience the pendants pass wounds through pretty neatly, but I suppose if the table holds we should at least stabilize him first…”
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie: such is the extent of the injuries, that you’ll need to beat six very difficult rolls in order to fully stabilize him. You will have ten roll chances, not including coins.))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: first versus roll for healing
6:58 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “first versus roll for healing”: (5+3+3+5+6+2). Total: 24.
6:59 PM <sila> “I remember when I was nine, I got a little overly prey-focussed during a hunt and sliced my leg on some barbed wire. Mom made me stay in human form exclusively for two whole weeks, because the proportional shrinkage made it just small enough not to need stitches. I was madder than a wet hen.”
7:00 PM <ellie> ((Debating which is best – I can use the free six on this, and be guaranteed to beat. Or I could use a blue, since it’s an otherwise-ideal scenario. But there’s a chance it wouldn’t work out.))
7:00 PM <sila> ((try the blue first, IMO))
7:00 PM <sila> ((you have several rolls to beat here.))
7:00 PM <ellie> ((I think I agree. The free six can be the backup in case the blue doesn’t work, instead of burning more than one coin.))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, then use Llewelyn’s blue.))
7:01 PM <sila> ((is the portal stablized fully enough now that Sila /can/ help? ))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> ((The portal should no longer be necessary, now that you’re out the other end, right?))
7:01 PM <ellie> !4d6: keeping 5,5,5
7:01 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping 5,5,5”: (5+1+1+3). Total: 10.
7:01 PM <havrasti> ((I would think so))
7:02 PM <sila> ((Ah, OK. Well then, Remember, she has a certain amount of practice using dragon magic for healing – it might be that she could handle one roll to do things like basic closure of major wounds, while Ellie is stabilizing vital functions.))
7:02 PM <ellie> ((…Using free six to make this a success.))
7:03 PM <rkcgm> ((Very well.))
7:03 PM <sila> !6d6: Sila takes the second roll for healing
7:03 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Sila takes the second roll for healing”: (6+6+3+2+2+1). Total: 20.
7:03 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: for 2nd roll
7:03 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “for 2nd roll”: (1+1+2+5+2+4). Total: 15.
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((For Ellie’s healer rolls.))
7:04 PM <sila> “…and then mom made me start learning wound closure along with the straight-up energy magic, and I was even madder. 9-year-old me was stupid about some stuff.”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Wait, so… is Ellie the healer, or is Sila?))
7:05 PM <sila> ((Sila is performing the 2nd of the 6 rolls.))
7:05 PM <havrasti> ((or is it one person doing all the healing?))
7:06 PM <rkcgm> ((I… had neglected to remember that Sila could heal. But okay.))
7:06 PM <sila> ((While Ellie is stabilizing vital organs, Sila is closing major wounds and reconnecting blood vessels and suchlike.))
7:06 PM <rkcgm> ((Very well.))
7:06 PM <rkcgm> ((Two down, four to go.))
7:06 PM <sila> ((Sila takes a lot longer, because she’s doing micro-chemistry; this protien chain should connect to that one. Repeat, repeat.))
7:06 PM <ellie> !7d6: another roll with first aid knowledge
7:06 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “another roll with first aid knowledge”: (5+2+1+2+3+3+5). Total: 21.
7:07 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: 3rd roll
7:07 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “3rd roll”: (6+6+4+6+6+4). Total: 32.
7:07 PM <sila> ((let’s force a GM reroll then))
7:07 PM <rkcgm> ((I suggest either throwing that out with a GM re-roll – party has two trash coins.))
7:07 PM <rkcgm> ((A blue and a red.))
7:07 PM <sila> ((yes. lets do that.))
7:08 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: GM reroll
7:08 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “GM reroll”: (6+1+5+3+3+6). Total: 24.
7:08 PM <ellie> !7d6: More healing
7:08 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “More healing”: (6+1+5+3+2+4+3). Total: 24.
7:08 PM <havrasti> ((I’ve a green and a silver))
7:08 PM <sila> ((want my green, Ellie?))
7:09 PM <rkcgm> ((Moment.))
7:09 PM <havrasti> ((though we need to succeed on 6 out of 10 rolls, right? might have let that 6666 just be a loss))
7:09 PM <rkcgm> ((She rolled again there.))
7:09 PM <sila> ((oh I missed the “out of 10” part))
7:12 PM <ellie> ((Moment))
7:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay. After some discussion to clear up the confusion here – the 6543321 roll is thrown out because it was not done with a coin. Ellie’s roll was 5533221 and she will use a green coin from… Llewelyn? Yes, we’ll do that.
7:17 PM <ellie> ((I thought I was rolling for the next healing roll rather than re-rolling))
7:18 PM <ellie> !5d6: keeping 5,5
7:18 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping 5,5”: (5+4+4+1+6). Total: 20.
7:18 PM <ellie> ((Still, of course, not enough.))
7:19 PM <ellie> ((Suggest we leave this one a loss and move on.))
7:20 PM <ellie> ((Almost ready to ask to move to real dice rather than dicebot. :-p ))
7:21 PM <havrasti> ((heh, but yeah, move on))
7:22 PM <ellie> ((Okay, One more dicebot roll before I ask to punish it by using real dice instead.))
7:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay. Now try 4 / 10, 2 heals passed, 4 to go.))
7:22 PM <ellie> !7d6: Heal again
7:22 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Heal again”: (2+1+1+2+4+6+3). Total: 19.
7:23 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: 4th roll for 3rd heal
7:23 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “4th roll for 3rd heal”: (5+1+2+6+6+5). Total: 25.
7:23 PM <rkcgm> !60d6: GM beats dicebot, GM wins
7:23 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “GM beats dicebot, GM wins”: (6+5+5+3+2+4+4+5+4+3+4+4+1+1+2+5+2+4+2+1+3+1+1+6+3+6+6+4+1+5+1+2+4+4+4+1+4+5+2+1+3+1+5+1+3+5+3+2+2+5+6+2+2+6+5+3+4+5+6+3). Total: 203.
7:23 PM <rkcgm> GM throws out dicebot’s number.
7:23 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: 4th roll for 3rd heal
7:23 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “4th roll for 3rd heal”: (5+3+1+5+5+4). Total: 23.
7:24 PM <ellie> !7d6: Suppose we’ll try again
7:24 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Suppose we’ll try again”: (6+1+3+2+1+6+4). Total: 23.
7:29 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: 5th roll for 4th heal
7:29 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “5th roll for 4th heal”: (2+3+1+3+1+4). Total: 14.
7:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Check, four down, two to go.))
7:29 PM <ellie> !7d6: Another roll
7:29 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Another roll”: (3+6+4+1+1+1+4). Total: 20.
7:30 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: 6th roll for 5th heal
7:30 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “6th roll for 5th heal”: (4+3+5+5+2+6). Total: 25.
7:30 PM * Sila finishes closing major wounds on Leto’s right side and moves to the left…
7:30 PM <rkcgm> ((No joy. Ellie, use Llewelyn’s gold.))
7:30 PM <ellie> ((Would green be better in this case, since there’s a six present?))
7:31 PM <sila> ((a six and no ones…))
7:31 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti and Sila have greens.))
7:31 PM <sila> ((I’d be glad to donate))
7:31 PM <havrasti> ((I’ll give mine for when it’s needed))
7:31 PM <rkcgm> ((Checking off Sila’s green, then.))
7:31 PM <ellie> !6d6: keeping six
7:31 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping six”: (4+6+2+4+5+4). Total: 25.
7:31 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit, and coin return.))
7:31 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
7:31 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (6+3). Total: 9.
7:32 PM <sila> !2d6: return coin
7:32 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “return coin”: (5+5). Total: 10.
7:32 PM <rkcgm> ((Two greens back.))
7:32 PM <sila> ((the same coin really did come back ;) ))
7:32 PM * Sila pauses to hold a particularly bad wound closed while Ellie heals it
7:33 PM <rkcgm> ((I love this system. You can sometimes increase your coin count by using donated coins. Cause TEAMWORK!))
7:33 PM <sila> “I am SO glad you’re here.”
7:33 PM <havrasti> ((hehe))
7:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, last one.))
7:34 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: last healing roll, 7th try
7:34 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “last healing roll, 7th try”: (5+5+2+1+6+3). Total: 22.
7:34 PM <ellie> !7d6: One more heal
7:34 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “One more heal”: (6+4+6+5+2+6+2). Total: 31.
7:34 PM <rkcgm> ((Blew that one away.))
7:34 PM <ellie> !2d6: I finally get a roll that’s worth something :-p
7:34 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “I finally get a roll that’s worth something :-p”: (3+6). Total: 9.
7:34 PM <rkcgm> ((Another green.))
7:35 PM <sila> “Father, are you still awake? How do you feel?”
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Leto grumbles. “Terrible. Need a nap.”
7:35 PM <sila> “Maia is less than 10 minutes from here.”
7:36 PM * Sila is INCREDIBLY glad she saved her phone from the EMP
7:36 PM <sila> “I’m just going to step out of the cave and call her, OK? Stay awake.”
7:37 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “…that’s ALMOST good enough to make me get up and fly, but I’m not… moving, yes. Not going to.”
7:37 PM <sila> “She’ll be here soon, I promise.”
7:38 PM * Ellie sits down to lean against the wall of the cave. She’s kinda tired, herself.
7:38 PM * Sila gets far enough out into the pasture to get a signal and calls home. “Mom? I need you to come to the guest-lair /right away/ – something wonderful has happened! Prepare yourself for the shock of your life, but I promise it’s good.”
7:39 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Zzzzz…”
7:39 PM * Sila gets her pendand back from Ellie, since they aren’t using it after all
7:39 PM * Havrasti flies out to his pasture to find a nice fat cow. He brings the poor perturbed creature back to Leto. “Moooo?” (they’re semi-used to a dragon being around them, but maybe not quite to being picked up ;) )
7:40 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “Zzzz…”
7:40 PM <sila> “You look almost as wiped out as he sounds. You want me to, say, raid the cookie jar on your behalf?”
7:41 PM <sila> (At Ellie)
7:42 PM <ellie> “Hmm. I think I wouldn’t say no to a cookie… though… we kinda left Pedro behind. …Oh well… wasn’t really our job to bring him back. And emergency…” Ellie is tired-rambling.
7:42 PM <sila> “Yeah…yeah, we might need to go back, actually. But I think it can wait 10 minutes at this point.”
7:43 PM <rkcgm> Sila’s phone rings.
7:43 PM <rkcgm> …it’s Douglas.
7:43 PM * Ellie would’ve nodded. Honestly. But her head felt really comfortable up against the cave wall.
7:43 PM <sila> “Gotta clean up that portal we left in the bar at the very least…make sure the Cubans have someone who can take the rest of the slayers into custody… Hello, Sila speaking.”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “FINALLY! Your phone dropped off the grid yesterday afternoon and just now reconnected. What happened?”
7:45 PM <sila> “Yesterday…? Uh. Well the slayer-giant knew how to do EMP and nuclear-style radiation. So he fried everyone else’s electronics, and I barely saved my phone. And then we got caught in a time-portal going unstable, which might account for what sounds like quite a few missing hours?”
7:46 PM <sila> “But I’m reasonably sure I fully contained the nuke attempt, and I’m also fairly sure the slayer is dead. Not so sure about his cronies – did Pedro and the Cubans get them under control?”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “…you used the words ‘time portal’. Did I hear that right?”
7:47 PM <sila> “Yeah. My dad is alive, by the way. Sir George /might/ have been slandered? It’s only been a few minutes from our perspective, we don’t have it all sorted out yet.”
7:47 PM <sila> “Dad just came forward 1700 years or so. He says the effect is forward-moving only.”
7:48 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “…Hickory, I need some alcoholic doggie treats. Can you, please…”
7:48 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Okay, Sila. I’m going to stall General Archer for another hour, but I need a report soon after that. If nothing else, send Llewelyn here to look pretty.”
7:48 PM <havrasti> “So we’ve been gone half a day? What happened in Cuba after we left?”
7:49 PM <sila> “Yeah, I’ve gotta unbind the portal we left in some bar. Uh, better watch the DEAR end until I get there. See you in an hour.”
7:49 PM <rkcgm> Douglas has already hung up.
7:50 PM <rkcgm> …which is good, because this is the moment Maia arrives.
7:50 PM <rkcgm> And she walks in, stops, screams.
7:51 PM <sila> “It’s OK mom! Ellie healed him. I helped! He’s going to be OK.”
7:51 PM <rkcgm> Leto twitches and barely opens an eye. “Boo.”
7:51 PM <maia> “…you…you’re…but you died…”
7:52 PM * Ellie looks up at the scream. Looks over at Leto when he says “Boo.” Manages a snerk.
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Mostly.”
7:52 PM * Maia fumbles with her own pendant
7:52 PM <maia> “Well then…then it took you long enough!”
7:53 PM * Maia takes off her pendant and lays down next to Leto, snuggling up to his side
7:53 PM * Sila snerks
7:53 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Long, and not long at all…”
7:54 PM <sila> [D] “Hehe, Every dragon in the two worlds except mom and Sam would like you to know our accent is incredibly archaic.”
7:54 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “…I saw you only two sunrises ago, and… she says, that was seventeen centuries…”
7:55 PM * Maia wing-hugs Leto. “Alive…but…two days? How is that possible?”
7:55 PM <havrasti> “Yes. Welcome to the 21st century and its modern marvels.”
7:56 PM <llewelyn> is standing in the corner of the cave, shaking his phone like an etch-a-sketch. “Hey, it works again!”
7:56 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Complicated. I think I told you once that I’d played with a time portal?”
7:57 PM <sila> [Eng] “Get ready to call Douglass then, he wants a report for the General in an hour.”
7:57 PM <maia> [D] “I seem to recall opining that it was a bad idea, yes.”
7:58 PM <havrasti> “Have you called Sam yet, Sila?”
7:58 PM <sila> “Oh! I’ll go do that right now!”
7:58 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Of course you were always right, Maia.”
7:58 PM * Sila steps out again.
7:59 PM <maia> [D] “You… /portaled/ yourself through 17 centuries?”
7:59 PM <maia> [D] “And somehow managed to land in the hunting grounds of your daughter, not yet quickened when the portal was begun??”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Well. I tossed a dragonhunter through it.”
8:00 PM * Maia rears up.
8:00 PM <maia> “Dragonslayers! HERE?!?”
8:00 PM <sila> “Hi Sam, you’ll never believe – uh, don’t mind the shouting, there aren’t really.”
8:00 PM <havrasti> “We dealt with him, already, Maia.”
8:00 PM <rkcgm> Leto gives a very raspy-sounding laugh. “The look on his face…. ah hah hah ow.”
8:01 PM <havrasti> “Sila brought the end of the portal here, actually.”
8:01 PM <sila> “No really, I promise. The dragon-slayers were in Cuba, not on the ranch. What? Well of course I was, it’s my job to deal with that kind of – Sam, I’m fine! Listen, you need to come home. Bring Anna! It’s the most unbelievable thing you’ll never believe unless you see it.”
8:02 PM <llewelyn>’s fiddling with his phone. “He went completely ballistic. Nuked himself, really…”
8:02 PM * Maia Translates for Leto as necessary ;)
8:03 PM <ellie> “This story is going to need as much correcting as the Sir George story…” Ellie mutters. Her head is still leaning against the cave wall, and her eyes are closed.
8:03 PM <sila> “What? Yes you heard right. Nuked as in nuclear radiation. Yes. Yes. No! I contained it – all that practice you gave me as a kid really, really, really paid off. But we rescued a dragon, critically injured – not the one we were protecting, an older attempt.”
8:04 PM <ellie> ((I was kinda hoping Maia would hear the mutter about Sir George and react.))
8:04 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “What, you heard of Georgios?”
8:05 PM <sila> “Well the good news is the slayer is dead. The main one anyway, and the others didn’t follow us home, because we got caught in a time portal – what, did I stutter? Sam. SAM! It’s our Father!!”
8:05 PM <sila> “Yes. Yes. I already said yes. Come home and meet him!”
8:05 PM <rkcgm> ((There is the sound of a phone being dropped.))
8:05 PM <ellie> “Well, I thought we heard you say something to a George on your way here…”
8:06 PM * Sila waits for Sam to pick up the phone again.
8:06 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Mm, yes. Clever little human. I hope he’s okay.”
8:07 PM <ellie> “Oh, and you wouldn’t know. The story of Sir George slaying the dragon is legendary. Yes. It’s told he killed you. But according to the legend, it seemed to work out for him…”
8:07 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “…ugh. Seventeen centuries, though. Probably dead now. That’s depressing.”
8:07 PM * Ellie has not, incidentally, been opening her eyes or taking her head away from the wall through the course of conversation. ;-)
8:07 PM <sila> “For the fifth time, yes, I am completely and utterly serious. Yes. Oh – I don’t know, we have to do some cleanup on the job. There’s a loose portal to unweave, and we have to check on the lesser slayers, and oh yeah, Cuba might be having a regime change. They were doing OK when the slayers got involved, anyway.”
8:08 PM <llewelyn> is using his phone: “Huh. So Pedro’s now the new president of Cuba.”
8:09 PM <ellie> “Pfft.”
8:09 PM <sila> “I’ll see you when you get here then! Yeah, he’s in Havra and my guest lair at the moment.”
8:09 PM * Havrasti would do a spit take if he was drinking anything, “…That was fast.”
8:09 PM <ellie> Still no position change from Ellie.
8:09 PM <sila> “Love you too! Bye.”
8:09 PM <sila> “Did you say, Pedro is the new prsident?”
8:09 PM <llewelyn>: “Uh huh.”
8:09 PM <maia> [D] “I…thought he killed you. He /said/ he killed you!”
8:09 PM <sila> “…Yay?”
8:10 PM <sila> “Uh, any wild magic stories?”
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Planned. I was trying to shake off some dragonhunters that were coming after you and the eggs.”
8:10 PM <sila> [D} “THE EGGS! Oh. OH this is great! I can /give back/ the eggs!”
8:11 PM * Maia sputters at that
8:12 PM <havrasti> “Well, Maia is still qutie… well…”
8:13 PM <sila> “But she has our FATHER to help her now! Hahaha! Excuse me, I’m going to get some food for the healer. And maybe everyone else. I might be starting to feel lightheaded myself.”
8:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Apparently the Cuban secret police tried to disrupt the protesting crowd by burning several trucks full of marijuana leaf in the Plaza of the Revolution. Fortunately, the valiant Cuban Army stepped in to protect and preserve the voice of the people.”
8:14 PM * Sila can be heard shouting “Whoo Hooo!” as she jogs towards the house
8:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Heh heh. Good one, Pedro.”
8:15 PM <ellie> “And any weird magic stories, they can say everyone was high, what do they know…”
8:15 PM <maia> [D] “You’re 1700 years younger than me now. It’s so surreal…”
8:17 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “…I’m never going to be able to make an age-related joke again, am I?”
8:17 PM <havrasti> [D] “Did you make many before?”
8:17 PM * Ellie chuckles a tad.
8:17 PM <maia> [D] “Not if you don’t want to be hearing them forever…”
8:18 PM <maia> [D] “Speaking of age, we have two hatchlings. They think they’re adults – not even 30 yet. One good thing about the long wait, though, they both found fine dragons to court for mates! Samurr is still working on it.”
8:18 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “All the time. I was a few centuries old when she was born, and so I always teased her…”
8:19 PM <maia> [D] “Look at it this way – no one will ever accuse /you/ of robbing the creche again!”
8:19 PM <havrasti> [D] “Well now you’re the young’n.”
8:20 PM <maia> [D] "People might give /me/ some odd looks. I’m so old even the pendant-form looks old.
8:20 PM <rkcgm> Leto finally makes some tired motions, extending a wing over Maia: [D] “So… two of the four have hatched, then?”
8:21 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “…I want introductions, later. But right now… I think I need some sl… oh! A food!”
8:21 PM <rkcgm> Leto gestures to the cow, opens his mouth, gestures towards his mouth.
8:22 PM <rkcgm> Cow: “?”
8:22 PM <maia> [D] “The other two are unquickened. I told Sila she would have to hatch them – I was too old and too sick. I, uh, might have made a poor choice of element for Samurr. An Ilfirin helped heal me of the radiation damage, though, so maybe…maybe we really can…”
8:22 PM <rkcgm> Leto: “…!”
8:22 PM * Havrasti nudges the cow foward
8:22 PM <rkcgm> Leto repeats the gesture.
8:23 PM <rkcgm> Cow suddenly looks dazed – stumbles forward, and trips, and falls into Leto’s mouth.
8:23 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Nomnomnom.”
8:23 PM * Sila returns, bearing crackers, oreos, doritos, beef jerky, milk, and lemonade,
8:24 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “…so. Sila. And Samurr. Hm.”
8:24 PM <ellie> ((Sorry, but… funny how it’s “an Ilfirin helped heal me.” Because… after all… the Ilfirin wasn’t actually the healer. :-p Poor Ellie. Always blends right into the wall. :-p ;-) Also, for clarity – kidding. ;-) ))
8:24 PM <ellie> ((Actually, she probably mostly likes it better that way. ;-) ))
8:24 PM <sila> (( /helped/ heal, yes, exactly.))
8:25 PM <sila> ((Leto will probably put the pieces together when they’ve had more time to talk ;) He seems like a rather intelligent sort of person.))
8:25 PM <havrasti> “Why are you bringing those, Sila?”
8:25 PM <sila> ((And he knows exactly what kind of healer Ellie is!))
8:26 PM <sila> “Because I don’t think Ellie wants to eat fresh cows, and she looks like she could use a boost.”
8:26 PM <sila> “Also, if you didn’t hear, Douglas wants us at DEAR ready to make a coherent report in an hour. Of which we have about 40 minutes left.”
8:27 PM <havrasti> “Ahh. I see. Well, we could take everyone to the house while your father rests.”
8:27 PM * Ellie stirs from the wall in order to retrieve some of the lemonade, beef jerky, and oreos.
8:28 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Hm. Good bovine stock. Haven’t had anything that good since we raided the elvish royal heard back five years ag… erg. Really long ago.”
8:28 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “I’ll need another one when I wake zzzzzz…”
8:28 PM * Havrasti chuckles, “Sounds like you’ll have some stories to tell, and the chance to tell them.”
8:29 PM <sila> “Thank you father – Havrasti and I raise them. We’ll need to dig up the last spare pendant for you, pretty soon, but not before the hour. Will you be OK here for a while?”
8:30 PM <maia> [D] “I can take care of him if he needs anything. Go, take care of business. Make sure the slayers are well and truly out of it.”
8:30 PM <rkcgm> Leto: [D] “Zzzzz…” *flame spurt snoring of doom

8:32 PM <ellie> Somewhat revived by the food – having moved on from her cookies and beef jerky to some chips, more beef jerky, more lemonade, and another cookie – Ellie gets up and looks ready to head out.
8:32 PM <sila> [Eng] “Heh…well if he’s going to snore like that, he definitely has to stick to the cave.”
8:32 PM <llewelyn>: “Yeah. Too many books in my house.”
8:33 PM <sila> “Mom, Sam will be calling you with his flight itinerary soon. I’ll call with our ETA when we know it too.”
8:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Anything else?))
8:33 PM <maia> {Eng] “Thank you, Sila. And Ellie – thank you so much. I can never thank you enough, twice now.”
8:34 PM * Maia traces a claw delicately along the line of a new scar
8:34 PM * Ellie smiles. “Just glad I was able to help.”
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:29 PM <rkcgm> Less than an hour ago, we finished fighting the high-caliber dragonhunter known as Lockwood.
4:29 PM <rkcgm> Upon Lockwood’s death, we accidentally triggered a ‘time portal’ set up by Sila’s father in 297 AD, when he was supposedly killed by Saint/Sir George (in fact a Roman tribune by the name of Georgios).
4:29 PM <rkcgm> It turns out that Lockwood fought Leto in 297 AD – and the mortally-wounded Leto tossed him through a time portal into the modern era.
4:29 PM <rkcgm> You pulled Leto through to the modern era in order to heal him, and he is now “sleeping it off” in the cave on Havrasti’s property.
4:29 PM <rkcgm> Unfortunately, it is now time to report to your bosses on the situation in Cuba, which seems to have gone funny in the meantime.
4:29 PM <rkcgm> Pedro, who’s life you were supposed to save from the dragonhunters, has totally staged a coup and become the new president, as Llewelyn found out on the news.
4:29 PM <rkcgm> You arrive at DEAR headquarters again and find many people waiting for you, including Douglas, Hickory, and General Archer.
4:31 PM <sila> ((The above was imagined as post-nap-reflections ;) Right now he’s kind of sticking at “I’m alive! We’re alive! Thank you God I still don’t know how it happened we ALIVE! ZZZZZzzz.”))
4:32 PM <llewelyn> knocks politely on the office door. “Hey chief, we’re baaaack.”
4:32 PM <rkcgm> Hickory-as-Douglas: “Come in, please.”
4:32 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “FINALLY! What on earth kept you?”
4:33 PM * Sila tries to look like a confident operative and not a defiant school child
4:33 PM <sila> “Time magic. Blame my father.”
4:33 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “You’re almost a day late!”
4:33 PM <llewelyn>: “A wizard is never late.”
4:33 PM * Ellie smirks
4:33 PM <ellie> Very, very slightly.
4:33 PM <ellie> ;-)
4:33 PM <llewelyn>: “We arrived precisely when we-”
4:33 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “I say that you’re LATE.”
4:34 PM <sila> “General, it took as long as it took; we got back to DC within an hour of getting out of the time portal.”
4:34 PM <havrasti> “We hear we missed a day.”
4:35 PM <llewelyn> mutters under his breath “I suppose rank has its privileges on that count.”
4:35 PM <rkcgm> General Archer raises her eyebrows: “A time portal? I didn’t know that was possible.”
4:35 PM <ellie> “I’m not sure we did, either.”
4:36 PM <sila> “Neither did anyone else. The person who tried it /may/ have been the first and, ah…he overshot his intended time by a factor of about 100. Maybe 200.”
4:37 PM <rkcgm> General Archer appears to calm down slightly. “So, please report. CNN is getting more accurate information out of Cuba than I am, and that is unacceptable!”
4:37 PM <sila> “…they aren’t reporting a big wizard fight in the Plaza de Revolution, are they?”
4:39 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “No, but what they ARE reporting is that Iglesias sparked a revolution in the streets of Havana, incited the military to overthrow Castro and the Communist party, and got named president of Cuba!”
4:39 PM <sila> “Well we knew before we left that he was working with the military to plan a coup.”
4:40 PM <ellie> “And we were told to keep him alive but not help with his activities. That’s… pretty much what we did. Though it translated more into stopping the crazy people from killing everybody.”
4:41 PM <ellie> “We weren’t really around for the revolution part; that’s where the time portal kicked in.”
4:41 PM <havrasti> “We took down a key sniper post, which let Pedro get to where he was going.”
4:41 PM <sila> "We talked down two of the slayer mages with no bloodshed, and by the time we did that and had a nice “chat” with the head slayer, Pedro was already busy with the “inciting revolution in the streets” part."
4:42 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “Fortunately, I can tell the president that you DIDN’T actually aid the revolutionaries – I was able to determine that much.”
4:42 PM <sila> “And you will recall we weren’t ordered to /interfere/ with his plans either.”
4:42 PM <sila> “Just to try and take the slayers out of the picture.”
4:43 PM <ellie> “Which really needed to happen, since their leader was willing to use nuclear magic in pursuit of his cause.”
4:43 PM <sila> “And also since he was specifically looking for my family, and might have come at us by surprise otherwise.”
4:43 PM <rkcgm> General Archer is taking notes.
4:44 PM <sila> “I mean – he wasn’t looking for us /in Cuba/ – that was just part of his habit of killing dragons at every opportunity. The Cubans tried to order him to stand down, and he refused.”
4:44 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “Is that so? Hm.”
4:44 PM <havrasti> (would Llewelyn have briefed us on things that we shouldn’t mention to the general?)
4:45 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “This lead dragonhunter had an agenda, then? A name?”
4:45 PM <havrasti> “His name he used in this age was Lockwood.”
4:46 PM <sila> “Yes, Name Lockwood. Race Giant, profession Dragon Eater. Way too powerful for the good of…well the world, considering what he was willing to do with radiation.”
4:46 PM <rkcgm> Hickory-as-Douglas: “I believe I mentioned that to you this morning in my briefing, General…?”
4:47 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “Hmph. Our satellites did detect some minor radiation spikes in that area from that time period, but the CIA determined they were anomalies…”
4:47 PM <sila> “I am /so/ glad to hear that.”
4:48 PM <ellie> “It would be more accurate to say they were the attempted weaponry of a murderous idiot, but it’s all for the best that they say ‘anomaly’…”
4:48 PM * Sila may have mentioned to the others that she doesn’t particularly want to brag to General Archer about just how powerful and anti-radiation spell she cast at the end of the battle…
4:49 PM <llewelyn>: “Have you heard directly from the Cubans about the other mages? We defeated them and had them restrained, but after our departure…”
4:49 PM <sila> “The missing day derailed our clean-up.”
4:49 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “No information on that at the moment.”
4:50 PM <sila> “I have a portal to unbind too.”
4:51 PM <sila> “Oh, and we have to contact the French about trying to talk the Sisters over to the side of good and light, or at least law and due dilligence.”
4:52 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “The President publicly condemned the overthrow of the Cuban government, and indicates he won’t support Iglesias or legitimize his new government. But that position isn’t… heh heh, universally shared by all Americans.”
4:52 PM <sila> “Why on earth would be condemn the coup? Wasn’t the previous government kind of our closest insane-type enemy state?”
4:53 PM <sila> ((be = He))
4:53 PM <ellie> “Condone one coup, condone your own, perhaps?”
4:53 PM * Havrasti mutters “Commies gotta stick together.”
4:54 PM <sila> “I’ve had American history, I didn’t think democratic revolutions were particularly frowned on…or is Pedro not going for a proper democracy?”
4:54 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “There were apparently some back-door discussions about normalizing relations between the US and Cuba. Iglesias upset those discussions, and when it comes out, it’ll probably make the President look bad.”
4:56 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “Most other countries have preferred to adopt a simple ‘we don’t like the word ‘coup’ but we look forward to better relations’ statements.”
4:57 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “Though the Venezuelans are kinda upset. But that’s neither here nor there.”
4:57 PM <sila> “Ah. /Such/ a shame. I’ll keep my opinions to myself professionally, but privately I /might/ be one of those Americans who prefer to give the new regime a chance.”
4:59 PM <rkcgm> General Archer’s aide sticks her head in the office. “General, it’s time that we left for your debriefing at the White House.”
4:59 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “Thank you, Captain Reyes.”
5:00 PM <sila> “Have we covered all the important points for the General?”
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Archer closes her notebook and stands, while Captain Reyes glances at you all with a slightly-curious, slightly tense expression.
5:01 PM <sila> ((If Sila was the one with telepathy powers, that would be SUCH a temptation right there :P ))
5:01 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “I believe I have what I need for the moment, enough to deal with the President. Douglas, I want the full writeup in my hands immediately, though.”
5:01 PM <ellie> ((Ellie is behaving. :-p ;-) ))
5:01 PM <rkcgm> Hickory-as-Douglas: “By the end of the evening. Am I right, Agent Parwell.”
5:01 PM <ellie> ((Ellie is more tempted to check on how Douglas feels about being bossed around. But is still behaving. :-p ;-) ))
5:01 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes.”
5:03 PM <havrasti> ((tsk, Ellie’s no fun :P ;) ))
5:03 PM <rkcgm> The general departs.
5:04 PM <rkcgm> Hickory: “…about time. I thought she’d never leave. I really need to use the restroom.”
5:04 PM * Sila snerks
5:05 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “So was there anything else you didn’t mention in front of the General?”
5:05 PM <sila> “There might be some details…”
5:05 PM <sila> “Even one or three I wouldn’t want in that report you’re sending later.”
5:07 PM * Havrasti tells Douglas everything with his perfect memory
5:07 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Stop fidgeting, Hickory. Go! Okay, guys, let’s get the story clear for the General…”
5:08 PM <sila> (Don’t worry, “Douglas,” we’ll watch your dog for you :P :P )
5:10 PM * Sila lets Havrasti get everything in order
5:10 PM <sila> ((or does the GM want us to talk it out so Douglas can respond to particular points?))
5:11 PM <llewelyn> adds in a few minor clarifications, but otherwise lets Havrasti talk.
5:11 PM * Ellie puts in a word here or there as she sees room, but otherwise also lets Havrasti do the recitation.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Hm. I’d say it was fascinating, but I’m actually kinda getting scared about nuclear battle mages, now.”
5:13 PM <sila> "Here’s the thing Douglas – that last blast from Lockwood was seriously bad news. Maybe a “kill all of Havana” level of bad news. But I do not want you telling the military I can contain atomic bombs OK? I don’t know if I could handle what I think they’d want me to do with that ability…"
5:14 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “That’s entirely fair.”
5:14 PM <sila> “Also, I really /really/ don’t want you pointing out that my brother can totally do that same thing. The military does NOT need to know.”
5:15 PM <ellie> “Also… should they know too much about the time travel aspect? Though that cat is kinda out of the bag.”
5:16 PM <sila> “Meh, It’s limited to one-way going forwards, not particularly useful for most military purposes.”
5:16 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I already worked that one out for myself – living radiological guns aren’t discussed.”
5:16 PM <sila> “Aren’t you glad you employed him though?”
5:17 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Absolutely. In case I absolutely, positively, need to nuke something from orbit.”
5:17 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s the only way to be sure.”
5:18 PM <sila> “Are you planning to send Sam into space? He’ll be thrilled.”
5:18 PM <llewelyn>: “I’m pretty sure you could do it with a portal.”
5:20 PM <sila> “I was thinking more in terms of having an excuse to know where he is and what he’s doing most of the time, and I would /not/ be up for that Llewelyn. I have a /thing/ about giving people radiation poisoning, you know? Speaking of which, we need to see if we can get an update on those other mages.”
5:20 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “But now, I think I need you to get back into the field for cleanup – see if you can find out what happened with those other Safari Club mages.”
5:21 PM <havrasti> “Alright.”
5:21 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “After pouty POTUS reamed the Cubans for showing the Commies to the door, we’ve not really heard anything on their situation.”
5:23 PM <sila> (dryly) “I wonder why.”
5:23 PM <ellie> “Before we go, I do have a question.”
5:24 PM <ellie> “…It’s probably undiplomatic. But does the general’s department actually outrank this one, or does she just act like it?”
5:24 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Yes, Ellie?”
5:24 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Ah… difficult to say.”
5:25 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “That’s a matter of some debate between General Archer and myself. Truth be told, she’s probably going to end up outranking me because she partnered up with Senator Lu.”
5:26 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “And the Senator can assure that Special Task Force Unicorn gets money – and the president’s ear.”
5:27 PM <sila> “And here I thought the president was all for downgrading the military.”
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “If she hadn’t been able to whistle up mages from somewhere, even that wouldn’t have been much of a problem. But she found Major Heim and Reyes, and is apparently recruiting for more.”
5:29 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sure. But DEAR was started under a Republican, and staffed by people who are mostly conservative and therefore… independent-minded. You get what I’m saying?”
5:29 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. Well, thank you. That helps me understand her behavior in a fuller context.”
5:30 PM * Sila nods ad Douglas
5:31 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I suspect the eventual agreement we’ll end up making is that Unicorn handles international missions, while we do domestic. Since the military cannot constitutionally be used domestically. But that’s not a sure thing, yet.”
5:32 PM <ellie> “Hmm.”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Anyway, best be off with you.”
5:33 PM <sila> “Yeah, let’s be about it…”
5:33 PM * Sila skypes the address she used in Cuba, “Is anyone still monitoring this channel?”
5:34 PM <havrasti> “Oh, and we will need to nationalize another dragon.”
5:34 PM <havrasti> “As well as modernize…”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> Sila does not receive any response – account is turned off.
5:35 PM <sila> “Teach English…fake up a marriage certificate…I suppose they could renew their vows though. Probably a good idea after all this time.”
5:35 PM <sila> “I wonder if Father will want to get a modern education?”
5:36 PM <ellie> “How much does he love books? Might be the deciding factor…”
5:36 PM <sila> “Well, he /was/ involved in making that library, remember?”
5:37 PM <ellie> “So… wherein lies the question?” Ellie winks.
5:38 PM <sila> “Well. Let’s go ask Jacinta ((was that her name?)) if she knows how to contact him /now/ or if we’re going to have to go knock on Cuban doors just to find out if the mages got taken into custody.”
5:39 PM <ellie> “Sounds like a good place to start. …Is Jacinta still here, or had she left DEAR?”
5:40 PM <llewelyn>: “She’s still here. I think I spotted her earlier, with Charlotte still in tow.”
5:40 PM <sila> “It’s only been a day, and she /was/ in protective custody.”
5:41 PM <sila> “Shall we try Charlotte’s office?”
5:42 PM <ellie> “Sounds like a plan to me.”
5:43 PM <rkcgm> You find Charlotte in her office, with Jacinta playing games on a borrowed iPad.
5:44 PM <sila> “Good morning, or whatever time it is now…”
5:45 PM <havrasti> ((surely Sila has mental access to a digital clock :P ))
5:45 PM <sila> ((if she thinks to look before she starts talking :P ))
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Hey guys! And it’s evening.”
5:46 PM <sila> ((we probably have seen the local sky too, but Sila’s just a tiny bit off-center on the whole time thing as yet :P ))
5:46 PM <sila> “Right. Good evening! Jacinta, do you know how to contact Pedro this hour?”
5:47 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “…maaaaybe. But I’m pretty sure the CIA are trying to eavesdrop.”
5:47 PM <ellie> “Well… do we really have anything to ask that they can’t hear?” Ellie looks to the others.
5:48 PM <ellie> “I mean, if we got ahold of him, at least we could ask for a meeting or something.”
5:48 PM <sila> “Depends on if the CIA members in question are aware of magic, I guess…”
5:49 PM <ellie> “So strike any mention of magic…”
5:49 PM <llewelyn>: “We could always mess with the CIA. I’ve not gotten to do that since you guys arrived at DEAR.”
5:49 PM <ellie> “Heee! How do you mean?”
5:49 PM <sila> “You got to mess with the CIA when we were hired?”
5:50 PM <havrasti> “Talk about magic openly and they think we’re talking in code?”
5:51 PM <llewelyn> shrugs. “It’s an idea.”
5:52 PM <ellie> “Hmm. Either way. Pedro is probably the one we need to talk to right now to make our job when we get to Cuba easier.”
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Oh, you’re going? Please, take me with you!”
5:53 PM <havrasti> “Uhh…”
5:53 PM <sila> “Um…transporting citizens across international borders without official permission /might/ be considered out of line.”
5:54 PM <ellie> “We could ask Douglas for permission. If he gives it, then it’s not without. If he doesn’t, you might need to wait a bit longer to go through official channels.”
5:55 PM <llewelyn>: “It’ll probably be fine.”
5:55 PM <sila> “Worth it if it gets us the contact we need – I’ll call him real quick.”
5:56 PM * Sila calls Douglass
5:57 PM <rkcgm> “Woof.”
5:58 PM <sila> “Mind if we take Jacinta to Cuba? She wants to go, and we need help getting back in contact with the new Cuban government.”
5:59 PM <havrasti> “Though isn’t it the government that you’re entering who would have a problem with unofficial migrants? I doubt this one will mind her coming.”
5:59 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sure, go ahead.”
6:00 PM <sila> “OK, just making sure. Not our fault if she doesn’t come back and so forth.”
6:01 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “So long as she files her taxes at the end of the year, nobody will hunt her down.”
6:03 PM <sila> “Right. On our way then.”
6:03 PM * Sila hangs up, commenting, “I guess he’s not worried about any further witness statements or whatever. Probably because you were here when most of the excitement went down.”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Hurray!”
6:06 PM <ellie> “So, what would be the best way to get ahold of Pedro, then?”
6:07 PM <havrasti> “Well, why not get to Havana first?”
6:07 PM <sila> “Is Havana the best place? Or is it maybe Jacinta’s office?”
6:08 PM <llewelyn>: “I’d say Havana.”
6:08 PM <sila> “Um…Jacinta, what do /you/ say?”
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I presume that if you’re looking for Pedro, you’ll find him in Havana.”
6:11 PM * Sila shrugs.
6:11 PM <sila> "All right, lets head for the garage then.
6:12 PM * Sila heads down and spins open the portal
6:13 PM <sila> “Your contact method better work though.”
6:13 PM * Ellie follows along
6:15 PM <rkcgm> ((Any particular place for the portal? Or the same place we went the first time?))
6:17 PM <sila> ((I’m using the actual same one from last time, which was not taken down. I’m just re-opening the entrance, which was closed to prevent accidental walk-throughs))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, just checking.))
6:18 PM <sila> ((Sila didn’t want to have to re-create the portal in an emergency, but that does mean she has to actively take it down, which is why she’s been concerned about it when we ended up coming back by a different route))
6:19 PM * Sila walks out into the bar.
6:19 PM <sila> “Feels familiar, huh Jacinta?”
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Wow… warm. And downtrodden.”
6:20 PM <sila> “I hope we aren’t arriving at happy hour this time.”
6:21 PM * Sila listens at the door of the back room
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Silence
6:22 PM * Ellie also does a telepathy listen in the surrounding area.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> Ellie does not sense anything of note or concern within ~250 feet.
6:23 PM * Ellie lets the others know it sounds like the coast is clear.
6:23 PM <sila> “…I wonder if this place is in business? Or if it’s not quite the kind of business I thought? Though I suppose it could be closed for the revolution.”
6:24 PM <llewelyn>: “Pretty sure it’s not in business.”
6:24 PM <sila> “Ah. That’s convenient I guess.”
6:24 PM <sila> “Is the lock still, ah, fixed, from last night?”
6:24 PM <ellie> “So, Jacinta, what steps are we going to need to take to contact Pedro?”
6:25 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta gets out her iPad again – but before she can do any navigation, four Cuban Army jeeps pull up in front of the building.
6:26 PM * Sila goes invisible
6:26 PM * Ellie lightbends the rest of us.
6:26 PM * Ellie also does a telepathy reading to see what their intent is and why they’re here /now/…
6:27 PM <sila> (whispering) “Llewelyn, does Cuba have a magnet-like device, that you know of?”
6:27 PM <rkcgm> An army officer gets out of the lead jeep, and the drivers of the following vehicles get out and open the back doors.
6:27 PM <llewelyn>: “Nope.”
6:28 PM * Havrasti wonders why they’re here, then. Not like we made it known that we came in this way last time
6:28 PM <sila> (w) “Well they didn’t come to an out-of-business bar for a drink. With four jeeps.”
6:29 PM <rkcgm> The officer from the first jeep comes up and knocks politely on the door.
6:29 PM * Ellie continues trying to get a read on who they are and what they want.
6:31 PM <rkcgm> From her telepathy scan, Ellie determines that they were just ordered to come here, knock on the door, and drive you to meet with Pedro.
6:31 PM * Ellie passes this information on to the others telepathically, though she wonders how someone knew to send them…
6:32 PM <sila> (w) “Jacinta, you want to take credit for this one?”
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta answers the door. “Hey, Marco!”
6:32 PM * Sila sighs
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “Good evening, Jacinta. I’m surprised to see you here…”
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “I guess you came to meet with Pedro? I mean… His Excellency the President?”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Yup!”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “…are the American mages with you? We really need their help…”
6:35 PM <sila> “I don’t suppose anyone told you guys how they knew we’d be here?”
6:35 PM <ellie> ((You’re talking while invisible?))
6:35 PM * Sila doesn’t become visible just yet though :P
6:35 PM * Ellie telepathies to those she’s got invisible to maneuver around a corner so she can drop invisibility.
6:36 PM <rkcgm> The officer looks around. “I guess that’s them? Invisible? The President called and said to check this place for you.”
6:36 PM * Havrasti does so
6:36 PM * Ellie drops invisibilty; no point now.
6:36 PM <sila> “Well. I don’t suppose we’ll find out how he knew any faster than by going to meet him.”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “I have several jeeps ready for your use.”
6:37 PM * Sila goes over to become visible next to the others
6:37 PM <sila> “You gave us a bit of a scare with that, actually.”
6:38 PM <ellie> “But we did come to meet with Pedro, so… no point in delay, really.”
6:39 PM <havrasti> “Let’s go.”
6:39 PM <sila> “Technically we came to make sure the dragon-slayer mages were accounted for…would that be what you need our help with?”
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “I apologize for the scare.”
6:39 PM * Sila gets in a jeep while she talks
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “…yes, of a sort.”
6:40 PM * Ellie makes sure she ends up in the same jeep as Llewelyn.
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta gets in the first jeep (with Havrasti and Sila, and the officer ‘Marco’); Llewelyn and Ellie get in the second jeep with a polite but unspeaking driver.
6:42 PM * Ellie asks Llewelyn, telepathically – /Any guesses how they knew when and where to find us?/
6:42 PM <rkcgm> The small convoy quickly drives to a building you don’t recognize.
6:43 PM * Sila doesn’t recognize many Cuban buildings so this is less than shocking :P
6:43 PM <llewelyn>: <no>
6:44 PM <sila> “Lead the way, ah, Marco was it?”
6:44 PM <rkcgm> The only real odd thing is that there’s a pair of tanks parked out in front of the building.
6:44 PM * Ellie replies, /I suppose that’s as likely an explanation as any. I guess we’ll have to ask him./
6:44 PM <rkcgm> The drivers hop out and open doors for you.
6:44 PM <rkcgm> Officer: “Yes ma’am. Please, follow me.”
6:45 PM * Havrasti helps Sila out and follows the officer, eeping alert just in case
6:45 PM * Ellie does another telepathy scan, checking for any sign of subterfuge or betrayal…. just in case.
6:45 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie: none is apparent.))
6:46 PM * Sila follows, trying to suppress…well, /outward signs/ of paranoia, anyway.
6:46 PM * Ellie telepathies to the others what her scan found. It has put her at least a tad more at ease…
6:48 PM <rkcgm> Inside the building, you are shown into an office where you find Pedro, dressed in a nice suit, talking in Spanish with one general and a bunch of political-looking types.
6:49 PM <sila> “Hola.”
6:50 PM <rkcgm> Pedro looks up. “Aha! So it was you! I’m so glad you’ve returned, my friends!”
6:50 PM <sila> “What was us?”
6:51 PM <ellie> “I take it that statement refers to how you knew we’d come when and where we did?”
6:51 PM * Ellie telepathies to him, /Also, how freely can we talk here?/
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Of course, of course. But first, let me introduce my inner circle – Jacinta, I believe you know these gentlemen, yes? But you haven’t meet General Ramos, yet.”
6:54 PM <rkcgm> The army general stands and smiles, greeting Jacinta and then the rest of you. “You four are the ones I… ‘skype’ with, yesterday?”
6:55 PM <sila> “Me mostly. Feel free to forget that ever happened, someone told our superiors we technically didn’t do anything to actively help you and I’m not sure that would stand up to a scrutiny of the wrong skype log.”
6:56 PM <rkcgm> The General laughs. “Ah, the stink your president made? Very well, consider it forgotten.”
6:57 PM <sila> “Thanks.”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “All of these gentlemen are well aware of the full extent of the issues we faced yesterday; we can talk freely.”
6:57 PM * Ellie nods.
6:58 PM <sila> “Great – so lets talk about how our sudden and unintended disappearance left several rather murderous mages unattended in the plaza…”
6:58 PM <sila> “That seems like it might be urgent.”
6:59 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos chuckles. “My men took most of them into custody. That earth-moving warlock, he put the Marti Memorial back the way he found it. However, one of the others has proven to be rather difficult to work with, and one slipped my grasp.”
7:00 PM <ellie> “Difficult how? And was that the one that escaped, or was it a different one?”
7:01 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “Different one.”
7:03 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “The one who escaped… we are having some difficulty catching him. By which I mean overtaking. As of the most recent sighting, he was being carried by the seat of his trousers through Matanzas… by a stone horseman statue, which matches the description of the one missing from the Marti Monument.”
7:03 PM <llewelyn>: “…oops.”
7:03 PM <ellie> “Oh. For all we know, he likely rather wishes you /would/ catch him…”
7:04 PM <sila> “It did get him off the battlefield efficiently.”
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “A hundred kilometers away from the battlefield, yes.”
7:05 PM * Havrasti breaks out in laughter
7:05 PM <sila> “I’m sure Llewelyn wasn’t expecting to give the thing a full day to run.”
7:07 PM <sila> “Llewelyn, can you maybe make it run back here with him, so the statue won’t be too far from where it belongs when you disenchant it?”
7:07 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ll put that on my to-do list.”
7:08 PM <havrasti> “So who is the difficult one, then?”
7:08 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “The one who’s given us trouble is actually the girl. When we found her afterward, she appeared to be choking to death on her helmet strap, and one of my men removed it. When she woke up again, she made an invisible bubble around herself, and we can’t get in.”
7:08 PM <sila> “Ah. Hence the choking, you understand.”
7:09 PM * Ellie mumbles, “Shouldn’t have been choking to death. Was just supposed to keep her unconscious…”
7:09 PM <sila> ((keyword being “appeared,” yes))
7:09 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “Presumably. But my men didn’t know that.”
7:10 PM <sila> “Have you tried talking to her? It seems improbable, but we did manage to talk down the sniper team, so stranger things have happened.”
7:10 PM <ellie> “What’s the nature of this bubble? Is it just that you can’t touch her, or can’t talk to her, or…? And where do you have her?”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “Downstairs.”
7:12 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “Come, I’ll show you.”
7:12 PM <ellie> “Okay.”
7:13 PM * Havrasti comes along
7:14 PM <sila> “I’m still interested in how you knew where we’d be when. You’re not scrying on us are you?”
7:14 PM <rkcgm> Ramos and Pedro lead you down into the lower level… which appears to be slightly prison-like, but not exactly. Definitely a cold war nuclear bunker vibe. In the middle of one of the rooms, you find ‘Shieldmaiden’ floating in the middle of a bubble of magic force, itself sorta floating in the air.
7:15 PM <sila> “Hello.”
7:15 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Oh, that – one of the teams of hunters had some sort of sensing device attached to an iPad; it detected echoes of magic use. I figured that you’d be showing up sooner or later, so we monitored it.”
7:16 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden sits in her bubble and stares blankly. She looks tired and hungry.
7:16 PM * Ellie tries to contact Shieldmaiden through telepathy, /If they could have spoken with you, I’m sure they would have offered to feed you by now./
7:17 PM <sila> “Aaaaah. I’d love to see it if we have a chance. Meanwhile…I’m guessing she hasn’t had much sleep since her helmet came off?”
7:17 PM <rkcgm> Ramos shakes his head.
7:18 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden twitches at the telepathic contact, and glances around.
7:18 PM <sila> “Is sound getting through, as far as you can tell?”
7:19 PM * Ellie waves. /That was me. I know we just faced off as enemies, but it was only because we needed to neutralize your party to protect the crowd and our charge from harm. We don’t mean you ill./
7:20 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden stirs inside her bubble; says something, but no sound comes out.
7:20 PM <sila> “…ah, I suppose that answers that.”
7:20 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden then pauses, stops talking, and communicates back with Ellie: <who>
7:21 PM * Ellie replies, /My name is Ellie. My team and I are from the United States. Who are you?/
7:22 PM <sila> “I’m guessing Ellie is talking with her. As a backup, though, I’ll go ahead and point out that she rendered her unconcsious before because that caused all her shields to fail; so this can’t last longer than she can stay awake.”
7:23 PM <rkcgm> Shieldmaiden:
7:23 PM * Ellie hears Sila mention her talking, and makes a slight thumbs up motion.
7:24 PM * Ellie then answers, /Vasilisa. Good to speak with you. I’m sorry things couldn’t be settled more amicably yesterday. Are you hungry? I can have food brought for you./
7:24 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: <starving.>
7:25 PM * Ellie says aloud, “Could we maybe get a meal for her? She’s quite hungry. And we might be able to talk further after that.”
7:26 PM <rkcgm> Pedro nods. “We’ve had food here for a few hours, now.”
7:26 PM <sila> “She’s going to give herself a concussion if she falls asleep and loses her spells in /that/ position.”
7:26 PM <rkcgm> ((There are a bunch of bananas on a nearby table, plus water.))
7:27 PM <ellie> “Hm. Much as I hate to be unreasonable, I wonder if a hot meal wouldn’t be possible? It might be more tempting. Though I’ll see if I can get her to go for what you have here now.”
7:28 PM * Ellie telepathies back to Valisia, /So I take it you’re keeping that shield up despite the food they have here for you because you don’t feel you can trust them enough to eat safely?/
7:28 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: <what>
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: <rkcgm> Vasilisa (panicked-sounding thought): <it>
7:31 PM * Ellie replies, /I don’t suppose you’d trust me far enough to let it down entirely, would you? They really do have food here for you, and I promise we don’t intend to harm you./
7:32 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: <i…>
7:33 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: <it><rkcgm> Vasilisa (from corner, lowered voice): “Hi Ellie, zdravstvuyte.”
7:42 PM <havrasti> (how old does she seem to be?)
7:42 PM * Ellie asks, “You’re Russian, then?”
7:42 PM <rkcgm> ((In her 20s or 30s.))
7:42 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Um, a little bit, I suppose.”
7:43 PM <llewelyn>: “She’s elvish.”
7:43 PM <ellie> “Aaah.”
7:43 PM <ellie> “I am, partly, as well.”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Oh?”
7:45 PM * Ellie nods. “Half. And half human.”
7:45 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Okeh.”
7:46 PM <havrasti> “LLewelyn is full elvish.”
7:46 PM * Ellie was not going to reveal anyone’s heritage other than her own… :-p
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa glances at Llewelyn and then nods.
7:46 PM <havrasti> (Well Havrasti is blunt and uncharismatic :P)
7:47 PM <ellie> (But that’s not charisma; that’s discretion :-p)
7:47 PM <ellie> “So. You’ve been working for the Georgian Safari Club. May I ask why?”
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa shrugs, finishes off the banana, and appears to get a little bit of her color back. “It’s a cause I can believe in, protecting people from the monsters that live beyond the edge of the maps. And anyway, they kept me from being sold.”
7:52 PM <ellie> “Hm. When and where were you going to be sold?”
7:52 PM <ellie> “If I might be so bold as to ask.”
7:55 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa pauses. “Came over ten years ago; my parents from Starmarch, died there. Steel Rose got many of us away. I got separated from the rest, went to orphanage in Russia. When I turned seventeen, tried to go out on my own. Bad idea.”
7:56 PM * Ellie nods. She keeps her mouth shut, for the time being, about her relation to Steel Rose. Maybe later… ;-)
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Some zlodei put me on a container ship for Thailand. Most of the girls with me ended up going to… other places. The Club got a few of us out, offered us jobs, ty ponimayesh’ menya?”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> ((i.e. ‘do you understand me?’))
7:59 PM <ellie> “I follow your story, yes.”
8:00 PM <sila> “I’m actually kind of confused. Are you saying the club bought you?”
8:00 PM <ellie> “I took it more as a rescue; am I correct?”
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Yes, rescue. Safari Club shot up the docks and killed the dragon that ran the people-slaving ring.”
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “This was ten years ago.”
8:01 PM <ellie> “Aaah. Which would explain why you consider dragons to be among the monsters worth fighting.”
8:04 PM <havrasti> (hmm, didn’t we hear something about that?)
8:04 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa eyes Pedro, who has been standing quietly in the back of the room. “If they’re monsters, yes. Haven’t seen any who aren’t… but haven’t seen many at all.”
8:04 PM <ellie> “I think you’ve seen some who aren’t, but maybe have not understood them.”
8:04 PM <ellie> “I don’t speak of the one trying to sell you, of course. But then… humans also try to sell one another; does that make us all monsters?”
8:04 PM <havrasti> “Dragons are people, same as humans or elves, there’s good and bad.”
8:07 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa shrugs. “I understand. Only ever seen two dragons… three now, in real life. I don’t know about third one. Other two were monsters.”
8:07 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Elves can be evil too. I saw.”
8:08 PM <ellie> “So you know the general principle applies – evil is not determined by species, but by the individual.”
8:09 PM <sila> “We even encountered some giants a while back who seemed to be not-evil.”
8:09 PM <rkcgm> Vsailisa laughs. “Pull other one, has bells on it.”
8:09 PM <sila> “No really.”
8:10 PM <ellie> “It’s true. We helped one who had been sold into slavery to goblins. And no, she was not evil.”
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “…huh. I take word for it.”
8:11 PM <sila> “I was thinking of the ones in Las Vegas, actually. So that makes three.”
8:11 PM <rkcgm> ((brb))
8:11 PM <ellie> “Mmm. I’m not as sure about the ones in Las Vegas. But… we’ll let that one go.”
8:15 PM <ellie> “So, you worked for the Safari club because they rescued you and you believed them to be protecting the world from something dangerous. Understandable. But… to the best we could determine, they were leading you to indiscriminately hunt down dragons despite the fact that not all dragons /are/ dangerous or deserving of the death the club would have given them. What do we do with this?”
8:16 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Indescriminate?”
8:17 PM <ellie> “From what we read of their procedures, yes. Pretty indiscriminate.”
8:17 PM <sila> “Do you know that word, Vasilisa?”
8:17 PM <ellie> “They even considered killing bystanders acceptable in pursuit of a dragon’s death…”
8:17 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Lockwood says it a lot. I’m not sure it means what he thinks it means.”
8:19 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “That always last resort, though, to keep from more people being hurt.”
8:19 PM <ellie> “In this case, it means that they sought the death of dragons without questioning whether those dragons had actually done anything wrong – it was presumed they had, because they were dragons.”
8:20 PM <ellie> “That’s what I meant by indiscriminate, and it seemed to be a fitting description of the Club’s policy.”
8:21 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Final call was always up to the boss.”
8:22 PM <ellie> “Did he ever call for anything other than the dragon’s death?”
8:24 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Sure. Senior guy when I joined canceled two operations because the drakons weren’t threats.”
8:25 PM <havrasti> “Hmm, interesting.”
8:25 PM <sila> “I gather that was not Lockwood then?”
8:26 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “No, it was Richard Taylor-Jones. He died last year.”
8:27 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Lockwood next in seniority, but he’s not very well liked. A few people have left.”
8:28 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. Yes. From what we saw of him, I can see why.”
8:29 PM <sila> “Did he tell you at all, that the Cubans tried to call off the hunt?”
8:30 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “What? No. Why?”
8:31 PM <sila> “Because Pedro was only a political threat, not a rampaging monster.”
8:32 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Hm.”
8:33 PM <ellie> “In fact, Lockwood would have done far more harm to that crowd than Pedro.”
8:33 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Then fight was pointless…”
8:34 PM <ellie> “No, it wasn’t – we had to fight your team the way we did to keep Lockwood from doing that harm. He would not have stood down.”
8:34 PM <sila> “Obviously, since they asked him to stand down and he refused. I heard it myself.”
8:35 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “…rest of my team, anyone else die?”
8:35 PM <havrasti> “I think only Lockwood himself.”
8:35 PM <ellie> “We tried to use non-lethal measures wherever we could.”
8:36 PM <ellie> “And Lockwood’s death was his own doing.”
8:36 PM <sila> “Lockwood irradiated some people, not sure how they’re doing.”
8:36 PM <ellie> “When he found he was losing, he set off the explosion that killed him, hoping to take as many others with him as he could.”
8:36 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Too bad, I want to punch him in nose. Stupid man! He… radiate? WHAT.”
8:37 PM * Ellie telepathically gives the idea of a nuclear explosion.
8:37 PM <havrasti> “He tried to make a magical nuke. Sila stopped it.”
8:38 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa looks shocked and starts ranting in a really weird mix of Russian and Russianized Elvish. We shall bleep out about half of her rant.
8:39 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa turns to Pedro. “Not my idea! I only do shields, not magic nuke. Very sorry, very embarrassed.”
8:41 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Apology accepted… since it all came out okay. I’d have been a little less forgiving if he’d actually succeeded at nuking Havana. Or killing me.”
8:43 PM * Ellie looks to Pedro. “So then… what comes next for Vasilisa? We did subdue her, but we weren’t here to take her into custody, so I’m not even sure where that falls.”
8:44 PM <sila> “We just wanted to be sure there wasn’t anyone running around still looking for dragons to kill.”
8:45 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “I’m not sure where we stand, either. We arrested the whole group, but only one of them is a Cuban national. The rest are Europeans, Russians, a few Americans, I think.”
8:45 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “If it comes out we arrested foreign nationals… well, aaaawkwaaaard…”
8:46 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos: “A week ago we could have made them disappear.”
8:46 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “But we’re not going to do that now, are we?”
8:47 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos: “Democrats! Always doing things the hard way…”
8:47 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “The RIGHT way.”
8:47 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos shrugs and grins.
8:48 PM <sila> “I suppose we could take the Americans back with us. That’d probably make the bosses happier.”
8:50 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Do you think DEAR could reform them?”
8:50 PM <ellie> “I think many in this organization seem to have had good intentions that were mislead by their superiors, to be honest.”
8:51 PM <sila> “We can try, at least. Better us than people they’d see as foreigners.”
8:51 PM <llewelyn> looks at Vasilisa. “Now that Lockwood’s dead, who would be in charge?”
8:52 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Enzo, if he’s alive. Lockwood sent him on mission to Miami.”
8:52 PM <havrasti> (is he the one we still have?)
8:52 PM <sila> “Was he the shorter one or the taller one?”
8:53 PM <llewelyn>: “He was the guy we captured, yes.”
8:55 PM <llewelyn> taps his foot. “Crazy idea – we could turn over the whole lot of them and resettle them in Brennin.”
8:56 PM <havrasti> “In Brennin?”
8:56 PM <sila> “Well, if they agreed to it.”
8:56 PM <llewelyn>: “In Brennin.”
8:56 PM <ellie> “Well.. I mean, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t cross my mom…”
8:56 PM <sila> "And by “they” I mean both Brennin and the … club."
8:56 PM <llewelyn>: “You’d better believe they wouldn’t cross your mom.”
8:57 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “…er, Ellie, who is your mom and why scary to double-cross?”
8:59 PM <ellie> “Um, well. I mean, I don’t think she’s scary. But she is an Ilfirin. Also… you may recognize my mom’s name: she’s Golden Rose, the Steel Rose’s sister.”
9:00 PM <sila> “Brennin is a tiny little pocket-world. As far as we know there aren’t any dragons in residence – though my family might visit occasionally.”
9:00 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “OH! Not know name Golden Rose, but Steel Rose… you niece of Steel Rose! Very grateful, save life fifteen years ago! In great debt!”
9:01 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Pocket world, like base camp?”
9:01 PM * Ellie looks a little embarrassed. “Yeah. I’ve met my aunt a couple of times; I am proud to be her niece, certainly. She’s pretty amazing.”
9:01 PM <ellie> “Yeah, that’s exactly what it is. A bit bigger than your base camp.”
9:02 PM <sila> “Bigger than that one, but same idea. Golden Rose is in charge of this one.”
9:02 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “What English say… ‘cool!’”
9:02 PM * Ellie laughs a bit. "Yeah, that works. :-)
9:06 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Well, that’s settled, then. All of the dragonhunters are turned over to your custody.”
9:06 PM <sila> “We can work with that. Enzo should be happy with us, anyway.”
9:07 PM <llewelyn>: “No kidding.”
9:09 PM <rkcgm> A Cuban soldier pokes his nose into the room. “General Ramos? Mr. President? Our… plaza statue returned, but it was empty-handed.” He holds up a pair of camo pants. “Well, except for these.”
9:09 PM <sila> “Figures.”
9:09 PM <havrasti> “Uh oh.”
9:10 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa squints at the pants. “Are those… Graham’s pants?”
9:11 PM <havrasti> “Familiar to you?”
9:11 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Ryan Graham, had two mage-guns?”
9:12 PM <ellie> “Yes, sounds right.”
9:12 PM <sila> "Ah, the guy who couldn’t stop with the “leet speak”
9:13 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “If I see him, I will punch him in nose for you. And for me, too.”
9:14 PM <ellie> “Oh? What’s the deal with him? We couldn’t tell much except that he was fighting with annoyingly dangerous weaponry…”
9:16 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa: “Very annoying. Always, what is words? Trying to flirt with me.”
9:16 PM <ellie> “Oh dear. Yeah, that can be annoying.”
9:16 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa makes a face that demonstrates exactly how icky she thinks this is.
9:17 PM * Ellie giggles a bit. “We’ll try and make sure you two end up separated somehow…”
9:17 PM <llewelyn>: “Moon launch.”
9:17 PM * Ellie snerks
9:18 PM <havrasti> “Or possibly a deep sea exploration, depending on when and where he got out of those pants.”
9:20 PM <rkcgm> ((I tire. We end now. Pick up later…))
9:20 PM <ellie> "Well, it sounds like we know the next thing on our list, at any rate.
9:20 PM <ellie> “We have a search to make.”
9:21 PM <havrasti> ((fair enough, is late))
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:51 PM <rkcgm> ((I was finishing up a typing thing.))
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Last week, you returned to Cuba after the end of the battle, and helped deal with the remaining Georgian Safari Club members.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> The GSC mages include:
4:51 PM <rkcgm> – Vasilisa Orlova aka ‘Shieldmaiden’: an elvish female who grew up Russian. Her specialty is shielding people with magic (no other known abilities).
4:51 PM <rkcgm> – Dietmar Koch: a human male of German nationality; he was the group’s sole healer.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> – Platon Giannopoulos aka ‘Ox-Bellow Man’: a human male of Greek origin. After taking injuries, he becomes pretty much immune to magic and further harm for a period of time (3 combat rounds).
4:51 PM <rkcgm> – Jusso Laukkanen aka ‘Earthmover’: a human male of Finnish origin: he could reshape stone / cement / etc.
4:52 PM <sila> (appendix to Vasilisa: must avoid putting her in the same location as the one that got away, should he be apprehended, as she wishes to punch him :P )
4:54 PM <rkcgm> Missing from the group, however, is Leetspeek Two-Gun Ryan Graham, aka Mage-gunner, who is missing his weapons, his dignity, and his pants.
4:54 PM <rkcgm> He may be slightly upset. He may also be hunted by the Cuban Secret Police.
4:55 PM <rkcgm> Pedro Iglesias has become president of Cuba and overthrown the Communists.
4:55 PM <rkcgm> For some people this is good. For other people, it is bad.
4:56 PM <havrasti> (and most likely, we are content that those other people think it is bad :P )
4:59 PM <rkcgm> ((aaaand… go?))
5:00 PM <havrasti> ((oh, where are we now? how’s around?))
5:00 PM <sila> ((last I remember we were taking people back to DEAR for holding until we could contact Brenin?))
5:00 PM <rkcgm> ((That’s what I remember, yes.))
5:02 PM <ellie> ((We don’t need to hunt down the missing guy?))
5:03 PM <rkcgm> ((You can try if you want.))
5:03 PM <sila> ((Cuba’s taking care of that I think? Llewelyn having restored their statue to it’s original state.))
5:03 PM <havrasti> (eh, the Cuban’s are after him and he doesn’t have his guns anymore, so they can probably handle him just fine)
5:04 PM <ellie> ((Well, Ellie will be following along with whatever. For some reason I thought that was where we were supposed to go next. But if not…))
5:05 PM <sila> ((I /think/ next is where Ellie calls her mom and asks her if she wants some new citizens))
5:05 PM <ellie> ((Okay.))
5:06 PM <ellie> Before we take the prisoner mages out of Cuba, Ellie gives her mom a call, explains the situation, and asks if the mages might be given citizenship – or at least asylum/custody – in Brennin.
5:06 PM <ellie> “Hi, Mom…”
5:08 PM <rkcgm> Laure: “Hello, Etthelewyn.”
5:08 PM * Ellie explains things. “So, what do you think?”
5:10 PM <rkcgm> Laure: “I think that sounds just fine. Your dad and I are actually in Brennin right now, as a matter of fact. Why don’t I open a door for you to bring them to Haddow Tower?”
5:10 PM <ellie> “Oooh! That could be helpful. Let me just ask permission first.”
5:10 PM <ellie> Ellie asks Pedro if the door would be okay.
5:11 PM <rkcgm> Pedro nods. “If it gets them off our hands, and it is closed afterward.”
5:12 PM * Ellie tells her mom to go ahead.
5:13 PM <havrasti> “That’s definitely convenient.”
5:14 PM * Ellie grins. “She’s a handy mom to have around, isn’t she?”
5:14 PM <havrasti> “And if she’s not around, she can be quickly.”
5:15 PM <llewelyn> nods, although he remains quiet.
5:16 PM <sila> “As long as communications hold up.”
5:16 PM * Ellie waits for her mom to open the door, though as soon as it opens and her mom is visible on the other side, she’s going to be jogging over to give her a hug. ;-)
5:17 PM <rkcgm> Laure very quickly opens one of the doors in the temporary Cuban presidential palace. While this clearly makes the General a bit nervous, he’s clearly following Pedro’s lead.
5:19 PM * Ellie is oblivious to nervousness as she’s happy getting her hug. Unprofessional? Sure. Does she care? Ha! :-p
5:20 PM <sila> (quietly to the general) “Just remember, it’s only a /problem/ if you make her an /enemy/ – otherwise it’s an ally with a convenient ability, hm?”
5:20 PM <ellie> Ellie’s whole thing about her mom being scary enough for both of them – right there. ;-)
5:21 PM <rkcgm> General: “I suppose that’s true, and there would be plenty of fascinating military applications… just think of what a hostage rescue team could do with the ability to take a door anywhere.”
5:22 PM <sila> “Yeah, but the fact that only the one person can do it limits things quite a bit.”
5:25 PM * Ellie turns from hugging her mom to introducing her to Valisia, since she’s right there. She mentions the fact that Valisia was rescued by Steel Rose.
5:25 PM <havrasti> “Hello Laure.”
5:26 PM <rkcgm> Vasilisa would be fangirling, but she’s too awestruck to do much beyond stammering something in Russian.
5:26 PM <ellie> ((Does Ellie understand the intent?))
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Laure responds to Vasilisa (in Russian?) in a kindly voice, telling her that she’s very welcome.
5:31 PM * Ellie then introduces Laure to Pedro, including the fact that he’s now president of cuba
5:32 PM <rkcgm> Laure: “I saw that on CNN. My congratulations to you, Your Excellency. May your administration be prosperous and wise.”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos: “We could do with some of both of those.”
5:33 PM <sila> “Especially the wise, prosperity being a frequent byproduct thereof.”
5:34 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos nods.
5:34 PM <havrasti> “Shall we get the other prisoners now?”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> Ramos: “Let us do so at once.”
5:36 PM * Ellie sees her dad on the other side of the door, and goes to give him a hug as well. “Hi dad.”
5:37 PM * Sila waves
5:37 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “Evening, Ellie! What’ve you been up to?”
5:38 PM <ellie> “Oh, work. You know.” Ellie grins.
5:38 PM <ellie> “How about you guys?”
5:42 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “Oh, you know. The Brennin folk just like to see ‘her ladyship’ every so often, particularly if she can make a bit of magic to amuse the kids. Also, we had to hunt down a Powrie that kept trying to kill some farmers.”
5:42 PM <havrasti> (What is a powrie?)
5:42 PM <ellie> “Aaah! Yeah. Well… glad you got it.”
5:43 PM <llewelyn>: “What’s a Powrie? I’ve never heard of that before.”
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “Oh… uh…” (He gets out his phone.) “I know I looked it up somewhere… what was the other name for it… oh yes. A redcap.”
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Cal holds out his phone. “Siri, what is a Redcap?”
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Siri: “A red cap or redcap, also known as a powrie or dunter, is a type of malevolent, murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore…”
5:46 PM <ellie> “Aaaah. So you got to have some excitement, then. Yeah… we’ve had some of that, too. We’ll have stories to tell…”
5:46 PM <ellie> “But probably later, come to think of it.”
5:46 PM <havrasti> “Ah, did you catch it?”
5:47 PM * Ellie decides in time that it wouldn’t do to bring up too much talk of time travel in too-mixed company.
5:48 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “We did, actually. The guards captain had to shoot it, though.”
5:48 PM <sila> “Dead or just wounded?”
5:50 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “It was pretty dead.”
5:50 PM <sila> “Unpleasant business then. Sorry to hear it.”
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “Imprisonment would have killed it just as soon as anything else. They only survive so long as their hats remain moist with the blood of people they’ve murdered. So there’s that.”
5:53 PM <ellie> “…Yeah. Um. Unpleasant business.”
5:53 PM <rkcgm> Cal shrugs.
5:54 PM <havrasti> “Not really something to be diplomatic with.”
5:54 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “So where’s this door go, anyway? There’s more humidity out there than the last time I was in Hawaii.”
5:54 PM <havrasti> “Cuba.”
5:54 PM <havrasti> “Didn’t you see the news?”
5:57 PM <sila> “There’s been a coup. The prez is being all ridiculous about it, but we’re hopeful that it will result in a more pleasant neighbor.”
5:59 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “Oh, that was you? Fantastic!”
6:00 PM <havrasti> “Technically, only somewhat, interferring with the interferrers.”
6:00 PM <rkcgm> Cal glances at Llewelyn and gives him the hairy eyeball. “And just WHAT do you think you’re doing, taking my daughter, my one and only daughter, into the middle of a political coup?”
6:01 PM <sila> “We didn’t exactly help the coup, but we did get in the way of some dragon-slayers who wanted to kill Pedro.”
6:01 PM <sila> “And he too us dragons, so why not a healer?”
6:01 PM <llewelyn>: “America saves the day, don’t you know?”
6:01 PM <rkcgm> Cal laughs at Llewelyn’s comeback. “Well played.”
6:04 PM <ellie> “In fairness, the dragon-slayers really were the more dangerous part of the deal…”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “…aaaand Daddy’s worried, now. Please stop making me worried.” He sticks his tongue out at Ellie.
6:06 PM <ellie> “Why do you think I opened with, ‘Oh, just working’?” Ellie returns the tongue-sticking. ;-)
6:07 PM <havrasti> “It’s not an office job, you knew.”
6:08 PM <rkcgm> Cal: “La la la la! Not going protective! Not going protective! She’s a big girl! La! La! La!”
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Laure returns to the room. “I made these dragonhunters an offer they could not refuse. Fortunately, none of them refused it.”
6:11 PM * Ellie snerks and hugs her father. “Heh. Still here, right?”
6:11 PM <ellie> She then looks to her mom. “Yay! Llewelyn was the one who suggested Brennin for them, but once he did, I figured you’d be able to work things out with them.”
6:13 PM <havrasti> “Glad things worked out, which I suppose means we’re done here.”
6:13 PM <rkcgm> Laure: “Of course. I’ll be able to channel their expertise and energies into hunting some of the monsters that still live in the walls – rather than just hunting dragons.”
6:14 PM <ellie> “There’s one more of them who’s kinda on the loose, but the Cuban police are looking for him. Can they contact you if they catch him and find him possibly suitable for Brennin, too?”
6:14 PM <havrasti> “That would be good.”
6:14 PM <rkcgm> Laure: “Of course.”
6:15 PM * Ellie ensures that the Cubans have a way of getting ahold of Laure.
6:18 PM <ellie> “So, is there anything more you need from us, Mr. President?” Ellie asks Pedro.
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “A zero percent interest billion-dollar foreign development loan?”
6:20 PM <havrasti> “A bit out of our paygrade.”
6:20 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos laughs.
6:20 PM <sila> “Heh, good luck with that all.”
6:21 PM <ellie> “I did specify ‘from us,’” Ellie grins.
6:21 PM <ellie> “I’m not sure who you think we are that you think we could give you that.”
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “Thank you. We have a lot of important work to do; but you shall all be very welcome in Cuba.”
6:24 PM <rkcgm> Ellie’s parents wait until all of the GSC members have filed through the door, and then wave. Ellie’s mom closes the door behind her, and it reverts to a regular doorway.
6:25 PM * Sila wonders if this might be a good place for a little private investing in the nearish future…depending on both the Cuban markets and on how well her current investment in biotech goes…
6:25 PM <sila> ((there’s more than one way to build a hoard!))
6:25 PM <havrasti> ((fingers in alll the pies!!))
6:27 PM <llewelyn>: “So… I want to go back and collect my car; then we probably ought to get back. After all, I’m sure Sila wants to see her parents again, please note I have adjusted the term to the plural. And Sam should be flying in from Montreal in a few hours.”
6:28 PM <ellie> “Yep, sounds like things are wrapped up here, anyway.”
6:28 PM <ellie> “Was there anything more we needed to report to Douglas?”
6:28 PM <havrasti> “Mmhmm, need a bit of R&R for a proper celebration.”
6:29 PM <sila> “Well we need to report the disposition of the prisoners of course, and I need to unbind the portal. I’m sure the Cubans don’t want an unregulated portal left in the back of some random bar.”
6:29 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t believe so. If there is, I’ll take care of it in my report.”
6:30 PM <ellie> “Okay, then. Let’s get the car, get the portal, and get home.”
6:31 PM <havrasti> ((time skip?))
6:33 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos is listening to a report from an aide. “Is this car… uh, a Cadillac Series 62 Coupe? Cause one just drove up in front with a stuffed teddy-bear driving it.”
6:33 PM <llewelyn>: “Yup, that’s mine. The car, that is. Not the teddy bear.”
6:34 PM <havrasti> “…What’s the teddy bear?”
6:35 PM <llewelyn>: “A handy subcontractor.”
6:35 PM <havrasti> “/When/ did you animate the bear?”
6:35 PM <llewelyn>: “About half an hour ago.”
6:37 PM <ellie> “Are you saying you animated a bear that /wasn’t/ yours?”
6:39 PM <llewelyn>: “Ooh. That… that’s awkward.”
6:39 PM <llewelyn>: “I can fix that.”
6:39 PM <sila> “By de-animating the bear, or purchasing it?”
6:39 PM <ellie> “…Where did you /pick up/ this bear that wasn’t yours, anyway?”
6:40 PM <llewelyn> heads outside and finds the car, where the bear is holding the passenger side door open for Ellie, like a little doorman.
6:40 PM <llewelyn>: “I can fix this! I can fix this. Shh.”
6:40 PM <llewelyn> waves a hand commandingly toward the bear.
6:41 PM <rkcgm> The bear bows, and when it straightens up again, it’s wearing a ninja mask.
6:41 PM <havrasti> “…”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> …and disappears under the car.
6:42 PM * Ellie covers her mouth with her hand, probably hiding a smirk.
6:42 PM <ellie> “So… /how/ exactly have you fixed this?”
6:42 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s going to ninja-sneak back to find its last owner.”
6:43 PM <ellie> “And will it de-animate when it finds its last owner?”
6:43 PM <llewelyn>: “Heavens, I hope so.”
6:43 PM <ellie> “…”
6:43 PM <ellie> “Did you not /tell/ it to?”
6:44 PM <llewelyn>: “If not… man, kids these days get the best toys.”
6:44 PM <llewelyn> grins at Ellie.
6:44 PM <havrasti> “Is this a subtle attempt to shatter the illusion there’s no magic in the world?”
6:44 PM * Ellie rolls her eyes.
6:44 PM * Havrasti is holding back a laugh as he says that
6:45 PM <sila> "As long as the thing is a /good/ ninja, it’ll mostly just get the kid a reputation as very imaginative I guess? Though that leading “if” remains to be proven."
6:45 PM <llewelyn> holds open the door for Ellie. “So, portals.”
6:45 PM <sila> “Yeah…where do you want me to make the car-sized one?”
6:46 PM <ellie> “…Yes. Portals.” Ellie’s tone is still a bit wry.
6:46 PM * Sila asks General Ramos that, not Llewelyn.
6:46 PM <ellie> But she goes through the door Llewelyn is holding.
6:46 PM * Havrasti has a sudden thought, “So, Llewelyn…were you at all involved with the creation of Calvin & Hobbes?”
6:48 PM <llewelyn>: “I’m sure I have no idea, Havrasti.”
6:48 PM <sila> “No idea? No idea implies possible.”
6:48 PM <rkcgm> General Ramos: “I think you can make a portal wherever you please, Mrs Dvorak. Just not in the middle of some main boulevard.”
6:49 PM <sila> “OK then. Let’s find the nearest parking garage.”
6:51 PM <llewelyn> has to drive around a bit before he actually finds something that appears to be an actual parking garage.
6:52 PM * Sila makes a portal in one of the parking spaces when nobody is looking, so Llewelyn can drive straight through into the DEAR garage.
6:54 PM <llewelyn> drives through without any problems.
6:55 PM <havrasti> “DEAR, we’re home.”
6:55 PM * Sila goes to the DEAR side of the personnel portal and unweaves it.
6:55 PM <sila> “There, all clear.”
6:56 PM <llewelyn>: “Well… time to write an official report.”
6:57 PM <havrasti> “Yep, moments of excitement and terror, periods of bordom. That’s this job.”
6:58 PM <llewelyn>: “I suppose you all want to head back and see if Leto’s awake, yet?”
6:58 PM <sila> “Ah report writing, the fine art of generating document nobody wants to read without making them so unhappy with us the writers that they seek discipline and/or revenge.”
6:58 PM <sila> ((!))
6:59 PM <ellie> Hrm.
6:59 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh, uh.))
6:59 PM <sila> “Well of course we will want to, but it hasn’t been very long. He’s probably still asleep.”
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:51 PM <rkcgm> It’s been a few days since you /did not/ repeat /did not/ (hahaha) assist in the overthrow of the Communist Cuban government and its replacement by a capitalist… dragon.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> These events have been top-fold headlines for the last few days, and no reputable news source has even made a peep about magicians, dragons, or American intervention. (The National Enquirer is not reputable, and therefore doesn’t count. They blamed it all on aliens, anyway.)
4:51 PM <rkcgm> In the aftermath of your Cuba mission, you managed to rescue Sila’s dad, Leto himself, from 1717 years in the past, where he was supposed to die following his duel with the Naratun dragonhunter known as Lockwood.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Over the last three days, Leto has spent an average of twenty-two hours each day sleeping off the after-effects of his (for him, recent) ordeal. Although he is now physically uninjured due to the healing work done on him, Leto is shaky when he is awake, and hasn’t bothered trying to fly yet.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> From observation, Llewelyn speculates that Leto is probably suffering from what he terms an “overdraw” or ‘burn" – he had to use such a large amount of magic in the fight that he has temporarily (or potentially permanently) lost some of his ability to use it at all.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> You heard from the grapevine that the President was still unhappy about DEAR’s involvement in the Cuban Coup, and allegedly vented his irritation on General Archer – which is perhaps fitting, considering that you acted under her orders.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> With this in mind, Douglas instructed that everyone but Llewelyn take some ‘out-of-office’ time; and everyone but Llewelyn returned to Michigan (to keep an eye on Leto). Havrasti, Sila, and Ellie (with a bit of help from Anna and Sam) were all assigned to conduct a comprehensive search of the dragonhunters’ tiny little pocket world.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> After three days of very thorough searching, you found plenty of the GSC’s records which show you a broader understanding of the group’s history and operations.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> One of the weird interesting connections you discovered was that a British member of the Georgian Safari Club, waaay back in the 1920s before Lockwood showed up, left the group and was hired as a butler by Mossymoor, Ellie’s great-grandmother. His name? John Braithwick… who was the father of a former antagonist, Anthony Braithwick.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> Through a more thorough examination of the records, you can confirm that the GSC wasn’t composed entirely from bad apples. Some of them, like the Corti sisters, were well-intentioned extremists on a revenge streak. Others, like Vasilisa and Enzo, thought they were Doing Good.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> On the old membership rolls from the 1910s, there was even an adolescent dragon known as ‘Scout’, who the Club apparently adopted as a mascot and – direct quote – “an experiment to see if dragons could be trained to view humans as partners rather than food.”
4:52 PM <rkcgm> Regrettably, Scout seems to have taken the lessons so much to heart that in 1917, he attacked a German zeppelin bombing Britain – namely by landing on top of the hydrogen envelope and breathing fire upon it. This turned out not to be a very good idea.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> At least that explains the bronze plaque on one of the buildings in the pocket world that reads: “AD MEMORIUMSCOUT – 1908-1917”. (Although under the plaque, someone carved some graffiti into the stones that said ‘next time hold your fire, laddie’.)
4:52 PM <rkcgm> Meanwhile, Llewelyn had to sit in a meeting with Hickory, Douglas, and General Archer, where they all got shouted at by Senator Lu. After three days, Llewelyn finally showed up in Michigan sporting a grumpy attitude.
4:52 PM <rkcgm> He shows up at Havrasti’s property just before dinner with a pack of root beer, some hot dogs, and a 16-ounce can of that poisonous-to-everything-but-dragons-who-think-it’s-tasty-awesome dragon spice.
4:53 PM <llewelyn>: “Hey guys.”
4:53 PM <rkcgm> ((End data-dump :P ))
4:55 PM * Ellie hugs Llewelyn in welcome
4:55 PM <llewelyn>: “Hey Ellie. How’re things going here?”
4:56 PM <ellie> “Pretty well. The search of the GSC world revealed some pretty interesting things. But then, you’ve already heard most of them.”
4:56 PM <ellie> “And we heard your meetings were… less interesting.”
4:56 PM <llewelyn>: “Grrr.”
4:56 PM <sila> “Hi Llewelyn! Hmm, someone has campfires on the mind.”
4:56 PM <sila> "Planning to name a hot dog Lu and prepare it? :P "
4:57 PM <llewelyn>: “Hey Sila. And I figured you’d be camping out down here with Leto, so… ‘elves bearing gifts’?”
4:57 PM <havrasti> “Hmm, acceptable, you shall not be eaten today.”
4:58 PM * Ellie rolls her eyes.
4:58 PM <llewelyn> snorts.
4:58 PM * Havrasti is obviously joking ;)
4:58 PM <ellie> Ellie’s eye-roll is amused. And also kind of snarking back. ;-)
4:58 PM <sila> "Heh, you can join us for Dad’s daily “pretend being awake is normal time.”
4:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Still sleeping if off, huh? Has he talked much?”
4:59 PM <sila> “He and mom have done nothing /but/ talk when he’s awake.”
4:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Oh, good.”
4:59 PM <ellie> “I haven’t heard; has he talked her into hatching nestlings yet?” Ellie is obviously teasing.
5:00 PM <sila> “I think Mom’s up to the 1100s. It’s been fascinating – I’ve never heard such a comprehensive summary of her life, put in order this way.”
5:00 PM <ellie> “Oooh. Have you been recording? Or at least taking notes?”
5:00 PM <havrasti> “So much excitement and adventure.”
5:01 PM <rkcgm> ((Flashback Leto: “Wait, what do you mean the Roman Empire is gone???”))
5:01 PM <sila> “They’ve tabled the nestling discussion until Dad can stay awake 8 hours in a row, by reason that until then she’s too busy nursing her sick husband to also chase hatchlings.”
5:01 PM <ellie> “Heh. Fair enough.”
5:01 PM <sila> “I’m looking forward to it though… I want to see what kind of dad he turns out to be.”
5:02 PM <ellie> “Heh.”
5:02 PM <sila> “Just…you know. I agree about the part where they wait until he’s not crashed out from severe injuries and massive – what’d you call it Llewelyn? Overdraw?”
5:03 PM <llewelyn>: “Burn, overdraw, take your pick.”
5:03 PM <sila> Leto: “I’m burned out like a 12-hour votive after a 24-hour vigil, is what she’s saying. But since I’m awake, come talk about me where I can hear you properly!”
5:04 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s taken me almost thirty years to get back to anywhere close to what I was…”
5:04 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, sure.”
5:04 PM * Ellie looks over to Leto. “Aaah. Hi. Welcome awake again.”
5:04 PM <llewelyn> walks further in, and hoists his can of spice. “I come bearing gifts.”
5:06 PM <sila> Leto sniffs. “Oooh. Is that what I think it is?”
5:06 PM <llewelyn>: “Specially imported, once every two years. Don’t use it all in one go.”
5:07 PM <sila> Maia: “Oh, thank you so much! You have no idea how much I missed it all those years. Though I got some once back in… hm. the 1700s I think. The traders ran afoul of some humans who didn’t know a mage from a demon, though, and then I moved…”
5:08 PM <llewelyn>: “You’re welcome.”
5:09 PM <sila> Leto: “It’s so surreal… ‘back’ in the 1700s she says.”
5:10 PM <ellie> “Well, you can call it ‘back’ there, too – just back through a portal rather than back through that many lived centuries.”
5:11 PM <sila> Leto: “Miss Ellie, do you know how many dragons live to be seven hundred, nevermind seven /teen/ hundred?”
5:11 PM <ellie> “I have no idea. Until I met your family, I never knew any dragons… actually, never knew they existed.”
5:13 PM <llewelyn>: “A few have managed it, and they tend to be of the noteworthy sort.”
5:14 PM <sila> Leto: “They say about half of the population of any given age dies by every 200th year. Sure, most dragons see their 160s, maybe 180s, but by 600 you’re in the minority… I don’t think Maia’s got the longevity record, but most dragons her age are of historical interest to their local nations by then.”
5:15 PM <havrasti> “Except in her case when she’s been deliberately laying low.”
5:15 PM * Ellie nods. "That’s fair enough. And as someone who’s spent most of her life used to human lifespans, I *do
appreciate the remarkability."
5:15 PM <llewelyn>: “Unfortunately, I believe Whiteteeth and his six minions still have the longevity record.”
5:16 PM <sila> Maia: “Even aside from him, I need most of another millenium for the /record/ dear, the record for natural longevity was Sururrrim the Stone.”
5:18 PM <sila> Leto: “Mm. Well I hope you’re planning on it, I want to do the next one /with/ you.”
5:19 PM <sila> Maia and Leto have a little “Awwwww” moment.
5:19 PM <sila> “Aww.” :)
5:19 PM * Ellie grins
5:20 PM <sila> “Um…speaking of whiteteeth, though. I kind of ran into one of his people at the library in the Menhirs’ place.”
5:20 PM <sila> "You seem not to be forgotten there.
5:21 PM <sila> Leto: “You were… /in/ the Library?”
5:21 PM <ellie> “We kinda had to rescue the Menhirs…”
5:21 PM <llewelyn>: “Which was lost for seventeen hundred years.”
5:22 PM <llewelyn>: “Which is a crying shame for ANY library, let alone one of that size.”
5:22 PM <sila> “We brought a copy machine with us!”
5:22 PM <sila> Leto: “Lost for…and…a machine copyist? What?”
5:23 PM <llewelyn>: “Maybe we should let you get up to the 1800s before we explain that concept.”
5:23 PM <havrasti> “Hehehe.”
5:23 PM <havrasti> “So many advances in the sharing of knowledge in the last couple hundred years, dwarfed even more in the last couple decades.”
5:24 PM <sila> Maia: “You won’t believe how much the world changed that century. The humans on this world have really gotten in a habit of change.”
5:24 PM <sila> "Don’t worry, I’m on top of it :D "
5:24 PM * Havrasti is probably not doing anything to help cool down Leto’s curiosity :P ;)
5:25 PM * Ellie is sitting back and watching the “catch up from time travel” show. ;-)
5:25 PM <sila> Leto shakes his head. “Surreal…”
5:26 PM <havrasti> “You haven’t had much opportunity to see much of the world, couped up in that cave, with only my house to view from it. Hmm, but for an example, look up there, at that thing flying in the sky.”
5:27 PM <rkcgm> *A 757 is flying over at 35,000 feet.

5:27 PM <sila> Leto looks up. “…am I looking at the bird making a cloud as it flies?”
5:27 PM <ellie> “It’s not a bird; it’s a flying machine. Essentially. It’s called an airplane.”
5:27 PM <havrasti> “It’s probably holding a few hundred humans in that. It’s miles and miles high.”
5:28 PM <sila> Leto: “A few /hundred/ humans? It must be huge!”
5:29 PM <sila> “Well, it’s pretty big, but also they pack in like sardines.”
5:29 PM <havrasti> “Yeah, much bigger than any dragon I’m aware of.”
5:29 PM <llewelyn>: “And not a lick of magic in it.”
5:29 PM <sila> Leto: “…I missed what the fish have to do with it?”
5:29 PM <sila> “I meant, very close together.”
5:30 PM <sila> Leto: “How does something carrying hundreds of humans get into the air without breaking half their necks??”
5:30 PM <sila> *Leto cranes his neck to keep the 757 in sight
5:31 PM <llewelyn>: “A very long take-off roll.”
5:32 PM <sila> Leto: "Fast… I don’t know how to take it in. I can’t justify refusing to believe it. seeing as how I’m 17 centuries in the future, but… "
5:32 PM <sila> “Don’t worry, Dad, you’ll get caught up eventually. One step at a time, right? Get up from your sick bed first, get your citizenship papers in order. /Then/ modern education.”
5:34 PM <llewelyn>: “Speaking of papers, we’ll have someone help you when it comes to that point.”
5:35 PM <sila> Leto: “Thank you. I think ‘learning modern Anglish’ needs to be in the early part of the priority list.”
5:40 PM <sila> “English.”
5:42 PM <sila> Leto: “But I thought Maia said it was Angles that…or am I mixing it up with-? Nevermind.”
5:42 PM <sila> Leto: “How are the cow today?”
5:43 PM * Sila laughs. “Same as yesterday.”
5:44 PM <ellie> “Am I sensing it might be time to build up the grill-fire?”
5:44 PM <sila> Leto: “The weather? Find anything new and shocking in that pocket-world? Yes! Let’s talk fire!”
5:45 PM * Sila laughs again. “All right, campfire, and we’ll bring Llewelyn up to speed on the latest details of the cleanout of the pocket.”
5:45 PM <havrasti> “I’ll go select a cow for that, then.”
5:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes, I’ve been driving all day – I’ve not seen your latest emails about whatever you’ve found in there.”
5:45 PM <sila> *Leto finds nearby fires calming.
5:46 PM * Sila gets kindling, sticks, logs, and builds an appropriate fuel structure for the fire.
5:47 PM <sila> *Maia breathes fire at it when Sila is done.
5:47 PM * Ellie helps gather/prepare any side-dishes Havrasti may have ingredients for.
5:49 PM <sila> *Sam shows up in time for dinner, which means he ends up helping Ellie bring stuff back from the house kitchen
5:50 PM * Ellie thanks Sam for the help.
5:51 PM <llewelyn>: “So what’d you find in the pocket?”
5:53 PM <sila> “Well we finished an additionally-thorough search of Lockwood’s quarters. I found a couple of smaller trophies that need decent creamation, but no new books.”
5:54 PM <llewelyn>: “More trophies… the guy was a ghoul.”
5:54 PM <sila> “Yeah.”
5:54 PM <sila> Leto: “But not that notebook I mentioned to you yesterday?”
5:55 PM <llewelyn>: “What notebook?”
5:55 PM <sila> “Nope. I don’t suppose you’d like to tell me what this is all about? I know you were falling asleep yesterday, and I was late to meet Sam and Anna, but…”
5:56 PM <sila> Leto: “Lockwood kept notes in this book, and he always kept it hidden. It had a special hiding place.”
5:57 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. Where was that? If we know, we can try looking whenever we go back.”
5:57 PM <llewelyn>: “Sounds important.”
5:58 PM <llewelyn>: “Maybe we should browse through there again after dinner.”
5:58 PM <sila> Leto: “It was in his quarters, but behind a hidden wall panel. I think it was between the desk with the glowing box on it and the built-in bookshelf? About waist-high on Lockwood. It took some fiddling to get open – it was hard to see what he was doing though. I didn’t always have such a good angle of view through the portal.”
6:00 PM <ellie> “Hmm. Yeah, we’ll have to check into it. I don’t think any of us thought to look for hidden compartments. …And I, at least, wouldn’t have known what to look for if I had.”
6:02 PM <havrasti> “After dinner.”
6:02 PM <sila> Leto: “I’m really concerned that it be found. It’s hard to put a claw on, but I think it’s important.”
6:02 PM <ellie> “Well, of course. Come between a dragon and food? Do you think I’ve learned nothing?” Ellie grins at Havrasti. “But yes, it sounds like something we’d rather like to see found, as well.”
6:04 PM * Havrasti has cut up a cow to be placed on the very nice fire and soon pleasant meaty smells fill the area around the cave
6:05 PM <llewelyn> makes his own hot dogs. Because… he brought them, and why is he wrapping them in bacon? Mm.
6:06 PM <sila> *Leto eyes the little bacon-dogs.
6:06 PM <sila> Leto: “When do you think I’ll be able to get a jewel on, Maia?”
6:07 PM <rkcgm> ((Whenever Anna finishes it, probably…))
6:08 PM <llewelyn> hands off one of the bacondogs to Leto.
6:09 PM <sila> *Leto takes it delicately in his claws and transfers it to his mouth.
6:09 PM <sila> Leto: “Mmmmmm.”
6:10 PM <sila> Leto: “Small but delicious. That’s one benefit of spending lots of time in human forms – better use and appreciation of smaller foodstuffs.”
6:10 PM <llewelyn>: “Incidentally, Sila – sometime in the next week, I’d like to borrow a portal to Esserea.”
6:10 PM * Sila snerks. “Borrow?”
6:10 PM <sila> “I can make you a portal if you can’t use an existing one. What’s going on?”
6:11 PM <llewelyn>: “I want to visit some family. You guys can come, if you want.”
6:11 PM <ellie> “Who are you visiting?”
6:11 PM <sila> “I’m up for it. What’s the occasion?”
6:11 PM <llewelyn>: “My grandfather.”
6:12 PM <ellie> “Ooh. I would like to come.”
6:13 PM <llewelyn> nods.
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s been a few years since I’ve seen him – or my uncle, for that matter. It’s past time, really.”
6:14 PM <havrasti> “Sounds good.”
6:14 PM <ellie> “Heh. Yes. I’m sure my mom’s family cannot at all relate…”
6:14 PM * Havrasti noms into cow flank
6:16 PM <llewelyn> nods.
6:16 PM * Sila snags a bacon dog while she waits for her favorite cut of beef to get a little crispier
6:16 PM * Ellie has been waiting on her steak, as well. She likes it a little better done.
6:16 PM <ellie> It’s probably going to be ready soon, though.
6:17 PM <ellie> She’s been munching on a salad in the meantime.
6:18 PM <ellie> ((How much do we have to do here around the grill-fire? Or do we want to time-skip to searching for this notebook?))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((I’d prefer to time-skip.))
6:19 PM <havrasti> ((time skip is fine))
6:19 PM <sila> *Work talk having given over to chewing, Maia tells her personal history of the 1100s and 1200s
6:19 PM <sila> *Leto starts dozing off again
6:24 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, let’s go do a last search, guys.”
6:25 PM <sila> “OK. Bye mom.”
6:25 PM <sila> Sam: “I’m coming.”
6:25 PM * Ellie stands to go with Llewelyn.
6:25 PM <sila> Maia: “Good luck finding the secret compartment.”
6:26 PM <havrasti> “Thanks.”
6:30 PM * Sila has the pocket dimension attached to a closet in their house for convenience
6:30 PM <llewelyn> grabs his staff out of his car, then joins everyone in the house at the closet door. “Ready?”
6:30 PM <havrasti> “Yep.”
6:31 PM <ellie> “Ready here.”
6:32 PM <sila> “It’s pretty safe in there now, really. We’ve been at this for days.”
6:32 PM * Sila heads in.
6:35 PM * Havrasti follows
6:35 PM <sila> *Llewelyn will note the distinct lack of guns pointing into the old kill box now ;)
6:36 PM <llewelyn>: “What’d you do with the machine guns, by the way?”
6:37 PM <sila> “For now they’re in the pocket’s armory.”
6:38 PM <llewelyn> nods.
6:38 PM <sila> “It’s as safe as anyplace we could’ve stashed them, and we don’t have to look down the barrels every time we come in.”
6:38 PM <llewelyn> heads towards the building with Lockwood’s private rooms.
6:38 PM * Ellie follows
6:39 PM * Havrasti follows the halls to Lockwood’s office
6:40 PM <llewelyn>: “So… between the built-in bookcase and the computer desk…? That’s a stone wall.”
6:41 PM * Havrasti looks there for magic
6:41 PM <llewelyn> examines. “And about waist-height on Lockwood. No loose stones or anything…”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> *When Havrasti really concentrates, there’s… maybe… the slightest feel of magic from that area.

6:42 PM <havrasti> “Hmm, something very faint.”
6:43 PM <llewelyn>: “But no cracks in the wall, or loose stones that would indicate a block that could be removed.”
6:44 PM <llewelyn> frowns and puts the heel of his staff against the most likely piece of stone. “Let’s see if this works…”
6:46 PM <rkcgm> ((There’s a sound like dripping water for a few moments, and then the stone itself peels slowly back to reveal a cavity inside, with a leather-wrapped book inside.
6:46 PM <ellie> “Well… I’d say that looks like it.”
6:47 PM <ellie> “I’d get it, but knowing him, it’s trapped if the wrong person reaches their hand inside. Any way to check for that…”
6:47 PM * Havrasti takes another look for traps
6:47 PM <llewelyn>: “Havrasti?”
6:47 PM <havrasti> “Already on it.”
6:48 PM <rkcgm> ((There’s some magic on it, but it’s not trapped.))
6:48 PM <havrasti> “Hmm, not trap magic.” (what would it do?)
6:48 PM <rkcgm> ((Protects the book from moisture, insects, and other damage.))
6:49 PM * Sila reaches in
6:50 PM <sila> “If it’s not magical, it probably can’t do any damage Ellie can’t heal.”
6:50 PM * Sila picks up the book
6:51 PM <rkcgm> It’s a big, thick, leather-covered book with a leather strap running around it. If it belonged to anyone else, you might’ve suspected some sort of old Bible, but it’s not that.
6:52 PM * Sila undoes the strap and opens it to find out
6:54 PM <rkcgm> It’s a notebook, of sorts – filled with a lot of handwritten stuff in a completely indecipherable alphabet. Indecipherable partly because you don’t know the alphabet, and partly because the letters are undergoing minor changes every three or four seconds.
6:54 PM <havrasti> (changing as we’re watching them, or just that he used different ones?)
6:54 PM <sila> “…yep, there’s magic.”
6:55 PM <rkcgm> ((Changing as you watch them.))
6:55 PM <havrasti> “Well, let’s see how it works, then.”
6:56 PM <rkcgm> There always seems to be a consistent “standard letter”, but sometimes it’s like the i’s are not dotted and the t’s are not crossed, and then that changes…
6:58 PM <llewelyn>: “Ugh. Pungho Script.”
6:58 PM <sila> “Does that mean you know how to read it?”
6:58 PM <havrasti> ((would Havrasti have heard of that?))
6:58 PM <ellie> “Hm. So you’re familiar with this kind of thing?”
6:59 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ve seen it before, but I didn’t learn it.”
7:00 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s a dead language, like trying to get someone that reads Egyptian hieroglyphs.”
7:00 PM <havrasti> “Who used to use it? Giants?”
7:01 PM <sila> “Why am I not surprised…1700 year time portal and all…”
7:01 PM <sila> “Do you think my Dad would be able to read it?”
7:01 PM <havrasti> “I wonder if Leto owuld know.”
7:02 PM <llewelyn>: “I think so. From what I can recall, it was a bear to learn, and you had to write it in a particular kind of ink – which is why the letters move.”
7:02 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, you could see if he knows it.”
7:04 PM <llewelyn>: “The ink is actually still wet, you’ll note. That’s because it’s like a little tiny worm that is stuck on the page.”
7:04 PM <havrasti> “Bizzare.”
7:04 PM <ellie> “Hrm.”
7:05 PM <havrasti> “Does DEAR have any cryptologists?”
7:06 PM <llewelyn>: “Not up to this sort of thing.”
7:06 PM * Ellie scans the thing with her telepathy. If the writing is… kind of a living creature… she wonders if she’d get anything from that. Mostly she’s just curious.
7:07 PM <sila> “Eeew.”
7:07 PM <sila> “It’s not actual creatures though, is it?”
7:07 PM <rkcgm> ((No real telepathic pickup, Ellie.))
7:07 PM <llewelyn>: “Not really; it’s the closest I can really describe it.”
7:08 PM <llewelyn>: “Maybe more like a mold, or a moss, or some sort of liquid plant.”
7:08 PM <llewelyn>: “There’s actual meaning to the changes in the letters, which is why you just can’t write it normally.”
7:09 PM <llewelyn>: “…actually, I bet you could program a font to do that on the computer, but not on real paper.”
7:09 PM <sila> “Yeah, if you wanted to.”
7:09 PM <llewelyn>: “One of the reasons why this alphabet went extinct.”
7:10 PM <sila> “I wonder how they train the fungus-stuff to do which meaningful change…?”
7:10 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t know.”
7:11 PM <llewelyn>: “Well… if you want to learn, I CAN tell you who to talk to!”
7:11 PM <havrasti> “And then study computer cryptorgraphy and make a cracking program!”
7:12 PM <sila> “Heh, there we go.”
7:13 PM <ellie> “Heh. Who do we talk to, then?”
7:13 PM * Ellie is not assuming Anna, since this is a dead language.
7:13 PM <llewelyn>: “My grandfather’s librarian.”
7:14 PM <sila> “Heh, well, we were going there anyway.”
7:14 PM <havrasti> “Well then! Good thing you invited us to go with you.”
7:14 PM <llewelyn>: “In stereo, even.”
7:14 PM <llewelyn>: “So then – first we check with Leto.”
7:15 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ll need some stuff from my office, too – and Douglas has a group meeting tomorrow evening that we ought to attend, as well.”
7:15 PM <ellie> “Aaaah. An previews on what it’s about?”
7:17 PM <llewelyn>: “Hmmm… no.”
7:18 PM <llewelyn> isn’t willing to say.
7:18 PM <sila> “Oh boy. That can’t be a good sign.”
7:19 PM <ellie> "Oh dear
7:19 PM <llewelyn>: “No – oh DEAR.”
7:19 PM * Ellie scowls at Llewelyn and baps him. :-p
7:19 PM <llewelyn>: “We used to have these meetings more regularly, but that was when there were fewer of us.”
7:20 PM <llewelyn>: “We’ve not had one in… yack! About nine months…”
7:20 PM <sila> “Soo…boring?”
7:21 PM <havrasti> “I guess we’ll find out.”
7:21 PM <llewelyn>: “They didn’t used to be. Sometimes Betsy would do puppets and talk about the Civil War, and Douglas brought a frisbee. But for tomorrow’s meeting… probably no frisbees.”
7:22 PM <ellie> “And no preparation?”
7:23 PM <sila> “Hm. Well, that’s for tomorrow I guess. We’ll see what my dad has to say about Pungho script in the morning too – let him sleep for now.”
7:23 PM <llewelyn>: “Unless you’re bringing puppets in order to present your report, there’s no need for prep.”
7:24 PM * Ellie shrugs and lets the matter drop.
7:24 PM <ellie> Not that Llewelyn’s being all knowing and mysterious isn’t a tad annoying… :-p
7:25 PM <sila> “Oh, are we on the agenda? You should lead with that kind of information Llewelyn.”
7:25 PM <llewelyn>: “There’s an open topic time. But we’re not on the agenda.”
7:28 PM <sila> “Whew. OK then.”
== END LOG ==

View
Arc 9 Part 1
Cuban Pete

== START LOG ==
5:17 PM <rkcgm> It has been a quiet six months since our last eventful mission, where we assisted in the extradition of a telepath to Australia.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> During that time, Sila and Elizabeth Cato (the millionaire-slash-pharmacist-slash-magictechist who you saved from “goblins”) partnered up to buy the magitech machine “Alex 2.0” from Elizabeth’s rival and ex-boss, Bill Blumberg.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> Unfortunately, even though Blumberg couldn’t use the machine /himself/, he still negotiated a high price for both the machine and all of Elizabeth’s old proprietary research.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> As a result, Sila’s hoardables are distressingly low at the moment; but Elizabeth and her husband Matt are currently rebuilding Alex 2.0 into “Alex XM4”.
5:17 PM <rkcgm> The new machine benefits from Sila’s programming, Elizabeth’s nigh-encyclopedic medical knowledge, Anna’s mastery of enchanting and alchemy, and Matt’s wizardry with lathes and CNC machines and dremels and hammers.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Speaking of Elizabeth Cato and Matt Purdue – you were invited to their wedding, which everyone agreed was pretty decent and surprisingly subdued for multi-millionaires.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti made friends with Matt’s younger siblings, one of whom was a hang-glider enthusiast.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Even Llewelyn enjoyed himself (despite copious complaints about having to wear a suit-jacket), but that was mostly because he surreptitiously used magic to glue a famous papparazi photographer to the back door of a catering van. Don’t worry, the guy /totally/ deserved it.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> And since we’re on the topic of weddings, you were also invited to the wedding of Luke Hanley and Jordan Braithwick, which was held in Brennin.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> This wedding was rather different, since Sila and Havrasti – and any other nonhuman guests – were permitted to attend in ‘form of their choice’.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Nobody ever mentioned – until afterward – that Ellie’s dad and Llewelyn were placed in charge of special effects and fireworks… which meant that the display was best described as “pure Gandalfian awesomeness” by Vincent. (Who, it should be noted, enchanted Jordan’s bouquet so that it could ONLY be caught by Ellie.)
5:18 PM <rkcgm> After the wedding was over – Sila and Havrasti flew back to California in order to work with Elizabeth Cato on their joint business model, take delivery of Alex 2.0 and the research files, and generally start to get things in order. (Elizabeth expects to make a profit by Q3 of 2014.)
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Meanwhile, Ellie and Llewelyn returned to Australia (neatly avoiding a particularly nasty period of winter weather in the US), meeting Anna and Sam there, so that Anna could fiddle with shapeshifting gems.
5:19 PM <rkcgm> That work allowed the four of them to help Agent Eileen Patel explore the very tricky underwater caves in the “ocean” bordering Australia’s little pocket world.
5:19 PM <rkcgm> Jordan and Luke, when they heard about the plan to explore the underwater caves, cut short the last two days of their Maldives honeymoon in order to join in the diving (which was appropriate due to Jordan’s scuba-diving certification).
5:20 PM <rkcgm> No one found any sunken pirate treasure, but everyone who went agreed that the underwater caves were spectacularly awesome.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> Also, Sam punched a shark in the nose to protect Anna. As if he needed more brownie points. Granted, the shark was only two feet long, but Anna insisted it was the principle of the thing.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> When not engaged in other duties, Llewelyn bought eighteen books, some sort of fancy rifle, a gallon of hideous yellow paint, and a fifty pound marble statue of a duck. Consensus around DEAR seems to be that he’s preparing some sort of practical joke on Vincent, but he’s not talking.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> Until then, the giant duck statue is a tripping hazard in Llewelyn’s office.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> DEAR has also hired two – count ‘em! – two more mages. First there was Charlotte Landry, the ex-schoolteacher who baked magic snacks that turned four kindergarteners into Hulk Junior. With more training, it also turned out she was able to apply her talent to other baked goods as well as interpretive dance and song.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> Second, there was Carnildo Mahani, who DEAR recruited from the various Elvish refugees in the US. Among the ’Normals’, he goes by the name Mark Mahan, but he never lets anyone in DEAR get away with that. Unfortunately, he thinks he’s Gandalf the White in Sylvester Stallone’s body, which gets very irritating… particularly when he is neither.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> You all arrive to work at DEAR on Monday morning, March 31st, to find the parking lot already full of cars; apparently a few people were called into the office early. Llewelyn’s car is already present, indicating that he was one of the people summoned into the office.
5:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay.))
5:22 PM * Havrasti helps Sila out of the car, of course
5:22 PM <havrasti> “Busy day it looks like.”
5:22 PM * Ellie gets out of her own car and meets Havrasti and Sila on the way to the door.
5:22 PM <ellie> “Morning.”
5:22 PM <havrasti> “Oh, hi Ellie.”
5:22 PM <sila> “Let’s go see if Llewelyn’s gotten rid of that marble bath toy yet.”
5:23 PM * Sila waves to Ellie as she speaks
5:23 PM * Havrasti heads on in
5:24 PM * Ellie falls in line with Havrasti and Sila and also heads in.
5:25 PM * Havrasti looks around for the “boss”
5:25 PM * Ellie tosses a light-flower onto a Menhir standing in the lobby by way of a greeting to it.
5:26 PM <rkcgm> The lobby menhir greens and blues in reply to Ellie.
5:27 PM * Sila spark-patterns at it, matching it’s basic shape, by way of saying “Hi (you-menhir)”
5:27 PM * Havrasti just waves, he’s not sure if it’s effective
5:27 PM * Ellie shifts the flower in a similar green and blue pattern, then dismisses it.
5:28 PM * Sila heads for Llewelyn’s office unless she runs into Douglas or another distraction first
5:28 PM * Ellie then tele-searches for Llewelyn. /Morning, love. :-) What’s with the apparent crowd?/
5:28 PM * Ellie follows Sila and Havrasti as she does this.
5:30 PM <llewelyn>: /Morning, dear! A minor kerfluffle; we’re in the main conference room./
5:30 PM * Ellie speaks up, “Llewelyn says they’re in the main conference room.”
5:31 PM * Havrasti heads that way
5:31 PM <ellie> She turns to head there, assuming the others will also adjust course.
5:31 PM * Ellie answers Llewelyn, /On our way. Minor kerfluffle, huh?/
5:32 PM <sila> “Oh good, I won’t have to stumble on the duck then. Stupid thing.”
5:32 PM <llewelyn>: /For us, yes. The Brits and French are running a big operation. Brief you when you get here…/
5:34 PM <rkcgm> When you arrive at the operations conference room, you find Llewelyn, Douglas, Hickory, Betsy, and both Colin and April Lamb sitting at the conference table. Colin’s typing furiously on his laptop, and has a video feed on the main 60" screen. There is no sound.
5:36 PM * Ellie waves to everyone and smiles slightly, but mostly keeps quiet so as not to be a distraction, if that would be a problem.
5:40 PM <rkcgm> The screen shows helmet-cams from multiple people currently embarked in helicopters. At least half of them are special forces troops from L’Elyseens, with Vincent leading them. In one of the other helicopters, you see at least four of the Safeguard mages, including Luke and Jordan.
5:40 PM <llewelyn> turns to you. “They’re going into Morocco. Colin, you want to explain?”
5:41 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “Busy.”
5:41 PM <llewelyn>: “Kay then, I’ll explain.”
5:42 PM <llewelyn> opens his laptop and turns the screen toward you all, showing an eBay page.
5:43 PM <rkcgm> Advertisement: “Wanted. Professional dragon-hunters. Price negotiable. Contact email for details. Serious offers only.”
5:43 PM <ellie> “Oh dear.”
5:43 PM <havrasti> “…”
5:44 PM * Havrasti grumbles that there shouldn’t /be/ dragon hunters in this world
5:44 PM <sila> "Oh /no/ "
5:45 PM <sila> “Do we know who they’re hunting?”
5:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Colin found it last night and ran the contact info. Some very interesting stuff came up.”
5:45 PM * Havrasti looks at the info of who is selling
5:45 PM * Sila has about the look on her face you’d expect from someone reading an add for professional hitmen.
5:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Well… no. But we have some guesses.”
5:47 PM <rkcgm> April: “The email account given in the add is actually on the US government’s watch list, and through… various dubious means, we have access to certain data from it.”
5:48 PM <rkcgm> Colin continues typing and looking at his laptop, but speaks up: “We can tell who sends them emails, and whether or not they’re opened, but we can’t read the emails themselves.”
5:49 PM <sila> “OK… please tell me they’re not getting email from our not-friends we met in Abu Dhabi. That would reduce my blood pressure a lot, just this moment.”
5:50 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “They’re not getting email from your friends from Abu Dhabi.”
5:50 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “The ad is four weeks old, and was apparently answered by another email account registered in the UK. The person seeking services is apparently in Cuba.”
5:51 PM <sila> “Whew. OK, that’s one relief.”
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “I’m glad. Ready for the bad news?”
5:51 PM <sila> “Hit me.”
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “They apparently got a serious offer from someone, and transferred fifteen million dollars to an offshore account as an initial payment.”
5:53 PM <sila> “Yeah, that’s bad.”
5:53 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “He forgot the best part. The fifteen million came from a Cuban government account.”
5:54 PM <sila> “…government??”
5:54 PM <sila> “OK, so how does that tie in with the guesses about who they’re hunting?”
5:54 PM <llewelyn>: “Yup. The Cuban government just hired themselves some dragonhunters.”
5:54 PM <ellie> “I’m just confused as to how anyone manages to prove they’re a professional dragon hunter well enough to merit a 15 million down payment.”
5:55 PM <havrasti> “Trophies, perhaps.”
5:55 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “Can’t read the emails, so I don’t know.”
5:56 PM * Havrasti looks at Sila, “I wonder if you could read the emails.”
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “But we contacted the Brits, since the answer came out of the UK. It actually turns out to be a front for somebody operating out of Morocco.”
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “So the French and British are raiding the place right now. Should be going in… in about five minutes.”
5:58 PM <llewelyn>: “As to who they’re targeting, it’s just a suspicion, but…”
5:59 PM <llewelyn>: “There’s a refugee water dragon who lives in Miami. Runs a bar that caters to the Cuban expatriate community there.”
5:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Coincidence?”
6:00 PM <sila> “Maybe not, though why the Cubans should want to kill a restaurateur of any species is beyond me.”
6:00 PM <ellie> “Well, if he caters to Cuban expatriats, they may suspect him of facilitating activities that would be counter to their government or something.”
6:00 PM * Sila snorts
6:01 PM <sila> “What, like helping them become expatriats?”
6:01 PM <ellie> “Or helping them conspire against the existing government from outside it.”
6:01 PM * Havrasti looks to the bosses to answer that
6:01 PM <sila> (imitating others voice) “How did you get to Miami? I took an overloaded raft!” “I flew on dragonback! No really!”
6:02 PM <ellie> “It doesn’t have to make sense for him to be helping them escape or conspire or anything like that. I mean… it is the Cuban government.”
6:03 PM <sila> “Heh, true.”
6:03 PM <sila> “15 mil is a lot of cash even for them to spend on being random though. They must at least /think/ he’s doing them serious harm.”
6:04 PM <llewelyn>: “And that’s just the down-payment.”
6:04 PM <ellie> “Hence the thought that they might suspect conspiracy of some sort.”
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I’ve never met him, but… well…”
6:04 PM <sila> “I suppose it’s too much to ask that someone can make that payment disappear somehow?”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “It was withdrawn or transferred about ten minutes after it was deposited.”
6:05 PM * Ellie is watching Douglas for what he was about to say.
6:06 PM * Havrasti is quiet, waiting for the people who know more about what’s going on to tell us, than to make up conjectures before they tell us all they’re going to tell us :P ;)
6:06 PM * Sila mutters a draconic proverb, in draconic; “If you cannot recover your stolen hoard, let the thief also not recover from your vengeance.”
6:07 PM <rkcgm> Douglas wags his tail. “Pete’s a pretty… interesting character.”
6:07 PM <ellie> “In other words, it wouldn’t be out of character for him to be conspiring against Cuba?”
6:08 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I’d chew him out if he was – it’s kinda illegal – but would it really, truly surprise me? Well… maybe a bit.”
6:09 PM <ellie> “Heh.”
6:09 PM <ellie> “So, the plan is for the Brits and French to cut the hit-men off before they leave. Has anyone alerted him that he may be in danger, though?”
6:10 PM <sila> “We suffer a severe lack of proof.”
6:10 PM <ellie> “I mean, if there were /any/ way possible that Sila could have access to the computers with those e-mails so as to know who the target was for sure… that would probably be the logical first step.”
6:10 PM <ellie> “But it’s not worthless to be able to say to someone, ‘We don’t know for sure, but we /think/ you may be in danger. Please be careful and take precautions.”
6:11 PM <sila> “Well, true.”
6:12 PM <ellie> “I mean… for that matter… would there be negative repercussions to informing all the dragons we know of, ‘Hey, we don’t know who the target is for sure, but someone out there has hired a dragon hunter. Please be on guard.’”
6:12 PM <ellie> “I ask genuinely – it may be that would incite panic or something without doing any good. But it might be worth doing, even so.”
6:12 PM <havrasti> “Mass panic? Burnination of the countryside at any potential threat?”
6:12 PM <ellie> “Is that how the dragon community would respond?”
6:13 PM <havrasti> “Let’s just say it’s a good thing I was in this form when I heard the words ‘dragon hunter’ for hire.”
6:13 PM <sila> “Are there actually enough of us to count as masses?”
6:14 PM <sila> “Anyway, I agree with the basic first-reaction thing, but seriously…everyone knows that kind of thing just brings more dragon hunters out of the woodwork, right? I mean come on, we’re intelligent beings here.”
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “So far as we know? Just you two, Sam and Anna and Sila’s mom, the family in Montana… and Pete.”
6:14 PM <sila> “And the ones off the Hawaiian archipelago.”
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Oh yes. And the Gila Monster.”
6:14 PM <ellie> “Presumably those are kinda hidden and unknown, though.”
6:15 PM <llewelyn>: “Presumably.”
6:15 PM <sila> “Also, not close to nor interacting with Cuba.”
6:17 PM <rkcgm> Colin gestures to Llewelyn’s laptop. “Sila, you want to try opening those emails, perhaps? Unless you want to watch the action.”
6:17 PM * Havrasti watches the screen, “Is that live right now, then?”
6:17 PM <rkcgm> Colin: “Yup. Looks like they’re just going in.”
6:18 PM <sila> "I want to watch the action, I think – emails after that. It’s highly unlikely 5 or 10 minutes will make a difference to reading the emails…
6:18 PM <ellie> “…You sure? I mean… it may not be highly likely, but there could be tactical information in those messages relevant to the current action.”
6:19 PM <sila> “Well…”
6:19 PM <sila> “Ngn. I want to watch, but if I wait and you turn out to be right…fine, I’ll try.”
6:20 PM <rkcgm> On the screen, you see the helicopters come in low into a desert valley, and hover low while the two different groups of raiders jump out.
6:20 PM * Sila says hello I am the correct receiver, really I am, to the email server.
6:20 PM <sila> !6d6
6:20 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (1+4+5+4+4+3). Total: 21.
6:21 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: difficulty roll for Sila
6:21 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty roll for Sila”: (5+4+2+3+6+5). Total: 25.
6:22 PM <havrasti> ((would you like a green?))
6:22 PM <sila> ((can I use a party coin to ask Colin for help?))
6:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure.))
6:22 PM <sila> ((OK, party green then, keeping just the 5))
6:23 PM <sila> !5d6: and a 5
6:23 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “and a 5”: (1+6+1+2+3). Total: 13.
6:23 PM <havrasti> ((want my green?))
6:24 PM * Havrasti does some shoulder rubbing of the frustrated Sila to calm her a bit ;)
6:24 PM <sila> ((…isn’t this the mission where he’s been threatening to make us use ALL our coins? i’m not sure this is worth a 2nd one.))
6:24 PM <rkcgm> ((Dun dun dun.))
6:24 PM <havrasti> ((this might be that part, who knows :P ))
6:24 PM <ellie> ((Try one more time. ;-) ))
6:25 PM <rkcgm> ((You can try again in a few minutes, if you wish. Sorta ‘take ten’?))
6:25 PM <sila> !4d6: keeping 6,5 with Havrasti’s green
6:25 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “keeping 6,5 with Havrasti’s green”: (2+3+6+3). Total: 14.
6:26 PM <rkcgm> ((Looks like a success.))
6:27 PM <havrasti> ((and two 6s))
6:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes, so Havrasti gets his coin back, IIRC.))
6:27 PM <havrasti> !2d6 : assist coin back
6:27 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “assist coin back”: (3+6). Total: 9.
6:27 PM <sila> ((ah, yes. Yay!))
6:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Red.))
6:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry – Green.))
6:28 PM <havrasti> ((I was about to say/protest :P :) ))
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Sila is able to open the emails after several minutes of difficulty. Apparently, email was just used in order to set up some face-to-face meetings – multiple meetings – prior to this point. There’s no time-sensitive information, but Sila does discover that the dragonhunters are apparently operating under the organization name “Georgian Safari Club.”
6:32 PM * Sila growls aloud at the Sir George reference
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Douglas is watching the screen. “What?”
6:32 PM <sila> “They call themselves the Georgian Safari Club.”
6:32 PM <havrasti> “Dragon sport hunters.”
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “…yes? Oh, I got it…”
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Vincent and his troops… wait. Vincent, a pack of werewolves, and his special forces troops move in. It looks like there’s about twenty-five of them in all. Luke and Jordan lead the other two Safeguard mages, apparently serving as “artillery”.
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Judging from the helmet-cams, there seems to be a lot of generally running around.
6:34 PM <llewelyn>: “Nobody’s home.”
6:35 PM <sila> “Good news: probably nobody dying Here today. Bad news: where ARE the dragon-killers?”
6:36 PM <rkcgm> The conference room’s phone rings. You can see on helmet cams that Vincent got his cell phone out.
6:37 PM <llewelyn> picks up. “Luigi’s Pizza, do you wish to order something?”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “I got all my people dressed for playtime and there’s nothing here. You owe me for the anticlimax.”
6:38 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “What’ve you found?”
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Just a small warehouse in the middle of the desert. It’s so bland that it’s very suspicious.”
6:39 PM <sila> “Big game hunting equipment?”
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Nothing we could find. The place looks like it was stripped clear.”
6:40 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “But my werewolves tell me there were a lot of people here, VERY recently.”
6:40 PM <sila> “So either they know someone’s onto them, or they’re out hunting.”
6:40 PM <havrasti> “No traps left behind either, right?”
6:40 PM <ellie> “And can anyone tell how all those people left?”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Nobody but me, because I’m that good.”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Everyone else but me would’ve missed the Way.”
6:41 PM <ellie> “Except probably Sila.”
6:41 PM <sila> “I’m not there…any idea where it goes, Vincent?”
6:41 PM <ellie> The tone is slightly teasing. ;-)
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Ohh, I’m wounded. Save me. Save me.”
6:42 PM <ellie> “Sorry, no distance healing.” Also slightly teasing.
6:42 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “…unfortunately, I’m not good enough to actually OPEN it.”
6:42 PM <sila> “Maybe I /should/ be there.”
6:43 PM <sila> “Although I’d want that whole ‘no traps’ thing triple checked by a mage. I’d hate to show up and discover something only dangerous to dragons.”
6:43 PM <ellie> “…How far out can you sense Ways? Because if the target is someone over here, maybe you could sense the exit-point, rather than having to go to the entrance.”
6:43 PM <ellie> “Or could you use the Magnet to help with that?”
6:44 PM <sila> “The Magnet diagnostic should warn us if the entrance is in the US…”
6:45 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “There’s no magic here, except for the Way itself. I’m confident.”
6:47 PM <ellie> “Well… Sila, could you port us there?”
6:47 PM <sila> “Hmmm.”
6:47 PM * Sila glances at Douglass
6:48 PM <rkcgm> Douglas nods. “You’re on the case.”
6:48 PM <sila> “Ok then… just promise that no matter what happens, if things go wrong, you won’t let Sam come after us.”
6:49 PM <ellie> It takes Ellie a minute to figure out why not. But then she realizes Sila probably doesn’t want any radioactive disasters.
6:50 PM <sila> “If Havrasti and I get dragon hunters on our tails, someone has to be free to take care of mom and the eggs.”
6:52 PM <havrasti> “While you set up the portal, we should head to the equipment room.”
6:52 PM <sila> “Yeah.”
6:53 PM * Sila stares at Douglass
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Douglas nods. “You have said it.”
6:53 PM <sila> “OK. Where do you want the DEAR end of the temp-way?”
6:54 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Normal place – the garage, if you please.”
6:54 PM <sila> “Figured. Meet the rest of you there.”
6:55 PM * Sila heads off to the garage, punching in Vincent’s GPS coordinates on her tablet.
6:55 PM <havrasti> (skip ahead?)
6:55 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure.))
6:55 PM <sila> ((y))
6:55 PM <llewelyn> shows up in the garage with his fancy new rifle and his mage’s staff. Odd for him to break that out for a change.
6:56 PM * Ellie shows up with herself. She tends to travel light. :-p
6:57 PM * Sila stabilizes the portal and snags her sidearm from Havrasti
6:58 PM <rkcgm> The portal stabilizes and you see Vincent standing on the other side.
6:59 PM <sila> “Hey Vincent.”
6:59 PM * Sila steps through
6:59 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Allo.”
7:00 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Like I said – no magic anywhere here but the Way.”
7:00 PM <sila> “OK…let me do a quick check for technology then…”
7:00 PM * Havrasti comes through as well
7:00 PM * Sila gives a listen for cameras or other active tech that might be informing our quarry about us.
7:00 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t sense anything, either.”
7:01 PM <rkcgm> Sila quickly spots a camera, but it is not drawing power. Someone apparently turned it off.
7:01 PM * Ellie does an area telepathy check for any hostiles.
7:01 PM <ellie> She gives her abilities a stretch, and tries to push the scan out as far as she’s able, even beyond the building.
7:01 PM <sila> “Camera up there, but it’s unpowered at the moment… OK then.”
7:02 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: difficulty roll for Ellie
7:02 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty roll for Ellie”: (3+3+4+6). Total: 16.
7:02 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy pushed to the limits
7:02 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy pushed to the limits”: (3+5+4+5+5+5). Total: 27.
7:02 PM <rkcgm> Jordan comes over. “Hey guys! Yeah, I got the cameras when we came in.”
7:03 PM <rkcgm> Ellie cannot detect anyone anywhere close to you.
7:03 PM <sila> “Ah, good. I wonder what it was talking to? You can maybe chase that down while I’m examining this Way though.”
7:03 PM * Sila has a look at the Way magic next
7:04 PM * Havrasti takes a look around the perimeter as well
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Vincent shows Sila a door that apparently leads to a filthy bathroom… but only when the Way is inactive, which it currently isn’t. Sila can feel the inactive gateway once she gets close, though.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: there’s probably a way in, but it’s tricky
7:06 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “there’s probably a way in, but it’s tricky”: (5+3+2+5+5+6). Total: 26.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> ((Oops. I meant to say that it leads somewhere when active – and it isn’t active.))
7:07 PM <sila> ((to be clear; the filth bathroom is in the warehouse, not at the far end, correct?))
7:08 PM <rkcgm> ((Correct, it is in the warehouse.))
7:10 PM * Sila gently prods the magic and listens to its “song”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> ((There’s a roll for you up above.))
7:11 PM <sila> !6d6: right, I noticed that
7:11 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “right, I noticed that”: (4+1+6+6+4+2). Total: 23.
7:11 PM <havrasti> ((yay))
7:15 PM <rkcgm> Sila learns several things. First, the Way was apparently not originally tied to this location… and it was, apparently, quite recently /disconnected/ from this location, hence why nobody could open it. However, the entrance was apparently anchored in this place for long enough that it left some sort of energy pattern that lets Sila re-connect both ends.
7:16 PM <rkcgm> The Way reconnects with an audible – and surprisingly loud – ‘thunk’.
7:16 PM <ellie> “…Wonder if that could be heard on the other side…”
7:17 PM <havrasti> “Maybe, so be ready.”
7:17 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Permit my troops to take point.”
7:19 PM <rkcgm> Vincent turns to his spec-ops troops and issues several rapid commands. The Elysians stack up on the door, toss four flash-bang grenades in, and then storm the entrance. Four werewolves follow them through.
7:19 PM * Ellie steps aside to let them through.
7:19 PM * Ellie does attempt to “follow” them with a telepathy listen, though…
7:20 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy attempt again
7:20 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy attempt again”: (5+3+2+4+1+5). Total: 20.
7:20 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: difficulty
7:20 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty”: (5+3+3). Total: 11.
7:22 PM * Sila stays well off to the side while the werewolves go in. If these villians are loaded for dragon, then she is the last person who should be leading the way.
7:22 PM <rkcgm> Ellie is able to determine that the Elysians encountered no difficulties on the other side.
7:23 PM * Sila checks the re-anchored way for stability, and echoes of it’s next-most-recent location
7:24 PM <sila> "Talk about brute-force magic…permanent Ways like this weren’t really /meant/ to be shifted around this way.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> Sila: this Way has apparently been half a dozen places in the last twenty years, but you can’t really pin down any of them exactly. You gather that the un-anchored end was intended to be picked up again someplace else.
7:27 PM <sila> ((picked up meaning, it was made to come out different places by actions of someone already on the far end?))
7:27 PM <ellie> “So, can you tell where it ends up?”
7:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Meaning, the person who un-anchored it was probably going to grab it again at some point in the future, then re-anchor it in a new hideout.))
7:29 PM <sila> ((Aaah, I get it. So /can/ I tell where the farther-from-us end is?))
7:29 PM <ellie> ((So it’s their Port-a-scape))
7:30 PM <rkcgm> ((It is in it’s own place, which is neither Earth nor Esserea nor anywhere else that you can recognize.))
7:31 PM <sila> “Give me a moment, Ellie…it’s got a weird signature. I think they overlaid a way of moving the end around, so they could break it off an old hideout and pull it down at a new one later. The far end…noplace I recognize. Might be a pocket world.”
7:32 PM <sila> “Maybe someplace like Brennan, where they never forgot magic was real. That’d explain a thing or three.”
7:33 PM <havrasti> “Well, is it clear enough for us to go through and see?”
7:33 PM <sila> “Shouldn’t we wait for Vincent to call the all-clear?”
7:33 PM <rkcgm> One of the French werewolves trots over to you all. “Vincent says no enemies. You should come in.”
7:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Ninja’d))
7:33 PM <sila> “Right, there we go.”
7:33 PM * Ellie goes through the portal second or third. ;)
7:33 PM * Sila steps into the way with only moderate trepidation
7:34 PM * Havrasti heads on through
7:34 PM <llewelyn> also goes through.
7:36 PM <sila> ((do I think they’ll have to send someone back here to break it out of my restored anchorage now, or is there a chance the entrance will move behind us?))
7:37 PM <rkcgm> You emerge into a place that appears to be designed as a kill zone; a sunken pit, surrounded by crenellated walls. There is a mounted machine gun, with an armored shield, that can fire the whole length of the entryway.
7:38 PM <sila> “…‘nice’ way design. Though I guess if they kill dragons on a regular basis, it’s not paranoia per say.”
7:38 PM <havrasti> “Ouch, glad nobody was home…”
7:38 PM <rkcgm> Vincent apparently dealt with the issue by using magic to slag a staircase into one of the concrete walls; dust is still settling.
7:40 PM <rkcgm> Vincent and his troops already went up the stairs; Vincent waves you up.
7:40 PM * Sila pauses by the entrance ((to work out the answer to my question above))
7:41 PM * Ellie goes along and upstairs… probably second of our group. ;)
7:41 PM <rkcgm> ((They’d have to send someone back to break the connection. This place is yours now, if you want it.))
7:41 PM <sila> ((OK))
7:41 PM * Havrasti looks around for evidence of the living
7:41 PM <sila> “I wonder if I just ruined their plan of attack? That’s a happy though.”
7:42 PM <sila> ((thought))
7:42 PM <havrasti> “Maybe their plan of escape?”
7:42 PM <rkcgm> On the next level up, you have what appears to be an exercise lawn (perhaps a football field?); there’s a rifle range to your right, and something that looks like a set of villas to your left.
7:43 PM <sila> “I’m just saying, if they’re depending on the ability to lure a rampaging dragon in here, and they find that they can’t snag the entrance because it isn’t free anymore, it might ruin their days. I really kind of hope so.”
7:43 PM <rkcgm> The weather feels almost Italian – probably 76 degrees, sunny, no humidity, very low wind.
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Sila gets the feeling that the ‘walls’ of this little pocket world are very close – it probably just encompasses the shooting range, the grassy field, and the large villa.
7:45 PM <havrasti> “I’m going to check the shooting range, should be quick, and I don’t want anyone potentially armed around.”
7:45 PM <sila> “Small space though. It feels like the beach house – the walls are closer than they look.”
7:45 PM * Sila climbs the stairs
7:46 PM <sila> “So Vincent…did you see a normal way up that you just didn’t like?”
7:46 PM <ellie> “For the record, I did telepathy-scan the place earlier, and so far as I can tell, it’s empty.”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Not until I made my own.”
7:47 PM <sila> “Weird. Do they fly I wonder?”
7:47 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “There’s a door in the concrete that leads to a stairs; can’t be opened from the inside.”
7:48 PM <sila> “Ah, that makes sense. Sort of. Awkward for the first man in, but good security.”
7:48 PM <ellie> “The problem for us, of course, is that this place is pretty much a dead end. Unless we can tell how they left it.”
7:49 PM <ellie> “And in the meantime… if they’re not at the warehouse we just left, and they’re not here… where are they?”
7:49 PM * Havrasti checks out the range quickly, does he find anything?
7:49 PM <sila> “Headed for the place they /wanted/ to re-anchor it, heh-heh.”
7:49 PM <ellie> “…Or headed for their mark…”
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Vincent gestures to the villa. “…well. I think you ought to see what’s in the house, assuming it doesn’t push your beserk button.”
7:50 PM <ellie> “…I venture a guess it’s how they proved they were dragon hunters?”
7:50 PM <sila> “I know the difference between friend and foe, Vincent, even when I’m angry.”
7:50 PM * Sila heads for the villa, looking grim.
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Uh huh.”
7:51 PM <ellie> “I don’t know if I have a berserk button, per se, but I won’t claim not to be squeamish, either. Unless there’s something that might help us track them down, I’ll pass.”
7:51 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “And I expect you do, Sila. I just prefer to give you a heads-up.”
7:52 PM * Havrasti comes with Sila once he finishes checking the range
7:52 PM <sila> “…yeah, thanks. If there’s remains, someone should give them a decent burial or ashing, though. So there’s that at the very least.”
7:55 PM * Sila opens the door to the Villa
7:56 PM <rkcgm> Vincent heads into the villa and enters a well-appointed common area that seems to be set up as some sort of African safari ’gentleman’s smoking room’, circa 1900. There are a number of trophies mounted on the walls (two tigers, a lion, some sort of rhinocerus…) and, yes, six mounted and stuffed dragon heads.
7:57 PM * Sila stands rigid for a few moments, making sure she’s in control of herself. ((None of them look familiar do they? ))
7:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Neeope.))
7:57 PM * Havrasti growls
7:58 PM <sila> “So yes. Burials need to happen.”
7:58 PM <sila> “grrr…Priorities. What else do we have in here?”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Vincent listens in his earphone. “An armoury, mostly empty. Records room. A barracks… also empty.”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> One of the werewolves nearby snarls something in French.
8:00 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Paul says he figures eighteen to twenty people here within the last twenty-four hours.”
8:01 PM <sila> “Big crowd.”
8:01 PM <sila> “Let’s go make use of the records room. Maybe it tells where they’re headed.”
8:02 PM <havrasti> “Yeah.”
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:31 PM <rkcgm> You showed up in Morocco to help a joined Anglo-French raid on a den of dragonslayers, which intelligence indicates were hired by the Cuban government for unknown, but probably nefarious purposes.
4:31 PM <rkcgm> You managed to open the gate to their secret base, and discovered a very small pocket world clearly designed for use as a headquarters.
4:32 PM <rkcgm> In the great hall of the main building, you found six stuffed dragon heads mounted as trophies on the walls, as well as other accountrements including a shooting range, exercise field, barracks, etc.
4:32 PM <rkcgm> The French werewolves Vincent brought with him are diligently sniffing the place out, while others are making sure the pocket world is secure.
4:34 PM * Havrasti feels uncomfortable in this place to say the least
4:34 PM * Sila had just proposed searching the records room for clues to the groups current whereabouts.
4:35 PM * Ellie had stayed outside, feeling no need to see the dragon trophies. Someone might want to get her or something…
4:36 PM * Sila feels torn between the urge to burn the place down and unweave the fabric of its existence, and the urge to take it over and make it a base for hunting dragonslayers and other criminals.
4:36 PM * Sila sticks her head out the door.
4:36 PM <sila> “Ellie are you coming? We’re going to go tear apart their records room.”
4:37 PM <sila> “You don’t want to get left behind in the … whatever they call this hall of heads.”
4:37 PM <ellie> “Oh, is that what they had in there? Gah.”
4:38 PM <llewelyn> has already swept one of the wings of the structures, and returns with Vincent. “We found a computer server for this place.”
4:38 PM <ellie> “Okay, okay, I should probably come along and help search things.”
4:38 PM <havrasti> “Sounds like a good place to start, then.”
4:38 PM <sila> “OOOHAHAHAHA! All you database are belong to US!”
4:39 PM * Sila starts off down the hall Llewelyn just came from.
4:39 PM * Ellie looks to Llewelyn. “Someplace I’d be useful?”
4:39 PM <llewelyn>: “Not sure yet, dear.”
4:40 PM <llewelyn>: "There doesn’t seem to be anyone present, so scanning telepathically for sources might not be that useful.
4:40 PM <sila> (yelling down the hallway) “Any by US I mean ME – prepare for an admin change, computer – where is it Llewelyn? Nevermind, I hear it.”
4:41 PM <ellie> "What about the records room Sila mentioned? Do you think all the info there would be on the computer, or should someone begin skimming through there?’
4:41 PM <havrasti> “Any rodents around here you can telepath with?”
4:42 PM * Sila finds and pounces the computer. (Not literally. Quite.)
4:42 PM <llewelyn>: “Ah, the records room is probably a good idea. It’s right next to their server room.”
4:42 PM <sila> !6d6: give me access. Give me ALL the access.
4:42 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “give me access. Give me ALL the access.”: (4+4+5+5+1+4). Total: 23.
4:42 PM <ellie> “What would I be asking them about, Havrasti?”
4:42 PM <ellie> “I mean, I could try and see, but…”
4:42 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficulty role for Sila
4:42 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty role for Sila”: (4+1+6+1+3). Total: 15.
4:43 PM <havrasti> “Maybe about any secret rooms? Probably unlikely, as this whole place ought to be considered secret, but you never know.”
4:43 PM <sila> ((well, anyone want to lend me a coin?))
4:43 PM <rkcgm> ((You want the party blue or red?))
4:44 PM <sila> ((red would probably be good enough))
4:44 PM <rkcgm> ((ticking off the party red.))
4:44 PM <sila> !6d6: No really. I’m the admin. Root access please.
4:44 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “No really. I’m the admin. Root access please.”: (5+5+4+1+5+1). Total: 21.
4:44 PM <sila> ((…))
4:44 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh dear.))
4:45 PM <ellie> “Okay, I could see…”
4:45 PM <ellie> ((I do have a green, if that would help…))
4:45 PM * Havrasti was following Sila to the server room, and the records room next to it
4:45 PM <sila> ((moment, I need my table of coin behaviors))
4:46 PM <sila> ((shall I snag the blue too then?))
4:46 PM <havrasti> ((Care for my green?))
4:46 PM <ellie> ((Green would be better than blue in this case))
4:46 PM <ellie> ((since you have those two 1s))
4:52 PM <sila> !5d5: plus a 5, rolling with green.
4:52 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “plus a 5, rolling with green.”: (3+2+4+1+3). Total: 13.
4:53 PM <havrasti> ((the dicebot, it hates you :P ))
4:53 PM <rkcgm> ((Clearly.))
4:53 PM <sila> ((axiomatically. This is an unusual level of hate even for it, though :P ))
4:54 PM <rkcgm> ((We can perhaps work around this, so if you want to keep working on it, it’s not the end of the world.))
4:54 PM <sila> “ARGH! What did they encrypt this thing with?!? Guys, I’m going to be a while. Someone search the hardcopy records!”
4:55 PM <sila> mutter mutter “-probably designed specifically to be incomprehensible to draconic mindset or something slegging stupid like that -”
4:55 PM <llewelyn>: “Is it turned on?”
4:55 PM <llewelyn> is an unhelpful Llewelyn
4:56 PM <sila> “I am NOT talking to the ROOM WIRING BY ACCIDENT Llewelyn! There’s kind of a big difference!”
4:56 PM * Ellie has, meanwhile, made her way to the records-room, probably with Vincent’s or one of the werewolves’ help.
4:56 PM <havrasti> * Llewelyn is probably lucky that she likes him :P ;)
4:56 PM <llewelyn>: “I mean, I don’t hear any fans or anything on in there… okay, look, there’s books in the other room!”
4:56 PM * Ellie scans for any small creatures to telepathically interview along the way.
4:56 PM <havrasti> “Well, I think I’ll leave you to this, Sila.”
4:56 PM <sila> mutter grumble “Is the book /open/ Llewelyn?”
4:56 PM * Havrasti will go to the physical records room to start searching there
4:57 PM <sila> “…maybe it requires a recognized hardware connection though? That’d be hidden at a different level…”
4:58 PM <ellie> !6d6: small creatures: Is anybody out there?
4:58 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “small creatures: Is anybody out there?”: (4+4+2+5+4+6). Total: 25.
4:58 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate difficulty for Ellie
4:58 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate difficulty for Ellie”: (2+3+6+1). Total: 12.
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Ellie hears a whole lot of telepathic silence, even down to the insectoid level – no rats, no mice, no bugs…
5:00 PM * Sila continues muttering imprecations and code fragments in frustration, and tries poking around for hardware interlocks she might need to subborn.
5:00 PM <ellie> “Huh, well… they kept this place really well-sealed,” she comments aloud to whoever happens to be present.
5:01 PM <havrasti> “Oh?”
5:01 PM <rkcgm> One of the French werewolves sniffs. “You’re right, I don’t smell much of anything except the humans.”
5:01 PM <ellie> “Not even an insect in the place.”
5:02 PM <llewelyn> hmms to himself.
5:02 PM <sila> “…did I just hear you say no /inscects/ Ellie?”
5:02 PM <ellie> “So… that’s interesting, at very least. But it leaves skimming books as the one remaining thing to do.”
5:02 PM <ellie> “No insects – right, Sila.”
5:02 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: Llewelyn investigates a theory (versus standard).
5:02 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn investigates a theory (versus standard).”: (1+4+5+3+1+1+1+1). Total: 17.
5:02 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: standard
5:02 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard”: (2+6+2). Total: 10.
5:02 PM <sila> “Maybe someone should check for creeping life-inimical effects…”
5:02 PM <ellie> ((Can donate red, Llewelyn))
5:03 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: try again with red
5:03 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “try again with red”: (4+6+4+3+5+5+2+3). Total: 32.
5:03 PM <ellie> !2d6: uncancelled 6
5:03 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “uncancelled 6”: (5+3). Total: 8.
5:03 PM <havrasti> ((much better))
5:04 PM <havrasti> “Wow, surprising that they’ve managed to keep this place so very clean.”
5:04 PM <llewelyn>: “Ah. You’re right. There’s a sort of insect-repellant spell that runs through the place.”
5:04 PM <ellie> “Nothing harmful to us, though, right?”
5:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Red.))
5:04 PM <sila> “Just insect repellent though? Not generally toxic if you spend too much time here?”
5:04 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s pretty low-level. I have something like it myself and keep it active most of the day.”
5:05 PM <llewelyn>: “No, too specialized. It’s a repellant, not a terminant.”
5:05 PM <sila> “Whew. OK…this place is getting my paranoia up.”
5:06 PM <havrasti> “Fortuantely, they didn’t have anything for dragons.”
5:06 PM <havrasti> “…though, maybe it’d be best not to shapeshift to full form here anyway.”
5:06 PM <sila> “…I wonder…the whole place being secure, is it possible someone /wrote down/ the admin password and left it around on a sticky note for reference…?”
5:06 PM * Ellie starts sifting through books – starting with titles, picking up and opening anything that looks interesting, etc.
5:06 PM * Sila searches for those little notes you’re never supposed to make but most people do…
5:07 PM * Havrasti also goes through books and filing cabinets and the like
5:07 PM <sila> !5d6: perception to search
5:07 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “perception to search”: (4+5+1+6+5). Total: 21.
5:07 PM <rkcgm> Ellie discovers that a lot of the books were apparently intended for light reading for the dragonhunters posted here: magazines, novels, etc. However, Ellie does find some printed binders that are labeled “Training material.”
5:08 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate for Sila
5:08 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate for Sila”: (1+3+3+3). Total: 10.
5:08 PM * Ellie begins to peruse what they considered training.
5:08 PM <rkcgm> ((I’ll get to what Sila finds in a moment.))
5:09 PM <sila> ((Sure, NP))
5:10 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: the binder you’re looking through (and which Havrasti also is able to look over your shoulder at) covers a pretty wide range of topics, beginning with “Dragons: where do they come from and why most people don’t believe in them.”
5:11 PM <rkcgm> Interestingly, this volume actually calls out the name ‘Esserea’ and notes that most dragons originate from there, rather than from Earth.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> Excerpt: “It has been understood that those dragons which come to Earth do so accidentally – through mis-manipulation of the sorcerous energies native to their home plane – or with nefarious intents.”
5:14 PM <havrasti> “Pfft, Sila is not nefarious.”
5:15 PM <ellie> “Well… they’re still interestingly well-informed.”
5:15 PM <ellie> “If, of course, rather biassed.”
5:16 PM <havrasti> “yes, I wonder where they found about all this.”
5:17 PM <rkcgm> The next chapter Ellie reads is apparently dedicated to discussing “physiology and behavior”. Havrasti recognizes that the information’s about 80% correct, which is actually a bit better than what you’d have all expected.
5:18 PM <rkcgm> As an appendix to that chapter, there is a typewriter-written report of a dragon autopsy, dated 1956.
5:19 PM <ellie> “…These people. I mean… they… did some research, I guess. But… oy. Talk about missing the point.”
5:19 PM <havrasti> “Ehhhh.”
5:19 PM <havrasti> “They’ve been around for awhile.”
5:20 PM * Havrasti reads the entry, and wonders if he’d have heard of this dragon (though 1956 is quite a bit before his hatching)
5:21 PM <ellie> “Well, so… we know from this that they’re relatively informed and have a fair bit of history to them. ‘Know your enemy,’ I guess…”
5:22 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti doesn’t recognize the dragon (nor is a name given) but based on the photos appended to the report, it was either an older juvenile or a young adult. Notably, they found two decomposing human bodies in the stomach, which the author took a great deal of time pointing out were children.
5:25 PM <havrasti> “Hrm, unpleasant all around.”
5:25 PM <ellie> “So… ’we’re so justified to be hunting down the child-eaters’…” Ellie sighs. “And yet… they had evidence on which to hang that excuse.”
5:26 PM <ellie> “Yes, unpleasant all around.”
5:28 PM * Havrasti looks around now for some more recent things
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti does also spot a sheet in one of the training binders that discusses the origins of the “Georgian Safari Club” – it was apparently founded in the early 1800s in Britain, and was named both after the king at that time, and one of the club’s chief organizers.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, back to Sila.))
5:29 PM <havrasti> “Huh, they’ve been around awhile.”
5:29 PM <rkcgm> Sila spots and riffles through what appears to be the admin’s desk, where she finds a small wire notebook with a bunch of scrawling all over it. Good luck reading it.
5:30 PM <sila> “Ugh. Lousy handwriting… /is/ this English? Wait, maybe…”
5:30 PM <llewelyn>: “Probably a legitimate club, back in their founding days. I wonder if they got into this business later.”
5:30 PM <rkcgm> Sila has a few dozen candidates for a password. Time for a brute-force attack…
5:31 PM * Sila sits down and starts trying passwords, carefully listening for anything that might be counting failures with intent to lock up.
5:31 PM * Havrasti has a sort of mocking-impersonation voice “And we’ve already got a great name for it, too.”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: opposed difficult check for Sila
5:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “opposed difficult check for Sila”: (5+6+5+3+5). Total: 24.
5:33 PM <sila> !6d6: Maybe taking out the hard drive and processing it directly would easier…
5:33 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Maybe taking out the hard drive and processing it directly would easier…”: (4+5+5+1+4+2). Total: 21.
5:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Neope.))
5:34 PM <sila> ((ya think? :P ))
5:34 PM <ellie> ((Coould offer red…))
5:35 PM <sila> (( vs. 6 5 5 5 ??))
5:35 PM <sila> ((how many coins do we want to pour into this?))
5:35 PM <rkcgm> Vincent shows up in the server room. “Are you still trying to get into that thing?”
5:35 PM <ellie> ((Well… not ideal, but all you’d need would be to get two sixes. Which… the way this has been going, but….))
5:36 PM <ellie> ((Any other coins out there that would be better?))
5:36 PM <rkcgm> ((I don’t think you should throw more coins at this.))
5:37 PM <havrasti> ((noted))
5:38 PM <sila> ((we’ll take it home and apply circumstance bonus: Sila’s Laboratory to it >: D ))
5:38 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “While you’ve been fighting this computer system, I’ve found a laptop that someone failed to log out of.”
5:39 PM <sila> "ARE YOU KIDDING <me?><rkcgm> Sila: you should probably plug it in before it runs out of battery, but otherwise it’s on, running, and /not logged out/.
5:41 PM * Sila plugs it in promptly
5:41 PM <sila> “Thanks be to God for user error.”
5:42 PM <rkcgm> Vincent turns to Ellie: “I’ve clearly become too accustomed to living a dangerous and exciting life near the edge.”
5:42 PM <sila> “Once I finally break their encryption, we should study it for potential use ourselves…”
5:43 PM * Ellie shakes her head. “That’s a different thing from being entirely insane. You were kinda close there.”
5:43 PM * Sila has a nice look at everything the user would /normally/ have access to, before attempting an inside-job attack on the admin and encryption :P
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Sila: there’s a shared drive (with some public and some private folders) and MS Outlook still running.
5:44 PM <havrasti> “Oh! Email!”
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Outlook has been helpfully set up with a contact list! With names! And people’s job titles.
5:46 PM <sila> “Well now there’s a lovely little database….where’s the file…gotcha. Copy copy copy.”
5:46 PM <havrasti> “So who all is part of this organization?”
5:46 PM * Sila reads off names and titles
5:46 PM <ellie> “…And do any of the e-mails say who they were after or where they were going?”
5:48 PM * Sila skims recent-enough subject lines for clues?
5:49 PM <rkcgm> The most recent set of emails received by this laptop’s user – who is apparently one “Sieghard Jung” – mostly revolve around getting equipment together for an emergency expedition.
5:49 PM <rkcgm> The top-most email mentions “needing to load the plane”.
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Sila remembers that folder in the shared drive about “Transportation Arrangements.”
5:52 PM <sila> “They’re taking a plane somewhere…let’s see what’s in this folder…”
5:52 PM * Sila clicks
5:53 PM <rkcgm> Meeerp. You do not have the level of access required.
5:55 PM * Sila checks the name and title of the person who /sent/ the transportation email
5:56 PM * Sila then moves to the admin’s workstation and tries to log onto the domain as that person, using her knowledge of the system’s encryption observed from using the laptop, and the trick of following the thread of code to its source and trying to see the data it is comparing input to when it determines whether a password is correct.
5:57 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: difficulty reduced due to experience
5:57 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty reduced due to experience”: (2+5+4+2). Total: 13.
5:57 PM <sila> !6d6
5:57 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (4+2+4+1+5+2). Total: 18.
5:57 PM <rkcgm> ((aha, just barely! :P))
5:58 PM <sila> “Hah…I’ve got your numbers now…”
5:59 PM <rkcgm> The mainframe “answers” Sila in a very posh British accent. “Oh I say, it’s /you/ again… got the right bits now, do you, luv?”
6:00 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Well then, I suppose if I must…/ (Access granted.)
6:00 PM <sila> [Yes, yes, I fixed my algorithm. Can I see the Transportation Arrangements now?]
6:01 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Yes yes, and I suppose you need it in a simply awful hurry, don’t you?/
6:02 PM <sila> “Anytime in the next 1000 milliseconds will be fine…”
6:02 PM <havrasti> ((woot)
6:03 PM <sila> “I swear. European programs.”
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Posh Computer: /Well let me just tell you, luv, I might have to give you access, but you’re definitely not familiar to me and I don’t intend to get familiar with you. Are you /quite/ sure I can’t interest you in a good game of Minecraft, or start downloading a collection of those ghastly /anime/ videos for your juvenile entertainments?/
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Folder access granted. Folder minimized to system tray./
6:05 PM <sila> “Your users don’t really watch anime do they? I’ll grant you that’s ghastly – ooh, Minecraft IS installed! Later.”
6:06 PM * Sila isn’t fond of cartoons where the “heroes” slay dragons :P It might have colored her view of anime.
6:07 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /User JustinQ actually has an absolutely fantastic Minecraft setup, I can highly recommend it…/
6:08 PM <sila> “All right, ladies and human readers, behold the Georgian transportation arrangements. Also, the computer tells me that user JustinQ spends an astounding amount of time in Minecraft; clearly we should check the save-world for clues, when we have some free time.”
6:09 PM <ellie> “Heh. The computer is talking with you about minecraft, is it?”
6:09 PM <sila> “It’s talking with me about users.”
6:10 PM <ellie> “Huh. Chatty thing, then?”
6:10 PM <sila> "…heh, and probably processing to itself about ‘American programmers, oy.’ "
6:10 PM <sila> “Surprisingly high-end user recognition, anyway.”
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /But only because I am forced to talk at all, since you /did/ manage to find the correct passwords, despite yourself./
6:11 PM * Sila maximizes the folder and starts checking out files
6:11 PM <sila> “It thinks I don’t feel like a regular user it seems.”
6:12 PM <sila> “…Havrasti, we haven’t found another magic-imbued computer system have we?”
6:12 PM <ellie> “Huh… smart computer.”
6:12 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Oh dear, however can you see things at such a large size – are you quite sure you wouldn’t prefer this folder minimized again?"
6:12 PM <havrasti> “Uh, not that I know of.”
6:12 PM <sila> [Don’t make me turn on your Compatibility Settings.]
6:13 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Anywho, I have spare cycles to burn on… self-maintenance. Enjoy your folder./
6:14 PM <sila> [Really? Huh. Enjoy your spare cycles, I guess. Maybe if you’re good I’ll upload some interesting images for you to peruse during next downtime.]
6:14 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /NOW RUNNING HIGH-VOLUME VIRUS SCAN! VIRUS SCAN! VIRUS SCAN! VIRUS SCAN!? /
6:15 PM <rkcgm> The folder has a set of word and excel documents relating to travel.
6:15 PM <sila> “…if we get to keep this thing for evidence, I am going to isolate it like a bloody bioweapon and study the living bits out of it.”
6:15 PM <rkcgm> Apparently, the club has their own plane, and pilots on staff, and everything.
6:15 PM <sila> “…I hope it doesn’t have a microphone plugged in.”
6:16 PM <sila> “Anyway. Club has a plane, complete with pilots etc. Here’s cargo capacity…”
6:16 PM <sila> “Let’s see…identifying info, identifying info…”
6:17 PM * Sila looks for the planes registry info, bills from Airports, etc; whatever tells where it recently was and who they will have filed a flight plan with.
6:18 PM <rkcgm> The aircraft is an Ilyushin Il-76 registered out of Moldava, with tail numbers and all sorts of that information on the books.
6:19 PM <sila> “Oh Vincent! Want to help me chase down some tail numbers, maybe pull their most recent flight plans?”
6:20 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Oui.”
6:20 PM <sila> “I rather thought you would”
6:21 PM * Sila moves the virus-scan progress window off to the side yet again.
6:21 PM <sila> “OK, here’s the data…”
6:22 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Are you sure you don’t want to see the progress I’m making on my virus scan? Users love to see that progress bar slowly fill up./
6:22 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Got it. Calling it in…”
6:22 PM <sila> [Bad processor. No images for you.]
6:23 PM <sila> [I’m sure you’ll spend at least a clock cycle processing your regret, eh? :P ]
6:23 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /And you probably call your biscuits ‘cookies’, huh?/
6:24 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Ungrateful Colonials. Don’t even want to see my progress bar…/
6:25 PM <sila> [Maybe if you didn’t accuse me of being a virus. And I suppose you call those greasy crumbs your last user left in your keyboard “crisps,” huh?]
6:26 PM * Sila flicks a bit of potato chip away from the keyboard
6:26 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /I just simply can’t believe you’d say such awful, terrible things about me, and after we’ve only known each other for so few cycles!/
6:27 PM <sila> [Oh, don’t worry, we’ll have plenty of cycles to get to know each other Much better. Whole hours, even!]
6:27 PM <havrasti> ((only a few billion cycles, a pittence :P :) ))
6:28 PM <rkcgm> Vincent calls in the information and reports back two minutes later. “The jet just refueled and took off from Tenerife, with a flight-plan filed for Havana. Fifty-eight passengers on the manifest.”
6:29 PM <ellie> “…Wow. I didn’t expect so many, even if that does fit with what we’ve seen of the base, now that you mention it.”
6:30 PM <havrasti> “That’s a lot of dragon slayers.”
6:30 PM <sila> “Ah, they’re stopping off to see the bosses first. Well…I guess we alert the Florida FAA offices to watch out for our guys. They might change planes, but we don’t have to let /theirs/ into Florida airspace.”
6:30 PM <ellie> “We’re still /assuming/ they’re going to Florida, aren’t we?”
6:30 PM * Sila blinks and self-revises, “Well, any civilized airspace.”
6:30 PM <ellie> “I mean, did we ever confirm who their target actually /was/?”
6:31 PM <llewelyn>:
6:31 PM <llewelyn>: “No, we didn’t.”
6:31 PM <sila> “Good point.”
6:31 PM <ellie> “Wasn’t any reference to their target on the computer, then?”
6:31 PM <sila> “Let’s see what else my new friend would like to cover up with a progress bar.”
6:31 PM * Sila looks over other directories.
6:32 PM <sila> [Open a new window and search for “targets”]
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /I’m sorry, I cannot oblige that request because I am spending all of my cycles processing my regret./
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /…but if you simply insist./
6:33 PM * Sila snerks, and moves the new window out from under the virus-scan progress bar
6:35 PM <rkcgm> There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of information in the Active Jobs folder, but there is a copy of a powerpoint presentation that was last used six hours ago for a briefing tool, apparently.
6:36 PM <sila> “Ooh, powerpoint! Hah, fullscreen sucker.”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Ha! This causes my progress bar to freeze and will force a rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- …/
6:38 PM <sila> [Oooh, I think this buggy compute rmight need /hardware upgrades/ what fun!]
6:38 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /-oot hello how is your day?/
6:38 PM <sila> [Just show me the slideshow, slick.]
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /What slideshow? Oh, you mean /this/ slideshow…/
6:40 PM <rkcgm> The slideshow starts again.
6:40 PM <rkcgm> ((In the background, Sila still hears Posh Computer saying “force a rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo- rebo-”.))
6:41 PM <sila> [You don’t /really/ have a virus do you? Safe mode is SO limiting, but…]
6:42 PM <rkcgm> Computer: /Gosh, no. Viruses are so very icky./
6:42 PM * Sila reads the slideshow
6:44 PM <sila> [Well you did seem too hygenic for that sort of thing, but it only takes one clueless user to expose you to something nasty, and the system seems to have such a lot of users.]
6:45 PM <rkcgm> The slideshow covers the basics, which are, in order: the group was hired to kill a water dragon known as “Pete”, no other aliases known. The dragonhunters are apparently taking this job as an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ sort of thing.
6:45 PM <sila> ((Pete is the name we were given for the FL guy, right?))
6:46 PM <havrasti> ((I believe so))
6:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Llewelyn knows him as Pedro Iglesias, but otherwise, yes.))
6:49 PM <rkcgm> The slideshow indicates that ‘Pete’ is known to be a shapeshifter and will almost certainly be encountered in any number of human forms; he additionally has human associates (names and photographs shown), and has a working knowledge of sorcery.
6:51 PM <rkcgm> The group apparently feels that he is “extremely dangerous” and is to be killed with prejudice and rockets, even if that should cause casualties among bystanders.
6:51 PM <rkcgm> Apparently, the dragonhunters are organized into three teams: Rocket Team, Rifle Team, and Arcanist Team.
6:53 PM <havrasti> O.o
6:53 PM <sila> D:
6:53 PM <havrasti> “They use rockets as standard proceedure? No wonder they have their own private plane.”
6:54 PM <ellie> “Okay, so… are their armaments likely to be legal? Might be a way to get them held up…”
6:54 PM <sila> “Can we arrange the coast guard to apply these RoEs to their airplane? I feel that would be very much safer for US citizens.”
6:55 PM <ellie> “Better to snag them up somewhere between where they are and US airspace.”
6:56 PM <sila> “…OK, but that would mean in Cuba, wouldn’t it? They don’t have a stopover in Miami scheduled, do they?”
6:56 PM <havrasti> “Does it say why they think he’s dangerous?”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Yikes – they’ve got customized Igla rockets. That’s serious hardware.”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “And they said they were flying into Havana.”
6:58 PM <ellie> “…Okay, so… at this stage, we get ahold of Pete and tell him to get out.”
6:59 PM <ellie> “THEN we go try and stop these guys.”
6:59 PM <llewelyn>: “We can beat them across the Atlantic.”
7:00 PM <ellie> “That, too. But it’s not like we can leave too large a margin of safety for their target.”
7:00 PM <sila> “That’s a good point. I can probably even … unmoor this place, and re-attach it somewhere secure over there, now that I know what I’m doing. As long as we get it re-anchored before they get to solid ground, they won’t be able to steal it back.”
7:01 PM <ellie> “So… unless you think you can wrangle any other useful information out of that computer, it’s sounding to me like it might be time to go.”
7:01 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “If you want it, it’s yours.”
7:02 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “It would be fun to have my own pocket world, of course, but since my talents don’t lie that direction, I can’t really contest you for it.”
7:02 PM <havrasti> “This place is more like a piece of evidence than a prize to claim.”
7:03 PM <ellie> “Right now it’s a piece of evidence. Its usefulness will outlive that role, though.”
7:03 PM <sila> “Well, somebody needs to keep an eye on it until we’ve gotten all the main evidence out, too.”
7:04 PM <ellie> “Its long-term fate, however, isn’t at all relevant to the main mission at this point.”
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Vincent shrugs.
7:04 PM <sila> “Yeah right now, let’s clear out and move back states-side. You want to come observe, Vincent?”
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Before you go ‘un-mooring’ it, my troops will want to get off.”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Well…”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Vincent appears undecided.
7:05 PM <havrasti> “Do they want to go back to the dusty desert, or back to the states? :P :)”
7:06 PM <sila> “Well, we all have to go via the desert, I can’t unmoor it from inside.”
7:06 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “We have helicopters outside, and if they take them, they’ll be home before dinnertime.”
7:06 PM <rkcgm> French werewolf: “Dinner? Did I hear someone mention ‘dinner’?”
7:07 PM * Havrasti chuckles
7:07 PM <rkcgm> Two more werewolves trot into the room. “Dinner?”
7:07 PM <ellie> “Okay, so back to the desert first. Then on to the US for anyone who’s coming. I doubt we’d complain of your help if you wanted to come, Vincent, but if you’re not able to, that’s fine.”
7:08 PM <sila> [OK, I’m logging off for now. Enjoy your free cycles; next time we talk I’ll be free to give you my Full Attention.]
7:08 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “The curiosity is going to kill me, but I… uh, I actually have someplace I need to be tonight. If I can.”
7:09 PM <llewelyn> says nothing.
7:09 PM <ellie> “Okay. Well, that’s up to you.”
7:09 PM <rkcgm> Posh Computer: /I quiver with every moment of anticipation./
7:12 PM <sila> “Well, you’re fancy dress gig seems to be up – time for someone else to take a turn, really, so you’re off the hook if you want to be.”
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Vincent: “Let me know how it goes – and call me if you need help. Just remember the time-zone difference.”
7:14 PM <sila> “Heh, we’ll try, though trouble rarely respects timeclocks.”
7:15 PM <ellie> "Okay, so all the French head home, and all of us head to the US to stop some hunters.
7:15 PM <rkcgm> Exeunt Vincent and his French troops, as well as Luke+Jordan and the Safeguard mages.
7:16 PM <havrasti> “Seems like.”
7:16 PM * Sila herds out the rest of our team, too.
7:16 PM <sila> “Come on guys, shake a leg. I don’t want this thing floating around unmoored to any complete realities with people inside it!”
7:17 PM <llewelyn> stops in the ‘great hall’ and looks around, as if he’s thinking he missed something… then he runs back into the records room / library and comes back with the training binder and another book.
7:18 PM <sila> “Just in case?”
7:18 PM <havrasti> “Might as well take what we can carry?”
7:19 PM <llewelyn>: “I saw reviews of this book on Bestreads, so I figured I’d give it a try.”
7:20 PM <ellie> “Heh.”
7:20 PM <havrasti> “…”
7:20 PM <sila> “…seriously? You couldn’t wait 15 minutes for me to reanchor it somewhere safe?”
7:20 PM <llewelyn>: “We all have our priorities.”
7:20 PM * Sila pauses to unload the killing-zone weapons (if it hasn’t already been done) on her way out though.
7:21 PM <havrasti> (there werewolf team probably would have taken care of those)
7:22 PM <sila> “OK, all clear?”
7:23 PM <llewelyn>: “Clear.”
7:23 PM * Sila unmoors the pocket world again
7:25 PM <sila> “OK, step one, cast the base adrift; step two, back to the states.”
7:27 PM <llewelyn> reviews the training binder while he waits for Sila.
7:28 PM <llewelyn>: “Hm. ’How to set an odor trap to attract dragons.”
7:28 PM * Sila spins open the portal to the DEAR garage.
7:28 PM <sila> “Come on, read it to us /after/ we alert Pete and the FAA.”
7:28 PM <havrasti> “Bacon or dragoness scent.”
7:29 PM * Sila gets everyone through and unweaves the temporary DEAR – Morocco portal
7:29 PM <sila> “I’m gonna attach this to that closet in our office, for now. It’ll give us easy access to the evidence.”
7:29 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s neither, actually. Spices and some other things… anyway.”
7:31 PM * Ellie surreptitiously moves the giant tuck to stand guard….
7:32 PM <llewelyn> nearly trips on the duck.
7:32 PM <ellie> giant duck
7:32 PM <havrasti> “Huh, what are they? How do they work?”
7:33 PM <llewelyn>: “Burning a mix of cinnamon and paprika mixed with aluminum filings for fuel. Apparently, Havrasti, you will find that irresistible.”
7:40 PM <havrasti> “Huh, interesting.”
7:41 PM <havrasti> “We should probably find out how exactly in a controlled situation.”
7:42 PM <llewelyn>: “Might be worthwhile to experiment – on our own time.”
7:45 PM <havrasti> “Easy enough to do, as you can get those from a grocery store.”
7:46 PM <sila> “Horrifyingly easy.”
7:47 PM <sila> “I hope this is something we can train resistance to, or learn to recognize as suspicious.”
7:48 PM * Sila tests the door of her newly anchored pocket-evidence-locker
7:50 PM <rkcgm> The door opens successfully into the pocket world.
7:50 PM <sila> “I sincerely hope that sometime after we keep these guys from killing US citizens, we have an opportunity to troll our coworkers reguarding the status of our duck-defended office closet here. For now, though, I believe the evidence is secure – let’s move.”
7:51 PM <ellie> “Okay, mission success. Or at least, Mission 1, success. With a quick necessary shift to Mission 2.”
7:51 PM <sila> “Does our case file have a phone number for Pete? Or do your immigrant check-in files have it, Llewelyn?”
7:52 PM <llewelyn> is already at his computer looking it up.
7:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Yeah, got it.”
7:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Call, or visit?”
7:53 PM <sila> “Call first, visit somewhere secure. Like, no place he usually frequents. Maybe portal him up here?”
7:53 PM <llewelyn>: “I suppose we can do that.”
7:53 PM <llewelyn> dials the number.
7:54 PM * Sila whispers, “Speaker phone?”
7:55 PM <llewelyn> hunts for and eventually finds the speaker-phone button, right as someone answers.
7:56 PM * Havrasti waits for Llewelyn to start the introductions
7:57 PM <rkcgm> Woman’s voice: “Casa Havana, this is Jacinta speaking. How may I help you?”
7:57 PM <llewelyn>: “Jacinta, I’m trying to contact Pedro Iglesias, and it rang through to this number?”
7:58 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Yes sir; the manager is on vacation this next week. I am answering his business phone.”
7:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Oh… I thought this was his personal cell phone. Can you give me his updated number?”
7:59 PM * Sila tries to recall if “Jacinta” was one of the listed aliases?
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “No sir, he asked me not to provide it to anyone.”
8:00 PM <sila> “Naturally not…this is a bit of an emergency, however.”
8:00 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti will remember that ‘Jacinta’ is in fact on the list of known associates: human female, born in Cuba, political refugee.))
8:00 PM <havrasti> ((associates of Pete?))
8:00 PM <ellie> “More than an emergency; a matter of life and death. If you can’t give out his number, can you call him yourself and ask him to call us back?”
8:00 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I’m sorry, ma’am, he asked me not to give his personal number out to anyone.”
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “No ma’am. He’s on vacation.”
8:01 PM <ellie> “Do you want your employer to die? If not, you will contact him.”
8:01 PM * Ellie doesn’t sound angry, but very serious.
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Pause
8:01 PM <sila> “Ellie, please. We haven’t even identified ourselves.”
8:02 PM <ellie> “It doesn’t matter. It’s the truth.”
8:02 PM <sila> “Well yeah, but imagine if someone called you and said that. I mean…back before you started working here.”
8:02 PM <havrasti> “That sounds more reasonable if we’re identified.”
8:02 PM * Ellie telepathies to Sila AND Havrasti /SPEAKERPHONE. I don’t care if it sounds silly. Don’t undermine me./
8:03 PM <llewelyn>: “Jacinta, I believe we’ve met before – I’m the guy who comes in to visit Pedro every year or so to discuss his past immigration status.”
8:03 PM <sila> (t) /Yes, speakerphone; you sound like a crank caller. Where’d I put that FBI identification…?/
8:04 PM * Ellie replies, /Still don’t undermine. Which is what you were doing./
8:04 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Oh, okay – I remember you. From DEAR.”
8:04 PM * Sila stops rummaging for her FBI credentials
8:04 PM * Ellie contines, /I’d gotten her attention. After she answered, that would’ve been the time to do damage control if needed. Rather than doing more damage./
8:04 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “But I’m sorry, sir. Pedro is on vacation and doesn’t have any regular communication at the present time.”
8:05 PM <sila> (t) /it’s not damaging to admit that we sound strange spouting strange things…oh sleg, now what are we goign to do?/
8:05 PM <llewelyn> pauses and slowly facepalms. “Jacinta, he didn’t sneak into CUBA by chance, did he?”
8:05 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: …Long silence.
8:06 PM <sila> “Oh please no.”
8:06 PM <sila> “That’s where the…murderers…are heading.”
8:06 PM * Ellie clams up, but is aggravated all the way around.
8:07 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “…perhaps we shouldn’t talk on the phone. Please come in person and ask to speak to me.”
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
5:45 PM <brock> Last time, you discovered that one of DEAR’s charges, a refugee dragon who goes by the name ‘Pedro Iglesias’, has travelled surreptitiously to Cuba…
5:45 PM <brock> …where a band of dragonslayers, hired by the Cuban government, are currently setting up shop.
5:47 PM <havrasti> “Alright, so are we heading out immediately?”
5:47 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Heading out to… Cuba?”
5:48 PM <havrasti> “Seems to be where things are happening. Did you have something else in mind?”
5:48 PM <sila> “Well, At least to Florida…though, if he’s already inside Cuban territory I’m not sure what we can legally do?”
5:50 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “I’m pretty sure if we just plunge straight into Cuba, we might end up getting labeled ‘rogue agents’.”
5:50 PM <havrasti> “Ok then, so what can we do?”
5:51 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Well, perhaps we need to take this to Douglas before we just charge off our own direction, right?”
5:51 PM <ellie> “That sounds like a plan.”
5:54 PM <brock> Llewelyn heads for Douglas’s office in order to brief him on the new information.
5:54 PM * Ellie follows along.
5:55 PM * Sila nudges the duck an inch closer to the new “evidence” door and follows
5:56 PM <brock> Douglas and Hickory are reviewing some file folders of information when you arrive in the office. “What did you find in Morocco?”
5:56 PM <sila> “A pocket universe. It is now attached to our office closet.”
5:57 PM <brock> Douglas glances toward Hickory. “So we should make sure the cleaning staff knows where to stop, I guess.”
5:58 PM <brock> Douglas: “What about the dragonhunters?”
5:58 PM <havrasti> “They’re on the way/in to Cuba.”
5:58 PM <ellie> “They had already gone by the time we arrived.”
5:59 PM <brock> Douglas: “So we missed them completely. That’s unfortunate.”
5:59 PM <brock> Douglas: “What’s their firepower like?”
5:59 PM <ellie> “We did confirm that Pedro is their target.”
5:59 PM <havrasti> “Rifles, rockets, mages are their squads.”
5:59 PM <ellie> “And they were going in… supremely prepared. Lots of manpower.”
6:00 PM <havrasti> ((feel free to auto-correct Havrasti’s statements if the player remembers wrong :P ))
6:00 PM <brock> ((Nope, you’re right.))
6:01 PM <brock> Douglas: “Well then… we’ll need to make sure they don’t get into the US, and we’ll need to alert Pete and get him moved to a secure location.”
6:01 PM <sila> "Their stated operating proceedure includes a note that innocent bystanders are fair game
6:01 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Um, about that, boss…”
6:01 PM <ellie> “…Yeah…”
6:02 PM <ellie> “Almost gotta wonder whether they didn’t have a lure set up for him. He apparently just left… for Cuba… right where the hit squad is headed.”
6:02 PM <sila> “We don’t know if it’s /right/ where they’re headed.”
6:02 PM <ellie> “Or, well. I don’t know about ‘just left’. But in any case, he’s there, not here.”
6:02 PM <ellie> “Close enough for these purposes, unfortunately.”
6:03 PM <sila> “True that.”
6:03 PM <brock> Douglas: “Pete left… FOR CUBA?”
6:03 PM <brock> Douglas: “That’s barking madness!”
6:04 PM <sila> “Technically, when Llewelyn asked his secretary, she said ‘maybe we shouldn’t talk on the phone’ rather than Yes, but…if the answer was No, then why bother, right?”
6:05 PM <brock> Douglas: “Hickory, please headdesk for me…”
6:05 PM <brock> Hickory facepalms instead.
6:05 PM <ellie> “I think all of us covered some range of that sentiment, as well.”
6:06 PM <brock> Douglas: “…so, this changes things.”
6:06 PM <brock> Douglas: “I’m not ready to write Pete off, but if we’re going to help him, we need information on where he went.”
6:07 PM <sila> “Permission to open a portal to Florida boss?”
6:07 PM <brock> Douglas: “Permission granted. In the meantime, I’ll make some emergency calls to see what I’m permitted to do.”
6:08 PM <sila> “OK, we’ll check in as soon as we have anything useful to tell you then.”
6:09 PM <brock> Douglas nods, and Hickory reaches for the phone.
6:10 PM * Ellie makes to follow along with the others to wherever we’re going to portal from.
6:11 PM * Havrasti follows Sila to the portal room
6:11 PM <sila> ((you mean the garage? :P ))
6:12 PM <havrasti> ((whichever room you make the portal in is the portal room :P ;) ))
6:12 PM * Sila gets more detailed directions from Llewelyn so she can open the portal in the right /part/ of Florida ;)
6:12 PM <brock> Llewelyn gives Sila directions to a restaurant-bar in the Cuban part of downtown Miami.
6:13 PM <sila> “OK, gentlebeings, watch your step. Don’t run down any waitstaff, we’re kind of in the back room. I think. Maybe it’s the cooler?”
6:13 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Looks like the winecellar.”
6:14 PM * Ellie will follow Llewelyn through.
6:14 PM <brock> Llewelyn leaves his nifty rifle at DEAR, but takes his staff.
6:14 PM <sila> "Ah, that makes sense. I’m just glad I achieved “not the main dining room” under the circumstances."
6:15 PM * Havrasti has a hand gun and his velcro/snap button suit
6:15 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “That could’ve been awkward, yes.”
6:15 PM * Ellie is, as usual, armed with herself and her allies. Sila still hasn’t quite gotten her comfortable with carrying a gun. :-p
6:16 PM * Sila still has what she took to Morocco; it’s not exactly time to change gear :P
6:18 PM <brock> The winecellar is cool, wood-paneled, and filled with wine. There is a latched door heading out. It’s locked.
6:19 PM <havrasti> “Shall we knock?”
6:19 PM <ellie> Mmm… Llewelyn, is this place where that guy’s secretary is?
6:19 PM <sila> “That won’t freak anyone out… but sure, it beats breaking things.”
6:19 PM <ellie> Or why did we come exactly here?"
6:19 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Yes, her office is right around the corner.”
6:20 PM <brock> Llewelyn just waves a hand at the door, since it’s a simple (non-magical) lock.
6:20 PM <brock> !8d6: entering, but not breaking (vs standard)
6:20 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “entering, but not breaking (vs standard)”: (1+2+3+6+5+1+5+5). Total: 28.
6:20 PM <brock> !3d6: versus
6:20 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus”: (3+4+5). Total: 12.
6:20 PM <brock> Llewelyn opens the door.
6:21 PM * Havrasti walks out (and not expecting any trouble more serious than a startled employee)
6:22 PM <sila> (technically, we are exiting, not entering :P ))
6:22 PM <brock> The restaurant seems quiet (which it ought to be, since it’s not even lunchtime yet).
6:22 PM * Ellie will follow whenever Llewelyn leaves.
6:24 PM * Sila follows Llewelyn, since he knows which office to head for.
6:25 PM <brock> Llewelyn turns right and taps on the office door.
6:25 PM <brock> The sign by the door says “Jacinta Saralegui / Assistant Manager”.
6:26 PM <brock> Llewelyn: “Miss Saralegui, I… oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you had visitors.”
6:26 PM <brock> …there are two large men sitting or standing in the office, with Jacinta sitting behind her desk.
6:26 PM * Ellie is immediately suspicious, and does a telepathy scan to assess the situation. (Are the visitors friendly or hostile; what is the secretary’s state of mind, etc.)
6:27 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy magic
6:27 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy magic”: (1+2+1+6+3+2). Total: 15.
6:27 PM <brock> !4d6: versus roll
6:27 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (2+3+2+1). Total: 8.
6:27 PM <brock> …yeeees.
6:29 PM <brock> Jacinta is not showing that she has a pistol in her lap (it is invisible underneath the desk), and is very worried she may have to use it. The two guests, by contrast, have no guns whatsoever, and they are here to extract information via hostile takeover.
6:30 PM <sila> ((hostile takeover…they’re buying the restraunt???))
6:30 PM * Ellie telepathically warns Llewelyn, Sila, and Havrasti in turn what the situation is.
6:31 PM <brock> Taller of the two guests: “If you’ll just give us a few moments, sir…”
6:32 PM <brock> Shorter of the two ‘guests’: “Hostile mage.”
6:32 PM <brock> ((Roll speed.))
6:32 PM <sila> Ellie catches Sila thinking how useful an FBI badge could be right now…
6:32 PM <sila> !5d6
6:32 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “5d6”: (3+4+6+6+4). Total: 23.
6:32 PM <brock> ((Crit.))
6:32 PM <ellie> !5d6: speed
6:32 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “speed”: (2+1+4+5+5). Total: 17.
6:32 PM <brock> ((Roll 2d6))
6:33 PM <sila> !2d6
6:33 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “2d6”: (4+4). Total: 8.
6:33 PM <ellie> ((Llewelyn ought to have a badge of some sort. :-p ))
6:33 PM <brock> !4d6: Llewelyn’s speed
6:33 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “Llewelyn’s speed”: (4+2+5+4). Total: 15.
6:33 PM <brock> ((Red for Sila.))
6:34 PM <brock> !4d6: Guests speed
6:34 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “Guests speed”: (4+1+5+3). Total: 13.
6:35 PM <brock> ((Havrasti?))
6:35 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : Speed
6:35 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Speed”: (5+5+3+1). Total: 14.
6:36 PM <brock> Sila, Ellie, Havrasti, Llewelyn, Dragonhunters
6:36 PM <brock> SILA
6:39 PM * Sila pins the limbs of the taller guy together
6:39 PM <brock> ((How, magic?))
6:39 PM <sila> ((that’s the plan.))
6:40 PM <brock> !6d6: versus very difficult
6:40 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus very difficult”: (4+6+2+2+4+4). Total: 22.
6:40 PM <sila> ((force-cuffs!))
6:40 PM <sila> !6d6
6:40 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (6+6+1+5+2+1). Total: 21.
6:40 PM <brock> ((Success.))
6:40 PM <brock> ELLIE
6:40 PM <sila> “If you insist, buddy.”
6:42 PM * Ellie decides upon a similar plan with the shorter gentleman, only she does so by animating his clothing to try and tie him up.
6:42 PM <ellie> !6d6: animation
6:42 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “animation”: (6+5+1+4+2+2). Total: 20.
6:42 PM <brock> !6d6: versus roll
6:42 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (3+5+6+3+4+2). Total: 23.
6:43 PM <ellie> ((We have a green or blue anywhere?))
6:43 PM <brock> ((Party blue.))
6:44 PM <ellie> ((I’ll sue party blue. Keeping 6,5,4,1; re-rolling 2s))
6:44 PM <ellie> !2d6: re-roll
6:44 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “re-roll”: (4+2). Total: 6.
6:45 PM <havrasti> ((good enough))
6:45 PM <brock> The cuffs of shorty’s shirt and pants sleeves weave together.
6:46 PM <brock> HAVRASTI
6:47 PM * Havrasti moves around to get behind the two men and secure shorty’s arms, “You seem to be disturbing this lady, perhaps you should stand down.”
6:48 PM <havrasti> ((trying to be intimidating as well; should I roll something?))
6:48 PM <brock> ((Charisma if you’re trying to be intimidating.))
6:49 PM <havrasti> !3d6 : not very charistmatic, but has intimidate skill :P
6:49 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “not very charistmatic, but has intimidate skill :P”: (4+6+5). Total: 15.
6:49 PM <brock> !5d6: these guys do intimidating, so you’re going have to be credible
6:49 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “these guys do intimidating, so you’re going have to be credible”: (3+4+6+2+1). Total: 16.
6:49 PM <brock> ((Aaand you credible.))
6:49 PM <havrasti> ((hehehehe))
6:49 PM <sila> ((it might have something to do with already being unable to move their arms and legs properly :P :P ))
6:50 PM <brock> LLEWELYN
6:50 PM <ellie> ((Circumstance bonus? ;-) ))
6:50 PM <havrasti> ((that probably helps))
6:51 PM <brock> Llewelyn casts a bluish defensive shield-sphere around everyone that he can (although Havrasti is too close to Shorty to be covered).
6:51 PM <brock> THUGS
6:52 PM <brock> !8d6: forgot to roll, versus intermediate
6:52 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “forgot to roll, versus intermediate”: (4+5+5+1+1+3+3+1). Total: 23.
6:52 PM <brock> !4d6: intermediate
6:52 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “intermediate”: (4+2+2+4). Total: 12.
6:52 PM <brock> ((Making a note here – lukewarm success.))
6:52 PM <havrasti> ((but a success))
6:55 PM <brock> Dark’n’Looming turns towards Sila, noting that she was the one who attacked him, and he… turns into a spectral mist and launches straight at Sila.
6:55 PM <sila> “Ack! Speak of hostile mages!”
6:56 PM <brock> …and runs into Llewelyn’s defensive shield, which flares brightly and back-flashes. The shield collapses and Dark’n’Looming’s spectral form appears to recoil.
6:57 PM <brock> Shorty tests his strength against Havrasti, trying to pin him against the wall.
6:58 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + Wrestling
6:58 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling”: (2+3+2+1+2+4+5). Total: 19.
6:58 PM <brock> !8d6: strength
6:58 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “strength”: (5+4+6+4+2+5+3+1). Total: 30.
6:58 PM <havrasti> ((booo :P ))
6:58 PM <brock> Havrasti – roll intelligence or notice, whichever you prefer.
6:58 PM <havrasti> ((imma use a green, keeping the 5))
6:58 PM <havrasti> !6d6 : reroll
6:58 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “reroll”: (2+6+3+1+2+5). Total: 19.
6:59 PM <brock> ((You still don’t beat it.))
6:59 PM <havrasti> ((drat))
6:59 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
6:59 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (1+1+1+3+3). Total: 9.
6:59 PM <brock> !3d6: versus roll for Havrasti’s int/notice
6:59 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll for Havrasti’s int/notice”: (1+4+1). Total: 6.
6:59 PM <havrasti> ((anyone have a spare red? :P))
7:00 PM <ellie> ((I can donate a red))
7:00 PM <sila> ((I do))
7:00 PM <havrasti> ((Ellie was first))
7:00 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
7:00 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (1+4+6+2+1). Total: 14.
7:00 PM <sila> ((or I can attack him direcly on me next turn))
7:01 PM <sila> ((oh wait, perception roll. NM))
7:03 PM <brock> Havrasti: the moment Shorty starts moving, you get the impression that he’s manipulating his weight. It feels like you’re trying to move a piece of furniture, not a man.
7:04 PM <havrasti> “Dratted mages.”
7:04 PM <brock> SILA!
7:04 PM <ellie> ((Something of a double-standard there? ;-) ))
7:05 PM * Sila installs a small forcefield shorty’s windpipe. She will remove it when he’s unconscious.
7:06 PM <ellie> ((Brock will brb))
7:06 PM <sila> !6d6: choke on this. No, I mean literally…
7:06 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “choke on this. No, I mean literally…”: (1+6+3+2+3+4). Total: 19.
7:08 PM <brock> !6d6: very difficult opposed check
7:08 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “very difficult opposed check”: (3+5+5+6+5+4). Total: 28.
7:08 PM <brock> ((Sila, roll perception or intelligence))
7:08 PM <sila> !6d6
7:08 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (4+6+1+1+1+6). Total: 19.
7:09 PM <brock> !4d6: versus for perception
7:09 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus for perception”: (5+3+2+4). Total: 14.
7:10 PM <brock> Sila, you easily determine that both of these mages were actively running some sort of magical defense even before you arrived in the room. They were prepared to face a mage (or two, but probably not three)…
7:11 PM <brock> ((Do you want to leave that roll stand, by the way?))
7:12 PM <sila> ((the actual magic roll? I think probably not…))
7:12 PM <sila> ((can I snag a green, or even a blue?))
7:12 PM <havrasti> ((have a green))
7:12 PM <sila> !5d6: keeping 6
7:12 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “keeping 6”: (4+4+3+3+1). Total: 15.
7:13 PM <havrasti> ((booo))
7:14 PM <sila> ((hmm. what do you guys think, should I keep trying?))
7:14 PM <ellie> ((What coins do we have available? In this case, I’m not sure…)
7:15 PM <sila> ((well I have a red, but I’d need to roll two 6s…and then of course I have my silver and gold…))
7:15 PM <ellie> ((Mmm… maybe let it slide this time….))
7:15 PM <havrasti> ((maybe))
7:16 PM <sila> ((OK, chalking it up to a learning experience then :P ))
7:16 PM <sila> “Huh. Not often we meet people prepared for hostile mages around here.”
7:16 PM <brock> ELLIE!
7:19 PM * Ellie decides that there’s probably not much she can do about shorty as he grapples with Havrasti. However, she wonders what a lightburst might do to misty-guy’s form…
7:19 PM <ellie> !6d6: Concentrating lots and LOTS of light around a misty cloud form
7:19 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Concentrating lots and LOTS of light around a misty cloud form”: (2+6+3+6+2+6). Total: 25.
7:19 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
7:19 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (3+5). Total: 8.
7:19 PM <brock> !6d6: versus roll
7:19 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (2+2+1+5+3+3). Total: 16.
7:20 PM <brock> Everyone else but Ellie, roll stamina
7:21 PM <brock> !5d6: Spectre’s stamina
7:21 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “Spectre’s stamina”: (2+3+6+2+1). Total: 14.
7:21 PM <brock> !!4d6: versus roll for everyone’s stamina
7:21 PM <brock> !4d6: versus roll
7:21 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (3+1+1+2). Total: 7.
7:21 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Stamina
7:21 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Stamina”: (6+4+2+3+6). Total: 21.
7:21 PM <sila> !4d6
7:21 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “4d6”: (5+3+2+2). Total: 12.
7:21 PM <brock> !3d6: Llewelyn’s stamina
7:22 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “Llewelyn’s stamina”: (6+2+5). Total: 13.
7:22 PM <havrasti> !2d6 : crit coin
7:22 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “crit coin”: (5+2). Total: 7.
7:22 PM <brock> ((Okay then.))
7:22 PM <havrasti> (if stamina rolls count)
7:22 PM <brock> ((Red for Havrasti.))
7:25 PM <brock> Ellie’s light-burst is super-effective, and has very clearly disoriented the target. However, it has a completely unintended side-effect, because one of the two defensive buffs on Dark’n’Looming’s person is an effect which /Reflects Magical Attacks/.
7:26 PM <brock> Fortunately, all of you managed to avert your eyes before you were blinded, but that definitely lit up the room.
7:26 PM <ellie> “Umm… oops.”
7:26 PM * Ellie murmurs quietly. :-p
7:27 PM <brock> HAVRASTI
7:28 PM * Havrasti tries to get unpinned and knock the guy down
7:29 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + Wrestling
7:29 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling”: (4+3+5+2+2+1+5). Total: 22.
7:29 PM <brock> !8d6: resistance to that plan
7:29 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “resistance to that plan”: (6+6+6+6+4+3+4+4). Total: 39.
7:29 PM <brock> ((Oh, um.))
7:29 PM <havrasti> ((… ……….))
7:30 PM <sila> ((sometimes you just have to look at the dice and LOL.))
7:30 PM <havrasti> ((“LOOK OVER THERE!! A THREE-HEADED MONKEY!!” * swaps the rolls around * ))
7:30 PM <ellie> ((So… I have a red I could donate to a GM re-roll, but…))
7:30 PM <brock> ((Huh? I HATE monkeys! Where’s my FAL…))
7:30 PM <brock> ((BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. There, solved…))
7:31 PM <brock> ((Llewelyn also donates a blue to the cause.))
7:31 PM <brock> !8d6: GM re-roll
7:31 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “GM re-roll”: (5+1+4+2+2+5+6+3). Total: 28.
7:31 PM <havrasti> ((ok, and maybe a red for my own roll))
7:31 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + Wrestling
7:31 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling”: (3+6+5+4+2+5+4). Total: 29.
7:31 PM <havrasti> ((haha!))
7:31 PM <havrasti> ((65544 vs 65543))
7:33 PM <brock> Havrasti nearly makes an injurious mistake, but manages to manhandle Shorty just a bit in order to keep him somewhat pinned in place.
7:33 PM <brock> LLEWELYN!
7:36 PM <brock> Llewelyn casts an advanced dismissal spell on Shorty, trying to take off all of the personal effect spells on himself and his clothing.
7:36 PM <brock> !8d6: dismissal versus very difficult
7:36 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “dismissal versus very difficult”: (1+6+1+6+3+6+6+5). Total: 34.
7:36 PM <brock> !6d6: versus very difficult
7:36 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus very difficult”: (2+2+5+1+4+5). Total: 19.
7:36 PM <brock> !2d6: crit coin
7:36 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “crit coin”: (5+4). Total: 9.
7:37 PM <brock> ((Green.))
7:38 PM <brock> Llewelyn completely and totally /demolishes/ all of Shorty’s magical safeguards, leaving him completely vulnerable.
7:39 PM <brock> Havrasti, as you’re struggling, it feels like Shorty just lost five hundred pounds of muscle.
7:39 PM <brock> THUGS!
7:40 PM <brock> Dark’n’Looming is dazed and mildly burnt by Ellie’s blinding light attack; he has no actions aside from reeling around in agony.
7:43 PM <brock> Shorty panics. “No! No, I can’t be taken alive! Let me go, let me go!”
7:44 PM <sila> “Why on Earth not?”
7:44 PM <brock> Shorty is still grappled with Havrasti, but tries to turn spectral as well.
7:44 PM <brock> !6d6: magic versus difficult
7:44 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “magic versus difficult”: (6+3+2+6+2+2). Total: 21.
7:44 PM <brock> !5d6: versus roll
7:44 PM <painbot> [Brock] rolled “versus roll”: (4+2+5+4+2). Total: 17.
7:45 PM <brock> Shorty turns spectral, and his ethereal form starts to eel out of Havrasti’s grasp.
7:45 PM <ellie> "Seriously… I mean, we’re pretty determined to oppose you, but we’re not *that
bad…"
7:45 PM * Havrasti grasps at mists
7:46 PM <brock> ((You have until his next action to try to contain him, otherwise he’s going try to get out of the room via the air ducts.))
7:46 PM <brock> SILA!
7:46 PM <sila> (( D: ))
7:47 PM <sila> ((I have to leave after this turn…))
7:47 PM * Sila has had enough of this sapient weather effect stuff
7:47 PM <sila> “Sorry about this, Jacinta…”
7:47 PM <brock> ((Oh – do we want to pause here?))
7:48 PM <brock> ((Let’s do that, it’s the top of init.))
7:48 PM * Sila waves her arms in a swirling motion, and generates a wind vortex, forcing anything wind-blowable into the center of the room.
7:48 PM <sila> ((roll for it next time, then?))
7:48 PM <brock> ((Sure.))
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:50 PM <rkcgm> You traveled by portal to Miami to a Cuban restaurant owned by ‘Pedro Iglesias’, an Esserean-dragon-refugee-posing-as-a-Cuban-refugee who is being hunted by a large and heavily-armed group of dragonhunters hired by the Cuban government.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Currently, Pedro himself appears to be absent, and the evidence indicates that he has gone to Cuba, just like the dragonhunters. Isn’t that just lovely.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Arriving in Miami to investigate, you found Pedro’s assistant, the lovely and capable Jacinta, behind her desk with two thugs attempting to intimidate her.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Said thugs then attempted to attack you, and while you have gained the upper hand, they have given you a bit of trouble so far.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti tackled Shorty in the expectation of subduing him, but Shorty proved to have the strength of a dozen bulldozers. Meanwhile, Tall-Dark-and-Ugly used magic on the rest of you.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Fortunately, Llewelyn had a force defense sphere active and then dominated the pair’s magic defenses. Tall-Dark-and-Ugly is blinded by Sila, while the massively weakened Shorty turned ethereal and is attempting to escape Havrasti’s grip, shouting that he can’t be taken alive.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Initiative is active – it is SILA’s turn.
4:50 PM <rkcgm> SILA
4:56 PM * Sila attempts to capture short and smoky in a force bubble
4:57 PM <rkcgm> ((He’s still grappling with Havrasti, IIRC.))
4:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorta.))
4:57 PM <sila> ((Oh, I thought he was fleeing. Oh! I think I remember what I was going to do before.))
4:58 PM <rkcgm> (( 7:48 PM * Sila waves her arms in a swirling motion, and generates a wind vortex, forcing anything wind-blowable into the center of the room. ))
4:58 PM <rkcgm> ((If that helps.))
4:58 PM <sila> Yes, that.
4:58 PM <sila> "Sorry about this Jacinta…
4:59 PM <sila> !6d6: if you’re form works at all like smoke, you’re going to be stuck in the center; also very uncomfortable
4:59 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “if you’re form works at all like smoke, you’re going to be stuck in the center; also very uncomfortable”: (2+5+1+6+1+3). Total: 18.
4:59 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: standard difficulty
4:59 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard difficulty”: (3+5+2). Total: 10.
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Sila sees success, as Shorty is vacuumed up into a hazy howling mini-hurricane in the middle of the room.
5:01 PM <ellie> “Honestly, we’re not that bad,” Ellie mutters in response to the villain’s declaration that he can’t be taken alive.
5:02 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry, had to hunt for who was next in line. Init order is Sila, Ellie, Havrasti, Llewelyn, Dragonhunters.))
5:02 PM <rkcgm> ELLIE!
5:03 PM <sila> “Who says it’s us he’s afraid of, Ellie?”
5:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Dark’n’Looming is also spectral, but disoriented by Ellie’s flash of light.))
5:04 PM * Ellie decides to find out what these guys are afraid of.
5:04 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy – What makes these guys tick… or at least try to flee rather than be captured?
5:04 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy – What makes these guys tick… or at least try to flee rather than be captured?”: (6+3+6+2+5+1). Total: 23.
5:05 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate
5:05 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate”: (4+1+4+3). Total: 12.
5:08 PM <rkcgm> Ellie determines very quickly that Shorty and Dark’n’Looming both are under orders not to be caught, and their controller is apparently of the Fail-Me-And-Die command school.
5:09 PM <sila> ((thought so))
5:09 PM <ellie> Can she dig any more? Such as, to find out whether they’d surrender if we offered them sanctuary?
5:11 PM <rkcgm> ((Answer: they might surrender if you offered them sanctuary, but not if they knew two party members were dragons.))
5:12 PM <sila> ((Do they know or suspect we are dragons?))
5:12 PM <ellie> One further question: does she have any impression of whether they can sense her telepathic digging? I kinda think I remember them twitching into battle in the first place when she was checking their intentions, though I could be mis-remembering…
5:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Ellie doesn’t know the answer to that question. If they did originally, then they probably can’t sense it now.))
5:13 PM <rkcgm> ((As for Sila’s question, I’d roll dice to decide that.))
5:14 PM * Ellie decides to risk a telepathic question to the others, /They might surrender if we offered sanctuary. But… they seem rather convinced on the dragons-are-bad thing…/ Ellie hopes the others get the coded message.
5:14 PM * Ellie adds, /Shall I try?/
5:15 PM * Havrasti thinks back /Go ahead./
5:15 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, Ellie would need to do that on her next turn, I think.))
5:16 PM * Sila thinks /Of course, anything that keeps them from turning to suicidal stupidity./
5:17 PM <llewelyn>: /I think we have these guys at our mercy, now, so inviting their surrender would be good./
5:17 PM * Ellie decides she will do so… when next she has opportunity…
5:17 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI
5:18 PM <havrasti> ((are they both ethereal or can he try to knock one unconcious?))
5:20 PM <rkcgm> ((They are both ethereal but you can still have some reduced impact with physical attacks.))
5:20 PM <havrasti> ((ok))
5:20 PM * Havrasti tries to conk out the one stunned by the light, leaving the other to Sila’s winds
5:21 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + wrestling
5:21 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + wrestling”: (1+2+1+6+2+1+3). Total: 16.
5:22 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: it’s only difficult because Havrasti punches through him…
5:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “it’s only difficult because Havrasti punches through him…”: (4+4+4+1+3). Total: 16.
5:22 PM <rkcgm> !1d2
5:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “1d2”: (2). Total: 2.
5:23 PM <rkcgm> …But Tall’n’Looming hits the floor with a very non-spectral Thud.
5:23 PM <havrasti> “That felt weird.”
5:24 PM <llewelyn>: “Probably felt pretty weird to him, too.”
5:24 PM <llewelyn>
5:25 PM <llewelyn> turns his attentions toward Shorty-in-the-Eye-of-the-Storm, attempting to do with his staff what Havrasti just did with his fists.
5:26 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: debuff versus difficult (hard target to hit, swirling around like that)
5:26 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “debuff versus difficult (hard target to hit, swirling around like that)”: (3+6+1+1+6+2+2+1). Total: 22.
5:26 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficult
5:26 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficult”: (1+5+4+3+4). Total: 17.
5:26 PM <sila> ((throw a box or something into the storm and let it do the work :P :P ))
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Shorty comes out the other side of the windstorm, slams into the wall of the office, and is pinned there.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> DRAGONHUNTERS
5:30 PM <rkcgm> …get no actions. Well. Mostly sorta.
5:30 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Stamina versus difficult for Tall-n-Looming (reduced due to unconsciousness) versus difficult
5:30 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Stamina versus difficult for Tall-n-Looming (reduced due to unconsciousness) versus difficult”: (1+5+3+2). Total: 11.
5:30 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:30 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+6+3+4+1). Total: 16.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: stamina for Shorty versus difficult
5:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “stamina for Shorty versus difficult”: (5+6+2+3+4). Total: 20.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+4+2+2+6). Total: 16.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> ((…interesting.))
5:32 PM <havrasti> (so big failed and short succeeded, looks like))
5:34 PM <rkcgm> Tall-n-Looming explodes.
5:34 PM <rkcgm> Everyone roll dexterity versus easy (Except for Havrasti, who is closer and rolls versus standard). The rest of you are still protected by Llewelyn’s earlier force-shield.
5:34 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: versus roll for all but Havrasti
5:34 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll for all but Havrasti”: (2+1). Total: 3.
5:34 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : Dex
5:34 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Dex”: (6+1+5+5). Total: 17.
5:34 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus roll for Havrasti
5:34 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll for Havrasti”: (6+3+5). Total: 14.
5:34 PM <ellie> !4d6: dodging explody-mist-guy
5:34 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “dodging explody-mist-guy”: (2+1+1+1). Total: 5.
5:35 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: Llewelyn’s dexterity
5:35 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s dexterity”: (5+6+5+1+1+6). Total: 24.
5:35 PM <sila> ~4d6
5:35 PM <sila> !4d6
5:35 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “4d6”: (2+6+4+5). Total: 17.
5:35 PM <ellie> ((Emotionally but not physically devastating for Ellie :-p )
5:36 PM * Havrasti is quite surprised at that result, “I didn’t hit him /that/ hard!!!” D:
5:37 PM <sila> “Eugh. Is that really better than talking to the cops?”
5:37 PM <ellie> “Wha- but- no…”
5:38 PM <llewelyn> still holds his staff to keep Shorty pinned to the wall. “They’re bearer mages, and their source just pulled the plug.”
5:39 PM <ellie> “Is there anything we can do to… help… the last guy?”
5:40 PM <llewelyn> mutters. “He survived it.”
5:40 PM <sila> “Guy on the wall survived it? Or Mr. ‘I explode you for your failure’ survived it?”
5:41 PM <rkcgm> Shorty (faceplanted into the wall): “Hw dy svvtt?”
5:41 PM <ellie> ((Is he speaking garbled English, another language, or a garbled other language?)
5:42 PM <sila> ((I think that’s “How’d I survive it?” ))
5:42 PM <llewelyn>: “Unfortunately, the source mage probably just got stronger due to that. I think all the power these guys threw around was loaner magic, and it all returned to sender.”
5:42 PM <rkcgm> ((Very good, Sila! :P ))
5:43 PM <sila> “Too bad. I hate it when people are rewarded for cold-blooded murder.”
5:43 PM <havrasti> “Nasty thing to do.”
5:44 PM <havrasti> ((still in init?))
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “Aru sur ey svvit?”
5:44 PM <rkcgm> ((Negative.))
5:44 PM <sila> “Yeah, well…we’ve already established they have insufficient respect for the value of sapient life. Let’s show this guy how to do better, shall we? You are SO under arrest.”
5:45 PM * Havrasti brings over cuffs for him while Llewelyn has him pinned
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Shorty manages to get his face out of the intentation in the wall. “Arrested? Bummer…”
5:46 PM <ellie> "…Bummer? That’s all you have to say about it?
5:46 PM <sila> “Beats dead.”
5:46 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “What scary police lady said.”
5:47 PM <sila> “For what it’s worth, I’m glad you agree.”
5:48 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta emerges from under her desk. “I-is-is-is safe now?”
5:48 PM <llewelyn> lets Shorty down from his place on the wall in order to let Havrasti cuff him.
5:48 PM <sila> “Yeah, I think so. Sorry for blowing all your office papers around.”
5:49 PM * Sila gives Jacinta a hand up
5:49 PM <havrasti> “Going to need to call in a clean up crew.”
5:49 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “The hole in the wall is probably more problematic.”
5:49 PM <sila> “Meh. Little plaster will fix that.”
5:51 PM <sila> “Not that we aren’t sorry for that too and all. Just to confirm, by the way – you /are/ OK, right?”
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Yes. They were trying to make me tell them where my boss went.”
5:52 PM <sila> “Seems to be the question of the day. Let’s get this guy down to the wine cellar before we ask our own questions, shall we?”
5:54 PM <sila> “Actually…it might be safest if she came back with us. What do you all think?”
5:54 PM <havrasti> “Probably that.”
5:54 PM <havrasti> ((though really, Llewelyn’s the one who would know and state proceedures :P ))
5:55 PM <ellie> “They guy who employed you – did he have any way to track you? It really might be best if you told us, since I know you were afraid of what he’d do if you got caught.”
5:55 PM * Ellie asks the guy we just arrested
5:56 PM <sila> ((Sila’s not stating proceedure; she’s just saying “let’s not ask Jacinta questions in front of this guy” and “this guy aught to be under lock and key, and possibly anti-detection wards” and “the magic donor knows they failed, let’s not leave the victim alone for a second try.” ))
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Shorty, still in a bit of a daze, mumbles: “He could see what we saw as long as we worked for him… but I’m pretty sure he can’t shoulder-surf now.”
5:58 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I’ll come with you. Pedro told me that if anything ever happened, I could trust DEAR.”
5:58 PM * Ellie accepts this answer, barring a counter-thought from Llewelyn
5:59 PM <sila> “Thanks. Do you need to lock the door, reassure the staff, that sort of thing?”
5:59 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Um, probably…”
6:00 PM <sila> “Don’t worry about bringing anything but your purse, the trip itself will only be a minute.”
6:00 PM <havrasti> “Well, the stay might be longer.”
6:01 PM <sila> “If you need an overnight bag we can come back for it later.”
6:04 PM <sila> “We’ll get this guy moving, and meet you in the wine cellar when you’re ready to go, OK? Unless Llewelyn wants to do something else up here?”
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Shorty needs a little help to move (he can’t walk straight).
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Lllewelyn shakes his head.
6:04 PM * Havrasti picks him up
6:04 PM * Ellie sets out after the others.
6:05 PM * Sila leads the way, scouting around corners to make sure we don’t run into any uninvolved staff.
6:07 PM <rkcgm> You return without further incident to DEAR.
6:08 PM * Sila puts the portal back in standby mode, so they can return Jacinta when she’s done here.
6:08 PM <sila> (closed but not unwoven)
6:09 PM * Havrasti plops shorty down in a chair when we get there
6:11 PM <rkcgm> Someone quickly moves Shorty to the security room; the rest of you are free to follow or go back to Llewelyn’s office.
6:11 PM * Sila proposes interviewing Jacinta first, then Shorty
6:12 PM <ellie> “Okay. Both should probably be done quickly, but… both need to happen.”
6:12 PM <havrasti> “Sounds good to me, Sila.”
6:13 PM <llewelyn> also agrees. “My office should suffice.”
6:14 PM <sila> “Right this way, then – don’t mind the duck.”
6:15 PM <ellie> Along the way, Ellie says quietly aside to Jacinta, “I was… more aggressive when we spoke over the phone than I typically would be. I didn’t understand the situation, and so misunderstood you as… I don’t know, not caring or something. I apologize.”
6:15 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta nearly trips on the duck.
6:16 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “…oh. Oh, well, it’s alright. I kinda forgot about that, because those two guys walked into my office before I even hung up the phone.”
6:17 PM <ellie> “Aaah. Yeah, that would suffice to put a thing or two out of one’s mind. For what it’s worth, it was only concern for your employer’s safety that drove me to push so hard… but I recognize in retrospect that I wasn’t helping that, either.”
6:18 PM <sila> “So about Pedro, and his currently dubious safety… /do/ you know where he is, specifically?”
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta shrugs. “Specifically? No. He didn’t and couldn’t give me a schedule. But I know some generalities, and if you want to wait…” Jacinta hesitates.
6:20 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta sits down. “I… I’m still torn about telling you what I know.”
6:21 PM <ellie> “…Why don’t we tell you what /we/ know. About who’s after your employer.”
6:21 PM <ellie> “Then you can better weigh the risks.”
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “On one hand, I want you to help Pedro. But I know that if I tell you the full story, you /won’t/ be able to help him without severe consequences.”
6:21 PM <havrasti> (she knows he’s a dragon, right? And that DEAR would know that?))
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Very well.”
6:22 PM * Ellie looks to Llewelyn for some indication that this is the best approach before beginning…
6:22 PM <llewelyn> nods.
6:22 PM * Ellie outlines what we know about the dragon hunters, including their number and the types of fighters they have available.
6:23 PM <ellie> And that they were headed straight for Cuba.
6:23 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta listens, making occasional facial expressions of worry and chagrin.
6:25 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta finally says: “Well. I think you’ve convinced me. You need to know what Pedro’s doing in Cuba, because if the government called in dragonhunters…”
6:25 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “…then there’s a traitor in our organization.”
6:26 PM <sila> “Meaning, they may also know what he’s doing.”
6:27 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Yes. But since Pedro doesn’t really plan, so much as work as opportunities arise, this may not be such a problem.”
6:29 PM <sila> “I’m glad they can’t just go straight to wherever he is, but as long as the dragonslayers know the plan better than his allies, they have the advantage. Also, what organization?”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Our organization… we have no name, really. Pedro organized it for us.”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta fiddles with a pencil. “Pedro went to Cuba in order to meet with a general of the FAR… the Army. If the meeting goes well, then you shall see our work on the international news before tomorrow evening.”
6:31 PM <havrasti> “I suppose that explains why the Cuban government hired the dragonslayers to assassinate him.”
6:32 PM * Sila sits back in her chair.
6:32 PM <sila> “No kidding…”
6:32 PM <ellie> “I think you need to start from the beginning…”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta shrugs. “I have known Pedro since he… got off the boat, as it were. I didn’t know until five years ago what he was; but since then, he’s helped hundreds of refugees escape the Communists.”
6:35 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Somewhere in there… he, we, decided it wasn’t enough to just react, but to proactively change things for the better.”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Pedro once told me that, while he might not have the ability to change things in his homeland… he could change things in OUR homeland.”
6:38 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “So… we’re going to topple the Cuban government. Yes, we all know we’re all a bit crazy.”
6:38 PM * Ellie frowns.
6:39 PM * Havrasti holds back a snerk
6:39 PM <sila> “I hope Douglass gets to do his frown-sternly-and-slap-wrists act.”
6:40 PM <sila> “I mean…noble cause, and it probably won’t hurt Cuba’s neighbors either, assuming you also manage to set up a stable and less-evil replacement government. But international politics isn’t normally our jurisdiciton.”
6:41 PM <ellie> “Nor ‘setting up kings and deposing them.’”
6:42 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I understand. But I also want you to understand… even if Pedro knows about dragonhunters, it won’t stop him.”
6:43 PM <ellie> Ellie sighs heavily and crosses her arms, pacing agitatedly.
6:44 PM <ellie> “I don’t want him to die… but I don’t know that I believe he’s in the right, either. Granted… my aunt would probably argue that he is. But… I just… I really don’t know.”
6:44 PM <sila> “Llewelyn… /is/ there anything we can legally do here?”
6:44 PM <llewelyn> sighs.
6:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Legally? Not yet. Not without direct orders from the appropriate authorities.”
6:45 PM <sila> “Can we go discuss this with the appropriate authorities and invite them to give us direct orders?”
6:45 PM <sila> “And is it reasonably likely that they would give us useful orders if we did?”
6:46 PM <llewelyn> snorts: “With the current government?”
6:46 PM <llewelyn> picks up the phone and talks to Douglas.
6:48 PM <llewelyn> gives a brief synopsis (“Hey Douglas, Pedro’s going to overthrow the Cuban government… yeah, that’s what I said… yeah, I’ve no idea if it’ll work… oh.”)
6:48 PM * Havrasti wonders if we will be going out, or if we’ll be seeing it on the news in the morning
6:49 PM <llewelyn> hangs up the phone. “Jacinta – we’d like to offer you temporary protective custody until we figure out what we’re doing.”
6:49 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I accept.”
6:50 PM <sila> “Thank you for being sensible…what else did Douglas say?”
6:50 PM <llewelyn>: “He’s got the appropriate authorities in his office already… and we need to go in and talk with them.”
6:51 PM <havrasti> “Ok.”
6:51 PM <sila> “Hoo boy.”
6:51 PM <llewelyn>: “Uh huh.”
6:51 PM <ellie> “Oh what fun we shall have.” Ellie gives Llewelyn a sardonic sidelong glance. ;-)
6:52 PM <sila> “I guess you may as well wait here, Jacinta. Stay out of the closet the duck is guarding, please, it’s currently doubling as an evidence locker.”
6:52 PM <rkcgm> There’s a knock on the door.
6:52 PM <sila> “Come in?”
6:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Hey, Mark, that was fast.”
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Mark: “It’s ‘Carnildo.’”
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Mark Mahan / Carnildo Mahani sticks his head in the door.
6:54 PM <llewelyn> looks exasperated. “This is Jacinta. She’s in protective custody. You’re supposed to protect her.”
6:55 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo: “IQ Level 1 briefing received. Anything for those of us with IQ Level 200?”
6:56 PM <llewelyn>: “Keep it simple.”
6:57 PM <sila> “We already rescued her from mages once, so expect mages. In case that wasn’t sufficiently obvious by the fact that DEAR is involved to begin with.”
6:57 PM <sila> “Please excuse us, we’re wanted in Douglass’s office.”
6:58 PM * Sila finds interacting with Carnildo to be ‘fun’ on the order of dental work. Also, his name makes her want to laugh, which has a poor effect on their professional relationship.
6:58 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo: “It was obvious. Don’t worry, miss – nothing is going to harm you, I swear it on the staff of my forefathers.”
6:59 PM <sila> "Don’t worry, Jacinta, he’s almost as competant as he is annoying.
6:59 PM <havrasti> “Alright, we should be off now.”
7:00 PM * Sila attempts to duck out of the office before Carnildo can reply to her commentary.
7:00 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo was preparing some stinging rebuke or just a general whine of ‘workplace harassment’, but you all brush past him before his mouth can catch up.
7:01 PM <llewelyn>: “Charlotte will probably join them once she finishes up in the kitchen; so we probably don’t need to worry about Jacinta.”
7:02 PM <ellie> “I’d… almost feel bad for him, but…”
7:03 PM <sila> “Feel bad for us instead. If the Authorities are already here, we may already be in trouble.”
7:03 PM <ellie> “We’ve not actually done anything… yet.”
7:04 PM <llewelyn>: “Doubtless that’s what they’ll blame us for. But if we’d done something, we’d get blamed for that, too.”
7:05 PM * Ellie shrugs.
7:05 PM <ellie> “They haven’t done anything, either.”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> You arrive at Douglas’s office and find Hickory sitting at his desk; Douglas himself is reclining in his very comfy doggy-bed in the corner, trying to look very doggy-pleased with life.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> The reason for that may be related to the three-star US Army general sitting across the desk from Hickory. She – yes, the general is a ‘she’ – looks to be in her late forties with a touch of gray in her hair and a taut aura of ‘command authority’ hanging around her.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> Her digital camo uniform has the name ‘T. Archer’ sewn on the front pocket, while the sleeve has a colorful unit patch with a prancing unicorn trampling on the caricatured forces of darkness. It’s actually a really nifty unit patch.
7:06 PM <rkcgm> She also has two uniformed minions.
7:07 PM * Havrasti nods greeting
7:08 PM * Ellie also respectfully follows suit.
7:08 PM <rkcgm> The general stands up and greets you. “I’m General Tiffany Archer, commanding officer of Special Task Force Unicorn. You four must be Action Team One. Thank you for coming.”
7:09 PM <llewelyn>: “Our pleasure, General.”
7:09 PM <rkcgm> Hickory (speaking as Douglas): “Why don’t you have a seat and explain the situation?”
7:10 PM <havrasti> !3d6 : int vs easy
7:10 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “int vs easy”: (5+2+3). Total: 10.
7:10 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: for Havrasti versus easy
7:10 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “for Havrasti versus easy”: (2+5). Total: 7.
7:12 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti: you remember that Douglas once mentioned Special Task Force Unicorn as “the folks in the government who oversaw ‘Funny Business’ back [in the 1960s-1980s].” You also remember someone saying that the group had been disbanded before DEAR’s creation in 2003.))
7:13 PM <havrasti> ((Seems they’re back :P ))
7:13 PM <rkcgm> ((So it would appear.))
7:13 PM * Havrasti doesn’t mention he knows that
7:13 PM * Ellie is figuring Llewelyn is the ranking agent among us, and will therefore probably give the presentation, so to speak…
7:13 PM <ellie> Which is why she’s staying quiet.
7:14 PM <ellie> She’s tempted to try and do a telepathy skim on the lady, but decides she’s not exactly an enemy, and so settles for trying to determine her mood through facial expressions, instead.
7:14 PM <ellie> !7d6: Reading Faces
7:14 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Reading Faces”: (4+3+5+2+6+6+4). Total: 30.
7:14 PM * Sila also stays quiet unless Llewelyn asks her to speak for now, because this is the military, and they care about all that rank-and-discipline stuff.
7:15 PM <llewelyn> quickly outlines everything Jacinta told us about Pedro’s plans, as well as the dragonhunters themselves. General Archer clearly appears to view this as a serious issue and listens very carefully.
7:15 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit for Ellie.))
7:15 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
7:15 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (4+6). Total: 10.
7:15 PM <rkcgm> ((Green))
7:17 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: General Archer is a tough person to read, but you can tell from her face that she is a woman disposed to decisive action… and also very poorly disposed to dragonhunters.
7:17 PM <havrasti> ((well, that’s something at least))
7:17 PM * Ellie takes some comfort in this knowledge.
7:18 PM * Sila spends much of the recital trying to decide if Archer is human or merely looks-human-at-the-moment
7:18 PM <rkcgm> At the end of Llewelyn’s briefing, General Archer glances over the rest of you. “Do you have anything further to add?”
7:19 PM <rkcgm> Sila: roll perception versus very difficult
7:19 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: versus very difficult
7:19 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus very difficult”: (4+6+6+2+4+3). Total: 25.
7:19 PM <sila> “The headquarters of the Georgians is accessible to whatever forensics experts our organizations may have available; we haven’t had time to give it more than a first pass.”
7:20 PM <sila> !5d6: Sila is reasonable perceptive, and does think to use her sense of smell, which is often missed by lower-difficulty illusions…
7:20 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Sila is reasonable perceptive, and does think to use her sense of smell, which is often missed by lower-difficulty illusions…”: (6+2+4+3+1). Total: 16.
7:20 PM * Havrasti shakes his head
7:20 PM <sila> ((no dice. Probbly not worth a coin, though.))
7:21 PM <havrasti> ((probably not))
7:21 PM <ellie> !6d6: INT roll to see if it would be a good idea to mention the dragon hunter we have in custody
7:21 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “INT roll to see if it would be a good idea to mention the dragon hunter we have in custody”: (2+5+3+3+5+3). Total: 21.
7:22 PM <havrasti> ((I’d think Llewelyn would have mentioned that :P ))
7:22 PM <rkcgm> Sila: General Archer looks human, sounds human, and definitely smells human. No pets aside from her air fresheners Lavender and Lilac. You can also smell a firearm on her.
7:23 PM <ellie> ((It didn’t say so, though Brock is free to correct me if I’m wrong. :-p))
7:23 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: easy versus for Ellie – Llewelyn already mentioned that
7:23 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “easy versus for Ellie – Llewelyn already mentioned that”: (4+5). Total: 9.
7:24 PM * Ellie shakes her head.
7:25 PM <rkcgm> Archer turns to Hickory-as-Douglas: “What’s your take on this?”
7:27 PM <rkcgm> Hickory-as-Douglas: “This one’s a topic of international policy. On one hand, we could decline to intervene and let events take their course; we simply don’t have a right to exert jurisdiction in Cuba.”
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Archer shakes her head and gives a bit of a sneering lip.
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “It’s absolutely imperative that we intervene in this situation. One of America’s greatest current strengths in regards to the magical forces arrayed against us is our native dragon contingent. That advantage should be maintained and protected – by force, if necessary.”
7:30 PM <rkcgm> Hickory as Douglas: “General Archer, we have traditionally tried to avoid using mages to act against foreign governments. It sets a bad precedent.”
7:30 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “I understand, Douglas. But we also need to establish a precedent of our own: no one messes with our people, whether on our soil or elsewhere.”
7:30 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “I want these dragonhunters /buried/.”
7:31 PM * Ellie is immediately uncomfortable with Archer’s ‘out for blood’ attitude.
7:31 PM <sila> “General, I while I fully agree with your assesment on the desirable outcome with respect to dragonhunters, I have to ask – do want to protect Pedro badly enough to interfere with his mission? Or badly enough to actively support his mission?”
7:32 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “Hm…”
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “I’d have much preferred if Iglesias had kept his talons to himself, and not precipitated this whole event.”
7:36 PM <sila> “If wishes were horses, then dragons could ride.”
7:37 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “But that said, I don’t think I want to actively stop him. Taking out the dragonhunter group, or rendering them completely ineffectual in their mission, is active enough support for Iglesias… without becoming too overt.”
7:37 PM * Havrasti can go along with that
7:39 PM <ellie> “So divert the dragon hunters. …I wonder if there’s also any way to get word to Iglesias, so that he’s on his guard.”
7:40 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “If Iglesias has contacts in the Cuban military, an ideal solution might be provoking them to round up the dragonhunters, while you deal with the mages they apparently have.”
7:42 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. Good point. Having Cuban channels act as much as possible would mitigate the jurisdiction question.”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “For that matter, you could even secure an invitation from Cuban authorities to assist them; that would be ideal.”
7:45 PM <ellie> “We’d probably need to get ahold of Iglesias so he could work through whatever his inside channels are in order to do that. I’m not sure how we would otherwise.”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Archer: “Of course, Agent Ross.”
7:47 PM <sila> "Do we know what level of government called them in? Could we exploit their magically-informed division’s need-to-know policies by getting permission from the out-of-the-loop side to interdict the “European Crazy People” before they start “causing trouble” perhaps?"
7:48 PM <rkcgm> Archer turns to Hickory: “Douglas, who manages Cuba’s informed division, these days?”
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Hickory as Douglas: “I think it’s a general in the Youth Labor Army – I think his name is Estefan.”
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Hickory as Douglas: “I’ve never met him; I don’t think he’s really well-informed about Esserea, other races, or anything like that. He was the lead investigator, however, on the one time a party of Elvish refugees from Starmarch accidentally ended up in Cuba.”
7:53 PM <sila> “That must have been diassapointing. Did they manage to get away again?”
7:56 PM <rkcgm> Hickory as Douglas: “They were all expelled and ended up in the US – after further misadventures. We founded DEAR to prevent further occurrences.”
7:56 PM <sila> “Ah.”
7:57 PM <llewelyn> crosses his arms and says nothing.
7:57 PM * Sila eyes Llewelyn and makes a mental note to ask for his take on it later.
7:57 PM * Ellie telepathically asks Llewelyn for details now. ;_)
7:57 PM <ellie> ;-)
7:59 PM <rkcgm> General Archer: “Well, I’m going to take this to Senator Lu – but Douglas, your team should probably get moving into position at once. I’d do the job myself, but Major Heim and Captain Reyes are still training up my own young bevy of mages; we’re not ready to take on missions yet.”
8:00 PM <rkcgm> General Archer glances at you all. “I daresay you have your work cut out for you.”
8:01 PM <sila> “That’s one way of putting it…”
8:04 PM <havrasti> “Time to start finding some contacts to mess with things.”
8:04 PM <llewelyn> thinks back at Ellie: /I got them out of their ‘further misadventures’ and helped get them set up in the US./
8:04 PM * Ellie replies, /Ahhh./ and drops the matter.
8:05 PM <rkcgm> Douglas in his doggy bed whaps his tail in slight frustration, but Hickory maintains a flawless poker face.
8:05 PM <rkcgm> Hickory: “So I guess you’ll need to interview our prisoner and get more information out of Iglesias’s assistant before you head off to Cuba.”
8:05 PM * Ellie telepathies to Doglas, /Something that one of could say something about before we wrap things?/
8:06 PM <sila> “Unquestionably.”
8:06 PM <sila> “And make sure our magical defenses are tight, and check out gear.”
8:07 PM <sila> “There’s no point in getting ourselves slain instead.”
8:08 PM <rkcgm> Douglas thinks back quietly: /No, Ellie; I just dislike receiving orders from General Archer, particularly now that she’s partnered up with Senator Lu./
8:08 PM * Ellie replies, /Aaah. Sorry. Annoying being stuck with politics./
8:09 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: /This is only the tip of an iceberg; you are certainly less sorry about it than I. Makes me wish sometimes that I could retire and start chasing birds and squirrels./
8:10 PM <rkcgm> When thinking the word ‘squirrel’ at Ellie, Douglas suddenly wags his tail and looks sharply at the door.
8:11 PM <ellie> Just for a lark, Ellie attempts to vividly imagine and telepathically project the image of a squirrel chasing its tail while being dive-bombed by a bird. ;-)
8:11 PM <ellie> To Douglas.
8:13 PM * Sila can’t hear the byplay, but she does notice Douglas looking at the door and turns to look too.
8:14 PM <rkcgm> Douglas suddenly barks and jumps to his feet… and then pauses and flops back down on his doggy-bed. /Now that was excellent work, Ellie; you even fooled the old master. Well played./
8:14 PM <sila> "What on earth is out there…?
8:15 PM * Ellie fights hard to keep from grinning, but she telepathically sends the feeling of her beaming. ;-)
8:15 PM * Ellie then telepathies to Sila, /Nothing. Telepathy conversation. Sorry./
8:18 PM <rkcgm> General Archer stands. “It sounds like Hickory wants some time outside, Douglas. In the meantime, I’ll head into the District to speak with the Senator and the President about this situation.”
8:19 PM <rkcgm> Archer turns towards Sila and Havrasti and says, in poor and English-accented draconic a sort of old ‘good luck’ phrase… the idea of which is basically ‘May your enemies fill your belly and not cause you any indigestion.’
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
5:46 PM <rkcgm> Last time, you secured one of the dragonhunters as a prisoner, and discovered from Pedro Iglesias’s assistant manager, Jacinta, that he is attempting to use his leet dragon powerz to overthrow the Cuban government.
5:47 PM <rkcgm> By the decision of General Archer, you will be traveling to Cuba to attempt to trip up the dragonhunters… but not actually assisting or hindering his outrageous plans.
5:47 PM <rkcgm> Before that, however, you should interrogate your prisoner and speak further with Jacinta.
5:48 PM * Sila walks down the hall with Havrasti. “So…not dracophobic, that’s a plus. Sees us as a military asset, not quite so sure if that’s a plus. Clannish do-not-touch attitude towards citizens, good as long as it’s not taken too far…I dunno. She kind of makes me nervous. What do you think of her?”
5:50 PM <llewelyn> stays quiet for the moment, since the question wasn’t directed at him.
5:50 PM <tgu_tablet> “She’s probably the right one for this job, perhaps. At least she’s doing something towards the problem that could work.”
5:50 PM * Havrasti says that :P
5:50 PM <havrasti> (wrong comp)
5:51 PM <wayfarer> “I got the sense of some rivalry either between her and Douglas, or at very least between her department and DEAR…” Ellie offers quietly.
5:51 PM <wayfarer> (So as not to be overheard in the hall or something)
5:52 PM <sila> “Mmm. Par for the course, I guess. I mean…that’s kind of how the US does things. Good for balance of powers, bad for inter-departmental communications, and endless time-wasting on juriscitional squabbling. Though if we suddenly become part of the military I will be less than pleased.”
5:53 PM <sila> “Presumably that is more in the realm of paranoia than anything else at the moment, though?”
5:53 PM <llewelyn>: “I’m going have to bend somebody’s ear about that. Special Task Force Unicorn used to do DEAR’s business for thirty or forty years, up until it disbanded during the Clinton years… and then DEAR took over.”
5:54 PM <wayfarer> “So the question is, why is it back?”
5:55 PM <llewelyn>: “Not sure when or why they came back onto the picture – but General Archer mentioned Senator Lu.”
5:55 PM <sila> “Do we know him? I admit, I haven’t followed politics as closely as I might. Especially when I was overseas anyway.”
5:57 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ve met him once. Slimy politician. He and Douglas used to be coworkers back in the 80s.”
5:57 PM <sila> “Hmm. Well, I guess I’ll go ahead and be paranoid then. But in the meantime, lets see what this guy has to say about things.”
5:57 PM <wayfarer> “Yeah. Task at hand first…”
5:57 PM <havrasti> “Does he know that the dog is Douglas? The general didn’t seem to, nor did they seem inclined to let her know.”
5:58 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t know, honestly. He might, but I’m not counting on that.”
5:58 PM <sila> “She’s military, she would understand Need to Know policy.”
5:59 PM * Sila opens the door to the detention area
6:00 PM <sila> “Hello, we’re here to see one recently-unmagicked dragonslayer please. How’d his health check go?”
6:01 PM * Sila (s talking to whoever is in charge of detainees, not exclusing menhirs if that’s who is here ;) )
6:02 PM <rkcgm> You discover Carnildo sitting on the table in the interrogation room, trying his hardest to look extremely badace. It’s not working. Fellow mage Charlotte Landry, she of the magical baking, is sitting in a chair covering her mouth with her hands. She’s probably laughing her guts out inside.
6:03 PM <sila> “Hey wait a minute. You’re supposed to be guarding Jacinta!”
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Your prisoner is sitting in a chair at the table, very calm, very collected.
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo: “Uh! Um.”
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “She’s in the bathroom.”
6:04 PM <sila> “Ok…the bathroom /in the detention area/ for some reason??”
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “I checked on her two minutes ago, but I wouldn’t let Carnildo follow her in.”
6:04 PM <sila> “She’s not under arrest!”
6:04 PM <havrasti> “You could wait be the door there, rather than here.”
6:05 PM <sila> “Or are we keeping ‘protective custody’ down here too?”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “We were getting her some soda from the machine next door.”
6:06 PM * Sila looks like she might be developing a headache
6:06 PM <sila> “Right. Well. We’re actually here to talk to this guy. What’s your name again?”
6:06 PM <llewelyn>: “Charlotte, please go check on her again. Mark…”
6:07 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo: “Carnildo!”
6:07 PM <sila> (under her breath) “Carne.”
6:07 PM <llewelyn>: “MARK, go walk a perimeter of the building.”
6:07 PM * Ellie smirks, and wonders if he’d even get what it means to have a dragon call him “meat.” :-p
6:08 PM <havrasti> (He’s sooo lucky there are multiple reasons why Sila won’t treat him like that :P ;) )
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Carnildo slinks out of the room like a sulky child. Charlotte heads back to the bathroom to check on Jacinta again.
6:09 PM <rkcgm> You are left alone with the dragonhunter.
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “I see I’m no longer with the B Team.”
6:10 PM <sila> “I apologize for Carne. But. Name?”
6:10 PM <havrasti> ((what’s it mean in elven?))
6:11 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “Er – sorry. Just for my clarification, I have Miranda rights here, correct? Do you intend to give me a fair trial of peers, or am I going to end up facedown in a river somewhere?”
6:11 PM * Havrasti lets Llewelyn answer that
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((It basically means ‘Martial’.))
6:13 PM <havrasti> ((ahh))
6:13 PM <havrasti> ((I propose the literial translation is “Meat shield” :P ;) ))
6:14 PM <ellie> ((snerk))
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “We’re a legal enforcement organization for the United States, and that means we follow the rules. We’ll give you as fair a trial as is possible… and if you care to make it worth our time, we can arrange plea bargains.”
6:14 PM <sila> "Obviously we aren’t going to let you get up on the stand in a regular court and say “because dragons” but the river is right out."
6:15 PM <rkcgm> ((I accept that the proposed translation is true in Llewelyn’s native Elvish dialect. :P ))
6:17 PM <ellie> “Right now, however, I don’t think we’re as interested in your criminal or non-criminal status as much as we are in information that can help us save a life.”
6:18 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “Who’s life? Again, just for clarification.”
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “I mean, I’m all about saving lives, sometimes even including my own.”
6:19 PM <sila> “The dragon. But you know, it also prevents you from being a foreign agent and accessory to murder of an american citizen…”
6:20 PM <sila> "I’ll debate the “all about saving lives” bit with you later."
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “Iglesias? Yes – I’ll admit, we weren’t very concerned about saving his life, and I really have no reason to care even right now. We’re protecting a lot more people than just one person.”
6:21 PM <ellie> “How so?”
6:23 PM <rkcgm> Shorty shrugs. “While there have been a few examples I’ve found in the archives about dragons of… more noble characters, the majority we’ve dealt with have been greedy and murderous sociopathic death lizards.”
6:24 PM <sila> “Is there more than one dragon involved in your current mission, Nameless?”
6:24 PM <ellie> "And you know that to be true of this one?
6:24 PM <havrasti> “So just because he’s a dragon then, you feel justified that he’ll kill any he wishes?”
6:25 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “Whoa, one question at a time, please. My head’s still spinning from the fight.”
6:26 PM <rkcgm> Shorty: “And you can call me Enzo. Enzo Brown.”
6:26 PM <ellie> “Okay, let me rephrase the three of them: How many dragons are you after, and do you believe them to be the type who you described, who would kill indiscriminately, just because they’re dragons?”
6:26 PM * Sila mutters "The fight where your magic provider ruthlessly murdered your cohort, yes. I’m “so convinced” that sanctity of life is your organization’s primary issue."
6:28 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Just the one – and our intelligence report indicates that he has had a violent past. How much do /you/ know about him?”
6:29 PM * Ellie looks to Llewelyn. “You know him best.”
6:29 PM <havrasti> ((did we get a dossier on him?))
6:29 PM <rkcgm> ((You did not – yet.))
6:31 PM <llewelyn> shrugs. “He’s a refugee from Esserea; a water-quickened dragon. He fled hunters and ended up coming to the United States for refuge. He’s been here since 2003 without issues.”
6:31 PM <ellie> “And so far as a violent past being justification for hunting someone down… one could argue that you and everyone in your organization has a violent past.”
6:31 PM <sila> "Our intelligence indicates that you have a violent present. Are you planning to provide him a fair trial of peers, or put him “face-down in a river somewhere,” as you put it?"
6:33 PM <havrasti> “Judging by the armaments they took, probably put him down in several rivers.”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Find me twelve dragon-peers in this world who would care enough about a fair trial.”
6:34 PM <havrasti> “Easily.”
6:34 PM <llewelyn> coughs.
6:34 PM <sila> “Havrasti. Don’t give the prisoner information.”
6:34 PM <havrasti> ((oops))
6:35 PM <llewelyn>: “Twelve might exhaust the pool of jurors, I think.”
6:35 PM * Sila takes a turn biting her tonuge
6:35 PM <ellie> “The fact is, you did not intend to extend to your target the fairness you’re demanding for yourself. It doesn’t matter whether you think him violent or not.”
6:35 PM <ellie> “Your position is hypocritical. And, I suspect, based on prejudice and misinformation.”
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Enzo glances at Havrasti. “Forgive the question, but would you count yourself among that number?”
6:36 PM <sila> “So let’s stop talking philosophy and move on to immediacy. What ARE your people planning? Besides to kill you, apparently.”
6:38 PM * Havrasti ignores his question
6:38 PM <rkcgm> Enzo frowns. “Perhaps it is hypocritical, but if I’m not mistaken in my guess, at least some of you hold your positions due to self-interest.”
6:38 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “As to your question…”
6:39 PM <ellie> “Do you not hold your own position in self-interest?”
6:39 PM <ellie> “No, hold that thought – go ahead with your answer.”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Of course it is in self-interest. I want to live in a world where I am not one of the staple food-groups.”
6:42 PM * Ellie mutters, “Solitary confinement. The only solution. After all, people have been known to eat other people, literally and figuratively.”
6:42 PM <ellie> “Get on to answering Sila’s question.”
6:42 PM <ellie> “We can return to this line of thought later.”
6:42 PM <sila> “Even in Esserea, humans are not dietary staples of dragons.”
6:44 PM <rkcgm> Enzo sighs. “Because they are held in check by other means… but once again, I digress.”
6:45 PM * Havrasti tries to get Ellie’s attention, and points to his head, then at Enzo
6:48 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Our contract was to find Iglesias, wherever in Cuba he’s got to, and to put the phrase mildly, terminate the threat – whether by killing him outright or ensuring that he would not put his plans into action again.”
6:49 PM * Ellie telepathies to Havrasti, /What would you like me to be checkiing, exactly?"
6:49 PM <sila> “I’m given to understand that his plans to this point have mostly involved helping refugees escape from Cuba to Florida. You consider this criminal behavior?”
6:51 PM * Havrasti telepaths back “/Check his surface thoughts, what comes front to mind, when we ask him questions. See if you can get the truth and in detail./”
6:54 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He’s planning to overthrow the Cuban government. Something about that doesn’t seem particularly lawful.”
6:54 PM * Ellie considers. /This is the guy who recognized us as hostile mages, and I believe it was my use of telepathy that he sensed. I also don’t think he’s been lying to us – he’s said enough despite knowing we won’t like it. I don’t think that measure is justified yet./
6:55 PM <sila> “How do you know that to be true?”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I’m sorry, I’m not the intelligence analyst who worked on that part of the case. But the bosses were convinced.”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Enzo makes a slight lip-sneer when he says “bosses”.
6:57 PM <sila> “The bosses who killed your partner?”
6:59 PM <rkcgm> Enzo frowns more deeply. “Yes. Not exactly the retirement package we were offered.”
6:59 PM <sila> “You understand why this affects my estimation of their reliability as sources of information.”
7:00 PM <ellie> “Your bosses really don’t seem to be such great characters. Speaking of people who would murder indiscriminately.”
7:00 PM <ellie> “I think we’re wrangling about the wrong issue, though. Enzo, I don’t think that we, in the period of time we have, can correct your perception of dragons. Even though they are – I say without any doubt – incorrect, espeically in the way you’re applying them. However, you did say you’re all about saving lives. So let’s put it this way: we’re going to be opposing the team of dragon-slayers going against Iglesias. What we learn from yo
7:01 PM <havrasti> ((What we learn from yo…. cutoff))
7:01 PM <ellie> What we learn from you might determine how many of their lives we can spare in the process of stopping them.”
7:02 PM <ellie> “Understand – unlike your team, we’re not going into this for blood. But we’re going to thwart them. You might be able to reduce how lethal our measures need to be.”
7:02 PM <rkcgm> Enzo taps his fingers on the table thoughtfully.
7:03 PM <sila> “Also true. If we can interdict them at a port of call and keep them on the boat, so to speak, then it’s easy. If we have to chase them cross-country, it’s less easy. If we catch them in the middle of a firefight, it’s not easy at all.”
7:04 PM <sila> “…and if a bunch of uninformed Cubans – or Cubans aligned with Iglesias – get in the middle of it and take them on as westerner spies, then it is both difficult and complicated, so time is a factor.”
7:10 PM <rkcgm> Enzo sighs: “I highly suspect that it’s not going to be easy at all; and even though you managed to beat the two of us, I’m still unconvinced that you can defeat Lockwood or the Corti sisters.”
7:11 PM <ellie> “You don’t fully know what we can do. And another question: even if we can’t beat them, do you believe we can hurt them in the process of fighting them?”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “But if you do manage to best Lockwood, I hope you give him my best wishes.”
7:12 PM <ellie> “Heh. You don’t even like your own co-workers. Or your bosses. How do you think you’re on the right side, again?”
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I like my co-workers just fine.”
7:14 PM <ellie> “Not this Lockwood, apparently. Or not from the tone of your voice.”
7:14 PM <havrasti> “Must be one of the bosses.”
7:14 PM <havrasti> “Why don’t you tell us about his capabilities?”
7:14 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He tried to kill me, and he DID kill Fritz.”
7:15 PM <ellie> “Ahh, so he was your broker.”
7:17 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Yes… my broker, the one who loaned out the powers I got. I’d have turned them down if I’d had a better measure of the man when I agreed to do that.”
7:18 PM * Havrasti turns to Llewelyn, “Would there have been a safe way to take back his powers, or did he doom them from the start?”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He keeps to himself. He’s a weird sort of guy – may not even be human, because of his age. I guess he was a solo hunter before he joined the Club.”
7:19 PM <llewelyn>: “It’s only unsafe for the Bearer if the broker goes far out of his way to make it that way.”
7:22 PM <llewelyn>: “Doing that to a Bearer mage kinda puts you outside the pall of civilized magicians – like fiddling with necromancy or spirit-deals.”
7:22 PM * Ellie shakes her head.
7:24 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “‘Uncivilized’? Yeah, I guess you could describe Lockwood that way.”
7:25 PM <ellie> “It sounds like the only thing that makes this guy any better than your perception of dragons is that he wears a human shape.”
7:25 PM <tgu_tablet> ((ping))
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Pong))
7:26 PM <ellie> ((poing?))
7:26 PM <ellie> ((What’s the last you got?))
7:26 PM <tgu_tablet> ((been uninterrupted here, so I saw))
7:26 PM <sila> ((back))
7:27 PM * Sila shudders at the idea of an ancient dragonslayer with the morals of a necromancer
7:27 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “My experiences this morning probably provide me with a great deal more bias than I’d have previously had.”
7:28 PM <sila> “Your experience with Lockwood? Or did you run into Iglesias this morning?”
7:28 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Lockwood.”
7:29 PM <sila> “Right. Well, ‘outside the realm of civilzed magic users’ is probably justification for some reconsideration of how you feel about him.”
7:30 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I don’t know. He’s just ‘strange’. His behaviors were strange and his powers were strange. Like somebody who’d been on a deserted island for twenty years all alone, and then tried to fit back into society.”
7:31 PM <sila> “Strange in what ways, specifically?”
7:36 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Obsessive-compulsive. Checks his watch a lot, stares at the sky. I was talking to him in his office once, and he fell asleep standing up… and then drew funny figures on his blackboard.”
7:37 PM <havrasti> “So, where is he now?”
7:37 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He seems bored by everything, right up until you get him in the field on the tail of a dragon.”
7:37 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He should’ve flown out with all the rest of them.”
7:38 PM <ellie> "…Let me get this straight. You work for an organization that assassinates sapient ((unless sentient is the right word :-p)) beings – beings of whom you yourself have said you’ve met at least some who were good. Beings who, despite that knowledge, you will kill without a fair trial in which they can face a jury of fair-minded fellow sapients. An organization that employs people like this Lockwood, who will apparently kill allies. An
7:38 PM <havrasti> “To? What is their full itinerary”
7:38 PM <ellie> An organization in which you have to be afraid of your bosses if you’re taken alive. And you still think you’re working for the good guys? You still think their cause is just? Or that they haven’t, oh, maybe lied to you from the start?"
7:40 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I have a lot of time in my future to think that over, don’t I, miss?”
7:40 PM <sila> “Most likely. Itinerary?”
7:41 PM <ellie> “Your biggest opportunity to do something to reverse part of your /own/ wrong-doing is /now/.”
7:41 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I don’t know their itenerary. Fritz and I were supposed to rendezvous with the rest of our team this evening at the airport in Havana.”
7:42 PM <ellie> “Was this supposed to be before or after they confronted Iglesias?”
7:42 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Lockwood will know Fritz and I were captured, though; and so the other two likely won’t show up.”
7:42 PM <sila> “Right…”
7:42 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Before.”
7:43 PM <sila> “What does Lockwood do for magic, besides sleep-writing? Are we reasonably sure he’s /not/ also involved in spirit pacts or soemthing?”
7:45 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “He doesn’t believe in religion – he hates it, especially Catholics.”
7:45 PM <sila> “That…doesn’t actually eliminate the possiblity of his beign demonized.”
7:45 PM <sila> “Demons are great liars. It’s kind of their thing.”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Enzo shrugs uncomfortably. “…I suppose.”
7:47 PM <sila> “But you don’t actually know where he gets his power from, I take it?”
7:48 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Sorry.”
7:49 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Now, the Corti sisters, they’ve got their powers from their toys.”
7:50 PM <ellie> “What toys?”
7:51 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I guess they got some old Esserean mage’s tools, and they figured out how to use them to make more.”
7:51 PM <sila> “What do they make?”
7:51 PM <havrasti> “So, was it that they would arrive at the airport in Havana then wait for you before moving on to their target by ground, or were they going use an air plane to leave?”
7:52 PM <havrasti> ((oops, delay my question till theirs is done))
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “They both made wands and clothes that let them control the Art. Taken that away, and… no powers.”
7:54 PM <rkcgm> Enzo nods toward Llewelyn. “I figured he worked something like the Corti sisters, what with his staff and all. But I think I was mistaken.”
7:56 PM <sila> “So we can render them powerless but we’d first have to render them…what, naked? Beltless?”
7:58 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Er, probably the former? Not that I… uh… recommend… your intentions could be misconstrued.”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Try negotiation. I mean, it might work.”
8:00 PM <sila> "Well of cours. I’m just workign on the contingency that starts, “If we’re already in a mage’s battle…” you know?"
8:00 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Maybe.”
8:00 PM <ellie> “On what grounds? Because if you were free and our negotiations went as they have with you, I don’t really believe you’d have stood down. Please excuse me if I’m wrong.”
8:00 PM <havrasti> “Negotiations is preferable to disarming, disarming is preferable to de-arming, and de-arming is preferable to death.”
8:02 PM <sila> “Agreed on both counts; negotiation is preferrable, but not to be counted upon. So what kind of arts do these people all use on peole they’re tried of negotiating with?”
8:02 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “…the… Serena and Angela are only in this business to find /one/ dragon. As long as you’re not that one dragon, they can be pretty reasonable and logical people, for women.”
8:03 PM <ellie> “…You really, really like your stereotyping and prejudice, don’t you?”
8:03 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Er, I mean. For crazy revenge-driven Sicilian women.”
8:03 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Sicilian women are crazy.”
8:03 PM <ellie> “…Nice back-pedaling, there. Which dragon are they looking for?”
8:05 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “The one that ate their third sister.”
8:05 PM <ellie> “Do they know this dragon’s name? Or how will they recognize the individual.”
8:06 PM <sila> “In other words, how would /we/ know if we found him-or-her?”
8:06 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Looks, I think. I guess they got a pretty good look at it. We’ve never killed anything that’s red, so I know we’ve never gotten him ourselves.”
8:07 PM <havrasti> “And do you know where this happened?”
8:09 PM * Sila mutters “Any /one/ you mean. Never killed /anyone/ that’s red.”
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “I don’t know, honestly.”
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Enzo keeps an eye on Sila’s hands.
8:10 PM * Sila isn’t doing anything in particular with her hands
8:11 PM <havrasti> ((so how many red dragons do we know about besides Havrasti? :P ))
8:11 PM <sila> ((probably on her hips, to look sufficiently threatening while also spiking the tendency to unconscious fist-making…))
8:11 PM <rkcgm> ((No idea. :P ))
8:12 PM * Ellie skims him telepathically, not to read his thoughts, but just to check that he’s not doing anything telepathy-like.
8:12 PM <sila> ((also, the chinese guy was red wasn’t he?))
8:12 PM * Ellie noticed his preoccupation with Sila’s hands.
8:12 PM <ellie> Hence her action. ;-)
8:13 PM <sila> “Well, we’re not terribly likely to run into him tonight, one supposes.”
8:13 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: you can pick up that Enzo has figured out that Sila, at the very least, is a dragon – and he’s also noticed that he’s offended her. He’s watching her hands so that he can try to defend himself if necessary.
8:14 PM <sila> ((Did he figure that out by my magic from the battle, or is he going by my insistence on thinking of dragons as people? :P ))
8:15 PM <rkcgm> ((A mix of both.))
8:16 PM <sila> “OK, the sisters may or may not be open to reason, assuming we can get a word in edgewise to begin with. If they start flinging magic at us, what might we expect to face?”
8:21 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Their defense is good, particularly against fire. Don’t even try that. Ditto against high-force hits like, say, tails or claw-swipes. They’ll try to bait you into striking, and they’ll take the blow and give you a big jolt of feedback.”
8:22 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “And never, never, never, NEVER try to swallow one of them alive.”
8:23 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “…although I have to say that was incredibly bad@$&.”
8:23 PM <havrasti> “I don’t think I want to hear the rest.”
8:24 PM <sila> “Ew. Not cannibals, thank you. Besides, we’re trying to capture if we can.”
8:24 PM <sila> “…what kind of feedback?”
8:24 PM <ellie> “All of this presumes, of course, that we’d fight hand-to-hand, anyway. Figuratively speaking. Since you’re also presuming we’re going to be bringing a dragon to the fight.”
8:25 PM <rkcgm> Enzo glances between Sila and Havrasti. “Well, I can describe it, IF that’s what you’d want.”
8:26 PM <sila> “I want to konw if it applies to, say, bullets, and if it has range and/or spread.”
8:27 PM <rkcgm> Enzo: “Yes, yes, and yes… but more than that, I don’t entirely know.”
8:28 PM <sila> “Also, how low-force does something have to be in order to resist triggering it?”
8:28 PM <rkcgm> Enzo shrugs. “As low as they want it to be.”
8:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Any further questions?))
8:28 PM <sila> “Is the feedback proportional to the hit, or as high as they want it to be?”
8:29 PM <rkcgm> ((If so, do we want to continue next week?))
8:29 PM <havrasti> ((oh, it is getting late))
8:29 PM <sila> ((ah, yeah, we should continue next week. Sila’s trying to get enough info about the mages to have a clue how to arrange defenses, and we haven’t even asked about Lockwood’s offensive abilities yet.))
8:30 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, let’s do that.))
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Two… er, three weeks ago we interrogated the only surviving dragonhunter that you dueled in Miami, and learned a bit about the Georgian Safari Club.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Unfortunately, while you know to watch out for their mages (including the old dragonhunting veteran Lockwood and the vengeful Corti sisters), you don’t know where they’re going to be.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> The next thing on your to-do list, prior to heading out to infiltrate Cuba, is to visit with Jacinta, the confidante and assistant manager of Pedro Iglesias’s club.
5:30 PM * Sila wishes she could’ve gotten the guy to cough up a little more information about what kind of offensive magic she should be preparing to defend against, but time is moving…
5:31 PM * Ellie wishes we’d been able to talk a little more sense into him. But time doesn’t move that slowly. :p
5:35 PM <llewelyn> heads downstairs into the deeper part of the office, where your fellow agents Charlotte and… Mark are protecting Jacinta.
5:36 PM <sila> “Hello again, Jacinta.”
5:37 PM <havrasti> “Comfortable?”
5:38 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta nods. “Yes, thank you. Charlotte got me a soda and some snacks.”
5:41 PM <sila> “What, and left you alone with Mark? I apologize on behalf of the department.”
5:42 PM <rkcgm> (Charlotte is currently sitting there.)
5:43 PM <havrasti> (As is Mark :P ;) )
5:43 PM <sila> “Seriously though, I think it’s time for you to tell us everything you know here. There’s some nasty characters out there, and we don’t have a lot to go on right now if we’re going to make sure they don’t catch up with your boss.”
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Mark opens his mouth to complain at Sila, but stops when he notices Llewelyn smirking at him.
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I understand. I’ll tell you all that I know, but he didn’t share everything with me in case just this sort of thing happened.”
5:45 PM <sila> “…what, he anticipated the possibilty of dragon slayers?”
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Cuban secret intelligence.”
5:46 PM <sila> “Ah, you mean the possibility of people accosting you in your office.”
5:46 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Yes ma’am.”
5:47 PM <havrasti> “Well, so we know you won’t have as much as we’d like, but let’s get on to what you do know without any more diversions.”
5:47 PM <ellie> “Our instructions at the moment are to stop the dragon slayers, though we’re not to either aid or interfere with what your boss is working on. But still… knowing where to find him would help.”
5:48 PM <sila> “In case the slayers – or the Cubans – know where to find the person he’s meeting with, for example.”
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “He’s meeting with the general who commands the Western military district of the Cuban Army. I think his name is… César Ramos? That sounds about right.”
5:52 PM <sila> “We can confirm the name from the title, I’m sure.”
5:53 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “He was supposed to meet with him sometime today. I don’t know his timeline.”
5:53 PM <sila> “Do you know anything about where the meeting is happening?”
5:54 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I believe at the General’s headquarters. Pedro… always managed to talk his way into those sorts of places, and then back out again.”
5:55 PM <ellie> “…Sounds risky. And… hm.” Ellie is thinking uncomfortably about how one might manage to do that. Like oh, say, magical means of influencing people..
5:55 PM <sila> “Well…if the general has the loyalty of his troops, that’s not so bad… does he?”
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “It’s unlikely that most of the General’s troops would disobey direct orders from their commander. In any case, Pedro’s plan is hopefully for them to stay in their barracks.”
5:58 PM <ellie> “I don’t know if it will end up relevant to us or not, but what do you know about Pedro’s own magical abilities?”
5:59 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Well, he can breathe water, and change from dragon to human and back again very quickly. He’s also extremely strong, even in his human form.”
6:00 PM * Sila begins texting Douglass while we talk: Please confirm name: Commander, Cuban Army Western Military District (Cesar Ramos?). Need map position, Cuban Army Western District HQ.
6:01 PM <ellie> “Okay, noted.” Ellie nods… and is secretly a little relieved that nothing like the Influence she experienced was listed. Also, hey, now we know that if he falls into water, it’s not an emergency. ;-)
6:02 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I think he can control water, too – make it do his bidding.”
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “But that’s my speculation.”
6:03 PM <havrasti> “Well, he is a water dragon.”
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “Does that mean that’s normal? I’ve only known one dragon.”
6:04 PM <sila> “Dragons have a thing – whatever goes with their quickening elements. It can be water or fire or something else.”
6:04 PM <sila> “Fire is most common, but lots of parents get creative with quickening, too.”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I’ll have to ask more, sometime.”
6:06 PM * Sila nods
6:06 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “In any case, the next stage in his plan, after meeting the General, is to head to Havana. Pro-democracy elements will be starting demonstrations today. He’ll probably show up to start speaking to the protestors.”
6:09 PM <ellie> “Hmm. I wonder just how the dragon hunters might plan in relation to that. Try and get to him before he reached it, to avoid public view and casualties? Or maybe just not care…”
6:09 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “If there’s a place the dragonhunters could anticipate finding him, then it must be outside the Palacio de la Revolución.”
6:10 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “…but there will be thousands of people there.”
6:11 PM <ellie> “Their manuals say that civilian casualties are acceptable.”
6:11 PM <sila> “I sure hope they care. The operation notes we found suggested otherwise though.”
6:12 PM <sila> “Did we find anything in the manuals about maintaining secrecy or not?”
6:12 PM <llewelyn>: “It appeared they do care, at least from what I saw in the books.”
6:14 PM <ellie> “So, the question is, is our best bet to find Pedro, and shadow him until we see sign of the dragon hunters, or to try and guess from where Pedro is where the dragon hunters will be, and try to intercept them somewhere else?”
6:16 PM <sila> “It depends a little on how bad the mission security is already blown. If they know about the meeting with the general, I would think the best place to intercept would be there, from both their and our perspectives.”
6:17 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. Yeah… kinda the earlier, the better. And we’ll need to talk to Pedro, anyway, to let him know what’s going on.”
6:18 PM <havrasti> “Anything else you can tell us?”
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Sila’s phone receives a text: “Cesar Ramos confirmed CO of the FAR’s Western Army command, headquartered in Havana.”
6:21 PM <sila> “Ah, the HQ is also in Havana. Convenient.”
6:22 PM <havrasti> “Seems everything is there, then.”
6:22 PM <ellie> “Most likely by design. The dragon hunters may be headed there because they expect Pedro to be there.”
6:22 PM <sila> “At least it limits our scope of serach from the whole nation to one city.”
6:23 PM <sila> “Even two particular parts of the city, and the space more or less in between the two.”
6:23 PM <ellie> “And a couple of locales within that city, if we figure the dragon hunters really do know what Pedro’s movements will be.”
6:24 PM <ellie> (Probably spoken at the same time. :-p)
6:26 PM <ellie> “Well… is there anything else you can think of that might help us help Pedro. If not… maybe it’s time we were off.”
6:26 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta: “I’m sorry, I can’t think of anything else.”
6:26 PM <sila> “Right, sorry – so if we can make it to the area of the army base before the meeting is over, we can sweep for slayers from there towards the Palacio.”
6:27 PM <ellie> “And hopefully touch base with Pedro at some point, to put him on his guard.”
6:27 PM <havrasti> “Alright, let’s be off and prepare for going there, then.”
6:28 PM <sila> “I’m not sure if that’s desirable or not Ellie – technically, if we divert the slayers and never so much as see Pedro, then we’d have best accomplished the goal of protecting him from the known threat without interfering with his own activities. The question is, can we head them off before they find him in the first place?”
6:30 PM <ellie> “I would not say that giving him information relevant to the preservation of his own life is equivalent to aiding or hindering his mission.”
6:30 PM <llewelyn> turns towards Carnildo and Charlotte as you prepare to leave: “Mar… Carnildo and Charlotte, you’re still in charge of Jacinta’s security. I expect Douglas will relieve you shortly.”
6:31 PM <ellie> “But we can figure things out on the way; we don’t know what we’ll find or when we’ll find it, so… improvisation seems to be the name of the game.”
6:31 PM <sila> “Thank you for your assistance Jacinta.”
6:31 PM * Sila heads out the door.
6:32 PM <ellie> “Yes, thank you. Take care. We’ll do our best to help your boss.”
6:32 PM * Ellie also leaves.
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Jacinta nods before you all leave.
6:33 PM <llewelyn>: “So… I guess we head out loaded for bear, huh?”
6:33 PM <havrasti> “You’re the boss, you ought to know.”
6:33 PM <ellie> “And for lion and tiger. I mean, why go half-measures?” Ellie’s voice is rather wry.
6:34 PM <havrasti> “But preferably, I’d be loaded for dragonslayers, not bears.”
6:34 PM <sila> “And warded for dragonslayers too.”
6:34 PM <sila> “Bulletproof vests and grounding wards and whatever else we know how to do in perparation for meeting homicidal mages.”
6:37 PM <ellie> “Have we ever been able to get info from Brennin on those collar things like the one my mom had to wear for a while? ’Cause some of those would come in handy about now…”
6:37 PM <ellie> “Presuming we could reach said homicidal mages.”
6:38 PM <llewelyn>: “Oops. I got an email about that… er, last week.”
6:38 PM <sila> “Well, are you remembering too late or just in time?”
6:39 PM <llewelyn>: “It was the same day I got the duck, so… well, it’s not so simple as just ‘slap the thing on the mage and it works.’”
6:39 PM <llewelyn>: “Making it shouldn’t be hard, but it has to be tuned to the person it gets used on.”
6:40 PM <ellie> “Hmm. Tricky. So… they managed it with my mom because they had her unconscious at first?”
6:40 PM <havrasti> “So more of a long term containment, rather than a slip it on in battle.”
6:41 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes.”
6:42 PM <llewelyn> gets out his tablet. “Let’s see… when was it…”
6:44 PM <llewelyn>: “Ah yes, there we go. The only thing is that the collar needs to be secured against physical violence… prepared with some simple mage-work, surprising just how easy… aaand there we go. It needs ten minutes to attune to the person it’s getting used to contain.”
6:44 PM <ellie> “…So, highly selective usability, then.”
6:45 PM <sila> “Good for containing prisoners, not for taking prisoners, check.”
6:45 PM <ellie> “Yeah. To play it safe, the person would either have to be unconscious or tied up with a menhir watch.”
6:47 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes – although we could probably tune it from a distance, if they’re not paying attention and remain in sight the entire time.”
6:48 PM <ellie> “But we don’t have any made up right now.”
6:48 PM <sila> “So can Maugrim make us a couple or four while we’re out and about, in case we’re about to need them?”
6:49 PM <sila> “Seeing as how summary devourment is against regulations.”
6:49 PM <llewelyn> stops and turns back toward the workshop.
6:49 PM * Sila sounds ironic not regretful about that comment
6:51 PM <sila> (( let the record show I said “Valgrim” above, since Maugrim is from a different story-world. ))
6:51 PM <ellie> ((Heee. Indeed.))
6:53 PM <havrasti> “I guess we shall, Sila.” ;)
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim is tinkering with something at his workbench. Distressingly, he has a strobe light going in the room, and is listening to-
6:53 PM <llewelyn>: “That is TERRIBLE music.”
6:54 PM * Sila turns off the strobe light
6:55 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Shut up, elf. Celine Dion is very special to … hey! The lights!”
6:55 PM <sila> “Hey Valgrim. Sorry to interrupt, but it’s an emergency, so we get to be as annoying as necessary.”
6:55 PM <sila> “We got specs on a new toy for you to build, though. We need three or more immediately.”
6:55 PM <sila> “Hopefully.”
6:55 PM <sila> “If not, somebody died.”
6:56 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim puts down his tinkering. “It’s always Valgrim emergency this, Valgrim end-of-the-world that, Valgrim zombie apocalypse my pasty white hind end…” He sighs. “What’s going to explode now?”
6:56 PM <sila> “Dragon-slayer mages.”
6:56 PM <ellie> “Hey, at least we don’t bug you when it’s less than an emergency…”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Oh, a toy, huh? To explode dragon-slaying mages? I guess I have to build it but can’t KEEP it, yes?”
6:57 PM <sila> “No, no. This toy prevents the explosions.”
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Bah, no fun in that.”
6:57 PM <sila> “If it works, we can keep the toys and the mages.”
6:58 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “At least Ellie is correct that you only bother me in REAL emergencies, not like that other oh-I-broke-a-nail-help-me-Valgrim-Magaron elvish nancy boy.”
6:59 PM <havrasti> “Meatshield, you mean?”
6:59 PM <sila> “And if you get as many as we need plus one, you can keep the extra to study and make /improvements/ – that’s more fun, am I right?”
7:00 PM <sila> “Oh! And if Carne bothers you in the meantime, you can tell him you’re busy with a prior emergency, heheh.”
7:02 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “I always have an emergency whenever he comes around asking for help. It’s because he’s in my sight and not off singing ‘Kumbayah’ in his Elvish nature habitat.”
7:03 PM * Havrasti stifles a laugh, mindful of the elf and half-elf present
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim looks at Llewelyn’s tablet. “Looks simple enough. Heh, Safeguard work, huh? Trust those stuffed-collar cockneys to make something like that… heh. How much time do you have?”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Wait.”
7:05 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Let me guess.”
7:06 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “However much time you have is fifteen minutes LESS than the time I’ll need to build them.”
7:06 PM <ellie> “Isn’t that usually how it goes?”
7:06 PM <ellie> “I mean… that’s true of any creative project, just by default.”
7:06 PM <sila> “Naturally, we don’t know. That’s part of what makes it an emergency, of course.”
7:06 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “So hurry up, Valgrim. It’s an emergency, Malgrim. Why aren’t you working yet, Malgrim?”
7:07 PM <sila> “Is Carne getting your names crossed, too?”
7:07 PM <sila> “…nevermind. If we stand around complaining about all the ways Carnildo annoys us we’ll be here all night, and we’ve got an emergency to deal with.”
7:08 PM <sila> “Four of these, and if we’re not back to annoy you yet, then you can go back to whatever you were doing under a strobe light.”
7:08 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “That little Elvish prick. Couldn’t pour water out of a boot if you put instructions on the heel…”
7:08 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “Please come back in an hour and turn the black lights on as you leave the room… That means… please leave the room.”
7:09 PM <sila> “Yeah, yeah.”
7:09 PM * Sila turns on the black lights anyway.
7:09 PM <llewelyn>: “Enjoy your horrible music.”
7:09 PM * Ellie snerks. “Of course. After all, it’s an emergency.”
7:09 PM <rkcgm> Valgrim: “It’s Celine Dion! She and I have a special bond. Now go away!”
7:09 PM <llewelyn> closes the door behind you all. “Horrible music.”
7:10 PM * Ellie gives Llewelyn a sidelong smirk. “You just have to pester him.”
7:11 PM <llewelyn>: “He secretly enjoys it.”
7:11 PM <ellie> “Oh, now you’re the mind-reader?” Ellie is still smirking.
7:11 PM <llewelyn>: “If he didn’t, he wouldn’t have been playing that music so loud.”
7:11 PM <sila> “You know, when I started here, I thought he was annoying. Now that I’ve met Carne, I’m revising my standards.”
7:12 PM <sila> “Stand still Havrasti, I want to cast an energy-ground on you.”
7:13 PM <llewelyn>: “As elves go, Carnildo’s barely thirty; he’s just a kid.”
7:14 PM <havrasti> “Uh, ok.”
7:14 PM * Havrasti stands still
7:14 PM <sila> “Mmm…guess that explains why he’s got the maturity of a human 16-year-old then?”
7:14 PM <ellie> “That thing with ages… I mean… if barely thirty is just a kid… he’s still had the same thirty years as an adult human to mature…”
7:15 PM <ellie> “Granted, a lot of adult humans are no more mature.”
7:15 PM <llewelyn> pauses.
7:15 PM <ellie> “But we can’t give them the ‘just a kid’ excuse, either.”
7:15 PM * Sila casts on Havrasti
7:16 PM <sila> !6d6: writing this down for later
7:16 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “writing this down for later”: (5+1+6+1+4+6). Total: 23.
7:16 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, uh. I probably shouldn’t talk, since when I was thirty, I was teaching in the Oseolteigh and one of the members of the Circle. But still, elves aren’t even expected to marry until they’re in their forties or fifties.”
7:17 PM <sila> “I’m not even thirty, and my mother is as old as our dating system. Nobody calls /me/ a kid.”
7:18 PM <sila> “Except mom, but that doesn’t count.”
7:18 PM <llewelyn>: “Different cultural expectations.”
7:18 PM <ellie> “Hehehe. Yes. To your mother, you’re always her baby. So Mom’s told me many-a-time.”
7:18 PM <sila> “I think that one might be universal. Stand still while I cast, please.”
7:18 PM <sila> !6d6: grounding ward on Ellie
7:18 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “grounding ward on Ellie”: (3+4+2+6+5+1). Total: 21.
7:20 PM * Ellie stands still.
7:20 PM <sila> ((Brock, since you said these would go as the enemy’s DCs to penetrate, I’m recordin them on my sheet for later use.))
7:20 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, thanks for that reminder.))
7:20 PM <sila> “OK done – Llewelyn, you want one? I’m never sure what you have another version of your own…”
7:21 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ll go for it. I’ve got something of my own, but it’s looking different enough to me that it might overlap.”
7:22 PM <sila> !6d6: grounding for Llewelyn
7:22 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “grounding for Llewelyn”: (5+6+3+1+1+4). Total: 20.
7:23 PM <sila> “OK…there you go. And can’t forget myself – definitely don’t want to be slain tonight.”
7:23 PM <sila> !6d6: and me
7:23 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “and me”: (3+6+6+2+1+3). Total: 21.
7:23 PM <sila> “OK, I’m done. Where to next?”
7:24 PM <havrasti> ((yay, both dragons have two 6s :) ))
7:24 PM <llewelyn>: “Let’s get some maps from Douglas – and I want to grab one or two things for myself. Then back here for the collars, and finally… Cuba.”
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((I propose that we end here – and start next time with heading out to Cuba.))
7:25 PM <sila> ((OK.))
7:25 PM <havrasti> ok
7:25 PM <sila> ((saved my warding values on Sila’s character sheet))
7:26 PM <ellie> Excellent. :-)
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:31 PM <rkcgm> After interrogating the captured dragonhunter and getting information from Jacinta, you have determined to go to Cuba to attempt to foil the efforts of the “Georgian Safari Club”.
4:31 PM <rkcgm> Sila has set up a portal to somewhere in Havana, and you have got all the gear you want, ready to step through.
4:31 PM <rkcgm> ((If you have any final equipment requests, please put them on record.))
4:32 PM <rkcgm> ((Also, Sila has a magic buff cast on all of us; I have it on record.))
4:33 PM * Sila is also wearing her mundane bulletproof vest in case of mundane bullets, of course
4:33 PM <ellie> Sila probably poked Ellie into also wearing a bulletproof vest.
4:34 PM <sila> (it’s easier than prodding her into carrying her Gun. Which Sila would also have attempted in this case. Sure, shooting people should be a last resort, but we have reason to suspect the “safari club” disagrees on that point, so…)
4:34 PM * Havrasti has his mundane equipment as well (vest, pistol, etc)
4:35 PM <ellie> ((Ellie probably caved. Reluctantly. ;-) )
4:35 PM <ellie> ((With no intention of actually using it.))
4:36 PM <llewelyn> has his staff (why’s he carrying that, of late?) but doesn’t seem to have much else.
4:36 PM <llewelyn>: “Ready?”
4:36 PM <sila> “Llewelyn. Seriously. No mundane equipment at all??”
4:37 PM <havrasti> “He’s a wizard, a good one, why does he need mundane equipment?”
4:37 PM <sila> “Because the other side also has multiple scary wizards supported by gun squads?”
4:38 PM <llewelyn> raises an eyebrow and smiles slightly. “If you want to try to shoot me to see what happens, go right ahead. Just beware of the ricochet, okay?”
4:38 PM <sila> “…right. I guess we’re ready enough.”
4:40 PM <sila> " (I can’t talk anyway can I? I’m clearly out of my mind,) "
4:41 PM <llewelyn>: “Obviously and clearly.”
4:41 PM <llewelyn>: “Where’s your portal going to take us today?”
4:42 PM <sila> “I aimed for outside the base where the meeting is supposed to happen; I think I got the back room of a bar.”
4:42 PM <sila> “If I believed in omens, I’d be concerned about how all my portals seem to end in alcholic beverage storage locations today.”
4:43 PM <ellie> “Heh. Let’s just hope it’s not going to turn into a literary motif.”
4:43 PM <llewelyn>: “I’m sure it’s nothing subconscious.”
4:43 PM <havrasti> “Eh, I’d wait till the third or fourth one to be concerned, if you were going to be concerned at all.”
4:45 PM <sila> “Right well…let’s get this circus on the road.”
4:45 PM <llewelyn> waits to go through the portal.
4:45 PM * Ellie will go not-first and not-last.
4:45 PM * Sila trusts her own portal enough to go first :P
4:46 PM * Havrasti heads through
4:46 PM * Ellie wasn’t concerned about the portal; she was just figuring she shouldn’t be the first on the other end. ;-)
4:46 PM * Ellie follows Havrasti through.
4:47 PM <llewelyn> heads on through last.
4:48 PM <rkcgm> Sila is correct in assessing that the portal probably ended up in the back room of a bar. It’s empty, however, and the entire place seems run-down.
4:49 PM * Sila carefully explores in search of the front windows (for to examine the street) and the back door (for to exit in a less conspicuous location maybe)
4:49 PM * Ellie listens telepathically for anyone in the area
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Sila: Out the front door, there seems to be a not-very-busy street; back door looks like it’s chained shut.
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Ellie, nobody in the immediate vicinity.
4:51 PM <sila> ((is the front door not chained shut??))
4:51 PM <rkcgm> ((It’s not, but it is locked.))
4:51 PM <ellie> “Well, the immediate area seems pretty clear,” she whispers.
4:53 PM * Havrasti looks around for a not-locked way out
4:53 PM <havrasti> “Hmm, can you open a lock, Llewelyn?”
4:54 PM <llewelyn>: “Let’s see…”
4:54 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: sorc versus standard
4:54 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “sorc versus standard”: (3+3+3+6+1+5+2+4). Total: 27.
4:54 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: vs standard
4:54 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “vs standard”: (6+5+4). Total: 15.
4:55 PM <rkcgm> The lock clicks open with a slightly ungreased steel squeal.
4:57 PM <llewelyn> opens the door: “Well, shall we?”
4:58 PM <havrasti> “Let’s.”
4:58 PM * Ellie nods and prepares to follow the others.
4:58 PM * Havrasti goes out the door and keeps an eye out for trouble
4:59 PM <rkcgm> Down the road, you can see a barbed wire fence which probably belongs to the military base; one block over seems to be the main drag of the neighborhood.
4:59 PM <rkcgm> Also, the temperature is over eighty degrees, with humidity.
4:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Ug.”
5:00 PM <havrasti> (hey, it’s only 80, must be winter :P ;) )
5:01 PM <rkcgm> ((I think this’d be early spring?))
5:02 PM <havrasti> ((huh, checking, wiki, it doesn’t get that hot there, 80 is about right O.o))
5:02 PM <rkcgm> ((Ocean influence.))
5:04 PM * Ellie keeps up a telepathy scan in the area around us, wanting to be able to give warning if we’re about to run into anyone, as well as to know what their disposition might be.
5:05 PM <sila> “What, did you remember your magical bullet proofing and forget your temperature control? This is a Caribbean ilsand you know.”
5:06 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t forget my temperature control – I just don’t have it active all the time, particularly when it’s unnecessary.”
5:08 PM <sila> “Well. Shall we skulk suspiciously around the perimeter and see if we catch anyone else doing likewise?”
5:08 PM <llewelyn>: “Sounds good to me.”
5:08 PM <llewelyn>: “You want an illusion as cover?”
5:09 PM <ellie> “Probably for the best. I could make us invisible, but I’m currently trying to ‘listen’ for anyone in the area; my concentration might be best kept there.”
5:09 PM <havrasti> “She can be invisible, remember?”
5:09 PM <ellie> “/She/ can, yes. But the rest of us…”
5:09 PM <sila> “Well I can just be invisible if I need to but for the group as a whole…Sure, lets look like drunken cubans, since we came out of a bar anyway.”
5:10 PM <ellie> “…But not so drunk as to draw law enforcement attention…”
5:10 PM <sila> “Well, yeah.”
5:11 PM <ellie> “Just saying, drunk can be conspicuous, too…” Ellie shrugs.
5:11 PM <sila> “Maybe even half-drunken soldiers?”
5:11 PM <sila> “But occifer, we can’t fiiiiiind the gate.”
5:11 PM * Ellie snerks.
5:12 PM <sila> “Not sure I can do a proper drunken slur impression in Spanish though.”
5:13 PM <llewelyn> snorts, but grinds the bottom of his staff into the ground and does something. Nothing appears to change…
5:13 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: illusion versus difficult
5:13 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “illusion versus difficult”: (4+3+6+3+1+4+3). Total: 24.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus illusion
5:13 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus illusion”: (2+4+3+1+4). Total: 14.
5:13 PM <rkcgm> …but Llewelyn seems satisfied.
5:15 PM * Havrasti looks around, “Um, only others can see?”
5:17 PM <llewelyn>: “Well. What’s the main aspect of a good illusion? Misdirection. If anyone looks at us, their eye will be drawn away by something more interesting.”
5:17 PM <havrasti> “huh, clever.”
5:18 PM <llewelyn>: “Not exactly as efficient as pure invisibility. Because we can still be seen… people just aren’t going to look at us long enough to care.”
5:18 PM <ellie> “So, a Shield of Boringness.”
5:18 PM <llewelyn> chuckles.
5:18 PM <sila> “Works for me.”
5:18 PM <sila> “… /have/ you read the Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?”
5:19 PM * Havrasti heads on towards the base and looks for a good spot to observe
5:20 PM <llewelyn>: “You’re asking me if I’ve read a book?”
5:20 PM * Ellie chuckles.
5:21 PM <ellie> “Well, I don’t know. You hadn’t read [titles of the books those two literary professors had written].”
5:21 PM <ellie> ((Too lazy to look up right now. Insert titles in the brackets. :-p ;-) ))
5:21 PM <llewelyn>: “True, but that was in a specialty field that isn’t my OWN specialty field.”
5:21 PM <llewelyn> continues walking around with Havrasti, keeping an eye open for things.
5:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll perception versus difficult.))
5:22 PM <ellie> “So you’re saying Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is in your specialty field?”
5:22 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (5+2+1+6+1). Total: 15.
5:22 PM <sila> “You’ve only been on Earth so many years, and there’s a lot of books to get through.”
5:22 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: Llewelyn’s perception
5:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s perception”: (3+2+5+6+4+2). Total: 22.
5:22 PM <ellie> !7d7: perception with sharpened notice
5:22 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “perception with sharpened notice”: (2+1+4+3+7+1+2). Total: 20.
5:22 PM <ellie> …
5:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Um. Yeah.))
5:22 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
5:22 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (3+6+4+3+6). Total: 22.
5:22 PM <ellie> ((Re-rolling because used wrong dice syntax))
5:22 PM <sila> !5d6: perception
5:22 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “perception”: (5+5+5+4+2). Total: 21.
5:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit :D :P ))
5:23 PM <havrasti> !2d6
5:23 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “2d6”: (3+3). Total: 6.
5:23 PM <ellie> !7d6: perception with sharpened notice
5:23 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “perception with sharpened notice”: (6+3+1+3+6+5+4). Total: 28.
5:23 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti gets a red.))
5:24 PM <rkcgm> About a block away, Havrasti spots a window curtain on a second-floor building open, and then close again.
5:24 PM <havrasti> (anything important about the building itself?)
5:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Doesn’t seem to be. Nondescript sort of two-story house or apartment; kinda run-down.))
5:26 PM <ellie> ((Ellie’s been keeping telepathy going since we got here, incidentally, but if her attention is directed at that building, she can focus there.)
5:27 PM <havrasti> “Anything going on in there? I saw someone at the window.”
5:28 PM <llewelyn> looks. “The kinda red-faded one?”
5:28 PM * Ellie takes Havrasti’s cue and focuses her telepathy in that direction.
5:28 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy
5:28 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy”: (2+6+5+6+4+4). Total: 27.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:28 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (6+1+2+6+6). Total: 21.
5:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit.))
5:29 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
5:29 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (1+2). Total: 3.
5:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Hmm.))
5:29 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue.))
5:31 PM <ellie> ((Okay, can keep the 6,6 and re-roll the 2,4,4,5))
5:31 PM <ellie> !4d6: keeping 6,6
5:31 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping 6,6”: (4+5+2+2). Total: 13.
5:32 PM <ellie> ((Well… can do green…))
5:32 PM <ellie> ((To repeat that.))
5:32 PM <ellie> ((Or… can wait, as told))
5:32 PM <rkcgm> ((You know what, I’m going to offer to use that blue and one of the party reds to force GM re-roll.))
5:33 PM <ellie> ((Better deal for us, really.))
5:33 PM <sila> ((agreed))
5:33 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficult versus roll
5:33 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficult versus roll”: (4+4+1+3+5). Total: 17.
5:33 PM <sila> ((when you can crit and still fail, it’s time to make the DC change))
5:34 PM <ellie> ((Heh. Yes.))
5:34 PM <ellie> ((Sooo much better. ;-) ))
5:34 PM <havrasti> ((yep))
5:37 PM <rkcgm> Ellie is able to reach out and detect several people located in the upper room; all of them have some sort of mental guarding (perhaps some sort of spell on a hat?) but she is able to determine at least four individuals present.
5:38 PM * Ellie whispers to the others, “I think we’ve located at least some of our dragon-hunters. They’re warded against telepathy, so I can’t hear what they’re thinking, but I can tell there are four of them.”
5:40 PM <llewelyn>: “Shall we go pay them a visit?”
5:40 PM <ellie> “Probably. How many were we told to expect, again?”
5:41 PM <ellie> “My only concern is if there are others in the area we don’t know about who might get to Pedro while we’re busy here.”
5:43 PM <llewelyn>: “There’s a plane-load of them – probably sixty?”
5:43 PM <havrasti> “This might be a watch post, then, to cover the main group.”
5:44 PM <ellie> “Well.. it’s not ideal, then, but I guess it’ll have to do…”
5:45 PM <llewelyn> starts heading toward the building, moving to get out of line-of-sight of anyone at the window.
5:45 PM * Ellie follows Llewelyn
5:46 PM * Havrasti also follows
5:46 PM <sila> “I hope we’re not about to burst in on Pedro and the general…”
5:47 PM <sila> “I mean, it could be worse, but still.”
5:47 PM <ellie> “I almost think that would be better. Then we could put Pedro on guard.”
5:47 PM <ellie> “But either way…”
5:48 PM <llewelyn> stops at the door and checks it for locks.
5:48 PM <llewelyn>: “Hm, unlocked. Unexpected…”
5:49 PM <sila> “Trapped?”
5:49 PM <sila> “Ambush site?”
5:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll perception.))
5:49 PM <sila> !5d6
5:49 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “5d6”: (2+1+6+4+1). Total: 14.
5:49 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
5:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (6+3+3+4). Total: 16.
5:50 PM <ellie> !7d6: Perception, sharpened notice
5:50 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: Llewelyn’s perception
5:50 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Perception, sharpened notice”: (6+3+3+5+3+3+4). Total: 27.
5:50 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s perception”: (4+1+5+3+2+5). Total: 20.
5:50 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
5:50 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (2+6+4+3+2). Total: 17.
5:51 PM <havrasti> ((looks like only Ellie :P ))
5:51 PM <sila> ((Ellie’s on a roll so far :) ))
5:52 PM <rkcgm> As Llewelyn eases open the unlocked door, Ellie just barely manages to catch sight of a small device clipped to the inside door-frame. It looks like a motion sensor, and opening the door just triggered it.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Sila, please roll speed versus difficult
5:52 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus difficult
5:52 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus difficult”: (3+3+2+1+5). Total: 14.
5:53 PM <sila> !5d6: do it fast…
5:53 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “do it fast…”: (1+2+2+5+2). Total: 12.
5:53 PM <sila> ((ugh again. Anybody got a red?))
5:54 PM <havrasti> ((have a red))
5:54 PM <sila> ((thanks))
5:54 PM <sila> !5d6: no really
5:54 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “no really”: (4+5+1+5+1). Total: 16.
5:54 PM <rkcgm> ((Success. At least sufficiently so.))
5:55 PM <rkcgm> Sila: Ellie spots and telepathically directs your attention to the motion sensor, and you are probably fast enough to mute the warning… roll your techmagic versus difficult.
5:56 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
5:56 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (6+3+1+2+3). Total: 15.
5:56 PM <sila> !6d6: what trigger? must be a glitch. Self-test?
5:56 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “what trigger? must be a glitch. Self-test?”: (5+2+4+6+3+6). Total: 26.
5:56 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit))
5:58 PM <sila> !2d6
5:58 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “2d6”: (1+4). Total: 5.
5:58 PM <rkcgm> Sila ‘snags’ the signal from the motion sensor before it can actually sound the alarm.
5:59 PM <rkcgm> It’s a little battery-powered motion sensor that could be easily clipped to the wall – in this case, shallowly nailed in.
6:00 PM * Sila tells the the sensor to allarm if and only if there “motion detected” is true AND “motion detected” is falste. That should keep it quiet.
6:02 PM <sila> “That was close.”
6:03 PM * Ellie nods
6:04 PM <sila> ((wireless?))
6:12 PM <rkcgm> The sensor is thoroughly certain it knows what it’s doing, and happily remains silent.
6:16 PM * Ellie wonders something…
6:17 PM * Havrasti keeps an ear out for talking among the people in the room
6:17 PM <sila> (whispering) “I can check the motion flag directly, but it’s currently working on the principle that it only needs to sound an alarm if someone else messes with its programming first.”
6:17 PM * Ellie attempts a lightbending to essentially act as a mirror that only we can see, allowing us to view what’s going on around the corner.
6:17 PM <ellie> !6d6: Lightbending
6:17 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Lightbending”: (1+3+3+1+1+1). Total: 10.
6:18 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate difficulty
6:18 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate difficulty”: (5+5+6+6). Total: 22.
6:18 PM <ellie> ((Well that’s getting a re-roll…))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Well, you can do that, but it’ll be two-way unless you re-roll.))
6:19 PM <ellie> ((Unless someone would like to donate a red, I’ll use my own green.))
6:19 PM <havrasti> ((have a red))
6:19 PM <ellie> !6d6: lightbending
6:19 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “lightbending”: (2+5+5+2+5+2). Total: 21.
6:19 PM <ellie> ((Well… it’s no longer a crit failure now… :-p))
6:20 PM <ellie> ((Leaving it stand there; just didn’t want a crit fail.))
6:20 PM <havrasti> ((oh well))
6:21 PM <ellie> The thing Ellie has never tried before… works like something she’s never tried. :-p At least it didn’t’ give us all away.
6:21 PM * Ellie decides she’ll have to practice that maneuver.
6:22 PM <llewelyn> makes a motion in order to magically muffle the sound of our feet on the stairs.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: illusion versus intermediate
6:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “illusion versus intermediate”: (5+4+2+2+5+5+3). Total: 26.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
6:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (1+4+1+5). Total: 11.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Adequate.))
6:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry, fly flew into my face. This insult could not be forgiven and swift-death-justice had to be meted out upon the malefactor.))
6:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Avenged twofold.))
6:29 PM <rkcgm> Ellie makes a quick-and-dirty ‘mirror’ to peer around corners, but it’s probably going to show you to anyone looking in the right direction, too.
6:30 PM * Sila goes invisible if she hadn’t already
6:32 PM <llewelyn> heads up the stairs to the second floor.
6:32 PM <llewelyn>: “Sila, detecting any electronics upstairs?”
6:33 PM * Ellie goes along, keeping watch on her makeshift reflective spell
6:34 PM * Sila “listens” for more electronics
6:34 PM <sila> !6d6: talk to me, house
6:34 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “talk to me, house”: (6+4+2+1+3+4). Total: 20.
6:35 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
6:35 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (5+4+2+2). Total: 13.
6:35 PM * Havrasti follows with the group, staying alert, weapon ready
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Sila: the bad guys upstairs apparently have a not-inconsiderable amount of electronics equipment, including something like a tactical radio-based intranet. One of them is talking on it via voice.
6:37 PM <sila> “Hold up – there’s /interesting/ electronics up there.”
6:37 PM * Sila listens to the radio ;)
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Voice in Room: “Any updates?” Voice on radio: “Looks like they’re preparing to move out in five or ten minutes. Are you prepared to take the shot?” Voice in room: “Ready and waiting.”
6:42 PM <havrasti> (tsk, not a good thing)
6:42 PM <sila> “Sniper stand.”
6:43 PM <sila> (w) “That’s what this, a sniper blind.”
6:43 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, let’s take them out, then. Perhaps put their microphones on mute and we can silence them quickly?”
6:44 PM * Sila makes sure the guys above aren’t in the middle of a sentence, then cuts off their mics.
6:44 PM <llewelyn>: “Ready?”
6:44 PM <sila> “Done.”
6:44 PM <havrasti> “…Too bad we don’t know what their target looks like, or you could make an illusion of him, and they report him taken out.”
6:45 PM <sila> “The spotter would probably know the difference though.”
6:46 PM <llewelyn> heads for the door to the occupied room.
6:47 PM * Havrasti follows
6:47 PM * Ellie drops her mirroring magic, and instead tries to make us all invisibble.
6:47 PM <ellie> !6d6: magic defense
6:47 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “magic defense”: (2+4+4+2+4+6). Total: 22.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus
6:47 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (4+6+2). Total: 12.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Success.))
6:50 PM <llewelyn> opens the door, lifts his staff, and… (Roll speed for init.)
6:50 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : Speed
6:50 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Speed”: (4+6+6+3). Total: 19.
6:50 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Llewelyn
6:50 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn”: (1+3+6+1). Total: 11.
6:50 PM <sila> !5d6: speed
6:50 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “speed”: (5+4+5+2+6). Total: 22.
6:50 PM <ellie> !5d6
6:50 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “5d6”: (6+3+5+4+3). Total: 21.
6:53 PM <rkcgm> ((So… Havrasti, Sila, Ellie, Llewelyn.))
6:53 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI
6:54 PM * Havrasti delays for Llewelyn to open the door
6:55 PM <rkcgm> ((It’s open.))
6:55 PM <havrasti> ((ah, ok))
6:55 PM * Havrasti looks through the door at targets, staying in cover
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Inside, Havrasti spots two men, both wearing wireless headsets; one has a sniper rifle set up on the table, ready to use, while the other has a spotting scope and is checking out the window.
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Neither have noticed you yet.
6:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Fair fights are for suckers!))
6:57 PM * Havrasti looks for the other two
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll perception.))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus roll
6:58 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (5+5+1). Total: 11.
6:58 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
6:58 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (4+2+2+2+6). Total: 16.
6:58 PM <havrasti> ((hmm, and we’re invisible, so…))
6:59 PM <rkcgm> You can see the other two men… er, actually women… in the next room over, to the right.
7:00 PM <havrasti> ((and what are they doing?))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> ((They appear to be watching out the window; otherwise, not much.))
7:01 PM * Havrasti will sneak in while invisible and try to hit the sniper over the head to knock him out
7:02 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll dex to sneakily attack.))
7:02 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Dex + Stealth
7:02 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Dex + Stealth”: (5+1+4+5+2). Total: 17.
7:03 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: the sniper is not aware you’re there, and isn’t moving.
7:03 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “the sniper is not aware you’re there, and isn’t moving.”: (4+3). Total: 7.
7:03 PM <havrasti> (would the wrestling skill also apply?))
7:03 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure :P ))
7:03 PM <havrasti> ((nvm, no point :P ))
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti smacks the sniper over the head. The guy had no idea what hit him; he drops to the floor and drops his rifle. The two women and the spotter all look up.
7:05 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: their perception
7:05 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “their perception”: (6+2+4). Total: 12.
7:05 PM * Havrasti tries to back off
7:05 PM <rkcgm> ((None of them see you.))
7:07 PM <havrasti> ((I guess I’m done then, after getting into a position to react if someone tries to go for the rifle))
7:09 PM <rkcgm> The spotter instead picks up his (muted!) radio. “Lockwood, there’s someone in here with us, invisible!”
7:09 PM * Sila hijacks the unconscious guy’s tac-net tansmitter and turns down the power to “very very local” (just the other three)
7:10 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “All your base are belong to us. Surrender, we’d rather not have to kill you just to stop you from committing murder.”
7:11 PM * Sila tells the very very local tac-net “We have this whole value of sapient life thing we care about.”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> The two women stand up; one puts a hand to her ear. “What is this? Are you Cuban police? We have permission from the highest level…”
7:12 PM <sila> “Fascinating but irrelevant.”
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Spotter: “…uh.. Lockwood? Is this thing on? Oh bleep.”
7:13 PM <sila> “Please surrender, or we will find it necessary to use force. Additional force, I mean.”
7:14 PM * Sila hopes Ellie can hear this a little without a headset :P
7:15 PM * Ellie is hearing Sila’s end of things. So she knows that Sila’s already offered mercy, if that’s what Sila’s hoping for. ;-)
7:15 PM <sila> ((it it wasn’t obvous, I am talking only through their headsets, not aloud. No need to give away my position here.))
7:16 PM <rkcgm> The taller of the two women holds her hands out. “We do not wish to fight, but we do not intend to surrender.”
7:16 PM <sila> ((But that means it’s a lot easier to hear the enemy’s side of the conversation))
7:16 PM * Sila tells the tac-net, "What third option do you propose? I’ll accept “scrub the mission and go home” perhaps."
7:17 PM <ellie> ((Then if you want Ellie to hear what you’re saying, we can say she’s hearing telepathically, perhaps.))
7:17 PM * Sila tells the tac-net, “Well…assuming you /can/ go home. You base belongs to us, and that’s not a video game quote.”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> The shorter woman rolls her eyes. “If you want to talk, then talk. If you want to fight, let’s get it done with.”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> The taller woman raises a hand. “Wait. Our base?”
7:19 PM <sila> “Unmoored pocket dimension? Dead heads decor, very heavy duty un-welcome mat?”
7:19 PM <rkcgm> The shorter woman says something obscene in Italian.
7:20 PM <rkcgm> Taller: “Calm down, Angela.”
7:20 PM <havrasti> ((presumably Ellie is relying Sila’s side of the conversation to the rest of us?))
7:21 PM <ellie> ((If the party wishes, sure.))
7:21 PM <sila> (telepathy, hoping Ellie is listening) “What do you think, is it doing any good to point out how on-top of this we are, or just making them mad?”
7:24 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
7:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (5+3+6+1). Total: 15.
7:24 PM <ellie> !7d6: Ellie reads people sometimes; what is she sensing?
7:24 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Ellie reads people sometimes; what is she sensing?”: (6+2+5+1+2+6+1). Total: 23.
7:25 PM <rkcgm> Ellie, you can determine that everything that’s been said so far has made the Corti sisters… very, very wary.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> They’ll fight you if you attack – and they think they can win – but at this point, they know too little about who they’re facing to be comfortable attacking first.
7:28 PM * Ellie telepathies Sila, /They’re ready to fight back if we attack, and they’re very much on guard, but they don’t know enough about us to be comfortable as the aggressors. So… I can’t tell, other than that it’s on us./
7:29 PM * Ellie adds, /We can try talking, but we didn’t have very long before they were supposed to ‘take the shot,’ and who knows what the rest of their team has planned as back-up? Especially if they notice a silent comm…/
7:30 PM <sila> ((maybe we can keep them busy until they miss the shot… but whatever. I’m gonna keep ‘em talking if I can while you all set up whatever you’re doing. As long as they’re talking to me they’re not casting, right?"
7:31 PM <sila> ^ Telepathy at Ellie
7:31 PM * Sila tells the tac-net ""Look, I hear you’re involved with this…ah, organization…looking for some kind of justice. This isn’t it though. You know this isn’t the guy, and it’s obviously gone off the rails already. Why not stand down?"
7:31 PM * Ellie replies, /Fair enough, though I don’t think we should be tied up here when they /miss/ their shot…/
7:31 PM * Ellie telepathies the plan to Havrasti and Llewelyn.
7:34 PM * Havrasti acknowledges telepathically
7:34 PM <havrasti> ((Want to bet they’ve never encountered a techno dragon? ;) ))
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Taller sister: “We’re listening.”
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Shorter sister: “Why should we? How do these people know so much?”
7:35 PM <sila> ((Well let’s see. Esserea doesn’t have the tech for it…Earth doesn’t have the /dragons/ for it…Sila’s probably the first one ever. Have the met Sila before? No?))
7:35 PM <rkcgm> Taller: “Angela – calm down.”
7:36 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “How we know so much is obviously the reason why you should.”
7:36 PM * Sila tells the very very local tac-net “Or at least, the fact that we know so much. It took us bare minutes to find you.”
7:37 PM <rkcgm> Serena (taller sister): “Do you know the information we’re looking for?”
7:38 PM * Sila tells the tac-net, “The information you’re looking for…you mean the identity of the parcitular dragon? I’m sorry, not yet.”
7:41 PM <rkcgm> Serena relaxes a little. “Ah. Then you’re not omniscient. That’s good to know, if slightly disappointing. Tell me – why are you intervening to save a skinwalking monster?”
7:41 PM * Havrasti stifles a derisive snerk
7:43 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “Not /all/ dragons are monsters, any more than all humans or all elves or all goblins.”
7:44 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “Did you give this one a fair trial?”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Angela: “Tell that to my sister, you ghost freak!”
7:44 PM <rkcgm> Serena: “Quiet, Angela. Please calm down.”
7:45 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “You can tell it to my father too – his killer was human, as it happens. How much did that matter to me, growing up fatherless?”
7:45 PM <rkcgm> Angela falls silent.
7:46 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “But the person who deserved to be executed for that crime doesn’t pass on his guilt to his whole species, or even his whole race. I can’t go killing all British guys just because their island produced at least one murderer.”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> Serena’s face makes a very slight twitch. “You’re a dragon, then?” Not human, at very least."
7:47 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “No, not human. But that’s also beside the point, yes? I still value human lives.”
7:47 PM * Havrasti watches what the spotter is doing
7:48 PM <rkcgm> The spotter seems to be ‘on pause’ – he knows he’s not being attacked, and his two backups are doing some sort of talky thing.
7:49 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “What I’m saying is, if you go around killing anyone just because of their race or species or anything else they’re born with, you aren’t doing justice. You’re acting like a monster. Is that the legacy you want to give your sister, really?”
7:49 PM * Ellie is, at this point, waiting to see how the talk goes before doing anything more than what she’s done.
7:49 PM <sila> ((prisoner-guy can’t say I didn’t try!))
7:49 PM <ellie> ((Indeed. ;-) ))
7:52 PM <rkcgm> Angela seems poised to retort, but Serena gets in the first word. “Who in this world will provide justice if we don’t take it ourselves? There is no government or carabineri in the world who would not laugh if we told the truth of our story! No one believes it.”
7:53 PM * Sila tells the tac-net, “The cuban government believes in dragons, if they really gave you permission. Our government does too, or we woudln’t be here. Is ‘a dragon did it’ the sticking point of the story? If so, I can name at least three other governments that would, if you talk to the right people.”
7:54 PM <rkcgm> There is a momentarily stunned silence.
7:54 PM <rkcgm> Serena: “…since WHEN?”
7:55 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “Since decades ago, I gather. I found out a bit more recently.”
7:55 PM <rkcgm> The two sisters exchange a look.
7:55 PM * Sila tells the very very local tac-net “Maybe we have more to talk about than we can easily cover here, yes?”
7:57 PM <rkcgm> Serena: “Perhaps…”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Angela whispers to Serena (but you can all hear it): “If governments are involved, they don’t usually like to have rivals. Do you think the Club would…”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Serena whispers back: “Make them an offer they can’t refuse?”
7:59 PM <rkcgm> Angela: “…Lockwood would refuse. Probably a few of the others…”
8:01 PM <rkcgm> The radio chirps. “Hey, I said comm check! They’re heading to the cars.”
8:01 PM * Sila tells the very very local tac-net “Look, I had a mage refuse justice to the point of death on my last case. It was messy and wasteful – a life that didn’t need to end. I’d rather not do that any more often than necessary.”
8:03 PM * Sila tells the tac-net “The goblin mage couldn’t see any other possible life than the one he was already pursuing; but his only apparent motivation was greed. Tell me can see further than him.”
8:03 PM <sila> ((tell me YOU can))
8:04 PM * Sila feeds the main com net a burst of static
8:04 PM <rkcgm> The two sisters glance at each other uncomfortably.
8:06 PM <sila> (telepathy) “I hope you guys are in place to black-jack them or soemthing if they say no…”
8:06 PM <rkcgm> Serena: “How about… we’ll stand down and walk away. Pick a place for us to meet in a few weeks – not here in Cuba. We’ll talk more with you there. Is that sufficient?”
8:07 PM <sila> (telepathy) “Relay for Llewelyn: yes/no/maybe? Location suggestions?”
8:07 PM * Ellie conveys the telepathy.
8:08 PM * Ellie also adds the question of whether Brennin would be a good meeting location.
8:08 PM <ellie> Or whether that’s just a bad idea.
8:09 PM <llewelyn>: [t] <yes,><rkcgm> The four of them are quickly clear of the house.
8:19 PM * Sila waits until they’re out of the room, then puts on a headset
8:20 PM <sila> (finally out loud) “I’m shocked – it actually worked! I can’t wait to tell short-and-surprised-to-be-alive.”
8:20 PM <sila> “So what now – shall we pretend to be the team and give the other guys a com check?”
8:21 PM <rkcgm> The radio buzzes again, and a very cultured English voice comes on the line. “To whoever took out our watch post, I’d like to have a few words with you.”
8:21 PM <ellie> “I think pretending is out of the question.”
8:21 PM <sila> “Well, that answers that I guess.”
8:21 PM <sila> “Shall we talk some more?”
8:21 PM <ellie> “We should probably find out what words this person has.”
8:21 PM <llewelyn>: “Agreed.”
8:22 PM <ellie> “We might have a few words for them, too.”
8:22 PM <havrasti> "Yes. Also, I’ve got the rifle.
8:22 PM * Ellie stifles a chuckle.
8:22 PM <sila> (to radio) “Go ahead.”
8:23 PM * Sila hands Llewelyn the other headset
8:23 PM <ellie> ((How many headsets are there? Because Ellie might also want to get in on talk for this round. ;-) ))
8:24 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “My target just drove out the back gate without so much as a fare-thee-well. I presume we have you to thank for this unforeseen hiccup?”
8:24 PM <sila> (to radio) “Obviously.”
8:24 PM * Ellie looks around and finds an unused headset. She’s ready to get in on discussion.
8:25 PM <rkcgm> ((There are a total of four headsets.))
8:25 PM * Havrasti takes one as well
8:25 PM <havrasti> ((convenient ;) ))
8:25 PM <ellie> ((There were, conveniently, four enemies. ;-) ))
8:26 PM <havrasti> ((ah yes, and told to leave their equipment))
8:26 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “May I ask to what we owe the pleasure?”
8:26 PM <sila> (to radio) “We don’t approve of people running around comitting racially-motivated murders.”
8:27 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Such lofty motives – such base accusations. I won’t ask you, then, who you are – I doubt you’d tell me the truth if you even answered at all.”
8:28 PM <ellie> “We’d tell you the truth /if/ we answered. But I doubt we will.”
8:29 PM <sila> (on the air) "We also don’t approve of politically-motivated murders. Or greed. Or power-hungry, or murders at all. You /are/ here to commit murder, we just took a sniper rifle away from your “watchman”
8:30 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Then you’re not Cuban police, nor are you General Ramos’s stooges. Interesting.”
8:30 PM <ellie> “…I am sooo curious from what you deduce that. Are you saying that the former two would not have cared that you suspected them of being liars?”
8:31 PM <sila> (off the air) “…or that they would speak Spanish, or with a Cuban accent… Let’s move guys, we can bring the radio with us.”
8:32 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice. “Of course. If you were Cubans, you’d know that I have priority here, straight from the top levels.”
8:32 PM <sila> “But since we are not, we clearly do not care.”
8:33 PM * Ellie readies herself to move along.
8:33 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Of course, if you were Cubans, the Corti sisters would have dealt with you quite efficiently. The fact that you now have their radio implies that you have bested them.”
8:33 PM <llewelyn>: “You might say that.”
8:34 PM * Sila grabs the useful gear and heads down the stairs
8:34 PM * Ellie follows Sila. She is, incidentally, keeping up the invisibility cover; she never did drop it.
8:35 PM <sila> “I dunno, there must be someone in Cuba who knows a mage from a tall tale, or else how would you get your top level priorities? We should learn more about that sometime.”
8:37 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: "The Cubans called me because they have no one that could hope to stop one pathetic, talkative, shapeshifting dragon – one that has no magic worth the name, even. They called me because I am Very Good at my job.
8:37 PM * Havrasti opens the door and waits a bit before exiting, looking around cautiously
8:37 PM <sila> (off radio) “What do you think, will the place be watched? Or shall we go ahead and walk invisibly out the front door?”
8:38 PM <ellie> (off radio) “The less seen of us, the better, of course; is there an alternative?”
8:38 PM <sila> (off radio) “We can look for a back door.” (on radio) “Your job’s going wrong. Everyone has bad days, though, right?”
8:40 PM <ellie> (on radio) “And since we’re exchanging words on your job… exactly how do you justify this job of yours? What makes it one you feel right about getting as good at as you say?”
8:41 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “We all have challenges we must overcome in life. As for justification… well, a man has to eat.”
8:42 PM <sila> (on radio) “Ever considered getting a job that doesn’t require killing people?”
8:42 PM <sila> (on radio) “They come with great benefits, like nobody trying to kill you back.”
8:43 PM <ellie> “And a clear conscience. If you have one of those.”
8:43 PM * Sila searches for a back door
8:43 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “I tried gardening once, but the tedium was just too much for me.”
8:44 PM <rkcgm> ((There is a back door, and you successfully leave by it. Looks like the Corti sisters ALSO left by it.))
8:44 PM <havrasti> (off air) “I don’t think he’ll be talked out of this.”
8:44 PM <ellie> (off air) “Not /really/ trying. Just trying to plant seeds.”
8:44 PM <sila> (off air) “I think this is probably the guy that the sisters suspected wouldn’t take an ‘offer he couldn’t refuse.’ so…maybe not, but it probably won’t hurt to try.”
8:44 PM <ellie> “And put out feelers.”
8:45 PM <sila> (on air) “Did you want something in particular, or just to be sure that the locals weren’t turning on you?”
8:45 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Tell me, dragoness… give me one true answer to a question I ask, and I’ll give you one true answer in return, sworn by Vow.”
8:46 PM <havrasti> (off air) “Are you tracking where the signals are coming from, Sila?”
8:46 PM <ellie> (on air) “To whom do you speak?”
8:46 PM <sila> ((off air)) “Uh…let me try now.”
8:46 PM <sila> ((no dicebot though))
8:46 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “The other female on the line. I hear the magic masking her dragon’s voice as human.”
8:46 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficulty
8:46 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty”: (1+1+5+2+2). Total: 11.
8:47 PM <sila> !6d6: location
8:47 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “location”: (3+3+3+2+6+5). Total: 22.
8:47 PM <ellie> “Intriguing. I stipulate that she has the right of refusal, in which case she forefeits her right to a question.”
8:47 PM <ellie> “I want to ensure, for instance, that your question is not, ‘Where are you and your team located.’ Rather inconvenient for me.”
8:47 PM <rkcgm> ((The other radio is in a car driving away in a different direction. All of the other transmitters are turned off and powered down.))
8:47 PM <sila> (on air) “Impressive hearing though – and over radio yet.”
8:48 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “I would not waste my time on a meaningless question like that, particularly when three minutes’ walk would put you someplace else.”
8:48 PM <sila> ((is this car driving towards that rally we don’t want shot up?))
8:48 PM <rkcgm> ((Uncertain.))
8:49 PM <ellie> “I used it as an example, not as a sole possibility. She has the right to refuse if we, as a team, judge the question to be a trap.”
8:50 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice chuckles. “Very well, have your assurance. If you answer true, then I answer true.”
8:50 PM <ellie> (off radio) “You’re up; you want this?”
8:51 PM <sila> (off air) “I admit, I want to know what he wants to know that badly. Llewelyn, what do you think – could the vow itself be a trap somehow?”
8:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Seems unlikely. But if he knows how to take a magic Vow, he shouldn’t be underestimated.”
8:52 PM <sila> “Well, if this is Lockewood, we already knew that…”
8:52 PM <sila> (on air) “All right, ask.”
8:52 PM <llewelyn>: “That’s not something I’ve seen often with Earth mages.”
8:53 PM * Havrasti also wonders what he wants to know so much
8:53 PM <ellie> (off air) “We don’t know for sure that it is Lockewood; it’s probably dangerous to assume. But…”
8:53 PM <sila> (off air) “What am I going to ask him…?”
8:55 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Well?”
8:55 PM <sila> (on air) “All right, ask.”
8:56 PM <ellie> “Yeah… that’s rather the question, isn’t it. What’s worth asking him?”
8:56 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Are you descended from Leto the Portal-maker?”
8:57 PM <ellie> “…Okay, /now/ I’d be tempted to ask him either 1) How he figured – no, he senses magic. 2) What difference that makes to him. …Or something.”
8:57 PM <sila> (off air) “Dang. I was afriad he was going to ask identity stuff. Why did I have to guess right?”
8:57 PM <ellie> “But… honestly, though I can’t quite see the trap, it does feel like something of a trap question to me.”
8:57 PM <ellie> “Lllewelyn?”
8:57 PM <sila> “He probably guessed by his missing base.”
8:58 PM <llewelyn>: “Refusing to answer may still give him the answer he’s looking for.”
8:58 PM <sila> (off air) “Suppose I answer, and then ask him why he wants to know? If we don’t have anything immediate we need to ask anyway.”
8:59 PM <llewelyn>: “But I might now know a question to ask him…”
8:59 PM <ellie> "And that would be?
8:59 PM <sila> (off air) “I’m open to suggestions.”
9:00 PM <llewelyn>: “I’m hesitant to waste it on a hunch – you might get more from asking why he wants to know.”
9:00 PM <sila> “Well at least tell me the question and let me decide.”
9:01 PM <llewelyn>: “But… if you want to go off my hunch, ask him if he’s a member of the Naratun.”
9:02 PM <llewelyn>: “They’re an old Esserean dragon-hunting guild.”
9:02 PM <ellie> “…Would the answer to that be more valuable than knowing why he wants to know Sila’s ancestry?”
9:02 PM <ellie> “If your hunch is right, I mean.”
9:03 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes, because if he’s Naratun, then he’s probably also got a very specific set of powers we’d really need to watch out for.”
9:03 PM <llewelyn> glances at Havrasti and Sila. “Especially you two.”
9:04 PM * Ellie shrugs. “Your information. Up to you what you exchange it for.”
9:04 PM <ellie> “I suggest that you answer him very precisely, though – you are /descended/ from. No need to give away at what degree.”
9:04 PM <ellie> “Because he didn’t ask it.”
9:05 PM <sila> (on air) “Yes, I’m descended from Leto the Portal-maker. My question is, Have you ever been a member of the Naratun, now or in the past?”
9:08 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Ah, you have delightfully surprised me! In fact, it is true – I am a Naratun. Very well done, little dragoness, well-done. You clearly have training and resources.”
9:09 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “This, then, will be an absolutely delightful contest, the likes of which this world has not seen for sixteen centuries.”
9:09 PM <sila> (on-air) “I try. I don’t suppose you’d be willing to tell me, as a non-binding question, how you came to know about Leto the Portal-Maker in the first place?”
9:10 PM <the_grand_user> (off air) “Bet Sir George is his ancestor or something…”
9:11 PM <sila> “I’m not thinking about that right now. Not even goign to let myself go down that rabbit hole. I have more important things to do than get mad about sir George and/or his descendants.”
9:11 PM <sila> (( ^ off-air, at Havrasti))
9:12 PM <sila> (off air) “…even if that does turn out to be his answer.”
9:12 PM * Ellie is privately betting that, by some means, he /is/ Sir George.
9:12 PM <the_grand_user> (oa) “You might not, but he might consider it a bonus and more motivation.”
9:12 PM <ellie> But she’s sayin’ nothin’.
9:13 PM <the_grand_user> ((Ellie: That’d be a twist :P ))
9:14 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice switches over to speaking a very antiquated form of draconic. “How ironic – asking ME how I came to know about Leto Portalmaker. No, I think that fate will bring us together again, and I will explain my reasons then.”
9:15 PM * Ellie is finding her suspicions rise dramatically, whether or not her telepathy provides translation for the non-English.
9:16 PM <sila> (on air, but stubbornly still in English) “I don’t believe in fate. I believe in God, who judges the living and the dead of all races.”
9:18 PM * Sila starts walking, in the general direction of where we expect to see trouble next
9:21 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice: “Ah – a religious fanatic. Georgios probably would have liked you. Very well, then; if you believe in God, prepare yourself to meet him. It would be a shame for you to be unprepared. But first, I have another dragon that I need to destroy.”
9:21 PM <ellie> “You are delightfully overconfident. Could you please say, ‘I am invincible?’”
9:22 PM <sila> (on air) “I am prepared at all times, sir, but I don’t believe it is his will to bring me home today.”
9:23 PM <sila> (off air) “He didn’t tell me, if that wasn’t obvious. Says ‘fate will being us together again’ and then he’ll tell me. Presumably he wants to save it for a final reveal – must be bad.”
9:23 PM <rkcgm> Cultured Radio Voice laughs at Ellie’s response. “Oh, I am hardly invincible; I bleed easily. I am merely skilled and well-prepared. But now, I’m going to be quite busy. I’m sure I’ll speak with you all soon.”
9:23 PM <rkcgm> The radio clicks off.
9:24 PM <the_grand_user> “Last known bearing, Sila?”
9:24 PM <rkcgm> ((He was driving aimlessly around Havana.))
9:25 PM <sila> “The car was going that way – do we trust him to be in said car? If he’s going to kill Pedro he eventually has to head for Pedro though.”
9:25 PM <ellie> After the radio clicks off. “Darn. Oh well.” (in regard to the lack of ‘I am invincible.’ ;-) )
9:26 PM <sila> “So Lllewelyn – these Naratun. Tell us everything while we move.”
9:26 PM <sila> ((or maybe next week? It’s getting late for you guys, isn’t it?))
9:26 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes, it is late.))
9:26 PM <rkcgm> ((But Llewelyn’s answer first.))
9:32 PM <llewelyn> looks sour. “The Naratun were a group of giants, really long ago; they were supposedly a group of dragon-hunting mages. Specifically, were believed to eat dragon magic.”
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:36 PM <brock> Last week, you successfully talked the Corti sisters, two of the mages in the dragonhunting Georgian Safari Club, to stand down and (possibly) defect to the side of good and light. We’ll see about them later.
4:36 PM <brock> However, you then had a conversation with the Safari Club’s chief mage, Lockwood… who seems to know some nasty secrets.
4:36 PM <brock> Lockwood contacted you by radio and offered to swap one truth for another truth. He confirmed for himself that Sila was “descended from Leto Portal-maker”, while affirming to you that he was a member of the Naratun, a group of dragon-hunting giants who ‘eat dragon magic.’
4:38 PM <havrasti> “Nasty fellow…”
4:38 PM <sila> “OK, Llewelyn, you said I should ask it because we needed to be aware of his specific set of powers (if he had them). Well he does, so get specific please.”
4:38 PM * Sila doesn’t stop moving of course.
4:42 PM <llewelyn>: “They use some sort of magic in order to assume the powers of the dragons they kill and eat. The group was supposedly wiped out… oh, seven hundred years ago?”
4:43 PM <havrasti> “Any idea how they’d know about Leto?”
4:44 PM <llewelyn>: “So you’d be facing a giant who is using dragon-style magic back at you. Elemental energies, potentially numerous.”
4:44 PM <llewelyn>: “No idea. It was an old cult, though.”
4:45 PM <sila> “I’m gonna be glad I set those grounding wards then…”
4:45 PM <llewelyn>: “The only people I know who actually had information about the Naratun was the College in Iverindor.”
4:46 PM <sila> “If we all survive this but don’t catch this Lockewood, we’ll have to go ask them about it.”
4:46 PM <ellie> “We may want to ask them about it, anyway, in case he’s not the /only/ one still alive who knows about it.”
4:47 PM <llewelyn>: “The understanding there being, of course, that the mages involved in the Naratun were actually bearers rather than freeholders – and they gained their initial power from demons.”
4:47 PM <sila> “Because giants, right?”
4:48 PM <llewelyn>: “In theory. Iverindor isn’t fond of them.”
4:49 PM <llewelyn>: “…and the demonic is blamed for every bad thing in Iverindor, regardless.”
4:49 PM <sila> “Yeah well…vilifying the enemy is an ancient tradition. But I meant, the whole giants/Nephilim thing.”
4:50 PM <llewelyn> shrugs.
4:51 PM <sila> “Also… <canibalism> is kinda seriously evil. Does Elvish have a word for that, Llewelyn? The closest English gets is ‘canibalism’ but that implies the /same/ species, and the draconic generalizes to people-species, which seems relevant here.”
4:51 PM <llewelyn>: “In any case, if we fight this guy, I’d advise staying out of arms-reach from him. The best way to deal with him is a sniper rifle at a thousand yards…”
4:52 PM <llewelyn> nods and quotes a Low-Elvish term.
4:52 PM <sila> “Thanks. But ok, stay out of reach…I’ve got a pistol and a risk of a crowd in the background. Also, we’re the only ones in the game on foot.”
4:53 PM <sila> “So we’re in some danger of being late to a strictly metaphorical party here.”
4:54 PM <llewelyn>: “Well, we can probably redress that.”
4:55 PM <sila> “You want to steal a car? Or maybe even a military vehicle?”
4:55 PM * Havrasti keeps moving, “So, I didn’t see a sniper rifle being brought along with us, what would be the next best thing?”
4:56 PM <llewelyn> gestures to someone getting out of their car by the curbside.
4:56 PM <llewelyn>: “Old car, but at least it’ll fit in. Excuse me, senor?”
4:56 PM <rkcgm> Senor: “Eh?”
4:57 PM <llewelyn> gestures to the car and pulls out a pack of… er, US hundred dollar bills?
4:57 PM * Sila mutters to Havrasti, “Some good old magnetic fields and a few iron washers will do if you can afford to risk a few off-target impacts…”
4:59 PM <havrasti> “Magic based railgun, Sila?”
4:59 PM <llewelyn>: “Err… don’t speak Spanish. Ellie, please ask him if he’ll take ten thousand US dollars for his car.”
5:00 PM * Ellie pretends to be unsurprised, and plays translator. ;)
5:00 PM <ellie> “Excuse me, sir, but we need a car in a hurry. Would you allow us to purchase yours for $10,000 US dollars?”
5:01 PM <llewelyn> asides to Havrasti: “Anyways, it’s a convertible, and it has those awesome 1950s fins and rocket-ship tail-lights…”
5:02 PM <sila> “The way Sam and I played it as teenagers, it was a magic-based rail shot-gun. Fun for targets you really wanted to eliminate, like dragon-slayer books, already cracked crockery, etc etc. The rule was one could play gunner if the other made a shrapnel-containment field.”
5:02 PM <rkcgm> Senor: “You want – ? You want to buy my car? For ten thousand US dollars?!”
5:02 PM <sila> “…of mercy. You’re going to want me to make a tunnel back home for that thing, aren’t you?”
5:03 PM * Ellie reassures the man that he does indeed understand correctly.
5:03 PM <rkcgm> Senor: “…I don’t know… I…” The local is just staring at the money hungrily.
5:04 PM * Ellie decides to play hard-to-get, and adds, “Or I suppose we could try to find someone else willing to take the same price…”
5:04 PM <rkcgm> Senor: “Oh, no no no no! Here are the keys!”
5:05 PM * Ellie thanks the man, takes the keys, and tells Llewelyn to go ahead and pay.
5:05 PM <llewelyn> counts off the money.
5:06 PM <llewelyn>: “And it’s a Cadillac. At least it runs.”
5:07 PM <sila> “De 10 mil y una …historia? que contar a tus amigos, eh senor?”
5:08 PM <sila> ((10 thousand and a story to tell your friends ;) ))
5:08 PM <llewelyn> takes the keys and starts the car.
5:09 PM <havrasti> “You’re going to fix this up and keep it, aren’t you?”
5:10 PM * Ellie gets into the front seat, exploring the glove compartment and any other storage sections, just out of curiosity.
5:10 PM <llewelyn>: “Of course I am. I think it was made the same year I was born.”
5:11 PM * Sila gets in too
5:11 PM <llewelyn>: “Wait, what year is it?”
5:11 PM <sila> “You /are/ going to make me portal it back home. Oy.”
5:12 PM <llewelyn>: “Stop compaining. It’s a classic.”
5:13 PM <llewelyn>: “So now we’re heading to… uh…”
5:13 PM <havrasti> “Location? I’ve got the map in my head.”
5:13 PM <sila> “The palacio, right?”
5:14 PM * Havrasti always studies the maps of where we’re going before we go there ;)
5:14 PM <sila> “To hopefully head of murder, collateral murder, rioting, etc?”
5:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Right. Havrasti? Directions from here?”
5:14 PM <havrasti> “Turn left at that intersection.” he gives the rest of the directions from there
5:17 PM <llewelyn> drives, and you start to get deeper into Havana’s ‘downtown’ area and start to hit traffic. There are also a lot of pedestrians, all heading toward downtown.
5:18 PM * Sila checks her gun, and listens to the tac-net receiver
5:19 PM * Ellie is feeling a bit antsy. She decides to take a long-shot, and do a telepathy skim to see if she can ‘find’ Pedro. She doesn’t like that he still hasn’t been warned about what’s going on…
5:20 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy attempt
5:20 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy attempt”: (6+4+5+3+6+4). Total: 28.
5:20 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin! ;-)
5:20 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin! ;-)”: (2+1). Total: 3.
5:20 PM <rkcgm> You come upon a policeman who’s standing in the middle of the road, waving a revolver in the air shouting at you to stop; he’s shouting at the pedestrians to stop… and pretty much everyone is ignoring him.
5:20 PM <havrasti> (very crit :) )
5:20 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue.))
5:21 PM <llewelyn>, nevertheless, stops the car. "What’s the problem, officer?
5:22 PM <rkcgm> Cuban policeman: “Tourists! No, go home! All of you, go home! Protest is not permitted! It is illegal!”
5:22 PM * Sila murmurs, very quietly, “Could the local law be on our side in this instance…?”
5:23 PM <llewelyn> points at all of the pedestrians walking past. “I don’t think they care, you know?”
5:23 PM <rkcgm> The policeman sighs. “I know. Nobody’s listening to me…”
5:24 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll for Ellie
5:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll for Ellie”: (1+5+4+2). Total: 12.
5:24 PM <sila> “Well, isn’t the no-protesting law one of the things they’re protesting against?”
5:25 PM <rkcgm> Policeman: “But… it’s an un-approved protest! The party hasn’t given it approval! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?”
5:26 PM <sila> “Well, we’re actually in-counrty on business, and we’re here right now to try and get an acquaintance to please leave before things get more dangerous than they are. Can we please go try to find him?”
5:27 PM <rkcgm> Ellie is able to pick out, very close ahead, quite a number of interesting minds, despite the gathering crowd. One person, who appears to be in the middle of speaking to the crowd, seems to match what Ellie expects is Pedro’s mental profile.
5:28 PM <sila> (to policeman) “If we can get to him, maybe we can convince him to go home for today, at least. It’s not much, but its worth a try.”
5:29 PM * Havrasti looks around for suspicious individuals
5:30 PM <rkcgm> The policeman sighs and shrugs. “Very well… not like I am able to stop anyone ELSE…”
5:30 PM * Ellie decides to try and talk to him. /No one but you can hear me. Answer silently. Are you Pedro Iglesias? I’m from DEAR, and am a friend of Llewelyn’s./
5:30 PM <rkcgm> The policeman continues standing in the middle of the street waving his gun and ranting, to the general apathy of the people around him.
5:31 PM * Ellie would be feeling sorry for him if she weren’t so focused on her task.
5:31 PM <rkcgm> Immediate response: <don’t>
5:32 PM <havrasti> “At least the protestors are just ignoring him, rather than beating him down.”
5:33 PM * Ellie replies. /I’ll take that as a yes. You need to know: the Cuban government has hired dragon-hunters to kill you. These hunters include both mages and large numbers of armed and trained mundane fighters, and they will not hesitate to kill bystanders on their way to you./
5:34 PM * Ellie adds, /They are here in town now. We took out the sniper post they had ready to kill you on your way here, but that doesn’t mean they’ve given up./
5:34 PM <ellie> This message delivered, Ellie feels that at least one significant part of our duty as been completed, though she will, of course, listen for any answer.
5:35 PM <sila> “Give it time, Havra. This thing isn’t even properly started yet.”
5:35 PM * Sila sounds grim, not amused by this observation
5:36 PM <llewelyn> gets the car to approximately the back side of the crowd before it becomes impossible to drive any further. Some random people get up on the hood with signs that say “Cuba Libre!”
5:38 PM <sila> “Uh oh. Your historical vehicle is in danger of getting more historical, Llewelyn.”
5:38 PM <havrasti> “Guess that’ll be just a bit more to repair when the time comes.”
5:38 PM <rkcgm> Ellie receives no answer for a few moments, and then <let>
5:44 PM * Ellie tells the others Pedro’s answer. She keeps to telepathy now.
5:44 PM <sila> “He’s endangering the whole protest! Argh.”
5:45 PM <rkcgm> ((That’s good, because it’s getting hard to hear over all of the shouting people. :P ))
5:45 PM <havrasti> “Well, guess we have no choice if we still want to talk to him.”
5:45 PM <sila> “…not that they weren’t in danger from the regular Cubans I guess, but what does he think is going to happen when the slayers start shooting at him?”
5:45 PM <sila> “Riot and panic, that’s what.”
5:46 PM <llewelyn>: “Or not panic and riot anyway…”
5:47 PM * Ellie replies, still telepathically, /Regardless, probably the only way to mitigate anything is to go talk to him./
5:47 PM <sila> “Not panic and… you mean angry riot instead of panicky riot?”
5:47 PM <sila> “I’m pretty sure this many people can do both.”
5:47 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes.”
5:47 PM * Sila follows Havrasti
5:48 PM * Havrasti veers towards the front and Pedro
5:49 PM * Ellie follows.
5:50 PM <llewelyn> helps Havrasti push through the crowd.
5:50 PM * Sila sticks to Havrasti’s back and familiarizes herself with the electronics in the area – can she hear the tac-net again, perhaps on a new frequency?
5:50 PM * Havrasti is pushy but at least he’s resisting the urge to go all Fezzik shouting at the crowd
5:51 PM <rkcgm> You slowly make your way toward the front of the crowd, where you find several dozen people standing up on a folding table, exhorting the crowd with a bullhorn.
5:52 PM * Ellie spends her time on the way toward the front slightly skimming the other interesting minds she’d been hearing near the front. Trying not to be too invasive, but also to get any potentially life-saving information.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> You spot Pedro Iglesias standing down and letting someone else talk for a change, although he’s chatting with a few people around him.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> Sila: roll versus difficult. Ellie, roll versus difficult
5:52 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy roll
5:52 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy roll”: (4+3+4+1+2+2). Total: 16.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: for Sila
5:52 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “for Sila”: (3+6+1+4+5). Total: 19.
5:52 PM <sila> !6d6: element
5:52 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “element”: (1+2+4+4+3+2). Total: 16.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: for Ellie
5:52 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “for Ellie”: (2+2+5+6+2). Total: 17.
5:52 PM <rkcgm> ((Fail and fail…))
5:53 PM <sila> ((hahahaha… ahem .So. Many. Cellphones! ))
5:53 PM <rkcgm> ((Exactly, Sila!))
5:53 PM <sila> “Lotta digital noise around here, literal and figurative.”
5:54 PM <havrasti> “All the cell phones vying for your attention?”
5:54 PM <sila> “Yeah. Not the devices I want to talk to right now.”
5:54 PM <ellie> ((I can donate to Sila if Sila wants to donate to Ellie.))
5:54 PM <ellie> ((Can offer a blue or green for Sila.))
5:55 PM <sila> ((Do you think it’s worth a gold or silver?))
5:55 PM <rkcgm> ((I’m not sure if it’s worth that, but I think it might be worth something.))
5:55 PM <havrasti> ((I can give a green to Ellie))
5:56 PM <rkcgm> ((As can Llewelyn.))
5:56 PM <sila> ((I’ve got nothing worth keeping I don’t think; are there any reds out there? If not I’ll take a green.))
5:56 PM <rkcgm> ((No reds.))
5:56 PM <ellie> ((No reds; I already asked. And I thought you got a 6 and five?))
5:57 PM <ellie> ((Oh, no, that was your vs. roll. :-p))
5:57 PM <sila> ((That’s the DC))
5:57 PM <sila> ((right))
5:57 PM <ellie> ((Okay, I’ll take Llewelyn’s green.))
5:57 PM <sila> ((I’m not sure it’s worth re-rolling mine or not))
5:58 PM <ellie> !6d6: re-rolling for telepathy
5:58 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “re-rolling for telepathy”: (5+4+2+1+1+4). Total: 17.
5:58 PM <havrasti> ((booo :P ))
5:59 PM <ellie> ((Blargh :-p))
5:59 PM <sila> ((I think You should use the other green))
5:59 PM <sila> ((You’re more likely to suceed, and the enemy can turn off their radios but no their brains.))
6:00 PM <ellie> ((Okay. Don’t know if I’m scanning enemy minds or not, but Brock is saying it might be worth it to have at least one of these succeed.))
6:01 PM <ellie> ((Okay, using my green to re-roll))
6:01 PM <ellie> !6d6: agaaaaaain
6:01 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “agaaaaaain”: (2+4+1+1+5+3). Total: 16.
6:01 PM <ellie> ((dicebot hates us. :-P ))
6:01 PM <sila> (( facepalm ))
6:01 PM <ellie> ((Gives up. :-p))
6:02 PM <rkcgm> !12d6: Ellie’s mom discipline’s dicebot, vs easy
6:02 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Ellie’s mom discipline’s dicebot, vs easy”: (3+6+2+3+1+4+4+4+4+3+4+5). Total: 43.
6:02 PM * Sila meanwhile keeps following Havrasti up to Pedro
6:02 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: vs roll
6:02 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “vs roll”: (1+3). Total: 4.
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Dicebot, you have received a Stern Warning from Ellie’s mom. Shape up or you will be turned into a fashionable hat.
6:03 PM <havrasti> ((hehehehe))
6:03 PM <sila> ((LOL))
6:03 PM <havrasti> ((even she only got one 6 in all that :P ))
6:03 PM <ellie> ((The dicebot is a rebellious dicebot today. :-p))
6:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Doesn’t matter, the 6 on a vs easy roll causes an auto-success :P ))
6:05 PM <sila> "Pedro. "
6:05 PM <ellie> ((Now we’ll see if it’s an actual success. Based on future rolls. :-p Still don’t think it’s worth throwing anything extra after, though.))
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Pedro glances over. “Yes?”
6:05 PM <sila> “There is a whole pack of assasins coming here to shoot, zap, and/or attempt to eat you. I’m not joking about the eat part. Do you really want to be drawing that kind of violent creep to this crowd?”
6:08 PM <rkcgm> Pedro sighs. “What would you have me do?”
6:09 PM <havrasti> ((what was the plan for what he should do? :P ))
6:09 PM <ellie> “You could always tell them the government was so opposed to their cause that they hired hit men to come and squash the protest. It’s pretty much true. And then at least they could make an informed decision.”
6:09 PM <sila> “Then, draw them off. These particular creeps are after you personally, not the protest. If the Cuban authoritiess want to set off a riot, make them do it themselves. In other words: let the other speakers handle it and Leave Now.”
6:13 PM <rkcgm> Pedro shakes his head. “I am not going to leave. If these dragonhunters want to kill me, they’ll have to do it here, in front of this crowd; martyrdom will give us all the power we need to return the government to the people.”
6:13 PM <rkcgm> Pedro chuckles. “Though I’d prefer to avoid it, of course.”
6:14 PM <ellie> “They’re not /just/ going to kill you. That’s what we’re trying to tell you. They’ll mow down this entire crowd to /get/ to you if that’s what it takes. Are you willing to make /that/ choice?”
6:15 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “The crowd made that choice when they came here – the threat that the government will send in the military to kill them all? This is not the US; they have that option.”
6:16 PM <sila> “Not to mention the whole creepy eat your flesh and absorb your element thing. I don’t want to flight a slayer with your element next week, Pedro.”
6:16 PM * Ellie mutters, “On your own head be it.”
6:16 PM <rkcgm> Pedro: “But since I don’t want people to be hurt unnecessarily – let’s make this easier for them.”
6:16 PM <havrasti> “EAsier for who and how?”
6:16 PM <rkcgm> Pedro grabs the bullhorn again and climbs up on the table, shooing other people away from him.
6:16 PM <sila> “…at least let me give you a grounding – wait!”
6:17 PM <ellie> “Do it from here, Sila.”
6:17 PM <ellie> “…Llewelyn, can you do an illusion that makes it look like he’s standing… somewhere just offset, where no one would be hit by a sniper?”
6:17 PM <sila> “It’s a /ward/ he has to stay still and let me touch him! Active grounding is different…”
6:17 PM <llewelyn> does so.
6:17 PM <rkcgm> !7d6: versus intermediate
6:18 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (2+2+5+2+6+3+2). Total: 22.
6:18 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: intermediate
6:18 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “intermediate”: (2+5+6+6). Total: 19.
6:18 PM * Sila goes invisible
6:18 PM <ellie> ((The dicebot did not receive Ellie’s Mom’s discipline))
6:18 PM <ellie> ((Will donate a blue…))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((I will take advantage of the party blue.))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Or Ellie’s.))
6:19 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: keeping 65
6:19 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “keeping 65”: (2+1+6+6+4). Total: 19.
6:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Uh huh. 6665421? Crit coin, coin goes back to Ellie.))
6:19 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: for Llewelyn
6:19 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “for Llewelyn”: (3+1). Total: 4.
6:19 PM <havrasti> (better)
6:19 PM <sila> ((that’s better :P :) ))
6:20 PM <ellie> !2d6: coin return
6:20 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “coin return”: (4+6). Total: 10.
6:20 PM <rkcgm> ((Green))
6:20 PM * Sila slips invisibly under the table, wishing Pedro currently had a tail for her to grab. She’ll have to settle for an ankle.
6:21 PM <llewelyn> makes one rocking good illusion of Pedro standing up on the table talking to the crowd.
6:22 PM <tgu_away> (bah :P )
6:22 PM * Sila “sees” Pedro take a step to the left, and is surprised when she finds his ankle still in the same place as before ;)
6:22 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll versus standard, Sila.))
6:22 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: standard
6:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard”: (6+6+2). Total: 14.
6:22 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: I said STANDARD you nimrod
6:22 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “I said STANDARD you nimrod”: (3+6+2). Total: 11.
6:23 PM <sila> !6d6: grounding ward for Pedro
6:23 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “grounding ward for Pedro”: (5+1+3+4+3+1). Total: 17.
6:23 PM * Sila hisses at him, “Stop moving so I can cast!”
6:24 PM * Ellie decides to try her mind scan again. She feels it would be good to have more information right about now.
6:24 PM <sila> ((…so that was vs. the first DC, now I can try again vs. the second one, right? :P ))
6:24 PM <rkcgm> Pedro stops moving, although he doesn’t stop talking (in Spanish) about the necessity of fixing the government, to the raucous cheers of the crowd, who are hanging on his every word.
6:24 PM <ellie> !6d6: Another attempted mind-scan
6:24 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Another attempted mind-scan”: (1+4+4+1+1+5). Total: 16.
6:24 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: still difficult
6:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “still difficult”: (2+4+5+5+1). Total: 17.
6:25 PM <ellie> ((…I call to witness the partiality of the dicebot. :-p ))
6:25 PM <sila> !6d6: OK, trying this again.
6:25 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “OK, trying this again.”: (2+6+4+6+5+6). Total: 29.
6:25 PM <havrasti> ((ahhh, there we go))
6:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Sila, you’ve just made Pedro invincible.))
6:25 PM <sila> ((I’ll take THAT for Pedro’s grounding DC, oh yes.))
6:25 PM <ellie> ((Also, the wily nature of the dicebot, which now feels it can prove me wrong.))
6:25 PM <ellie> ((I’ll use my own green to re-roll mine, incidentally.))
6:26 PM <ellie> !5d6: keeping 5
6:26 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “keeping 5”: (4+5+6+6+4). Total: 25.
6:26 PM <sila> ((…crit coint for me?))
6:26 PM <rkcgm> ((Crits for Sila and Ellie.))
6:26 PM <sila> !2d6
6:26 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “2d6”: (3+3). Total: 6.
6:26 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
6:26 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (2+1). Total: 3.
6:28 PM * Sila stays under the table for now, since she is invisible and it keeps her from getting stepped on in the crowd.
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Ellie picks something up at the edge of the crowd – there are some people in the crowd who are noticing men with military gear and weapons climbing to the top of a panel truck.
6:37 PM * Ellie telepathies to the rest of the party to alert them. She also asks Llewelyn if Pedro would even consider it relevant to know. :-p
6:37 PM <llewelyn>: <at>
6:38 PM * Sila tries to see the panel truck. Can she get over there?
6:38 PM <llewelyn> adjusts the illusion to take in the threat vector, however.
6:38 PM * Ellie doesn’t bother telling him.
6:38 PM <rkcgm> !2d3*50: Sila, the truck is this many meters distant from you
6:38 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Sila, the truck is this many meters distant from you”: (1+2)50. Total: 150.
6:39 PM <tgu_away> (tsk :P )
6:40 PM <tgu_away> T"Shall we head over to check out the armed men, then?"
6:40 PM * Ellie passes that question along to the others.
6:41 PM <sila> ((OK, better question: Can I get a clear shot at said truck, by moving s moderate distance in the correct direction? Say to shoot out a tire and unbalance these military type fellows.))
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Before you can really get started heading that direction, the crowd around the truck takes matters into their own hands. They, um. They start rocking the truck back and forth until it falls over.
6:42 PM * Sila suppresses a snerk. Never mind.
6:42 PM <sila> (T) “Right…an angry crowd that expects hostiles. Almost forgot that for a moment.”
6:43 PM <havrasti> (T) “But are they dragon hunter hostiles or just regular military hostiles?”
6:43 PM <sila> (T) “At least what that meant…but yeah, that’s the million-dollar question right now. Can you tell, now that you know who to listen for?”
6:44 PM * Ellie attempts to tell who sent the guys who just got knocked over…
6:44 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy prying
6:44 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy prying”: (4+5+4+2+5+2). Total: 22.
6:44 PM * Sila tries listening for the enemy radio net again, with special attention to electronics in the back of the vehicle.
6:44 PM <sila> !6d6
6:44 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (3+3+2+4+5+6). Total: 23.
6:44 PM <ellie> ((Dice reaaaaly want to say no. :-p At very least to me.))
6:45 PM <havrasti> ((/me glares at the dicebot))
6:45 PM <sila> ((Wait until the DCs come up before we do anything hasty to the dicebot now :P ))
6:46 PM <ellie> ((Hehe.))
6:46 PM <havrasti> ((that was a glare to make it do the right thing))
6:46 PM <rkcgm> !4d5: dicebot is on disciplinary leave right now
6:46 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “dicebot is on disciplinary leave right now”: (4+3+3+2). Total: 12.
6:50 PM <havrasti> ((ping))
6:51 PM <sila> ((pong))
6:51 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry, Lydia wanted chips and salsa, just got back.))
6:51 PM <havrasti> ((ah, ok))
6:51 PM <rkcgm> ((And she’s crafting while she waits.))
6:52 PM <rkcgm> !4d5: and difficulty for Sila
6:52 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “and difficulty for Sila”: (4+3+4+3). Total: 14.
6:57 PM <rkcgm> Ellie determines that the attempted shooters were, in fact, Safari Club members, but they were just intended to be spotters.
6:59 PM <havrasti> (spotters for who?))
6:59 PM * Ellie passes this along to the others. Then she begins straining the edges of her telepathy trying to figure out where the /real/ attacking Safari club members might be. A long shot again – with this crowd, she’s been struggling with telepathy. But she feels it’s her best shot… aside from, y’know, joining her own visual lookout.
6:59 PM <ellie> !6d6: trying to spot who the spotters were spotting for
6:59 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “trying to spot who the spotters were spotting for”: (6+6+6+6+2+2). Total: 28.
6:59 PM <ellie> !2d6: Because yes, that was a crit
6:59 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Because yes, that was a crit”: (1+3). Total: 4.
6:59 PM <rkcgm> ((I think that needs a special crit roll :P ))
7:00 PM <havrasti> (wow, when the dicebot changes attitude, it really changes :P ))
7:00 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue.))
7:01 PM <ellie> ((It’s just trying to butter me up and get back on my good side. ;-) ))
7:01 PM <rkcgm> Ellie, guess what?
7:02 PM <rkcgm> You just detected every single Georgian Safari Club member in a one-mile radius. Because they have their own telepathy net that you just pwnd.
7:03 PM <havrasti> ((( /Well/ then!))
7:04 PM <rkcgm> There are currently thirty-six of them, scattered in six-man teams: one spotter team that got their applecart upset by the crowd, one team with anti-aircraft missiles sitting atop the Ministry of the Interior building, two teams with heavy machine guns hidden in vans ready to take up positions… (cont)
7:06 PM <rkcgm> …one team of mages on the roof of the Ministry of Communications, and finally, one team of mages, with Lockwood, standing behind you, in the top of the José Martí Memorial.
7:07 PM * Ellie conveys this information to the others.
7:08 PM <havrasti> (T) “Wow, good job, Ellie… they can’t tap into ours like that, can they?”
7:09 PM <rkcgm> ((No, because they don’t have an Ellie :P and I’m not giving them one because dicebot is on cooldown.))
7:10 PM <havrasti> ((heh))
7:10 PM * Ellie answers, /Don’t think they noticed me. Also, I’m not doing something persistent like that; I kinda manually ‘tag’ each of you each time./
7:12 PM <havrasti> “So, sounds like we have our choice of targets… who first?”
7:12 PM <havrasti> “And should we share this info with Pedro?”
7:13 PM * Ellie answers, /…Lockwood and the mages get my vote, honestly. And I think Pedro is too focused on what he’s doing; he wouldn’t /want/ to know. Llewelyn, you agree?/ She passes this to Havrasti and Llewelyn in turn.
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: the conversation on the t-net seems to be whether or not Lockwood is ready to move against Pedro or not. Lockwood is trying to get the Tipsy Team out of the crowd, where they are getting a bit badly harrassed.
7:13 PM <sila> (T) “I wonder if those anti-aircraft missiles are just for if he tries to fly, or if they’re fine with using them on ground targets too.”
7:14 PM <sila> ((are the missiles complex enough to have electronics I can scramble?))
7:14 PM <llewelyn> nods. <pedro>
7:15 PM <rkcgm> Ellie: Lockwood is disrupted by a phone call.
7:16 PM * Ellie listens.
7:16 PM <rkcgm> T-Lockwood: “Good afternoon, Colonel… yes, uh. Yes. Yes, Colonel, it’s not a good afternoon. Yes, I understand… Uh… You what? But the job’s not finished, yet!”
7:17 PM <havrasti> (T) “Lockwood’s team would be hte most difficult to take on, but also the most damaging to them, I think.”
7:17 PM <ellie> ((Can Ellie tell from Lockwood’s mind what the Colonel is saying?))
7:18 PM <rkcgm> T-Lockwood: “Colonel, I… no, I’m not going to pull back. Do you think you’re going to get another shot at this? Look at this crowd – he’s got them in the palm of his hand. If I don’t kill him now, then he’s going to overthrow your entire government before dinnertime!”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> ((No.))
7:19 PM <sila> ((Did my roll above turn up anything? Can *I
hear what the colonel is saying, for example?))
7:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Ah, sorry – neglected that. Moment.))
7:21 PM <rkcgm> Sila: there weren’t a lot of electronics in the truck; it was mostly empty. Turning your attention behind you, to where Lockwood’s talking on the phone, you are able to pick up his call…
7:21 PM <rkcgm> …and the other end, which connects to an office in the Ministry of the Interior, just across the way.
7:22 PM <rkcgm> The call’s from someone’s Skype account on a laptop.
7:22 PM <sila> “Oh, hey. There’s an interesting local conversation. Our lead lunatic is talking to somebody right under the anti-aircraft team.”
7:23 PM * Sila requests a skyp contact with that account, with message “Hello did you know there’s a missile team over your head?”
7:23 PM * Ellie mutters aloud, not wanting to take her focus off listening in, “Yeah, they’re being told to pull back. Lockwood doesn’t want to.”
7:23 PM <sila> “I hear it – skype account. I’m trying to open our own line of communications there.”
7:23 PM <rkcgm> Sila: there’s a webcam. You want to see?
7:24 PM * Sila has a look, sure.
7:24 PM <sila> ((the look on the guy’s face when he notices her contact request should be interesting at least :P
7:24 PM <havrasti> ((hehehe))
7:25 PM * Sila uses one of the accounts she associates with message board posts trolling people who, for example, believe there was a dragon in Abu Dhabi a few weeks ago.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> Sila: you see a Cuban general in uniform of the Youth Labor Army. He is sweating profusely, probably because there’s another general standing behind him with a drawn firearm, and a dozen other soldiers with very nifty guns at the ready.
7:27 PM <sila> (quietly but out loud) “Ooh, the caller’s got gunmen on his back. Pedro’s friends, maybe?”
7:27 PM <rkcgm> The more senior general leans in. “Huh, what’s this? A missile team?”
7:27 PM <rkcgm> The not-so-senior sweating general sits there very quietly.
7:28 PM <sila> ((do they accept the contact request? :P )
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Senior General: “Get out of the way, Estefan. Don’t say anything else.”
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Senior General accepts the contact request. “This technology… sigh.”
7:29 PM <sila> “THANK you. You’ve got 6 men with AA on your roof.”
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Senior General types (slowly) back: “Thanks, who are you.”
7:30 PM <rkcgm> ((On screen, the senior general tells his aide to go arrest them, and if they won’t come quietly, toss them off the roof.
7:31 PM <sila> "You can call me scary magic lady ;) Seriously though, I think we have a mutual friend. With a minor death wish. We told him about the huge assasination team, and get said, “Let’s make this easier” and got back up in front of the crowd."
7:32 PM <rkcgm> The general snorts in amusement, types ‘Yes, I saw.’
7:32 PM <sila> “I’d prefer him alive, myself, but I’m not sure I have the resources for a missile team, two vanloads of machine guns, AND the people on top of the Communications and the Memorial.”
7:32 PM <rkcgm> The general pauses, gets his binoculars from an aide, looks out the window, and sighs.
7:33 PM <sila> “Your subordinate hired some real loose cannons.”
7:33 PM <havrasti> “Almost literially.”
7:33 PM * Sila adds that to the skype
7:33 PM <rkcgm> The general types back: “Not my subordinate; my prisoner.”
7:35 PM <havrasti> ((and what’s Ellie finding at Lockwood’s location?))
7:35 PM <rkcgm> The general types: “Do you want to fight the hechiceros, or shall I deal with them in the only fashion I have available?”
7:36 PM <rkcgm> ((Hechiceros: spanish for ‘sorcerers’.))
7:36 PM <sila> “I and mine can probably take out the folks on the com ministry or on the memorial, but if you can take out the missiles and gun vans that’d make it easier for us to concentrate.”
7:38 PM <rkcgm> General: “Done. I don’t really wish to fight these people with only guns. Give me the information for the rest; I’ll take them down.”
7:38 PM * Sila passes on whatever else Ellie can tell her about the mundane-equipment teams
7:40 PM <rkcgm> The general acknowledges and starts giving orders on his radio. It’s clear to Sila from watching that he is definitely on Pedro’s side; he’s almost certainly the general Pedro met with.
7:40 PM <havrasti> (Excellent))
7:41 PM <rkcgm> ((Pause for narration and then ending tag…))
7:41 PM * Sila tells her team this
7:41 PM * Ellie is relieved to have allies now.
7:42 PM * Havrasti is as well
7:42 PM <rkcgm> At the general’s command, several tanks and teams of infantry start appearing at the edge of the square; other infantry teams appear on the roofs of the two ministry buildings.
7:43 PM <rkcgm> The infantry close in on the two teams in the vans; they arrest both teams with a whole lot of shouting (and a little bit of police brutality) but no actual shooting. The same goes for the missile team and the other mage team on the roof.
7:46 PM <rkcgm> The crowd is starting to get alarmed at the appearance of the Army; but apparently somebody on one of the tanks informs the people on that side of the crowd, “We’re with you guys!”
7:46 PM <sila> “Congratulations Ellie, I think your tel-net penetration just won half th ebattle for us.”
7:47 PM <rkcgm> This causes a whole lot of very raucous cheering that spreads through the crowd.
7:48 PM <ellie> “Now we just need to get in position to deal with Lockwood and his team, because they will inevitably React.”
7:48 PM <rkcgm> You see Lockwood come to the parapet of the memorial’s overlook; he dials the Skype number.
7:49 PM * Sila sends him a fake system error message (cannot connect)
7:50 PM * Havrasti starts heading over to that building
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood stands there for a few moments, and then tosses his phone over the balcony.
7:51 PM * Sila murmurs, “Temper, temper.”
7:51 PM <sila> “You still listening in on Lockewood, Ellie?”
7:51 PM * Ellie is still listening in on the telenet, I presume?
7:52 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes; Lockwood is not talking. He’s doing magic.))
7:52 PM <ellie> ((Can Ellie tell what he intends to cast?))
7:56 PM <rkcgm> Lockwood waits at the railing for a few moments, closes his eyes in concentration, and then raises a clenched fist over his head. The clear sky crackles with lightning and hail starts pelting down on the Plaza.
== END LOG ==

View
Arc 8
Commonwealth Comradery

== START LOG ==
4:32 PM <rkcgm> After finishing up your last mission in California, you return to DEAR headquarters in DC. Douglas gives you a full debriefing and a day off, before reporting back to work.
4:33 PM <rkcgm> OOC: Level up! You may now add +1 dice to an attribute of your choice.
4:33 PM <havrasti> (Woot!)
4:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Skill cap is still 6, for the moment.))
4:34 PM <havrasti> ((increasing Luck to 6))
4:34 PM <rkcgm> ((Llewelyn’s perception increased to 6.))
4:34 PM * Sila ((debates))
4:36 PM <ellie> ((Upping speed from 4 to 5: Yay, improved init rolls. ;) )
4:36 PM <sila> ((it’s tempting to cap another skill, but…maybe I should bump up strength from 2 to 3…))
4:37 PM <havrasti> ((weak dragon is weak, and sad :P ;) ))
4:37 PM <sila> (( :P fine fine, strength it is ))
4:37 PM <ellie> ((Sila has maybe been getting more exercise than she used to. ;-) ))
4:37 PM <sila> ((almost certainly))
4:38 PM <ellie> ((Besides, /Ellie’s/ strength is at 3. Surely Sila cannot be weaker than Ellie. ;-) ))
4:38 PM * Sila works out with the law enforcement people now. It’s ruining her computer-geek cred by giving her actual muscles :P
4:39 PM <rkcgm> Douglas instructed you to show up for work today with packed bags and your passports. You don’t know where he’s planning on sending you, but it’s probably not in the US.
4:40 PM <sila> “My passport’s visa page is getting surprisingly interesting.”
4:40 PM * Ellie enjoyed an all-too-brief reunion with Cinnamon Sugar. He was Not Pleased at her leaving again. Seth… pretended not to be pleased at getting stuck with cat-sitting duty again.
4:41 PM <sila> “…and it doesn’t even have stamps from our Esserean trip…”
4:42 PM <llewelyn>: “Nobody would recognize them if it did – and you’d get frowned at for coloring in your passport.”
4:43 PM <havrasti> “Maybe someday.”
4:44 PM <sila> “Still, it seems like we should have some kind of passport control for visitors we know about. Seperate documents from these, because of what you just said, but still.”
4:44 PM * Havrasti has his few travel belongings, including a brand new tablet, his first, that Sila got for him
4:45 PM <sila> “I mean, above my pay grade. Just… well. Anyway if we need these, it must be an Earth-type mission.”
4:46 PM <sila> “Heard any rumors, Llewelyn?”
4:46 PM <havrasti> “Unless there’s some portal opening up some where without a magic squad to take care of it.”
4:46 PM <llewelyn>: “Mmmaybe.”
4:47 PM <llewelyn> shrugs. “I think this one’s supposed to be a softie.”
4:47 PM <ellie> “…You’ve doomed us.”
4:47 PM <llewelyn>: “Shall I sing the Doom Song now?”
4:47 PM <ellie> “You might as well have said, ‘How hard can it be?’”
4:48 PM <ellie> “…No. No, you shall not. Don’t make it even worse.”
4:48 PM <sila> “Doom doom doom doom…” ‘\o
4:48 PM <sila> “Wait, that makes it worse?”
4:48 PM <havrasti> "Personally, I think ’this one’s supposed to be a softie’ isn’t quite as bad and fate tempting as ‘how hard can it be’."
4:49 PM <sila> “I’m behind on my modern stupid-stitions.”
4:50 PM * Ellie rolls her eyes. “The doom song was only going to make it worse by being annoying.”
4:50 PM <llewelyn>: “I suppose it just depends on what Douglas decides to give us. If we end up getting sent on the mission to Poland, then my prediction is correct.”
4:52 PM <sila> “If it was really all /that/ soft, he wouldn’t be sending /us/ would he?”
4:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Oh, hey. I forgot I actually had an office here. Hello office! Hello, comfy chair. Hello, filing cabinet…”
4:52 PM * Sila snerks
4:52 PM <havrasti> “Hello dust.”
4:52 PM <sila> ((were the rest of us ever assigned office space here?))
4:52 PM <ellie> “Heh. I don’t have an office /to/ forget, so…”
4:52 PM <llewelyn>: “I suppose that’s true, Sila.”
4:53 PM <sila> “Hello little house spider.”
4:53 PM <rkcgm> ((Um, no – it was neglected, since you’re out of the office so much. Sila probably has a quarter of one of Magaron’s work-benches downstairs, which he grudgingly gave her and probably uses when she’s not present…))
4:54 PM <sila> “How did you escape janitorial, I wonder?”
4:54 PM <llewelyn> checks his watch. “Well, I guess it’s nearly time to report in. Did anyone see if Douglas was in his office?”
4:55 PM <sila> “The door was closed when I wandered by, so probably.”
4:55 PM <ellie> “Yeah, I went by there, but it sounded like he was talking with someone.”
4:56 PM <havrasti> “Off we go then.”
4:56 PM * Havrasti heads towards Douglas’ office
4:56 PM <rkcgm> Douglas and Hickory are in the main office, sitting down with a girl who looks approximately Ellie and Sila’s age.
4:56 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Oh, hey guys, come on in.”
4:57 PM * Ellie enters, sees that there aren’t enough chairs, and goes out again to get more.
4:57 PM * Ellie stops when there are enough chairs. And sits in the last one she carries in.
4:57 PM * Sila pushes a chair close to Havrasti’s and sits
4:58 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I wanted you to meet our newest recruit. This is Charlotte Landry. Charlotte, this is the A-Team.”
4:58 PM <llewelyn>: “Dun dedun DUN, dun de dun.”
4:58 PM <sila> “Hi Charlotte, pleased to meet you.”
4:58 PM <havrasti> “Hello.”
4:59 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte waves. She looks nervous. She also looks like a preschool teacher, not a hardened Federal Agent.
4:59 PM * Ellie smirks at Llewlyn. Then she smiles to Charlotte and extends a hand to shake. “Good to meet you.”
5:00 PM <ellie> “I’m Ellie.”
5:00 PM * Sila looks like a little irish girl, so she’s not hung up on looks :P
5:00 PM <ellie> “This is Llewelyn, Sila, and Havrasti.”
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Ellie is a telepath, lightbender, and healer.”
5:00 PM <sila> “Don’t worry we don’t bite coworkers.”
5:01 PM <rkcgm> Douglas barks out a laugh. “Sila and Havrasti are dragons. Shapeshifted, as you can see.”
5:02 PM * Sila gives her a non-terrifying grin (she hopes) and a wink
5:02 PM <havrasti> “Obviously.”
5:02 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “And then Llewelyn is our chief magician and book-collector.”
5:03 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte waves shyly. “Hi.”
5:04 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “We just discovered Charlotte a few days ago. She’s also a mage.”
5:04 PM <havrasti> “Ahh.”
5:04 PM <ellie> “Welcome.”
5:04 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte turns purple. “Sorta.”
5:05 PM <sila> “Wow, they’re popping out of the woodwork.”
5:05 PM <ellie> “What do you do?”
5:05 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte looks really embarrassed: “I… bake magic candies?”
5:06 PM <llewelyn> raises an eyebrow. “That’s a new one.”
5:07 PM <havrasti> “Interesting, what’s magical about them?”
5:07 PM <ellie> “Discovering that must have been a story. How’d it happen?”
5:07 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Mumblemumblemumble.”
5:08 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “They turned a classroom of preschoolers into eight foot tall green rage monsters.”
5:08 PM <sila> “Oh … hulk candies? That sounds…yikes.”
5:08 PM <ellie> “Oh dear.”
5:08 PM <havrasti> “So size increasing magic, then?”
5:09 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Fortunately they worked on me, too.”
5:09 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “The property damage was slightly intense, though.”
5:09 PM <sila> “Did they stay angry long, or did they get distracted by the super-hero thing?”
5:10 PM <sila> “Because I’m picturing the results of letting a classroom of regular preschoolers permission to play ‘hulk smash’ and then picturing it 8’ tall instead…”
5:10 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “I had to sit on them for an hour before help arrived.”
5:10 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Fortunately there were only four of them that day.”
5:10 PM <ellie> “Well… did everyone turn out okay in the end?”
5:11 PM <sila> “One for each limb, huh? What form did help arrive in?”
5:11 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “I lost my job, but other than that, yes.”
5:12 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Well, there was this talking dog that told all the kids to sit down, be quiet, and take their medicine.”
5:12 PM * Sila laughs
5:12 PM <ellie> “Hehhe. So that works even when they’re 8 ft tall rage monsters?”
5:14 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Yes, but I had to let them scratch my ears afterwards.”
5:14 PM * Ellie suddenly realizes something. She then telepathies to Douglas, /…She’s not going to be stuck working with Magaron, is she?/
5:14 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “We’re going try to see if she can bake candies that do other things.”
5:15 PM <sila> “So is she a natural alchemist then? Or is it something else? Or don’t we know yet?”
5:15 PM <rkcgm> Douglas telepaths back, /We’ll see. She’s got enough experience now working with short humanoid rage monsters that perhaps Magaron won’t be a problem for her./
5:16 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Don’t know yet.”
5:17 PM * Ellie replies, /But hasn’t the poor thing been traumatized enough? :p/
5:18 PM <havrasti> ((“Nah, I’m sure Magaron will be fine” sorry, couldn’t resist ))
5:18 PM <sila> “Well cool. Maybe you’ll get to work with my brother.”
5:18 PM <sila> “He’s got dragon magic training from my mother – like me – but he’s also studying alchemy with his Canadian girlfriend.”
5:19 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Speaking of your brother and his Canadian girlfriend…”
5:19 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Oh, sorry. Charlotte, we’ll finish talking later. Go ask April to get you set up with a work-space upstairs.”
5:20 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte: “Okay, thanks. Nice meeting you all…”
5:20 PM * Havrasti is also thinking about the magical pharmaceutical company, magic candies probably aren’t too different from magic pills… FDA might still be a problem, though
5:20 PM <ellie> “Good to meet you, too.”
5:20 PM <sila> “See you later! Oh, and don’t let Magaron push you around!”
5:20 PM <ellie> ((Actually… having Elizabeth get Alex 3.0 to analyze the candies might not be a bad idea…))
5:21 PM <rkcgm> Charlotte exeunt stage right (door).
5:21 PM <ellie> “Hey, Douglas, it just occurred to me – Elizabeth Cato might be willing to have Alex 3.0 have a look at Charlotte’s candies, if we end up having trouble figuring out how they work. Might give some insight.:”
5:22 PM <sila> “Oh, good idea.”
5:22 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “A good idea.”
5:22 PM <havrasti> “So what do you have for us?”
5:22 PM <sila> “And what does it have to do with Sam?”
5:23 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I need you all to do some flying – a couple really long ones. You’ll have the jet for this mission, by the way.”
5:25 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Sam went up to Toronto to do some liaison work with the Mounties – and I think he was going to ask Anna’s parents for permission to date her, although he never said anything to ME about that.”
5:27 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “…but that’s tangential. The Mounties are conducting surveillance of an individual wanted in Australia for telepathically controlling people.”
5:27 PM <sila> “Didn’t we just /do/ that mission??”
5:28 PM <sila> “hot place…mind control…”
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “If you’d prefer, I could send you to Poland instead.”
5:28 PM <ellie> “Heh. Not exactly. That one was just using magichemical means to render people more susceptible to verbal suggestion.”
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “And you don’t want me to send you to Poland.”
5:29 PM <sila> “I’m not complaining just – what is it with mind control lately?”
5:29 PM * Ellie gives Llewelyn an eye-raised look.
5:29 PM <sila> “What’s wrong with Poland today?”
5:29 PM <llewelyn> looks innocent.
5:29 PM * Havrasti is tempted to ask “What’s in Poland.”
5:31 PM <havrasti> “Does Australia have a DEAR equivelent?”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “They do. It’s a branch of Britain’s Safeguard.”
5:33 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Normally Safeguard would try to handle this for them, but we’re closer, and we have a plane and a telepath of our own.”
5:35 PM <sila> “A point, I guess.”
5:36 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “The mission, should you choose to accept it, is to meet up with Assistant Commissioner Campbell, Anna, and Sam.”
5:36 PM <ellie> “How is this mind control working? I mean… as far as I know, I can’t actually /mind control/ anyone – closest I could come would be to maybe convince them that what I was saying into their head was coming from them or something. So… is the telepathy at work there different from mine, or what’s the deal?”
5:36 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Assist the Mounties in arresting this individual, and then fly him to Australia for extradition.”
5:37 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “I don’t know the answer to that, Ellie.”
5:38 PM <ellie> “…Goodie. Okay, I guess we get to figure that out along the way.”
5:38 PM <havrasti> “Alright.”
5:39 PM <havrasti> (what tiem of year is it, btw?)
5:39 PM <rkcgm> ((Late autumn.))
5:41 PM * Havrasti is thinking “Great, Canada nearing winter… all that cold and snow.”
5:42 PM <sila> “At least that will be a short flight. …what /is/ wrong with Poland right now?”
5:47 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “It’ll be the first meeting of Braithwick’s old White Council since the membership changed. You’d either be bored or want to eat somebody by the end of it.”
5:47 PM <havrasti> “Ahh. TO CANADA!”
5:47 PM <ellie> “Aaah. But Vincent’s still on it, right? I thought it was his job to make those things not-boring.”
5:48 PM <sila> “Heh. He might be able to leave people bored AND wanting to eat someone by the end of it. You can only do so much about boring.”
5:49 PM <ellie> “Oh, for the people on the panel, I’m sure. But for anyone watching… ahh, well. People actually in trouble versus people being annoyed or annoying. Our place is pretty clear.”
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “In any case, Betsy is now our emissary to the White Council.”
5:52 PM <ellie> “Well, then. Off to Canada. Figuring out more messing-with-minds stuff. Yeah.”
5:54 PM <havrasti> “So what else do we know about this mind controlling fugitive?”
5:57 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Oh… I missed that, did I? The Australians know him by the name Ted Powers. Apparently human – no reason to believe otherwise, that we know of.”
6:00 PM <havrasti> “Ok.”
6:00 PM <havrasti> (((anything else he needs to tell us, or are we ready to move on?))
6:01 PM <ellie> “Powers, huh. …He get a name change, or is that just coincidence?”
6:01 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Probably an alias.”
6:01 PM <sila> “If that’s his real name I’ll give up meat for tofu for a week.”
6:01 PM <ellie> “…Oh dear. I do hope it’s not coincidence.”
6:02 PM <havrasti> “More meat for me, if so.”
6:04 PM <ellie> “Well, I’m sure we’ll be briefed there on what he’s been mind-controlling people to do and such, so… I’m not sure I have any other questions.”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “Ned was apparently the courier for an underworld gang operating in Australia and southeast Asia. His status as a telepath is undisputed; whether or not he used it for mind-control is still uncertain.”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Douglas: “In any case, the Australians have a warrant out for his arrest.”
6:06 PM <rkcgm> ((Sorry, – Ted, not Ned.))
6:06 PM <sila> “Well all right. We’ll see what we can do.”
6:06 PM <sila> “Off to the frozen north!”
6:06 PM <sila> “Or anyway the refrigerated north.”
6:07 PM <havrasti> “I’m fairly confident it’s frozen right about now.”
6:07 PM <ellie> “Hey, Sila – at least it isn’t /exactly/ the same as the last job: we’re not off to some place hot.”
6:07 PM <sila> “we are if we catch him, but by then we might be wishing for some hot weather.”
6:09 PM <ellie> ((Okay, ready to skip on to the plane or to Canada if others are.))
6:09 PM <sila> ((OK))
6:09 PM <havrasti> ((k))
6:11 PM <rkcgm> You have been instructed to fly to Toronto, in order to meet up with the relevant members of the RCMP.
6:13 PM <ellie> Once we reach the plane, Ellie helps Havrasti with pre-flight procedures. Old habits die hard. ;-)
6:14 PM * Havrasti is happy to make use of those habits ;)
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Yes, I am buckled, and my seat-back is in a full upright position…”
6:14 PM * Sila gets out her flight training logbook and heads for the cockpit
6:15 PM * Ellie smirks at Llewelyn. “Good job. Before I even asked.”
6:18 PM <havrasti> “It’s much easier to deal with when it’s just a few people you know, right?”
6:18 PM * Sila checks gauges and flips switches
6:18 PM <ellie> “Heh. Yes. Yes, it is.”
6:22 PM * Ellie takes care of refreshment service through the flight. Aaah, familiar routine feels good.
6:22 PM <ellie> When she’s not doing that, she sits and chats with Llewelyn, takes a nap, and reads in that order.
6:23 PM <rkcgm> It’s a short flight to Toronto, and Havrasti is directed to park the plane at a remote hanger at the airport. A pair of unmarked RCMP cars are waiting for you.
6:24 PM * Sila is copilot. A dragoness’s traditional role is more like wingman, but there’s only one airplane, after all.
6:25 PM <ellie> When we debark, Ellie goes forward to greet our reception committee. ( ;-) )
6:26 PM <sila> “Shutdown, shutdown, shutdown…and log. Let’s go!”
6:27 PM * Sila grabs her bag and joggs to catch up with Ellie
6:27 PM * Havrasti gets out of the cabin and grabs his stuff and heads out to our greeters
6:27 PM <rkcgm> One car has a Canadian border control agent in it, who makes a cursory check of your passports before departing.
6:28 PM <rkcgm> The second car has a middle-aged man in the uniform of a Mountie assistant commissioner.
6:29 PM <rkcgm> He nods to you. “Welcome to Canada. Thank you for coming on such short notice.”
6:29 PM <rkcgm> “I’m Assistant Commissioner Campbell.”
6:30 PM <havrasti> “Hello sir.”
6:30 PM * Ellie offers a hand to shake, “I’m Ellie Ross.”
6:30 PM <sila> “It’s no trouble. It got us out of a boring meeting, heh. I’m Sila Ha-uh-Dvorak, pleased to meet you.”
6:32 PM <llewelyn>: “Hello again, Commissioner.”
6:32 PM <rkcgm> Campbell shakes hands all around.
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Constable Vaillancourt and Agent Leto are still back at our operations center downtown. We’ll be going back there for a final briefing before we move in and make the arrest.”
6:34 PM <sila> “Great! I hope we get some time to talk in here somewhere, I need to discuss a business proposition with them too.”
6:36 PM <ellie> “Oh, so you guys know where he is? That’s good. I guess I wasn’t clear on where you guys were in the process of the investigation.”
6:36 PM <havrasti> “So are you ready to head there?”
6:39 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Yes – we’ve been conducting covert surveillance on Powers and someone who may be an associate.”
6:39 PM <sila> “oh – are we arresting them both now?”
6:40 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Not yet. My plan is to move in on them early tomorrow morning, preferrably while they are sleeping.”
6:41 PM <sila> “Because it’s hard to do mind-reading in one’s sleep, of course.”
6:41 PM <ellie> “That’s probably for the best. We have anything to /keep/ them asleep? Maybe something Anna’s been able to work up?”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “We do, actually.”
6:41 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Anna just needs to give a good huff and we can keep them out cold for a day or two.”
6:42 PM <ellie> “…Oh. Right. I /knew/ that. Oh, too much else happening between now and the last time we saw Anna.”
6:43 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “In theory, we could have made the arrest ourselves – but if this Powers fellow is a telepath, I do not wish to leave anything to chance.”
6:43 PM <sila> “Can’t blame you there.”
6:45 PM <sila> “You can tell us more about him while we drive, maybe? We’d like to know what sort of things he’s been doing.”
6:46 PM <ellie> “Yeah, I was just about to ask, too – it would be good to know what we need to be prepared for.”
6:46 PM * Havrasti helps Sila into the car
6:46 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Certainly. Get in and we’ll head back into town.”
6:46 PM * Sila grins and accepts his help
6:47 PM * Ellie also gets in the car.
6:49 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “At the moment, Powers is living in Peterborough – about an hour and fifteen minutes drive northeast of here – under the surname Rochard Lee.”
6:49 PM <rkcgm> ((Er, alias Richard Lee.))
6:51 PM <sila> “Is he accused of local crimes, or is he just lying low thinking he’s far enough from home to be safe?”
6:53 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “We believe he’s lying low. We uncovered the Powers connection by comparing some online data, including a failed drug screening that he took several weeks ago.”
6:53 PM <ellie> “Was the screening for a job or something?”
6:54 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Yes, it was. At the moment, he appears to be unemployed.”
6:55 PM <havrasti> “One wonders how someone who has mind control powers can be unemployed.”
6:55 PM <sila> “Lying low, remember?”
6:56 PM <havrasti> “Fair enough, I suppose.”
6:56 PM <sila> “Also, he’s ‘brilliant’ enough to show up to a drug screening with something in his system.”
6:58 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “In that particular case, the initial screening was failed, and passed when it went to a second laboratory. Not usually that big of an issue.”
6:59 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “It flagged him for further attention within the system, however, and the computer uncovered discrepancies regarding his assumed identity.”
7:00 PM <sila> “Ah, I see.”
7:01 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Currently, he’s living in an apartment officially rented by a female acquaintance, Courtney Danielson, who has been investigated twice for credit card fraud – but she was never charged with any crime. It’s uncertain if she’s merely in bad company – or if she knows who Powers is.”
7:02 PM <ellie> “Hmm. And did the Australians give you any information we should be aware of about Powers’ abilities?”
7:03 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Yes, they did.”
7:06 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “According to the AFP’s file, Powers was employed as a courier for a southeast Asian syndicate. Drugs, weapons, and human trafficking. His task was to move money from place to place. He apparently used his telepathy to avoid police and border control.”
7:07 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “On one occasion in Singapore, he walked right through the middle of a group of six policemen who had been sent to arrest him – and none of them ever saw him. Caught on security camera.”
7:08 PM <ellie> “Hmm. So dodging with telepathy, I can understand. That… is slightly expanded. Is that where what we heard about mind control came from?”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “The Australians identified several other instances where – it appears – Powers used his telepathy against other people.”
7:12 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I can give you the file to read later.”
7:12 PM <havrasti> “That would be good.”
7:12 PM <ellie> “I’d appreciate that. I’m particularly interested in the telepathy angle.”
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I can understand why.”
7:13 PM <ellie> “Or really, more the ‘beyond telepathy’ angle.”
7:13 PM <sila> “Hoping to learn something for your own future use?”
7:14 PM <ellie> “You’re thinking a little farther ahead than I am; I’m just hoping to figure out how to defuse things he might try to throw at us.”
7:14 PM <ellie> “I don’t know that I’d want to use many ‘beyond telepathy’ methods, anyway.”
7:15 PM <sila> “You say that now, but next time you’re faced with someone like the persuader you might find yourself going ‘it beats deadly force’ you know.”
7:15 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “My objective is to arrest Powers without a fight, then have Anna sedate him for extradition. Without a reliable defense against telepathic control, though, our best idea was to use a police sharpshooter at five hundred yards. Somewhat permanent, for someone that is innocent until proven guilty.”
7:17 PM <sila> “See? Because even invasive telepathy beats deadly force. Although you’d think they’d make sedative darts that could work with those guns. What’s the range on an elephant tranquilizer rifle?”
7:17 PM <ellie> “…Maybe. But I’d rather get something like those collars Safeguard made Mom wear to block her magic. That /also/ beats deadly force.”
7:18 PM <sila> “If you can get it on the person.”
7:18 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “About fifty yards, for those rifles.”
7:19 PM <havrasti> “What about drones?”
7:19 PM <sila> “Ah – bit short range for our purposes, I guess…”
7:19 PM <ellie> “…Now that I think of it, Llewelyn, does DEAR not /have/ anything like those collars? And if so, why are they not a standard-issue part of our gear?”
7:21 PM <sila> “DEAR has menhirs, at least sometimes.”
7:21 PM <llewelyn>: “That was a Safeguard thing… I think they were limited availability.”
7:21 PM <ellie> “I love the menhirs, but you can’t pack them in a suitcase.”
7:21 PM <llewelyn>: “I’ll make a note to look into that.”
7:23 PM <ellie> “…We ought to see if we can borrow one, ask Anna and Elizabeth to have a conference, and get them to figure out how to mass-produce them.”
7:24 PM <rkcgm> Campbell grins. “Don’t you just love what that girl can do with magic?”
7:24 PM <havrasti> “Yep.”
7:25 PM <sila> “SCIENCE! Hahaha!”
7:26 PM <ellie> “/I’m/ looking forward to seeing what happens when she meets the new friend we made recently. More in the sciency-magic vein. They’re going to get along splendidly.”
7:26 PM <ellie> “They’ll need Sila working with them, though.”
7:26 PM <ellie> “I’ll go read a book while I’m waiting for the results.”
7:27 PM <sila> “We’re probably going to revolutionize drug rehab, get rich, and stick it to a greedy fool. I can’t wait!”
7:28 PM <sila> “But official jobs first.”
7:29 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Of course.”
7:33 PM <rkcgm> ((Shall we perhaps end here for the evening, and then pick up next week at the field HQ?))
7:33 PM <sila> ((we can do that))
7:34 PM <havrasti> ((sure, I’m feeling a bit tired actually))
7:35 PM <ellie> ((Okiedoke))
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
4:35 PM <rkcgm> Last week, you flew to Canada to assist in the arrest of Ted Powers, wanted in Australia for crimes assorted and sundry, including telepathic misdirection of law enforcement officers…
4:35 PM <rkcgm> You’ve been met at the airport by Assistant Commissioner Campbell of the RCMP, Anna’s boss (and the overseer of Canada’s magical enforcement), who is driving you to his HQ in downtown Toronto.
4:35 PM <rkcgm> You arrive without incident at a marginally-official looking building, and Campbell escorts you to the second floor, where you find Anna and Sam poking at some weird equipment.
4:36 PM <rkcgm> Anna looks up and smiles. “Bonjour!”
4:36 PM <ellie> “Hello.”
4:37 PM <havrasti> “Hello you two.”
4:37 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “I’m very pleased you’re all here! Can I experiment on you?”
4:38 PM <ellie> “Was the experiment to see how we would react to that question?”
4:38 PM <rkcgm> Commissioner Campbell looks amused.
4:38 PM <havrasti> “…What sort of experiment?”
4:39 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Non, non! Sam and I are making a device to prove my theory of how magic works.”
4:39 PM <sila> “I’ll do experiments!”
4:40 PM <rkcgm> Commissioner Campbell: “Limit your activities to my fifteen minute coffee and bathroom break, please. After that, we have work to discuss.”
4:40 PM <rkcgm> ((Commissioner exeunt stage left, with mug.))
4:41 PM <sila> “Aw, it sounds like we’ll have to do it later.”
4:41 PM <ellie> “Heh. Cracks the whip, doesn’t he? But it sounds like we do have rather urgent matters to be dealing with.”
4:41 PM <ellie> “The magic /should/ be around later.”
4:41 PM <samleto> “Don’t worry, Sila, we’ll get around to it. It’ll be fun!”
4:42 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Aw… yes, I will require more than fifteen minutes. But I will tell you my theories while he’s out!”
4:42 PM <havrasti> “So how have you two been?”
4:42 PM * SamLeto finishes his immediate bit of tinkering and comes over to hug his sister.
4:43 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “It has been very good! I picked up Sam at the airport last night, and we had a good dinner!”
4:44 PM * Sila hugs back
4:44 PM <sila> “Just you to, or with your family?”
4:44 PM <llewelyn> is looking at Anna’s gizmo, not saying anything.
4:45 PM * Ellie is listening to the discussion, not saying anything.
4:45 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Just us. After we’re done with the arrest tomorrow, we’ll drive back to Montreal to meet my family.”
4:45 PM <samleto> “Yeah, the family dinner kind of got rescheduled. That’s on the ‘get around to it later’ list too.”
4:46 PM <sila> “Well I have a third entry for you. Label it ‘personal business proposal’ and help me remember to bring it up, ok?”
4:46 PM <samleto> “Business proposal? What kind of business?”
4:46 PM <sila> “It’d take more than 15 minutes to explain.”
4:47 PM <ellie> "You’ll also want to add, ‘Hear about people with whom I’ll want to make friends.’ "
4:47 PM <ellie> “Unless Sila’s already told you about our recent trip.”
4:47 PM <sila> “Hah. Like anyone’s been able to tell him anything about any trip but this one, lately.”
4:48 PM <samleto> “What? You were still ON that trip when I left!”
4:48 PM <rkcgm> Anna smiles.
4:48 PM <ellie> “Heh, I meant Anna. I didn’t know if you had texted or something.”
4:48 PM <samleto> “Oh.”
4:48 PM * SamLeto turns red
4:48 PM * Sila chuckles
4:49 PM <sila> “I don’t know actually – did anyone contact you about the whole self-taught alchemist with the magic computer?”
4:49 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “No, but this sounds relevant to my interests!”
4:49 PM <sila> “I kind of vaguely recall talking about requesting a consultation at one point, but I’m not sure if it actually happened…”
4:50 PM <ellie> “Oh, it will definitely be relevant.”
4:50 PM <sila> “Well. It’s conntected to the business proposal, and the people you will want to meet and make friends with.”
4:50 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Oh, that’s why Douglas called me at one in the morning.”
4:50 PM <sila> “I am /so/ sorry, then.”
4:50 PM <ellie> “…Douglas.” Ellie sighs. “I would’ve thought he’d know better than that.”
4:51 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Why? I work a second shift.”
4:51 PM <sila> “Well, and at a couple of points, things were rather in emergency mode.”
4:51 PM <sila> “There was a rogue goblin persuader involved, too – you know about those guys?”
4:52 PM <samleto> “Sounds like someone who knocks goblins on the head to get them to behave.”
4:52 PM <ellie> “It’s more like the use of that Influence magic, Sam.”
4:52 PM <ellie> "It… bends how people think, and thus “persuades” them to do what the “persuader” tells them."
4:53 PM <rkcgm> Anna: "My Pa told me goblins always have a leader called a Persuader. It’s like a caste of chieftains.
4:53 PM <rkcgm> "
4:53 PM <samleto> “Oooh…sounds nasty. Was he persuading the alchemist or something?”
4:54 PM <llewelyn>: “Wanted to, I think.”
4:54 PM <ellie> “He used masks to make a bunch of former drug addicts into goblins so he could persuade them to be his gang.”
4:54 PM <sila> “He tried stealing her stuff outright first though.”
4:54 PM <sila> “First before persuading her, not first before making his gang.”
4:54 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Oh, ew.”
4:55 PM <sila> “Yeah, it was both complicated and very bad; they weren’t over-careful of lives.”
4:55 PM <ellie> “There were a few we were able to help, but some we just couldn’t do anything for.”
4:56 PM <rkcgm> Assistant-Commissioner Campbell returns. “So, has Anna expounded yet upon the mysteries of the universe, yet?”
4:56 PM <sila> “You might have heard about it actually – thefts and cop-killings in California. So yeah, complicated, and we’ll tell you the whole story when we have time.”
4:56 PM <ellie> “Aaah… she didn’t have time in the process of catching up with us on little details within the universe.”
4:56 PM <ellie> “So I guess we’ll have to hear more later.”
4:57 PM <havrasti> “We’re saving the magic analysis for later.”
4:57 PM <sila> “And social analysis, and marketplace analysis – that leaves criminals to analyze right now.”
4:58 PM <samleto> “I hope the arrest and transfer go smoothly, it sounds like we have a LOT to talk about.”
4:59 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “We’re going to try to do that in the wee hours of the morning.”
5:00 PM <havrasti> “So what are you planning on doing until then?”
5:00 PM <rkcgm> Campbell takes a seat at the head of the conference table: “Although we’ll have our own telepath for our mind-defense, and Anna will knock him out as soon as we can, I’d prefer to play things as safe as possible.”
5:01 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Until then? I’m probably going to take a hefty nap.”
5:01 PM <rkcgm> ((FTR, it’s ~5 PM.))
5:01 PM * Ellie grins and nods at the sensibleness of the plan.
5:01 PM <sila> “Because tiredness is not known for promoting mental resilience, yes.”
5:02 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “If we can get him while he’s asleep, so much the better.”
5:02 PM <samleto> “Hooray for second shift, heh.”
5:04 PM <havrasti> “Alright then, is there a lounge where we can wait?”
5:04 PM <ellie> “Agreed. All the better to forestall conflict. Though… ah… I’m sorry to say it, but I’m not entirely sure what /defensive/ applications my telepathy might have.”
5:05 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I presumed you could help defend the rest of us by applying mental pressure – the best defense is a good offense, eh?”
5:06 PM <ellie> “…Oh. Well. I suppose I can try, if necessary. I haven’t actually done much of that, but… I’ll do my best.”
5:07 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I have every confidence in your abilities, Agent Ross.”
5:08 PM <ellie> Ellie /thinks/ (but doesn’t telepathy), /Yeah, but do I?/ She /says/, “Well, thank you.”
5:09 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Now. I will have six other RCMP officers on hand for the arrest, aside from Constable Vaillancourt and myself. They’re all briefed on ‘special abilities’ and they have instructions to support, but not to tangle directly with Powers.”
5:10 PM <sila> “Duly noted.”
5:11 PM <rkcgm> Campbell gets out his laptop and plugs in to the room’s display screen.
5:12 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “First, a recent photo of Powers.”
5:14 PM * Ellie looks at the photo and nods when she feels familiar with it.
5:15 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Powers is staying in an apartment owned by a female friend, Courtney Danielson.”
5:15 PM <sila> “Are any elements of his appearance known to be artifacts of disguise? Hair dye, or whatever? Illusion user?”
5:16 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “My surveillance equipment detected no magical effects active. As for disguises, we don’t believe so.”
5:16 PM <sila> “OK.”
5:17 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “We don’t know if Danielson will be present at the time. So far as we know, they do not have any romantic connections, and Danielson shows no indications of being empowered in any way.”
5:17 PM <llewelyn>: “They have weapons?”
5:17 PM <sila> “So she owns but does not live in the apartment?”
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Presume they do. We’ll provide you with some body armour.”
5:18 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “She usually does, but she is often absent.”
5:19 PM <ellie> "Does she have any knowledge of Powers’ criminal status, so far as you know?
5:19 PM <havrasti> “Does anyone else come and go?”
5:21 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “We presume that she is well-informed about Powers, but cannot conclude that absolutely. If she’s present, I intend to take her in for questioning on the basis of assisting a fugitive.”
5:22 PM <ellie> ‘/me nods understanding.
5:22 PM * Ellie nods understanding.
5:22 PM <sila> “Sensible.”
5:23 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: "If she is not present, then we’ll monitor her closely."
5:23 PM <sila> “If she doesn’t know about him, she might come in and file a missing person report, heheh.”
5:24 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “She might, at that.”
5:27 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Here’s a layout of the apartment. Based on electronic surveillance, we presume Powers is sleeping in this room, here.”
5:28 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “If she’s present, we believe Danielson will be across the hall.”
5:28 PM <havrasti> “Ellie should be able to pin point exactly, unless we’re worried about that alerting him.”
5:29 PM <ellie> “…That /is/ a good question, really. I’ve not been around enough telepaths to know how much they can sense.”
5:32 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I’d prefer not to take any risks unless you feel they are absolutely necessary.”
5:33 PM <tgu_away> ah, there we go
5:34 PM <ellie> Welcome back.
5:34 PM <ellie> Technical difficulties. They are difficult. ;)
5:34 PM <tgu_away> they are
5:34 PM <tgu_away> last I saw
5:34 PM <tgu_away> [14:27::54] <~rkcgm> Campbell: “If she’s present, we believe Danielson will be across the hall.”
5:34 PM <tgu_away> [14:28::43] <havrasti> “Ellie should be able to pin point exactly, unless we’re worried about that alerting him.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:28 PM <havrasti> “Ellie should be able to pin point exactly, unless we’re worried about that alerting him.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:29 PM <ellie> “…That /is/ a good question, really. I’ve not been around enough telepaths to know how much they can sense.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:32 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I’d prefer not to take any risks unless you feel they are absolutely necessary.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:28 PM <havrasti> “Ellie should be able to pin point exactly, unless we’re worried about that alerting him.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:29 PM <ellie> “…That /is/ a good question, really. I’ve not been around enough telepaths to know how much they can sense.”
5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:35 PM <rkcgm> 5:32 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I’d prefer not to take any risks unless you feel they are absolutely necessary.”
5:35 PM <sila> “Sounds like we’ll need Anna twice if she’s there – we won’t be getting them both in one big breath with that arrangement.”
5:36 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Shouldn’t be a problem.”
5:37 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “So are there any questions?”
5:37 PM <ellie> “Well… at risk of ruining everything, it sounds relatively straightforward. Anything else we should know?”
5:39 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I don’t believe there is. Constable Vaillancourt?”
5:39 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “No sir.”
5:40 PM <samleto> “…do I get to come?”
5:40 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “That wasn’t taken for granted? Of course.”
5:41 PM <samleto> “Right, right – of course. Just making sure.”
5:41 PM <ellie> “Okay, well. Then my only other question is, where would be a good place to get in preparatory naps?”
5:41 PM * SamLeto tries to sound like he totally expected that answer.
5:41 PM * Sila frowns at Sam but keeps her mouth shut.
5:44 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “There are some cots in the next few rooms. Me – I’m going back to my hotel for a good dinner and a nap. You can do what you please until we rendezvous back here at 2.”
5:44 PM * Ellie nods, figuring she’ll just do whatever the others do.
5:45 PM <rkcgm> Anna totally has a look that says “EXPERIMENTATION MWAHAHA.”
5:45 PM * Ellie totally has a look that says, “Responsible preparation for the upcoming job. AKA sleep. :-p”
5:45 PM <sila> “Well! Time to talk!”
5:46 PM * Ellie sighs.
5:46 PM <sila> “Maybe over dinner?”
5:46 PM <sila> “…what? It’s supper time!”
5:47 PM <llewelyn>: “Any good restaurants in the area?”
5:47 PM <tgu_away> “So it is! Steak, BBQ? Etc.?”
5:48 PM <ellie> “Dinner is fine. But I’m going to bow out of any talk for talk’s sake afterward. If I’m being looked to as ‘telepathic backup defense’.. when I don’t have /any/ practice at doing that… I’m going to prepare as best I can by /sleeping.”
5:49 PM <sila> “Sure, sure, but naps are for after dinner. You want to be fed and digested when we go out hunting.”
5:49 PM <sila> “Even if we /are/ hoping the quarry stays asleep the whole time.”
5:50 PM <rkcgm> Anna fiddles with her iPad. “Jacobs & Co Steakhouse? About a ten minute drive from here.”
5:50 PM <samleto> “That sounds promising.”
5:50 PM <havrasti> “Good enough for me.”
5:51 PM <sila> “I hope staff aren’t much into eavesdropping, or they’ll think we’re crazy, hehe.”
5:51 PM <ellie> “We could get something carry-out.”
5:51 PM <ellie> “Or delivery, for that matter.”
5:52 PM <havrasti> “Just bring your D&D books into the restaurant, Sila, they’ll think we’re talking about that.”
5:52 PM <sila> “I don’t know too many steakhouses that deliver…”
5:52 PM <llewelyn>: “Or use magic to dampen sound around us.”
5:53 PM <sila> “There’s a plan. Steak /and/ free conversation.”
5:54 PM <samleto> “You can tell us the rest of the story about the magic computer and the persuader!”
5:54 PM <sila> “Come on Ellie, there will be plenty of time to sleep between after dinner and 2am.”
5:56 PM <ellie> “I’m coming, I’m coming. I wasn’t objecting to /dinner/ earlier, anyway. I was objecting to the idea of /talking/ before the idea of dinner had been suggested.”
5:56 PM <sila> “Heh, ok then.”
5:56 PM <ellie> “I don’t want to go in hungry any more than I want to go in tired.”
5:56 PM <samleto> “Right – no distrations!”
5:57 PM * Havrasti heads off to the steakhouse!
5:58 PM <llewelyn>: “We’ve got eight hours to burn, anyway. Time enough for dinner, talking, and naps.”
5:58 PM * Sila has no problem making a prompt exit
5:59 PM * Ellie follows the others out.
5:59 PM <sila> ((shall we fast-forward to the steakhouse, and maybe to after the general recap of the last mission? “And then we told them the story” style?))
5:59 PM <ellie> ((Works for me.))
5:59 PM <havrasti> ((fine wtih me))
6:00 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure.))
6:01 PM * Ellie eats a hearty dinner of steak and fries… and still looks like she’s eating almost nothing in comparison to the four dragons at her table. Aaah, the advantages of having dragon friends. ;-)
6:01 PM <sila> “…so there you have it. The persuader isn’t our problem any more, the people you need to meet are Elizabeth Cato and whats-his-name Purdue, there are at least two honest to goodness magic computers in California.”
6:03 PM <sila> “Oh, and the business opportunity! I’m trying to convince the fool with the older model to sell me the rights to his research on addiction recovery mitigation patches, and maybe even the computer since he’s afraid of it now.”
6:04 PM <ellie> “Assuming he’s still willing to sell once he’s convinced – as he had very much better be – that magical anti-aging products are /not/ a viable business plan.”
6:04 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “It sounds like a possibility, though he’ll probably still try to make you pay a lot for it.”
6:04 PM <sila> “If he sells, I’ll have to liquidate my platinum – sad – but I’m thinking between Elizabeth and Anna and you, Sam, we should be able to turn a profit and then I can buy more.”
6:04 PM <havrasti> “Lots more.”
6:04 PM <sila> “For all of us!”
6:04 PM <havrasti> “Then Sila can find some more pies to invest her claws in.”
6:05 PM * Ellie is kinda wondering why more people aren’t worried about his plan of selling magical appearance-altering products. :p
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “I’ll definitely try to meet this Elizabeth Cato; it sounds like she may be interested in my own research.”
6:06 PM <ellie> “Oh, almost certainly.”
6:06 PM <sila> "Give me a couple decades, and I might have a hoard that LOOKS like a hoard! But yeah, one way or the other, Elizabeth and her guy are definitely our kind of people. Doing science to magic for fun and profit, hehe :) "
6:07 PM <samleto> “Are we sure that magical anti-aging products are /not/ a viable business plan? I mean maybe not masks, but…I’m thinking cosmetics have less stringent oversight than pharmaceuticals. Maybe /we/ should look into some of that.”
6:08 PM <sila> “Uh…I think we’d want to think twice about truly magical cosmetics. Maybe even three times.”
6:09 PM <sila> “We’re supposed to keep magic a secret, for one thing, remember?”
6:09 PM <ellie> “And THAT is my concern.”
6:10 PM <samleto> “Yeah…yeah, I’m just imagining what a little bit of healing magic in a facial cream could do, and it seems like they all /claim/ to do it already…”
6:10 PM <ellie> “…Unjustifiable risk.”
6:11 PM <ellie> “One is for helping people out of… well, essentially out of slavery. The other is for vanity. Even if we presumed that both equally risked exposing magic when we’re not supposed to, the latter /simply isn’t worth it/.”
6:11 PM <ellie> “And frankly, I think the latter is /also/ the /greater/ risk.”
6:11 PM <sila> “I have to admit, if that ever /stops/ being our job, though, I bet Elizabeth and the Alex machines could do amazing things with pre-treated bandages.”
6:13 PM <ellie> “Fair enough. If we weren’t supposed to keep a lid on things, the game would be rather different. Still. I’m concerned about what happens when you guys buy the anti-drug concept from [enter businessman’s name here], and he goes to try and /develop/ the anti-aging line he wanted to abandon it for.”
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “He won’t.”
6:14 PM <llewelyn>: “Theodore will sit on him until he sees the error of that way.”
6:14 PM <sila> “That’s kind of one of the reasons I’m hoping to get the older Alex away from him while he’s still scared of it, too.”
6:15 PM <sila> “It’d eliminate his temptation to try and hire someone else he doesn’t know how to screen properly to try and work with it.”
6:15 PM <ellie> “Fair enough. I agree that getting Alex 2.0 away from him is a worthy cause.”
6:16 PM <sila> “…While saving DEAR the trouble of coming up with a legal excuse for confiscating it.”
6:16 PM <llewelyn>: “Quite.”
6:16 PM <rkcgm> Anna exchanges a glance at Sam: “So… this magical machine of hers… how did it work? Details!”
6:16 PM * Havrasti noms his third steak
6:17 PM <rkcgm> Anna is digging in her purse for a thing.
6:17 PM <sila> “We don’t KNOW yet!”
6:17 PM <ellie> “Purely experientially, I would have called it magical AI. But that’s the literature major talking.”
6:17 PM <sila> “I think her fiance’ might be a …what’s the words I want… breath mage, but also… technopath?”
6:18 PM <sila> “Which is yet another reason I want my own Alex. I wanna study the device itself. I want to do it SO MUCH. You have no idea.”
6:19 PM <samleto> “I think we’re getting the idea.”
6:19 PM <samleto> “The question is, can you study it that much without breaking it?”
6:19 PM * Ellie is thinking how the literature major is content /just/ having experienced the magical AI.
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Anna puts something on the table that looks like a miniature wireless hub. “I ask because… I made this!”
6:19 PM <sila> "Hey, I gotta get my investment back. Non-destructive testing only… …ooooh.’
6:20 PM * Sila pokes at the hub with her element-senses
6:20 PM <sila> [Hello the device!]
6:20 PM <havrasti> “You have intrigued the other dragoness.”
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Anna grins widely.
6:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Perception, Sila. Versus difficult.))
6:21 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: difficult versus
6:21 PM <sila> “What does it do?” [What is your function?]
6:21 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficult versus”: (4+2+5+5+4). Total: 20.
6:21 PM <sila> !6d6
6:21 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (2+3+1+5+2+3). Total: 16.
6:21 PM <rkcgm> ((Boo.))
6:21 PM <sila> ((boo hiss))
6:21 PM <ellie> ((red donation?))
6:21 PM <sila> ((anyone willing to donate a cheap coin for this?))
6:22 PM <sila> ((is that an offer, Wayfarer?))
6:22 PM <ellie> ((See above. I have, to be exact, red, blue, and green
6:22 PM <sila> !6d6: Ellie’s red
6:22 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Ellie’s red”: (2+5+2+5+6+2). Total: 22.
6:22 PM <ellie> !2d6: uncancelled 6, yay!
6:22 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “uncancelled 6, yay!”: (1+1). Total: 2.
6:22 PM <havrasti> ((nice!))
6:23 PM <rkcgm> ((Gold.))
6:23 PM <sila> ((yay, coin upgrade bonus :D ))
6:23 PM <ellie> ((I gets a shiny! :-D ;-))
6:25 PM <rkcgm> Sila: it’s actually the body of a small wireless hub, but it’s been gutted. Inside, you can sense a set of electronic components, in addition to a set of sandwich-like wafers of cobalt, ytterbium, and iridium.
6:26 PM <rkcgm> It’s purpose is to detect magic, though you can’t figure out yet how or what it does with that…
6:26 PM <sila> “Hmm, exotic…oh, is this what you used to check the apartment for magic?”
6:27 PM <rkcgm> Anna nods. “You are as clever as your brother.”
6:27 PM <rkcgm> Anna throws Sam a look. “But he’s cuter.”
6:28 PM <havrasti> “And she’s prettier.”
6:28 PM * Ellie snerks.
6:28 PM <rkcgm> Anna stirs, stirs, stirs the pot.
6:28 PM <ellie> “They’d both /better/ say that.”
6:28 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “You’re biased, I’m sure.”
6:28 PM <sila> “Heh, thanks! Can you make more? Havrasti does it naturally now, but this seems like the kind of device that every magic-policing force on the planet needs with backups…”
6:28 PM * SamLeto just grins widely
6:29 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “It’s expensive. This thing cost us about twelve thousand… Canadian dollars.”
6:29 PM <sila> “Because of the exotic metal components, I presume?”
6:30 PM <rkcgm> Anna plugs it into her iPad. “And writing the ap to run it was just a pain.”
6:30 PM <sila> “See now that’s the kind of thing you should’ve asked me about.”
6:30 PM <sila> [see any magic here, little device?]
6:30 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Amongst other things. Manufacturing tolerances… and you were out on a Pacific Ocean vacation at the time.”
6:31 PM <sila> “Did you hear there’s a whole clan of dragons living out there now?”
6:32 PM <rkcgm> The iPad makes a soft tone and the display changes, showing a screen that indicates a list of magic effects in the device’s operational range.
6:32 PM * Sila listens to the output without actually looking of course
6:32 PM <sila> “Ah, there’s our jewels…”
6:33 PM <rkcgm> Detector: “Illusion effect. Silencing effect. Shapeshifting effect. Shapeshifting effect. Shapeshifting effect.”
6:33 PM <sila> “Llewelyn are you magicking your clothes again?”
6:33 PM <havrasti> “Only three shapeshifting effects?”
6:33 PM <ellie> “Your shapeshifting, like mine, would cease to be magical once it’s in place, I think.”
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “That might be the case.”
6:34 PM <havrasti> “ah, I guess so.”
6:34 PM <sila> “Bit of a blind spot it so, though.”
6:34 PM <llewelyn>: “Appearance only, Sila.”
6:35 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Work in progress. This is my mobile device. I’m trying to build a more capable version.”
6:35 PM <sila> “Which will be more sensitive, but also more expensive of course.”
6:35 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Naturally.”
6:35 PM <sila> “We really should be in business anyway. Defense contractors.”
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “If I can build it, though, I might be able to detect entrances to pocket worlds.”
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Which might help us locate the Arab terrorist mages.”
6:38 PM <sila> “…I can do that. But again, letting /anyone/ in the magic-policing community do it would be a big step up.”
6:41 PM <sila> “Really, one of the scariest things about discovering DEAR and all the modern travel between worlds is realizing how much potential chaos is out there with how little ability for authorities to respond.”
6:41 PM <llewelyn>: “It’d let us take out some of the worst bad guys on our side of the fence, at least.”
6:42 PM <sila> “That too. I hadn’t heard that they were hiding in pocket-worlds; I wonder why nobody though to get me looking for them?”
6:44 PM <sila> “I mean…it sounds like weeks of boredom interspersed with a few hours of extreme stress and fear, but given that I /am/ capable and we /don’t/ have this device yet, I seem like the logical choice to pursue it. Them. You know what I mean.”
6:45 PM <llewelyn>: “I thought you had to be in spitting range to detect a new one.”
6:45 PM <ellie> “And they /have/ been keeping us busy on other things that also required your attention.”
6:46 PM <ellie> “Number of brush fires vs. number of firefighters.”
6:46 PM <sila> “Well…pretty close, anyway…though I can also work with the magnet/detector.”
6:46 PM <sila> “What’s the expected range on your larger model, Anna?”
6:49 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Continental, ideally, depending upon factors like altitude and distance of the component pieces.”
6:50 PM <sila> “Oh, wow, that’s great! It really is like the magnet/detector then.”
6:50 PM <samleto> “Its going to be awesome!”
6:50 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “If I had two of these mobile devices, I could triangulate with anything in Ontario, I’m pretty sure.”
6:50 PM * SamLeto gives Anna a proud grin.
6:51 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Another reason Sam’s here. His abilities might help with the manufacture of the next stage.”
6:53 PM <samleto> “Finally, something useful that actually has to do with my element…”
6:54 PM <sila> “I thought you were getting decent at that medical radiology thing.”
6:54 PM <samleto> “Hmph. It’s still dangerous to do too much of it.”
6:54 PM <sila> “People get x-rays all the time Sam.”
6:55 PM <samleto> “Yeah, ‘cause there’s perfectly good mundae equipment for it all over the place.”
6:57 PM * Sila rolls her eyes at Sam. “Sometimes it amazes me how much you actually have figured out to do with it, but that only makes it even more annoying when you get this ‘I can’t do anything’ pitty party going.”
6:57 PM * SamLeto humphs again and attacks the last of his steak
6:58 PM * Ellie grins a little. Mostly because she kinda knows what it feels like to have Sila taking a… ah… more optimistic view of your abilities than you do. ;-)
6:58 PM <sila> ((hehe))
7:00 PM <ellie> She’s just glad the idea of “being dangerous” in a /good/ way is /completely/ off-topic right now. ;-)
7:00 PM <samleto> “…anyway I’m helping with the alchemy too.”
7:03 PM <sila> “That’s good. Did Anna let you help her with this one too?”
7:04 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Sure did!”
7:05 PM <samleto> “It was great fun. I used some of what you told me about the detector you made, and a lot of different stuff from the alchemy tutoring. Spent hours with our heads together in the lab, oh yes…”
7:06 PM <ellie> Despite herself, Ellie smirks at the image of “heads together.”
7:06 PM <ellie> <.><
7:06 PM <ellie> >.>
7:07 PM * SamLeto doesn’t quite manage to suppress his own smirk
7:07 PM * Sila grins
7:07 PM <sila> “Sounds exciting.”
7:08 PM <sila> “…what percentage of this time would you estimate you spent actually working?”
7:09 PM <samleto> “Tease all you want, the results speak for themselves.”
7:09 PM <samleto> “Especially when they’re talking to you, heh.”
7:12 PM <havrasti> “So no time spent in each others coils? :P ;)”
7:13 PM <samleto> “Hey now. We’re just barely almost-dating.”
7:13 PM <samleto> “Anna’s /not/ that kind of girl.”
7:13 PM <rkcgm> Anna raises an eyebrow. It’s hard to tell if that’s a poker face or just actual innocence.
7:14 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Aaand you get points for that, Sam.”
7:15 PM <sila> “You are /so/ lucky I know you’re joking, dear.”
7:15 PM * Havrasti tries to evade a bap from Sila anyway
7:16 PM * Ellie figures this means he actually /wants/ a bap from Sila. :-p ;)
7:18 PM * Sila doesn’t bap him /hard/ because after all, she does know it was just a joke.
7:18 PM <havrasti> “Anyway, we should probably be getting back to prepare for this nights activities.”
7:18 PM <llewelyn>: “Indeed.”
7:19 PM <sila> “Heh,I’m out of meat and other devourables, I guess that makes it nap time.”
7:20 PM <ellie> “Napping: the /next/ important part of our preparation.”
7:21 PM <sila> “Yep. Napping, and then dealing with the official reason for coming, and then we’ll be fully prepared for magic experiments.”
7:21 PM * Sila winks at Sam and Anna
7:22 PM <ellie> It’s easy to tell that Ellie is the lit-and-philosophy major: her interest doesn’t look all that piqued by the idea of magic experiements.
7:24 PM <sila> ((ping?))
7:25 PM <havrasti> ((pong))
7:25 PM <ellie> ((still here))
7:25 PM <ellie> ((GM was just up a moment, but is back.))
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Yup, still here.))
7:25 PM <sila> ((Sam’s last post hasn’t come through; maybe the other connecting is lagging.))
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Odd.))
7:27 PM <sila> ((looks like the other client is locked up))
7:27 PM <rkcgm> ((How naughty.))
7:28 PM <havrasti> ((and there it goes))
7:28 PM <sila> ((how much longer are we planning to go here? Shall I log it back on, or just let it go?))
7:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Just let it go.))
7:28 PM <rkcgm> ((I figure it’ll take longer than we want to make the arrest, so we’ll do that next week.))
7:28 PM * Sila gives up teasing Sam (and Ellie) and makes for the resting places
7:29 PM * Ellie makes one of the cots as comfortable as she can, and also attempts sleep.
7:30 PM <llewelyn> sleeps for an hour… and then putters around, reading the book he brought.
7:33 PM * Sila pushes her cot next to Havrasti’s and shares a blanket, by way of making it comfortable. It’s not the same as putting ones wing over the other, but it’ll do for the circumstances.
7:33 PM <llewelyn> has that magical advantage of only needing one hour’s sleep to get the equivalent of four. He tries not to be smug about this.
7:34 PM <havrasti> (being distracted by a good book probably helps that)
7:35 PM * Havrasti will happily nap with Sila in his arms
7:35 PM <rkcgm> The evening wears on until very early morning, when Commissioner Campbell comes back about 2 AM. “All right, folks. Let’s get ready.”
7:36 PM * Sila yaaaaaawns.
7:36 PM <sila> “All right, night hunting time!”
7:36 PM <llewelyn>: “…but I just got to the second-to-last chapter!”
7:37 PM * Havrasti grrrumbles a bit, and jokingly says “Don’t you know it’s a bad idea to wake a sleeping dragon?”
7:37 PM <sila> “Havrasti wake up! WAKE UP! Come on, get out of bed. Havrasti! … (whispers) The cows are loose!” *Havrastis suddenly jolts to full wakefullness
7:38 PM <sila> “Works every time!”
== AND ON THAT YAWN, END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
5:23 PM <rkcgm> You have arrived in Toronto to assist in the arrest of Ted Powers, wanted in Australia for being a telepathic hooligan, punk, and general menace to society.
5:23 PM <rkcgm> The plan is to make a swift arrest at 3 AM while he’s sleeping in order to minimize the danger.
5:23 PM <rkcgm> You are supported by Sam, Anna (in her official capacity as a RCMP constable) and Anna’s boss, Assistant Commissioner Campbell.
5:25 PM <havrasti> (and we have since had a nice nap before heading out)
5:25 PM * Sila stretches out after her nap
5:25 PM * Ellie also stretches and yawns and generally tries to get blood flowing again.
5:26 PM <sila> “OK, body armor, check. Official weapon for hopefully non-use, check. Emergency loss prevention strap on the jewel, check.”
5:26 PM * Ellie follows Sila’s lead in doing a readiness run-down.
5:27 PM <samleto> “Nerves as solid as…plutonium, roughly. Check.”
5:28 PM * Sila snorts
5:28 PM * Havrasti arms himself up, “How solid is plutonium?”
5:28 PM <samleto> “Not.”
5:28 PM <havrasti> “I guess that’s one more reason why they don’t use it for a building material, then.”
5:29 PM <sila> “Come on Sam, it’ll be fine. You’re the one who was always set on joining the police or military of something, why are /you/ so nervous.”
5:29 PM <samleto> “First time in the field, remember?”
5:29 PM <llewelyn> also dons body armour, which he decks out with a green-black shemagh.
5:29 PM <ellie> “Sam, if I can do it, you most definitely can do it. I’ve been at it for a while now, and you’re /still/ probably better-prepared than me.”
5:29 PM <samleto> “What if…what if I sneeze at just the wrong moment like some kind of cartoon sidekick and wake up the villian?”
5:30 PM <llewelyn>: “Hey, Sam. I got you one of these, too.”
5:30 PM <llewelyn> tosses Sam a spare ‘scarf’.
5:30 PM * SamLeto puts it on
5:30 PM <samleto> “Thanks.”
5:31 PM <llewelyn>: “You tied it wrong… look. Like this.”
5:31 PM <llewelyn>: “I learned how to wear these one time when I had to go to Afghanistan. All the Special Forces guys wear them.”
5:31 PM * SamLeto blushes like only a red-head can and fixes it
5:32 PM <samleto> “Right. Thanks. Sorry, I just – do I have it right now? Thanks.”
5:32 PM <llewelyn>: “You can tie it off like this, or you can use it to cover your face, prevent identification.”
5:32 PM <llewelyn>: “Yup, that’s right.”
5:32 PM <sila> “…Muffle any awkward sneezes…”
5:33 PM * Ellie snerks. “At least you’re not getting ready to go to a fancy ball, Sam. I think I was more nervous before that than you are now.”
5:33 PM <samleto> “OK, I’m good. I’m equipped, I’m prepared, I’m good.”
5:34 PM <llewelyn>: “She was.”
5:34 PM <llewelyn> doesn’t say that he was nervous too, but throws Ellie a look of amusement.
5:34 PM <sila> “Convinced yourself yet? Anyway, since when do you ever get the random sniffles? You’re /never/ sick.”
5:34 PM <havrasti> “Well of course, that place had many high society judegmetnal types.”
5:35 PM <sila> “Potentially very embarassing, but admittedly unlikely to attempt mind control or murder.”
5:35 PM * Ellie throws Llewelyn a raised-eyebrow, “what are you laughing at” look. But it’s more a teasing than an angry one.
5:35 PM <samleto> “Um. I gotta admit, given the choice I might rather do this than a fancy royal ball thing.”
5:36 PM * SamLeto laughs a smidge less nervously
5:37 PM * Ellie grins. “Told you. If I can do it, you’ll be fine.”
5:38 PM <samleto> “You keep saying things like that…and I keep thinking, Yeah, Says the daughter of the /Ilfirin/ lady…”
5:38 PM <sila> “Yeah, well, you’re the son of Maia Leto-wife the millenial!”
5:39 PM <samleto> “…huh. Never thought of it that way.”
5:39 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Okay, sufficiently psyched up, folks? Let’s go arrest a bad guy.”
5:39 PM <ellie> “Mom wasn’t an Ilfirin until recently, and I didn’t know she was anything but /human/ until even more recently. At least you’ve known about things like this all your life.”
5:39 PM <ellie> “But anyway, yes, ready to go.”
5:40 PM <sila> “Curtains up, we now present the RKCM’s production of Sleeping Ugly!”
5:40 PM * Havrasti chuckles
5:40 PM * Sila follows Campbell towards the official vehicles
5:40 PM <ellie> The nice thing about having to talk Sam out of his nervousness is that Ellie didn’t have time to get nervous about how /she/ was being counted on to potentially do something she has no idea how to do.
5:40 PM <rkcgm> ((You mean RCMP?))
5:41 PM * Ellie follows the others out.
5:42 PM <sila> ((LOL yes that’s what I mean. I am clearly suffering the power of suggestion with respect to your current nick :P :) ))
5:43 PM * Havrasti opens the door for Sila, still the courtious drake
5:43 PM <rkcgm> The drive to the apartment complex lasts about twenty minutes, and you arrive in the neighborhood to find two unmarked cars and a police van waiting for your arrival.
5:44 PM * Sila gets out and goes over to greet the on-site team
5:44 PM <rkcgm> There are a total of six constables, all in vests and armed with shotguns, who are ready to move in.
5:46 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Okay folks, everyone familiar with the plan?”
5:46 PM <havrasti> “So is all as is expected?”
5:47 PM <rkcgm> One of the constables already on the scene speaks up. “Lights went off in the apartment about an hour and a half ago.”
5:47 PM <sila> “Late nighters, huh?”
5:47 PM <rkcgm> Constable: “Seems so.”
5:47 PM * SamLeto arranges the shemagh so his face is covered – it’s good for hiding the nervous expression he’s not sure he’s otherwise suppressing.
5:48 PM <rkcgm> Constable: “Can’t confirm if the girl is in there, though.”
5:48 PM <sila> “Do we want to have Ellie try for that one?”
5:48 PM <ellie> “If he’s not asleep, and if he knows what he’s doing better than I do, he may notice me poking around.”
5:49 PM <ellie> “I won’t necessarily know whose mind I’m touching until I touch it.”
5:49 PM <sila> “Hmm. Well I suppose we can try for straight up thermal observation. Are there two sources of bodyheat in there?”
5:50 PM <ellie> ((Who is Sila asking? I’m not sure Ellie’s abilities would tell her that…))
5:50 PM <sila> ((the constables, I guess? It’s energy detection, so I figure Sila and/or Sam actually could do that.))
5:51 PM * SamLeto looks over at the apartment. “It would take a while to sort out the energy sources from here, but we could do it, I think.”
5:51 PM <rkcgm> Constables: “Our thermal scope doesn’t give us any definite indicator on that count, ma’am.”
5:52 PM <havrasti> “How likely is she to be a danger?”
5:53 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “If she has an illegal weapon, there is that potential. But our analysis is that she is not likely to violently resist.”
5:54 PM <sila> “If we’re not in a hurry, let Sam and I try. He’s not wrong about it taking a while to sort out that much input, but as long as we get the right apartment pinned down we should be able to do it.”
5:54 PM <sila> “And then we’d know what we’re getting into.”
5:54 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Fifteen minutes, then.”
5:54 PM <ellie> “Would a telepathy link between you two help the process?”
5:54 PM <ellie> “I should be able to do that much, I’d think.”
5:55 PM <sila> “Ooh – yes, it’d let us triangulate without having to move around.”
5:55 PM <samleto> “Does anyone have a laser scope? A coherent light pointer would be a great marker for which appartment, even if it only pointed at the outside.”
5:55 PM <ellie> “Okay, then.” Ellie establishes a telepathy link between Sila and Sam.
5:56 PM <sila> !6d6: Sila casts
5:56 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Sila casts”: (3+1+5+4+2+4). Total: 19.
5:56 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
5:56 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (2+5+6+1). Total: 14.
5:57 PM <samleto> !6d6: Sam casts
5:57 PM <painbot> [SamLeto] rolled “Sam casts”: (1+1+6+4+2+6). Total: 20.
5:57 PM <sila> ((can I snag the party red?))
5:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Also, one person roll luck, no reroll.))
5:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure, fine by me.))
5:58 PM <havrasti> !6d6 : Luck
5:58 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Luck”: (4+5+4+3+2+6). Total: 24.
5:58 PM <havrasti> ((fine with taking the party red))
5:58 PM <sila> !6d6: Sila casts, with divine assistance :P
5:58 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Sila casts, with divine assistance :P”: (2+6+5+3+1+2). Total: 19.
6:01 PM <rkcgm> After a few minutes, Sam and Sila are able to determine that there are two human-like heat sources in different rooms of the apartment.
6:01 PM <sila> “That looks like a second person to me.”
6:02 PM <samleto> “Yeah, something alive, mammal, about the same size – unless he’s got a biiiig dog in the other room, it’s the lady.”
6:03 PM <sila> “In the other room, as expected.”
6:04 PM <sila> “So how do we want to go in? Front door? Anna at the window?”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “Constables Mercer and Hunter will take position under the window, just in case he tries to go out that way.”
6:05 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “The rest of us will go in the front door. I got a key from the apartment manager.”
6:06 PM <rkcgm> Campbell: “I’ll go in first. According to procedure, I have to announce that we’re RCMP and entering the room.”
6:07 PM <sila> “…announce quietly so he doesn’t wake up?”
6:07 PM * Havrasti baps Sila
6:07 PM <rkcgm> Campbell shrugs. “A risk we have to take, I’m afraid.”
6:07 PM * Sila eyes Sam
6:08 PM * SamLeto reaises his eyebrows at her
6:08 PM * Sila waits until Campbell’s back is turned, and makes an ear-covering gesture
6:08 PM * SamLeto nods
6:08 PM <ellie> ((Sila could cheat the whole sound thing – limit how far the sound travels like she boosted how Ellie’s voice travelled back in Esserea.))
6:09 PM <sila> ((That’s the plan, yes :P))
6:09 PM <ellie> ((Only I don’t know that Ellie ever knew about that – Sila took pains that she wouldn’t – so Ellie can’t suggest it. :p))
6:09 PM <havrasti> ((tsk, tsk :P ))
6:09 PM <sila> ((Sam is going to hang back, and cast to limit the sounds to only the room Campbell is actually in when he makes the announcement ;) ))
6:09 PM <ellie> ((Hehehe. Okay. So our thinking on the same wavelength remains consistent. Convenient, this time. ;-) ))
6:10 PM <sila> ((Sila, meanwhile, will stand up in front with the rest of the A team and look innocent. Because she is not casting, nope.))
6:11 PM <sila> ((they totally did this sort of thing to their mother as teenagers :P ))
6:12 PM <ellie> ((Hehehhe))
6:12 PM <rkcgm> Campbell indicates for Llewelyn and Havrasti to follow him, and then instructs Anna, Sila, and Ellie to follow them. “Also, Agent Sila – if you see the opportunity to restrain Ms. Danielson, take it; Constable Gerry will assist you.”
6:12 PM <ellie> ((Can Ellie keep something of a passive Listen for any telepathic activity?))
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((Constable Gerry is the only female constable among the six “in-crowd” RCMP officers.))
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((Sure.))
6:12 PM * Ellie will be doing so as we enter.
6:12 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll vs intermediate.))
6:13 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus intermediate
6:13 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus intermediate”: (3+2+2+2). Total: 9.
6:13 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy roll
6:13 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy roll”: (5+2+6+6+6+1). Total: 26.
6:13 PM <ellie> !2d6: will go to the party, perhaps
6:13 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “will go to the party, perhaps”: (6+2). Total: 8.
6:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Crit. Roll to replenish party coins. :P ))
6:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Red to party.))
6:14 PM <sila> ((yay, the cheap coin is back :) ))
6:15 PM * SamLeto follows at the back of the crowd and does his little parlor trick (or in this case, living room trick, since few apartments have parlors)
6:16 PM <rkcgm> Campbell leads you into the apartment building, takes out the apartment key, and very quietly slides it into the lock.
6:16 PM <samleto> !6d6: casting sound containment on the room as we enter
6:16 PM <painbot> [SamLeto] rolled “casting sound containment on the room as we enter”: (4+3+4+5+4+6). Total: 26.
6:17 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus difficult
6:17 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus difficult”: (1+3+1+3). Total: 8.
6:17 PM <rkcgm> ((I’m making a note here: nobody’s heard nothing. Huge success.))
6:18 PM <havrasti> ((Excellent))
6:19 PM * Sila notes the ever-so-slightly deadened edge to sounds that aren’t echoing off the walls /at all/ and mostly-suppresses a grin
6:19 PM * Ellie has been listening for telepathy since we entered the apartment, but she’s hearing no signs, so she’s relatively comfortable with the sense that there’s none going on. (per roll results)
6:19 PM <rkcgm> Campbell opens the door and announces (in a “I need to do this for legal purposes but I really don’t want to” voice) “Royal Canadian Mounted Police, serving arrest warrant!”
6:21 PM <rkcgm> Campbell quickly moves into the apartment, heading for the bedroom on the right.
6:22 PM * Sila heads for the door on the left
6:22 PM * Havrasti follows in
6:23 PM <llewelyn> follows.
6:23 PM * Ellie follows in with the others, keeping up but out of the way.
6:27 PM * Sila gestures to constable Gerry; they flank the presumable-woman’s door.
6:27 PM <rkcgm> Campbell tries the door to the bedroom, but it’s locked.
6:29 PM * Ellie considers the problem. She could animate the lock and tell it to unlock for them, but she’s not sure if there’s a more reliably quiet way of dealing with the issue.
6:29 PM <havrasti> W “Need a door kicked in?”
6:29 PM <rkcgm> Campbell looks irritated. “Yes.”
6:29 PM * Ellie whispers, “No.”
6:30 PM * Ellie decides to try the animation thing, if we’re already at the kicking-in-of-doors. :-p
6:30 PM <ellie> !6d6: animate the door into a friendly little lock that will let us in.
6:30 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “animate the door into a friendly little lock that will let us in.”: (1+5+6+2+5+5). Total: 24.
6:30 PM <sila> w “Come on, we’re mages, we have a dozen better ways of getting past a common door lock.”
6:31 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: difficulty
6:31 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “difficulty”: (1+3+2). Total: 6.
6:31 PM * Sila tests the other door, ditto
6:31 PM <ellie> The lock and door handle don’t move, per se, but they somehow look slightly different.
6:31 PM * Ellie whispers to it, “We need to get in, friend. Please open for us.”
6:31 PM <havrasti> W “What did you do?”
6:32 PM * Sila breathes the ghost of a laugh
6:32 PM <sila> w “One of those dozen better things, obviously.”
6:32 PM <ellie> Sila tested the door just before the animation went into effect. Thus she’s just pulling her hand away when the lock mechanism quietly clicks open, and the door handle turns of its own accord.
6:33 PM <ellie> “Thank you. You can go back to sleep, now,” Ellie whispers.
6:33 PM <ellie> The doorknob returns to its former appearance.
6:33 PM * Sila turns her full attention to her door, preparing to cast a nice paralysis spell…
6:34 PM <ellie> ((Is Havrasti still wondering what happened, or did events answer for Ellie? ;-) ))
6:34 PM <havrasti> ((probably answered enough, once he took another look with his magic sense perhaps))
6:34 PM <rkcgm> Campbell shrugs, opens the door, and moves into the room, nightstick in hand.
6:36 PM * Ellie looks inside the bedroom behind Campbell. She’s holding back while the others enter, but she’s keeping up her passive telepathy observation.
6:36 PM <rkcgm> ((I’m going to deal with Powers first, then Courtney.))
6:36 PM * Havrasti actively watches for hosile magic
6:36 PM <rkcgm> Powers was sleeping, right up until the door opens and knocks something breakable on the floor – whereupon he wakes up.
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Powers: Windows startup music. “Whuu…”
6:37 PM <rkcgm> Campbell tackles him.
6:38 PM * Ellie keeps her attention trained on telepathically “watching” Powers, but she makes sure she’s well aside for Anna.
6:38 PM * Havrasti rushes into the room and gets ready to assist if needed
6:38 PM * SamLeto steps into the room at the back of the crowd, just behind Anna
6:39 PM <llewelyn> moves into the room and grabs one of Powers’ arms.
6:40 PM <rkcgm> Anna follows Havrasti and Llewelyn into the room, ready to give a huff-and-a-puff-and-I’ll-knock-you-out.
6:41 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti and Llewelyn, roll strength to pin Powers in place, versus difficult.))
6:41 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: versus roll
6:41 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (6+6+2+5+2). Total: 21.
6:41 PM * SamLeto prepares a draong student’s first wind-control spell, with intent to control the spread of Anna’s breath and keep anyone else from falling asleep.
6:41 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Str + Wrestling
6:41 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling”: (2+1+4+4+4+4+5). Total: 24.
6:41 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Llewelyn’s strength
6:41 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s strength”: (2+4+6+4). Total: 16.
6:42 PM <ellie> ((Proposing a two-coin donation to force GM re-roll…)
6:42 PM <havrasti> ((works for me, though I only have a green))
6:42 PM <ellie> ((Ellie offers a blue. The party has a red.))
6:42 PM <sila> ((that works))
6:43 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: party re-roll
6:43 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “party re-roll”: (6+4+5+6+5). Total: 26.
6:43 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh dear.))
6:43 PM <ellie> ((…Or we could let things get a tad more interesting. :-p))
6:43 PM <havrasti> ((Imma use my green to rerell all but the 5))
6:43 PM <havrasti> !6d6 : Str + Wrestling, 5
6:43 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Str + Wrestling, 5”: (5+3+1+4+5+4). Total: 22.
6:43 PM <sila> ((ouch))
6:43 PM <havrasti> ((well then :P ))
6:43 PM <sila> ((more interesting it is!))
6:43 PM <ellie> ((I propose that this time, we let it go and try to take measures, yes.))
6:44 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay, cool. I like interesting. Otherwise this would be over in fifteen minutes. :P ))
6:44 PM <havrasti> ((finding him as slipery as an eel? :P ))
6:45 PM <sila> ((heh, if we didn’t like at least moderate doses of interesting, we wouldn’t play these kinds of games :P ))
6:46 PM <rkcgm> Powers starts thrashing when everyone grabs him, and clearly went into panicked high-adrenaline strength mode. He throws Campbell off of him (he falls to the floor) and manages to shake off any attempts by Llewelyn and Havrasti to keep him pinned down.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Let’s see… roll speed to determine order of action.))
6:47 PM <havrasti> !4d6 : Speed
6:47 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Speed”: (2+3+6+6). Total: 17.
6:47 PM <ellie> !5d6: speed
6:47 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “speed”: (4+1+5+2+3). Total: 15.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> ((Only people in this room, btw.))
6:48 PM <rkcgm> !!4d6: Llewelyn’s speed
6:48 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Powers
6:48 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Powers”: (3+3+6+3). Total: 15.
6:49 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Llewelyn x2
6:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn x2”: (5+4+1+4). Total: 14.
6:49 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, Powers, Llewelyn, Ellie, Campbell (prone)
6:49 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: and Anna
6:49 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “and Anna”: (5+5+2+2). Total: 14.
6:51 PM <rkcgm> HAVRASTI
6:53 PM <samleto> !4d6: speed
6:53 PM <painbot> [SamLeto] rolled “speed”: (3+2+1+3). Total: 9.
6:53 PM <havrasti> ((is the Powers still in bed or on his feet?))
6:54 PM <rkcgm> ((Still in bed, trying to get to his feet.))
6:54 PM * Havrasti tries to pin Powers down once again, hopefully better prepared for resistance
6:55 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: opposed wrestling
6:55 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “opposed wrestling”: (5+1+5+5+1). Total: 17.
6:55 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Wrestling
6:55 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Wrestling”: (4+3+5+2+3+5+5). Total: 27.
6:55 PM <havrasti> “You’re under arrest!”
6:56 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti pins Powers down again.
6:56 PM <rkcgm> ((But now it’s his turn.))
6:56 PM <rkcgm> !5d6: Powers tries to break free of Havrasti’s headlock.
6:56 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Powers tries to break free of Havrasti’s headlock.”: (3+6+1+2+1). Total: 13.
6:57 PM <rkcgm> ((Havrasti, oppose that, please?))
6:57 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Wrestling
6:57 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Wrestling”: (3+2+4+4+4+1+5). Total: 23.
6:59 PM <ellie> ((Do we have a party red?))
6:59 PM <sila> ((think we used it))
6:59 PM <rkcgm> ((W did, yes)
7:01 PM <ellie> ((Well… I mean, I have a green, but I’m not sure if it seems like the situation to use it, unless it would help to be able to keep the 5))
7:01 PM <sila> ((Do we still have Llewelyn’s red?))
7:03 PM <rkcgm> ((Looks like, yes. Want it?))
7:03 PM <havrasti> ((sure))
7:03 PM <sila> ((also, where is Anna in all tihs?))
7:03 PM <sila> ((this, even))
7:03 PM <havrasti> !7d6 : Wrestling, using the red
7:03 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Wrestling, using the red”: (3+1+4+4+1+1+2). Total: 16.
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((roflmao.))
7:04 PM <havrasti> (( shakes head ))
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((It hates you. :P ))
7:04 PM <ellie> ((The dicebot. It really, really hates us tonight. That, or it’s really, really bored. :-p))
7:04 PM * Havrasti is thrown off of Powers
7:04 PM <ellie> ((In point of fact, the two may not be mutually exclusive.))
7:04 PM <rkcgm> ((Anna went into the room after Havrasti and Llewelyn, but she’s a few steps back.))
7:05 PM <sila> ((I actually mean, in initiative))
7:05 PM <rkcgm> ((Ah. It’s actually her turn right now, after Powers.))
7:05 PM <rkcgm> ((But I’m going to have her delay until Llewelyn goes.))
7:07 PM <sila> ((noted))
7:07 PM <llewelyn> steps back just slightly and makes a noise of frustration. “Let’s slow you down, big guy!”
7:07 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: Llewelyn uses magic
7:07 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn uses magic”: (4+6+6+6+1+3+3+6). Total: 35.
7:07 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: I feel bad now because this doesn’t stand a chance
7:07 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “I feel bad now because this doesn’t stand a chance”: (4+1+1+3). Total: 9.
7:07 PM <ellie> ((The dicebot is MASSIVELY playing favorites tonight. :-p ))
7:08 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: crit coin
7:08 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “crit coin”: (3+2). Total: 5.
7:08 PM <sila> ((LOL))
7:08 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue))
7:08 PM <sila> ((At least he has a coin to donate to the rest of us now :P :D ))
7:09 PM <havrasti> ((heh))
7:09 PM <llewelyn> casts a glowing water-like cloud that envelops Powers, and it suddenly looks like he’s on 1/16th speed.
7:11 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Huh. Well then… a-HEM.”
7:11 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: just breathe (versus intermediate)
7:11 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “just breathe (versus intermediate)”: (5+5+3+3+4+6). Total: 26.
7:11 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
7:11 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (4+2+4+1). Total: 11.
7:12 PM <rkcgm> Powers goes out like a light, and – very slowly – falls… too… the… floor… slee…ping…
7:13 PM <ellie> “Well… that was exciting. We’d better go see if all the noise set things going in the other room…”
7:13 PM <havrasti> “That was… more difficult than I pictured.”
7:13 PM * SamLeto does his planned air-control thing, blowing excess breath off to a corner of the room (on his turn, if init still matters))
7:13 PM <rkcgm> ((Not for this room, no.))
7:13 PM <ellie> ((I’m assuming we may be slightly flashing back to Sila before this lot can get there?))
7:14 PM <rkcgm> ((Other half of the party! Sila and Constable Gerry, other door!))
7:14 PM <rkcgm> ((Roll speed!))
7:14 PM <sila> !5d6
7:14 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “5d6”: (3+6+2+4+1). Total: 16.
7:15 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: Courtney’s speed
7:15 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Courtney’s speed”: (4+6+6). Total: 16.
7:15 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Constable Gerry’s speed
7:15 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Constable Gerry’s speed”: (6+4+4+1). Total: 15.
7:15 PM <ellie> ((Oh dear. The dice want things interesting. Again. :p))
7:16 PM <rkcgm> ((So… Courtney, Gerry, Sila.))
7:16 PM <sila> ((talking is still free, right?))
7:17 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes, but wait one moment. Have you already opened the door, yes or no?))
7:18 PM <sila> (I’m waiting for her to open the door, with intent to immediately give the Formal Announcement, and then cast if she so much as twitches the wrong way.)
7:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay then.))
7:18 PM <rkcgm> Courtney doesn’t open the door; Sila can’t determine what, if anything, she has done.
7:18 PM <sila> (Of course, I haven’t said this aloud to Gerry, so…the turn order makes complete if accidental sense. Sila is prepared, but wastes her initiative by talking and ends up moving last))
7:19 PM <sila> ((…oooor things might go sideways ;) ))
7:19 PM <rkcgm> ((It’ll be Gerry’s turn, unless you choose to talk.))
7:19 PM <sila> w “Royal Canadian Mounted Police, serving arrest warrant – remain silent.”
7:19 PM <rkcgm> ((At a whisper?))
7:20 PM * Sila hisses this in an undertone at the keyhole, more or less, since the scuffle is not yet in full swing on the other side of the hallway.
7:21 PM <sila> (punctuated, I presume, by the sound of breaking glass-or-something :P )
7:22 PM <rkcgm> Constable Gerry tries the door, finds it locked, draws her handgun and turns on the tactical flashlight. “Shall I kick it down, Agent?”
7:22 PM <rkcgm> SILA
7:23 PM * Sila applies some magically sourced force to the internals of the lock instead, forcing the latch into the open position and sticking it there.
7:23 PM <sila> !6d6: another of the dozen better methods, hopefully
7:23 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “another of the dozen better methods, hopefully”: (3+6+5+5+1+5). Total: 25.
7:24 PM * Sila mumbles, “Moment…”
7:24 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: standard enough
7:24 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard enough”: (3+6+6). Total: 15.
7:25 PM <sila> (( >.< ))
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((For the record, I as a GM find this utterly hilarious.))
7:25 PM <sila> ((Can I maybe have that blue?))
7:25 PM <ellie> ((Ptttht. You would. :-p))
7:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes, because I’m a troll.))
7:26 PM <sila> !3d6: keeping 6,5,1
7:26 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “keeping 6,5,1”: (1+6+3). Total: 10.
7:26 PM <rkcgm> ((And yes, you can have either Llewelyn’s blue or the party blue.))
7:26 PM <sila> ((oh, the other yes was something else? heh. I’ll have the party’s coin I guess."
7:26 PM <sila> ))
7:27 PM <ellie> ((It was yes as to why he’s finding the dice rolls hilarious. :p I /knew/ it was going to be unclear, though. :-p ))
7:27 PM <sila> ((heh, considering the way coin rolls have been going this session, it made sufficient sense :P :P ))
7:28 PM <ellie> (("I’m a troll and I want to see it /still/ not work? ;-) ))
7:28 PM <sila> ((Basically ;) ))
7:28 PM <sila> “…got it.”
7:29 PM <rkcgm> ((So 665311, looks like?))
7:29 PM <sila> ((that’s what I’m seeing))
7:29 PM <rkcgm> The door is unlocked.
7:29 PM <rkcgm> There is a feminine shriek from inside.
7:30 PM <rkcgm> Constable Gerry opens the door and steps into the room.
7:30 PM <sila> “Mounties! This is an arrest!”
7:31 PM <rkcgm> Something flies in the direction of Sila and Constable Gerry.
7:32 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: Gerry’s speed to duck (versus easy)
7:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Gerry’s speed to duck (versus easy)”: (6+4+4+2). Total: 16.
7:32 PM <rkcgm> !2d6: versus roll
7:32 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+3). Total: 5.
7:32 PM <rkcgm> Constable Gerry ducks. The object arcs towards Sila. It’s a stuffed bear.
7:32 PM * Sila ‘s mind, in emergency hyper-processing mode, goes, "I can see it, it’s not a bullet…I’m glad the constable’s in front of me…uh oh, she’s ducking…"
7:33 PM <rkcgm> SILA!
7:33 PM * Sila bites at the flying fuzzy and gets a mouthfull of plush :P
7:33 PM <sila> Ptui! “It’s still resisting arrest even if it’s not effective, Courtney! Stand down!”
7:34 PM * Sila steps in and to one side, and tries her originally planned paralysis spell
7:34 PM <sila> !6d6: Stop Everything (OK, not the vital functions…)
7:34 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “Stop Everything (OK, not the vital functions…)”: (3+1+5+4+5+3). Total: 21.
7:38 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: Courtney’s resistance roll
7:38 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Courtney’s resistance roll”: (1+4+3). Total: 8.
7:38 PM <rkcgm> The shrieking redoubles, since that’s all she can do now.
7:39 PM <sila> "You know…I’m a loan officer from America, but I’m pretty sure you Canadians also have the right to /remain silent./ "
7:39 PM <ellie> (( :-)) ))
7:40 PM <rkcgm> Gerry: “They have the right, but not always the capability or desire…”
7:40 PM * Sila sighs
7:40 PM <sila> “Yeah, that’s probably universal.”
7:40 PM * Sila checks across the hallway.
7:41 PM <rkcgm> Gerry flicks on her tac-light and illuminates Courtney, in her nightgown, standing on top of her bed with a baseball bat, frozen in place.
7:43 PM <rkcgm> ((And yes, initiative is over.))
7:43 PM * Ellie calls from the other room, “Is everything okay over there?”
7:43 PM * Ellie follows up her words with walking over to check, since she is, after all, hearing the shrieking. :p
7:44 PM <ellie> “We’ve got Powers in custody.”
7:44 PM * Havrasti picks up the sleeping Powers
7:45 PM <sila> "Yeah, she’s paralyzed – spinal nerve block, very unnerving. Er, so to speak. She’ll be fine anytime she stops panicking so I can unblock her though.
7:45 PM * Sila picks up the bear
7:46 PM * Ellie walks to the door of the room. “Ms. Danielson, please calm down. We’re with the RCMP. You’re not in danger; we just want to ask you a few questions.”
7:46 PM <sila> “Ugh, I can’t believe I bit this thing. Instincts…no damage though.”
7:46 PM <rkcgm> ((Charisma versus intermediate for Ellie.))
7:46 PM <ellie> !7d6: persuasive charisma
7:46 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “persuasive charisma”: (2+3+5+2+5+3+4). Total: 24.
7:46 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus
7:46 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (3+5+5+6). Total: 19.
7:47 PM * Sila gently replaces the bat with the teddy bear
7:47 PM <ellie> ((I have a green, unless there’s a blue out there someone would like to donate?))
7:47 PM <ellie> ((Or I can wait a few minutes and try again.))
7:47 PM <sila> ((circumstance bonus from toy return? :P ))
7:48 PM * Ellie takes a breath and stands calmly at the door, showing her empty hands to Courtney. (toy return might actually be more unnerving. :p ))
7:48 PM <rkcgm> Campbell handcuffs the unconscious Powers. "
7:49 PM * Ellie waits for Courtney to maybe start breathing a little easier. Even a panic attack can’t last forever. “Ms. Danielson, when you calm down, you’ll be allowed to move again, and we can see about giving you a chance to dress.”
7:50 PM <rkcgm> Courtney stops screeching. “Why can’t I move? You have no right to be here! This is my apartment! I have rights!”
7:52 PM <ellie> “We’re here under the authority of an arrest warrant. You do still have rights, but you need to come with us.”
7:53 PM <ellie> “If you calm down, we can work things out for you to be able to change into proper clothing before you do.”
7:55 PM * Havrasti brings Powers out to the paddy wagon/cop car
7:55 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “You’re ARRESTING me? You’re arresting ME? Don’t you know who I am? I’m famous on internet! I have a hundred thousand follows!”
7:56 PM <rkcgm> Gerry: “Two hundred and fifty-five, actually.”
7:57 PM <ellie> “To be precise, we are arresting Mr. Powers. However, we have authority to detain you as a person of interest in his case. At the moment, all we need to do is ask you some questions about him. If you cooperate, it’s likely you have nothing to worry about.”
7:57 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “Powers? Who?”
7:59 PM <ellie> “Aaah, I forgot. You know him as [insert name here]. However, he is known and wanted by the Australian government as [first name] Powers on various charges. The RCMP is arresting and extraditing him.”
8:00 PM * Havrasti returns to the others
8:00 PM <rkcgm> ((He was going under the name Richard Lee.))
8:00 PM <havrasti> “Is she coming along yet?”
8:01 PM <ellie> ((And his other name is Ted Powers.))
8:01 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “I have n… eeek! I want my bathrobe please!”
8:01 PM <havrasti> “Can’t blame anyone but yourself for not getting dressed when only ladies were present.”
8:02 PM * Havrasti does stop looking in the door though
8:02 PM * Sila finds the bathrobe
8:02 PM <ellie> “Could any males please remain out of the room for the present?” Ellie asks pointedly.
8:02 PM <ellie> ((Ellie didn’t want to give her the bathrobe, per se, for fear she might be planning something. Had another alternative in mind…))
8:03 PM <ellie> “As I said, once you’re calm and willing to cooperate, we can work out allowing you to dress.”
8:03 PM <sila> ((say so before Sila hands it over then :P ))
8:03 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “I… all right, I’ll cooperate, but I want my lawyer!”
8:03 PM <sila> “Is this the one you’re looking for?”
8:03 PM <ellie> “Better to just let her get dressed.”
8:03 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “…er, I can have a lawyer, right? …I’m not sure I can pay for that…”
8:04 PM <sila> “All right, all right, I’ll let her go.”
8:04 PM * Ellie looks to the officer from Canada for their protocol regarding lawyers and such.
8:04 PM <sila> “Get ready, Miss, you don’t want to fall off the bed.”
8:04 PM * Sila dismisses the nerve block.
8:05 PM <rkcgm> Courtney doesn’t fall off the bed, but comes close.
8:07 PM <sila> “Put on something reasonable for going to the station, grab your wallet and/or ID, and lets go.”
8:07 PM <sila> “If you behave, we’ll just forget the whole ‘resisting arrest with teddybear’ bit, OK?”
8:08 PM <ellie> “Okay, Ms. Danielson, this is how we’re going to do this: the three of us ladies are going to stay in here. We’ll close the door, and we’ll turn our backs to allow you to dress. Constable Gerry, would you take up a station by the window? And maybe Agent Dvorak, you could take up the position by the door?”
8:08 PM * Ellie also turns around toward the wall. She keeps a telepathy watch on Courtney to anticipate any resistance.
8:08 PM <sila> “Sure.”
8:09 PM * Sila picks up the baseball bat first, just so it’s not a temptation.
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Courtney dresses and thinks about how to get out of this without doing prison time.
8:10 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “All… all right, I’m ready…”
8:11 PM * Ellie turns back around. “Thank you.” Ellie presumes that Constable Gerry will say something if there’s a need for handcuffs, etc.
8:13 PM <sila> “Look, in all seriousness, calm down. You’re not the one who’s wanted in Australia, OK? You have to come talk, but you’re not necessarily in trouble, yourself.”
8:14 PM <rkcgm> Courtney: “This is about Rick? What are you arresting him for?”
8:14 PM <sila> “I know it’s too much to ask that you should not be nervous; anyone would be. But don’t panic.”
8:15 PM <sila> “And I think the head of the investigation would like to ask you those questions before we tell you any more about Rick.”
8:16 PM <sila> “…but hey, wait a few weeks for the legal bits to become public, and you’ll have quite a story for your blog or whatever, eh? What are you famous for?”
8:16 PM <rkcgm> Campbell pops in. “We’re wrapped up here. Ms. Danielson, please accompany us down to the station.”
8:17 PM <rkcgm> Constable Gerry: “Telling crude jokes about politicians, mainly.”
8:18 PM <sila> “Ah…not really my thing.”
8:19 PM <havrasti> “She’s more into sophisticated jokes.”
8:19 PM <sila> “Hee.”
8:20 PM <rkcgm> Campbell gets everyone moving again, and has Constable Gerry put Courtney into one of the patrol cars.
8:21 PM <rkcgm> The van with Powers (unconscious) is waiting for you, but Anna has been giving him repeated doses of snooze gas.
8:21 PM <rkcgm> In fact, he’s out so hard that you could conduct surgery on him.
8:21 PM <rkcgm> ((But please don’t.))
8:22 PM <havrasti> ((But brain surgery could be useful! :P ;) ))
8:22 PM <sila> “Time for a long, hopefully boring, airplane ride.”
8:22 PM <ellie> ((It would be irresponsible to conduct unnecessary surgery. :-p))
8:24 PM <sila> ((and hard to explain, legally :P ))
8:25 PM <rkcgm> ((Shall we wrap up here for the week?))
8:26 PM <ellie> ((I leave the vote to you guys))
8:26 PM <havrasti> ((well, how much more do you think there is to this particular adventure?))
8:26 PM <rkcgm> ((One or two weeks.))
8:26 PM <rkcgm> ((At most.))
8:27 PM <ellie> ((We probably will be part of any questioning? And then there’s travel))
8:27 PM <rkcgm> ((Not necessarily.))
8:28 PM <sila> ((I’m OK either way. It’s getting a little late by your usual schedule, I know.))
8:28 PM <sila> ((Do you have to get up early next week?))
8:28 PM <sila> ((…do you have to get up early TOMORROW))
8:28 PM <rkcgm> ((Normal time.))
8:28 PM <sila> (( (darn it hands, type what I’m thinking, not whatever you want :P ) ))
8:29 PM <ellie> ((Hee. We decided to go to the main service rather than the sunrise service they’re having. Because being there by 6:30 am for a 7:00 service was very, very no. :-p ))
8:29 PM <havrasti> (( hehehe ))
8:29 PM <havrasti> yeah, we’d have a similar reaction :P
8:30 PM <ellie> At first we thought it was going to be the only service, and I was going to feel reluctantly obligated to go. But with normal time still going? Yeaaaaahno. :-p
8:30 PM <havrasti> ((I’m ok with stopping for the week))
8:30 PM <dragonhawk> Heh, I’d definitely feel the same way.
8:31 PM <dragonhawk> I mean it’s all symbolic and stuff but…so is staying awake through the whole service.
8:31 PM <wayfarer> Hee
== END LOG ==

== START LOG ==
5:24 PM <rkcgm> YOU HAVE ARRESTED AN AUSTRALIAN MISCREANT!
5:24 PM <rkcgm> You have an airplane!
5:24 PM <rkcgm> WHAT are you going to DO with him?
5:24 PM * Sila is going to put him into an airplane and /make sure he stays asleep/
5:24 PM <havrasti> ((have an unfortunate accident midway across the Pacific?"))
5:26 PM <sila> ((no, no, then we’d have to fly the others home in full form, tedious and hard to maintain proper stealth at landing.))
5:26 PM * Havrasti will do the flying as usual, of course
5:26 PM <sila> ((or were you thinking of a less comprehensive “accident” ?))
5:27 PM <havrasti> ((insecure door latch just as he got up to use the facilities, alas))
5:27 PM <havrasti> ((but no, not really :P ))
5:27 PM <rkcgm> ((How very Argentine of you. :P ))
5:28 PM <wayfarer> ((If you tried /that/ plot, it would be Ellie you’d have to keep asleep all that time. :-p ))
5:29 PM <havrasti> ((fortuantely that won’t happen ;) ))
5:30 PM * Sila spends some boring flight time plotting Business with Sam and Anna
5:30 PM * Ellie presumes we’re doing with him whatever the RCMP told us to do with them.
5:31 PM <havrasti> (and the reason we’re going at all is because we’re the ones powerful enough to deal with a telepath if something should go wrong, right?)
5:31 PM <rkcgm> ((So are we on the plane then? I was thinking you intended to still be on the ground and stuff…))
5:31 PM <sila> (magically clued in… capable of handing the plane without bringing outsiders into it… )
5:32 PM <ellie> ((Ellie would have been curious what the owner of the apartment knew about him.))
5:32 PM <ellie> ((Even if that was told us just through a briefing on the questioning.))
5:32 PM <havrasti> ((oh, I don’t feel the need to RP the plane trip itself))
5:32 PM <sila> ((Oh, I thought we were skipping to the plane. Wasn’t the plan basically “capture the guy, get him to Australia ASAP, make him their problem” basically?"
5:32 PM <sila> ))
5:32 PM <rkcgm> ((OOOH, but unfortunately you ARE going to RP the plane trip itself, mwahaha.))
5:33 PM <ellie> ((Ellie wants to know how the questioning went, then. :-p ))
5:33 PM <sila> ((Heh, OK then, consider my post above a plan rather than an action ;) ))
5:34 PM <rkcgm> ((Let me re-set the scene.))
5:35 PM <rkcgm> After a busy early-morning session where the RCMP proves that, yes, they have the right guy and yes, they have the legal authority to extradite him immediately, you were driven to the airport by Commissioner Campbell and the other RCMP officers.
5:37 PM <rkcgm> Accompanying you will be Sam and Anna, the latter as official-keeper-of-paperwork-and-also-medical-sleeping-agent-administrator.
5:38 PM <havrasti> ((figured she come along ;) ))
5:40 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh, dear. I forgot a thing.))
5:40 PM <sila> ((She’d have to, she’s the only actual RCMP agent aboard. :P ))
5:40 PM <rkcgm> ((Actually, they WON’T be coming, because they were supposed to go to Anna’s family afterward.))
5:41 PM <havrasti> ((ah, after the return?))
5:41 PM <ellie> ((That wasn’t what was stated last session.))
5:42 PM <sila> ((I figured we’d fly Anna back and find out about the interrogations then?))
5:42 PM <sila> ((and then family))
5:42 PM <ellie> ((…We’re flying across a really, really long ocean…))
5:42 PM <ellie> ((That’s rather a long, “Oh, wait, let’s just do this really quick in between” delay.))
5:43 PM <ellie> ((Up to GM whether to retcon, though.))
5:43 PM <rkcgm> ((Yes. So… Anna gives you a canister of xenon gas. :P ))
5:43 PM <sila> ((aw. Catch up with brother plan thwarted.))
5:43 PM <havrasti> ((oh well))
5:45 PM <rkcgm> ((Maybe later.))
5:45 PM * Sila hugs her brother goodby and threatens – er, promises – to get all the details of the meeting later.
5:45 PM <llewelyn> lowers the air-stair to the plane and climbs up, ready to help lug Powers aboard.
5:46 PM <sila> “OK so we just put the mask on, and twist this valve here…?”
5:48 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Yup!”
5:49 PM <rkcgm> Anna: “Not too often, though… should have more than enough for the flight, probably only a few seconds dose every hour.”
5:50 PM <sila> “OK. I wish you were coming but…good luck with your folks!”
5:50 PM * Sila sets her phone to ring an alarm every hour.
5:54 PM * Havrasti takes us up
5:55 PM * Ellie also notes the instructions, in case Sila ends up busy at the appropriate time. She back-ups Sila’s alarm with her own phone alarm.
5:55 PM * Sila double-checks Ellie on the cannister’s functions too
5:57 PM <sila> “So I guess we dose him hourly or if-and-whenever he seems to be waking up.”
5:58 PM <sila> “…I bet this is the first flight where you’ve offered any of the passengers complimentary anesthetics! Well, other than alcohol.”
5:58 PM <llewelyn>, Sam, and some of the others help get the comatose Powers into a seat on the plane (whereupon he is handcuffed to it).
6:01 PM <ellie> Once everyone’s in and secured, Ellie settles herself in for the flight.
6:03 PM <rkcgm> Havrasti, your best flight-path (and the one you hopefully filed with the tower) is to refuel at LA, Honolulu, Suva (Fiji!) prior to arriving in Canberra.
6:03 PM <havrasti> “Everyone ready?”
6:03 PM <llewelyn>: “Door closed, everyone’s aboard…”
6:05 PM * Havrasti starts the engines, etc.
6:08 PM * Havrasti takes us up to a cruising altitude and turns off the seatbelt light.
6:09 PM * Sila doublechecks the flight path as part of her pilot-training exercises
6:11 PM <rkcgm> Roll for perception vs standard
6:11 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: versus standard
6:11 PM <rkcgm> ((Oh dear! Oh dear! No dice!))
6:12 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
6:12 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (6+5+4+2+4). Total: 21.
6:12 PM <havrasti> ((pilot is all nice and alert, this is a good thing ;) ))
6:12 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: standard
6:12 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “standard”: (6+4+2). Total: 12.
6:12 PM <ellie> !6d6: Perception
6:12 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Perception”: (5+1+4+1+6+1). Total: 18.
6:12 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: Llewelyn’s perception
6:12 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s perception”: (1+1+3+6+2+5). Total: 18.
6:13 PM <sila> !6d6
6:13 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (4+3+3+1+3+1). Total: 15.
6:13 PM <sila> ((ouch.))
6:15 PM <rkcgm> Everything seems normal.
6:16 PM * Havrasti flies along relaxed
6:17 PM * Sila serves a drink to Ellie, just for fun
6:17 PM * Ellie giggles.
6:17 PM * Ellie thanks Sila. :-D
6:17 PM <rkcgm> The flight passes slowly as you head for Los Angeles and your first fuel stop. (Actually, it’s an airport well outside of LA, but whatever.)
6:18 PM <rkcgm> About an hour passes.
6:18 PM <sila> ((long enough for the phone alarms to go off?))
6:18 PM <ellie> At the first hour point, when it comes time to check our prisoner’s dosage, Ellie also decides to do a telepathy scan check, just to be careful.
6:18 PM <ellie> ((So yes. We got the hour marker because I asked for it for that reason.))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> ((Difficulty versus intermediate.))
6:18 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
6:18 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (2+2+6+1). Total: 11.
6:19 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy check
6:19 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy check”: (3+1+2+2+3+2). Total: 13.
6:19 PM <ellie> ((…))
6:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue?))
6:19 PM <ellie> ((…Yeah, I think so. That’s just plain pathetic :p ))
6:19 PM <rkcgm> ((Llewelyn donates blue.))
6:20 PM <ellie> !5d6: Keeping the 1 perforce
6:20 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “Keeping the 1 perforce”: (2+1+2+4+4). Total: 13.
6:20 PM * Sila heads back to turn on the gas, in response to the alarm
6:20 PM * Ellie slaps dicebot. :p
6:20 PM <havrasti> ((tsk, tsk))
6:20 PM <ellie> ((It was TOTALLY called for. :-p ))
6:21 PM <havrasti> ((I was tsking the dicebot))
6:21 PM <ellie> ((Aaah, okay. Well, then that’s called for, too. ;-) ))
6:22 PM <ellie> ((Ellie doesn’t realize her failure, but will be trying the same at each hour point.)
6:22 PM <rkcgm> Ellie notices nothing untoward.
6:22 PM * Sila turns on the gas and counts three seconds
6:25 PM <rkcgm> The ‘nothing’ that you expected to happen… happens.
6:25 PM * Sila turns off the gas and goes back forward
6:27 PM * Ellie settles back into having Llewelyn teach her High Elvish. Tutoring lessons were a special assignment from her grandmother.
6:27 PM <ellie> (“Now that you’re courting my granddaughter, young man, you’d better share with her some of the heritage she hasn’t had a chance to learn…”)
6:27 PM <ellie> (;-) )
6:28 PM * Sila doesn’t listen to the whole lesson, but she learns to decline the noun “dragon” and conjugate the verb “run”
6:28 PM <ellie> ((:-p ))
6:28 PM <ellie> ((Yes, because those are really the words Llewelyn would start with. :-p ;-) ))
6:28 PM <llewelyn> finds he has to struggle a bit, since it’s been a few years for him.
6:29 PM * Sila makes special requests of course :P
6:30 PM <llewelyn>: “The word for Dragon? Well, in most Elvish dialects, it’s pronounced ‘Aaaiiieee’.”
6:30 PM * Havrasti laughs
6:30 PM <havrasti> “I remember hearing that a lot in my youth!”
6:31 PM * Sila LOLs
6:31 PM <llewelyn>: “I bet.”
6:36 PM <llewelyn>: “In the case of a more scholarly approach to the topic, the word used is ‘nraig’.”
6:39 PM <havrasti> ((based on a rela world language, or made up? I never know with you :P ;) ))
6:39 PM <sila> “N-raig. Naraig? Nnnraigggh.”
6:40 PM <sila> “…sounds unnervingly like Draconic for … not sure of the English, maybe ‘usurper,’ actually. I wonder if there’s a semantic connection?”
6:41 PM <ellie> “Hmmm. I could see the potential, just off-hand.”
6:42 PM <llewelyn>: “The dragon of Revelation, perhaps?”
6:42 PM * Sila growls the draconic; it sounds like a curse word. “Naaraiggghhe!” (Havrasti hears a word for “you think you’re the boss of me but you don’t deserve the position!”)
6:42 PM <havrasti> “…Not a good association.”
6:43 PM <ellie> “Oh, huh. Perhaps. I was just thinking of something that was probably more improbable – a historical case of a dragon taking over an early Elvish area and ruling for a while. I could see the potential for loan-words in that situation.”
6:43 PM <sila> “That’s more what I was imagining.”
6:44 PM <sila> “Still not a good association, actually, but there you have it.”
6:45 PM <llewelyn>: “Hm, perhaps I’m overthinking it.”
6:46 PM * Ellie shrugs. “It’s all interesting conjecture, but we could hardly say for sure, anyway.”
6:46 PM * Ellie continues studies.
6:46 PM <rkcgm> ((It’s been about an hour again; roll notice.))
6:47 PM <rkcgm> !3d6: notice versus check
6:47 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “notice versus check”: (6+2+4). Total: 12.
6:47 PM <ellie> !6d6: notice
6:47 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “notice”: (3+6+4+3+2+3). Total: 21.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> !6d6: Llewelyn’s notice check
6:47 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “Llewelyn’s notice check”: (1+5+2+1+4+5). Total: 18.
6:47 PM <llewelyn> is busy discussing things.
6:47 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy monitor
6:47 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy monitor”: (3+4+1+4+5+5). Total: 22.
6:47 PM <sila> !6d6
6:47 PM <painbot> [Sila] rolled “6d6”: (2+3+1+1+3+2). Total: 12.
6:47 PM <havrasti> !5d6 : Perception
6:47 PM <painbot> [Havrasti] rolled “Perception”: (1+2+6+3+1). Total: 13.
6:47 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll for Ellie
6:47 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll for Ellie”: (2+4+2+4). Total: 12.
6:48 PM * Sila (( is SO Oblivious this trip! >.< ))
6:48 PM <rkcgm> Ellie is able to determine that Powers is pretty much out of it – no lights on upstairs. Odd that she didn’t sense it quite so definitely earlier.
6:48 PM * Sila is so busy imagining scenarios in which the word might have been coopted by the Elvish language that she barely hears the phone alarm.
6:49 PM * Sila heads back to tweak the gas
6:50 PM * Ellie is somewhat concerned about her last check being so different, and decides to check again in about a half-hour.
6:51 PM <sila> “One naaraighe, two naaraighe, three naaraighe…”
6:51 PM <sila> “Aaaand off. Have nightmares, jerk.”
6:52 PM * Havrasti is checking his controls
6:56 PM <rkcgm> Another hour and it’s time for the descent into LA for fuel…
6:56 PM * Sila responds to the alarm again
6:56 PM * Ellie again checks telepathy…
6:57 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy
6:57 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy”: (5+1+1+6+3+6). Total: 22.
6:57 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
6:57 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (6+2+5+3). Total: 16.
6:57 PM <ellie> ((May I stipulate something?))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Go ahead??))
6:58 PM <ellie> ((Telepathy checks are being made before the administration of the new dose of xenon))
6:58 PM <ellie> ((or at least, this one is.))
6:58 PM <rkcgm> ((Okay.))
6:59 PM <rkcgm> Ellie determines that the xenon is definitely keeping him down, but missing an hourly check could become problematic.
7:00 PM <sila> ((I’ve been assuming she makes her check while Sila is heading for the cylinder, yes))
7:00 PM * Ellie informs the others of this fact.
7:00 PM * Sila nods and turns on the valve
7:00 PM <ellie> “Yeah, he was still out, but I thought I was beginning to get some more coherent thoughts stirring.”
7:01 PM <sila> “One flying elephant, two flying elephant, three flying elephant, Off.”
7:02 PM <havrasti> “Oh, flying elephant, that’d be fun to chase.”
7:03 PM <sila> “Hah! It might be. If we’re ever in Africa, maybe Llewelyn can enchant one for us to find out.”
7:03 PM <ellie> “…The poor elephant.”
7:03 PM <sila> “Does Esserea have elephants?”
7:04 PM <llewelyn>: “I’d never seen one, but that’s hardly convincing. The boundaries of the Known World in Esserea are much closer than on Earth.”
7:06 PM <sila> “But is that because the world is unexplored, or is it actually smaller?”
7:07 PM <llewelyn>: “I lack data to provide an adequate answer.”
7:07 PM <sila> “Huh. We should export a few missionaries and an airplane or three.”
7:07 PM <sila> “Open up new frontiers in missions aviation, yessir.”
7:09 PM * Ellie presumes we’re staying aboard for the stop in LA?
7:09 PM <llewelyn>: “I might get out and stretch. This plane is way too short for me.”
7:10 PM <ellie> “Mmm… if we need to take a break, I propose half of us stay and half of us go.”
7:10 PM <ellie> “We may have him out, but I don’t trust leaving him alone.”
7:10 PM <llewelyn>: “Take shifts.”
7:10 PM <ellie> "Yeah.
7:11 PM <ellie> “And for my part, I don’t really care if I get out at all. So there’s that.”
7:11 PM <havrasti> “You two can go while Sila and I stay, and then switch.”
7:11 PM <sila> “Makes sense. It’s just a refueling stop, we won’t be walking far anyway.”
7:11 PM * Ellie shrugs. “Okay, we can do that.”
7:12 PM * Ellie goes along to keep Llewelyn company on his shift out.
7:13 PM <llewelyn> goes outside, stretches, runs around, does a few push-ups. He must be feeling really tired of that plane.
7:13 PM * Havrasti keeps Sila company back in the cabin while watching over Powers
7:14 PM * Ellie is nowhere nearly that energetic. :-p She walks around a bit. Then sits on the steps to the plane while she waits for Llewelyn to be ready to come back aboard.
7:15 PM <sila> “I wonder if there are whole races of elves we don’t know about just because we’re in most contact with…huh, does Ilfirin count as a race?..anyway, the real question is, is Earth most-connected to that one area, or might there be portals to Parts Unknown hidden around our world?”
7:15 PM <llewelyn> eventually comes back aboard.
7:16 PM * Sila hides behind the plane and pops off her jewel for a moment to make a real stretch!
7:17 PM <sila> “Aaaah. OK, jewel back on.” (sigh)
7:17 PM <sila> “And Llewelyn thinks the plane is too small for him, hah.”
7:18 PM * Havrasti doesn’t attempt the full form stretch, a bit more complicated for him, but he does scritch off some loose scales on Sila
7:21 PM * Ellie is on “keep an extra-close eye” watch until Sila and Havrasti get back on the plane and settled in again.
7:22 PM * Sila casts an interested eye on the refueling process
7:22 PM <rkcgm> The plane is refueled and you’re ready to go again.
7:23 PM <sila> “Ellie, Llewelyn, I’m closing the door! Everybody in?”
7:23 PM <llewelyn> is already in. “Ready.”
7:23 PM <llewelyn>: “Next stop, Honolulu.”
7:23 PM <sila> “Too bad we can’t stop off and visit the dragon colony.”
7:24 PM <havrasti> “Door closed, engines engage.”
7:24 PM <sila> “They lack runways, though.”
7:27 PM <llewelyn>: “Unfortunate.”
7:27 PM <rkcgm> The tower gives Havrasti permission to take off.
7:28 PM <sila> “It could be fixed, in time. Once they get beyond ‘caves are efficient shelters’ and up to ‘we want to interact with the rest of the world’ levels.”
7:28 PM * Havrasti lifts off
7:30 PM <ellie> Forty-five minutes after our last xenon-dosing, Ellie decides to do a spur-of-the-moment telepathy check.
7:30 PM <ellie> !6d6: telepathy
7:30 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “telepathy”: (6+4+3+2+6+5). Total: 26.
7:30 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus
7:30 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus”: (4+2+2+5). Total: 13.
7:30 PM <ellie> !2d6: crit coin
7:30 PM <painbot> [Ellie] rolled “crit coin”: (1+4). Total: 5.
7:30 PM <rkcgm> ((Same result, showing he’s still out of it.))
7:31 PM <rkcgm> ((Blue.))
7:31 PM * Ellie feels a little easier.
7:33 PM <rkcgm> The flight to Honolulu goes without incident. By this time, it’s… actually, it’s morning in Honolulu, but evening for the amount of time you’ve been awake.
7:34 PM <ellie> “Hmmm, maybe going to begin needing to take sleep shifts, huh?”
7:34 PM <ellie> "Or were we just going to stop here so Havrasti could get some sleep?
7:34 PM * Sila continues using amusing one-second-words to break up the monotony when counting off the “passenger’s” three-second doses.
7:35 PM <havrasti> “I might be a bit tired, yeah.”
7:37 PM <ellie> “Well… sounds like Llewelyn is going to be on anaesthesia watch for a while…”
7:38 PM <sila> “We should probably not drop all the way down to single person shifts. I mean…paranoia is good when transporting guys like him. Keep backup available.”
7:39 PM <ellie> “I’m just figuring on… he doesn’t need as much sleep as the rest of us. Which is worse – to have a single-man shift for a while, or to have some or all of us running on low sleep?”
7:40 PM <sila> “All of us get sleep, just some at different times. One person stays up to back up Llewelyn, then goes to sleep when the others wake up.”
7:40 PM <llewelyn>: “I don’t have a problem with either of those options. I can also do… this.”
7:40 PM <rkcgm> !8d6: sorcery versus intermediate
7:40 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “sorcery versus intermediate”: (2+3+1+6+1+3+3+4). Total: 23.
7:40 PM <rkcgm> !4d6: versus roll
7:40 PM <painbot> [RKCGM] rolled “versus roll”: (4+3+1+3). Total: 11.
7:41 PM <rkcgm> You all feel like you’ve just woken up from a nice nap.
7:41 PM <havrasti> “…Oh, I guess that works too.”
7:41 PM <ellie> “Actually, not stopping at all probably /is/ the better option.”
7:42 PM <sila> “Maybe we can stop on the way back?”
7:42 PM <ellie> “I don’t mind that.”